Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s the potential for Labour to get a long term polling bo

Comments

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Wow. For anyone who hasn't read the guardian articles on this subject, read the excerpt below.

"The 60-year-old has spent a total of three weeks in immigration removal centres over the past two years, despite having lived in the UK for more than half a century. He worked as a painter and decorator and paid taxes for more than 40 years, and helped to bring up his children and grandchildren in London. He lost his job when Capita wrote to him informing him he had no right to be in the UK, adding that his employer could face a £10,000 fine if it continued to employ him as an “illegal worker”. Last November, police and immigration officials arrived early on a Sunday morning at his home with a battering ram; a plane ticket was booked to take him to Jamaica, the country he left when he was eight and to which he has not returned in the past 52 years. He travelled to the UK on his older brother’s passport in 1965, and had no documents of his own to prove status, so struggled to convince officials he was here legally. After coverage of his plight in the Guardian, officials have acknowledged he is here legally, but he is still waiting to be issued with a biometric card. He has spent more than £3,000 on legal bills and application fees. He has had no apology from the Home Office."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/why-the-children-of-windrush-demand-an-immigration-amnesty

Capita aren't the most reputable of firms, but I can't believe they are paying cash in hand. Reading around this a bit more it seems to me that most of these people are very much on government systems.

It's already got over the 100k mark, but I've signed the petition:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/216539

The highest 'heat spots' on the associated map of where people have signed is: Central London (of course) plus Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol, and Brighton.

• Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Wow. For anyone who hasn't read the guardian articles on this subject, read the excerpt below.

"The 60-year-old has spent a total of three weeks in immigration removal centres over the past two years, despite having lived in the UK for more than half a century. He worked as a painter and decorator and paid taxes for more than 40 years, and helped to bring up his children and grandchildren in London. He lost his job when Capita wrote to him informing him he had no right to be in the UK, adding that his employer could face a £10,000 fine if it continued to employ him as an “illegal worker”. Last November, police and immigration officials arrived early on a Sunday morning at his home with a battering ram; a plane ticket was booked to take him to Jamaica, the country he left when he was eight and to which he has not returned in the past 52 years. He travelled to the UK on his older brother’s passport in 1965, and had no documents of his own to prove status, so struggled to convince officials he was here legally. After coverage of his plight in the Guardian, officials have acknowledged he is here legally, but he is still waiting to be issued with a biometric card. He has spent more than £3,000 on legal bills and application fees. He has had no apology from the Home Office."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/why-the-children-of-windrush-demand-an-immigration-amnesty

Capita aren't the most reputable of firms, but I can't believe they are paying cash in hand. Reading around this a bit more it seems to me that most of these people are very much on government systems.

I think the govt are subcontracting the enforcement out to capita. They are probably being paid per person deported.
    I've not signed the petition, but I am a supporter of the guardian and might actually increase my monthly donation having read these articles.
    It is pretty pathetic, but it is all I can do to try and help these people.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532
    tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Many of the people worked for NHS, councils or other arms of government, not dodgy subterranean jobs.

What a fitting way to mark the 50th Anniversary of Enochs notorious speech.

• Options

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

The highest 'heat spots' on the associated map of where people have signed is: Central London (of course) plus Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol, and Brighton.

Beacons of enlightenment in a darkened world.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    nielh said:

It's absolutely disgraceful from the Home Office. People who have lived here their whole lives and played by the rules deserve much better than this.

Genuinely, this is the kind of stuff that gives the Tories a very bad reputation among settled migrants. There is absolutely no need to be hostile but it seems the Home Office go out of their way to do this.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

I think it's amazing that so many London wards are straight Lab v Con battles in the local elections. Many of the wards in Redbridge, for example.

https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/voting-and-elections/local-elections-2018/

In the 1950s that was very much the norm for Parliamentary elections - and remained very common as late as 1970!
    Liberals stood in only 332 seatsin1970, so many English seats only had 2 candidates
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Many of the people worked for NHS, councils or other arms of government, not dodgy subterranean jobs.

+1. My grandma is not apart of the generation now being treated this way - she was born in the 30s and came here in the 50s - but for most of her working life she did home help.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

That thread you linked to said Powell was actually an instigator of recruiting migrant workers.

What I don't understand is why this has not had a more coverage. It seems a bit like the Gurka issue.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    Notwithstanding that there’s often key details missing from these Guardian reports, the Home Office certainly appear to be targeting low hanging fruit rather than starting by deporting criminals. The Home Secretary appears scared to do anything in case it upsets the previous incumbent, who’s now her boss. Clearly anyone with an NI number and a history of paying tax shouldn’t be treated so badly.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    MaxPB said:

nielh said:

It's absolutely disgraceful from the Home Office. People who have lived here their whole lives and played by the rules deserve much better than this.

Genuinely, this is the kind of stuff that gives the Tories a very bad reputation among settled migrants. There is absolutely no need to be hostile but it seems the Home Office go out of their way to do this.

The gov (all of them) are just reacting to the anti-immigrant feeling that increased when more EU nationals flocked in. Since they couldn't do anything about the EU, they made it harsh any other way they can.

Despicable, certainly. But that's human nature.

• Options

MaxPB said:

nielh said:

The gov (all of them) are just reacting to the anti-immigrant feeling that increased when more EU nationals flocked in. Since they couldn't do anything about the EU, they made it harsh any other way they can.

It's the wrong policy for the post brexit era though, and it seems like they are very much stuck with it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Is your problem that you disagree with that part being factual?

Labour has had a large Muslim vote for a while, haven't checked anytime recently but I'm pretty sure we had a large majority among Muslims in 2015 and I've seen something recently that suggested we did in 2017. If you Muslim and racist your vote will largely be going the same way presumably.

As another example if we were to talk about racist Jewish people the answer would be largely the same except for voting Conservative in 2015 and 2017.

Or is the problem that I secretly meant Labour should be racist to Jewish people by what I said in the highlighted bit?

Because that would make you illiterate.

No, to misconstrue a written statement I'd necessarily have to be literate, you numpty. And I think the easiest strategy to deal with someone who states with satisfaction that they have the x racist vote sewn up, is classify them as stupid and nasty and move on.
    Whilst I might go with barely literate I think the truth is you are seeing what you want for your own propaganda purposes. As I'm pretty sure your the poster who tried to make out I was anti-semitic before I'll just write you off as the mouthy little daily mail type you seem to be.
    You are certainly very happy in the company of anti semites, anyway, so stupid and nasty seems to cover it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

nielh said:

This is just stupid though, these people have a long history of life in the UK and are being threatened with deportation for no reason. I don't understand what it even achieves, it's going to be hundreds (maybe even tens) of people per year on the migration statistics.

There is just absolutely no reason to treat people who have lived here for more than 40 years in this way. It is wrong and the government needs to change whatever rules of approach it takes or it will cause a lot of hurt.
  • Options
    BoothmanBoothman Posts: 13
    nielh said:

MaxPB said:

nielh said:

It's the wrong policy for the post brexit era though, and it seems like they are very much stuck with it.
    Anyone who's had to deal with the Home Office on visa/citizenship issued will not be surprised at their absolute bastardry.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited April 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Labour has had a large Muslim vote for a while, haven't checked anytime recently but I'm pretty sure we had a large majority among Muslims in 2015 and I've seen something recently that suggested we did in 2017. If you Muslim and racist your vote will largely be going the same way presumably.

As another example if we were to talk about racist Jewish people the answer would be largely the same except for voting Conservative in 2015 and 2017.

Or is the problem that I secretly meant Labour should be racist to Jewish people by what I said in the highlighted bit?

No, to misconstrue a written statement I'd necessarily have to be literate, you numpty. And I think the easiest strategy to deal with someone who states with satisfaction that they have the x racist vote sewn up, is classify them as stupid and nasty and move on.
    Whilst I might go with barely literate I think the truth is you are seeing what you want for your own propaganda purposes. As I'm pretty sure your the poster who tried to make out I was anti-semitic before I'll just write you off as the mouthy little daily mail type you seem to be.
    You are certainly very happy in the company of anti semites, anyway, so stupid and nasty seems to cover it.
    So do you have a quote to back up the idea I'm very happy in the company of anti-semites?

Surely if I was I'd join you in voting Conservative, I'd also advocate leaving the EU.

Or are you just throwing some bland propaganda at me because you aren't bright enough to come up with anything else?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    WARNING!

WARNING!

This is a warning!!!

Do not look at this Tweet. The image can NOT be unseen. Mind bleach is not available. Years of therapy might be necessary.

twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/985438596189519872

You have been WARNED!!!!!
  • Options

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

+1. My grandma is not apart of the generation now being treated this way - she was born in the 30s and came here in the 50s - but for most of her working life she did home help.
    Glad to hear she won't get targeted. I hope the government are suitably embarrassed by this and reverse whatever idiotic rules Theresa put in place. I'm genuinely incensed by this.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Glad to hear she won't get targeted. I hope the government are suitably embarrassed by this and reverse whatever idiotic rules Theresa put in place. I'm genuinely incensed by this.
    One of the things which I’ve been relieved to see is the way people across the political spectrum are outraged by what’s happening - from David Lammy to Andrew Neil. Hopefully the pressure from both left and right will lead to the government stopping all this.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

It looks like mindless bureaucracy out of control.

Now if they really wanted to find illegal immigrants then visiting a few hand carwashes would be more effective.
  • Options

The Tories join Labour in the gutter.

This is utterly shameful.

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/985558891479158784?s=21

I’ve been reading an increasing number of stories about this for some weeks now. First one I saw was the story of Paulette Wilson. The whole thing is utterly descipable. For some reason I thought better of TMay. She has the nerve to appear in that Stephen Lawrence documentary coming on BBC this week while pursuing this policy. I also thought better of Amber Rudd. But I’ve learned my lesson.
    I agree. If there was any justice in the world, the people involved in this would be hounded out of public office.

They might not care, but this stuff creates a serious image problem for the conservatives, amongst young voters.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

So do you have a quote to back up the idea I'm very happy in the company of anti-semites?

Surely if I was I'd join you in voting Conservative, I'd also advocate leaving the EU.

Or are you just throwing some bland propaganda at me because you aren't bright enough to come up with anything else?
    Christ on a bike. Half an hour ago you stated with satisfaction that your party had the racist Muslim vote sewn up. Which race do you think racist Muslims are most likely to be racist about?

I made a resolution for 2018 not to call anyone a moron on the internet, luckily for you, but I don't know how long I am going to be able to hold out.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Christ on a bike. Half an hour ago you stated with satisfaction that your party had the racist Muslim vote sewn up. Which race do you think racist Muslims are most likely to be racist about?

I made a resolution for 2018 not to call anyone a moron on the internet, luckily for you, but I don't know how long I am going to be able to hold out.
    Because I used the satisfaction smiley? or because I specifically said I was satisfied?

To save you the time of looking back I'll point out I didn't. Too much Daily Mail is bad for you, save your resolution, log off the internet and say it into a mirror instead.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

It looks like mindless bureaucracy out of control.

Now if they really wanted to find illegal immigrants then visiting a few hand carwashes would be more effective.

Just walk down Tottenham Court Road at peak time, I did that about a month ago for a meeting I had in the area, every 10 metres there was a "beggar" that should not be in the UK. At least in Switzerland they do work very hard to deport these "beggars" back to Romania and Albania.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited April 2018
    Scott_P said:

WARNING!

WARNING!

This is a warning!!!

Do not look at this Tweet. The image can NOT be unseen. Mind bleach is not available. Years of therapy might be necessary.

snip

You have been WARNED!!!!!

It's a pineapple pizza, isn't it?

(Edited: I didn't actually click on the link, so I apologise in advanced if this is insensitive!)
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

I’ve been reading an increasing number of stories about this for some weeks now. First one I saw was the story of Paulette Wilson. The whole thing is utterly descipable. For some reason I thought better of TMay. She has the nerve to appear in that Stephen Lawrence documentary coming on BBC this week while pursuing this policy. I also thought better of Amber Rudd. But I’ve learned my lesson.
    Totally par for the course I'm afraid. You shouldn't be surprised about this when decisions are made by the likes of Caroline Nokes, Amber Rudd and Theresa May.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Because I used the satisfaction smiley? or because I specifically said I was satisfied?

To save you the time of looking back I'll point out I didn't. Too much Daily Mail is bad for you, save your resolution, log off the internet and say it into a mirror instead.
    You are happy with the support of antisemites. You are an antisemite. The end.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    hunchman said:

Totally par for the course I'm afraid. You shouldn't be surprised about this when decisions are made by the likes of Caroline Nokes, Amber Rudd and Theresa May.
    Do any of these people being deported live on Finchley Road?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    nielh said:

I agree. If there was any justice in the world, the people involved in this would be hounded out of public office.

They might not care, but this stuff creates a serious image problem for the conservatives, amongst young voters.
    It is despicable - and the rules requiring those trying to demonstrate right of residence to provide documentation without any gaps seem almost designed to hit hardest those who have been here longest.
    How many of us have paperwork which unequivocally shows unbroken residence in the UK going back decades ?
    Add to that the ability of the Home Office to lose paperwork and/or fail to follow their own rules, and it can become a nightmare for those who genuinely have a right to remain.

Then there is the backlog of appeals, running in to the tens of thousands, which can leave those who eventually win their appeals having to wait for two or three years without access to health or education services - or the right to work.

And quite a bit of this is May’s direct legacy.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RobD said:

It's a pineapple pizza, isn't it?

(Edited: I didn't actually click on the link, so I apologise in advanced if this is insensitive!)

It is SOOOOOOOO much worse than that
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

One of the things which I’ve been relieved to see is the way people across the political spectrum are outraged by what’s happening - from David Lammy to Andrew Neil. Hopefully the pressure from both left and right will lead to the government stopping all this.
    I want it dealing with immediately. It is not acceptable
  • Options
    nielh said:

Not just the young. I find it completely out of order
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    I think that this citizenship issue is symptomatic of the lower ranks in the public sector not being allowed to use their discretion and initiative. Idiotic decisions (police and CPS anyone?) are made by blindly following over detailed rules until the press get hold of it and someone with authority steps in with a panicked correction.

My pet theory is that (ironically) the main cause is politicians have become over-legalistic in approach as have campaigners. I'm not sure what can be done about it, lawyers are hovering over every process of public administration like vultures.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Just a bit longer maybe. Jezziah is most definitely not racist or anti Semitic
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

hunchman said:

Do any of these people being deported live on Finchley Road?
    Finchley Road is the past as I've said here before. Go along that road and have a look at the ripped up plaques off the wall of the most infamous address along that road with dishevelled blinds in the background, together with a shabbily written notice as to where they have now moved to in North Finchley. The said property has been on the market for commercially rented properties since late February last year, with no tenant yet. With the history that that address has, it is absolutely no surprise that nobody wishes to rent that building ..... and its way overpriced with an annual rent of £70k to boot.

I would like to think that the group that I belong to has had something to do with this, but I have no direct evidence of that. We're trying to help everyone so that the cancer of fraud, theft and money laundering which has so ravaged every part of British public life is put a stop to.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited April 2018
    hunchman said:

I agree with you and it is upto Amber Rudd to deal with it urgently
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

"The 60-year-old has spent a

There are some useful action points at the end of this article, which does discuss the law quite well.

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/why-caribbean-commonwealth-citizens-are-being-denied-immigration-status/
  • Options

hunchman said:

Don't get me started on Amber Augusta Rudd, or her brother Roland Dacre Rudd for that matter. In an ideal world they would be nowhere near the levers of power.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

There are some useful action points at the end of this article, which does discuss the law quite well.

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/why-caribbean-commonwealth-citizens-are-being-denied-immigration-status/
    It does astonish me how Amber Rudd cannot see how wrong it is. She needs to deal with it
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Don't get me started on Amber Augusta Rudd, or her brother Roland Dacre Rudd for that matter. In an ideal world they would be nowhere near the levers of power.
    I think that is true of many including Putin's little helpers as represented by comrade Corbyn and his cabal
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

It does astonish me how Amber Rudd cannot see how wrong it is. She needs to deal with it
    Theresa May originated the policy.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    Only just coming to this thread. If the assumption in this header turns out to be true, what a shameful reflection on Britain.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

It needs to be put right no matter who instigated the policy

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The lessons of the Brexit referendum campaign are being absorbed.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Look at the past business career of Amber Augusta Rudd, and you'll see her for what she truly is. She is an opportunist with not a care in the world or any empathy for the well being of the ordinary person.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Look at the past business career of Amber Augusta Rudd, and you'll see her for what she truly is. She is an opportunist with not a care in the world or any empathy for the well being of the ordinary person.
    You do not have an independent view or judgement. You have your own conspiracy agenda
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Only just coming to this thread. If the assumption in this header turns out to be true, what a shameful reflection on Britain.

It is, but while prejudicial, the sentiments expressed were a long way short of pogrom or Nurenberg laws.

It would be illuminating to see if the same predjudices were felt against other groups, such as Muslims, East Europeans, Scots or Privately educated, with appropriately adjusted questions.

• Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Because she has no empathy?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

You are happy with the support of antisemites. You are an antisemite. The end.
    Okay I'm getting the feeling you are deliberately doing this now, but do you have proof of that?

With what I actually wrote/typed/posted not what your vivid imagination told you I meant by it.
  • Options

This is a pre Brexit problem. It is rooted in the blinkered obsession with reducing net migration, and cuts in legal aid, all of which part of Cameron/Osborne/May/Rudd's agenda, all of whom were Remainers.

It is the wrong policy for the post Brexit era, because the problem of net migration has been potentially been solved by the decision to leave the EU.
  • Options

The xenophobic lies are coming from London Labour Remain MPs:

' Drug gangs controlled by Eastern European criminals are fuelling the rising tide of violent crime in London, a Labour MP has claimed. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43653291
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Labour? A proud tradition of opposing racism and bigotry? Tell that to the Kenyan Asians.
  • Options
    nielh said:

This is a pre Brexit problem. It is rooted in the blinkered obsession with reducing net migration, and cuts in legal aid, all of which part of Cameron/Osborne/May/Rudd's agenda, all of whom were Remainers.

It is the wrong policy for the post Brexit era, because the problem of net migration has been potentially been solved by the decision to leave the EU.
    Indeed.

There were cases like this in 2014:

' An A-level student has been deported to Mauritius after a last ditch legal challenge to keep her in the UK failed on Wednesday night. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-26864479/student-yashika-bageerathi-is-deported-to-mauritius
  • Options

Not everything is to do with Brexit. At least in the real world rather than in your head.
  • Options
    PlankPlank Posts: 71

TSE confirming his reputation on PB. And not in a good way.

Another term for a "basic bridge" might be a plank....
    Leave me out of it.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

I think that this citizenship issue is symptomatic of the lower ranks in the public sector not being allowed to use their discretion and initiative. Idiotic decisions (police and CPS anyone?) are made by blindly following over detailed rules until the press get hold of it and someone with authority steps in with a panicked correction.

My pet theory is that (ironically) the main cause is politicians have become over-legalistic in approach as have campaigners. I'm not sure what can be done about it, lawyers are hovering over every process of public administration like vultures.

This accords with my brief experience of working for the then Inland Revenue in Self Assessment. Bend the rules and you lose your job, even if it is maddeningly stupid.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    MaxPB said:

Not everything is to do with Brexit. At least in the real world rather than in your head.
    This is not a bureaucratic bungle. This is conscious policy.

Brexit taught the political classes that pandering to xenophobia works. The government is drawing up its immigration policy accordingly.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Very useful background, thanks. Obviously the Home Secretary has dropped the ball here, people affected need to be writing to their MP and making sure the Home Office understands the problem.
  • Options
    Teresa May to table a motion in support of the joint mission over Syria

Good tactic and labour complaining tonight for some reason
  • Options

MaxPB said:

This is not a bureaucratic bungle. This is conscious policy.

Brexit taught the political classes that pandering to xenophobia works. The government is drawing up its immigration policy accordingly.
    The issue predates the referendum.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

The examples quoted in the Guardian article are shameful. I can't believe that May, Rudd & co seek to defend this - hopefully the government will move fast to put the situation right. I am encouraged by the fact that PBers from across the political spectrum recognise the injustice here. I have signed the petition, which is a rarity for me, but this really does need resolving quickly.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Very useful background, thanks. Obviously the Home Secretary has dropped the ball here, people affected need to be writing to their MP and making sure the Home Office understands the problem.
    I don't think that anyone has dropped the ball. It is more a case that the truth has been exposed.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    nielh said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

I don't think that anyone has dropped the ball. It is more a case that the truth has been exposed.
    It’s typical of the sort of thing that happens when any organisation, in this case a government department, gets consumed by its own bureaucracy and doesn’t empower the people on the ground to make sensible decisions.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_lu1xyYx3Eo
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

The examples quoted in the Guardian article are shameful. I can't believe that May, Rudd & co seek to defend this - hopefully the government will move fast to put the situation right. I am encouraged by the fact that PBers from across the political spectrum recognise the injustice here. I have signed the petition, which is a rarity for me, but this really does need resolving quickly.

I have signed it as well Ben
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

I have also written to my MP (Simon Hoare) for the first time ever - that'll shock him! To be fair there probably aren't many of his North Dorset constituents directly imapacted by this but imo it goes to the core of what kind of country we want Britain to be.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

I think it's amazing that so many London wards are straight Lab v Con battles in the local elections. Many of the wards in Redbridge, for example.

https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/voting-and-elections/local-elections-2018/

In the 1950s that was very much the norm for Parliamentary elections - and remained very common as late as 1970!
    That's true. The LDs seem to have completely disappeared in many parts of the capital.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    TGOHF: 75 Tory losses doesn't seem all that bad for the Blues. I assume they're forecast to pick up quite a few UKIP seats outside the big cities.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Yep - this is a direct consequence of Home Secretary Theresa May deciding to chase positive headlines in the right-wing press by being deeply unpleasant to immigrants. It’s now got to the stage where British citizens who came to the UK legally and have lived here for decades are being targeted for deportation. What a proud achievement, eh?

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049

Many congratulations to Manchester City. - Exceptional team - wonderful season

From a lifelong Manchester United supporter

Comrade.......after Roger (of course) you are my favourite poster on pbCom, even slightly ahead of JackW whom I adore......

CoC....and all that......

• Options
    I'd be interested to know how Rallings/Thrasher calculate the projected national shares. Do they have a list of key wards from which they make the projection? Or is it arrived at by using data from all the results?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

I have also written to my MP (Simon Hoare) for the first time ever - that'll shock him! To be fair there probably aren't many of his North Dorset constituents directly imapacted by this but imo it goes to the core of what kind of country we want Britain to be.
    Good on you Ben
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    TGOHF said:
    Right or wrong, we can be sure of one thing - party leaders will react in overblown fashion to local election results.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    tyson said:

Comrade.......after Roger (of course) you are my favourite poster on pbCom, even slightly ahead of JackW whom I adore......

More like Cuck..

Modern football has been ruined by this politeness towards rivals. It stinks.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Yep - this is a direct consequence of Home Secretary Theresa May deciding to chase positive headlines in the right-wing press by being deeply unpleasant to immigrants. It’s now got to the stage where British citizens who came to the UK legally and have lived here for decades are being targeted for deportation. What a proud achievement, eh?

This is exactly the reason why we were told to move back to the UK to start the citizenship process for my wife. Unless you have guaranteed status you never know, and not having that big of paper makes all the difference.

• Options
    tyson said:

Wow - thanks Tyson - I feel quite embarrassed but I do try to be fair
  • Options
    Looking through the petitions on the parliament site, this is an odd one:

Let all UK citizens vote on who is mayor of London not just Londoners.

London being the capital city, all uk citizens should have a say who becomes mayor.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/205912

• Options
    TGOHF said:

tyson said:

More like Cuck..

Modern football has been ruined by this politeness towards rivals. It stinks.
    Why - my Farther being a Mancunian supported both United and City. He said it was good for the City to cheer on both.

I did not go that far but credit where it is due. And no one is near United's 13 premier titles
  • Options
    This one's good too:

Make it illegal for any MP to lie in parliament or knowingly deceive the public.

Repeal Parliamentary Privilege and reform Contempt of Parliament to make it illegal for MPs to lie or knowingly deceive the public in the execution of their duties. This must include campaigning and all statements made in Parliament or the media. Breach of this condition must trigger a by-election.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/203502

Still waiting on a government response, unfortunately.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

nielh said:

Glad to hear she won't getnuinely incensed by this.
    One ofLammy to Andrew Neil. Hopefully the pressure from both left and right will lead to the government stopping all this.

This is exactly the reason why we were told to move back to the UK to start the citizenship process for my wife. Unless you have guaranteed status you never know, and not having that big of paper makes all the difference.

It also explains why the EU27 have zero confidence in UK government assurances about EU citizens’ rights in the UK post-Brexit.

• Options

tyson said:

You remind me of my dad..he was old Labour, principled, hated Blair and I always argued with him about animal rights as a kid...although he never shouted at me once in his life. You are a Tory and he was Labour...but he and you were both forged from something exceptionally decent........

Anyway I’m off to watch the match again on catch up..

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Quite interesting these petitions - I don't even recall this, from the government response to another:

The Government’s principle is clear: participation in our democracy is a fundamental part of being British, no matter how far you have travelled. The Government remains committed to scrapping the 15 year limit on the voting rights of overseas electors ahead of the next scheduled General Election in 2022, subject to securing the necessary Parliamentary approval.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200005?reveal_response=yes#response-threshold
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Quite interesting these petitions - I don't even recall this, from the government response to another:

The Government’s principle is clear: participation in our democracy is a fundamental part of being British, no matter how far you have travelled. The Government remains committed to scrapping the 15 year limit on the voting rights of overseas electors ahead of the next scheduled General Election in 2022, subject to securing the necessary Parliamentary approval.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200005?reveal_response=yes#response-threshold

That one was in the Tory manifesto.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Shame on me, as I read the damn thing but didn't recall that one.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Shame on me, as I read the damn thing but didn't recall that one.
    You must eat one hundred pineapple pizzas as a penance.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I don't know about anyone else. but I spent this afternoon basically naked in an authentic and extremely muddy sweat lodge near Chingford with my anarcho-Corbynite 22 year old wife and about 30 neo-hippies playing the Pan-pipes, chanting Nahuatl prayers, banging the bongos, or crying.

It was certainly different.

Hmm. *Googles Nahuatl* *Language of the Aztecs*

No human sacrifices?
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    edited April 2018
    So Labour are projected to pick up 200 net gains despite a small overall swing against them in favour of the Tories since 2014. Suggests large regional variation - London v the provinces?
    Edit - plus a fair few gains from UKIP I guess.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

You remind me of my dad..he was old Labour, principled, hated Blair and I always argued with him about animal rights as a kid...although he never shouted at me once in his life. You are a Tory and he was Labour...but he and you were both forged from something exceptionally decent........

Anyway I’m off to watch the match again on catch up..

My Father was of the most decent persons I have ever know. A gentleman who would raise his hat to a lady and always held the door open. He never swore but did on one occasion only say damn

A very different time and of course he and my mother lived through two world wars
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I don't know about anyone else. but I spent this afternoon basically naked in an authentic and extremely muddy sweat lodge near Chingford with my anarcho-Corbynite 22 year old wife and about 30 neo-hippies playing the Pan-pipes, chanting Nahuatl prayers, banging the bongos, or crying.

Will she be voting on 3rd May?
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

So Labour are projected to pick up 200 net gains despite a small overall swing against them in favour of the Tories since 2014. Suggests large regional variation - London v the provinces?
    Edit - plus a fair few gains from UKIP I guess.

Presumably. 200 is a nice, round number for a good narrative I would guess.

With absolutely zero analysis, I'd say if the Tories can get between 0-50 losses they can play that as a pretty good night, given inevitable losses in London, but councils lost may get more play?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Hmm. *Googles Nahuatl* *Language of the Aztecs*

No human sacrifices?
    Indeed. It was basically bollocks, the Aztecs didn't do sweat lodges - they had a permanent but very different healing sauna thingy; Sweat Lodges are a specifically Plains Indian tradition which has been stolen by Mexicans and South Americans - culturally appropriated, no less.

Despite that, and despite my intense skepticism, I found the whole thing oddly but properly spiritual (at times), and the post-ceremony vibe is emphatically erotic.
    I suppose the inevitable question is do the organisers intend the post ceremony vibe to be emphatically erotic? If yes, job well done. If not, problematic.

Good night all.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    SeanT said:

Were they playing Radiohead on the pan pipes?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    A plurality of Tory members, 44%, back the missile strikes against Assad's government but do not want to deploy ground troops. 32% want to deploy aircraft and ground troops against Assad, 20% want no military action against Assad at all
    https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2018/04/our-survey-conservative-members-support-military-action-against-assad-up-to-a-point.html
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Now, I know that the seats are in Remain friendly areas, but an 18% NEV share for the LDs (+7%), when they have been scoring just 7-8% in national opinion polls seems a touch optimistic.
  • Options
    Time to wish everyone a pleasant nights rest

Good night
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Also, UKIP won 166 seats in 2014. For them to only lose 125 seems highly unlikely.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited April 2018
    TGOHF said:
    I expect May would be reasonably happy with that, with little net change in the difference between the Tories and Labour and the LDs projected since 2014 on the ground campaigning will be vital in target wards
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:
    I expect May would be reasonably happy with that
    Maybe so - though Macmillan did a lot better in 1960 and 1961.
This discussion has been closed.