Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters still make next year the favourite for TMay to stand d

13»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Sandpit said:

I see the Lords have defeated the Government yet again on U.K. membership of the charter of fundamental rights.

I now expect the Government to lose virtually every single amendment there.

Time for an election? "Who governs?"
    It might come down to that.

I think the Lords might be unbiddable on this.
    Volunteers needed for 150 new Conservative peers?
    First step is seeing if the Commons will send the original bill back, and see if all the Lords try to make the same changes again.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, very expensive health insurance. However, everyone in Switzerland has to get health insurance. I'm literally abiding by the same rules as everyone else. I don't think the government in the UK would ever make people buy health insurance. The NHS is an article of faith, even though the Swiss healthcare system is leagues better.

Do their insurers have a different approach to ours? It often strikes me that the main aim of the insurers here is not to insure but to duck out of their commitments.

If we had more faith in insurers coughing up when needed, maybe it would work better.

Good evening, everyone.
    I've had contact with the Swiss healthcare system a few times and I've never had any issues with them paying up. My fiancé has slightly cheaper insurance and she uses it a bit more because of women's stuff and she never has any problems either.

I think there is a difference in attitude as well, there is almost no insurance fraud in Switzerland. When someone makes a claim on their insurance it is because they have a need (health, home, car etc...). The whiplash injury scam would never happen in Switzerland.
    Interesting, thanks.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Cyclefree said:

That may well be true. But some might well have asked: why shouldn't British citizens get preferential treatment in their own country? I.e. why shouldn't a country say to foreigners coming here that they need to contribute through taxes for a period of time before becoming eligible for benefits/welfare but say that its own citizens do not have to jump through the same hoops?

Of course that raises the whole issue of treating all citizens of EU states in the same way - which is the concept which Maastricht made explicit. But I think that some in this country objected to this on principle - in short, enough people in Britain felt that British people should be treated differently (better) than non-British citizens (including EU citizens) in their own home country for your suggestion to be a non-starter. Certainly not without the sort of intensive debate needed before you start turning a non-contributory welfare system into a contributory one and apply it to your own citizens. I just don't see how any politician in this country could do it

Any attempt to change the welfare system is seen as toxic. So because of the failure to do this, we have ended up with a decision to exclude ourselves from the EU in order to deal with the consequences of the combination of a non-contributory welfare system combined with FoM.

I didn't say I supported the change because it would help us exclude migrants from our benefits system. I support a contributory welfare system because it promotes work and punishes those who choose not to work.

When it comes to welfare and education, we can learn a lot from Switzerland.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I see the Lords have defeated the Government yet again on U.K. membership of the charter of fundamental rights.

We already had a “Who governs?” election.
    May didn’t win.

Nor can she flood the HoL. I think it would be deemed a democratic outrage and would have the effect of strengthening the resolve of opponents. Like it or lump it, the HoL are doing the job our constitution asks them to do.

Given the technical detail involved in Brexiting, it’s hard to figure out exactly what the public want. But the locus of opinion seems to be an EFTA style deal.

That’s not currently on the table due to May’s red lines, but perhaps it should be. What other option unites me, Tyndall and Nabavi?
    EFTA/EEA has always been the sensible option, but Theresa has stupidly ruled it out. It gives us a lot of room to breathe in terms of fixing our own overseas trading arrangements and long term relationship with the EU.

Not a lot we can do about it tbh.
    It would be interesting to do a PB poll on this.
    My pref is of course to Remain, but the least worst Brexit for me is EFTA/EEA and I could grudgingly live with it.

Perhaps others feel the same way.
    Plenty of PB leavers were/are on the soft brexit train.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    The last Prince James who was the younger son of a reigning sovereign isn't the happiest of precedents, though.

I would have thought Phillip or Edward or even Michael are more likely.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Foxy said:

Maybe because he's reading Matthew Goodwin's on-going analysis:

e.g.
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/722794649379848192
    Isn’t that just basic facts? We’ve know for a long time now Leavers care about immigration and that it was a major factor in the vote to Leave.
    Howabout this new division of the EU into 28 equal sized populated states? Would we stay in?

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/988436124963082241?s=19
    That is delightfully bonkers.
    Though interestingly the New Saxony region corresponds pretty closely to the bits of the UK where I feel most comfortable.
    The bit where you need to rent a bedsit for £1200 a month
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    kle4 said:

Yes PB is atypical in that many Leavers here, maybe even most, would be happy with EFTA, as was said repeatedly after Cameron's not-so-hot renegotiation.

Such an option would have probably easily have won a referendum.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    ydoethur said:

The last Prince James who was the younger son of a reigning sovereign isn't the happiest of precedents, though.

There's already a Prince James, although he doesn't use the title, bad form to create a second one. Can rule it out on that basis alone I'd have thought
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,746
    edited April 2018
    Roger said:

Now they're letting women play it's only ever likely to be a sub
    I doubt the new Prince will be called "HMS Trafalgar".

Pause.

I missed something here, didn't I... ? :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

"James" is possible: it's the name of Kate's brother. Bear in mind that Charlotte was called "Charlotte" because it's Pippa's middle name. However I agree on "Phillip": given the state of health of the Duke of Edinburgh and the fact that Pippa's actual name is "Phillipa", it seems like a good bet.

I myself am advocating "Tarkin"... :)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

e.g.
    Isn’t that just basic facts? We’ve know for a long time now Leavers care about immigration and that it was a major factor in the vote to Leave.
    Howabout this new division of the EU into 28 equal sized populated states? Would we stay in?

Though interestingly the New Saxony region corresponds pretty closely to the bits of the UK where I feel most comfortable.
    North Land looks awesome
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

e.g.

I know someone who is currently buying a house.

He's 22.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Anyone betting on royal baby name?

William at 34 looks value, what with it being Shakespeare's birthday and George being unavailable.
    James
    James James Morrison Morison Weatherby George Dupree
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Sky News has Windrush victim who was threatened with deportation in 2008.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

"James" is possible: it's the name of Kate's brother. Bear in mind that Charlotte was called "Charlotte" because it's Pippa's middle name. However I agree on "Phillip": given the state of health of the Duke of Edinburgh and the fact that Pippa's actual name is "Phillipa", it seems like a good bet.

James II was of course overthrown by his daughter and her husband turning in Vader.

With that, my coat. Good night.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

e.g.

North Land looks awesome
    Eric Bloodaxe would agree
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

William at 34 looks value, what with it being Shakespeare's birthday and George being unavailable.
    James
    I see your James James Morrison Morison Weatherby George Dupree and raise you Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    Pugh Pugh Barney McGrew Cuthbert Dibble Grubb.
  • Options

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    Hah! I got there first! I win the internet!

(becomes unbearably smug)
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited April 2018
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

I had a wee bet on Frederick, I know that is the name of Prince Michael's son, but its in keeping with the era of William, George and Charlotte in the Royal family. Also, it can be shortened to Freddie like Prince Harry. Fitaloon was advocating Prince Dod, you can take the boy out of Aberdeen, but not Aberdeen out of the boy... :)
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    The royal nipper will be called Gary.

Or Lee.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James

Indeed. I will graciously accept defeat and go off in a huff!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

James II was of course overthrown by his daughter and her husband turning in Vader.

With that, my coat. Good night.
    King William Palpatine and Queen Annakin executed Order 66. Suddenly it all makes sense! :)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    fitalass said:

Fitaloon was advocating Prince Dod, you can take the boy out of Aberdeen, but not Aberdeen out of the boy... :)

But his brother is already a Doddy...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,439
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

We already had a “Who governs?” election.
    May didn’t win.

Nor can she flood the HoL. I think it would be deemed a democratic outrage and would have the effect of strengthening the resolve of opponents. Like it or lump it, the HoL are doing the job our constitution asks them to do.

Given the technical detail involved in Brexiting, it’s hard to figure out exactly what the public want. But the locus of opinion seems to be an EFTA style deal.

That’s not currently on the table due to May’s red lines, but perhaps it should be. What other option unites me, Tyndall and Nabavi?
    EFTA/EEA has always been the sensible option, but Theresa has stupidly ruled it out. It gives us a lot of room to breathe in terms of fixing our own overseas trading arrangements and long term relationship with the EU.

Not a lot we can do about it tbh.
    It would be interesting to do a PB poll on this.
    My pref is of course to Remain, but the least worst Brexit for me is EFTA/EEA and I could grudgingly live with it.

Perhaps others feel the same way.
    I have been on the EFTA train since about 1998.I was a Leaver long before it was unfashionable.
    I would hard Brexit before I would hard Remain though.
    Mu reading of EU elections was always that we were being offered more Europe (LD), the same amount of Europe (Lab), less Europe (Con) or no Europe at all (UKIP). LD and Lab always underperformed at European elections, because what they were offering wasn't popular. But I always thought as an electorate we would have compromised, bar the oitliers on either side, with less Europe. If only we had been offered a referendum on Lisbon, none of this need have happened. Or, if DC had actually come home with a decent renegotiation and then offered a three way choice of full integration, renegotiated halfway house, or leave, he would have won a plurailty, been able to present it as the sensible middle choice, and put the issue to bed for a generation. Still, we are where we are.
  • Options

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    P'tang, Yang, Kipperbang
  • Options

viewcode said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James

Indeed. I will graciously accept defeat and go off in a huff!
    :)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

AnneJGP said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, very expensive health insurance. However, everyone in Switzerland has to get health insurance. I'm literally abiding by the same rules as everyone else. I don't think the government in the UK would ever make people buy health insurance. The NHS is an article of faith, even though the Swiss healthcare system is leagues better.

Do their insurers have a different approach to ours? It often strikes me that the main aim of the insurers here is not to insure but to duck out of their commitments.

If we had more faith in insurers coughing up when needed, maybe it would work better.

Good evening, everyone.
    I've had contact with the Swiss healthcare system a few times and I've never had any issues with them paying up. My fiancé has slightly cheaper insurance and she uses it a bit more because of women's stuff and she never has any problems either.

I think there is a difference in attitude as well, there is almost no insurance fraud in Switzerland. When someone makes a claim on their insurance it is because they have a need (health, home, car etc...). The whiplash injury scam would never happen in Switzerland.
    Which presumably relieves thw Swiss of the PITA of unsolicited calls 'about your recent accident'!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    P'tang, Yang, Kipperbang
    Prince P'tang has a certian ring to it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    Anazina said:

Or Lee.

Why not Stephen? Or Patrick? Or Louis?

Philip would be nice, though.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    GIN1138 said:

Why not just "Prince" ? :D

Symbol? Or perhaps, Crest?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    GIN1138 said:

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Just found out that Mandy Richards was Labour candidate for the West Central seat on the Great London Authority in 2016, polling 53,211 votes to the Conservatives' 67,775.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Central_(London_Assembly_constituency)
    http://www.sadiq.london/mandy_richards_west_central
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Or Lee.

Wayne. Jason. Ethan. Aiden. Leo. Jayden. Joshua... :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

I reckon he should then have a massive tattoo of that on his arm.
  • Options

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    Richard Grosvenor Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax?
  • Options

Thanks for the welcome, mr Meeks. I remember you posting as Antifrank.
    I am not sure what the issue is, but I have had problems with safari (cannot refresh (or even login!?!) via iPhone/iPad), but am now logging in via another app, which seems to work. It is still a bit shit, if I am honest, and if all other posters go through the same horrid process, then I salute your dedication.

I still can't login with Safari. Using Firefox instead.
  • Options
    Can I put in a plea for "Andrew" or "David"? In these fissiparous times it would be nice if we did patron saints...
  • Options

viewcode said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    P'tang, Yang, Kipperbang
    It does indeed... :)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Anazina said:

Or Lee.

Wayne. Jason. Ethan. Aiden. Leo. Jayden. Joshua... :)
    Liam!
  • Options

viewcode said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    P'tang, Yang, Kipperbang
    I thought that was Prince Albert?
  • Options

Freggles said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

e.g.

North Land looks awesome
    Good man. Good values.
    Charles said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    Ah, the rare quadruple barrelled surname, a true classic. As I often comment though, I just love a many named person, like my favourite peer, Thomas Galloway Dunlop du Roy du Blicquy Galbraith.

I see wiki says a chap actually took the name Tarquin et al for a by-election. At the same one it links to a chap by the name of Bill Boaks, who it says has the record for the lowest number of votes in a by-election, at 5 votes.
  • Options
    Just listened to Martin Lewis talk about the scam ads using his image. The scammers are exploiting the strength of Facebook targeting. By being able to micro target and also run 10s, 100s (or I believe in the case of trump POTUS campaign 100,000s) of different ads that only a few 1000 people see one of, it makes it impossible to a) discover them and b) complain to have every single one taken down.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,203
    Can confirm Control_Freaks's problem. The last two or three weeks both pb.com and vanilla have been all over the place -- comments appear and disappear. Also a Safari user (both desktop and ios).

[Five-year plus lurker; arguing about politics bad for my blood pressure]
  • Options
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    P'tang, Yang, Kipperbang
    "...Cause if you liked it, then you should have put a ring in it..." :)
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Can confirm Control_Freaks's problem. The last two or three weeks both pb.com and vanilla have been all over the place -- comments appear and disappear. Also a Safari user (both desktop and ios).

Are you usng a VPN ? I find with certain VPN settings I can’t post and I see posts only up to an hour previous.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

...[Five-year plus lurker; arguing about politics bad for my blood pressure]

Yes, but where do you stand on pineapple on pizza? :)

• Options
    viewcode said:

carnforth said:

How long do we reckon this joke is going to run for?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

carnforth said:

Only whilst watching Die Hard on Christmas Eve.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    carnforth said:

I've had similar problems. Mobile seems more predictable than desktop. Chrome on IOS on both...
  • Options

carnforth said:

Are you usng a VPN ? I find with certain VPN settings I can’t post and I see posts only up to an hour previous.
    No VPN. Standard domestic internet connection.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    kle4 said:

Freggles said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

e.g.

North Land looks awesome
    Good man. Good values.
    Charles said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    Ah, the rare quadruple barrelled surname, a true classic. As I often comment though, I just love a many named person, like my favourite peer, Thomas Galloway Dunlop du Roy du Blicquy Galbraith.

I see wiki says a chap actually took the name Tarquin et al for a by-election. At the same one it links to a chap by the name of Bill Boaks, who it says has the record for the lowest number of votes in a by-election, at 5 votes.
    He deserves a tv drama series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Boaks
  • Options
    carnforth said:

viewcode said:

carnforth said:

Only whilst watching Die Hard on Christmas Eve.
    :)
  • Options

viewcode said:

carnforth said:

The heat death of the universe.
  • Options
    Apparently the van driver was known to the authorities.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    To all the English, Happy St Georges day to the most diverse and liberal part of the UK.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    P'tang, Yang, Kipperbang
    I didn’t have you down as a Beyoncé fan..,

https://vimeo.com/47984626
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Anazina said:

Or Lee.

Adolf.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

carnforth said:

In the bathroom?

(Think about it)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Or Lee.

Adolf.
    I don't think Ken Livingstone gets to make the choice!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited April 2018
    NY former Police Commissioner Bill Bratton says his sources say Minassian was known to the authorities and it was a terrorist attack

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/alek-minassian-driver-van-hit-pedestrians-toronto-canada/
  • Options

viewcode said:

carnforth said:

I was thinking of taking a sample of similar memes, noting the decay curve, and using the latter to predict the time to "pineapple-on-pizza" meme failure. Then I thought that might be overthinking it... :)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    Minassian sounds rather an Armenian name.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Or Iranian.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Might I suggest Norman Stanley would be nice names for the newborn.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Foxy said:

Talking of which, Cher has the same surname as the Armenian President who just resigned.
  • Options
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

James
    P'tang, Yang, Kipperbang
    I didn’t have you down as a Beyoncé fan..,

https://vimeo.com/47984626
    I have only a tangential relationship with pop culture, but I do have a soft spot for old Bouncy. 1,2,3,4...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VNXCzlODSM
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Just googled the latest "Jessica Drake" Trump story.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    HYUFD said:

NY former Police Commissioner Bill Bratton says his sources say Minassian was known to the authorities and it was a terrorist attack

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/alek-minassian-driver-van-hit-pedestrians-toronto-canada/
    Yet another one known to authorities

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

Just googled the latest "Jessica Drake" Trump story.

Were the results interesting*?

* to political punters
  • Options
    Rafael Bahr does write well:

The implied threat to put the government’s survival in the balance has receded but the underlying tension isn’t going away. The parliamentary timetable resembles a densely embroiled chess game. It is one of those brain-aching situations where multiple pieces are all threatening and protecting each other – pawns on knights on bishops on more pawns on rooks. No one in Westminster can see enough moves ahead to know where the advantage will lie in the endgame, after the frenzy of capture and counter-capture has thinned out the board.

May is no grandmaster. The customs union trap was not hard to spot. To the EU she promised an invisible Irish border, and to Tory backbenchers she pledged freedom to diverge from European regulation. Those two things contradict one another.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/23/theresa-may-fantasists-brexit-compromise

• Options
    Oh dear, the Finns aren't on message:

Finland to end basic income trial after two years
    The Finnish finance minister, Petteri Orpo, told Hufvudstadsbladet he was looking into trialling alternative welfare schemes, including a universal credit system similar to that being introduced in the UK, when the basic income pilot ends.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/23/finland-to-end-basic-income-trial-after-two-years
  • Options

The Finnish finance minister, Petteri Orpo, told Hufvudstadsbladet he was looking into trialling alternative welfare schemes, including a universal credit system similar to that being introduced in the UK, when the basic income pilot ends.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/23/finland-to-end-basic-income-trial-after-two-years

It just seems wrong to me to pay people to sit around all day doing nothing, which is undoubtedly what some people would choose to do.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    AndyJS said:

It just seems wrong to me to pay people to sit around all day doing nothing, which is undoubtedly what some people would choose to do.
    Exactly. If you don’t contribute (and you are capable of doing so), the rest of us shouldn’t be responsible for subsidising your lifestyle.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,274
    Anorak said:

Cross your legs, chaps. World's first penis and scrotum transplant:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43873058

Cock and balls story
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Ms Richards hasn't deleted the controversial tweets from her feed:

twitter.com/Mandy4Labour/status/851079439454752768

twitter.com/Mandy4Labour/status/867438384008097798

twitter.com/Mandy4Labour/status/868800197798834176
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

If choosing an appropriate baby name for today, why not Draco?

Or Joffrey.
    https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/988419665570430976
    It wouldn't surprise me. I'm convinced that Kate Middleton planned the death of Princess Diana.
    The law which now prevents younger brothers from leap-frogging older sisters in order of succession to the throne: I want it to be applied retrospectively to all of the Queen's descendants. I want Princess Anne to go ahead of Andrew & Edward, so that Hunky Peter Phillips gets closer to being King than Beatrice & Eugenie would.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    JohnLoony said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

If choosing an appropriate baby name for today, why not Draco?

Or Joffrey.
    https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/988419665570430976
    It wouldn't surprise me. I'm convinced that Kate Middleton planned the death of Princess Diana.
    The law which now prevents younger brothers from leap-frogging older sisters in order of succession to the throne: I want it to be applied retrospectively to all of the Queen's descendants. I want Princess Anne to go ahead of Andrew & Edward, so that Hunky Peter Phillips gets closer to being King than Beatrice & Eugenie would.
    Careful, if they make it too retroactive we could end up with a completely different royal family!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,979
    AndyJS said:

The core economic idea: no benefits for any reason, everybody gets (say) $1,000/month, and all additional income is taxed at 30% is pretty sound - provided that people can't benefit shop, of course.

It makes surprisingly little difference to what you earn at each point on the curve, but has a completely consistent marginal tax rate, and very low collection costs.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ray Donovan.
  • Options
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Yet another one known to authorities

The authorities will know of 10,000 people who are on the spectrum from "once posted in a Jihadi newsroom" to "went to study at a terrorist connected Madrassa in Pakistan". The problem is identifying which of the 10,000 is likely to go renting a van.
This discussion has been closed.