Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May now level-pegging with “Don’t know” as to who woul

Comments

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    malcolmg said:

rcs1000 said:

I realise there some can be some confusion about what is, and is not, allowed on pb.

The rules are pretty simple:

1. Don't deny the holocaust. And if you do deny the holocaust and are asked politely by the moderators to stop, then stop. Don't keep posting about how it didn't happen.

2. Don't be rude about OGH. He doesn't like it, and will ban you.

3. Avoid overtly racist or antisemitic posts.

4. Don't libel public figures. OGH has had correspondance from Carter Ruck in the past, and he didn't enjoy the experience. If you're putting OGH in danger of getting sued, you will be banned.

5. Be nice about Radiohead. rcs1000 (me) runs the technical side of the site, and I will ban you if you are caught denying they are the greatest band of the last 30 years. (If you say say that they might be second only to The National, then I might forgive you.)

6. Don't claim to have tipped certain outcomes when you didn't.

7. If you enter into a bet with another site member, then - if you lose - you need to pay up or you will be banned.

8. Don't have multiple different IDs.

9. Use a genuine email address when registering.

You need a number 10 Robert to make it like the Commandments
    10.All site contributors are presumed to be turnips unless otherwise proven.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I know rounding can make it difficult to see, but I'm struggling to see how the change in that Comres poll is a net negative 3. Where have they gone?
  • Options
    How shit are Spurs, absolutely getting mullered by Man City, a side Liverpool beat 5-1 on aggregate.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2018

ComRes

twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/985232758271131648

Jezza's Putin Puppet routine isn't doing him any harm. He like Oasis during Brit Pop, as Noel said he could record himself doing a shit and the kids would still buy a million copies.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    tlg86 said:

Not a penalty, but a red card in my opinion.

Agreed. Spurs have been really poor so far.
  • Options
    Jon Moss really is a crap referee, Ben Davies deserved three red cards for that challenge.

Still not as incompetent as his performance in the Liverpool/Spurs match when he was conned by diving Spurs players.
  • Options

Jon Moss really is a crap referee, Ben Davies deserved three red cards for that challenge.

Still not as incompetent as his performance in the Liverpool/Spurs match when he was conned by diving Spurs players.

I reckon he has dirt on Mike Riley.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    And now the whole wretched UK government Skripal narrative falling apart:

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2018-04-14/russia-trace-of-western-made-nerve-agent-seen-in-uk-samples

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that the UK government is being caught out lying yet again. Of course the BBC propaganda won't cover this, just as they won't cover the fraud, theft and money laundering. Why? Follow the money and you will see people in the BBC linked to it all via Companies House documents. That's not lizard conspiracy theory, that's fact. Follow the money.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

ComRes

Jezza's Putin Puppet routine isn't doing him any harm. He like Oasis during Brit Pop, as Noel said he could record himself doing a shit and the kids would still buy a million copies.
    Jeremy Corbyn or equivalent will be next our PM. The Tories are a busted flush - why would you vote for them?

(And stopping JC is not a strong enough reason)
  • Options
    1/11th of former Tory supporters seeing through their disgraceful lies over Skripal and Syria I'm glad to see.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    hunchman said:

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2018-04-14/russia-trace-of-western-made-nerve-agent-seen-in-uk-samples

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that the UK government is being caught out lying yet again. Of course the BBC propaganda won't cover this, just as they won't cover the fraud, theft and money laundering. Why? Follow the money and you will see people in the BBC linked to it all via Companies House documents. That's not lizard conspiracy theory, that's fact. Follow the money.

Indeed. It is all there, plain as day, in the Change of Company Accounting Reference Date Form of the Elders of Zion (form AA01).
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I know rounding can make it difficult to see, but I'm struggling to see how the change in that Comres poll is a net negative 3. Where have they gone?

The Tories polled 43.5% GB wide in the general election, which rounded up is 44%, so when they poll 40% with ComRes it is a 4% drop, is things like that.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    murali_s said:

ComRes

Jeremy Corbyn or equivalent will be next our PM. The Tories are a busted flush - why would you vote for them?

It really, really is.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

hunchman said:

Indeed. It is all there, plain as day, in the Change of Company Accounting Reference Date Form of the Elders of Zion (form AA01).
    Childish nonsense, entirely befitting of you.
  • Options
    Harry Kane scores one for Spurs.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,995
    hunchman said:

That article falls over with who has given the evidence: the Russian foreign minister is hardly impartial. Russia's already had many different stories about what happened and who to blame: why do you believe this one over the other sh*t he's spread about?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2018

That article falls over with who has given the evidence: the Russian foreign minister is hardly impartial. Russia's already had many different stories about what happened and who to blame: why do you believe this one over the other sh*t he's spread about?

I thought it was the Swedes who did it. Or the Czechs. Or the Slovaks. Or it was accidental. Or it never happened. Or *insert Russian conspiracy theory #345345354*
  • Options
    edited April 2018

tlg86 said:

The Tories polled 43.5% GB wide in the general election, which rounded up is 44%, so when they poll 40% with ComRes it is a 4% drop, is things like that.
    Others (including Plaid) got 1.2% at the 2017 GE. This poll implies others on 3%.

Perhaps they should list "some other as yet unnamed centrist party" when they poll. :D
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Well, I'd say "so far, so reasonable". Plenty of chest-thumping and positive spin from Trump, May and others but I'd like some independent verification as to the effectiveness of these strikes.

I'm not a supporter of the Prime Minister or her Government but it appears a well-planned, co-ordinated and restricted attack on certain installations appears to have been carried out with the customary effectiveness by the Armed Forces involved.

It's completely right and proper to question the medium and long term consequences of what we have done. None of this will stop the slaughter of men, women and children by other, more conventional means, I fear.

I think the diplomatic aim has to be to prize Russia from Assad but that will mean a Syrian Government recognising Russian strategic interests at Tartus and elsewhere even if that Government throws Assad and his thugs under the nearest tank.

I'm convinced Putin needs a ruined client state in Damascus like he needs a hole in the head so let's start sweetening a deal which guarantees Russian strategic interests while offering them a chance to disengage from active participation in the civil war.

Preventing Russia from obtaining a warm water port has been an objective of British foreign policy for over 250 years.
    Russia gained Konigsberg in 1945, unfortunately.
    Although like the Crimea it suffers from being stuck in a bottleneck at the Skagerrak.
    He's right - I cut it short.

Our policy with Russia is 'no warm water port' and 'no free access to the Med'
  • Options

ComRes

Fieldwork 11th and 12th. I'm sure you are right though.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

@Yorkcity

You will please withdraw your libellous comment above.

I am a musician of taste, if not of great skill, and I never play Wagner unless I absolutely have to.

Yd , I did not make that comment.There must be some confusion , as I do not know what was said.
    You said I needed to play more Wagnerian voluntaries.

That implies that I play them in the first place.

I may not be English, but I never play anything more jingoistic or right wing than Parry. (Parry may have been a racist bastard but he could at least compose!)

Edit - oops, sorry, @Yorkcity it was @RoyalBlue. Your avatars are too similar.

How would you like me to grovel?
    No problem , I was confused because I did not really know what had been said.Glad it has been cleared up.Cheers
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

@Yorkcity

You will please withdraw your libellous comment above.

I am a musician of taste, if not of great skill, and I never play Wagner unless I absolutely have to.

Yd , I did not make that comment.There must be some confusion , as I do not know what was said.
    You said I needed to play more Wagnerian voluntaries.

That implies that I play them in the first place.

I may not be English, but I never play anything more jingoistic or right wing than Parry. (Parry may have been a racist bastard but he could at least compose!)

Edit - oops, sorry, @Yorkcity it was @RoyalBlue. Your avatars are too similar.

How would you like me to grovel?
    No problem , I was confused because I did not really know what had been said.Glad it has been cleared up.Cheers
    Don't let him off so easily! Make him pay a penance: just as a thought, how about getting him to play some Wagner for ten minutes every morning for a week? ;)
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    murali_s said:

ComRes

It's more than enough of a reason for me. TSE's Harry Kane post deserves some accolades.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,614
    Warmongering not proving popular? Who would have thought?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Foxy said:

Doesn't really tie in with the fieldwork dates. More likely a reversion to the mean.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

That's before this action. Also 2% gone back to UKIP
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Bloody Spurs. Can’t rely on them for anything.

You can not winning anything for 10 years.I am hoping that will change for the fa cup this year.However not holding my breath .
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Broken, sleazy, warmongering Tories on the slide?
  • Options

hunchman said:

I would like an independent press release from the Swiss lab in an ideal world, but Lavrov wouldn't be so stupid to quote them if they wouldn't back him up. Do you not trust the results of the Swiss lab then?
  • Options
    Andrew said:

I thought it was the Swedes who did it. Or the Czechs. Or the Slovaks. Or it was accidental. Or it never happened. Or *insert Russian conspiracy theory #345345354*
    Straight out of Russia Today - they are seriously deranged
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

I would like an independent press release from the Swiss lab in an ideal world, but Lavrov wouldn't be so stupid to quote them if they wouldn't back him up. Do you not trust the results of the Swiss lab then?
    Do the results from the Swiss lab even exist?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

No, I do not trust Lavrov. The Russians have been stupid enough to say lots of other contradictory rubbish in an attempt to get gullible fools to believe them.

Witness also Russian behaviour over MH17.
  • Options
    Most of that 14% post on PB.

@ComRes for Sunday Express - just 1 in 7 - 14% - believe #Putin NOT responsible for #Salisbury #novichok attack

Tory voters support jt military action by 38% to 31%, Lab oppose by 40% to 27%, LDs oppose by 36% to 30% @ComRes for Sunday Express
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Doesn't really tie in with the fieldwork dates. More likely a reversion to the mean.
    Tories on holiday.

Foxy said:

Shows what happens when they aren't on TV.
  • Options
    New @ComRes poll for Sunday Express: 6 in 10 think Russian Govt 'a force for evil in the world'
  • Options

Harry Kane scores one for Spurs.

Will Spurs still make 4th in premier league ?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

@ComRes for Sunday Express - just 1 in 7 - 14% - believe #Putin NOT responsible for #Salisbury #novichok attack

Tory voters support jt military action by 38% to 31%, Lab oppose by 40% to 27%, LDs oppose by 36% to 30% @ComRes for Sunday Express

Very worrying for the Tories to have such a slender lead amongst their own voters.31% of Tory voters oppose military action is the story.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Bloody Spurs. Can’t rely on them for anything.

You can not winning anything for 10 years.I am hoping that will change for the fa cup this year.However not holding my breath .
    On the plus side Man City only being 1 goal up at half time means that they are in trouble.
  • Options

Very worrying for the Tories to have such a slender lead amongst their own voters.31% of Tory voters oppose military action is the story.
    Depends, military action is quite a broad definition.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Yes there maybe an element that do not like BINO.However they do like the hard man Putin.
  • Options

You do not do policy on opinion polls
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

Yes there maybe an element that do not like BINO.However they do like the hard man Putin.
    Remember UKIP failed to put candidates in 40% (ish? IIRC) of constituencies in 2017, so their final result was depressed accordingly.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Reports of explosions at a large Iranian facility near Aleppo in Syria. Stories have it that aircraft were heard overhead, which seems a little surprising.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Barnesian said:

There probably are many contributory factors. I'm basing my claim on the article by Robert F Kennedy Jnr published in Politico Magazine in 2012 which changed my views on Syria.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/02/rfk-jr-why-arabs-dont-trust-america-213601

Robert Kennedy says "In part because my father was murdered by an Arab, I've made an effort to understand the impact of U.S. policy in the Mideast and particularly the factors that sometimes motivate bloodthirsty responses from the Islamic world against our country."

"Assad enraged the Gulf’s Sunni monarchs by endorsing a Russian-approved “Islamic pipeline” running from Iran’s side of the gas field through Syria and to the ports of Lebanon. The Islamic pipeline would make Shiite Iran, not Sunni Qatar, the principal supplier to the European energy market and dramatically increase Tehran’s influence in the Middle East and the world. Israel also was understandably determined to derail the Islamic pipeline, which would enrich Iran and Syria and presumably strengthen their proxies, Hezbollah and Hamas.

Secret cables and reports by the U.S., Saudi and Israeli intelligence agencies indicate that the moment Assad rejected the Qatari pipeline, military and intelligence planners quickly arrived at the consensus that fomenting a Sunni uprising in Syria to overthrow the uncooperative Bashar Assad was a feasible path to achieving the shared objective of completing the Qatar/Turkey gas link"

Ummm: that article (from 2016) doesn't mention that Israel made a massive off-shore gas discovery (Leviathan). Which is a bit odd, because Israel becoming an energy exporter is a much bigger change to the regional balance of power (and Israel's role) than a putative Syrian gas pipeline.

Indeed, even without a civil war, Israel will be exporting gas to Egypt and Europe five years before the gas pipeline could be realistically constructed. (Indeed, I'd doubt whether the pipeline makes any kind of economic sense in a world where Israel is the low cost Mediterranean gas producer.)
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    edited April 2018
    Roger said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Leader of the Opposition: "Bombs won’t save lives or bring about peace."
    Shadow Chancellor [in 2013]: "It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McDonnell#Irish_Republican_Army

Bombs won't save lives or bring about peace unless used against the British?
    Or the Americans, or the Israelis.

You can bet that if Israel dropped a chemical bomb over their wall, Corbyn would be first on the TV saying that action against them should be hard and immediate.
    In that case he's been very restrained. All who watched the news last night saw Israeli soldiers shooting dead young protesters behind a wire while settlers stood and cheered. i didn't hear any comment from Corbyn when one would have been most appropriate.

You do not do policy on opinion polls
    Absolutely.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

The Dates were Wed and Thur last week, when war was being mongered, even if not yet delivered.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:
    I like this little detail, which rings very true: :)

The White House press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, called any speculation that Trump had ordered Comey’s book “absurd,” adding, “The President does not order reading material.”
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Reports of explosions at a large Iranian facility near Aleppo in Syria. Stories have it that aircraft were heard overhead, which seems a little surprising.

Who would it be this evening Israel ?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    I reckon that if one wants to experience the humours then he/she should go to----PB.Com.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Quite possibly
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Was it after sunset?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:
    I like this little detail, which rings very true: :)

The White House press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, called any speculation that Trump had ordered Comey’s book “absurd,” adding, “The President does not order reading material.”
    Presumably just picture books then ?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Or Saudi.

They have form for bombing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Or Saudi.

It could be but Israel attacked a few days ago
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Or Saudi.

In fairness not against people who may be capable of firing back.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Or Saudi.

Ye, meni air strikes.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Evening all :)

Away from this geopolitical irrelevance for a moment, election fever has hit Newham this weekend (must be the kebabs). Spotted a Labour canvassing team out and about in my Ward this morning (68% Labour last time so obviously a hyper marginal).

Then, on returning from visiting my Dad at the nursing home, we find a postcard and a newspaper called "Breaking Barriers" from the Newham Conservatives. Apparently, the Tories need my help and I can join for just £6 (that presumably makes the Conservatives the Double Three Quidders Party).

So, if I cough up £6 will I get a say in deciding who takes over from Theresa ? Somehow, I suspect not. Obviously, if the Conservatives have the money to produce a four page A4 newspaper for a Borough where they have no Councillors they don't need my £6.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

I'd be wary. Its the aircraft overhead bit that seems odd. Its a fair distance and angle of attack. Could just be a storeman having an unfortunate incident.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The Dates were Wed and Thur last week, when war was being mongered, even if not yet delivered.

Someone claimed the M5 was full of holiday traffic yesterday so it must be all the Conservatives coming back from their Easter break leaving the Labour supporters to keep the economy going.

Perhaps all the Conservatives were on holiday in Torbay.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Y0kel said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

I'd be wary. Its the aircraft overhead bit that seems odd. Its a fair distance and angle of attack. Could just be a storeman having an unfortunate incident.
    An unfortunate accident, aided and and abetted by Andy McNab and James Bond?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Y0kel said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

"Aircraft heard overhead", could just mean: heard a missile flying in.

• Options
    Y0kel said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

An unfortunate accident (assisted)?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Y0kel said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Accidentally brutally struck himself by cruise missiles whilst shaving?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Was it after sunset?
    No idea , Yokel would be the man to ask on these matters.He always seems very knowledgeable to me.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

That's what I'm talking about. 14% of the UK population has gone full moonbat.
  • Options
    glw said:

gone?
  • Options
    glw said:

UKIP did get just over 13% at UK election 2015.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Y0kel said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Least likely option. Accident, missile or Syrian rebel attack that hit the jackpot. The reports are there to suggest something happened but the cause unknown.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited April 2018
    Charles said:

glw said:

gone?
    Revealed then. It really should concern everybody that so many people are willing to accept deeply improbable explanations for events. What other crackpot things do these people believe?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Away from this geopolitical irrelevance for a moment, election fever has hit Newham this weekend (must be the kebabs). Spotted a Labour canvassing team out and about in my Ward this morning (68% Labour last time so obviously a hyper marginal).

Then, on returning from visiting my Dad at the nursing home, we find a postcard and a newspaper called "Breaking Barriers" from the Newham Conservatives. Apparently, the Tories need my help and I can join for just £6 (that presumably makes the Conservatives the Double Three Quidders Party).

So, if I cough up £6 will I get a say in deciding who takes over from Theresa ? Somehow, I suspect not. Obviously, if the Conservatives have the money to produce a four page A4 newspaper for a Borough where they have no Councillors they don't need my £6.

Good spot; they say it is full membership, so you just need to wait 3 months before you can vote in elections - so need to wait for the sweet spot where TMay has another 3 months in her but not a whole year. Seems to be a local thing, not on offer from my constituency party

https://www.westhamconservatives.com/introductory-membership
  • Options

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Or Saudi.

They did, many media sources said that.Is it correct they did not give any official confirmation ?
  • Options
    Interesting to hear some of the post-strike reaction. Though I'm no supporter of the Prime Minister or the Government, it seems, thus far, the strike has been proportionate and limited.

Clearly, no one had any desire to attack Iranian or Russian interests or assets and if the avowed policy was not to go after the main Syrian Armed Forces but to concentrate on the chemical weapons production fair enough.

I'm comfortable with all of this and I suspect everyone else is too including the Russians, Iranians, Syrians, Israelis et al. It has satisfied the notion of "doing something" and gives everyone the chance to ratchet down the tension by saving face. Assad may be upset but he will do what he is told.

Some of the more hawkish commentators are now claiming the attack didn't go far enough - one I saw called it "weak". Perhaps but without running any risk of regional escalation we have basically done the minimum we can get away with and life will hopefully return to normal fairly soon with a mild positive for Trump, Merkel, Macron, May and even Putin.

It's been a politically well-judged militarily precise but limited response. Its long term effectiveness is doubtful and it will do nothing to stop the slaughter of Syrian innocents by more conventional means but that was never the aim or the intention.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Ishmael_Z said:

stodge said:

Good spot; they say it is full membership, so you just need to wait 3 months before you can vote in elections - so need to wait for the sweet spot where TMay has another 3 months in her but not a whole year. Seems to be a local thing, not on offer from my constituency party

It doesn't sound very democratic to have different membership criteria in different parts of the country.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Or Saudi.

They did, many media sources said that.Is it correct they did not give any official confirmation ?
    No admission but widely accepted it was Israel

On the polls on approving the action or otherwise they will be influenced in due course depending on the outcome
  • Options
    glw said:

Charles said:

glw said:

gone?
    Revealed then. It really should concern everybody that so many people are willing to accept deeply improbable explanations for events. What other crackpot things do these people believe?
    There is a remarkably consistent awkward squad response of around 4% to any question ever asked in a poll (the best example is a question accidentally asked in a US poll "Have you ever been decapitated?") so it's only 10% that needs accounting for here. And I am sure people answer polls tactically, so a lot of the 10% will be thinking "what answer will embarrass the government most?"
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

stodge said:

It doesn't sound very democratic to have different membership criteria in different parts of the country.
    I agree. I do just wonder if they have cleared the offer with HQ.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

glw said:

Charles said:

glw said:

gone?
    There is a remarkably consistent awkward squad response of around 4% to any question ever asked in a poll (the best example is a question accidentally asked in a US poll "Have you ever been decapitated?") so it's only 10% that needs accounting for here. And I am sure people answer polls tactically, so a lot of the 10% will be thinking "what answer will embarrass the government most?"
    I think easier to assume 1 in 10 of the population are morons, the other 4% are sqwawkbox / Infowars types.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    If it was Brexit, surely it would be the other way around...sky rocketing in London...as moderate Meeks our reporter from besieged city like to tell us, the capital hasn't taken Brexit well.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

There probably are many contributory factors. I'm basing my claim on the article by Robert F Kennedy Jnr published in Politico Magazine in 2012 which changed my views on Syria.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/02/rfk-jr-why-arabs-dont-trust-america-213601

"Assad enraged the Gulf’s Sunni monarchs by endorsing a Russian-approved “Islamic pipeline” running from Iran’s side of the gas field through Syria and to the ports of Lebanon. The Islamic pipeline would make Shiite Iran, not Sunni Qatar, the principal supplier to the European energy market and dramatically increase Tehran’s influence in the Middle East and the world. Israel also was understandably determined to derail the Islamic pipeline, which would enrich Iran and Syria and presumably strengthen their proxies, Hezbollah and Hamas.

Secret cables and reports by the U.S., Saudi and Israeli intelligence agencies indicate that the moment Assad rejected the Qatari pipeline, military and intelligence planners quickly arrived at the consensus that fomenting a Sunni uprising in Syria to overthrow the uncooperative Bashar Assad was a feasible path to achieving the shared objective of completing the Qatar/Turkey gas link"

Ummm: that article (from 2016) doesn't mention that Israel made a massive off-shore gas discovery (Leviathan). Which is a bit odd, because Israel becoming an energy exporter is a much bigger change to the regional balance of power (and Israel's role) than a putative Syrian gas pipeline.

Indeed, even without a civil war, Israel will be exporting gas to Egypt and Europe five years before the gas pipeline could be realistically constructed. (Indeed, I'd doubt whether the pipeline makes any kind of economic sense in a world where Israel is the low cost Mediterranean gas producer.)
    Assad rejected the Qatari pipeline in 2009 and the fomenting of the Sunni uprising began. The discovery of the Leviathan field came later.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Or Saudi.

On the polls on approving the action or otherwise they will be influenced in due course depending on the outcome
    Yes I agree , I said earlier .The response thus far seems appropriate .If May influenced Trump good on her and she deserves credit for a sensible action.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

27% of Labour voters support airstrikes, not much different to the 31% of Tory voters who oppose them

• Options
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Charles said:

Y0kel said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Accidentally brutally struck himself by cruise missiles whilst shaving?
    Creepy. I just finished watching Dr Strangelove!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

Assad rejected the Qatari pipeline in 2009 and the fomenting of the Sunni uprising began. The discovery of the Leviathan field came later.
    It’s also a large part of why Russia is involved. They’re quite happy with a monopoly gas pipeline to Europe, and a perpetual war blocking the alternate supply way from the Gulf.
  • Options
    That's a fabulous chart. Clearly not being able to afford a house is not affecting Londoners happiness.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

Barnesian said:

Fair enough; in which case the irony is that the pipeline would never have been used.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    The polls are coalescing around 40/40 but Corbyn's popularity is diving and May's on the rise
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

murali_s said:

ComRes

It's more than enough of a reason for me. TSE's Harry Kane post deserves some accolades.
    Good for you but the Tories are still a busted flush.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    murali_s said:

ComRes

Oh yes it fecking is
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    The polls are coalescing around 40/40 but Corbyn's popularity is diving and May's on the rise
    It is back to neck and neck certainly but May has shored up her position
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

ComRes

Good for you but the Tories are still a busted flush.
    20% might be busted flush, 40% most certainly is not
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

Y0kel said:

Or Saudi.

Yes I agree , I said earlier .The response thus far seems appropriate .If May influenced Trump good on her and she deserves credit for a sensible action.
    I woke up (old age insomnia) just as Trump delivered his address to the Nation and followed all the reporting right through the night

Several sources said that May and Macron toned down his attack - he wanted to go much further
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It’s also a large part of why Russia is involved. They’re quite happy with a monopoly gas pipeline to Europe, and a perpetual war blocking the alternate supply way from the Gulf.

The Russians have been the at the forefront of pushing "anti-fracking" laws in Eastern Europe, via various front organisations and - I suspect - direct payments to politicians.

But despite all that, Russia's strangehold on energy supplies to Eastern Europe will continue to wane. Norway's gas production is rising, Israel is coming on stream next year, and everyone is building LNG import terminals to benefit from new supplies from the US and Africa. (And the rise of Australian LNG means that gas from the Gulf will be increasingly directed towards Europe.)

The moves to renewables in Europe - while they have sucked for many consumers - have had a similar effect.

The Russian noose around Eastern Europe is slowly loosening.
This discussion has been closed.