Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Mrs May does back military strikes against Syria it will be

Comments

• Options
    kle4 said:

Everyone is missing the MOST IMPORTANT question about the Syria crisis:

Is Assad pro or anti Corbyn?

For fun I tried to put that into Google to see what would come up, and accidentally pasted it into a ebay search bar instead- 0 results, but the first imperfect result it came up with was a 'F*** ISIS' T shirt.
    Are ISIS pro or anti Corbyn? Hmm? Because I can assure you that EVERY political decision must be put through the "are they pro or anti Corbyn" filter.

Someone should tell YouGov st Al as they are missing a question on their polls
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited April 2018
    Depends on which poll you look at, a Sky poll this week had 36% of voters backing missile strikes against the Assad regime in response to its chemical wweapons attack and 37% opposed, so effectively tied

https://mobile.twitter.com/britainelects/status/984150100896288769

In any case it is Macron taking the European lead on strikes not May
  • Options
    Apparently Hunt broke anti money laundering legislation according to the Telegraph
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:
    Why the BBC didn't just apologise like the plod and move on is beyond me.

Instead it is now being built up into some massive test case and could end up being extremely expensive.
    How did the South Yorrkshire police come to be involved? His house was in Berkshire
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    HYUFD said:

Apparently Hunt broke anti money laundering legislation according to the Telegraph
    Sounds like a very good reason to sack someone from the Cabinet, if so. I'm actually relatively positive toward the man, but unless there's a compelling reason he should not be (a non political reason) how can you not be sacked for that?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2018
    Mr Corbyn responded by saying that "somebody was obviously responsible for it and that somebody has to be found". The student subsequently asked Mr Corbyn: "You don't think it's Putin?". Mr Corbyn responded: "I don't say it is or isn't. I say an investigation must take place so...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/12/jeremy-corbyn-confronted-sixth-former-refuses-say-putin-behind/

He just can't admit it can he. Unless Putin comes out on tv and says I did it, Jezza will keep trying to use weasel words.

If Trump was doing this the media would be doing their nut.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not good for his leadership prospects - another one of the list

Bring on the new intake
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Jo Johnson on Question Time and while he has made some reasonably sensible points he comes across as very dull, I think we can see where all the charisma genes went in the Johnson family
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Roger said:

Roger said:
    Why the BBC didn't just apologise like the plod and move on is beyond me.

Instead it is now being built up into some massive test case and could end up being extremely expensive.
    How did the South Yorrkshire police come to be involved? His house was in Berkshire
    I guess because the allegation was based around an event that took place in South Yorkshire.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Mr Corbyn responded by saying that "somebody was obviously responsible for it and that somebody has to be found". The student subsequently asked Mr Corbyn: "You don't think it's Putin?". Mr Corbyn responded: "I don't say it is or isn't. I say an investigation must take place so...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/12/jeremy-corbyn-confronted-sixth-former-refuses-say-putin-behind/

What a bloody weasel he is. I swear Putin could confess and Corbyn would still express some illogical doubts so that he could avoid taking action. If it wasn't for his decades of spouting similar guff I'd assume that Putin pays him to say stuff like this.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Funny, I could have sworn he put out a statement more than a month ago that said he accepted it was highly likely to have been Russia. Must be another case of him meaning something other than what his spokesman says he means - since that quote, if true, would seem to be not taking a stance at all, when he's supposed to have weighed in on the 'highly likely' but 'let's be cautious' side of things.

Jeremy Corbyn said the "evidence points towards Russia" being responsible for the Salisbury attack but he did not go as far as his shadow defence secretary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43414185

Is this another case of this great communicator communicating very poorly? Why didn't he just say the same as he did in the link rather than seeming to take no stance at all?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Not good for his leadership prospects - another one of the list

Bring on the new intake
    Far be it from me to say I told TSE if it is true!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds like a very good reason to sack someone from the Cabinet, if so. I'm actually relatively positive toward the man, but unless there's a compelling reason he should not be (a non political reason) how can you not be sacked for that?
    It certainly sounds serious and potentially illegal but we need more evidence before making a final judgement
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    After watching Newsnight, I'm even more confused about what the point of this military action would be.

Theresa May's former adviser was interviewed, who said they wouldn't be seeking to topple Assad. One of the Newsnight correspondents said that Russia would be informed of where the strike targets would be in advance (who would then presumably tell the Syrians and give time for evacuations). So what will actually be achieved??
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    glw said:

What a bloody weasel he is. I swear Putin could confess and Corbyn would still express some illogical doubts so that he could avoid taking action. If it wasn't for his decades of spouting similar guff I'd assume that Putin pays him to say stuff like this.
    It's not Putin, it's anyone other than us or the US
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

And we know Theresa May wanted to move him from Health last time. Hunt's only chance is if (and I've not read the story) it is an offence too technical to be grasped by the voter on the Clapham omnibus, or sent up on HIGNFY.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    kle4 said:

Funny, I could have sworn he put out a statement more than a month ago that said he accepted it was highly likely to have been Russia. Must be another case of him meaning something other than what his spokesman says he means - since that quote, if true, would seem to be not taking a stance at all, when he's supposed to have weighed in on the 'highly likely' but 'let's be cautious' side of things.

Jeremy Corbyn said the "evidence points towards Russia" being responsible for the Salisbury attack but he did not go as far as his shadow defence secretary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43414185

Is this another case of this great communicator communicating very poorly? Why didn't he just say the same as he did in the link rather than seeming to take no stance at all?
    You say different things and you can probably be sure of being right once, with the "wrongs" being deniable on the basis of context or misinterpretations. I cannot agree with the "great communicator" label, "great rabble-rouser", yes.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Roger said:
    Hi Roger....I've just read that.....compare and contrast Obama to Trump.....
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

After watching Newsnight, I'm even more confused about what the point of this military action would be.

Theresa May's former adviser was interviewed, who said they wouldn't be seeking to topple Assad. One of the Newsnight correspondents said that Russia would be informed of where the strike targets would be in advance (who would then presumably tell the Syrians and give time for evacuations). So what will actually be achieved??

It is not and never has been about regime change. It is about the rules based system where no one uses chemical weapons. France, the US , UK and Saudi (mentioned tonight as part of the coalition) and others will degrade the ability for Assad to make chemical weapons and the means of delivery

If no action is taken now it shows to all crack pots they can use chemical weapons with no consequences.

Macron is leading this more than Trump at present
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

And we know Theresa May wanted to move him from Health last time. Hunt's only chance is if (and I've not read the story) it is an offence too technical to be grasped by the voter on the Clapham omnibus, or sent up on HIGNFY.
    It looks as if it was a technical mistake made by Hunt's accountant. TSE's betting slips should not be torn up just yet.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It certainly sounds serious and potentially illegal but we need more evidence before making a final judgement
    If it had been on a quiet news cycle he would, more than likely, been sacked or made to resign
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Danny565 said:

It is not and never has been about regime change. It is about the rules based system where no one uses chemical weapons. France, the US , UK and Saudi (mentioned tonight as part of the coalition) and others will degrade the ability for Assad to make chemical weapons and the means of delivery

If no action is taken now it shows to all crack pots they can use chemical weapons with no consequences.

How are they going to degrade the ability to make chemical weapons? I don't see how that can be remotely achieved without ground troops.

As for the "send a message" stuff, I'm not quite following how we'll send a message of how morally abhorrent it is to drop bombs on innocent civilians by......dropping bombs on innocent civilians ourselves.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It looks as if it was a technical mistake made by Hunt's accountant. TSE's betting slips should not be torn up just yet.
    If so, that sounds like the sort of thing which could prevent a sacking, but which would probably still be a big hindrance to taking the top job - who'd want their leader to have to get into the details of how this serious sounding crime was really just their accountant screwing up, when it is inevitably brought up? Hunt might surprise, and as I say I'm reasonably well disposed to the man, but I doubt he would inspire the sort of passionate fanbase which would allow for him to baldfacedly ignore the criticisms he would face for that.

Night all
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Danny565 said:

Newsnight is a day late and a dollar short. All those possibilities were reported on this forum last night.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

Theresa May’s officials could be lining up to keep the U.K. in the European customs union after Brexit, according to a new analysis that chimes with the views of parts of the British government.

Some of May’s officials think that quitting the customs union in order to win the power to strike free trade agreements with countries such as the U.S. or Australia is not as desirable as passionate Brexit supporters believe.

Such trade deals with third countries can take a long time to negotiate and end up mired in litigation, while measures short of formal FTAs can still deliver significant benefits, one person said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the discussions are private.

Added to this, the growing view in May’s office is that, after a narrow referendum result and a close general election, she has no mandate for an extreme Brexit, according to an official.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-11/may-s-brexit-red-line-on-customs-union-could-be-next-to-go

https://twitter.com/mattholehouse/status/984425959251218433
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Macron leading is one thing but he must keep looking behind to check America is still following. Putin will be quite relaxed about shooting down French planes.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

How are they going to degrade the ability to make chemical weapons? I don't see how that can be remotely achieved without ground troops.

As for the "send a message" stuff, I'm not quite following how we'll send a message of how morally abhorrent it is to drop bombs on innocent civilians by......dropping bombs on innocent civilians ourselves.
    The 'smart' missiles are accurate to a metre or so and will pin point buildings known for the manufacture of the chemical components. The helicopters used to deliver the WMD will be similarly disposed off. Plenty of notice has been given and Assad is rumoured to have left the Country
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Where does this take us...what about Burma where thousands upon thousands have been murdered, raped and tortured by the notional government....in Israel where the Govt have shot at unarmed protestors....?

I fucking hate Assad with a visceral loathing.....but what does some tokenistic bombing do?

And then you have the likes of the seanT here whose hatred of all things Muslim object to any single Muslim fleeing to the West to escape this sheer hatred and violence. Trump...who doesn't want to accept a single refugee from Syria......
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Macron leading is one thing but he must keep looking behind to check America is still following. Putin will be quite relaxed about shooting down French planes.
    I doubt it as this would then bring in NATO
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    HYUFD said:

And if you check Companies House records, you can follow the money and see where it traces back to. That wouldn't be somewhere in the borough of Barnet would it?!
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It says and I quote 'The Health Secretary, who has a personal fortune of more than £14 million, initially failed to declare his 50 per cent interest in the property firm to Companies House - a criminal offence punishable by a fine or up to two years in prison.
    Mr Hunt also failed to disclose his interest in the property firm on the Parliamentary Register of Members’ interests within the required 28 days.'

If he can blame all that on his accountant he will be a very lucky man indeed!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/12/exclusive-jeremy-hunt-admits-breaking-governments-rules-company/
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Trump will just lob a few missiles at Assad like Clinton did against Bin Laden and the news cycle moves on within a day or two
  • Options
    tyson said:

Danny565 said:

Where does this take us...what about Burma where thousands upon thousands have been murdered, raped and tortured by the notional government....in Israel where the Govt have shot at unarmed protestors....?

I fucking hate Assad with a visceral loathing.....but what does some tokenistic bombing do?

And then you have the likes of the seanT here whose hatred of all things Muslim object to any single Muslim fleeing to the West to escape this sheer hatred and violence. Trump...who doesn't want to accept a single refugee from Syria......
    They are all evil acts but WMD have not been used as far as I am aware

WMD are a red line for the UN and but for Russia and Bolivia voting down action this matter could have been resolved by the UN
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It says and I quote 'The Health Secretary, who has a personal fortune of more than £14 million, initially failed to declare his 50 per cent interest in the property firm to Companies House - a criminal offence punishable by a fine or up to two years in prison.
    Mr Hunt also failed to disclose his interest in the property firm on the Parliamentary Register of Members’ interests within the required 28 days.'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/12/exclusive-jeremy-hunt-admits-breaking-governments-rules-company/
    That's a resignable matter I think. Bye bye Hunt.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

And if you check Companies House records, you can follow the money and see where it traces back to. That wouldn't be somewhere in the borough of Barnet would it?!
    The properties were in Southampton apparently, where the trail leads who knows
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,593
  • Options
    hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

Thought your conspiracy theories were all based in Finchley.

Mind you I do not normally comment as I tend to give you a miss, in a polite way
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, he will be lucky to ride this one out, May might need to start searching for a new Health Secretary
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Trump will just lob a few missiles at Assad like Clinton did against Bin Laden and the news cycle moves on within a day or two
    Exactly.....if Trump cared about Syrians he would accept far more migrants....all Trump cares about is Trump and the news...

Similarly May...she could say we could step up humanitarian efforts...instead let's just lob some bombs...Macron too.....

Our politicians are just a bunch of useless......I can't think of the words....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

At the very least the end of any further ambitions
  • Options

tyson said:

Danny565 said:

WMD are a red line for the UN and but for Russia and Bolivia voting down action this matter could have been resolved by the UN
    So you can kill and rape and torture thousands upon thousands of innocents with guns and bombs...but as soon as you use a nerve agent that kills tens, then that is the red line?
  • Options

hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

Mind you I do not normally comment as I tend to give you a miss, in a polite way
    Part of Finchley rd is in the borough of Barnet, as all us false flag waving illuminati know!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well the company was Mare Pond Properties:

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11859/jeremy_hunt/south_west_surrey#register

Have a look at their registered office address until the 8th March this year, when it got a bit hot to handle for poor old Jeremy..........
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Danny565 said:

So you can kill and rape and torture thousands upon thousands of innocents with guns and bombs...but as soon as you use a nerve agent that kills tens, then that is the red line?
    I think Chlorine this time. Easier to handle than nerve agents and easier to make too.
  • Options

hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

Conspiracy theories based on prima facie Companies House documents. You've got to be having a laugh aren't you?!
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

Conspiracy theories based on prima facie Companies House documents. You've got to be having a laugh aren't you?!
    No - just not interested
  • Options
    hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well the company was Mare Pond Properties:

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11859/jeremy_hunt/south_west_surrey#register

Have a look at their registered office address until the 8th March this year, when it got a bit hot to handle for poor old Jeremy..........
    If it is a Finchley address the company was registered at that increases the likelihood May will have to sack him if he does not resign first given how marginal Barnet is in May's local elections
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Theresa May’s officials could be lining up to keep the U.K. in the European customs union after Brexit, according to a new analysis that chimes with the views of parts of the British government.

Some of May’s officials think that quitting the customs union in order to win the power to strike free trade agreements with countries such as the U.S. or Australia is not as desirable as passionate Brexit supporters believe.

Such trade deals with third countries can take a long time to negotiate and end up mired in litigation, while measures short of formal FTAs can still deliver significant benefits, one person said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the discussions are private.

Added to this, the growing view in May’s office is that, after a narrow referendum result and a close general election, she has no mandate for an extreme Brexit, according to an official.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-11/may-s-brexit-red-line-on-customs-union-could-be-next-to-go

To summarise, some analyst from some consultancy thinks we will stay in the customs union, based on anonymous briefings. I fail to see why this is being reported as news, particularly as membership of ‘the’ customs union is simply not available after Brexit.

We can agree to a great deal of customs cooperation without promising to follow the EU in all things. May has tasked DEXEU and DIT with generating some genuinely novel solutions. If talks were going badly, I think we would know about it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Not registering your shareholding at the time of incorporation cannot be an an oversight. You have to supply that information on the form, I think.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Exactly.....if Trump cared about Syrians he would accept far more migrants....all Trump cares about is Trump and the news...

Similarly May...she could say we could step up humanitarian efforts...instead let's just lob some bombs...Macron too.....

Our politicians are just a bunch of useless......I can't think of the words....
    There is no appetite for ground troops, no real appetite to replace Assad by someone else either, as I said he will get a rap on the knuckles and a few missiles lobbed in his direction mainly for the benefit of the media and the news cycle will move on
  • Options
    Foxy said:

hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

Part of Finchley rd is in the borough of Barnet, as all us false flag waving illuminati know!
    I am not part of the London elite and have little or no knowledge of London Boroughs
  • Options

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

No - just not interested
    Governments love people like you who remain in blissful ignorance about what is really going on in the UK. On the other hand, the local MP hates me for getting under her skin with companies house documental evidence which she can't refute............
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Danny565 said:

I think Chlorine this time. Easier to handle than nerve agents and easier to make too.
    We had bomber Harris who viewed civilian murder and terror as a legitimate act of war....

the Americans used Hiroshima and Nagasaki....and all the stuff in Vietnam against non military targets.......

What can you say....war is horrific....That is why those with wiser heads are somewhat cautioning May et al against getting involved in Syria....
  • Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Not registering your shareholding at the time of incorporation cannot be an an oversight. You have to supply that information on the form, I think.
    He certainly will have a lot of explaining to do over the next few days
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Danny565 said:

Yes according to the UN

The world s crazy

Have a good nights rest Tyson
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    Floater said:

Anyway - in more important news.....

WiFi cards in new pc's replaced and all is well with the world. :-)

If you want to supercharge your home WiFi, can I recommend getting a proper dedicated Wireless Access Point: specifically, the Ubiquiti UniFi gear is staggeringly good. It's proper kit, none of this consumer stuff. It supports roaming between access points, so you can get five bars wherever you are in the house, and devices hand off transparently.

• Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

No - just not interested
    Governments love people like you who remain in blissful ignorance about what is really going on in the UK. On the other hand, the local MP hates me for getting under her skin with companies house documental evidence which she can't refute............
    Just like winding you up
  • Options
    @Big-G

Good night comrade......I'm well beyond party politics now...... I'm disinterested and disillusioned in it all...I'm a Green tree hugger anyhow......I'm just hoping that things get better for the next lot...

Ciao and good night

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited April 2018
    There appears to be a bit of a problem amongst the US Administration regarding upcoming strikes on Assad regime facilities.

In short, the President and others are looking for something bigger that the DoD are suggesting. It has been noted that Mattis is broadly against strikes at all for reasons of effectiveness and concern over events spiralling. His comments in the last 24 hours alone suggest he isn't on the same page as much of the rest of the Administration. It may also be reflected in the news out of Russia last night that Russia's military were talking to the US military and indeed suggestions today of very limited scope of strikes. The latter story could well have come from the DoD.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well the company was incorporated on the 19th September last year. The notification of Mr Hunt having significant control (between 25 and 50% of the shareholding) came on the 29th March, ie a fortnight ago. He declared it in the register of members interests on the 7th March......slightly longer than the 28 days allowed. Now if an ordinary member of the public did that!!!!!!
  • Options
    tyson said:

@Big-G

Good night comrade......I'm well beyond party politics now...... I'm disinterested and disillusioned in it all...I'm a Green tree hugger anyhow......I'm just hoping that things get better for the next lot...

Ciao and good night

Ciao from a fellow tree and animal hugger
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    Floater said:
    I'm rather relieved the EU has done a proper investigation of this. It makes a pleasant change.
  • Options

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

No - just not interested
    Just like winding you up
    Well I like winding my MP up, and I know its hurting her given her reactions........but she can't run and hide, just like Jeremy Hunt can't run and hide, because there is the slime trail there if you care to investigate it using Companies House records.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

No - just not interested
    Just like winding you up
    Well I like winding my MP up, and I know its hurting her given her reactions........but she can't run and hide, just like Jeremy Hunt can't run and hide, because there is the slime trail there if you care to investigate it using Companies House records.
    No - I am happy to leave it to the telegraph and his ambitions seem to be over tonight
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Floater said:
    I'm rather relieved the EU has done a proper investigation of this. It makes a pleasant change.
    ECJ to take on Germany for billions hopefully
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

Check Companies House records! Some people amaze me on here - on the one hand they want to keep up with the latest political gossip, including the 7/8ths of the iceberg under the surface that is hidden from public view, but then they're too bone idle to go to where the source of that information is - companies house documents, and by following the money work out what is really going on, and not the spin that politicians want us to believe.

Rant over. Good night all!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Floater said:

If you want to supercharge your home WiFi, can I recommend getting a proper dedicated Wireless Access Point: specifically, the Ubiquiti UniFi gear is staggeringly good. It's proper kit, none of this consumer stuff. It supports roaming between access points, so you can get five bars wherever you are in the house, and devices hand off transparently.

My friend showed me my his connected house...lights, TV, thermostats, internet between devices, kitchen appliances...everything on an App, everything wired and on camera....

I mean FFS...god gave us arms and legs to get up and do stuff right?

So I for one do not want to supercharge my house, and am more than happy driving a knackered,. battered 12 year old Megane when need be....and like shopping everyday for the groceries by walking and carrying bags..... I'm one of the few left that carries a full bag playing golf doing 18.....

• Options
    edited April 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

To summarise, some analyst from some consultancy thinks we will stay in the customs union, based on anonymous briefings. I fail to see why this is being reported as news, particularly as membership of ‘the’ customs union is simply not available after Brexit.

We can agree to a great deal of customs cooperation without promising to follow the EU in all things. May has tasked DEXEU and DIT with generating some genuinely novel solutions. If talks were going badly, I think we would know about it.
    So the "transition" period comes to a juddering halt in December 2020. Then the lorries get stopped in Dover, goods have to be checked, VAT paid etc. Supermarket shelves run empty. Exports get slowed down the other way. Farmers can no longer export their stuff which rots on the M20. Even if the government in a panic allows inbound goods to come in unchecked, it doesn't help the outbound. The paperwork still needs to be sorted somehow.Then shortly after, the election.

This will be "Winter of Discontent" multiplied.

Alternatively Theresa May, if it still is she as PM, can tell Brexiteers, "Sod you, we're staying in the Customs Union"

PS there's also the insurrection in Ireland adding to the general chaos.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    hunchman said:

No - I am happy to leave it to the telegraph and his ambitions seem to be over tonight

Well I'm sure the Top Doctors and many NHS staff won't be losing any sleep tonight over his imminent demise.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055
    FF43 said:

Over in Washington Mr Brexit has changed his tune on the TPP.
    https://twitter.com/esaagar/status/984467905071992832
  • Options

FF43 said:

It's nuts. The whole point of TPP was to project the US interest into Eastern Asia.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

Check Companies House records! Some people amaze me on here - on the one hand they want to keep up with the latest political gossip, including the 7/8ths of the iceberg under the surface that is hidden from public view, but then they're too bone idle to go to where the source of that information is - companies house documents, and by following the money work out what is really going on, and not the spin that politicians want us to believe.

Rant over. Good night all!
    I don't think you understand how company formation works, nor how unbelievably incompetent a villain you would have to be to leave evidence of anything incriminating on a Companies House form of any kind.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    rcs1000 said:

Floater said:

i had 5 bars and .... less than 1 meg download speed -- that's with BT infinity where I was getting over 40mbps on last pc
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

It's nuts. The whole point of TPP was to project the US interest into Eastern Asia.
    This is even more nuts.
    https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/984509814066827264
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,727

Floater said:

kle4 said:

Floater said:
    Well that depends what you mean. They are seriously in contention for winning the next election after all.
    read that shit again and tell me that is a serious mp - and there are too many examples of utter crap in Labour right now.
    These people are just thick, it's that simple.

I can disagree with the likes of Eddie spheroid or James purnell at the best way forward, but they ain't thick.
    Philomena Cunk: The Labour Years
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Mark Zuckerberg Refuses to Admit How Facebook Works
    The CEO and the social network appear uncomfortable with the bedrock of its business."

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2018-04-12/mark-zuckerberg-refuses-to-admit-how-facebook-works
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    Cabinet Office - no breach of ministerial code; matter considered closed.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43748513

Would a private individual who was an incompetent pill like this be treated quite so leniently ?
    I actually hope so, as this is recent anti money laundering legislation; there seems to be no intent to deceive, and no benefit derived. It does not speak well of Hunt’s diligence, though, and nor does the long delay in making a declaration in the register of members’ interests.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Not a good morning for the BBC as their Breakfast presenters go through the front pages!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317
    Bloody hell, Hunt - stop ruining my bets.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I'm really amazed by that by-election result in Chichester. It isn't actually in the city at all, it's a rural area which you'd expect to be Conservative under any conceivable political circumstances. I can't even work out how Labour managed to find enough people to nominate their candidate. Just because nobody is talking about it, it doesn't mean that a Brexit backlash isn't developing.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

Finchley Road is a hotbed of villainy
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Ishmael_Z said:

I don't think you understand how company formation works, nor how unbelievably incompetent a villain you would have to be to leave evidence of anything incriminating on a Companies House form of any kind.

Almost all conspiracy theories start with a misunderstanding. This company formation one is a particularly hilarious example of that.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    tlg86 said:

Not a good morning for the BBC as their Breakfast presenters go through the front pages!

Quickly passing over the Mirror and the Sun, no doubt.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

I'm really amazed by that by-election result in Chichester. It isn't actually in the city at all, it's a rural area which you'd expect to be Conservative under any conceivable political circumstances. I can't even work out how Labour managed to find enough people to nominate their candidate. Just because nobody is talking about it, it doesn't mean that a Brexit backlash isn't developing.

Yes; another good night for the LD’s.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Floater said:

Absolutely, and a good network infrastructure is a platform which enables a lot of other technology to be more effective. Business-class hardware is now not much more expensive than a lot of the consumer-grade APs. I usually use the Draytek kit which also works very well, as you say you get a full signal everywhere and seamless handoffs between APs.
  • Options

And just because the Lib Dems have won another council by-election doesn’t mean it has anything to do with Brexit.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

RoyalBlue said:

So the "transition" period comes to a juddering halt in December 2020. Then the lorries get stopped in Dover, goods have to be checked, VAT paid etc. Supermarket shelves run empty. Exports get slowed down the other way. Farmers can no longer export their stuff which rots on the M20. Even if the government in a panic allows inbound goods to come in unchecked, it doesn't help the outbound. The paperwork still needs to be sorted somehow.Then shortly after, the election.

Alternatively Theresa May, if it still is she as PM, can tell Brexiteers, "Sod you, we're staying in the Customs Union"

In my view, the worst thing about the transition is having to read this sort of nonsense for another 21 months.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

And just because the Lib Dems have won another council by-election doesn’t mean it has anything to do with Brexit.
    Well only the people who voted know that. But if we can't speculate there's not much point to this forum.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

The victorious candidate was already the County Councillor.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 597

I attended a parish council meeting last night and local councillor for Chichester BC said he had never known a Government to be so unpopular as this. He predicted the Rogate by-election result would be "interesting."

Yet we hear on this board that May is admired for getting on with the job and the Conservatives are still leading the polls.

• Options

FF43 said:

RoyalBlue said:

In my view, the worst thing about the transition is having to read this sort of nonsense for another 21 months.
    You'd rather get it over with quickly and do a permanent deal to stay in the single market and customs union?
  • Options

Well only the people who voted know that. But if we can't speculate there's not much point to this forum.
    I think the general point is to challenge each other on analysis so that we make the most money possible betting on politics.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712

Yes; another good night for the LD’s.
    Rogate isn't far from the Hampshire border, nearer to Petersfield than Chichester.
    Yes 55.8% from nowhere is a good result for the LibDems.

@britainelects
    Rogate (Chichester) result:

LDEM: 55.8% (+55.8)
    CON: 40.1% (-27.3)
    LAB: 2.6% (+2.6)
    GRN: 1.5% (-18.2)

LDem GAIN from Con.

No UKIP (-12.9) as prev.

but the Northamptonshire one wasn't bad either

Middleton Cheney (South Northamptonshire) result:

CON: 42.1% (-21.6)
    LDEM: 34.1% (+34.1)
    LAB: 19.7% (+19.7)
    GRN: 4.1% (+4.1)

and the third result was good for Labour. Not a great night for the Tories.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    SandraMc said:

I attended a parish council meeting last night and local councillor for Chichester BC said he had never known a Government to be so unpopular as this. He predicted the Rogate by-election result would be "interesting."

Yet we hear on this board that May is admired for getting on with the job and the Conservatives are still leading the polls.

The views of the local councillor are not supported by polling or by-election results in general. That’s not to say that most of the population are wildly enthusiastic about Mrs May’s government.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: first practice was normal rather than thunderstorm-ridden, so the enormo-odds/tiny stakes bets didn't come off. Still, happens.

Second practice is underway. If first practice times are indicative of qualifying pace, it's very close behind Hamilton.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

F1: first practice was normal rather than thunderstorm-ridden, so the enormo-odds/tiny stakes bets didn't come off. Still, happens.

Second practice is underway. If first practice times are indicative of qualifying pace, it's very close behind Hamilton.

Mercedes and Ferrari very close together, everyone else a long way behind.
  • Options

FF43 said:

RoyalBlue said:

You'd rather get it over with quickly and do a permanent deal to stay in the single market and customs union?
    I see you’ve taken your lead from Michel Barnier and have now entered the “bargaining” phase.

Only 11 months till you lose that £1,000.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

SandraMc said:

The views of the local councillor are not supported by polling or by-election results in general. That’s not to say that most of the population are wildly enthusiastic about Mrs May’s government.
    It probably means that people already inclined to agree with him are particularly vociferous on the doorstep about it.
This discussion has been closed.