Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay’s decision to back the Syria raid without Commons approva

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    As long as Russia doesn't nuke London, no one in Britain will change their vote over this. Neither Jeremy Corbyn nor Theresa May has shown themself off to best advantage though.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859
    Elliot said:

Sandpit said:
    Decent Labour MPs seem to accept the horrific danger for European security, during a time of renewed Russian aggression, of Corbyn being Prime Minister. Let us hope they have the courage to do what is needed to stop it. The British centre-left can always be rebuilt. The future of global democracy may not be.
    Of course right wing Corbyn hating PB Tories cheer lead right wing Corbyn Haters in the PLP.

Woodcock has voted for every war since he became an MP

How much safer have those wars like Libya made us?

How much have they cost?

Are we safer or less safe?

Have innocents been saved at the cost of other innocents lives.

Do Billy Big Bollocks feel better as they cheerlead war after war after war.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114

As long as Russia doesn't nuke London, no one in Britain will change their vote over this. Neither Jeremy Corbyn nor Theresa May has shown themself off to best advantage though.

And if the Russians do nuke London - that stuffs up the Remainers.....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,930
    Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

AndyJS said:

Petition:

"Windrush Generation were invited as settlers and as British subjects. Minors also had the right to stay. We call on the government to stop all deportations, change the burden of proof and establish an amnesty for anyone who was a minor."

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/216539

Has anyone got a link to the full facts on this story? Unbias and objective?

I could be wrong but I struggle to believe HMG and the Home Office would look to deport British subjects who’ve been living here for decades who immigrated legally under old immigration laws.
    Although be here.

It doing so.
    That wasn’t my question.
    That's readers.

On your specific point it looks like HMG and the Home Office is deporting non-British subjects who’ve been living here for decades who immigrated legally under old (pre-1971) immigration laws. They are not residing here legally now, hence the Home Office's ability to deport. That's because of rule changes since 1971, including recent changes.
    Those claiming goodwill and honest mistakes on the part of the Home Office should also consider the chaos of the appeals procedure - where half of all decisions are overturned, often after a delay of several years (during which time the appellant can be denied public services and the right to work...):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43737542

As Home Secretary, Theresa May made a political decision to make life harder and more unpleasant for immigrants. They now have to actively prove they have the right to be in the UK. What is happening with the Windrush Children is a direct consequence of that decision. People have lost jobs as a result of what May instigated, they have lost benefits, they have been deprived of treatment on the NHS; some have even be deported, while many others face the threat of deportation. The Home Office is implementing a regime set up by the Prime Minister. And British citizens - for that is what the Windrush Children actually are - are paying the price.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/04/how-seagull-short-eared-owl-and-oystercatcher-have-released-album

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

Petition:

"Windrush Generation were invited as settlers and as British subjects. Minors also had the right to stay. We call on the government to stop all deportations, change the burden of proof and establish an amnesty for anyone who was a minor."

I could be wrong but I struggle to believe HMG and the Home Office would look to deport British subjects who’ve been living here for decades who immigrated legally under old immigration laws.
    It's hard to find details on specific cases, but I wonder if some of these people have left the country for an extended period of time and then returned. Even so, it's still pretty poor from the Home Office and another example of them going after easy targets.
    This gives their view, I think: https://homeofficemedia.blog.gov.uk/2018/04/15/immigration-minister-op-ed-in-the-voice/

Specific cases ...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/why-the-children-of-windrush-demand-an-immigration-amnesty?CMP=share_btn_tw

If Caroline Nokes was in profile on the Home Office piece I’m sure you’d see her nose getting longer.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:
    Decent Labour MPs seem to accept the horrific danger for European security, during a time of renewed Russian aggression, of Corbyn being Prime Minister. Let us hope they have the courage to do what is needed to stop it. The British centre-left can always be rebuilt. The future of global democracy may not be.
    Of course right wing Corbyn hating PB Tories cheer lead right wing Corbyn Haters in the PLP.

How much have they cost?

If the strikes against the Assad gas supplies - which killed no-one - make it harder for the Syrian president to slaughter his own people, isn't that a good thing?

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,290
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

On topic it is easier to seek forgiveness than permission.

But for those Tories who think Mrs May should fight the next election this shows nothing has changed. She’d rather hide like a coward than come defend her permission. Cf the debates.

Having debates instead of relying on the prerogative was invented as yet another way for Tony Blair to be a complete lying c*nt horp in 2002, gave ed miliband the chance to do his best ever turn as a complete horp in 2013, and now looks like enabling that unutterable horp Corbyn to entrust our entire defence policy to Moscow, for ever. It is obviously a really good idea.
    What’s a ‘horp’? Clearly something unwelcome, but I’d like to know. Might be a useful addition to one’s vocabulary.
    It is a substring of "Scunthorpe." Other substrings are available, but deprecated, so it's a way round that.
    Does it count if you're the only person who knows what it means?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Labour MPs need to decide if they want to be complicit in supporting the rise to power of an agent of a hostile foreign state.

Sooner rather than later.

Thats the same comment Ben Bradley had to withdraw and apologise to Jezza for.

You should seek a lawyer sooner rather than later
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Scott_P said:
    And her a barrister.

Hang your f*cking head in shame, you wretched political stooge.

Chakrabati lost her moral compass a while back. Today's comments make clear it has irrevocably gone.

I feel oddly betrayed by her (silly, I know). I had thought she was a deeply principled and moral person; one who stood up to all-comers to do what was 'right' when at Liberty.

I've found her behaviour on this issue - and many others - since she became a paid-up Corbynite to be rather saddening.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Woman loses £400k of equity due to Grenfell repurcussion !

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/apr/16/value-of-london-flats-slashed-by-grenfell-style-cladding

£450k -> £50k, OUCH.

But on the plus side (for her, not the tax payer), she should take the opportunity to pay off the H2B loan. We lent her £95,000 to buy the flat, but you pay back 20% of the value of the property at the time of the valuation so she should only have to pay back £10,000.
    Oh for sure. Remortgaging will be tricky for her though till the cladding issue is sorted.
  • Options

Mr. 43, if people want to bleat about international law, perhaps they'd like to focus on the tyrant gassing people with chemical weaponry, rather than the democratic nation states blowing up chemical weapons factories?

Slightly reminds me of police top brass being shit-hot on protecting the tributes to a career criminal and rather less enthusiastic about protecting children from gang rape because it might not be 'culturally sensitive'.

Edited extra bit: perhaps a shade intemperate of me. My apologies.

Surely under international law, we should arrest the tyrant, place them on trial at the ICC in The Hague and then, if convicted, lock them up.

That is rather different from dropping bombs. Are you telling me that between the UK, USA and France, we cannot organise a team to catch such people and bring them to trial?
    I agree but would ask, as I am genuinely interested, how would you arrest the tyrant
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

But for those Tories who think Mrs May should fight the next election this shows nothing has changed. She’d rather hide like a coward than come defend her permission. Cf the debates.

Having debates instead of relying on the prerogative was invented as yet another way for Tony Blair to be a complete lying c*nt horp in 2002, gave ed miliband the chance to do his best ever turn as a complete horp in 2013, and now looks like enabling that unutterable horp Corbyn to entrust our entire defence policy to Moscow, for ever. It is obviously a really good idea.
    Somebody needs to do a Venn diagram between those in favour of Parliamentary sovereignty and those in favour of the Royal prerogative.
    "Parliamentary sovereignty" doesn't mean what you think it means: and anyway the doctrine has always been that there are matters which are outwith its scope, precisely because they are matters of prerogative.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    fitalass said:

What time is the PMs statement on Syria please?

Not been scheduled yet. I reckon the Speaker might schedule it to start between 2.30 and 3.30
    I heard a news report suggesting that the PM's statement would be around 3.30 with the debate possible lasting into the evening.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Mrs C, a team? One imagines Assad has rather a lot of security. It's not like snatching some nobody from the middle of nowhere.

If we want to bring down Assad it would likely mean an invasion. The actions taken are about helping to prevent further use of chemical weapons, not only in Syria, but elsewhere in the world too.

I admit that arresting someone is not as exciting as "Shock & Awe" nor is it as effective at cleaning the armouries out of near expiry munitions, but it has the virtue of getting the right person and making them pay.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    And if Shami says there is no evidence of something, there is no evidence of it. End of.
    The key is the word "convincing". This is a judgement which is likely to be affected by who is making the judgement.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

If the strikes against the Assad gas supplies - which killed no-one - make it harder for the Syrian president to slaughter his own people, isn't that a good thing?

Will they.

Werent we told intervention in Libya would make us safer?

Has it?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

What’s a ‘horp’? Clearly something unwelcome, but I’d like to know. Might be a useful addition to one’s vocabulary.
    It is a substring of "Scunthorpe." Other substrings are available, but deprecated, so it's a way round that.
    I am trying to introduce it into the language, and one has to start somewhere.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited April 2018
    That article is immensely depressing. Giving the MOD another £800mn as a sticking plaster is a terrible way to manage a department where programmes run for 10-20 years.

Perhaps we should ditch protectionism and just start buying almost 100% American. Our home market is clearly too small to support the independent development of anything meaningful, and Europrojects are always significantly over budget and delayed for years.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,982
    Mrs C, but getting Assad would require just that extra action which others (and, it seems, yourself) are so averse to.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

I can tell why you are desperate to change the subjects to other wars because you know how utterly indefensible Corbyn is over this one. He is willing to let thousands and thousand of innocent people die from the spread of chemical weapons after the convention breaks down as long as he can attack the Tories. His sympathies with the brutal Russian regime are as shameful as those with Hamas and the IRA. His friends in Hezbollah slaughtered democracy protesters on the streets of Tehran and yet he happily acted as a paid mouthpiece for the Ayatollahs on Press TV afterwards.

So you can bugger off with your accusations of Toryism. I have voted for two Labour leaders and I will go back to supporting the next one that consistently stands up for democracy and human rights.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

Might it just be to do with the fact his constituents depend on the construction of trident subs, so looking after his constituents
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    RoyalBlue said:

That article is immensely depressing. Giving the MOD another £800mn as a sticking plaster is a terrible way to manage a department where programmes run for 10-20 years.

Perhaps we should ditch protectionism and just start buying almost 100% American. Our home market is clearly too small to support the independent development of anything meaningful, and Europrojects are always significantly over budget and delayed for years.
    The quad have departed leaving others to clean up their mess.
  • Options

Mrs C, a team? One imagines Assad has rather a lot of security. It's not like snatching some nobody from the middle of nowhere.

If we want to bring down Assad it would likely mean an invasion. The actions taken are about helping to prevent further use of chemical weapons, not only in Syria, but elsewhere in the world too.

I admit that arresting someone is not as exciting as "Shock & Awe" nor is it as effective at cleaning the armouries out of near expiry munitions, but it has the virtue of getting the right person and making them pay.
    Given the OBL raid led to the loss of one of three helicopters against a poorly defending 'house', the forces needed to take a person under layers of security, who is constantly on the move would be huge. And the chance of a fuck-up would be (I guess) 80%+.

Not a goer at either a military or political level.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited April 2018

Not exactly what you're asking for but this thread seems to put it all together - it's pretty much consistent with the individual cases quoted from the Guardian and the Home Office's statement, provided you read the bit where someone representing a government bureaucracy with a numerical target to get rid of people says
    we want to make this process as straightforward as possible
    ...in an appropriately sarcastic tone of voice.

https://twitter.com/ColinYeo1/status/985782141211611136
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I am trying to introduce it into the language, and one has to start somewhere.
    Thanks, but no thanks.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Ok to nuke Manchester then?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,561

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

How much safer has not intervening in Syria in 2011 or 2013 made either us, or Syria ?
  • Options

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

Will they.

Has it?

Making it harder for Assad to gas his population will undoubtedly make them safer, yes; just as intervention in Bosnia and then in Kosovo undoubtedly saved many thousands of lives. Sometimes there is a case for military action; other times there isn't. People who say No to everything are just as culpable and dangerous as those who say Yes to everything.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited April 2018

Ok to nuke Manchester then?
    No... But LEAVE voting constituencies are another matter... :D
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

AndyJS said:

Petition:

Although be here.

It doing so.
    That wasn’t my question.
    That's readers.

On your specific point it looks like HMG and the Home Office is deporting non-British subjects who’ve been living here for decades who immigrated legally under old (pre-1971) immigration laws. They are not residing here legally now, hence the Home Office's ability to deport. That's because of rule changes since 1971, including recent changes.
    Those claiming goodwill and honest mistakes on the part of the Home Office should also consider the chaos of the appeals procedure - where half of all decisions are overturned, often after a delay of several years (during which time the appellant can be denied public services and the right to work...):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43737542

As Home Secretary, Theresa May made a political decision to make life harder and more unpleasant for immigrants. They now have to actively prove they have the right to be in the UK. What is happening with the Windrush Children is a direct consequence of that decision. People have lost jobs as a result of what May instigated, they have lost benefits, they have been deprived of treatment on the NHS; some have even be deported, while many others face the threat of deportation. The Home Office is implementing a regime set up by the Prime Minister. And British citizens - for that is what the Windrush Children actually are - are paying the price.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/04/how-seagull-short-eared-owl-and-oystercatcher-have-released-album

And because it was Mrs May who set up the system, she'll go on pushing others out to defend it rather than rethinking it - because rethinking it would have to mean starting from the basic principles and assumptions the policy's based on.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited April 2018

In an ideal world yes. But....

1) Assad is certainly going to be surrounded by tip top security 365/24/7. In all probability including Russian FSB/Special forces. Arresting him is going to be nigh on impossible.

2) For all the moral rectitude of a fair trial in the Hague and banging them up for life if found guilty through due process, is there not a case that, faced with the prospect of solitary for life or fight to the death, dictators my well prefer to fight to the death, whereas in the "old" days they were bunged off with $250M to an exile of luxury (see Idi Amin, Doc Duvalier, Marcos and doubtless many others) and everyone got on with a mildly improved life under a probably slightly less bat shit crazy general?
  • Options
  • Options

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

Will they.

Has it?

Making it harder for Assad to gas his population will undoubtedly make them safer, yes; just as intervention in Bosnia and then in Kosovo undoubtedly saved many thousands of lives. Sometimes there is a case for military action; other times there isn't. People who say No to everything are just as culpable and dangerous as those who say Yes to everything.
    As May has said, these strikes are not about regime change, so the comparison with Libya is clearly idiotic. Corbynites are desperate to talk about other wars because they have no good defence on Corbyn over this one. The man is a disgrace. At best he is Russia's useful idiot. At worse, well, I can't mention such possibilities due to UK libel laws.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

How much safer has not intervening in Syria in 2011 or 2013 made either us, or Syria ?
    We will never know if intervention would have made matters worse like Iraq or Libya.

The Coalition had a majority in 2011 and 2013 its own Backbenchers clearly decided we would make matters worse by intervening. Despite Wood Cock and Gapes siding with the War Mongers
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

We intervened to destroy the Islamic State, and quite rightly so as they were an existential threat to our security.
    This attack OTOH solidifies Assad's support in Damascus and surrounds (Nothing like a bit of incoming to unite an area). And I've seen no evidence of a chemical attack other than some people being hosed down with water, perhaps there is other 'evidence' out there but the timing seems all to do with that one video doing the rounds. As we know the POTUS is a president entirely lead by, and one who reacts to social media perhaps that's all there is to it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

We intervened to destroy the Islamic State, and quite rightly so as they were an existential threat to our security. ...
    Would ISIS have raisen in Syria with earlier intervention ?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    O/T, but Yorkshire’s match against Essex, the first of the season has been abandoned without a ball being bowled due to to an unfit (i.e. wet) pitch.

Has the weather been THAT bad in Leeds? Cricket was played, indeed IS being played in Manchester!
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Nigelb said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

We will never know if intervention would have made matters worse like Iraq or Libya.

The Coalition had a majority in 2011 and 2013 its own Backbenchers clearly decided we would make matters worse by intervening. Despite Wood Cock and Gapes siding with the War Mongers
    Are either Iraq or Libya in a worse state than Syria ?
    If number of deaths and refugees as a percentage of population are the metric, then likely not.
  • Options
    Anorak said:
    But Jezza said it's vital for the investigation into the gas attack to take place...
  • Options

O/T, but Yorkshire’s match against Essex, the first of the season has been abandoned without a ball being bowled due to to an unfit (i.e. wet) pitch.

Has the weather been THAT bad in Leeds. Cricket was played, indeed IS being played in Manchester!

It’s been very wet and snowy in Leeds for the past month which led to drainage issues for this match.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,327

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

Petition:

It's hard to find details on specific cases, but I wonder if some of these people have left the country for an extended period of time and then returned. Even so, it's still pretty poor from the Home Office and another example of them going after easy targets.
    This gives their view, I think: https://homeofficemedia.blog.gov.uk/2018/04/15/immigration-minister-op-ed-in-the-voice/

Specific cases ...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/why-the-children-of-windrush-demand-an-immigration-amnesty?CMP=share_btn_tw

Many thanks. I agree there are some shocking stories there.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

I can tell why you are desperate to change the subjects to other wars because you know how utterly indefensible Corbyn is over this one. He is willing to let thousands and thousand of innocent people die from the spread of chemical weapons after the convention breaks down as long as he can attack the Tories. His sympathies with the brutal Russian regime are as shameful as those with Hamas and the IRA. His friends in Hezbollah slaughtered democracy protesters on the streets of Tehran and yet he happily acted as a paid mouthpiece for the Ayatollahs on Press TV afterwards.

So you can bugger off with your accusations of Toryism. I have voted for two Labour leaders and I will go back to supporting the next one that consistently stands up for democracy and human rights.
    Corrected for you

Of course right wing Corbyn hating PB Tory Lite Posters cheer lead right wing Tory Lite Corbyn Haters in the PLP.

How much have they cost?

Do Billy Big Bollocks feel better as they cheer lead war after war after war.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

Corbyn is well up for a bit of warmongering when he is encouraging people to attack Israel. It's just Western interventions to stand up for human rights that he hates. You would have been happy for Gadaffi to slaughter the "cockroaches" in Benghazi.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited April 2018

I'm not so sure, particularly in the longer term. If Corbyn had opposed the strikes on the basis of futility and danger of escalation plus need for parliamentary approval then he would not be damaged electorally. I'm not convinced by those arguments but they are defensible. The damage is going to come because he has clearly gone on record to state that he will not sanction any military action without Security Council approval which means a Russian veto. Collective security in Eirope and elsewhere would be dead with profound consequences.

Then it gets worse. He is on record opposing humanitarian interventions with UN approval (Kosovo). He is on record supporting armed struggles against "imperialism". On Marr he has questioned Russian involvement in Salisbury at this late stage...

I also hope that this is a turning point within the PLP and a showdown results.
  • Options

And because it was Mrs May who set up the system, she'll go on pushing others out to defend it rather than rethinking it - because rethinking it would have to mean starting from the basic principles and assumptions the policy's based on.

In fairness to TMay it's David Cameron who made the targets, which were obviously going to have terrible policy outcomes yet be politically hard to back down from. Everything else follows from that.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Anorak said:
    But Jezza said it's vital for the investigation into the gas attack to take place...
    Inconvienient for my previous post on the subject, even less convienient for Corbyn mind.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,327

Not exactly what you're asking for but this thread seems to put it all together - it's pretty much consistent with the individual cases quoted from the Guardian and the Home Office's statement, provided you read the bit where someone representing a government bureaucracy with a numerical target to get rid of people says
    we want to make this process as straightforward as possible

Thanks, although I note the authors own strong views on free movement.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

Corrected for you

Of course right wing Corbyn hating PB Tory Lite Posters cheer lead right wing Tory Lite Corbyn Haters in the PLP.

How much have they cost?

There is nothing "lite" about standing up for the left wing principles of democracy and human rights. You however rush into bed with extreme hardcore right wingers in Iran and Russia.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,834

It's quite extraordinary. When Dave wanted to do military intervention against Syria, loads of Tories couldn't wait to side with Ed Miliband and humiliate him. In contrast, Theresa is now hailed as their warrior princess and Jezza a traitor and a coward. Theresa is mistress of all she surveys - political titanium.

Corbyn polarises opinion (which is good for the Government).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Anorak said:
    Inconvienient for my previous post on the subject, even less convienient for Corbyn mind.
    Corbyn has been slamming May for not waiting for a UN investigation... that Russia has already blocked nine times.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

Petition:

Specific cases ...

What makes it worse is that May has refused to meet the High Commissioners for Caribbean countries about the matter.
    She obviously doesn’t care about the suffering she’s caused.
  • Options
    Laura Kuenssberg

Verified account

@bbclaurak
    48m48 minutes ago
    More
    1. Legal advice sought by Tom Watson, Labour Deputy Leader, suggests strikes against Syria were against international law

Laura Kuenssberg

Verified account

@bbclaurak
    45m45 minutes ago
    More
    3. Advice goes on to say... 'Even if there was a doctrine of humanitarian intervention in international law, the strikes against Syria would not appear to meet the tests set out by the government
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Anorak said:
    I'm sure Jez and Seamus will find a way of blaming "the west" for Russia and Syria refusing to give inspectors access to the the site... ;)
  • Options

I wonder how a nuclear strike would affect the London Borough elections.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Yet another predictable day on PB. Corbynistas out defending their man - perhaps that's the only fight they would be willing to enter. Everyone else is accused of being a Tory stooge.

TBH I am just amazed that we have had some military action without the reports of collateral human damage.

I think the reaction to Chakrabati has been a bit over the top. I know that it is easy to think that someone who forensically reviewed the Labour Party finding no antisemitism, before receiving a peerage, might be willing to say anything but she is right that international law does not permit punishment raids. Have we had a statement as to the nature of the raids? Were they only targeted at storage and production of chemical weapons?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    edited April 2018

Thanks, although I note the authors own strong views on free movement.
    I think the lesson to take from this is that it's all Ted Heath's fault.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,982
    Mr. F, it'd be great for Corbyn. He'd advocate Labour councils declare themselves nuclear-free zones, guaranteeing their protection against ICBMs.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

I see Sean T was oversharing on the previous thread.

Imagine if you were out walking the dog in those woods :o
    Is that a new euphemism?
  • Options

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

Corrected for you

How much have they cost?

I think that the Falklands War, the First Gulf War, the US intervention in Bosnia, NATO's intervention in Kosovo, the campaign against terrorists in Northern Ireland, the intervention in Sierra Leone were all just wars which had positive outcomes. The interventions in Afghanistan and Libya were just wars which had more mixed outcomes.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

TBH I am just amazed that we have had some military action without the reports of collateral human damage.

That'll have been deliberate - and why the delay after Trump had clearly made the decision a while back. Needed to find and observe targets that weren't occupied overnight.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,284
    edited April 2018
    Good Morning BJO -

Your man is taking a beating right now and it is not a good look to be against your Country.

But on an issue that is important to you, have you seen the Government announcement that it is extending a trial scheme of 23,000 to approx 300,000 whereby those with dementia, disabled and with health issues will be paid directly for them to choose and pay direct for carers of their choice, be it family or other relatives and that payments will be authorized through their doctor to ensure no abuse of the scheme. Also gym membership, holidays and general personal counselling will be available

It is being announced as handing control directly to the patient over their own care.

Interesting at the very least
  • Options

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

Petition:

Specific cases ...

What makes it worse is that May has refused to meet the High Commissioners for Caribbean countries about the matter.
    Hasn't a meeting been scheduled at the Commonwealth head of government meeting?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I believe many of them are nuclear-free zones aren't they? they'll be fine, then.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

Corrected for you

How much have they cost?

There is nothing "lite" about standing up for the left wing principles of democracy and human rights. You however rush into bed with extreme hardcore right wingers in Iran and Russia.
    I have never slept with any extreme hardcore right wingers in Iran and Russia or in any other country for that matter.

If you stand up for Democracy and Human Rights that makes you a natural Corbyn Supporter Comrade.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sean_F said:

Low turnout but Corbynites unusually motivated to get to the polling booths through the nuclear winter. Many traditional Tories decide not to venture out of their bunkers.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    As someone who enjoys the posts and candour of @SeanT, I was truly shocked when he confessed he was in the vicinity of Chingford.

Chingford!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,284
    edited April 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Trust another extreme remainer to try and make it all about Brexit

No Polly - this is not about Brexit - go and have a couple of weeks in your other property in Tuscany, (all good socialists have more than one home) as it is a particular wonderful part of the World as I know from my family holidays there
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

Corrected for you

How much have they cost?

I think that the Falklands War, the First Gulf War, the US intervention in Bosnia, NATO's intervention in Kosovo, the campaign against terrorists in Northern Ireland, the intervention in Sierra Leone were all just wars which had positive outcomes. The interventions in Afghanistan and Libya were just wars which had more mixed outcomes.
    More Mixed LOL
  • Options

As someone who enjoys the posts and candour of @SeanT, I was truly shocked when he confessed he was in the vicinity of Chingford.

Chingford!

Epping Forest, probably. There are traditionally strange goings on there!
  • Options

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

Corrected for you

How much have they cost?

I have never slept with any extreme hardcore right wingers in Iran and Russia or in any other country for that matter.

If you stand up for Democracy and Human Rights that makes you a natural Corbyn Supporter Comrade.

Russian style democracy of course
  • Options
    edited April 2018

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

Petition:

Specific cases ...

Don’t know what’s happening to the 'blockquote' mechanism

The answer is no; asked for but refused. By May.
  • Options

Chingford!

Did I read from Sean that it was all back on with his young Corbynista wife? :D
  • Options

Maybe the other side got a heads-up?

Pee tapes save lives.
  • Options
    The Gov't needs to be able to authorise airstrikes and so forth quickly, and so for reasons of expediancy thus it can bypass parliament. There really should be a vote after the fact though.

Although I think the strikes are a nonsense I think the Gov't "order" in this case is correct. So I'm completely at odds with @JackW positions on the matter.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Sean_F said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

How much have they cost?

Corrected for you

How much have they cost?

More Mixed LOL
    Libya was a war in which lots of people died AND lots of people would have died, whichever position we took. It's the definition of a mixed outcome.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

The interventions in Afghanistan and Libya were just wars which had more mixed outcomes.

More Mixed LOL
    Libya was a war in which lots of people died AND lots of people would have died, whichever position we took. It's the definition of a mixed outcome.
    Same for Iraq and Syria to be fair.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No Polly - this is not about Brexit - go and have a couple of weeks in your other property in Tuscany, (all good socialists have more than one home) as it is a particular wonderful part of the World as I know from my family holidays there
    If she knows so little about the UK constitution that she thinks she is making a valid point, she should be disenfranchised.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,713

Scott_P said:

It's so much easier to attack the person rather than answer the point, isn't it?
  • Options

The right to gas children being a fundamental human right of any benighted despot, I presume.

You truly are a champion of the oppressed and downtrodden.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Sean_F said:

It's quite extraordinary. When Dave wanted to do military intervention against Syria, loads of Tories couldn't wait to side with Ed Miliband and humiliate him. In contrast, Theresa is now hailed as their warrior princess and Jezza a traitor and a coward. Theresa is mistress of all she surveys - political titanium.

Corbyn polarises opinion (which is good for the Government).
    True , many quite like that , as it was hard to tell the difference between New Labour and their disciples the supporters of Cameron.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's so much easier to attack the person rather than answer the point, isn't it?
    I will always attack Polly as I do not agree with her on most things
  • Options

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

Petition:

Specific cases ...

Ah, thanks for correcting me.
    Then, she is a silly bint who needs to wake up to a completely avoidable disaster.
    The Vogons were iirc an allegory of British bureaucracy.
    Shame Douglas Adams was so spot on.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Sandpit said:

Corrected for you

How much have they cost?

Russian style democracy of course
    Human rights for everyone except democracy protesters in Iran, victims of the IRA and anyone in sovereign countries that Russia claims should be their "sphere of influence".

These are people that feel the BBC is more problematic than Russia Today or Press TV.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    He is not a man with a track record of changing his views to become more electable. Whether his view of Powell makes him or less electable is difficult to judge, I would say insignificant either way.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

If she knows so little about the UK constitution that she thinks she is making a valid point, she should be disenfranchised.
    I thought it was a fairly astonishing inability to distinguish between legislative and executive powers.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think that this has the potential to cause a great deal of trouble for the Govt; Mrs M is ‘lucky’ that many minds will be on Syria.

The point I think that Mogg is making is that the treatment of the Windrush generation is ‘not British’. And that pushes a lot of buttons.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

Petition:

Specific cases ...

Then, she is a silly bint who needs to wake up to a completely avoidable disaster.
    Clear statement "This was not the policy's intention, we apologise, and we will sort it out."

End of.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Can you genuinely not see what is wrong with the point without help?
  • Options
    A Tory councillor has apologised after shouting "For the many, not the Jew" at a group of Labour Party activists "to provoke a reaction".

Billy Greening, a Conservative councillor for Horsham District Council in Sussex, is said to have confronted Ash Sarkar, senior editor of left-wing Novara Media, Huck Magazine editor Mike Segalov, and prominent Labour activist Owen Jones at The Falcon pub in Wandsworth.

The group say they had just been canvassing when they were approached by Mr Greening, allegedly poking Mr Jones in the chest (a claim he denies).

He is said to have shouted "For the many, not the Jew", a play on the Labour Party's slogan under Jeremy Corbyn, later claiming he wanted to provoke a "discussion" of the anti-Semitism row which has engulfed the party in recent months.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/conservative-councillor-apologises-for-yelling-for-the-many-not-the-jew-in-sussex-pub-row-with-a3814481.html
  • Options
    Anorak said:

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

Petition:

Specific cases ...

Clear statement "This was not the policy's intention, we apologise, and we will sort it out."

End of.

People have spent considerable amounts. Poor people. JAM people. Surely, surely NHI records should be available.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,390
    edited April 2018
    He's moving to the centre ground.

The Enoch was right brigade in the Tory party is insignificant.

Plus JRM is very proud of his father.
  • Options

Good Morning BJO -

Your man is taking a beating right now and it is not a good look to be against your Country.

But on an issue that is important to you, have you seen the Government announcement that it is extending a trial scheme of 23,000 to approx 300,000 whereby those with dementia, disabled and with health issues will be paid directly for them to choose and pay direct for carers of their choice, be it family or other relatives and that payments will be authorized through their doctor to ensure no abuse of the scheme. Also gym membership, holidays and general personal counselling will be available

It is being announced as handing control directly to the patient over their own care.

Interesting detail on the Disabled payments. Thanks for the info,

TBF Mrs BJ uses her money for the Social Care Providers of her choice already and her Carer (me) also gets Carers Allowance direct from the state already.

Not sure how the proposed scheme will impact.

The Holiday thing looks interesting as a £400 short break cost us nearly £3000 last year. End up paying for two sets of Social Carers. specialist transport, accommodation etc Its an absolute ball ache.
  • Options
    On Windrush: the position seems to be that May has refused formal talks, but has not refused to talk:

"Downing Street acknowledged that a request had been received from the Caribbean high commissioners and confirmed that a meeting had not been scheduled. Although the subject is not on the CHOGM agenda, officials said there would be “a number of opportunities” for the heads of delegations to meet the prime minister and discuss this “important issue”."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/15/no-10-refuses-caribbean-request-to-discuss-children-of-windrush

Clear? No, me neither, but it is inaccurate to say that she has refused to talk, without qualification.
  • Options

Good Morning BJO -

Interesting detail on the Disabled payments. Thanks for the info,

TBF Mrs BJ uses her money for the Social Care Providers of her choice already and her Carer (me) also gets Carers Allowance direct from the state already.

Not sure how the proposed scheme will impact.

The Holiday thing looks interesting as a £400 short break cost us nearly £3000 last year. End up paying for two sets of Social Carers. specialist transport, accommodation etc Its an absolute ball ache.
    It does seem to be a genuine attempt to give control to the patients who know their need better than most.
This discussion has been closed.