Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s the potential for Labour to get a long term polling bo

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, Miss JGP.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Roger said:

The most interesting feature of the above poll is that in addition to all the other discoveries we've recently made about the character of 'Leavers' we've now discovered there's also a good chance they'll be anti-Semites.

We have discovered there is a less than evens chance that they agree with one of seven propositions, some of which as discussed downthread are not really anti-semitic anyway.

I am just staggered by the way these findings have been presented. "Pockets" broken down by sex, age, party, EUref but not religion. It would be really interesting to know whether any particular religious group stood out from the rest: Sikhs, say, or 7th Day Adventists, or Mahayana Buddhists...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Man city win premiership.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Which anti-semitic statement did older voters endorse?

TSE - your header is loathsome - the politics of division. You're inventing factions where none exist. You should be ashamed.

At least one of

1) “British Jewish people chase money more than other British people.”

2) “Having a connection to Israel makes Jewish people less loyal to Britain than other British people.”

3) “Jewish people consider themselves to be better than other British people.”

4) “Compared to other groups, Jewish people have too much power in the media.”

5) “Jewish people talk about the Holocaust just to further their political agenda.”

6) “Jewish people can be trusted just as much as other British people in business.”

7) “I am just as open to having Jewish friends as I am to having friends from other sections of British society.”
  • Options
    Many congratulations to Manchester City. - Exceptional team - wonderful season

From a lifelong Manchester United supporter
  • Options

And the tweet of the day award goes to Chris Williamson:

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/985516652501618688

The Wing-nut in chief linking to joke outlet....
  • Options

They were another class last night too... painful to watch first-hand and yet seemingly made it look so simple in what they were doing.
  • Options

They were another class last night too... painful to watch first-hand and yet seemingly made it look so simple in what they were doing.
    Must be a different team, we just beat 5-1 on aggregate, and 9-4 this season when it was 11v11.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2018

Yes. Mazeltov. Ooops!
  • Options

Spurs could do with two new defenders in centre of the back four.
  • Options

Must be a different team, we just beat 5-1 on aggregate, and 9-4 this season when it was 11v11.
    one for Klopp's trophy cabinet that.... [see what I've done there]
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Omnium said:

TSE - your header is loathsome - the politics of division. You're inventing factions where none exist. You should be ashamed.

At least one of

2) “Having a connection to Israel makes Jewish people less loyal to Britain than other British people.”

5) “Jewish people talk about the Holocaust just to further their political agenda.”

6) “Jewish people can be trusted just as much as other British people in business.”

7) “I am just as open to having Jewish friends as I am to having friends from other sections of British society.”
    I'm assuming the last two are negatives...
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Spurs need to win something.I am concerned they now might not finish in the top four.
  • Options

Can't agree - Jan was immense (again) y'day - Sanchez a rare stinker & he's v young- the full backs were both dreadful however. Toby of course wasn't even let on the bench sadly.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited April 2018
    Yorkcity said:

Spurs need to win something.I am concerned they now might not finish in the top four.
    even I'm not fretting about that...... yet. Chelsea still to play Liverpool so one of them has to drop points and our run in is pretty nice now (3 homes games and away to Brighton and rejuvenated but still by then relegated Baggies). Man U have actually made 2nd interesting today too.
  • Options

I hope Liverpool win the European cup.I was in Italy in 1984 , when they beat Roma.Great night.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616

Omnium said:

At least one of

Sorry to disappoint the 'all Labourites are antisemites' crowd, but on that survey I'm not.

Can we have a similar survey about Muslims to see who is the most Islamophobic?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Have you quoted these accurately? I would consider asking these questions odd but agreeing with these when given a forced choice doesn't seem particularly antisemetic.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

even I'm not fretting about that...... yet. Chelsea still to play Liverpool so one of them has to drop points and our run in is pretty nice now (3 homes games and away to Brighton and rejuvenated but still by then relegated Baggies). Man U have actually made 2nd interesting today too.
    I hope they make top 4 and win Fa cup.Be a good start for the new ground.
  • Options

Have you quoted these accurately? I would consider asking these questions odd but agreeing with these when given a forced choice doesn't seem particularly antisemetic.
    https://antisemitism.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Antisemitism-Barometer-2017.pdf

page 7 for the questions. Obv it's agree/disagree, and you have to disagree with the 2 you quote to count as anti.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

It was not 11 v 11 in either leg of the CL QF. Liverpool had at least 12 on their side in each game.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Don't give scrapheap heart scares ;-)
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Don't give scrapheap EVEN MORE heart scares ;-)
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited April 2018
    If only I could triple captain Lukaku next Saturday too.... that would have seen us through for sure.

OGH - please now ensure Burnley finish above the Gooners (every chance) as that would mean they'd be playing in the Europa prelim rounds in July!!! (discounting them winning the Europa Cup...)
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

I hope Liverpool win the European cup.I was in Italy in 1984 , when they beat Roma.Great night.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

Omnium said:

At least one of

Sorry to disappoint the 'all Labourites are antisemites' crowd, but on that survey I'm not.

(Snip)
    Is there actually a "'all Labourites are antisemites' crowd", or are posters just pointing out that there have been significant problems with the way that the Labour hierarchy have been handling people who have made comments that might be antisemitic?
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    It is astonishing that Corbyn is still pushing this "there's not enough evidence" line when dozens of countries, some quite friendly to Russia, have seen and believed the evidence. Even the OCPW - the very people he demands should determine these things - says that the evidence shows Russia has done it.

I am genuinely wondering whether something is going on here beyond Corbyn and Russia's shared anti-Western beliefs.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Omnium said:

At least one of

Finding Islamaphobes in other parties would make you more relaxed about the anti-semites in Labour would it?
  • Options

Omnium said:

At least one of

How are you getting on against the "all Labourites who are not antisemites are tolerant of antisemitism in their own party” crowd?
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Elliot said:

It is astonishing that Corbyn is still pushing this "there's not enough evidence" line when dozens of countries, some quite friendly to Russia, have seen and believed the evidence. Even the OCPW - the very people he demands should determine these things - says that the evidence shows Russia has done it.

I am genuinely wondering whether something is going on here beyond Corbyn and Russia's shared anti-Western beliefs.

Have the Russians got something really damning on Corbyn?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited April 2018

Omnium said:

At least one of

Finding Islamaphobes in other parties would make you more relaxed about the anti-semites in Labour would it?
    The problem isn’t racists in a party - all political parties and voluntary organisations have undesirables who get involved. The problem is the complete lack of action in dealing with the problem when it happens, and that inaction being driven by the leadership.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

No. You have just misunderestimated how stupid Corbyn is.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Elliot, it's not like he used to visit the Eastern bloc on holiday or met with members of their security services.

Mr. Garner, ha. I doubt it. Corbyn's being pro-Russian and anti-British by choice. Remember when the drone strikes took our terrorists and he questioned the legality? Or when he questioned shoot to kill policies against terrorists on the streets?
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:
    Probably no one home ... both upstairs in the building and with the complainant.
    "What do you mean officer, am I familiar with the concept of wasting police time?"
    "Thank you for your call to Berwick Police Station.

1. Press 1 if you are calling after normal working hours.
    2. Press 2 if you are calling at the weekend
    3. Press 3 if you require a police officer to attend within a fortnight
    4. Press 4 if you are being murdered and require a forensic scientist to attend.
    5. Press 5 if you wish to donate to the Chief Constables legal aid fund.
    6. Press 6 if you wish to waste further police time and your own.

Your call is important to us"
    4 made me giggle.....
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Cheers.
    Seriously thinking about asking the (Ukrainian) wife if she’d like to go and visit her parents for the last week in May, but scared it’s going to jinx the team if I book the trip before I know we’ve qualified...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

At least one of

The problem isn’t racists in a party - all political parties and voluntary organisations have undesirables who get involved. The problem is the complete lack of action in dealing with the problem when it happens, and that inaction being driven by the leadership.
    That lack of action is being justified because of comfort taken in the somewhat non-obvious notion that "all parties are as bad as each other...."
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Don't give scrapheap heart scares ;-)
    True , anyways can not see York City ever recovering .
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Peter Hitchens

Verified account

@ClarkeMicah
    Follow Follow @ClarkeMicah
    More
    Funny how little we hear about Jaish-al-Islam, the Islamist fanatics who were in control of Douma at the time of claims of a gas attack. For instance, Jaish-al-Islam were *themselves* accused of using gas in Aleppo against Kurds in 2016
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

At least one of

That lack of action is being justified because of comfort taken in the somewhat non-obvious notion that "all parties are as bad as each other...."
    I’m reminded of a few dodgy UKIP councillors who turned up, as that party expanded and didn’t have sufficient governance in place. Farage made damn sure their feet didn’t touch the floor on the way out.

Meanwhile Ken Livingstone still hasn’t been kicked out of Labour.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Elliot said:

Never underestimate Jezza

Right about Iraq, Libya, PFI etc etc etc
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Ishmael_Z said:

Elliot said:

He was right when his Stop The War Coalition called for armed struggle against the UK?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,780
    Elliot said:

Not necessarily ("never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity"). @rottenborough" below posted a tweet on Corbyn's world view, which covers it quite nicely.

https://twitter.com/daverich1/status/985405910129537024

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

Peter Hitchens

Verified account

@ClarkeMicah
    Follow Follow @ClarkeMicah
    More
    Funny how little we hear about Jaish-al-Islam, the Islamist fanatics who were in control of Douma at the time of claims of a gas attack. For instance, Jaish-al-Islam were *themselves* accused of using gas in Aleppo against Kurds in 2016

Indeed; and they are just one of the groups. However Jaish-al-Islam don't have aircraft, and since these are aircraft-dropped weapons, it seems that this is a little off.

Its sad to see an intelligent person such as yourself scrambling through the sh*t looking for anything to protect your hero.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited April 2018

Ishmael_Z said:

Elliot said:

Right side of history some might say....
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Elliot said:

That is the problem - I do not underestimate his malign intention for our Country
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    The Tories join Labour in the gutter.

This is utterly shameful.

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/985558891479158784?s=21
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Except that No 10 say there will be opportunity at the heads of government meeting to discuss the issue?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Except that No 10 say there will be opportunity at the heads of government meeting to discuss the issue?
    I expect TM's diary is more than full this week and as she will no doubt be at the head of government meeting that is the opportunity to discuss it.

More exaggerated headlines
  • Options

No government with an ounce of decency would be doing what this one is doing.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/why-the-children-of-windrush-demand-an-immigration-amnesty
  • Options

Perhaps read your own link?

”Downing Street acknowledged that a request had been received from the Caribbean high commissioners and confirmed that a meeting had not been scheduled. Although the subject is not on the CHOGM agenda, officials said there would be “a number of opportunities” for the heads of delegations to meet the prime minister and discuss this “important issue”.”

In other words, the headline says ”refuses to discuss”, the text says ”offers opportunities to discuss'. What the significance of refusing a formal meeting is I have no idea, but the tweet you quote is simply misleading.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/why-the-children-of-windrush-demand-an-immigration-amnesty

Not long ago since you were describing them as the least worst alternative though.
  • Options

Not long ago since you were describing them as the least worst alternative though.

I never did that. One of the reasons the Labour leadership’s failure to tackle anti-Semitism and apologism for slaughter is so damaging is that it helps this abysmal government stay in power.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

”Downing Street acknowledged that a request had been received from the Caribbean high commissioners and confirmed that a meeting had not been scheduled. Although the subject is not on the CHOGM agenda, officials said there would be “a number of opportunities” for the heads of delegations to meet the prime minister and discuss this “important issue”.”

In other words, the headline says ”refuses to discuss”, the text says ”offers opportunities to discuss'. What the significance of refusing a formal meeting is I have no idea, but the tweet you quote is simply misleading.

If this government had an ounce of decency there would be nothing to discuss.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Whilst I think a lot needs to be done to resolve this Windrush problem, I am troubled by this from the Guardian piece:

Many people may not yet know that they could face problems, since the issue arises only when they apply for a pension, for example, or have some other new engagement with UK authorities, and papers are requested.

I didn't realise you had to apply to get the state pension. I assumed that you got your pension via your national insurance when you turn whatever age it now is.
  • Options

I never did that. One of the reasons the Labour leadership’s failure to tackle anti-Semitism and apologism for slaughter is so damaging is that it helps this abysmal government stay in power.

Quite correctly the word "amnesty" - although it appears in the URL - does not appear int eh article. Nobody needs an amnesty - they have ILR.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

Omnium said:

At least one of

You've not quoted correctly in that the last two are phrased the other way around.

Suppose you had a billion statements - what are the chances that someone would agree with one?

Also, unless I'm misreading the report the 65+ age group had 54% who agreed with no anti-semitic statements.

That's very far from endorsing any single anti-semitic view.

• Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 707
    tlg86 said:

Whilst I think a lot needs to be done to resolve this Windrush problem, I am troubled by this from the Guardian piece:

Many people may not yet know that they could face problems, since the issue arises only when they apply for a pension, for example, or have some other new engagement with UK authorities, and papers are requested.

I didn't realise you had to apply to get the state pension. I assumed that you got your pension via your national insurance when you turn whatever age it now is.

Yes, you have to claim it.
  • Options
    Despite the controversy over the attack in Syria the one thing it has done has got the World talking about it in the context of the joint UK, France and US mission and the widespread International support for the action.

UK, France and the US are drafting a UN resolution over Syria and the US is putting more sanctions on Russia tomorrow with indications TM is going to follow with financial sanctions on Russians in the UK.

We are at the table as a recognised global player but we have a leader of the opposition who is opposing his own Country and parroting the Kremlin line. Virtually every word Corbyn utters is quoted on Russia Today and in the morning star.

How did it come to this

And by the way, has anyone seen or heard from McDonnell in the last fortnight - it I did not know better he looks to be on manoeuvers
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

tlg86 said:

Has that changed recently? My dad says he just got his when he turn 65 in 2011.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

At least one of

You've not quoted correctly in that the last two are phrased the other way around.

Suppose you had a billion statements - what are the chances that someone would agree with one?

Also, unless I'm misreading the report the 65+ age group had 54% who agreed with no anti-semitic statements.

I'm right, see page 7 here

https://antisemitism.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Antisemitism-Barometer-2017.pdf

As for your latter point, I address that in the thread header, Before anyone accuses me saying older voters, Tories, and Leavers are all anti-semites it should be noted that a majority of those demographics didn’t agree with a single anti-semitic statement but a significant minority did.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    edited April 2018

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

At least one of

As for your latter point, I address that in the thread header, Before anyone accuses me saying older voters, Tories, and Leavers are all anti-semites it should be noted that a majority of those demographics didn’t agree with a single anti-semitic statement but a significant minority did.
    So agreeing with "6) “Jewish people can be trusted just as much as other British people in business.” means you're anti-semitic?

That was the question, but agreeing wasn't the criteria I'd suggest. Therefore your 'I'm right' may need a little revision.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    tlg86 said:

NeilVW said:

tlg86 said:

There appear to be exceptions, e.g. those in receipt of certain benefits prior to State Pension age:

https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/about-pensions/the-state-pension/claiming-state-pension
  • Options

Despite the controversy over the attack in Syria the one thing it has done has got the World talking about it in the context of the joint UK, France and US mission and the widespread International support for the action.

UK, France and the US are drafting a UN resolution over Syria and the US is putting more sanctions on Russia tomorrow with indications TM is going to follow with financial sanctions on Russians in the UK.

We are at the table as a recognised global player but we have a leader of the opposition who is opposing his own Country and parroting the Kremlin line. Virtually every word Corbyn utters is quoted on Russia Today and in the morning star.

How did it come to this

And by the way, has anyone seen or heard from McDonnell in the last fortnight - it I did not know better he looks to be on manoeuvers

We also have a government actively targeting for deportation people who came to the UK decades ago completely legally, have built their lives and families here, and who have paid taxes and national insurance all their working lives. I’m struggling to understand how that is pro-UK. How did it come to this?

• Options
    NeilVW said:

tlg86 said:

NeilVW said:

tlg86 said:

There appear to be exceptions, e.g. those in receipt of certain benefits prior to State Pension age:

https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/about-pensions/the-state-pension/claiming-state-pension
    Thanks. What I was getting at is that if you've been here 50+ years, you'd just give them your NI number and say "I've paid my tax/NI, pay up." But I have wondered if some of these people have not had NI numbers and have been working in the black economy all their lives. I remember hearing about such a case regarding someone from Ireland and the NHS refused to treat them.

But you'd think if these people have been here since kids, they should have found their way on to the relevant systems.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited April 2018
    Mr Eagles,

Many years ago, when I worked in the pharmaceutical industry, we had to elect trustees for our employee pension fund. We overwhelmingly elected a Jewish gentleman on the basis that he'd probably be good at looking after money (and so it proved).

Was that anti-Semitic? Should we have elected someone else to show our non-racist credentials?
  • Options

How did it come to this

We also have a government actively targeting for deportation people who came to the UK decades ago completely legally, have built their lives and families here, and who have paid taxes and national insurance all their working lives. I’m struggling to understand how that is pro-UK. How did it come to this?

That is unacceptable but hardly relevant to my comments
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Ishmael_Z said:

Elliot said:

Malign, not stupid.
  • Options

How did it come to this

Both main parties are operating in the gutter. Neither is serving the UK well.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Elliot said:

Malign, not stupid.
    Both
  • Options

How did it come to this

There is only one party with a malign anti UK, anti the west, pro Kremlin leader and it is not the conservative party
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Ishmael_Z said:

That's good, although frankly the government are currently looking very poor in this story so far.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Mr. Elliot, it's not like he used to visit the Eastern bloc on holiday or met with members of their security services.

Mr. Garner, ha. I doubt it. Corbyn's being pro-Russian and anti-British by choice. Remember when the drone strikes took our terrorists and he questioned the legality? Or when he questioned shoot to kill policies against terrorists on the streets?

I honestly wonder if there is any situation where Corbyn would consider the use of force acceptable? Has Corbyn been asked what the thinks Richard Osborn-Brooks should have done? Corbyn probably thinks that Mr. Osborn-Brooks should have sat down with the armed burgler, given him a cup of tea, and listened to the burgler explain why capitalism has driven him to crime and that therefore he is the real victim.
  • Options

How did it come to this

There is only one party with a malign anti UK, anti the west, pro Kremlin leader and it is not the conservative party

Yep - that is true. But, likewise, there is only one party leader actively pursuing a policy of deporting British citizens who came to the UK perfectly legally decades ago and have built their lives here.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I think it's amazing that so many London wards are straight Lab v Con battles in the local elections. Many of the wards in Redbridge, for example.

https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/voting-and-elections/local-elections-2018/
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Presumably you might have a majority if you narrowed it down to Tory and leave voting men over the age of 65.

In fairness some people probably are probably more ignorant or dull with their answers than actually anti-semitic. Also those that are anti-semitic are probably mostly mildly so rather than followers of Adolf, I imagine many of them are a bit prejudiced without really thinking of themselves as such.

The question about being friends with a Jewish person probably marks out the clearest anti-semites, those who are openly proud of it rather than having any excuse about ignorance or mild prejudices.

As to Nick Griffin if we are to take him at his word he is possibly voting Labour because of foreign policy, if we don't take him at his word then we have no proof he is possibly voting Labour. If it was because of the anti-semitism stuff then presumably he would have already shown his support as it has come up in 2015 and 2016 and we then had a general election in 2017.

The main problem with it being a vote winner, is Labour don't really play up to the anti semitism and those that do hold anti semitic views will often hold other prejudices that don't really work well with voting for Labour.

If we take a Nick Griffin type for example whilst they might like it if they see Labour as anti-semitic they would still hate what they see as our love for Islam or Muslims or something similar. The main group we could attract would presumably be racist Muslims, which presumably is a market we have sown up anyway and a group that was pretty solid for Labour before Corbyn as well
  • Options

How did it come to this

Yep - that is true. But, likewise, there is only one party leader actively pursuing a policy of deporting British citizens who came to the UK perfectly legally decades ago and have built their lives here.

That is just wrong and must be addressed. TM has a lot on her plate but I hope she will address it quickly
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

D

How did it come to this

The answer to your question is it came to this by a totally blinkered, obsessive drive to reduce net migration, mixed in with a total lack of empathy and understanding on the part of the Conservative party for ordinary working people on low incomes, who actually comprise a sizeable proportion of this country.

For this the ultimate punishment will be a Labour government.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

How did it come to this

That is just wrong and must be addressed. TM has a lot on her plate but I hope she will address it quickly
    I think this will turn out to be mostly her idea, while she was in the Home office for 6 years.

...and how can it be addressed exactly? It has arisen from new requirements to prove your nationality to access basic services, and many poor people are not able to do that. They don't have a hope in hell of doing so. Even if they can by some miracle get documents proving that they have been here continuously since 1973 (which is what they need to do), they still need to find the £229 to apply for the biometric permit by post.

My Grandad was an immigrant and never had a passport.

This is just a bureaucratic disaster. If you have an 'amnesty' the people who will benefit are just liars and fraudsters.

• Options
    nielh said:

D

How did it come to this

The answer to your question is it came to this by a totally blinkered, obsessive drive to reduce net migration, mixed in with a total lack of empathy and understanding on the part of the Conservative party for ordinary working people on low incomes, who actually comprise a sizeable proportion of this country.

For this the ultimate punishment will be a Labour government.
    Not under Corbyn and his cabal - otherwise yes
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Presumably you might have a majority if you narrowed it down to Tory and leave voting men over the age of 65.

In fairness some people probably are probably more ignorant or dull with their answers than actually anti-semitic. Also those that are anti-semitic are probably mostly mildly so rather than followers of Adolf, I imagine many of them are a bit prejudiced without really thinking of themselves as such.

The question about being friends with a Jewish person probably marks out the clearest anti-semites, those who are openly proud of it rather than having any excuse about ignorance or mild prejudices.

As to Nick Griffin if we are to take him at his word he is possibly voting Labour because of foreign policy, if we don't take him at his word then we have no proof he is possibly voting Labour. If it was because of the anti-semitism stuff then presumably he would have already shown his support as it has come up in 2015 and 2016 and we then had a general election in 2017.

The main problem with it being a vote winner, is Labour don't really play up to the anti semitism and those that do hold anti semitic views will often hold other prejudices that don't really work well with voting for Labour.

If we take a Nick Griffin type for example whilst they might like it if they see Labour as anti-semitic they would still hate what they see as our love for Islam or Muslims or something similar. The main group we could attract would presumably be racist Muslims, which presumably is a market we have sown up anyway and a group that was pretty solid for Labour before Corbyn as well
    just highlighting that for anyone else who can't believe their eyes. he really said that.

• Options
    nielh said:

How did it come to this

I think this will turn out to be mostly her idea, while she was in the Home office for 6 years.
    Well it needs dealing with and with compassion
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

just highlighting that for anyone else who can't believe their eyes. he really said that.

Somewhat tongue-in-cheek, one assumes....
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I would hope so
  • Options
    JackW said:
    Let's face it, a man who thought it was a good idea to quote Neil Kinnock in is last presidential run shouldn't stand again
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited April 2018
    Apparently the new series of "The Antiques Roadshow" just starting on BBC1 will feature one of the highest valuations ever. My money is one of the following :

1. A Union Flag cod piece worn by SeanT
    2. A rare pineapple pizza from Sheffield Hallam
    3. A strand of OGH's hair.

Drum roll ....

• Options
    NeilVW said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Not seen any evidence he does tongue in cheek.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,297
    edited April 2018
    JackW said:

Apparently the new series of "The Antiques Roadshow" just starting on BBC1 will feature one of the highest valuations ever. My money is one of the following :

1. A Union Flag cod piece worn by SeanT
    2. A rare pineapple pizza from Sheffield Hallam
    3. A strand of OGH's hair.

Drum roll ....

4. Corbyn's Gold Star medal personally bestowed on him by Putin
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Omnium said:

Is your problem that you disagree with that part being factual?

Labour has had a large Muslim vote for a while, haven't checked anytime recently but I'm pretty sure we had a large majority among Muslims in 2015 and I've seen something recently that suggested we did in 2017. If you Muslim and racist your vote will largely be going the same way presumably.

As another example if we were to talk about racist Jewish people the answer would be largely the same except for voting Conservative in 2015 and 2017.

Or is the problem that I secretly meant Labour should be racist to Jewish people by what I said in the highlighted bit?

Because that would make you illiterate.
  • Options
    Wow. For anyone who hasn't read the guardian articles on this subject, read the excerpt below.

"The 60-year-old has spent a total of three weeks in immigration removal centres over the past two years, despite having lived in the UK for more than half a century. He worked as a painter and decorator and paid taxes for more than 40 years, and helped to bring up his children and grandchildren in London. He lost his job when Capita wrote to him informing him he had no right to be in the UK, adding that his employer could face a £10,000 fine if it continued to employ him as an “illegal worker”. Last November, police and immigration officials arrived early on a Sunday morning at his home with a battering ram; a plane ticket was booked to take him to Jamaica, the country he left when he was eight and to which he has not returned in the past 52 years. He travelled to the UK on his older brother’s passport in 1965, and had no documents of his own to prove status, so struggled to convince officials he was here legally. After coverage of his plight in the Guardian, officials have acknowledged he is here legally, but he is still waiting to be issued with a biometric card. He has spent more than £3,000 on legal bills and application fees. He has had no apology from the Home Office."

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,632
    edited April 2018
    nielh said:

We also have a government actively

...and how can it be addressed exactly? It has arisen from new requirements to prove your nationality to access basic services, and many poor people are not able to do that. They don't have a hope in hell of doing so. Even if they can by some miracle get documents proving that they have been here continuously since 1973 (which is what they need to do), they still need to find the £229 to apply for the biometric permit by post.

This is just a bureaucratic disaster. If you have an 'amnesty' the people who will benefit are just liars and fraudsters.

My grandparents arrived in Britain in the 1930s without passports as they didn't need them for travel within the Empire (they even had a quick visit to Cairo on the way without), though both later had passports.

This is what results from May's "Hostile Environment" policy towards immigrants. Malicious and far worse than most of the reprehensible attitudes in the header.
  • Options
    nielh said:

Wow. For anyone who hasn't read the guardian articles on this subject, read the excerpt below.

"The 60-year-old has spent a total of three weeks in immigration removal centres over the past two years, despite having lived in the UK for more than half a century. He worked as a painter and decorator and paid taxes for more than 40 years, and helped to bring up his children and grandchildren in London. He lost his job when Capita wrote to him informing him he had no right to be in the UK, adding that his employer could face a £10,000 fine if it continued to employ him as an “illegal worker”. Last November, police and immigration officials arrived early on a Sunday morning at his home with a battering ram; a plane ticket was booked to take him to Jamaica, the country he left when he was eight and to which he has not returned in the past 52 years. He travelled to the UK on his older brother’s passport in 1965, and had no documents of his own to prove status, so struggled to convince officials he was here legally. After coverage of his plight in the Guardian, officials have acknowledged he is here legally, but he is still waiting to be issued with a biometric card. He has spent more than £3,000 on legal bills and application fees. He has had no apology from the Home Office."

Not only is it terrible for him, it shows a complete lack of common sense. He isn't high risk at all.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Looks like male Leave voting pensioners are the most likely to hold anti semitic views.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Former First Lady Barbara Bush seriously ill with lung disease and heart failure at 92 and has refused more treatment to return home to be with her family
    www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5618549/Former-lady-Barbara-Bush-seriously-ill-refusing-medical-treatment.html
  • Options

Labour has had a large Muslim vote for a while, haven't checked anytime recently but I'm pretty sure we had a large majority among Muslims in 2015 and I've seen something recently that suggested we did in 2017. If you Muslim and racist your vote will largely be going the same way presumably.

As another example if we were to talk about racist Jewish people the answer would be largely the same except for voting Conservative in 2015 and 2017.

Or is the problem that I secretly meant Labour should be racist to Jewish people by what I said in the highlighted bit?

No, to misconstrue a written statement I'd necessarily have to be literate, you numpty. And I think the easiest strategy to deal with someone who states with satisfaction that they have the x racist vote sewn up, is classify them as stupid and nasty and move on.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

nielh said:

Despite

We also have a government actively

My grandparents arrived in Britain in the 1930s without passports as they didn't need them for travel within the Empire (they even had a quick visit to Cairo on the way without), though both later had passports.

This is what results from May's "Hostile Environment" policy towards immigrants. Malicious and far worse than most of the reprehensible attitudes in the header.
    I suppose for many people it was never an issue. I guess for most of the last 50 years you could get a few references together and apply for a passport from your local post office.

They need to think this one through a bit more, urgently. This is not most peoples idea of what Britain is.

• Options
    nielh said:

Capita aren't the most reputable of firms, but I can't believe they are paying cash in hand. Reading around this a bit more it seems to me that most of these people are very much on government systems.

It's already got over the 100k mark, but I've signed the petition:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/216539
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

I’ve been reading an increasing number of stories about this for some weeks now. First one I saw was the story of Paulette Wilson. The whole thing is utterly descipable. For some reason I thought better of TMay. She has the nerve to appear in that Stephen Lawrence documentary coming on BBC this week while pursuing this policy. I also thought better of Amber Rudd. But I’ve learned my lesson.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    AndyJS said:

I think it's amazing that so many London wards are straight Lab v Con battles in the local elections. Many of the wards in Redbridge, for example.

https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/voting-and-elections/local-elections-2018/

In the 1950s that was very much the norm for Parliamentary elections - and remained very common as late as 1970!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

No, to misconstrue a written statement I'd necessarily have to be literate, you numpty. And I think the easiest strategy to deal with someone who states with satisfaction that they have the x racist vote sewn up, is classify them as stupid and nasty and move on.
    Whilst I might go with barely literate I think the truth is you are seeing what you want for your own propaganda purposes. As I'm pretty sure your the poster who tried to make out I was anti-semitic before I'll just write you off as the mouthy little daily mail type you seem to be.
This discussion has been closed.