Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Hunt – 4th favourite to succeed TMay – being investigat

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited April 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Hunt – 4th favourite to succeed TMay – being investigated by Parliamentary Standards Commissioner

The Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, is being investigated by the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner for allegedly breaching the MPs' code of conduct over declaration of his biz interests – No 10 say no breach, awkward for a Cabinet minister

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    First :smiley:
  • Options
    Spurs in second
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    May I be the first to say that we leave The Apocalypse alone on this thread. All that contorting and twisting in the wind is likely to put his back out.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

May I be the first to say that we leave The Apocalypse alone on this thread. All that contorting and twisting in the wind is likely to put his back out.

It’s a she.

Unfortunately for you, I’ve had more responses to my posts that I intend to reply soon. If IIRC this isn’t the first time what I’ve said has troubled you. In life you can’t always be exposed to opinions that make you feel comfortable.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2018

His? EDIT: Doh! Beaten to it!!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Seems more cock-up by third party than conspiracy to hide anything dodgy.

Reckon he will not suffer adverse consequences unless something new surfaces.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Clearly, this paves the way for Mordaunt's victory.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    If this is simply about the timing of Jeremy Hunt's declaration on interest on his shareholding in a dormant company, as reported, then it's a purely technical breach of the rules and I expect will be dealt with by an apology to the House. Unless there's something else, I don't think it's significant.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/94485/excl-parliament-watchdogs-launch-probe
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Is this news? Wasn't he referred to the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner days ago?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    JonathanD said:

So on Windrush, the latest Labour iteration is that the process started on their watch, yes - but the Tories are complete and utter shits for not stopping twattish Labour policies from being implemented. That about it?

There's a bit more. The fact that the process started on their watch has absolutely nothing to do with the ministers at the time, but the fact that the process wasn't stopped on the next watch is 100% the fault of Theresa May, and what's more she deliberately didn't stop it because she wanted to kick legally-settled people in the goolies.
    So it wasn't to do with labour ministers when it started in 2009 but was TM responsible when she was 4 months into post in 2010

It is a view I suppose but not credible
    Labour ministers didn’t take the decision.
    Must say I'm very impressed with your Stalingrad standard defending today. Suspect it's in a lost cause though.
    Stalingrad? Just pointing out what the government themselves have said. Not sure what cause has been ‘lost.’ Plenty of people here defend the Tories on a general basis and yet you don’t seem to have issue with that. I’ve been critical of Labour on many things since 2015 but I defend them on this one thing and now it’s a problem? Please.
    What do you think people are accusing Labour of?

What people are pointing out is that Jeremy Corbyn asked a stupid question, was unable to reposition himself when it was answered in a way he wasn't expecting and because of his desire to have a 'gotcha' moment, managed to loose the argument over the Windrush children, which really shouldn't have been possible.

Do you think JC did a competent job at PMQs?
    People were getting all excited by TMay’s comment in PMQs and so I said after it was clarified that it wasn’t a ministerial decision that it had blown the moment away. That then triggered a series of responses and started the argument.

I don’t think people are just pointing out Corbyn’s an idiot, which is what we already know to be the case. People got excited because they thought the story would be no longer one which makes only the govt look bad, but instead would be seen as a failure of both parties.
    rkrkrk said:

I’ve got work to do, but I’ve ended up spending most of my afternoon arguing with everyone on this site.

I sympathize. I find it pretty depressing when that happens to me.
    Yep, this site is addictive....
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

If this is simply about the timing of Jeremy Hunt's declaration on interest on his shareholding in a dormant company, as reported, then it's a purely technical breach of the rules and I expect will be dealt with by an apology to the House. Unless there's something else, I don't think it's significant.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/94485/excl-parliament-watchdogs-launch-probe

I'll be furious if he messes up the excellent tip on him to be next Tory leader.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rkrkrk said:

I'll be furious if he messes up the excellent tip on him to be next Tory leader.
    Me too!
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Interesting that he/she assumes I’m a man. Why?
  • Options
    It’s a custom more honoured in the breach than in the observance.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    The Hunt becomes the Hunted.
  • Options

Anorak said:

I get the feeling that most people on here are male.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Anorak said:

Because on average (s)he'd be right on here..?

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Anazina said:

Anorak said:

>85% I would guesstimate.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Anazina said:

Anorak said:

Really

I had teenage girls as the top cohort
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anorak said:

Really

Like, whatever.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Can I just get an update on Labour's position on the Windrush Cards.

Is it really important because TMay destroyed them?

Or of no significance because Labour did?

• Options
    Anazina said:

Anorak said:

and @MarkHopkins yeah, but they still could have asked.

• Options

Anazina said:

Anorak said:

did you check if @MarkHopkins is LGBT ?

no didn't think so.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Anazina said:

Anorak said:

no didn't think so.
    Yeah, but I’m not making assertions about his sexuality. Therein lies the difference.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

Anazina said:

Anorak said:

Really

SeanT met all 8 of his teenage brides on the site.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    A lot depends what's being investigated. Public expectations of politicians are so low that he might well benefit from public cynicism.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anorak said:

no didn't think so.
    Yeah, but I’m not making assertions about his sexuality. Therein lies the difference.
    Did you just assume Mark's gender? :p

I guess it shows that in the absence of a screen name that might hint at your gender, expect that you'll be assumed to be a bloke since they constitute the vast majority of PB's readership.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Asked if he wanted to apologise to Sir Cliff, Dan Johnson told the High Court he was sorry the star "went through such a difficult time".

Questioned by Sir Cliff's barrister Justin Rushbrooke QC, Mr Johnson acknowledged using the term "celebrity paedo" when referring to the case in an email to a colleague.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43810108
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, it's just that the vast majority here are chaps. Must confess I made the same mistake with Mrs. Nester the other day.
  • Options

Ms. Apocalypse, it's just that the vast majority here are chaps. Must confess I made the same mistake with Mrs. Nester the other day.

It's the 21st century. We don't talk about Nestresses any more.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Anazina said:

Anorak said:

Really

I'm hoping he has learnt his lesson and goes for someone more mature

maybe early twenties might work
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

rcs1000 said:

Anazina said:

Anorak said:

Really

I'd urge everyone to take care walking in the Essex countryside.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn’s son ‘recruited ex-BNP supporter to star in Labour Party broadcast’

Tommy Corbyn brought in community campaigner Carl Walmsley for the promotional video - but unearthed social media messages show he used to back the BNP and said Muslims were 'bastards'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6084192/jeremy-corbyns-son-recruited-ex-bnp-supporter-to-star-in-labour-party-broadcast/
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

None of this matters as the Windrush sailed during the Attlee government, so the blame lies fairly on the shoulders of Home Secretary Chuter Ede...er...or a civil servant! Let us be clear, it has nothing to do with Mrs May!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited April 2018
    Unless Hunt is completely exonerated I think his chances of being next leader will have gone even if he stays in post.

Hunt already has a net approval rating of -62% with Yougov

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Jeremy_Hunt
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Unless Hunt is completely exonerated I think his chances of being next leader will have gone even if he stays in post

I think people said that after his close relationship with the Murdochs, then after various NHS crisis events. He somehow seems to manage to hang in there.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Anazina said:

Anorak said:

Really

I was walking in the Essex countryside this weekend.

However, I'm not in my early twenties so that's no doubt why I was ok.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, obviously. Nestrix is what I would've expected :p
  • Options

None of this matters as the Windrush sailed during the Attlee government, so the blame lies fairly on the shoulders of Home Secretary Chuter Ede...er...or a civil servant! Let us be clear, it has nothing to do with Mrs May!
    Nor Labour, it would seem....
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Jeremy Corbyn’s son ‘recruited ex-BNP supporter to star in Labour Party broadcast’

Tommy Corbyn brought in community campaigner Carl Walmsley for the promotional video - but unearthed social media messages show he used to back the BNP and said Muslims were 'bastards'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6084192/jeremy-corbyns-son-recruited-ex-bnp-supporter-to-star-in-labour-party-broadcast/

Sigh. Why didn’t they check his background beforehand (presumably he didn’t know his BNP history)?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Hunt appears to have no obvious ideology of his own. What is Hunt-ism?

Compare and contrast Johnson, Davis, Gove, Javid, Reed-Mogg, Hammond and Rudd.

For that reason alone, he really ought to be favourite - assuming he can scrape through this investigation.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Michael Gove is going to be last man standing. If there’s a contest in the next 18 months he’s got to be the favourite.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

For that reason alone, he really ought to be favourite - assuming he can scrape through this investigation.

Hunt along with Gove has the worst approval rating of any senior Tory with Yougov, Boris, Mogg, Rudd, Hammond, Davis and May all poll better.

At the moment he would be a gift to Corbyn
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2018
    The state of the comments under this article is horrendous. The upvotes for the most bizarre and clearly antisemitic rants is mind-boggling. And the Guardian apparently moderates its comments, so god only knows what is posted and rejected.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-antisemitism-syria-assad-russia-labour-party-split-a8310151.html

"The Jewish lobby is very powerful not just in the Labour Party. One solution I’ve heard is that the Labour Party should aim for 50% Jewish MP’s and 51% shadow cabinet members with a proviso that the Shadow Foreign Minister and Defence Minister be Jewish. A more radical view from some is that the Party should impose a cap on Muslim members so it is never more than the Jewish quota."

"Obviously their loyalty is to Israel than to Labour party, Labour members or working class. They would do anything to perpetuate the apartheid regime of Israel! History would judge them the way it would judge people and regimes who supported South Africa and designated Mandela a terrorist."

"The anti-semitism 'problem' also can be solved by simply having all MP's declare when they are running for office, or seeking re-election if they are a 'friend of Israel'"

Barnesian would no doubt claim they are all Tory trolls...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Michael Gove is going to be last man standing. If there’s a contest in the next 18 months he’s got to be the favourite.

Nah, even his fans think he is a c***.

It won’t be Michael Gove for a very simple and blunt reason, he’s pissed off far too many people in the Tory party. He’s annoyed people like David Davis with his actions over Brexit to the point David Davis contemplated resigning over Gove’s actions.

The Cameroon wing which has substantial numbers in Parliament still hasn’t forgiven Gove for going against Cameron in the referendum. When David Cameron goes pheasant shooting he likes to name the pheasants Michael Gove because when he shoots the pheasants called Gove it makes Cameron feel better. Pathetic and childish from David Cameron? Maybe, but it does display the animus for Gove.

Gove has also annoyed supporters of Boris Johnson when Gove ended Boris Johnson’s leadership ambitions in 2016, Ben Wallace, a Boris supporter, publicly announced he wanted to go all Game of Thrones and remove Gove’s penis. As an aside Ben Wallace is tipped to join the cabinet in the next major reshuffle.

You simply cannot annoy people to that level and expect to become Leader. When I said Michael Gove was a lot like Judas Iscariot the retort I was given was ‘Gove’s nothing like Judas, Judas had the decency to commit suicide after his betrayal.’

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/12/31/three-tips-on-who-might-be-theresa-mays-successor/#vanilla-comments
  • Options

he's worth electing if only to find out how many times the BBC resort to James Naughtie rhyming slang
  • Options
    Anorak said:

The state of the comments under this article is horrendous. The upvotes for the most bizarre and clearly antisemitic rants is mind-boggling. And the Guardian apparently moderates its comments, so god only knows what is posted and rejected.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-antisemitism-syria-assad-russia-labour-party-split-a8310151.html

"The Jewish lobby is very powerful not just in the Labour Party. One solution I’ve heard is that the Labour Party should aim for 50% Jewish MP’s and 51% shadow cabinet members with a proviso that the Shadow Foreign Minister and Defence Minister be Jewish. A more radical view from some is that the Party should impose a cap on Muslim members so it is never more than the Jewish quota."

"Obviously their loyalty is to Israel than to Labour party, Labour members or working class. They would do anything to perpetuate the apartheid regime of Israel! History would judge them the way it would judge people and regimes who supported South Africa and designated Mandela a terrorist."

"The anti-semitism 'problem' also can be solved by simply having all MP's declare when they are running for office, or seeking re-election if they are a 'friend of Israel'"

A more serious question is, how did they find out about this supposedly secret zionist plot :o Someone is leaking...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Asked if he wanted to apologise to Sir Cliff, Dan Johnson told the High Court he was sorry the star "went through such a difficult time".

Questioned by Sir Cliff's barrister Justin Rushbrooke QC, Mr Johnson acknowledged using the term "celebrity paedo" when referring to the case in an email to a colleague.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43810108

Beeb are in real trouble if this case goes against them. They refused to settle in advance and are trying to make it a test case on freedom of the press.

This is in front of a jury, right?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Unless Hunt is completely exonerated I think his chances of being next leader will have gone even if he stays in post

I think people said that after his close relationship with the Murdochs, then after various NHS crisis events. He somehow seems to manage to hang in there.
    This is more serious though and if he is found culpable in any way he will likely have to resign
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Anorak said:

That does sound as if it might be a troll, but how does one tell?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    edited April 2018
    HYUFD said:

Hunt has the worst approval rating of any senior Tory with Yougov at thr moment
    In the immortal words of John Reid "Oh F**k, not Health!" Hunt was up against it even prior to this debacle.

Sec of State for Health is a career killer. About the only MP to get promoted afterwards was Ken Clarke, and then only to CoE. The rest for both parties are in the career graveyard.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is more serious though and if he is found culpable in any way he will likely have to resign
    From the reports on this so far I disagree.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

To think I was banned from Comment Is Free.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Anorak said:

A more serious question is, how did they find out about this supposedly secret zionist plot :o Someone is leaking...
    I imagine that the Jews are far too clever to reveal their hand so blatantly.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Was it for crimes against fashion or terrible puns?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

In the immortal words of John Reid "Oh F**k, not Health!" Hunt was up against it even prior to this debacle.

Sec of State for Health is a career killer. About the only MP to get promoted afterwards was Ken Clarke, and then only to CoE. The rest for both parties are in the career graveyard.

It may have stopped Burnham's rise too
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Nah, William Joynson-Hicks, Neville Chamberlain, Kingsley Wood, Iain Macleod, and Anthony Barber would all disagree with you.
  • Options
    PB’s favourite people here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5629901/London-Mayor-Sadiq-Khan-gets-touchy-feely-Canadian-prime-minster-Justin-Trudeau.html

I know how well thought of Khan and Trudeau are on here after all so I’d thought I post this *innocent face*
  • Options

Anorak said:

Trolling/inflammatory comments.

Turns out saying Prince Harry is like a medieval Prince going to the Middle East on a crusade to kill Muslims is a no no on CIF.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

It may have stopped Burnham's rise too
    If there's any justice....
  • Options

Hunt is continuity Cameroonism.

Socially liberal, free market economic dry.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Turns out saying Prince Harry is like a medieval Prince going to the Middle East on a crusade to kill Muslims is a no no on CIF.
    I don't think the Crusaders had helicopter gunships

so the mods had a point
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Anorak said:

Point of order. The article is in the Independent not the Guardian.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

PB’s favourite people here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5629901/London-Mayor-Sadiq-Khan-gets-touchy-feely-Canadian-prime-minster-Justin-Trudeau.html

I know how well thought of Khan and Trudeau are on here after all so I’d thought I post this *innocent face*

I’m a big fan of Trudeau. A convert to FPTP. :smiley:
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Nah, William Joynson-Hicks, Neville Chamberlain, Kingsley Wood, Iain Macleod, and Anthony Barber would all disagree with you.
    Only one of those became PM, and that was pre NHS. Not a noted success as leader either!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Anorak said:

Don’t worry. That happened to me too. i think it’s because most people on here are men.

There may be some of course who think that women don’t like to bother their pretty little heads with all this hard political stuff.........

One PB’er, long departed, even said when he found that I was a woman that I couldn’t be because I argued like a man. I was very tempted to reply that, no, I didn’t argue like a man. I was much better than that.

:)

(PS The smiley is just to tease @tyson.)
  • Options

southern poncy boots with no appeal in Scunthorpe
  • Options

...a straw was very expertly clutched by Mrs May earlier today. Mrs May was somewhat impish but it seems to have worked well, with both the BBC and the Telegraph alluding to the destruction of the cards being at the behest of a Labour Home Secretary. It was a cleverly, if weasel, worded response to a stupid line of questioning by Corbyn, who suffered a right royal spanking for his efforts!

I enjoy watching Corbyn taking a caning as much as anyone else. However, this debacle is disgraceful and anyone who is not fully 'of the faith' can see Mrs May is up to her neck in slurry over this affair! The cards are a sideshow, the problem is the execution and administration of the 2014 Immigration Act!
  • Options

Anorak said:

I don't think the Crusaders had helicopter gunships

so the mods had a point
    Be rather like having dragons for the terror they would have caused.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think so too. If there is one thing that Hunt possesess politically, it is a brass neck.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Only one of those became PM, and that was pre NHS. Not a noted success as leader either!
    Two of those were post NHS and went on to become Chancellor.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

...a straw was very expertly clutched by Mrs May earlier today. Mrs May was somewhat impish but it seems to have worked well, with both the BBC and the Telegraph alluding to the destruction of the cards being at the behest of a Labour Home Secretary. It was a cleverly, if weasel, worded response to a stupid line of questioning by Corbyn, who suffered a right royal spanking for his efforts!

I enjoy watching Corbyn taking a caning as much as anyone else. However, this debacle is disgraceful and anyone who is not fully 'of the faith' can see Mrs May is up to her neck in slurry over this affair! The cards are a sideshow, the problem is the execution and administration of the 2014 Immigration Act!
    Too many exclamation marks!
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    Returning if I may to the previous thread....

Stodge said "I can't understand why owning your own home makes you more Conservative".

I thought I would provide him with this small, recent anecdote from my own patch of deep blue middle England (Mid Sussex).

There is a very unpopular planning application on my road, to turn a large derelict old house into 12 flats.

Wading through the multitude of objections to the planning application on the council's website the other day, I found one objection from the secretary of East Grinstead Labour Party saying "we object to this development because it will not be used for social housing". On smart roads in the home counties that is not the way to win votes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PBTories for Trudeau? Who would have thought it? :grin: Him keeping FPTP was one of his more side eye worthy decisions IMO.

@Cyclefree It’s really odd someone said you argue like a man, I’ve never thought the way people argue could be distinguished into male and female styles.
  • Options

Too many exclamation marks!
    There are but three!!!!
  • Options

But now Labour is in the Slurry-pit of Hell up to its neck too.

Tea break will soon be over. Back on our heads....
  • Options

I did not think much of Sadiq Khan before he became Mayor but have changed my mind. On the whole he has been a good Mayor; his responses to the terrorist atrocities last year were impeccable.

Goldsmith’s campaign was so awful and inept that I think (I hope) no-one will try anything like that again. We are fortunate in this country that we have good Muslim politicians in high office across the political divide. I hope this provides some inoculation against those trying to have an anti-Muslim party.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Anazina said:

Anorak said:

Really

I was walking in the Essex countryside this weekend.

However, I'm not in my early twenties so that's no doubt why I was ok.
    I was walking in Rutland, Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire today (that narrows the location down a little!). There were signs for the Gruffalo in some woodland, and I was sad no-one mistook me for him.

And no, I didn't see SeanT. Perhaps Rutland is a little too nice for him ...
  • Options

Anorak said:

In my experience saying anything vaguely reeking of common-sense would get you banned on CiF.
  • Options

@Cyclefree It’s really odd someone said you argue like a man, I’ve never thought the way people argue could be distinguished into male and female styles.

Alan Clark famously said (referring to Maggie Thatcher) that it was impossible to win an argument with a woman - the female tactic being to keep going round and round in circles until the man gets fed up and accepts defeat. Like many (most?) married men I can definitely see the grain of truth in that though it was a typically sexist and simplistic comment from AC.

• Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

None became leader though, which is where this betting market sits.

Health as a portfolio is not one that makes careers.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

In my experience saying anything vaguely reeking of common-sense would get you banned on CiF.
    #1 Rule of CiF - Under any article stating how disgraceful elite educational establishments are mention the educational background of Guardian journalists...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Until it does. Need I dig up that xkcd comic on presidential firsts? :p
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I did not think much of Sadiq Khan before he became Mayor but have changed my mind. On the whole he has been a good Mayor; his responses to the terrorist atrocities last year were impeccable.

Goldsmith’s campaign was so awful and inept that I think (I hope) no-one will try anything like that again. We are fortunate in this country that we have good Muslim politicians in high office across the political divide. I hope this provides some inoculation against those trying to have an anti-Muslim party.
    I totally agree. There was discussion among some liberal centrists that Khan should be Corbyn’s successor on Twitter recently. I’d vote for a Khan led Labour Party.
  • Options

RobD said:

PBTories for Trudeau? Who would have thought it? :grin: Him keeping FPTP was one of his more side eye worthy decisions IMO.

Very odd I agree. Some unconscious bias going on I think.

But I had a similar reaction at work. I would sometimes be accused of being ruthless because I would point out facts - unshorn of emotion - and why that meant that certain - difficult - action needed to be taken. It was as if people expected me as a woman to focus on touchy feely emotional stuff.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think so too. If there is one thing that Hunt possesess politically, it is a brass neck.
    I think this is more careless than anything else but what I would say about this week is this.

TM made Corbyn look foolish today but the Windrush scandal is an embarrassment for her but she will survive,

Corbyn has been found out this week and as a report in the Independent says this week and last nights debate has created an irretrievable split in labour and this will have implications sometime down the line

Amber Rudd should have dealt with Windrush when she was first notified of it and Corbyn actually saved her job today but she has lost any chance of the leadership

Jeremy Hunt has also lost his chance.

And it comes back to my contention that TM successor will be from the newer intakes and more than probably female
  • Options

But now Labour is in the Slurry-pit of Hell up to its neck too.

Tea break will soon be over. Back on our heads....
    I think you will find Labour under Corbyn are fully immersed in the ordure over many issues. The most worrying of which is the clown-school economics.

The fact that Corbyn is a 24 carat idiot should not give Mrs May, or back on topic, Mr Hunt a free pass when they are out of order.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Anorak said:

Ah hem. That's The Independent, not The Guardian.
  • Options

Anorak said:

I got barred for using your expression, Reverend Underpants.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, a woman? Arguing using logos rather than pathos?! 'tis not normal!

[For the record, logos is the only way to go with arguments].
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I agree with all that. Plus having had 2 big-mouthed show-off mayors in a row, I get the sense that London is enjoying having a more reserved mayor at the moment. Many Londoners (especially, ironically, among the Tory voting ones) actually rather prefer a mayor who doesn't do or say much...at least that means fewer cock ups and damaging policies.

• Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think this is more careless than anything else but what I would say about this week is this.

TM made Corbyn look foolish today but the Windrush scandal is an embarrassment for her but she will survive,

Corbyn has been found out this week and as a report in the Independent says this week and last nights debate has created an irretrievable split in labour and this will have implications sometime down the line

Amber Rudd should have dealt with Windrush when she was first notified of it and Corbyn actually saved her job today but she has lost any chance of the leadership

And it comes back to my contention that TM successor will be from the newer intakes and more than probably female
    yup

• Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Until it does. Need I dig up that xkcd comic on presidential firsts? :p
    Sure, but if we look at Next Leaders, they usually come from CoE, HO, or FCO.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited April 2018

Miss Cyclefree, a woman? Arguing using logos rather than pathos?! 'tis not normal!

Pathos is the only way to change minds.

EDIT: Logos is used to rationalise and justify your own prejudices.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not much fussed if they are male or female but clearing out the old guard and having some of the newer intake in the running sounds like a very good idea to me.
  • Options

@Morris_Dancer Your Diversity training needs topping up...
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

#1 Rule of CiF - Under any article stating how disgraceful elite educational establishmentsi are mention the educational background of Guardian journalists...
    # 2 Rule - mention Polly’s Tuscan villa, especially when her column talked about increasing inheritance tax (famously not paid in Italy). If you combined it with her educational and family background AND a reference to how many junior relatives of Guardian journalists got internships or jobs, you’d get moderated in double quick time.

It was quite a fun game for a while......
  • Options

Not much fussed if they are male or female but clearing out the old guard and having some of the newer intake in the running sounds like a very good idea to me.

Are any of the newer intake any better than the old guard though? More likely worse IMO. Since the Maggie/Callaghan years every generation of politicians has been less able than the one which preceded it.

• Options

Hunt now backs Brexit so is no diehard Cameroon and he has virtually no charisma unlike Cameron and has also written papers proposing taking a more market based approach to healthcare Cameron never considered and whatever the merits Corbyn would use against him
  • Options
    Mr. Barnesian, pathos is the way of leading the weak of will and mind, tugging on heartstrings rather than applying reason and logic.

Dr. Foxy, Morris Dancer has no diversity training. Morris Dancer needs no diversity training.

[+5 fantasy points to anyone who gets the reference, from which almost all the words have been changed].
This discussion has been closed.