Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the threat of a confidence vote on TMay has far less poten

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited April 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the threat of a confidence vote on TMay has far less potency than it appears

It has been reported over the weekend that Mrs May could possibly face a challenge over the issue of whether Britain remains in a Customs Union after Brexit.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    First!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    These strategic considerations seem correct. However, the system is this kind-of Jenga meets Russian Roulette thing where anybody can put in a letter and it sits there until there are enough, at which point everything explodes, and also MPs spend a lot of their time drunk, so just because it doesn't make strategic sense for grumpy brexiters to do this doesn't mean they won't accidentally do it.

I think TMay would probably win the confidence vote, but these things can easily take on a life of their own.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,577
    In any event, May has forestalled such discussion, for now.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43860453
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Mrs Thatcher won the vote in 1990. It is not enough merely to win: Theresa May would have to win convincingly. She can't risk it. As OP says, her challengers cannot risk it either, since they cannot be sure the right challenger (themself) would win. The Cabinet is trapped in an unstable equilibrium.
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    If the Tory MP`s wanted to get rid of May at present the Windrush affair would be an issue which the public might recognise as justified.The fact that there are so few Tory voices calling for her to resign over it shows there is no appetite for her to go.
    Not least because the BBC has showed footage from a 2004 Question Time showing Theresa May calling for Labour Home Office Minister to resign over some issue and yet Tories are not applying to her what she was applying to others in 2004
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    He’s Sir Graham now.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited April 2018
    Labour has already shown how it is done....

More seriously, Mrs M telling us what sort of Brexit we are going to have, absent any debate or decision by parliament, is not a good look.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Nigelb said:

From that BBC report: But a senior Downing Street source told the BBC the government's position would not change. "We will not be staying in the customs union or joining a customs union," the source said.

The part about not joining a customs union is just semantics. If there is an agreement of any sort then whether it is called a customs union or not is angels on the head of a pin stuff. It might be significant here that Labour policy is to leave the customs union then join a new one, so Number 10 will not want to look as if Corbyn is running the show.

The Conservative manifesto said: As we leave the European Union, we will no longer be members of the single market or customs union but we will seek a deep and special partnership including a comprehensive free trade and customs agreement.

So there you go: not a new customs union but a comprehensive free trade and customs agreement. Glad that's been cleared up!
  • Options

Mrs Thatcher won the vote in 1990. It is not enough merely to win: Theresa May would have to win convincingly. She can't risk it. As OP says, her challengers cannot risk it either, since they cannot be sure the right challenger (themself) would win. The Cabinet is trapped in an unstable equilibrium.

Michael Gove helps secure Theresa May's premiership. Not because he is loyal to her but because he was disloyal to Boris -- a constant reminder to any would-be challenger not to rely on any pledges of support, however freely and sincerely given.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

This is a false comparison, the rules were different then. Thatcher had to face a leadership contest, not a confidence vote, and she didn’t get enough votes to avoid a further ballot. She had to resign when it was made clear that she wouldn’t get the support in the second round to win. If May wins a confidence vote that’s it.
  • Options
    alex. said:

This is a false comparison, the rules were different then. Thatcher had to face a leadership contest, not a confidence vote, and she didn’t get enough votes to avoid a further ballot. She had to resign when it was made clear that she wouldn’t get the support in the second round to win. If May wins a confidence vote that’s it.
    I don't think Theresa May will feel secure enough to follow John Major's example and call for a vote herself.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    The nuclear option for the Eurosceptics is to leave the Tory party and bring down the government.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Nigelb said:

From that BBC report: But a senior Downing Street source told the BBC the government's position would not change. "We will not be staying in the customs union or joining a customs union," the source said.

The part about not joining a customs union is just semantics. If there is an agreement of any sort then whether it is called a customs union or not is angels on the head of a pin stuff. It might be significant here that Labour policy is to leave the customs union then join a new one, so Number 10 will not want to look as if Corbyn is running the show.

The Conservative manifesto said: As we leave the European Union, we will no longer be members of the single market or customs union but we will seek a deep and special partnership including a comprehensive free trade and customs agreement.

So there you go: not a new customs union but a comprehensive free trade and customs agreement. Glad that's been cleared up!
    yes but the difference is we will be able to strike our own trade deals , that is what being in the CU prevents. the EU don’t want the UK as a competitor that is what they are afraid of
  • Options

alex. said:

I don't think Theresa May will feel secure enough to follow John Major's example and call for a vote herself.
    Who’s suggesting she will? I’m just addressing your argument that she would have to win any confidence vote “convincingly”. If she wins (50% +1) she wins. And she’s there for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Nigelb said:

It won't be a high fat emulsified offal tube, it will be The British Sausage. That is what red white and blue Brexit means.

https://youtu.be/YpipqJNFDOQ
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

yes but the difference is we will be able to strike our own trade deals , that is what being in the CU prevents. the EU don’t want the UK as a competitor that is what they are afraid of
    It is certainly what I am afraid of -- Liam Fox selling out to America or anyone else simply to sign any old deal. A deal that would doubtless be rigged in their favour and would involve giving up at least as much sovereignty as we claim back from the EU.

What you say is why we are leaving *the* customs union. My point is that without knowing what is intended by Number 10, whether we call it *a* customs union or a comprehensive free trade and customs agreement is moot. It is the deal that matters, not the name.
  • Options
    alex. said:

alex. said:

Who’s suggesting she will? I’m just addressing your argument that she would have to win any confidence vote “convincingly”. If she wins (50% +1) she wins. And she’s there for the foreseeable future.
    We shall see. I think you are wrong and that a narrow win would mean Theresa May resigns as a matter of honour, and that if she did not there'd be another vote in a week.
  • Options

alex. said:

alex. said:

We shall see. I think you are wrong and that a narrow win would mean Theresa May resigns as a matter of honour, and that if she did not there'd be another vote in a week.
    From the header, no further vote could happen for a year.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

Good point, though I doubt it will change much in practical terms.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977

alex. said:

Morning folks. And a fine Spring one it is; out of my window anyway.

Mrs May only went to the country this time last year because she was convinced she would not only win, but win big. She doesn’t strike me as someone who would make the same mistake the same mistake twice, so I don’t think that inless and untilGraham Brady has amassed 48 letters ..... assuming any from last October have not been withdreawn...... there’ll be no question of a Tory leadership election.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,964
    kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

Which countries do you think the UK is likely to sign an FTA with, that the EU hasn't or isn't interested in?
  • Options
    St George's Day! I rather like the fact we don't make a fuss. Down with Jeremy Corbyn and his extra bank holiday. I'd forgotten about it, and suspect most people did until reminded by the radio or Google.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited April 2018

alex. said:

alex. said:

Mrs May didn't even have a narrow win in terms of the majority on June 8th yet continued to stay in place. I think any victory on a vote like this would be enough for her to remain. Remember as well that the rules prevent a further such confidence vote within 12 months.
  • Options

St George's Day! I rather like the fact we don't make a fuss. Down with Jeremy Corbyn and his extra bank holiday. I'd forgotten about it, and suspect most people did until reminded by the radio or Google.

Extra four bank holidays. It’s not one each!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

St George's Day!

He's the only Palestinian before whom Corbyn does not genuflect.
  • Options

alex. said:

alex. said:

Mrs May didn't even have a narrow win in terms of the majority on June 8th yet continued to stay in place. I think any victory on a vote like this would be enough for her to remain. Remember as well that the rules prevent a further such confidence vote within 12 months.
    Yes, though I think a narrow win would make her position untenable both as a matter of honour and inside the Cabinet -- and we have already seen the PM could not move Jeremy Hunt sideways as she'd intended. However, for the reasons already stated, it is unlikely she will face any such challenge, certainly not over an issue as abstruse as what name you put on something that is almost but not quite *the* customs union.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Foxy said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

The Brexiteers do not want to remove Mrs May as such, rather to vote against a Withdrawal Bill which did not provide freedom to make trade deals. Their hope would be bring about a 'no deal' Brexit. The spotlight would then turn on the opposition. Do they vote opportunistically with the rebels (as with Maastricht) or do they ensure we avoid the cliff edge by supporting the Bill?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

alex. said:

She couldn't, even if she wanted to. A leader who resigns is barred from standing in the subsequent contest.
  • Options

In Leicester we had a St George's Festival

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/st-georges-day-celebrations-leicester-1486755.amp?__twitter_impression=true
  • Options
    Foxy said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/st-georges-day-celebrations-leicester-1486755.amp?__twitter_impression=true
    Cubs, the Gruffalo and Morris Dancers. It will never catch on.
  • Options
    Morning all: flash Manufacturing PMIs out for France, Germany and the Eurozone this morning.

The last three PMI numbers have all shown sharp slowdowns in growth in the bloc, and ZEW showed a large drop off in investor confidence in Germany*. Will AEP break his streak and correctly call a German recession**?

The German Manufacturing PMI was 58.2 in March, a 15 month low. Now, 58.2 (in the general scheme of things) is a ridiculously high number, so there is a lot of dropping you could get before you even got close to recessionary levels (50). My guess is that the German PMI number will come in at 52-54 for the month, showing the pace of expansion slackening, but still in expansionary territory.

France was 53.7 in March, very sharply down from February (when it was close to 60). My guess is that it will also contract, but not by a significant amount. My money would be on France coming out around the 53-53.5 level.

If I've got these two numbers right, then the Eurozone Flash Manufacturing PMI is almost certain to come out around the 52.5-53.0 level. Again showing slowing momentum, but not an outright recession.

Worth noting that Japan unexpectedly bucked the trend of downward PMI numbers this morning, and posted its first acceleration (albeit only a very small one, and from a depressed number), in five months.

* ZEW measures investor sentiment about economic conditions. It thus has essentially zero predictive power.

** No.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    rcs1000 said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

Which countries do you think the UK is likely to sign an FTA with, that the EU hasn't or isn't interested in?
    the issue here is being able to strike our own deals, not having trade policy dictated to us by the EU. Even if we initially replicate existing EU trade deals , in the long term we will be free to diverge and hopefully negotiate better ones. The point is we will have regained control of our own trade policy
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    What is Theresa May’s strategy in the event that the House of Commons votes to call for the government to include a customs union as part of its Brexit negotiations? Options include:

a) “OK then, Parliament” - which would drive the ERG still more mental
    b) ignore the vote - never a good look and risking dangerous defeats later
    c) play for time in some way - but the clock is ticking down to 29 March 2019 and none of the participants look in a mood to be played

a) looks like the path of least resistance at present but this morning’s reaffirmation makes it appreciably harder. So I’m guessing some form of c).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    Good on Labour and the Conservatives for their joint announcement on money for the children of alcoholics.

But seeing Jon Ashworth and Jeremy Hunt on TV together, I cannot help but thing of a comedy double act. Hunt looks slightly gormless and Ashworth as through the camera aspect is wrong. In their defence, I think they're looking into the sun, and apparently Ashworth did the marathon yesterday ...

It should be said that Hunt seems more uncomfortable standing beside Ashworth than vice versa.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Foxy said:

I always make a bit of a fuss on St Georges day, Its the day I met my wife, and a very lucky man I am too..
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    edited April 2018
    On topic, if it comes to a confidence vote May will probably technically win it, because there’s no heir across the water.

That still won’t do her any good. If 200 Tory MPs vote for her, but 80-100 vote against, with the rest abstaining, then she’ll be holed beneath the waterline.

She won’t have anything like enough confidence in her party or in the Commons on her leadership to carry out her programme, so, unless she won convincingly, I’d expect her to stand down.

If she didn’t, the party would factionalise and she’d start to lose key votes on her legislation thereafter, eventually leading to a GE.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    edited April 2018

alex. said:

alex. said:

She doesn't have a sense of honour. If she had, she'd have resigned over Windrush.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

rcs1000 said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

the issue here is being able to strike our own deals, not having trade policy dictated to us by the EU. Even if we initially replicate existing EU trade deals , in the long term we will be free to diverge and hopefully negotiate better ones. The point is we will have regained control of our own trade policy
    My views on the EU, and leaving, are well known on here. But I do find this idea that there are hundreds of countries desperate to sign FTAs with us that are somehow prevented by the protectionism of the EU somewhat absurd.

If the major countries of the world are so free trade (against the protectionist EU), how come the US, China, Brazil, Japan and India have so few free trade deals?

The important reasons to leave the EU are two fold: 1. It increases the democratic accountability of our politicians (and therefore hopefully increases the quality of decisions), and 2. The Continental ethos, in terms of political and legal systems, is fundamentally different to ours, and therefore staying in the EU will constantly chafe.

I believe that better governance will pay off in the long run. I think, largely due to the incompetence of Dr Fox, that we are likely to suffer meaningfully worse terms of trade with the rest of the world for the next five years or so.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    If a confidence vote took place following Cabinet resignations on a specific issue that could be presented as unpopular in the country, if it was lead by a leader-in-waiting who could reassure relative moderates that a vote against May wouldn't land then with Rees-Mogg as PM then I could envisage it being successful. I have no idea how likely these conditions are.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

St George's Day!

Possibly the wittiest comment I have ever seen on PB!
  • Options

alex. said:

alex. said:

If it comes to a confidence vote, she’s already lost IMHO. Hence the manoeuvres from Downing Street last night.

This is a Parliament where she needs virtually every Tory MP on board, all the time, and there’s an extremely delicate tightrope to be walked.
  • Options

What is Theresa May’s strategy in the event that the House of Commons votes to call for the government to include a customs union as part of its Brexit negotiations? Options include:

c) play for time in some way - but the clock is ticking down to 29 March 2019 and none of the participants look in a mood to be played

a) looks like the path of least resistance at present but this morning’s reaffirmation makes it appreciably harder. So I’m guessing some form of c).

I think she will go the DecrepitJohnL route:

"This is not a customs union, it is a deep and meaningful customs partnership".

"And what's the difference?"

"Oh my God, look! There's a dead cat on the floor. Who left that there?"
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

St George's Day!

I was going to post that on Facebook, before remembering that quite a few of my friends have had sense of humour by-passes.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,266

The question is surely in the hypothesis. If Parliament calls for the UK to remain in the CU then May has already lost because that is not her policy. Given the commitments she has made I think this would be a no confidence decision in the government's position. As a result I very much doubt she will lose the vote in the first place. She has already won this vote once and I think she will again when it comes back from the HoL.

More likely is that she wins the vote but then comes back from the negotiations with something that looks awfully like a CU. She will then need to sell that to all of her party as she has succeeded in doing to date. If the "membership" is restricted to the transitional period I think she will be fine.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Hopefully, we won't find out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Dura_Ace said:

St George's Day!

I was going to post that on Facebook, before remembering that quite a few of my friends have had sense of humour by-passes.
    It also does not really work as a joke since Jeremy Corbyn wants a bank holiday for St George.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

Type, scope and depth, particularly on movement and services. Also on agricultural produce and wines from friendly nations.

Also, having the trade deal in the name of the EU with the EU flag, and not the UK, just pisses some people off, I think; it delegitimises whatever is in it. Some may laugh at that and say - “why the hell does that matter?” - but it does, because, again, it goes to heart of people’s identity and their views on democratic consent, which is what this is all about really.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Cubs, the Gruffalo and Morris Dancers. It will never catch on.
    It was a good day for it, and for the Sikh festival in Sunday there was an even bigger crowd, but the Sikh do free food, so always a plus!

• Options

Nigelb said:

The Lancaster House speech is clear. Quit the Common External Tarriff and Common Commercial Policy but otherwise open minded.

Those are the two red lines I’d be looking for.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The question is surely in the hypothesis. If Parliament calls for the UK to remain in the CU then May has already lost because that is not her policy. Given the commitments she has made I think this would be a no confidence decision in the government's position. As a result I very much doubt she will lose the vote in the first place. She has already won this vote once and I think she will again when it comes back from the HoL.

More likely is that she wins the vote but then comes back from the negotiations with something that looks awfully like a CU. She will then need to sell that to all of her party as she has succeeded in doing to date. If the "membership" is restricted to the transitional period I think she will be fine.
    The solution to all her problems is to announce a "seven year customs partnership".

To the ERG, she can say "it's not membership of the customs union, and it gives us time to get all our ducks in the row, and this was the best I could do and avoid a defeat at the hands of the perfidious Lords, and business has been desparate for a lengthy transition period, and we're still leaving."

And to Soubry et al, she can say "you know how I said seven years, well you and I know that that will get extended indefinitely, and staying in the customs union, I mean err having a customs partnership, well, it would make rejoining easier, and you really don't want a No Deal Brexit do you?"
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    It would be somewhat ironic if May won a confidence vote by a narrow margin and the Brexiteers argued she had no moral mandate to continue and, i don't know, started calling themselves the 48%...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rcs1000 said:

The important reasons to leave the EU are two fold: 1. It increases the democratic accountability of our politicians (and therefore hopefully increases the quality of decisions)

Brexit has already reduced the quality of Parliamentary decision making.

Lots of MPs have said that Brexit is stupid, but "they have to do it"

No amount of "democratic accountability" will compensate for the losses.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I’m not fussed either way about Bank Holidays personally. As an OAP every day.....

However, I am bothered about the clustering effect. If this proposal were to go through in, say, 2021 we would have bank holidays on March 1st, March 17th, April 3rd & 5th and 23rd, then May 3rd and 30th. That’s 7 in 3 months. then nothing until the end of August and again till the end of November.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

Type, scope and depth, particularly on movement and services. Also on agricultural produce and wines from friendly nations.

Also, having the trade deal in the name of the EU with the EU flag, and not the UK, just pisses some people off, I think; it delegitimises whatever is in it. Some may laugh at that and say - “why the hell does that matter?” - but it does, because, again, it goes to heart of people’s identity and their views on democratic consent, which is what this is all about really.
    Tariffs on services, though, are incredibly rare.

So when we say service focused, we're talking about persuading countries to bring down internal barriers to free markets (such as rules and specifications on service contracts that act as NTBs). That's really hard, because it encroaches on countries sovereignty in a way that physical goods do not.

I think we'll find - in the medium term - it very easy to sign deals with Canada, Australia and NZ, and I look forward to cheaper wine from these countries. I think we'll replicate the existing EU deals in time, although we've been pretty poor at making progress on this so far. I think the other targets - like the US - come with compromises we'll find very hard to swallow.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kjohnw said:

rcs1000 said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

My views on the EU, and leaving, are well known on here. But I do find this idea that there are hundreds of countries desperate to sign FTAs with us that are somehow prevented by the protectionism of the EU somewhat absurd.

If the major countries of the world are so free trade (against the protectionist EU), how come the US, China, Brazil, Japan and India have so few free trade deals?

The important reasons to leave the EU are two fold: 1. It increases the democratic accountability of our politicians (and therefore hopefully increases the quality of decisions), and 2. The Continental ethos, in terms of political and legal systems, is fundamentally different to ours, and therefore staying in the EU will constantly chafe.

I believe that better governance will pay off in the long run. I think, largely due to the incompetence of Dr Fox, that we are likely to suffer meaningfully worse terms of trade with the rest of the world for the next five years or so.
    It’s all about that. Economically, it’s a battle to trade a bit of growth for the next 5 years, over the ability and freedom to take advantage of global opportunities over 25 years.

If we choose the former, matters won’t rest there; we’ll be having further big debates about leaving the customs union/rejoining the EU throughout the 2020s.
  • Options

On topic, if it comes to a confidence vote May will probably technically win it, because there’s no heir across the water.

That still won’t do her any good. If 200 Tory MPs vote for her, but 80-100 vote against, with the rest abstaining, then she’ll be holed beneath the waterline.

She won’t have anything like enough confidence in her party or in the Commons on her leadership to carry out her programme, so, unless she won convincingly, I’d expect her to stand down.

If she didn’t, the party would factionalise and she’d start to lose key votes on her legislation thereafter, eventually leading to a GE.

Given how stubborn she is, that is one snake that Tory MPs might well decide they don't want to start travelling down.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

Tariffs on services, though, are incredibly rare.

So when we say service focused, we're talking about persuading countries to bring down internal barriers to free markets (such as rules and specifications on service contracts that act as NTBs). That's really hard, because it encroaches on countries sovereignty in a way that physical goods do not.

I think we'll find - in the medium term - it very easy to sign deals with Canada, Australia and NZ, and I look forward to cheaper wine from these countries. I think we'll replicate the existing EU deals in time, although we've been pretty poor at making progress on this so far. I think the other targets - like the US - come with compromises we'll find very hard to swallow.
    I agree with almost all of that.

On non-tariff barriers, however, it’s made slightly easier with respect to common law jurisdictions that share similar professional standards and contract law to our own. In the medium-long term I think there are some exciting opportunities in the Commonwealth countries.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

rcs1000 said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

But that isn't a "point", just a process? The point should be some sort of identifiably achievable positive outcome. Otherwise there is no point in enduring all the disruption.
  • Options

It’s all about that. Economically, it’s a battle to trade a bit of growth for the next 5 years, over the ability and freedom to take advantage of global opportunities over 25 years.

If we choose the former, matters won’t rest there; we’ll be having further big debates about leaving the customs union/rejoining the EU throughout the 2020s.

Nah.

It's like Ireland. How much discussion was there in Ireland about rejoining the United Kingdom post independence?

None. (Even when Ireland was economically stagnating and the UK was surging ahead.)

The UK has chose to leave the EU. It may prosper, or it may elect Jeremy Corbyn, but whatever path is ahead, it is extremely unlikely to involve rejoining the EU.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Meanwhile, in Corbynista candidate news:
    https://twitter.com/CDP1882/status/988065256399343618

Edited extra bit: Mr. Flashman (deceased) beat me to it.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    What’s the problem with having a(nother) fantasiist in the HoC?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think that’s more or less right.

As long as she can officially quit it and it doesn’t affect the DfIT and what it is doing, she’ll be ok. But, there will need to be a degree of non-EU/UK tarriff differentiation between the EU and the UK because I doubt we will want to do the same things with importing non-EEA manufactured and agricultural goods.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

The solution to all her problems is to announce a "seven year customs partnership".

To the ERG, she can say "it's not membership of the customs union, and it gives us time to get all our ducks in the row, and this was the best I could do and avoid a defeat at the hands of the perfidious Lords, and business has been desparate for a lengthy transition period, and we're still leaving."

And to Soubry et al, she can say "you know how I said seven years, well you and I know that that will get extended indefinitely, and staying in the customs union, I mean err having a customs partnership, well, it would make rejoining easier, and you really don't want a No Deal Brexit do you?"
    I think 7 years would be pushing it if this was the full common external tariff. It would tie our hands too much. If she can contrive a customs partnership with the EU which allowed us to do our own deals with third parties, even with a lot of extra paperwork for goods which come from third parties and are then re-exported to the EU, I think people would live with that pretty much indefinitely.
  • Options
    There is a degree of evidence that Jeremy Corbyn's iron fist does not extend to candidate selection.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Nah.

It's like Ireland. How much discussion was there in Ireland about rejoining the United Kingdom post independence?

None. (Even when Ireland was economically stagnating and the UK was surging ahead.)

The UK has chose to leave the EU. It may prosper, or it may elect Jeremy Corbyn, but whatever path is ahead, it is extremely unlikely to involve rejoining the EU.
    Apples and scampi. You really cannot compare the pre 1922 British-Irish relationship, at least as far as the RoI is concerned, with the British-EU one.

Why scampi..... was going to put oranges, but thought that inappropriate in the circs!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

TGOHF said:
    I hope you don't really believe that.

I will defend our MPs. Most of them are good people much like ourselves: they make mistakes, but try to do a good job for their constituents and what they think is right for the country. You will find every single sin amongst them (and possibly all sins in one or two), but you will also find every virtue.

But this woman seems rather unsuitable. I would not want to be a constituent who gets on her bad side (and it sadly seems that is rather easy to do).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nah.

Apples and scampi. You really cannot compare the pre 1922 British-Irish relationship, at least as far as the RoI is concerned, with the British-EU one.

Why scampi..... was going to put oranges, but thought that inappropriate in the circs!
    Why not?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    She knocked on my door once, campaigning for the London Assembly. I remember it well, as she hadn't read the note on her pad that I was a councillor for another party, and I kept her on the doorstep for a nice long chat. She seemed pleasant enough, if a little flaky.

As I recall, when she lost an election over in Tory west London (Kensington I think), she lodged a complaint that 20,000 postal votes for her had apparently somehow gone missing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nah.

I think it’s more like 16thC England.

There’s a significant minority who view our split with the EU as illegitimate, and will be agitating for us to rejoin for decades.
  • Options
    OK.

Question for PBers.

My wife is off for the first two and half weeks of the summer holidays. (This is LA, so this is from about the 6th of June.)

This leaves me with 16 days to entertain an 8 and a 10 year old.

I'm not going to stay home, because I'd go mad, so am going to bundle them onto a plane and do something. Specifically something awesome that they'll love. I don't mind jumping on a plane for 12 hours if I have to, and I have two million airmiles, so can afford to go practically anywhere.

Suggestions?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I think 7 years would be pushing it if this was the full common external tariff. It would tie our hands too much. If she can contrive a customs partnership with the EU which allowed us to do our own deals with third parties, even with a lot of extra paperwork for goods which come from third parties and are then re-exported to the EU, I think people would live with that pretty much indefinitely.
    7 years is too much of a stretch. If Labour win GE2022 - barely 4 years away now - it would never end.

But, much more likely that partnership is agreed in certain key sectors, like planes and cars, for a price.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nah.

There’s a significant minority who view our split with the EU as illegitimate, and will be agitating for us to rejoin for decades.
    I disagree: EU rejoining will be a very minority subject in the decades to come, and our relationship with the EU will wax and wane over time. I suspect that we'll end up rather closer (geography does that) than most Brexiteers would like, but I think the key thing is formal separation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OK.

Question for PBers.

My wife is off for the first two and half weeks of the summer holidays. (This is LA, so this is from about the 6th of June.)

I'm not going to stay home, because I'd go mad, so am going to bundle them onto a plane and do something. Specifically something awesome that they'll love. I don't mind jumping on a plane for 12 hours if I have to, and I have two million airmiles, so can afford to go practically anywhere.

Suggestions?

From experience I would say that they are the ideal ages for Disney, which of course you have in Cal but you could get a plane to Florida if you were desperate to travel. Younger than that and they get very tired with all the walking and standing in line. Older and the cynicism starts to bite. Our best Disney trips (I have been dragged a few times) were with kids of that age.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

OK.

Question for PBers.

Suggestions?

From experience I would say that they are the ideal ages for Disney, which of course you have in Cal but you could get a plane to Florida if you were desperate to travel. Younger than that and they get very tired with all the walking and standing in line. Older and the cynicism starts to bite. Our best Disney trips (I have been dragged a few times) were with kids of that age.
    Done Disney with my children. All the rides Child A wants to do are derided as babyish and boring by Child B. While all the rides that Child B want to do are too scary for Child A.

And there's only so much wandering around, eating awful overpriced food, one can put up with.
  • Options

TGOHF said:
    There's been at least one vacancy since Norman Baker lost his seat.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    I don't think Remain has the numbers for CU.

There have already been several votes on it in the Commons; Govt has won every single one...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nah.

I disagree: EU rejoining will be a very minority subject in the decades to come, and our relationship with the EU will wax and wane over time. I suspect that we'll end up rather closer (geography does that) than most Brexiteers would like, but I think the key thing is formal separation.
    I hope you’re right, but I think it will echo down for some time yet.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I don't think Remain has the numbers for CU.

There have already been several votes on it in the Commons; Govt has won every single one...

What about for a deep and meaningful customs partnership? :)
  • Options
    Flash PMIs from France: Manufacturing in line with my estimates, Services way above. Composite 56.9.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, on the minor front, you could try teaching them to bake a pizza. [This is the only somewhat interesting/helpful answer I have for such questions].
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited April 2018
    rcs1000 said:

OK.

Question for PBers.

Suggestions?

Not a suggestion from experience. With that brief I would take them to Japan. Interesting culture that your children probably know something about in a superficial.way that they could get to know. Also Japan is a friendly country to children.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OK.

Question for PBers.

Suggestions?

Take them camping in the Sierra Nevada, Yosemite, and the ghost town of Body. It will get them off the electronics, and there are always other kids in campsites. Stay in the National parks sites as much more fun and good evening nature talks, hire a camper can if you don't fancy a tent.

The National Parks are the best bit of America. Further afield less crowded too, like Mesa Verde and around Taos.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

With which countries has the EU signed an FTA that is optimal for the U.K.?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

OK.

Question for PBers.

Suggestions?

Florida.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,939
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Except of course it won't be 'the' Customs Union it will be 'a' Customs Union with all the 3rd party issues that Turkey suffers from.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I hear great things about Banff, if you want an active holiday.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

OK.

Question for PBers.

Suggestions?

Florida.
    Not in June, head for the hills.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OK.

Question for PBers.

Suggestions?

Go North young man. Head for Yellowstone and the Rockies. Some of those incredible Giant Redwoods and Mountains. It will be cooler in tge summet heat and a real experience for the kids.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I will defend our MPs. Most of them are good people much like ourselves: they make mistakes, but try to do a good job for their constituents and what they think is right for the country. You will find every single sin amongst them (and possibly all sins in one or two), but you will also find every virtue.

But this woman seems rather unsuitable. I would not want to be a constituent who gets on her bad side (and it sadly seems that is rather easy to do).
    Maybe I should gave added LOL!

Liked the comment posted a few minutes ago about he claiming the RO had ‘lost’ 20,000 of her postal votes!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I hear great things about Banff, if you want an active holiday.

Banff and Jasper are both fantastic. Then a couple of hours East of Banff is the Dinosaur Museum at Drumheller.
  • Options

Mr. 1000, on the minor front, you could try teaching them to bake a pizza. [This is the only somewhat interesting/helpful answer I have for such questions].

With or without ham and pineapple?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Negotiate with the EU to achieve it, decide the trade off is too high, bring a final treaty w/o CU back to the Commons and dare it to vote The deal down
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    When is the vote on a customs union amendment to the trade bill?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

TGOHF said:

Maybe I should gave added LOL!

Liked the comment posted a few minutes ago about he claiming the RO had ‘lost’ 20,000 of her postal votes!
    How did she get selected!?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nah.

Why not?
    Experience suggest that one should not make reference to orange in connection with Ireland, especially N. Ireland. There are people who will misunderstand and take offence.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

OK.

Question for PBers.

Suggestions?

Take them camping in the Sierra Nevada, Yosemite, and the ghost town of Body. It will get them off the electronics, and there are always other kids in campsites. Stay in the National parks sites as much more fun and good evening nature talks, hire a camper can if you don't fancy a tent.

The National Parks are the best bit of America. Further afield less crowded too, like Mesa Verde and around Taos.
    Yosemite is awesome.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,930
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

With which countries has the EU signed an FTA that is optimal for the U.K.?

With which countries will the UK get a trade deal that is optimal for the UK?

This discussion has been closed.