Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betfair punters now make it a 66% chance that Trump will survi

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

The UK government is "waiting for instructions" from Donald Trump about whether to launch a missile strike on Syria, Jeremy Corbyn has said.

Where as you are waiting for Putin's?

Source!!
    Clown - that has been all over the news all day
    What does !! mean.

You must be getting really frustrated no missiles have been launched yet.

When did you last oppose military action.

Libya? Iraq? Afghanistan?
    Afghanistan? why the feck would anyone have been against Afghanistan?

Of course the Americans with Labours help fecked it up by going into Iraq on a lie
    I bet you supported all 3 though.

And I bet you believed the WMD row
    Were you against Afghanistan?

You a troofer ?

Reading your crap I could believe it.
    So you supported all 3 thought so.
    So you are a troofer - thought so

Does that make you feel good?

Seriously go and have a lie down
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    There really is only the one cartoonist:
    https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/984833668337238017/photo/1
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Here we go, sneaked out late on Friday afternoon by the EU: all aviation agreements to be torn up on Brexit day - including air operators’ licences, aircraft registrations, licences for pilots, dispatchers, engineers, air traffic controllers etc etc.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/brexit-negotiations

"NOTICE TO STAKEHOLDERS - WITHDRAWAL OF THE UNITED KINGDOM AND EU AVIATION SAFETY RULES" on the European Commission website, which says:

Certificates issued before the withdrawal date by the competent authorities of the United Kingdom on the basis of the provisions of the Basic Regulation and its implementing rules will no longer be valid as of the withdrawal date in the EU. This concerns in particular:
     Certificates of airworthiness, restricted certificates of airworthiness, permits to fly, approvals of organisations responsible for the maintenance of products, parts and appliances, approvals for organisations responsible for the manufacture of products, parts and appliances, approvals for maintenance training organisations, and certificates for personnel responsible for the release of a product, part or appliance after maintenance, issued pursuant to Article 5 of the Basic Regulation;
     Pilot licences, pilot medical certificates, certificates for pilot training organisations, certificates for aero-medical centres, certificates for flight simulation training devices, certificates for persons responsible for providing flight training, flight simulation training or assessing pilots' skill, and certificates for aero medical examiners, issued pursuant to Article 7 of the Basic Regulation;
     Certificates for air operators and attestations for the cabin crew, issued pursuant to Article 8 of the Basic Regulation;
     Certificates for aerodromes, certificates for ATM/ANS providers, licences and medical certificates for air traffic controllers, certificates for air traffic controller training organisations, certificates for aero medical centres and aero medical examiners responsible for air traffic controllers, certificates for persons
    etc

In this case, it's a statement of legal fact. The above certificates are invalidated when the UK withdraws from the treaties that give them legal effect.
    the draft withdrawal agreement would keep the treaties in effect
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

The UK government is "waiting for instructions" from Donald Trump about whether to launch a missile strike on Syria, Jeremy Corbyn has said.

Source!!
    You asking that is pretty ironic given you often fail to link to articles that you quote. :p
    His source is Order Order

AGAIN!!!

This is the new Guido:
    https://twitter.com/labourpress/status/984674983376052225
    Fake news...or something....I might be wrong, but I don’t even think that quote is on guido.
    To be fair, The Labour Party is correct. May is not likely to act without knowing what the US is planning to do, so it is a concise summary of the Government's position.
    And how would Corbyn act in these circumstances and if the US and France and other allies decide to take action
    in a manner which would de-escalate conflict and support meaningful dialogue between all parties in the search for a political solution.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, prices beginning to get somewhere near sanity but not there yet. I wouldn't back him to go early short of 6/1.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

hunchman said:

Well what a fascinating day! The government's carefully constructed propaganda over the Syrian alleged chemicals weapon attack is now falling apart rapidly at the seams:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-13/russia-has-irrefutable-evidence-uk-staged-syrian-chemical-attack

and the wonderful former UK ambassador to Syria, Peter Ford, says the same thing:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-11/former-uk-ambassador-syria-syrian-chemical-weapons-attack-was-staged-islamic-jihadi

T's.

You cannot have it both ways, hunchman. If the government is as amazingly controlling and nefarious as you claim - and successful at it - why are they so easily found out by you all the time?
    Edit - I mean seriously, with all the crimes you allege of so many people, very serious crimes, why in the f**k would our all powerful puppet masters put easily verifiable proof in this Companies House stuff you are always going on about?

Your contention is that these people commit every type of corruption known to man, and cover it all up, but put out a breadcrumb of clues for people to dig through.
    They don't think that people will look through companies house documents and figure out what is going on. Paperwork is a very boring subject for most people. I've looked through more companies house documents than I care to remember over the past couple of years. How many have you looked through? You're making comments on them when you're ill informed to judge, assuming that you've looked at very little.

Have a look at interlocked directorships, the same company formation agents time after time, fake oil gas and mining companies (Form 26 admission to trade documents, company accounts etc), the same addresses (which tie in to the Panama Papers and the Paradise Papers), the same complicit accountants / auditors and geologists producing fake reports. Plus all the usual tricks - multiple director ID numbers, directors under wrongly spelt names that aren't typos, companies regularly dissolved, and then new companies setup doing exactly the same thing. The whole system is ingenious and goes over the top of the heads of most people, but when you understand the mechanisms by which billions can be stolen, then it becomes very easy to dismantle it all, and follow this corruption.

And just over the past couple of years, I've seen many doors slammed shut, including the whole Finchley Road network - funny the coincidence of that, but we've got them all, because they can run but they can't hide.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Two good questions tp put to Jezza:

1. Would you have supported going to war in 1939?
    2. Would you have supported US & UK in Korean war?
  • Options
    Have a look at this video 24 and a half minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYfce_3Q7LA

Jo Johnson caught out terribly on Question Time last night being told exactly what to say. Surely he's got more intelligence than that, not to require prompting the whole time?! I'm surprised that the BBC didn't edit out that bit of the programme by the time it was aired late last night.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Floater said:

Source!!
    What does !! mean.

The question for Jezza and co :

Is your irrevocable default position that military action is never to be contemplated.

If we are to have a pacifist as LotO then Jezza should be open about his position, as he is want to advise others to be so.
    Jezza has stated that he is not a Pacifist, he has stated that war should be the last resort, and in support of the United Nations.

At a push he might have agreed we should have fought in WW2 - but obviously only after Russia was invaded.
    I don't think that he was around at the time, so we do not know. May as a loyal Tory would more than have been an advocate of Appeasement.

In reality Jezza would have been an active Antifascist, perhaps in Spain.
    The only thing that counts is whether he'd have obeyed a call up. He can have any opinion he likes, but would he, when he was young, have made some excuse? I dislike the man enormously, but I'm happy to believe that he'd not be a man to shirk such duty. (No assertions that it should be that way though)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    hunchman said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYfce_3Q7LA

Jo Johnson caught out terribly on Question Time last night being told exactly what to say. Surely he's got more intelligence than that, not to require prompting the whole time?! I'm surprised that the BBC didn't edit out that bit of the programme by the time it was aired late last night.

LOL...you repeating the debunked Siri conspiracy theory...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

hunchman said:

Why do you think Siri has a name that sounds like Syria? Bit of a coincidence, don't you think? Apple have obviously been involved in this secret plan from the very beginning.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    hunchman said:

Well what a fascinating day! The government's carefully constructed propaganda over the Syrian alleged chemicals weapon attack is now falling apart rapidly at the seams:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-13/russia-has-irrefutable-evidence-uk-staged-syrian-chemical-attack

and the wonderful former UK ambassador to Syria, Peter Ford, says the same thing:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-11/former-uk-ambassador-syria-syrian-chemical-weapons-attack-was-staged-islamic-jihadi

The government lies to us all the time - they've lied to us over global warming, ahem man made climate change, they've lied to us about the future security of our food supplies, they've lied to us over the Panama Papers and Paradise Papers and covered up the fraud, theft and money laundering operations that many MP's and members of the House of Lords are linked to (documented fact via prima facie companies house evidence), they've lied to us the reason they got involved in Syria in the first place (in order to get gas and oil pipelines built through there from Qatar in order to reduce European dependence on Russian energy), they've lied to us about what they're doing to the NHS and they've lied to us about covering up historic child sexual abuse linked to Westminster (just have a look at the Exaro News directors apart from Mark Watts and where their fellow directorships and associated directors leads for starters).

With a record like that, the government is the last thing I would ever trust. And a lot of the general population over the coming years are going to come to the hard realisation that you cannot trust the government, just as Eastern Europe and Russia found out the hard way with the collapse of communism in the late 1980's and early 1990's.

I am sorry Hunchman but I have to ask if you realise how deranged postings like this make you look?

I speak as someone who does not like or trust any governments and who opposes our involvement in Syria but who also has to accept that there are times when the Government does not need to lie to us because they know the truth is more potent.

The idea that the Russian case has any validity at all, either with regard to Salisbury or Syria is just ludicrous. That is not to say our Government might not use these things to their own political advantage but the basic facts of the case are clear and, to my mind at least, indisputable.

And quoting zerohedge as a reliable source of information certainly doesn't enhance your reputation.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

How's about you answering your own question. Also would you have supported going to war in 1914 ?
    Would you have supported British Troops going in to Vietnam to assist the USa in the early 1960 s ?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Floater said:

Source!!
    What does !! mean.

Is your irrevocable default position that military action is never to be contemplated.

If we are to have a pacifist as LotO then Jezza should be open about his position, as he is want to advise others to be so.
    Jezza has stated that he is not a Pacifist, he has stated that war should be the last resort, and in support of the United Nations.

At a push he might have agreed we should have fought in WW2 - but obviously only after Russia was invaded.
    I don't think that he was around at the time, so we do not know. May as a loyal Tory would more than have been an advocate of Appeasement.

Actively doing what ? ....

Jezza has shown no inclination to confront fascism outside of speechifying to the cohorts of far-left groups that have enjoyed his unswerving patronage for decades.

Others will do the dying to provide the shield of liberal democracy that allow him to freedom to be a useful idiot to loony tune regimes worldwide.
  • Options

hunchman said:

Why do you think Siri has a name that sounds like Syria? Bit of a coincidence, don't you think? Apple have obviously been involved in this secret plan from the very beginning.
    Well Steve Jobs biological parents were Syrian....follow the trail ;-)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

This is what he has said on the subject last year, midway through the campaign. His polling went up afterwards as we all know:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jeremy-corbyn-just-war-1945-chatham-house-talk-labour-party-general-elections-a7733916.html
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Source!!
    You asking that is pretty ironic given you often fail to link to articles that you quote. :p

AGAIN!!!

This is the new Guido:
    Fake news...or something....I might be wrong, but I don’t even think that quote is on guido.
    To be fair, The Labour Party is correct. May is not likely to act without knowing what the US is planning to do, so it is a concise summary of the Government's position.
    And how would Corbyn act in these circumstances and if the US and France and other allies decide to take action
    He would be like Switzerland , stay the hell out of it.
    We are not a neutral country
    We could choose to be and join the five other non-aligned countries of Europe. That would mean self-defence or participation in UN forces, no more. That's the same policy as Sweden or Ireland adopt I think.

Finland and Austria became neutral under international treaties which aimed to increase the perceived security of the countries both sides of the Iron Curtain. The lesson was lost on NATO when it admitted the Baltic states and extended eastwards to the Russian border.
  • Options

hunchman said:

siri backwards is iris. London has an 'eye'. Salisbury isn't so far from London. My god!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Here we go, sneaked out late on Friday afternoon by the EU: all aviation agreements to be torn up on Brexit day - including air operators’ licences, aircraft registrations, licences for pilots, dispatchers, engineers, air traffic controllers etc etc.

"NOTICE TO STAKEHOLDERS - WITHDRAWAL OF THE UNITED KINGDOM AND EU AVIATION SAFETY RULES" on the European Commission website, which says:

Certificates issued before the withdrawal date by the competent authorities of the United Kingdom on the basis of the provisions of the Basic Regulation and its implementing rules will no longer be valid as of the withdrawal date in the EU. This concerns in particular:
     Certificates of airworthiness, restricted certificates of airworthiness, permits to fly, approvals of organisations responsible for the maintenance of products, parts and appliances, approvals for organisations responsible for the manufacture of products, parts and appliances, approvals for maintenance training organisations, and certificates for personnel responsible for the release of a product, part or appliance after maintenance, issued pursuant to Article 5 of the Basic Regulation;
     Pilot licences, pilot medical certificates, certificates for pilot training organisations, certificates for aero-medical centres, certificates for flight simulation training devices, certificates for persons responsible for providing flight training, flight simulation training or assessing pilots' skill, and certificates for aero medical examiners, issued pursuant to Article 7 of the Basic Regulation;
     Certificates for air operators and attestations for the cabin crew, issued pursuant to Article 8 of the Basic Regulation;
     Certificates for aerodromes, certificates for ATM/ANS providers, licences and medical certificates for air traffic controllers, certificates for air traffic controller training organisations, certificates for aero medical centres and aero medical examiners responsible for air traffic controllers, certificates for persons
    etc

In this case, it's a statement of legal fact. The above certificates are invalidated when the UK withdraws from the treaties that give them legal effect.
    the draft withdrawal agreement would keep the treaties in effect
    Albeit the transition isn't agreed yet, the EASA website doesn't explain the implications of a potential and generally expected delayed exit from EU treaties. The linked document from the EU Commission is clearer.
  • Options
    Macron, May, Putin and Trump, put on the mask and you’ll find your face soon grows to fit it

https://faustusnotes.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/grin.jpg

If you think you still now have a choice before you pull the trigger, sorry, not how it works. You don’t

https://biblio.wiki/wiki/Shooting_an_Elephant

ps anyone who thinks we are still going to the World Cup is sorely mistaken.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    hunchman said:

What the hell was that all about? Was he really being told what to say via earpiece?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Omnium said:

hunchman said:

siri backwards is iris. London has an 'eye'. Salisbury isn't so far from London. My god!
    I would love to say it is only these really really far far out nutjob websites that are pushing this stuff, but it isn't.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    Off-topic:

Musk is being an ass:
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/04/federal-officials-boot-tesla-from-crash-investigation/

And the following is so ridiculous it could have been written by a Russian diplomat:
    ""It's been clear in our conversations with the NTSB that they're more concerned with press headlines than actually promoting safety," a Tesla spokesperson wrote. "
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

ps anyone who thinks we are still going to the World Cup is sorely mistaken.

Saves you the disappointment when you lose to Bhutan or whoever :-) Bit more of a sacrifice for France/Germany/Spain.

• Options
    JackW said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Floater said:

Source!!
    What does !! mean.

Jezza has shown no inclination to confront fascism outside of speechifying to the cohorts of far-left groups that have enjoyed his unswerving patronage for decades.

Others will do the dying to provide the shield of liberal democracy that allow him to freedom to be a useful idiot to loony tune regimes worldwide.
    Here is his Cable St speech from a couple of years back:

https://youtu.be/1Qj-wtH5CBc

Well worth watching, and a much better speech than Enochs on the subject of communities.
  • Options

hunchman said:

With a record like that, the government is the last thing I would ever trust. And a lot of the general population over the coming years are going to come to the hard realisation that you cannot trust the government, just as Eastern Europe and Russia found out the hard way with the collapse of communism in the late 1980's and early 1990's.

I am sorry Hunchman but I have to ask if you realise how deranged postings like this make you look?

I speak as someone who does not like or trust any governments and who opposes our involvement in Syria but who also has to accept that there are times when the Government does not need to lie to us because they know the truth is more potent.

The idea that the Russian case has any validity at all, either with regard to Salisbury or Syria is just ludicrous. That is not to say our Government might not use these things to their own political advantage but the basic facts of the case are clear and, to my mind at least, indisputable.

And quoting zerohedge as a reliable source of information certainly doesn't enhance your reputation.
    Richard, you speak a lot of sense on many matters on here. I'm sorry you can't see through the dreadful Russia phobia that our government and media are engaged in. The consequences of this will be very grave indeed - a completely unnecessary conflict in Syria which will see the West pitted against Russia and Turkey and an increasing number of other countries that are now seeing through the cacophony of lies emanating from Western governments.....and all for what?

As I said last night, Western governments require war in order to distract attention away from their own failings, of which there are many. It's always been the same throughout history, when the going gets tough......plus ca change as they say.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    AndyJS said:

hunchman said:

What the hell was that all about? Was he really being told what to say via earpiece?
    No he set off Siri on his phone. Then the next conspiracy was this only happened because he was at the cabinet meeting discussing the proposed military intervention....but he wasn't there.

https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/984808846559531008
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    AndyJS said:

Apple Phone, voice activated assistant respond to Siri. He says Syria and ......

I have the same thing from my Amazon gadget, it's set to respond to "Echo", so whenever that word appears on TV it starts merrily talking away to itself.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

hunchman said:

No he set off Siri on his phone. Then the next conspiracy was this only happened because he was at the cabinet meeting discussing the proposed military intervention....but he wasn't there.

Thanks.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

They don't think that people will look through companies house documents and figure out what is going on. Paperwork is a very boring subject for most people. I've looked through more companies house documents than I care to remember over the past couple of years. How many have you looked through? You're making comments on them when you're ill informed to judge, assuming that you've looked at very little.

Have a look at interlocked directorships, the same company formation agents time after time, fake oil gas and mining companies (Form 26 admission to trade documents, company accounts etc), the same addresses (which tie in to the Panama Papers and the Paradise Papers), the same complicit accountants / auditors and geologists producing fake reports. Plus all the usual tricks - multiple director ID numbers, directors under wrongly spelt names that aren't typos, companies regularly dissolved, and then new companies setup doing exactly the same thing. The whole system is ingenious and goes over the top of the heads of most people, but when you understand the mechanisms by which billions can be stolen, then it becomes very easy to dismantle it all, and follow this corruption.

And just over the past couple of years, I've seen many doors slammed shut, including the whole Finchley Road network - funny the coincidence of that, but we've got them all, because they can run but they can't hide.

"companies regularly dissolved, and then new companies setup doing exactly the same thing."

Lots of one man companies do this for tax reasons. It is not something the tax man likes at all but still plenty of accountants recommend doing it every few years. They are not all involved in some great lizard conspiracy. Just boring old tax avoidance. Crooked certainly but no earth shattering conspiracies.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

hunchman said:

Thanks.
    The fact we have to keep correcting all this fake news is very sad.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Source!!

AGAIN!!!

This is the new Guido:
    He would be like Switzerland , stay the hell out of it.
    We are not a neutral country
    We could choose to be and join the five other non-aligned countries of Europe. That would mean self-defence or participation in UN forces, no more. That's the same policy as Sweden or Ireland adopt I think.

Finland and Austria became neutral under international treaties which aimed to increase the perceived security of the countries both sides of the Iron Curtain. The lesson was lost on NATO when it admitted the Baltic states and extended eastwards to the Russian border.
    The same Sweden who have renewed fears of Russia? that Sweden?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/17/sweden-tells-public-prepare-war-fears-russia-rise/
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Foxy said:

JackW said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Floater said:

Source!!
    What does !! mean.

Well worth watching, and a much better speech than Enochs on the subject of communities.
    @Foxy did you know that some travel insurance policies pay out for a cancellation if the FCO advises against travel to your destination (after you have booked the hol and taken out the insurance, obv)? Just saying.
  • Options

Off-topic:

Musk is being an ass:
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/04/federal-officials-boot-tesla-from-crash-investigation/

And the following is so ridiculous it could have been written by a Russian diplomat:
    ""It's been clear in our conversations with the NTSB that they're more concerned with press headlines than actually promoting safety," a Tesla spokesperson wrote. "

Agencies like the NTSB are short staffed and rely on the subjects to help them with their investigations. It gives the subject advance notice of where the investigation is going and the possibility of heading off unwarranted criticism before it's made. But the investigators need a high degree of trust that the subjects will be straight with them and cooperative. Clearly the NTSB has no trust in Tesla. It's hard to see that being to Tesla's advantage.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

hunchman said:

Thanks.
    The fact we have to keep correcting all this fake news is very sad.
    One mans fake news ..........
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Source!!

AGAIN!!!

This is the new Guido:
    in a manner which would de-escalate conflict and support meaningful dialogue between all parties in the search for a political solution.
    Do nothing then
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Floater said:

Source!!
    What does !! mean.

@Foxy did you know that some travel insurance policies pay out for a cancellation if the FCO advises against travel to your destination (after you have booked the hol and taken out the insurance, obv)? Just saying.
    FCO advice on the World Cup is supportive, and I see that the Arsenal fans were made welcome in Moscow last night.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/6039367/arsenal-fur-hat-cska-moscow/

I am not flying until the QF, so will see how it goes.

• Options
    FF43 said:

Off-topic:

Musk is being an ass:

Agencies like the NTSB are short staffed and rely on the subjects to help them with their investigations. It gives the subject advance notice of where the investigation is going and the possibility of heading off unwarranted criticism before it's made. But the investigators need a high degree of trust that the subjects will be straight with them and cooperative. Clearly the NTSB has no trust in Tesla. It's hard to see that being to Tesla's advantage.
    It could be a rather large own goal in several ways. Tesla are not stupid, they'd received a public warning about what they said to the press, and their stupid statement just adds fuel to the fire. I reckon (with no inside information) that Tesla are not liking where the NTSB are taking the investigation.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Floater said:

Source!!
    What does !! mean.

FCO advice on the World Cup is supportive, and I see that the Arsenal fans were made welcome in Moscow last night.

Spurs to win the FA cup and England to get to semi finals of world cup .Should get a good price on that bet .
  • Options
    Foxy said:

JackW said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Floater said:

Source!!
    What does !! mean.

Thank you.

Many a politician may talk the talk but the ability to walk the walk and will the means to do so is another matter. A man who wanted the UK to become a European version of Venezuela is a nerve agent short of a full scale chemical attack.

I hadn't realized you'd become dangerously close to the Jezzbollah. Worrying times indeed - Out of the LibDem frying pan into the fiery furnace of Corbynism.

You'll be telling me next you've switched favours from Leicester to Arsenal !!
  • Options
    It is worth nothing that Merkel has become invisible and Macron has filled the vacuum.

Mind you the corruption at the heart of Brussels and in Germany over Gazprom is as murky as it comes.

Time for the ECJ and police to take on this wrong doing but I am not holding my breath
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

"companies regularly dissolved, and then new companies setup doing exactly the same thing."

Lots of one man companies do this for tax reasons. It is not something the tax man likes at all but still plenty of accountants recommend doing it every few years. They are not all involved in some great lizard conspiracy. Just boring old tax avoidance. Crooked certainly but no earth shattering conspiracies.

Isn`t that the sort of thing that the EU were going to stop? Before we all decided that we had to leave the EU, of course.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    hunchman said:

They don't think that people will look through companies house documents and figure out what is going on.

They are ruthless and corrupt enough to do all you claim, and competent enough to get away with it with regular people not noticing, but decide to fill out those documents honestly because they have decided to take the risk no one will be interested enough to look or smart enough to figure it out?

• Options
    Yorkcity said:

Spurs to win the FA cup and England to get to semi finals of world cup .Should get a good price on that bet .

You've more chance of Diane Abbott uttering a lucid and coherent comment on home affairs .... Yes, that unlikely.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Floater said:

Source!!
    What does !! mean.

I am at the St Petersburg SF, but if England progress, will most likely play in the Moscow SF.

Spurs for the FA Cup looks about right to me.
  • Options

Omnium said:

hunchman said:

I would love to say it is only these really really far far out nutjob websites that are pushing this stuff, but it isn't.
    I use and will continue to use memorable words for 'secret' projects I might be involved in. This is of only minor commercial interest (to the sweeping up community), but I wouldn't be in the least surprised if HMG's greatest secrets don't have somewhat vulnerable pseudonyms, and slightly compromised passwords.

I think it's likely that a nutjob theory has perhaps nailed the truth on that basis. So one in about several billion, but boosted by my admission.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Isn`t that the sort of thing that the EU were going to stop? Before we all decided that we had to leave the EU, of course.
    Nope. It is the sort of thing the UK taxman has been trying to stop. Apparently with some success as well. The easiest way to stop it was to remove the benefits from shutting down and restarting companies. That has been the purpose of a lot of apparently minor changes to company taxation over the last few years. If you are not trying to be dodgy they have no real impact.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Off-topic:

Musk is being an ass:

It could be a rather large own goal in several ways. Tesla are not stupid, they'd received a public warning about what they said to the press, and their stupid statement just adds fuel to the fire. I reckon (with no inside information) that Tesla are not liking where the NTSB are taking the investigation.
    If I look at the way Boeing pressured the Federal Aviation Authority over the chaotic certification programme for the 787 plane, absolutely they put political pressure on the regulator to cut them slack. But you don't mess with them at the procedural level. If the regulator says, jump through three hoops, you jump through three hoops. It's their job to tell you to do that. Tesla should remember someone died as a result of their apparently defective system.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

You've more chance of Diane Abbott uttering a lucid and coherent comment on home affairs .... Yes, that unlikely.
    You might be correct Jack. I hope though Spurs do win a cup after all their good progress these past three years.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

It is worth nothing that Merkel has become invisible and Macron has filled the vacuum.

Mind you the corruption at the heart of Brussels and in Germany over Gazprom is as murky as it comes.

Time for the ECJ and police to take on this wrong doing but I am not holding my breath

Talking about Germany:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Schröder
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PClipp said:

Nope. It is the sort of thing the UK taxman has been trying to stop. Apparently with some success as well. The easiest way to stop it was to remove the benefits from shutting down and restarting companies. That has been the purpose of a lot of apparently minor changes to company taxation over the last few years. If you are not trying to be dodgy they have no real impact.
    Comforting to know, Mr Tyndall. So the EU reforms are to crack down on other tax avoidance schemes?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

You might be correct Jack. I hope though Spurs do win a cup after all their good progress these past three years.
    Unless proved conclusively to the contrary the default position for Tottenham Hotspur is they eventually flatter to deceive.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Floater said:

Source!!
    What does !! meann?
    The question for Jezza and co

I don't think that

e.
    Here
    Thank you.

Many a politician may talk the talk but the ability to walk the walk and will the means to do so is another matter. A man who wanted the UK to become a European version of Venezuela is a nerve agent short of a full scale chemical attack.

I hadn't realized you'd become dangerously close to the Jezzbollah. Worrying times indeed - Out of the LibDem frying pan into the fiery furnace of Corbynism.

No, I am still a LD, though on the back burner until Cable goes.

Jezza is a curates egg, good in parts! I am not a supporter of his nationalisation of utilities. There are simply higher priorities, but think a rebalancing of the country in favour of the Millenials is long overdue. I would much prefer a Corbyn Brexit than a Tory one, as it is much more likely to maintain or improve on environmental, food, and social rights. I think Jezza would end the repulsive Hostile Environment that May has instituted, and would regularise the rights of our resident EU citizens.

I would want to steer clear of Middle East conflicts, but would but out of Israel/Palestine along with the rest. We have too much history there, both recent and Imperial to be a good influence.

I dislike some of Jezzas hangers on, but such is the lot of politicians. The Tories have had pretty repulsive staffers too.

So as an LD, and past supporter of the last Coalition, would be most happy with Jezza as a minority government, kept on a short leash by a post Cable LD leader.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Off-topic:

Musk is being an ass:

If I look at the way Boeing pressured the Federal Aviation Authority over the chaotic certification programme for the 787 plane, absolutely they put political pressure on the regulator to cut them slack. But you don't mess with them at the procedural level. If the regulator says, jump through three hoops, you jump through three hoops. It's their job to tell you to do that. Tesla should remember someone died as a result of their apparently defective system.
    The key question is who is going to play the role of the regulator of autonomous car technology?

Up until now it’s been the transport departments of individual states alongside the manufacturers, but there is clearly a need for an FAA equivalent to be in charge of regulation. I suspect that regulatory oversight requirement is going to be top of the NTSB’s recommendations, alongside external overview of what the manufacturers currently consider to be proprietary secrets.

That said, the book that’s getting thrown at Tesla over this crash isn’t half as big as the book that’s going to get thrown at Uber for their fatac the other week. Both companies are being idiots in trying to spin accident investigations for their own marketing ends.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

So as an LD, and past supporter of the last Coalition, would be most happy with Jezza as a minority government, kept on a short leash by a post Cable LD leader.

I take the opposite view myself. As a Lib Dem I'd be utterly horrified if my party did anything at all to prop up a Corbyn government. The man is a monster, frankly.

• Options

PClipp said:

Yes, if you liquidate a company and distribute assets to shareholders, they’d be liable only for CGT rather than income tax on the proceeds.

The new GAAR puts the onus on the directors to prove they’re not just taking income as a capital gain by winding up a company, if there’s a new company with the same directors formed immediately afterwards.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Talking about Germany:

What about him?
  • Options

Talking about Germany:

What about him?
    Evening Ben - did you have a good cruise
  • Options

Foxy said:

I take the opposite view myself. As a Lib Dem I'd be utterly horrified if my party did anything at all to prop up a Corbyn government. The man is a monster, frankly.

Oh well said sir
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Yes. It's poorly written, but it highlights a couple of significant issues.

Firstly, the idea that the Kurds would somehow be left alone by Assad is extreme wishful thinking. They have oilfields in their areas, and Assad wants them. The Kurds will want to keep them. I see little hope that Assad will leave them alone once he 'wins' in the rest of the country, although due to his lack of troops he might leave the job up to the Turks.

Secondly, the dangers of the conflict spreading are still real. Turkey is being an ass, and Iran is, as ever, obsessed with Israel.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Support for a Tory government would be unwise, and a majority LD government seems some way off.

I am not suggesting Coalition, or even Confidence and Supply, but could see a LD party supporting some minority Lab gov legislation.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PClipp said:

Yes, if you liquidate a company and distribute assets to shareholders, they’d be liable only for CGT rather than income tax on the proceeds.

The new GAAR puts the onus on the directors to prove they’re not just taking income as a capital gain by winding up a company, if there’s a new company with the same directors formed immediately afterwards.
    If you go into voluntary liquidation, then it is possible to cash out on Entrepreneurs rate of 10%, I believe.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Talking about Germany:

What about him?
    See under "Relations with Russia".
  • Options

Floater said:
    Yes. It's poorly written, but it highlights a couple of significant issues.

Firstly, the idea that the Kurds would somehow be left alone by Assad is extreme wishful thinking. They have oilfields in their areas, and Assad wants them. The Kurds will want to keep them. I see little hope that Assad will leave them alone once he 'wins' in the rest of the country, although due to his lack of troops he might leave the job up to the Turks.

Secondly, the dangers of the conflict spreading are still real. Turkey is being an ass, and Iran is, as ever, obsessed with Israel.
    I hadn't been on that site for years - but this was interesting too

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htmurph/articles/20180413.aspx
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Support for a Tory government would be unwise, and a majority LD government seems some way off.

I am not suggesting Coalition, or even Confidence and Supply, but could see a LD party supporting some minority Lab gov legislation.

I would be happy to support legislation, put forward by either of the "big two" on a case by case basis but I can't imagine a Corbyn government proposing very many things that I'd be in agreement with. He's quite clearly about as far away from being a liberal as it's possible to be.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Jezza is a curates egg, good in parts! I am not a supporter of his nationalisation of utilities. There are simply higher priorities, but think a rebalancing of the country in favour of the Millenials is long overdue. I would much prefer a Corbyn Brexit than a Tory one, as it is much more likely to maintain or improve on environmental, food, and social rights. I think Jezza would end the repulsive Hostile Environment that May has instituted, and would regularise the rights of our resident EU citizens.

I would want to steer clear of Middle East conflicts, but would but out of Israel/Palestine along with the rest. We have too much history there, both recent and Imperial to be a good influence.

I dislike some of Jezzas hangers on, but such is the lot of politicians. The Tories have had pretty repulsive staffers too.

Some of your post I might congenially berate you for. However the final paragraph requires robustly demolishing.

The first duty of government is to protect the country. With the defence cuts of recent and coming years it is a duty that the present government has shown only a neglectful intent of fulfilling. A minority Labour government with Corbyn as Prime Minister would completely and totally abrogate their primary obligation.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

You wonder a bit how much longer Merkel has got. After 13 years she's starting to look rather tired.

Completely as an aside, it is staggering to reflect that since 1982 the BDR has had a grand total of three chancellors. Even if we add in the last eight years of the DDR as well that total only rises to five. In the same period of time we've hardly had chronic instability yet we've had six prime Ministers. The shortest time any German leader except Egon Krenz in the dog days of the DDR has served since 1970 is Schroeder at seven years.

I'm not sure whether this speaks to stability or stagnancy. Either way with the current fragmentation of German politics I can't see it lasting much longer.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

PClipp said:

If you go into voluntary liquidation, then it is possible to cash out on Entrepreneurs rate of 10%, I believe.
    The problem is that the whole tax system is just too damn complicated, and if you’ve got a good accountant and tax lawyer it’s easy to run rings around HMRC. Chancellors have spent a lot of effort trying to close what they see as loopholes, but they are generating new ones just as quickly as the tax code expands.

The current UK tax code is over 11,000 pages, by some distance the longest in the world. I’d happily vote for anyone who will have the balls to throw the whole damn tax code in the bin and start again from scratch.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Foxy said:

Some of your post I might congenially berate you for. However the final paragraph requires robustly demolishing.

The first duty of government is to protect the country. With the defence cuts of recent and coming years it is a duty that the present government has shown only a neglectful intent of fulfilling. A minority Labour government with Corbyn as Prime Minister would completely and totally abrogate their primary obligation.
    Well said Jack
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Talking about Germany:

What about him?
    See under "Relations with Russia".
    I was looking at his business interests now at Nord Stream AG and of Rosneft. Does not look good at all. With that and other contentious issues surrounding Russian energy companies, no wonder Germany is quiet!
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Are Canada, Australia and New Zealand on board as well?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

PClipp said:

I thought the amount was very modest though.. Sub 20k?
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    AndyJS said:

Floater said:
    Canada have ruled out joining military strikes
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Floater said:
    Australia yes, Canada no (unless they've changed their minds in the last 48 hours).

New Zealand haven't so far as I know been asked to take part, although their PM was informed of the last set of strikes before they happened.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Foxy said:

I personally be quite happy to spend more on conventional forces, particularly lightweight flexible forces of high mobility. Happy to scrap Trident to help pay for it.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited April 2018
    JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

Unless proved conclusively to the contrary the default position for Tottenham Hotspur is they eventually flatter to deceive.
    The one thing we don't want is for Southampton to win the cup
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    So, to be clear, Labour's latest attack line is that Theresa May should take a decision on military action without consulting the US?
  • Options
  • Options
    UK redeployed reconnaissance asset to Eastern Med

http://www.janes.com/article/79265/raf-deploys-sentinel-to-cyprus
  • Options
    ydoethur said:
    I didn't know that site - but have book marked it now

I found it from here

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/rec.aviation.military/s_LwtO4KHoI
  • Options

So, to be clear, Labour's latest attack line is that Theresa May should take a decision on military action without consulting the US?

Are you expecting something grown up and joined up.... from today's LABOUR party?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    ydoethur said:

New Zealand haven't so far as I know been asked to take part, although their PM was informed of the last set of strikes before they happened.

I liked the New Zealand position on Russian spy expulsions - we would if we could find any.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I liked the New Zealand position on Russian spy expulsions - we would if we could find any.
    The Kiwis were always very classy people.

My grandfather served in 2nd New Zealand Division for a time in the Second World War and would never say a bad word about them.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Foxy said:

JackW said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Floater said:

Source!!
    What does !! meann?

I don't think that

e.
    Here
    Thank you.

Jezza is a curates egg, good in parts! I am not a supporter of his nationalisation of utilities. There are simply higher priorities, but think a rebalancing of the country in favour of the Millenials is long overdue. I would much prefer a Corbyn Brexit than a Tory one, as it ident EU citizens.

I think you view Jezza through Rose-tinted spectacles.

When the current government gets things wrong, it's within the normal parameters of wrongness. Jezza & Co. are something else.
  • Options

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

All right minded folk want spurs to do so..... Obv
  • Options
    Floater said:

Are you expecting something grown up and joined up.... from today's LABOUR party?

Well, I had the pleasure of hearing Diane Abbott explaining their policy on the Today programme this morning.

Presumably they put up Ms Abbott on the grounds that the Shadow Secretary for Defence is even worse, hard though that is to credit.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited April 2018
    Following the conversation about a UK Partisan Voting Index - i.e. to what extent does a seat typically out- or under-perform a party's national share, the biggest changers for the Tories since 2005 have been:

Moving towards the Tories:

1. Wyre Forest (always a Con seat)
    2. Banff and Buchan (Con gain 2017)
    3. Mansfield (Con gain 2017)
    4. Stoke-on-Trent North (never won - just a lot closer now)
    5. Plymouth Moor View (Con gain 2015)
    6. Chesterfield (never won - just a lot closer now)
    7. Morley and Outwood (Con gain 2015)
    8. Moray (Con gain 2017)
    9. Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk (Con gain 2017)
    10. Cannock Chase (Con gain 2010)

Moving away from the Tories:

10. Orkney and Shetland (never won - indeed only started on 13%)
    9. Hove (gain 2010, lost 2015)
    8. Dulwich and West Norwood (never won)
    7. Hammersmith (never won)
    6. Enfield North (lost 2015 - now out of sight)
    5. Ilford South (never won)
    4. Sheffield Hallam (never won)
    3. Leeds North West (never won)
    2. Wallasey (never won)
    1. Bradford West (never won)

• Options
    JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

A fellow spurs fan clearly...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

JackW said:

Foxy said:

I personally be quite happy to spend more on conventional forces, particularly lightweight flexible forces of high mobility. Happy to scrap Trident to help pay for it.

I take the opposite view. I think as a rich nation in an uncertain world we should have more conventional forces and also increase the number of Trident subs plus enhance the number of missiles on board (Blair foolishly cut them unilaterally - France did not for a comparison).

Russia will keep trying it on and so we and other advanced economies in Europe should indicate we will not tolerate their lack of respect by indicating we will enhance and redeploy modern advanced weaponry that they cannot afford to compete with. Russia has an economy half the size of the UK, they cannot afford an arms race where as the UK and other nations can do this.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Floater said:

Well, I had the pleasure of hearing Diane Abbott explaining their policy on the Today programme this morning.

Presumably they put up Ms Abbott on the grounds that the Shadow Secretary for Defence is even worse, hard though that is to credit.
    Who is the Shadow Sec of S for Def at the moment? He fires them so fast I can't keep up.

Edit - it still seems to be Nia Griffith. Now actually she's nobody's fool. I wonder if she might however not have faithfully parroted the party line in the way Abbott will have done, but instead have said things that made sense and might have embarrassed Corbyn later.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Floater said:

Who is the Shadow Sec of S for Def at the moment? He fires them so fast I can't keep up.
    Nia Griffith, I believe.

No, me neither.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Floater said:

Source!!
    What does !! meann?

I don't think that

e.
    Here
    Thank you.

Jezza is a curates egg, good in parts! I am not a supporter of his nationalisation of utilities. There are simply higher priorities, but think a rebalancing of the country in favour of the Millenials is long overdue. I would much prefer a Corbyn Brexit than a Tory one, as it ident EU citizens

I think you view Jezza through Rose-tinted spectacles.

When the current government gets things wrong, it's within the normal parameters of wrongness. Jezza & Co. are something else.
    Myself and 40% of our country disagree. Or are they the wrong sort of Britons?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Floater said:

To be fair to Abbott, she did accept that Assad was almost certainly responsible for the chemical attacks, though it had to be dragged out of her.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

Nia Griffith, I believe.

No, me neither.
    Before that it was Clive Lewis...imagine Team Twat were in power...just think about that for a moment...
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Floater said:

To be fair to Abbott, she did accept that Assad was almost certainly responsible for the chemical attacks, though it had to be dragged out of her.
    My face was so deeply thrust into my palms by that stage that I must have missed that.
  • Options

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

Is that the "PB Burnley we" .... :smile:
  • Options

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

Leicester would like 3 points tommorow for much the same reason. We are better on the road at the present, but likely to only be a single goal in the game.
This discussion has been closed.