Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ahead of this morning’s YouGov London poll what happened at th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ahead of this morning’s YouGov London poll what happened at the capital’s last elections and the Feb 2018 poll

With so little polling or other hard data ahead of next Thursday’s elections there’s a lot of focus this morning on the new YouGov London Poll from YouGov for QMUL.

Read the full story here

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    edited April 2018
    Firstish ?

Apparently so.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Definitely 2nd.
  • 3rd like Spurs ... ??
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    Off for a coffee and a spot of Pepys.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Voter ID should help the pundits on accuracy.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    I doubt the poll will prove too dramatic, most likely it will just show a slight narrowing of the Labour lead which may be enough for the Tories to keep their most vulnerable councils like Wandsworth and Westminster
    HYUFD said:

I doubt the poll will prove too dramatic, most likely it will just show a slight narrowing of the Labour lead which may be enough for the Tories to keep their most vulnerable councils like Wandsworth and Westminster

Enough to give Owen Jones the vapours?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited April 2018
    On illegal immigration targets of course there were targets, indeed why would anyone think otherwise.

The problem I see is that Amber Rudd seemed clueless on it and to be honest, seems out of her depth at present. TM was strict but if the media think that by attacking Rudd and TM over being strict on illegal immigration is a negative issue, they misjudge the public mood.

Windrush is a absolute disaster and wrong, but too many are conflating the issue with illegal immigration.

As far as I am concerned Amber Rudd's admission that she has known about the problem for months and that she was unable to deal with the target question is as good a reason as any for her to make her own decision to step down

Irrespective her leadership hopes are all but extinguished now

On illegal immigration targets of course there were targets, indeed why would anyone think otherwise.

The problem I see is that Amber Rudd seemed clueless on it and to be honest, seems out of her depth at present. TM was strict but if the media think that by attacking Rudd and TM over being strict on illegal immigration is a negative issue, they misjudge the public mood.

Windrush is a absolute disaster and wrong, but too many are conflating the issue with illegal immigration.

As far as I am concerned Amber Rudd's admission that she has known about the problem for months and that she was unable to deal with the target question is as good a reason as any for her to make her own decision to step down

If Rudd is out, then maybe Hunt's chances are looking better. Speaking for my book.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
  • HYUFD said:

That's a fairly low bar tbh
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Divvie, aye, he should've spotted that. That said, many here have fallen for a parody or suchlike before.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Morning PB.

Is The Mirror alleging Dominic Raab's aide is a sex worker? :open_mouth:
    Mr. Gin, I have already offered my insight on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/MorrisF1/status/989396693249650688
  • On illegal immigration targets of course there were targets, indeed why would anyone think otherwise.

If Rudd is out, then maybe Hunt's chances are looking better. Speaking for my book.
    I am annoyed with Amber and think she may have to go before the HOC today and depending on her answers she may or may not survive. As a conservative member I would not vote for Amber.

On the wider issue of TM successor I think the candidate will come from the new intake and almost certainly be female
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

I am annoyed with Amber and think she may have to go before the HOC today and depending on her answers she may or may not survive. As a conservative member I would not vote for Amber.

On the wider issue of TM successor I think the candidate will come from the new intake and almost certainly be female
    Put your trust in Truss!
  • RoyalBlue said:

Put your trust in Truss!
    One of several to keep an eye on
    Mr. Blue, nay, shall be Mordaunt who succeeds May. This would greatly be pleasing unto the wallet of Morris Dancer.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    edited April 2018

After her disaster with the select committee yesterday I think Ms Rudd needs to do the honourable thing.

Given Hunt is awaiting the outcome of a Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards Investigation on his financial dealings and bar Gove has the worst yougov approval rating of any Cabinet Minister I doubt it. The biggest beneficiary of problems for Rudd, Hunt and Boris is Rees-Mogg unless a new younger figure emerges, Mogg is doing the rubber chicken circuit at the moment and they are selling out fast

HYUFD said:

Here's hoping!

Mr. Blue, nay, shall be Mordaunt who succeeds May. This would greatly be pleasing unto the wallet of Morris Dancer.

In that case I would be well pleased, but sadly would gain no pieces of silver :wink:
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    GIN1138 said:

Morning PB.

Is The Mirror alleging Dominic Raab's aide is a sex worker? :open_mouth:

If he was not charging her rent for the use of that desk, he is a poor type of Tory.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

RoyalBlue said:

Put your trust in Truss!
    In a sane world, Philip Hammond would be clear favourite. When Theresa May steps down, which may not be for a while and possibly with Brexit a fait acoompli, his virtues might have been reappraised even by the nuttier Brexiters.

His odds are far too long in my view. Yes, I have made sure I've got him onside.
    edited April 2018
    Gove, Rudd and Williamson all amassing 5 figure warchests for leadership bids

https://mobile.twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/989408841656922112
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Mordaunt is hopeless.
  • TGOHF said:

Steven Gerrard is the next Rangers manager ? That’s left field..

LA Galaxy and now Sevco, Steve G does like helping out newly formed football teams get on the map.
    edited April 2018

RoyalBlue said:

Put your trust in Truss!
    In a sane world, Philip Hammond would be clear favourite. When Theresa May steps down, which may not be for a while and possibly with Brexit a fait acoompli, his virtues might have been reappraised even by the nuttier Brexiters.

His odds are far too long in my view. Yes, I have made sure I've got him onside.
    If by sane, you mean one populated by androids (without emotion chips).

In an ideal world, it would be Gove. Brexiteers need a prophet to deliver us to Israel (or Palestine for Labour supporters) from out of the bonds of the Common Commercial Policy.
  • Infinity War. OMG.

About to watch it again.
    Miss Anazina, thy dark countenance and doom-mongering sways me not!
  • Mr. Blue, nay, shall be Mordaunt who succeeds May. This would greatly be pleasing unto the wallet of Morris Dancer.

It is going to be Jeremy Hunt and you all know it.
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Put your trust in Truss!

In an ideal world, it would be Gove. Perhaps it shall be...
    By sane, I mean fitted to take over as Prime Minister by virtue of long experience of the highest levels of government.

Michael Gove would be my second favourite, neck and neck with Jeremy Hunt. Amber Rudd would have been in that pack until this week (though I doubt in reality this week's events will have done her much harm with her electorate).

Boris Johnson is the wildcard. Right now his bubble looks to have burst definitively.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited April 2018

Racist. :)
  • HYUFD said:

Gove, Rudd and Williamson all amassing 5 figure warchests for leadership bids

https://mobile.twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/989408841656922112

Waste of money for Rudd and Williamson

Somewhat unfortunate choice of words... are you Amber Rudd’s special advisor?
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881

He's so unpopular with the members if the Con Home polls are to be believed.
    If we end up staying in the customs union/soft Brexit - he is going to be the fall guy who gets blamed. If we get hard Brexit and the economy deteriorates - he is going to be blamed.

Struggling to imagine a future where the Con membership views him positively enough to make him leader.
    edited April 2018
    Mr. Eagles, Hunt is acceptable, though only pleasing to a goodly measure for mine coffers.

I also have the feeling your local cinema has a seat perfectly moulded to you.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Blue/Mr. Walker, oh, piffle and pish to your trembling over-sensitivity.

"Countenance comes from a French word for "behavior," but it has become a fancy term for either the expression of a face or the face itself: "He had a puzzled countenance," or "what a charming countenance!" Countenance can also be a verb meaning to tolerate or approve." [From googling the expression]
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    The have been some huge fluctuations ins the QMUL polling
  • Mr. Eagles, Hunt is acceptable, though only pleasing to a goodly measure for mine coffers.

They do. I live near the country’s best cinema.
    rkrkrk said:

If we end up staying in the customs union/soft Brexit - he is going to be the fall guy who gets blamed. If we get hard Brexit and the economy deteriorates - he is going to be blamed.

Struggling to imagine a future where the Con membership views him positively enough to make him leader.
    Alistair Darling was 100/1 to succeed Gordon Brown at one point. When the contest came around, he was looking like a very credible contender when he announced his intention not to stand.

The Conservative membership is currently blinded by Brexit. There will come a point - hard to imagine I know, but bear with me - when they realise that Brexit isn't everything. At that point, Philip Hammond will be reappraised at least partially. The question is how much and whether that's before the next leadership election.
    on a point of order the council is Sutton (no Cheam)
    edited April 2018

Labour Whips
    ‏Verified account @labourwhips
    13m13 minutes ago

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Put your trust in Truss!

In an ideal world, it would be Gove. Perhaps it shall be...
    By sane, I mean fitted to take over as Prime Minister by virtue of long experience of the highest levels of government.

Michael Gove would be my second favourite, neck and neck with Jeremy Hunt. Amber Rudd would have been in that pack until this week (though I doubt in reality this week's events will have done her much harm with her electorate).

Boris Johnson is the wildcard. Right now his bubble looks to have burst definitively.
    I certainly think that remainers (Hammond, Hunt, Davidson) quite apart from anything else need Brexit to be a fait accompli
  • Diane Abbott has UQ request granted on Amber Rudd at 10.30am

That's Rudd safe then
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

TGOHF said:

LA Galaxy and now Sevco, Steve G does like helping out newly formed football teams get on the map.
    Glasgow Rangers have a serious problem with sectarianism. Until they eject the flag waving bigots I would advise anyone who values their own reputation to steer clear. They are a great club with many decent fans ruined by a hardcore rightwing following.

Mr. Eagles, Hunt is acceptable, though only pleasing to a goodly measure for mine coffers.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Blue/Mr. Walker, oh, piffle and pish to your trembling over-sensitivity.

"Countenance comes from a French word for "behavior," but it has become a fancy term for either the expression of a face or the face itself: "He had a puzzled countenance," or "what a charming countenance!" Countenance can also be a verb meaning to tolerate or approve." [From googling the expression]

We were both joking you silly billy :smile:
    edited April 2018
    Mr. Meeks, not the same odds, but a similar thing happened with Swinson.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Blue, aye. But some would take that nonsense seriously... alas.

Mr. Meeks, not the same odds, but a similar thing happened with Swinson.

I know people who made a very tidy sum indeed backing Vince Cable to follow Tim Farron. I'm kicking myself that I didn't follow them because their logic was impeccable and came to pass.

Diane Abbott has UQ request granted on Amber Rudd at 10.30am

That's Rudd safe then

It's about quotas. Rudd will say no doubt that "measures are not taken arbitrarily to meet targets" and everyone will move on.

A strong majority of British people would encourage the deportation of illegal immigrants.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881

rkrkrk said:

Alistair Darling was 100/1 to succeed Gordon Brown at one point. When the contest came around, he was looking like a very credible contender when he announced his intention not to stand.

The Conservative membership is currently blinded by Brexit. There will come a point - hard to imagine I know, but bear with me - when they realise that Brexit isn't everything. At that point, Philip Hammond will be reappraised at least partially. The question is how much and whether that's before the next leadership election.
    You make good points.
    My view of Hammond's provocative stance to the Brexiteers was basically that he'd given up on any leadership ambitions and was trying to be a good chancellor.
    I haven't bet against him. My book is +ve the field and only negative a few (Priti Patel, Damian Green, and by far the worst JRM)
    Mr. Meeks, I only made a little but got very lucky with timing. I'd backed Swinson the day before Farron announced he was stepping down. Her odds tumbled and I hedged. After that, excepting Davey (I think) I was online and heard live as each chap declined to stand, so I kept backing the remaining candidates before the bookies could update the odds :)
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

You make good points.
    My view of Hammond's provocative stance to the Brexiteers was basically that he'd given up on any leadership ambitions and was trying to be a good chancellor.
    I haven't bet against him. My book is +ve the field and only negative a few (Priti Patel, Damian Green, and by far the worst JRM)
    Basically my book as well.

I thin you can do worse than focus on those people who WANT to be PM. At least WIlliamson WANTS to be PM, which is much more than a few similarly priced contenders
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

You make good points.

I thin you can do worse than focus on those people who WANT to be PM. At least WIlliamson WANTS to be PM, which is much more than a few similarly priced contenders
    Just remember, Michael Gove said he didn't want to be PM during the EU referendum.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

That's Rudd safe then

I think Labour are making a mistake to focus on illegal immigration.
    tlg86 said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

You make good points.

Just remember, Michael Gove said he didn't want to be PM during the EU referendum.
    I don't think he every started, back then.
    Now might be different.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Interesting listening to a presentation by Google. Be afraid be very afraid.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    Anazina said:

TGOHF said:

Glasgow Rangers have a serious problem with sectarianism. Until they eject the flag waving bigots I would advise anyone who values their own reputation to steer clear. They are a great club with many decent fans ruined by a hardcore rightwing following.
    At the risk of torturing a metaphor, a bit like Leavers and the fruitcakes, racists and loonies that inconveniently got them over the line. The flag waving bigots represent a very handy chunk of season ticket money; can the 'The Rangers' afford to alienate them?

TGOHF said:

Your Sevco patter is a bit 2012 - you need to check out the #Res12 moonhowling if you want to be down with the inbred kids on the street.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/26/security-alert-after-housing-ministers-aide-caught-in-sex-website-sting

No comment on the story but the photo of Dominic Raab makes him look like he's the lead in a US drama!!
    Soubry's tea is out

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/25/dup-threatens-bring-theresa-mays-government-climbs-brexit/

The DUP has warned it will bring down Theresa May's Government if Northern Ireland is forced to stay in the Single Market or Customs Union after Brexit.

Nigel Dodds, the leader of the Democratic Unionist Party at Westminster, said his party would vote against the Government if any of its "red lines" on Brexit were crossed.

on a point of order the council is Sutton (no Cheam)
    Sutton is already LD and a Tory target
    TGOHF said:

Soubry's tea is out

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/25/dup-threatens-bring-theresa-mays-government-climbs-brexit/

The DUP has warned it will bring down Theresa May's Government if Northern Ireland is forced to stay in the Single Market or Customs Union after Brexit.

Nigel Dodds, the leader of the Democratic Unionist Party at Westminster, said his party would vote against the Government if any of its "red lines" on Brexit were crossed.

The DUP has to threaten to; that's where it gets its political capital from. If it made clear it would NEVER vote against the government, they might as well be Tory MPs.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    DavidL said:

I know that letters were sent to every Judge "reminding" them that what is called a "plane Stopper", where the Court grants an interim order preventing a removal, cost the country more than £10,000 and that such orders should not be granted lightly. The cost of the flight included the cost of the staff who went with the deportee.

At the present time estimates of the number of illegal immigrants in the UK vary between 450k and 850k. It is, as they say, a target rich environment. Why on earth would the HO not have targets for expulsions given the present backlog will take between 10 and 20 years at the current rate? If Rudd really doesn't have targets now there is something far wrong with the way she runs her department. The number of expulsions actually achieved, roughly 40k a year, is pathetic given the money spent.

Which is the true scandal of Windrush. Someone deported is a result. No-one cares that there are human beings who have made their lives here and are vulnerable and scared. It's all about the numbers.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Greetings from foreign parts - anyone else having problems logging into HSBC....online seems to be down and when I got through on the phone the lady on the other end said 'everythings fine'...but then left me holding as her screen refused to load.....
    TGOHF said:

Soubry's tea is out

Neither Nigel Dodds nor Anna Soubry would have any particular problem with the whole of the UK being in the customs union.

TGOHF said:

Soubry's tea is out

The DUP has to threaten to; that's where it gets its political capital from. If it made clear it would NEVER vote against the government, they might as well be Tory MPs.
    Very helpful to May actually.

If Soubry and Clarke want to go down in history as the Con MPs that let in Corbyn then good luck.
    edited April 2018
    And on topic...

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/989418745507598337

titter....

Today we should be getting the final YouGov poll for Queen Mary University for the London local elections a week today. I’m not sure whether Owen Jones has reliable informants at either institution, but he tweeted earlier this week that a “bad” poll for Labour was coming.

You gov London poll out at 11am apparently.
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Anyone else get the strong sense we're marching up the hill only to march back down again?
    TGOHF said:

Soubry's tea is out

It seems to me they are saying if Northern Ireland has to stay in a customs union and single market, then the mainland will have to do the same. Could the DUP end up killing off a meaningful Brexit?
    You'd think this poll was gold!!! As I say there have been some big swings in previous polls for QMUL, which is I think both a product of the electorate (particularly a chunk who are relatively young, affluent, but pro-Remain) and the nature of the polling

Greetings from foreign parts - anyone else having problems logging into HSBC....online seems to be down and when I got through on the phone the lady on the other end said 'everythings fine'...but then left me holding as her screen refused to load.....

Mad Vlad up to his usual tricks?
    And on topic...

Mad Vlad up to his usual tricks?
    Did cross my mind.....
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

And on topic...

titter....

Today we should be getting the final YouGov poll for Queen Mary University for the London local elections a week today. I’m not sure whether Owen Jones has reliable informants at either institution, but he tweeted earlier this week that a “bad” poll for Labour was coming.

I'd be very surprised if it didn't put Labour at least 10% ahead.
    edited April 2018

That's Rudd safe then

As of this morning of the leading leadership contenders Rudd is still ahead on -34%, then Boris on -37% then Rees-Mogg on -38%, Williamson is on -57%, Hunt is on -63%

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Amber_Rudd

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Boris_Johnson

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Jacob_Rees_Mogg

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Gavin_Williamson

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Jeremy_Hunt
    Sean_F said:

And on topic...

titter....

10pp ahead would be terrible
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Soubry's tea is out

Very helpful to May actually.

If Soubry and Clarke want to go down in history as the Con MPs that let in Corbyn then good luck.
    Compared to Cameron being the Tory PM who let in May?
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    felix said:

That's Rudd safe then

Just to prove these nutcases will not be cracking down on any immigration.
    edited April 2018
    HYUFD said:

That's Rudd safe then

As of this morning of the leading leadership contenders Rudd is still ahead on -34%, then Boris on -37% then Rees-Mogg on -38%, Williamson is on -57%, Hunt is on -63%

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Amber_Rudd

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Boris_Johnson

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Jacob_Rees_Mogg

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Gavin_Williamson

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Jeremy_Hunt
    Gove is on -67%, May on -43%. So Rudd, Mogg and Boris do better than May, Williamson, Hunt and Gove do worse.

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Michael_Gove

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/browse/Theresa_May
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019

rkrkrk said:

I know you might not believe me, but this honestly has nothing to do with his views on Brexit: Hammond offers nothing May doesn’t.

He has a political tin ear, and lacks people skills and empathy. He is very cerebral and more mathematical, and he’s a bit better at answering questions, but they are otherwise two very similar people. His flaws come across in Fallout, and I’ve had that corroborated by a friend who used to work for him.

Davidson, Hunt or Hinds are all Remainers who’d make much better candidates, even though they have tougher routes to the premiership.
    Sean_F said:

And on topic...

titter....

Per Number Cruncher:

What would “bad” mean? So far there have been two YouGov/QMUL London polls, both putting Labour about 25 points ahead on council voting intention. That would equate to a swing to Labour of about 6 per cent from 2014. The national polls have shifted slightly since these polls were done, so that might imply that the swing has fallen to 4-5 per cent.

That would be smaller than the London swing between the 2015 and 2017 general elections, which was 6.3 per cent. But crucially (as far as the narrative is concerned) it would mean – if the swing were even across the capital – that Labour would fall short in all but one of its target boroughs.

rkrkrk said:

I know you might not believe me, but this honestly has nothing to do with his views on Brexit: Hammond offers nothing May doesn’t.

He has a political tin ear, and lacks people skills and empathy. He is very cerebral and more mathematical, and he’s a bit better at answering questions, but they are otherwise two very similar people. His flaws come across in Fallout, and I’ve had that corroborated by a friend who used to work for him.

Davidson, Hunt or Hinds are all Remainers who’d make much better candidates, even though they have tougher routes to the premiership.
    Hammond has neither the personality, the friends or the minerals to win a leadership election.
    It's a bit difficult for foaming Leavers to proclaim how much they hate the EU and then turn round to complain that for some reason they're having difficulty getting EU member states to continue to co-operate with them on other matters.

It's almost as if Brexit was designed to disrupt co-operation between European states on every level.

rkrkrk said:

The first seven words were sufficient.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Sean_F said:

And on topic...

titter....

10pp ahead would be terrible
    It would only be bad compared to expectations. By comparison, the Conservatives led by 10% in 1978, and Labour led by 10% in 1994.

Sean_F said:

And on topic...

titter....

Per Number Cruncher:

What would “bad” mean? So far there have been two YouGov/QMUL London polls, both putting Labour about 25 points ahead on council voting intention. That would equate to a swing to Labour of about 6 per cent from 2014. The national polls have shifted slightly since these polls were done, so that might imply that the swing has fallen to 4-5 per cent.

That would be smaller than the London swing between the 2015 and 2017 general elections, which was 6.3 per cent. But crucially (as far as the narrative is concerned) it would mean – if the swing were even across the capital – that Labour would fall short in all but one of its target boroughs.
    So Labour likely to be 20+ points ahead in London on this poll ?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

felix said:

That's Rudd safe then

Like Big G upthread I don’t think the British people like illegal immigration at all and they’re not that keen on immigration atnyway. However if there is one defining characteristic of the English it is that they don’t like injustice. Something to do with the rule of law.

And injustice and unfairness are the defining characteristics of the Windrush (etc) scandal.
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

rkrkrk said:

Hammond is the man known round the office as 'CHEESE DICK'.

There's no coming back from that.
    The swing won't be even across the capital. There are areas of London where the Conservatives should be gaining seats.
    Mr. Fenster, Oliver Cromwell's successor and son was known as Queen Dick. His rule was neither long nor glorious.
    The 2014 results Mike uses above are on total votes, which makes comparison much more difficult. The 2014 results on a highest vote basis were 37.4% to 26.1% which should be more comparable.

It's a bit difficult for foaming Leavers to proclaim how much they hate the EU and then turn round to complain that for some reason they're having difficulty getting EU member states to continue to co-operate with them on other matters.
    Its a bit difficult for foaming Remainers to demand we unilaterally offer things like security treaties or citizens rights then act astonished when the EU banks the proposal and simply asks for more.

Its almost as if they believe only the UK acts in bad faith....
  • The standard of journalism at Sky is so poor. They do not seem to understand the difference between illegal immigration and Windrush. Samantha Jane Mee interviewed the daughter of Clayton Barnes who left the UK in 2010 and was refused re-entry in 2013. Mee asked Clayton Barnes daughter if the Home Office had been in touch and the daughter affirmed they had but was annoyed because the home office asked her for her father's name and she responded by saying because he had been on television they should know. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Both Mee and the daughter wanted instant answers on compensation which I understand will need legislation to be put in place
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

Its a bit difficult for foaming Remainers to demand we unilaterally offer things like security treaties or citizens rights then act astonished when the EU banks the proposal and simply asks for more.

Its almost as if they believe only the UK acts in bad faith....
    And yet, it appears that the U.K. is doing all the asking.

The standard of journalism at Sky is so poor. They do not seem to understand the difference between illegal immigration and Windrush. Samantha Jane Mee interviewed the daughter of Clayton Barnes who left the UK in 2010 and was refused re-entry in 2013. Mee asked Clayton Barnes daughter if the Home Office had been in touch and the daughter affirmed they had but was annoyed because the home office asked her for her father's name and she responded by saying because he had been on television they should know. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Both Mee and the daughter wanted instant answers on compensation which I understand will need legislation to be put in place

Sky news has gone full Guardian lefty libtard handwringer - unwatchable these days.

edited April 2018
    Mr. NorthWales, *Sarah Jane Mee.

That does sound reminiscent of when Sky wet itself because the Coalition Government hadn't magically evacuated every British oil worker from Libya. There was a fun moment on Sky a few years ago (the old hand who made the comment has, like most others, since left) when a reporter trying to drum up sympathy for the migrant tide reported on how far they'd travelled and how many countries they'd gone through. The old hand in the studio commented that at that point they weren't refugees but shopping for the country of their choice (or words to that effect).

Edited extra bit: Mr. Flashman (deceased), it's far to the left of the BBC most of the time. Faisal Islam is not impressive (0.1% spike in inflation etc), and it's unfortunate that the excellent Tim Marshall left (for foreign affairs what Andrew Neil is for domestic politics). Mind you, ITV's got the Paul Brand, the political jester who reckoned the Grenfell fire raises questions about what sort of country we are and who governs us, and who nodded approvingly during a soft interview with someone who wanted different entry requirements to Oxbridge based on background. Worst of all was the Russian propaganda that was spun when Porton Down "couldn't identify" Russia as the source of the nerve agent. Which isn't their job. And which ITV News said, the preceding night, wasn't their job.

Annoyingly, all broadcast media is at least a bit suspect. ITV did, apparently, cover the anti-Semitism debate properly. Sky didn't mention it, reportedly, and the BBC buried it at the end (and covering it only briefly) of their news at ten.
  • felix said:

That's Rudd safe then

Like Big G upthread I don’t think the British people like illegal immigration at all and they’re not that keen on immigration atnyway. However if there is one defining characteristic of the English it is that they don’t like injustice. Something to do with the rule of law.

And injustice and unfairness are the defining characteristics of the Windrush (etc) scandal.
    Absolutely agree and Windrush needs dealing with urgently but the media and labour are turning this into an argument on immigration more widely and that will not be popular
This discussion has been closed.