Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Alastair Meeks looks ahead to next month’s local elections

Comments

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Marr - Peoples vote launches in Camden with celebrities

That says it all

You'd have to have some respect for their political acumen if they'd launched it in Sunderland.
    It’s past Edgware on the Northern Line so May as well be on Alpha Centauri.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Matt Dathan - @matt_dathan: And now Jeremy Corbyn demands to see " incontrovertible evidence" that Russia was behind the Skripal attack.
    He'll be accused of playing into the Kremlin's hands again.... @MarrShow

The amazing thing is that he would have had an intelligence briefing under Privy Council terms, he has seen all the classified stuff the rest of us don’t get to see - evidence that convinced the rest of the world to take action against Russia - yet he STILL doesn’t think he’s seen enough.
    Apparently he hasn't seen everything. Quite frankly, he can't be trusted.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    Scott_P said:
    So how many Syrian children need to be gassed to death before he considers action appropriate?

Or does he think we should simply ship all the children out of Syria and give them asylum in the UK instead?
  • Options

That says it all

You'd have to have some respect for their political acumen if they'd launched it in Sunderland.
    But that would mean taking a day out rather than half an hour - and would involve speaking to people who disagree with them rather than the luvvies all talking among themselves.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Scott_P said:
    I thought he approved of our intervention in Sierra Leone? Or would he not have done that

a) without UN Resolution and approval of both House of Parliament or

b) at all?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    So how many Syrian children need to be gassed to death before he considers action appropriate?

Or does he think we should simply ship all the children out of Syria and give them asylum in the UK instead?
    Western bombing could easily kill even more Syrian children.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045

And a question to those labour supporters on here - are you really prepared to put up with this dangerous old fool

Unnecessarily & harshly self critical.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Boris excellent on Marr.

I am not a great fan of Boris but after that deeply disturbing interview by the malign Corbyn it is refreshing to hear an intelligent interview
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

a) all of them unless there is a UN resolution

b) Probably, although US should take some as well.
  • Options

Mr. 86, well, at least he's honest. [Stewart I mean].

Corbyn remains an utter cock.

Mr. P, be fair. Corbyn probably hasn't been shown the evidence. It'd be simpler just to tell Putin directly, after all.

Mr Dancer, as Master Yoda once told us, "Wars not make one great!".
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Corbyn on Marr is quite the most alarming display of Putin loving anti UK rhetoric I have seen from any UK leader in my lifetime. Well done to Marr.

And a question to those labour supporters on here - are you really prepared to put up with this dangerous old fool

His attitudes to some foreign issues bother me a bit, but as we are in NATO we don't have that much control over our foreign policy anyway. And while I think Corbyn is too reticent to use force, the Conservatives are way too ready to roll out the rockets and bombs. So yes, on balance I am prepared to put up with it. My main motivation in voting at the moment is kicking the Conservatives for Brexit anyway. I'll need a really good reason to vote for them again. And voting Labour delivers the biggest kick.
  • Options

After todays interview I apologise to no one on my total opposition to Corbyn and his Russian loving cabal. Labour need to come to their senses and send him on a one way trip to the Kremlin
  • Options
    welshowl said:

That says it all

It’s past Edgware on the Northern Line so May as well be on Alpha Centauri.
    Grand Central trains run a few trains a day direct from Kings Cross. (Hope to use the service to plug the gap between Northallerton and Sunderland via Stockton some time in the near future).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Matt Dathan - @matt_dathan: And now Jeremy Corbyn demands to see " incontrovertible evidence" that Russia was behind the Skripal attack.
    He'll be accused of playing into the Kremlin's hands again.... @MarrShow

The amazing thing is that he would have had an intelligence briefing under Privy Council terms, he has seen all the classified stuff the rest of us don’t get to see - evidence that convinced the rest of the world to take action against Russia - yet he STILL doesn’t think he’s seen enough.
    There are two options:

a) Corbyn is too politically set in his way to ever concede that Russia can be as malign an influence in the world as he thinks the UK must be or

b) he is just pig-shit thick and doesn't understand what he is being told.

I'm coming round to the view that Corbyn will never amount to much more than an interesting footnote in UK political history, having robbed May of her majority - but as Brexit's Bessy Mate, allowed the Tories to get away from an idealogical split that has dogged them for decades.
  • Options

Corbyn on Marr is quite the most alarming display of Putin loving anti UK rhetoric I have seen from any UK leader in my lifetime. Well done to Marr.

His attitudes to some foreign issues bother me a bit, but as we are in NATO we don't have that much control over our foreign policy anyway. And while I think Corbyn is too reticent to use force, the Conservatives are way too ready to roll out the rockets and bombs. So yes, on balance I am prepared to put up with it. My main motivation in voting at the moment is kicking the Conservatives for Brexit anyway. I'll need a really good reason to vote for them again. And voting Labour delivers the biggest kick.
    There is an expression for that - shooting oneself in the foot

But thank you for your response
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Dr. Prasannan, appeasement does not make one great either.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235

Finally from Survation

Which of the following do you think is the bigger factor influencing Jeremy Corbyn’s decision to oppose military action against Syria?

Genuine belief that military action was not justified and/or would make things worse 40%

Political opportunism in trying to damage the government 40%

Don’t know 20%

Weird they didn't give an option of him being a traitor who puts countries like Russia and Syria ahead of our own interests. I don't believe it was opportunism. I think that is genuinely the way he thinks.
  • Options
    Tony Benn on bombing. The odd look chap at the back is the next Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland:

https://twitter.com/robabdul/status/984899279675383808
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

TGOHF said:

Boris excellent on Marr.

I am not a great fan of Boris but after that deeply disturbing interview by the malign Corbyn it is refreshing to hear an intelligent interview
    Hhhmm ...

Using Jezza as a yardstick against which to judge Boris is a very marginal recommendation.
  • Options
    JackW said:

TGOHF said:

Boris excellent on Marr.

Hhhmm ...

Using Jezza as a yardstick against which to judge Boris is a very marginal recommendation.
    I accept that
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Corbyn dealing with Putin would involve him inviting him over and bending over why Vlad rammed his own allotment produce up the proverbial.
  • Options

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

Boris excellent on Marr.

Hhhmm ...

I accept that
    But that could be precisely what voters have to do at GE 2022.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

The later. And then invite Assad, Putin, Iran and all the Islamist nutter groups to the UK to have a cup of tea and a chat and request that everybody play nice as it makes the world a better place.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:
    I'm not particularly comfortable holding sons responsible for the sins of their fathers.
    Not even when the sons or brothers or spouses might be used as a conduit for the sanctioned individual to evade sanctions?
    Then that should be investigated as such. If the authorities are concerned, examine their finances and dealings with a fine-tooth comb and try to remove any money not lawfully earnt (if, that is, there is suitable legislation (*) - I'm guessing the proceeds of crime act doesn't have enough breadth).

We may well learn more to our advantage than just chucking them out.

But it is really worrying that you assume there must be wrongdoing just because their father is a wrong'un. You might be right - in fact, I think you probably are, although I could not tell you the scale - but there has to be a proper and fair process.

(*) If there is not such legislation, some should probably be created quickly. International agreement might also help here.
    I do not assume. I have reasons for saying that family members are all too often used as a way of bypassing sanctions or otherwise permitting bad actors access to our financial sector. I think we should be much tougher on this and on who we give British citizenship - something of real value - to.

We have laws but we do not seem to use them or use them consistently and it gives our financial sector - and our country - a bad reputation. There is little point bombing a country while allowing its leaders and their families to salt away nice little nest eggs for them to enjoy for when they have to leave.
  • Options
    Having just watched the Corbyn interview on catch-up.

He should resign as leader of the labour party immediately as he cannot protect this country. How Labour MPs can campaign for him as PM is worrying.

[entirely objective and unbiased opinion, entirely unrelated to betting position]
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

James Tapsfield - @JamesTapsfield: Labour leader says he would not countenance any military action without UN resolution. So Russian veto on UK foreign policy

And French. Someone get the smelling salts for TSE...
    Have the French ever used their veto ?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    And Marr pointed out that Corbyn had voted against action even when it was supported by the UN.
    Which shows that his claim about the UN being the proper body to determine such matters is utterly bogus.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    And Marr pointed out that Corbyn had voted against action even when it was supported by the UN.
    Which shows that his claim about the UN being the proper body to determine such matters is utterly bogus.
    We aren't perhaps suggesting that Saint Jezza is like most other politicians, a bit fat liar. There were no free seats on that train...
  • Options

He should resign as leader of the labour party immediately as he cannot protect this country. How Labour MPs can campaign for him as PM is worrying.

[entirely objective and unbiased opinion, entirely unrelated to betting position]

You’ll love this

https://twitter.com/asromaen/status/984846132999311360?s=21
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Clem, Hugh and Nye are turning in their graves at the moment. The proud patriotic Labour tradition has been turned into an anti-Western party under the current leadership.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    No it doesn't.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

You are quite right, if Corbyn becomes PM the UK will be defenceless. How Labour MP's can carry on with him and his cabal in control is unfathomable. The defence of the nation must come first.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    (((Dan Hodges))) - @DPJHodges: Why does Putin need bot-farms when he can simply plug his propaganda into the Corynites social-media feed. Including the feed of Labour members of parliament.
  • Options
    On topic, not sure if this was written before the 3 opinion polls last night which all showed a dead heat. If there was a Tory lead it seems to have evaporated so any swing in their favour is going to be miniscule.

In fact, I think it is going to be negative for the reasons shown by Alastair's rather excellent map. The Tories may or may not be ahead nationally but if they are it is because they are doing better (on the whole) in the areas that are not voting this time out. The areas where voting is taking place is where Labour has outperformed their national average. So we have seen London, for example, become ever more Labour even as Labour lost ground in the midlands and parts of the north.

If these trends continue I would expect these results to show a modest net swing to Labour in these areas compared to 2014, simply because these are the areas that they have made the most progress since then. The Tories might do better in some regions, especially where UKIP did well in 2014, but overall these results are in Corbyn central.

I expect a net Tory to Labour swing of 2-3% and Labour net gains of between 100 and 150, mainly in London. Which, to be honest, would not be the worst result for a government enduring a sticky patch more than a year after the election.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Clem, Hugh and Nye are turning in their graves at the moment. The proud patriotic Labour tradition has been turned into an anti-Western party under the current leadership.
    And one that the Jews are scared of the opinions of a significant proportion of the membership...

Come back Eddie Spheroids, I won't hold Strictly Come Dancing against you.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    Sandpit said:

Max Verstappen is proving for the second weekend in a row that he's a right Dutch shunt

Yup, he’s thrown away a podium today. Needs to calm down more than a little.

Great race though.
    Everyone makes a mistake once in a while, but Verstappen - and the guys who make Mercedes’ strategy calls - seem to be making a habit of it.
    Merecedes can probably improve their organisation... Verstappen might just be an irredeemable copy of his father, which would be a shame for someone of his talent.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Scott_P said:

(((Dan Hodges))) - @DPJHodges: Why does Putin need bot-farms when he can simply plug his propaganda into the Corynites social-media feed. Including the feed of Labour members of parliament.

I would love to know where all the funding for InfoWars and Sqwawkbox comes, different cheeks of the same arse when it comes to pumping out useful propaganda for the Russian side of the argument.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

On topic, not sure if this was written before the 3 opinion polls last night which all showed a dead heat. If there was a Tory lead it seems to have evaporated so any swing in their favour is going to be miniscule.

In fact, I think it is going to be negative for the reasons shown by Alastair's rather excellent map. The Tories may or may not be ahead nationally but if they are it is because they are doing better (on the whole) in the areas that are not voting this time out. The areas where voting is taking place is where Labour has outperformed their national average. So we have seen London, for example, become ever more Labour even as Labour lost ground in the midlands and parts of the north.

If these trends continue I would expect these results to show a modest net swing to Labour in these areas compared to 2014, simply because these are the areas that they have made the most progress since then. The Tories might do better in some regions, especially where UKIP did well in 2014, but overall these results are in Corbyn central.

I expect a net Tory to Labour swing of 2-3% and Labour net gains of between 100 and 150, mainly in London. Which, to be honest, would not be the worst result for a government enduring a sticky patch more than a year after the election.

Everything you say makes perfect logical sense. Perfect logical sense has been a very poor predictor of actual outcomes lately.
  • Options

You’ll love this

https://twitter.com/asromaen/status/984846132999311360?s=21
    Football seems trivial when our next PM appears to want our country run as an offshoot of Russia..... goes to check Fantasy Footie scores in the meantime (cos that is important obv)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I would love to know where all the funding for InfoWars and Sqwawkbox comes, different cheeks of the same arse when it comes to pumping out useful propaganda for the Russian side of the argument.
    Hunchman might be able to help tracking it down through companies house? :)
  • Options
    Mr. B, Mercedes weren't the only one to make a poor strategic decision, to be fair.

Verstappen has cocked up at every race so far. He's in danger of becoming a faster version of Maldonado.
  • Options

Tory! Tory! Tory!

Which of these "Tory Wars" would you not have supported?

- the Falklands War (liberation of the Falkland Islands from invasion by military junta)

- Gulf War '91 (liberation of Kuwait from invasion by Saddam Hussein)

- the Bosnian War - medieval warlords engaged in medieval warfare of seige and slaughter of civilians until ended by the Dayton Accords

- Libyan Civil War

- war on ISIS (Operation Shader)

I can only see one on there that Tories would have to justify with hindsight. Certainly nothing to compare with rolling out the rockets and bombs of Iraq and Afghanistan...as done by Labour.
  • Options

Mr. B, Mercedes weren't the only one to make a poor strategic decision, to be fair.

Verstappen has cocked up at every race so far. He's in danger of becoming a faster version of Maldonado.

Leave Crashtor alone.

Verstsappen is F1’s Hannibal, massively overrated because he got a few lucky victories early on.
  • Options

Great betting day yday with the tiger and city obliging. .. .spurs not turning up after I drove 5 hours to do so... The so and so's

My jezza to go in 18 bets not looking as good. Tracey crouch like the tiger just staying in the pack of riders for now before making her move. Come on those Barnet tories !!

https://tinyurl.com/ybdzpnds

‘There is no desire among the top clubs to change,’ Tracey Crouch claimed as West Brom were turned down, but the message from Old Trafford, the Emirates and all is very different
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Verstsappen is F1’s Hannibal, massively overrated because he got a few lucky victories early on.

That would be the elephant in the room ....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    It is not true that local elections have no relevance to general elections, Blair and Cameron for example got huge local election swings to their parties in the local elections before 1997 and 2010.

On the basis of the chart it looks like while Labpur has scope for gains in London and the South, the Tories could make gains in East Anglia, the Midlands and the North
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Max Verstappen is proving for the second weekend in a row that he's a right Dutch shunt

Yup, he’s thrown away a podium today. Needs to calm down more than a little.

Great race though.
    Everyone makes a mistake once in a while, but Verstappen - and the guys who make Mercedes’ strategy calls - seem to be making a habit of it.
    Merecedes can probably improve their organisation... Verstappen might just be an irredeemable copy of his father, which would be a shame for someone of his talent.

Mercedes’ strategy wasn’t half as bad as Ferrari’s strategy that, safety car aside, would have cost them the race win.
  • Options
    Corbyn on Marr this morning was defending not only his opposition to bombing Assad but even his opposition to bombing ISIS on the grounds the Kurds made the difference against them, suggesting he would be the first pacifist PM if elected
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

James Tapsfield - @JamesTapsfield: Labour leader says he would not countenance any military action without UN resolution. So Russian veto on UK foreign policy

And French. Someone get the smelling salts for TSE...
    Have the French ever used their veto ?
    Wiki seems a litle behind the times, but "France has used its veto power sparingly, vetoing 18 resolutions from 1949 to 2007, compared with 82 by the United States and 123 by the Soviet Union and Russia, 32 by Britain, and 6 by China."

It did also mutter about vetoing Resolution 1441 on Iraq in 2002.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited April 2018

Tory! Tory! Tory!

- the Falklands War (liberation of the Falkland Islands from invasion by military junta)

- the Bosnian War - medieval warlords engaged in medieval warfare of seige and slaughter of civilians until ended by the Dayton Accords

- Libyan Civil War

I can only see one on there that Tories would have to justify with hindsight. Certainly nothing to compare with rolling out the rockets and bombs of Iraq and Afghanistan...as done by Labour.
    I thought the conservatives did not get involved in the former Yugoslavia ? Labour did in 1998.
  • Options
    Emily Thornberry on message on Peston.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

It's interesting that corbyn is more in tune on the Syrian issue than May-the need to consult parliament and being against the bombing-but on foreign affairs in general he's seen to be the more flaky.

The reason for his perceived flakiness is pretty obvious considering his past but being on the right side of public opinion on this one could be an opportunity for a rebrand. He has to show that it's not about siding with the wrong people but about democracy and the undesirability of resorting to bombing. I have a strong feeling that's where the zeitgeist is heading at the moment

• Options
    Roger said:

It's interesting that corbyn is more in tune on the Syrian issue than May-the need to consult parliament and being against the bombing-but on foreign affairs in general he's seen to be the more flaky.

The reason for his perceived flakiness is pretty obvious considering his past but being on the right side of public opinion on this one could be an opportunity for a rebrand. He has to show that it's not about siding with the wrong people but about democracy and the undesirability of resorting to bombing. I have a strong feeling that's where the zeitgeist is heading at the moment

As his personal poll ratings plummet like a stone and he gives a car crash interview on Marr today
  • Options
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Tory! Tory! Tory!

- Libyan Civil War

I thought the conservatives did not get involved in the former Yugoslavia ? Labour did in 1998.
    Peacekeeping efforts in Bosnia, between 1992 and 1995. In 1994, there were 2,450 British soldiers serving with the UN Protection Force, a contribution second only to that of the French. The Dayton Accords were signed in 1996, before Blair came to power.
  • Options

Tory! Tory! Tory!

- Libyan Civil War

You can be worried about someone being trigger happy without disagreeing about every time they pulled the trigger. I am sure there will be an expert on here who knows for sure, but wasn't the Bosnia one Tony Blair?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Tory! Tory! Tory!

- Libyan Civil War

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Deliberate_Force
  • Options
    Roger said:

Rogerdamus strikes again...!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

ttps://twitter.com/Maomentum_/status/985446866065162240

https://twitter.com/Maomentum_/status/985251356633157632
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Scott_P said:

We should assume the Russian bots, who may well have made a decisive difference on the Brexit vote, will be adding to Corbynmania come next election.

Unless we decide to get serious about the capture of social media by enemy propagandists.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Scott_P said:

Morally if not legally Jeremy Corbyn is a traitor.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, very unfair comparison. Badoer was a slow driver, but he knew he wasn't in the dodgems.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn on Marr this morning was defending not only his opposition to bombing Assad but even his opposition to bombing ISIS on the grounds the Kurds made the difference against them, suggesting he would be the first pacifist PM if elected

There is a small but important list of jobs where being a pacifist should preclude you from getting the post:

a) nuclear sub commander
    b) Minister of Defence
    c) Prime Minister

How does Pacifist in Chief Corbyn suggest he would do better at negotiating North Korea's denuclearisation as against the approach of "he's mad as a bunch of frogs and might just bomb us back into the stone age Commander in Chief Trump?

I'd love to hear that. A new, kinder diplomacy perhaps? *chortle*
  • Options

DavidL said:

Everything you say makes perfect logical sense. Perfect logical sense has been a very poor predictor of actual outcomes lately.
    A very fair point!
  • Options
    The joint action has been welcomed by the International community and NATO and seems to have been successful. The UK, France and the US are drafting a resolution over Syria to put to the UN and of course the alliance will have more influence over matters in Syria than they had before the strikes.

So in spite of wide International approval the left in this Country only want to give succour to Russia and Assad.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The political polarisation in England is likely to be seen to be widening if the local elections go the way I think,cities,including London,turning full on red,and much of the rest getting a brighter shade of blue.This can only lead to more fragmentation and more calls for devolved cities,including London becoming an EU city-state, and a devolved Yorkshire.
    The message from people amounts to a call for devolution in England whether spawned by English nationalism or a liberal call for genuine localism.My hope is that there is a renewed call for regional government.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Talking of luvvies, Judi Dench tells peasants in Cornwall where she goes on holiday that they do not need mobile phone service.

“The serenity of the area, those that live here, its wildlife and wonderful natural beauty would be adversely affected. I feel strongly that we should protect this.

“Whilst telephones and technology have an important part to play in the modern world, it is sometimes a gift to escape. This is a gift much of the Cornish coast is able to provide."

Is she going to Camden today?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/14/judi-dench-told-cornish-villagers-stop-interfering-phone-mast/
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    On Topic:

Has anybody seen total's for the number of candidates each party is putting up this time and how that compare to 2014? At a guess the Labor party, with all there new members, will be putting up close to a full slate in most places, while I hear that the troys where struggling to find people. But it would be interesting to know how big the difference is compared to 2014. it may also have an effect on the outcome if labor don't have to defend all of their seats as some are unopposed.

also any predictions about the Lib Dems? they did quite bad in 2014 loosing 310 seats (out of 737) so that may insulate them from to may losses this time, but i think they are lower in the poles this time so may still have some losses, if bad enough could it lead to Vince Cable departing and a new Lib Dem leader?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871

After todays interview I apologise to no one on my total opposition to Corbyn and his Russian loving cabal. Labour need to come to their senses and send him on a one way trip to the Kremlin
    Morning G, it was a funny response though, at least made me chuckle.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

There is a small but important list of jobs where being a pacifist should preclude you from getting the post:

a) nuclear sub commander
    b) Minister of Defence
    c) Prime Minister

How does Pacifist in Chief Corbyn suggest he would do better at negotiating North Korea's denuclearisation as against the approach of "he's mad as a bunch of frogs and might just bomb us back into the stone age Commander in Chief Trump?

A nice discussion with herbal tea and scones and jam no doubt
  • Options
    Roger said:

He has to show that it's not about siding with the wrong people but about democracy and the undesirability of resorting to bombing. I have a strong feeling that's where the zeitgeist is heading at the moment

You need to catch up, this morning Corbyn has made it clear that he will be siding with the wrong people.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2018
    Roger said:

He has to show that it's not about siding with the wrong people but about democracy and the undesirability of resorting to bombing.

Of course bombing in undesirable. But what do you do when a country gasses 700 people, claims to have destroyed its WMD as a condition of not being attacked, then mounts dozens more chemical attacks over the next five years?

There's a cost to doing nothing in such a situation, and that cost is measured in kids literally drowning in their own blood.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Morning G, it was a funny response though, at least made me chuckle.
    Morning Malc - have calmed down a bit since listening to the car crash interview on Marr by Corbyn

Have a nice day
  • Options
    glw said:

Roger said:

He has to show that it's not about siding with the wrong people but about democracy and the undesirability of resorting to bombing. I have a strong feeling that's where the zeitgeist is heading at the moment

You need to catch up, this morning Corbyn has made it clear that he will be siding with the wrong people.
    The head choppers in Syria?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

a) nuclear sub commander
    b) Minister of Defence
    c) Prime Minister

A nice discussion with herbal tea and scones and jam no doubt
    Scones are awesome. The world would be a better place with more scones.
  • Options
    Note the 'Whataboutery' that follows Hodges tweet.
  • Options
    glw said:

Roger said:

May and Corbyn are much of a muchness, both useless and promoted well above their level of competence. Is it any wonder the UK is in such a state when you look at the morons running the country.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Russia imperialism on the other hand is to be welcomed.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

The joint action has been welcomed by the International community and NATO and seems to have been successful. The UK, France and the US are drafting a resolution over Syria to put to the UN and of course the alliance will have more influence over matters in Syria than they had before the strikes.

So in spite of wide International approval the left in this Country only want to give succour to Russia and Assad.

G, at the end of the day it achieved nothing and most people don't care a jot. We just wasted several million whilst our streets are full of people sleeping rough. You could not make it up.
    UN and NATO are just 5 star clubs for moronic politicians who have outgrown their local trough.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

glw said:

Roger said:

Oh Corbyn made it clear he wasn't going to do anything about them years ago.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937

Tony Benn on bombing. The odd look chap at the back is the next Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland:

https://twitter.com/robabdul/status/984899279675383808

I didn't always agree with what he said or his political views but Tony Benn really was a stunningly good speaker and Parliamentarian. The current crop look and sound like a bunch of pigmies in comparison.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

G, at the end of the day it achieved nothing and most people don't care a jot. We just wasted several million whilst our streets are full of people sleeping rough. You could not make it up.
    I am not so sure. The attack was a joint effort and has opened the door to a joint UK, France, US resolution to the UN over Syria and it has increased our influence.

In the longer term this may have a force for good but then I am not as cynical or excel at wind ups as your goodself
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    glw said:

Roger said:

Mr Corbyn wants the UK to press for a ceasefire.Which "wrong people" are you talking about?Whose grandchildren are the "wrong people" or the "right people" and does it include Yemeni children,or children in Gaza?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    glw said:

glw said:

Roger said:

Oh Corbyn made it clear he wasn't going to do anything about them years ago.
    At last, something he has in common with May!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Scott_P said:

I'm a bit rusty on the details of UN procedure, but I thought that it was possible to take resolutions to the General Assembly where a two-thirds majority would overrule a veto by a member of the Permanent Five.

Of course, members of the permanent five would generally pretend they don't need a resolution than weaken their own veto power by using the General Assembly option, and Corbyn is using the lack of a UN resolution as cover for his opposition in all circumstances, but as a point of logic insisting on a UN resolution does not, I think, give Russia a veto on British foreign policy - if we are confident of persuading two-thirds of the countries of the world to support us.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Russia imperialism on the other hand is to be welcomed.
    Bits of Labour are siding with a government that is diametrically opposed to almost everything Labour used to stand for. It seems that the Russian goverment's anti-Westerness is enough to justify ignoring everything else about it.

• Options
    Jesus, what a sight, the Labour shadow defence secretary on R5 trying to dig Conspiracy Theory Corbyn out of a hole, after they played him the clip where Jezza suggests it might not have been Assad.

The Labour party leadership have become like Infowars, can't be long until they talk about the moon landings being fake, 9/11 being an inside job, etc.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

malcolmg said:

I am not so sure. The attack was a joint effort and has opened the door to a joint UK, France, US resolution to the UN over Syria and it has increased our influence.

In the longer term this may have a force for good but then I am not as cynical or excel at wind ups as your goodself
    You probably said the same last year when Trump sent missiles.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937

The political polarisation in England is likely to be seen to be widening if the local elections go the way I think,cities,including London,turning full on red,and much of the rest getting a brighter shade of blue.This can only lead to more fragmentation and more calls for devolved cities,including London becoming an EU city-state, and a devolved Yorkshire.
    The message from people amounts to a call for devolution in England whether spawned by English nationalism or a liberal call for genuine localism.My hope is that there is a renewed call for regional government.

Regional Government is a horrible idea. It does nothing to address the differences and polarisation you refer to, all it does is lead to exactly the same problems on a regional basis with the rural and shire areas being dominated by the cities. It leads to more imbalances and more fragmentation not less.

Power should rest primarily at the local level not the regional. Districts and (at a push) counties should be the main political units, certainly not artificially created regions.
  • Options
    What did Theresa May have to fear from the British parliament?
  • Options
    Jezza pushed another ludicrous idea on Marr. We should get the report then present it to Assad and tell the nasty man to get rid of his chemical weapons....and of course the only people who will be oversee this process are Russia, who claim it was the white helmet who carried out the chemical attack (aided by the UK).
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    If Jezza becomes PM, the SAS are going to be out of a job. Who needs an elite military service if before you launch any action you have to spend 3 years arguing with parliament and the UN and widely advertising what you are about to do.
  • Options

Jesus, what a sight, the Labour shadow defence secretary on R5 trying to dig Conspiracy Theory Corbyn out of a hole, after they played him the clip where Jezza suggests it might not have been Assad.

The Labour party leadership have become like Infowars, can't be long until they talk about the moon landings being fake, 9/11 being an inside job, etc.

I would love a sting by a newspaper to get Corbyn's views off the record when he thinks he's amongst friends. The stuff Corbyn comes out with in public is bonkers, but presumably guarded. What does he say in private?
This discussion has been closed.