Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s the potential for Labour to get a long term polling bo

124»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited April 2018
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:
    I expect May would be reasonably happy with that
    Maybe so - though Macmillan did a lot better in 1960 and 1961.
    A year after her 3rd election victory in 1988 Thatcher's Tories led Kinnock's Labour 39% to 38% in that year's locals so almost neck and neck as is projected for this year and in 2006 after Blair's 3rd election win Labour trailed behind Cameron's Tories 26% to 39% in that year's locals
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056

tyson said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

+1. My grandma is not apart of the generation now being treated this way - she was born in the 30s and came here in the 50s - but for most of her working life she did home help.

Glad to hear she won't getnuinely incensed by this.
    One ofLammy to Andrew Neil. Hopefully the pressure from both left and right will lead to the government stopping all this.
    I want it dealing with immediately. It is not acceptable
    There are some useful action points at the end of this article, which does discuss the law quite well.

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/why-caribbean-commonwealth-citizens-are-being-denied-immigration-status/
    It does astonish me how Amber Rudd cannot see how wrong it is. She needs to deal with it
    Theresa May originated the policy.

Yep - this is a direct consequence of Home Secretary Theresa May deciding to chase positive headlines in the right-wing press by being deeply unpleasant to immigrants. It’s now got to the stage where British citizens who came to the UK legally and have lived here for decades are being targeted for deportation. What a proud achievement, eh?

This is exactly the reason why we were told to move back to the UK to start the citizenship process for my wife. Unless you have guaranteed status you never know, and not having that big of paper makes all the difference.

It also explains why the EU27 have zero confidence in UK government assurances about EU citizens’ rights in the UK post-Brexit.

Considering that Blair's government told us that immigrants from Eastern Europe would be less than 13,000 per year and that Cameron's government told us that net immigration would be reduced to the tens of thousands I wouldn't say its the EU who have most reason to have zero confidence in UK government assurances.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:
    I expect May would be reasonably happy with that
    Maybe so - though Macmillan did a lot better in 1960 and 1961.
    Is there any particular relevant connection between 1960/1 and now ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Bit of a trolling header this time! Obama won the support of the head of the KKK, as I recall - nobody is responsible for who supports them...
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Many of the people worked for NHS, councils or other arms of government, not dodgy subterranean jobs.

What a fitting way to mark the 50th Anniversary of Enochs notorious speech.

+1. My grandma is not apart of the generation now being treated this way - she was born in the 30s and came here in the 50s - but for most of her working life she did home help.
    Glad to hear she won't get targeted. I hope the government are suitably embarrassed by this and reverse whatever idiotic rules Theresa put in place. I'm genuinely incensed by this.
    One of the things which I’ve been relieved to see is the way people across the political spectrum are outraged by what’s happening - from David Lammy to Andrew Neil. Hopefully the pressure from both left and right will lead to the government stopping all this.
    I want it dealing with immediately. It is not acceptable
    There are some useful action points at the end of this article, which does discuss the law quite well.

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/why-caribbean-commonwealth-citizens-are-being-denied-immigration-status/
    It does astonish me how Amber Rudd cannot see how wrong it is. She needs to deal with it
    Theresa May originated the policy.

Yep - this is a direct consequence of Home Secretary Theresa May deciding to chase positive headlines in the right-wing press by being deeply unpleasant to immigrants. It’s now got to the stage where British citizens who came to the UK legally and have lived here for decades are being targeted for deportation. What a proud achievement, eh?

This is exactly the reason why we were told to move back to the UK to start the citizenship process for my wife. Unless you have guaranteed status you never know, and not having that big of paper makes all the difference.

My American-born wife moved to the UK free of immigration control by virtue of her Irish citizenship that she was able to claim as her grandmother was born in NI. Since the Brexit vote she regrets not having taken UK citizenship even though Irish people's rights to settle in the UK pre-date the EU and are enshrined in primary legislation. I had always intended to get around to applying for US citizenship at some point before my 10-year green card expired (which would have been in 2021) but sent off the application after Trump was elected. You never know!
This discussion has been closed.