Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It is clear someone is leaking to damage Amber Rudd and I thin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited April 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It is clear someone is leaking to damage Amber Rudd and I think she’s toast

BREAKING: Amber Rudd letter to PM reveals 'ambitious but deliverable' removals target https://t.co/pCV3WHqHsd

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Didn't I see something today Numbr10 denying the immigration story.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    Hello all:

I've decided to start posting on Twitter from time to time. So if you could all follow me, my 'handle' (or whatever it's called) is

@marketwarbles
  • Options
    On the subject of Twitter, is this true?

https://twitter.com/wjharte/status/990626655663280128

Or has someone just made it up?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Sometimes I think these threads are just put up to troll me D:
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    I agree - Javid is very well placed to succeed.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    Is Rudd officially 'beleaguered' yet?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    That immigration deal would be explosive, effectively rendering Brexit a hollow mockery. Surely Theresa would never go that far.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

That immigration deal would be explosive, effectively rendering Brexit a hollow mockery. Surely Theresa would never go that far.

She's finished if it's just another name for what we have now.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    rcs1000 said:

There's no way the civil service would get away with bonuses like that.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    F1: no further action against Perez. No word that I can see on Raikkonen yet.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Is Rudd officially 'beleaguered' yet?

I think she has received full backing from the board.

She is getting on with the day job.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    "another leak confirmed that Amber Rudd is going to offer a post Brexit freedom of movement" - I think you mean Theresa May?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited April 2018
    Yep just a bunch of anti Tory hacks trying to get a decent hard working woman the sack.
    Hurrah for Hodges impartiality.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    Off-topic:

Watch a suborbital rocket launch and landing in a minute at: https://www.blueorigin.com/#youtubeZUV53Nn3PhA
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221
    I think she will survive, but agree Javid is the replacement. Although BF punters think Hunt (small market - Javid not even on it)
  • Options

My guess is that they'll put something in place like that between the US and Canada, where firms have to register, and then can go to an online portal and effectively issue a registered job offer to a Canadian.

In other words, EU countries will have "preferential" access to the UK (and vice-versa), but it will stem the flow of low skilled workers.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630
    Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

There's no way the civil service would get away with bonuses like that.
    https://twitter.com/wjharte/status/990635816266489857?s=19
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

F1: no further action against Perez. No word that I can see on Raikkonen yet.

NFA for Raikkonen too.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Off-topic:

Watch a suborbital rocket launch and landing in a minute at: https://www.blueorigin.com/#youtubeZUV53Nn3PhA

That was cool. Quite different in approach to SpaceX but with similar results of getting everything back to Earth afterwards.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Sandpit, unfortunate, but thanks for letting me know about that.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

That was cool. Quite different in approach to SpaceX but with similar results of getting everything back to Earth afterwards.
    Yeah, it's cool. And it'll probably be taking people up for trips later this year: a very expensive and high ten-minute trip! And no, I don't want to go, even if I could afford it ...

I really like Blue Origin, despite some of their silliness. They've got very different aims to SpaceX and have vastly different funding schemes, but both require cheap access to space. As far as I'm concerned that's good for humanity.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Yeah, it's cool. And it'll probably be taking people up for trips later this year: a very expensive and high ten-minute trip! And no, I don't want to go, even if I could afford it ...

I really like Blue Origin, despite some of their silliness. They've got very different aims to SpaceX and have vastly different funding schemes, but both require cheap access to space. As far as I'm concerned that's good for humanity.
    Ummm... Do you know how expensive?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

I think she will survive, but agree Javid is the replacement. Although BF punters think Hunt (small market - Javid not even on it)

I did wonder about Hunt because we know the PM tried to shift him from health, and the Home Office might well tempt him. But I'm not sure promotion was what she had in mind.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

As far as I'm aware they haven't said yet, but I'd expect little change from $200k.

Although if Virgin ever get Spaceship 2 working, there should be some interesting choices and competition: do you want to experience weightlessness in a rocket plane or a capsule?

More info from Blue here:
    https://www.blueorigin.com/astronaut-experience
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

My guess is that they'll put something in place like that between the US and Canada, where firms have to register, and then can go to an online portal and effectively issue a registered job offer to a Canadian.

In other words, EU countries will have "preferential" access to the UK (and vice-versa), but it will stem the flow of low skilled workers.
    If it is limited to high skilled workers, she could get away with it. If low skill workers can still come in huge numbers, May will lose her premiership.
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    Where can you bet on Javid? Nothing on Betfair?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    edited April 2018
    Re the postscript - would Javid take the Home Office? Only one HS has gone directly on to be PM in the last 150 years (and only four in total, one of them thirty years later). He's clearly ambitious. Would he really take what has almost always proven a political graveyard? I'm doubtful. If it were the Treasury he'd bite May's hand off.

I'm also intrigued that Rudd is being so heavily briefed against. It almost looks personal rather than political. If so, May will be very loath to part with her. Moreover, since New Labour and Brown, Byers and Blair himself a precedent has been set that Ministers who mislead the House in error (Blair) through forgetfulness (Brown) or even because they are dishonest morons who lie, cheat and take money not because they need to but because it's in their nature (Byers) don't actually have to resign.

That's a fairly damning indictment of the standards of old Mr Whiter than White, and I think Rudd should go. I'm just sceptical if she will.

Edit - looking at the time Byers misled the House 15 years ago, what's really amusing in this context is the reaction of his Conservative Shadow:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1393505/Byers-admits-misleading-MPs-in-Sixsmith-affair.html

Guess who it was?
  • Options
    Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

If it is limited to high skilled workers, she could get away with it. If low skill workers can still come in huge numbers, May will lose her premiership.
    But we all know that the economy depends upon cheap, non-skilled labour, so I suspect that if they introduced such a scheme then bar tender, warehouse operative and fruit picker would suddenly be given a more illustrious status.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

Win-win?

Unless I suppose her replacement is the Jezaster...
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    "The optics of a non white son of a immigrant Windrush generation bus driver trying to sort out the Windrush deportations mess are appealing."

Isn't that the sort of tokenism that demeans politics? If he gets the job that is fine if it is on ability. If he gets it because he is an ethnic minority with an interesting cover story I am not so sure it is a good idea. People are heartily sick of the Blairite/Cameron spin on things - they take us all for mugs who cannot see the smoke and mirrors. I think we live in a post spin age, Cameron/Osborne taunted Brown about him being PM in a digital age but having analogue presentation skills. I think many of todays politicians and commentators have a similar disconnect. The game has changed and those who seek to lead do not even notice the difference!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

Low skilled workers are much, much less likely to be in salaried employment, and are much more likely to be "cash in hand", so I think it would likely have a significant effect, even if it was theoretically open to all. (Assuming, of course, that the British government started cracking down on the 'cash in hand economy' - which is long overdue.)

We currently have "open borders" with the EU, and net migration in the year to September 2007 was 90,000 (against 205,000 from non-EU countries). That 90,000 was made up of 220,000 coming here and 130,000 leaving. (All stats from Migration Watch.)

My guess is that the number returning home would remain fairly constant in this scenario, but you'd probably see the number coming fall by a third or so. That would make net EU migration a fairly negligable number: perhaps only an eighth of the level of non-EU migration.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Re the postscript - would Javid take the Home Office? Only one HS has gone directly on to be PM in the last 150 years (and only four in total, one of them thirty years later). He's clearly ambitious. Would he really take what has almost always proven a political graveyard? I'm doubtful. If it were the Treasury he'd bite May's hand off.

I'm also intrigued that Rudd is being so heavily briefed against. It almost looks personal rather than political. If so, May will be very loath to part with her. Moreover, since New Labour and Brown, Byers and Blair himself a precedent has been set that Ministers who mislead the House in error (Blair) through forgetfulness (Brown) or even because they are dishonest morons who lie, cheat and take money not because they need to but because it's in their nature (Byers) don't actually have to resign.

That's a fairly damning indictment of the standards of old Mr Whiter than White, and I think Rudd should go. I'm just sceptical if she will.

The logic for him taking the Home Office job was that Theresa May could fall within days (over the customs union for example) and Javid won't be in office long enough to get doomed at the Home Department. But by being Home Secretary he becomes a credible contender to be PM if May goes in the next few months.
  • Options

"The optics of a non white son of a immigrant Windrush generation bus driver trying to sort out the Windrush deportations mess are appealing."

Isn't that the sort of tokenism that demeans politics? If he gets the job that is fine if it is on ability. If he gets it because he is an ethnic minority with an interesting cover story I am not so sure it is a good idea. People are heartily sick of the Blairite/Cameron spin on things - they take us all for mugs who cannot see the smoke and mirrors. I think we live in a post spin age, Cameron/Osborne taunted Brown about him being PM in a digital age but having analogue presentation skills. I think many of todays politicians and commentators have a similar disconnect. The game has changed and those who seek to lead do not even notice the difference!

It would be tokenism if he wasn't qualified for the job, he is eminently qualified to be Home Secretary.
  • Options

It would be tokenism if he wasn't qualified for the job, he is eminently qualified to be Home Secretary.
    He's not been a successful Minister but has too big a following within the party to be totally ignored?

That seems to be the usual qualification...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

Low skilled workers are much, much less likely to be in salaried employment, and are much more likely to be "cash in hand", so I think it would likely have a significant effect, even if it was theoretically open to all. (Assuming, of course, that the British government started cracking down on the 'cash in hand economy' - which is long overdue.)

We currently have "open borders" with the EU, and net migration in the year to September 2007 was 90,000 (against 205,000 from non-EU countries). That 90,000 was made up of 220,000 coming here and 130,000 leaving. (All stats from Migration Watch.)

My guess is that the number returning home would remain fairly constant in this scenario, but you'd probably see the number coming fall by a third or so. That would make net EU migration a fairly negligable number: perhaps only an eighth of the level of non-EU migration.
    Is there much 'cash in hand' work in Britain these days? When I was a benefit-fraud investigator in the 1990s I can't recall a single fraudster who wasn't on the books.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630
    rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

Highly skilled migrants (such as Doctors and Nurses) require continuing automatic recognition of EEA qualifications as exists at present. That would seem sensible, but is a nessecary condition.

Presumably reciprococity in terms of work in the EU could be agreed, but for retirees may be more problematic, unless that too was mutual.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

Is there much 'cash in hand' work in Britain these days? When I was a benefit-fraud investigator in the 1990s I can't recall a single fraudster who wasn't on the books.
    Most builders offer discounts for cash in hand, I believe.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

Ah, you mean the self-employed on the fiddle. I thought you meant employers paying cash in hand to avoid NI contributions, insurance etc.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

Ah, you mean the self-employed on the fiddle. I thought you meant employers paying cash in hand to avoid NI contributions, insurance etc.
    I think that happens in the building trade too. Are there eight guys on the site or six?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    I said the game was up for Ms. Rudd on Friday.

She'll resign this week.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Sajid Javid is doing a good job as the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government and is currently in the middle of some serious leasehold/property management reform. I would really rather he finished what he started!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If Amber Rudd does go, her replacement will be someone ldesigned to douse things down but keep on the track set by Theresa May and loyal. Sajid Javid is possible but I would have thought Esther McVey or David Livingston were more likely.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

She'll resign this week.

Are you saying that because of illegal immigration targets or you see her as a threat to Brexit

You may be right but on balance I think she will stay in post
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Sajid Javid is doing a good job as the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government and is currently in the middle of some serious leasehold/property management reform. I would really rather he finished what he started!

Since when does ministerial competence and continuity outplay political expediency...

Sajid Javid is one of the very few Tories that could turn my head to the blues
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

I believe Bezon has offered Trump a free seat....
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,297
    edited April 2018
    tyson said:

Since when does ministerial competence and continuity outplay political expediency...

Sajid Javid is one of the very few Tories that could turn my head to the blues
    I thought I was one as well Tyson !!!!!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

I believe Bezon has offered Trump a free seat....
    Is that a single or a return?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

GIN1138 said:

She'll resign this week.

Are you saying that because of illegal immigration targets or you see her as a threat to Brexit

O/T Big G...but as much as I love what Man City have done this year, the remaining games at the top of the table have all the feel of friendlies..The Utd/Arsenal match had the intensity of a Theresa May speech....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Edit - looking at the time Byers misled the House 15 years ago, what's really amusing in this context is the reaction of his Conservative Shadow:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1393505/Byers-admits-misleading-MPs-in-Sixsmith-affair.html

Guess who it was?

And a great quote...
    “This latest revelation suggests (Mr Byers/insert name as applicable) either misled Parliament, the press and the public, or that he has no grip on his/her department.
    "Either way (s)he must now come to the House of Commons and answer allegations that (s)he misled MPs."
  • Options
    tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

She'll resign this week.

O/T Big G...but as much as I love what Man City have done this year, the remaining games at the top of the table have all the feel of friendlies..The Utd/Arsenal match had the intensity of a Theresa May speech....
    It was poor but the result puts Utd in the champions league and 4 points out of the next 9 gives them runners up with only Brighton and West Ham away and Watford at home
  • Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

I believe Bezos has offered Trump a free seat....
    Is that a single or a return?
    I think they’re planning to recover the launch vehicle, but there’s always the possibility of an EVA...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    How about Amber Rudd and Anna Soubry do a job swap?
  • Options

100/1 with Shadsy
  • Options

100/1 with Shadsy
    I'll offer 250/1 - but has to happen by the end of the week.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Seems like there is a lot of big money mergers going on at the minute,

T-Mobile agrees $26bn mega-merger with Sprint

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43943848
  • Options
    I'm off to the inaugural LAFC home game tonight. What's really shocking is that it's only a 25,000 seater stadium.
  • Options
    Rudd goes over Windrush the spotlight goes straight onto May - who after all is the person who was responsible. Rudd has done a stellar job taking the flack for the PM but the absurdity of Tory MPs defending lie after lie after lie cant go on, no matter how much they want to avoid the likely civil war
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Rudd may be a loss to May and the deluded remainers but no loss to the country or the Conservatives.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    This is fun - EU to dictate policy or no hand outs.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/29/eu-considering-freeze-subsidies-illiberal-member-states/

Under proposals to be unveiled in Brussels this week by Guenther Oettinger, the EU’s budget commissioner, Eastern EU states like Poland and Hungary could feel a financial squeeze if they were deemed to have failed to live up to the founding values of the EU.
  • Options

Rudd goes over Windrush the spotlight goes straight onto May - who after all is the person who was responsible. Rudd has done a stellar job taking the flack for the PM but the absurdity of Tory MPs defending lie after lie after lie cant go on, no matter how much they want to avoid the likely civil war

Stephen Byers managed a month. I think Rudd will be similar.

Brown managed 13 years of course, but he was quite exceptionally limpet like!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Guess who it was?

And a great quote...
    “This latest revelation suggests (Mr Byers/insert name as applicable) either misled Parliament, the press and the public, or that he has no grip on his/her department.
    "Either way (s)he must now come to the House of Commons and answer allegations that (s)he misled MPs."
    Do you think the Conservative Shadow May have changed her views? :smiley:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2018
    TGOHF said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/29/eu-considering-freeze-subsidies-illiberal-member-states/

Under proposals to be unveiled in Brussels this week by Guenther Oettinger, the EU’s budget commissioner, Eastern EU states like Poland and Hungary could feel a financial squeeze if they were deemed to have failed to live up to the founding values of the EU.

The EU is run like many golf clubs, there is an illusion of democracy and a whole host of commitiees, but ultimately all important decisions are taken by a very small cabal of people and they fix it so it is nearly impossible to remove them from their positions.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

What would they say about a country where the security services spent their time harassing the opposition? Although the PM at the time knew absolutely nothing about it, honestly he didn't.

Would that mean no more freebies?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153
    TGOHF said:

Because of Brexit.
    He's the Commissioner for the EU budget. Cutting down on Cohesion Funds.
    "We will not accept arbitrary mechanisms which will make the funds an instrument of political pressure, Poland's deputy European affairs minister Konrad Szymanski said."
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited April 2018

GIN1138 said:

She'll resign this week.

Because of the Windrush scandal.

It's been a daily drip, drip, drip of revelations and each one gets worse and worse.

This isn't going away and my general rule of thumb is that if a SoS doesn't "close down" a scandal within a week they are usually toast in the end...

This has been rumbling on and getting worse and worse for well over a week now so...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Evening all :)

A busy weekend and I'm still catching up with things.

On matters Korean, why has Kim Yong-Il come to the negotiating table ? I've read two wildly differing hypotheses:

a) he has his nuclear deterrent so has no real fear of attack from the US or China. As a result, he can show diplomatic largesse to his neighbours from a position of strength while Washington will adapt to Pyonygang having nuclear weapons just as it did when first Communist China and later the unstable Pakistan also got the Bomb.

b) his nuclear weapons facility is in ruins and his advantage lost. With his regime under real threat, Kim has been persuaded by those round him to tone down the rhetoric and seek a rapprochement with Beijing and Seoul. For a quiet life, Kim can continue to enjoy his lavish lifestyle and for the next 50 years live a life of luxury while his people continue to be brutalised and the rest of the world does nothing.

I can see a lot of positives for Kim, his coterie, for South Korea, Japan and China if the rhetoric is toned down and tensions are eased. Positives too for Washington - indeed, the only losers look to be the North Korean people who look condemned to continued brutality at the hands of the ludicrous Juche philosophy and their Government but no one else seems that bothered.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    stodge said:

On matters Korean, why has Kim Yong-Il come to the negotiating table ? I've read two wildly differing hypotheses:

a) he has his nuclear deterrent so has no real fear of attack from the US or China. As a result, he can show diplomatic largesse to his neighbours from a position of strength while Washington will adapt to Pyonygang having nuclear weapons just as it did when first Communist China and later the unstable Pakistan also got the Bomb.

b) his nuclear weapons facility is in ruins and his advantage lost. With his regime under real threat, Kim has been persuaded by those round him to tone down the rhetoric and seek a rapprochement with Beijing and Seoul. For a quiet life, Kim can continue to enjoy his lavish lifestyle and for the next 50 years live a life of luxury while his people continue to be brutalised and the rest of the world does nothing.

I can see a lot of positives for Kim, his coterie, for South Korea, Japan and China if the rhetoric is toned down and tensions are eased. Positives too for Washington - indeed, the only losers look to be the North Korean people who look condemned to continued brutality at the hands of the ludicrous Juche philosophy and their Government but no one else seems that bothered.

You've missed out (c).

Having become the first person in two millennia to achieve bodily resurrection, he wants to show off.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Rudd is toast.

End of.
  • Options

Rudd is toast.

End of.

She's toast, May's Marmite.

That works.

Good night.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You've missed out (c).

Having become the first person in two millennia to achieve bodily resurrection, he wants to show off.

So instead of offering anything approaching analysis or comment or argument, you pick me up on one mistake.

You must be a teacher !

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    I still don’t see a smoking gun for Rudd.

This is getting boring now. We need to move on.
  • Options
    Anyway, evening to those interested in serious discussion or debate :)

Are we then to believe the Independent's story on the Government's post-Brexit immigration thinking ?

It strikes me as asking the same question as about a Customs Union - when is Freedom of Movement not Freedom of Movement ? When it's defined by the British Government it would seem.

For those of us hoping "Global Britain" would create a single transparent equal playing field for all those seeking to enter Britain legally, this is hugely disappointing. It would have been nice to have a process which would treat all prospective migrants equally, fairly, with dignity and to have issues resolved as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    How I hate autocorrect. Lidington.
  • Options

It really is over the top and the full on media attacks must be providing support for Rudd from the party.

However, there is another agenda here from conservative Brexiteers who see her as a BINO and want her out. Andrew Pierce on Marr this morning was gunning for her as are some on here.

I think the hard Brexiteers see the writing on the wall and are turning their fire on both TM and Amber Rudd who both supported remain.

I think Brexit without a customs union is dead in the water,
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    If it's thought that getting rid of Rudd might help the Tories hold places like Westminster and Wandsworth than I think she'll probably be sacrificed for the sake of the party.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If it's thought that getting rid of Rudd might help the Tories hold places like Westminster and Wandsworth than I think she'll probably be sacrificed for the sake of the party.

Good point - I hadnt thought of that though I doubt it would make much difference
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    edited April 2018
    stodge said:

Kim Yong il died in 2000 and retired as prime minister in 2010, so is unlikely to be influential in anything that Kim Jong-Un decides to do.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Yong-il
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

stodge said:

Kim Yong il died in 2000 and retired as prime minister in 2010, so is unlikely to be influential in anything that Kim Jong-Un decides to do.

Not sure that makes sense
  • Options

It really is over the top and the full on media attacks must be providing support for Rudd from the party.

However, there is another agenda here from conservative Brexiteers who see her as a BINO and want her out. Andrew Pierce on Marr this morning was gunning for her as are some on here.

I think the hard Brexiteers see the writing on the wall and are turning their fire on both TM and Amber Rudd who both supported remain.

Tomorrow's statement will be critical. This isn't about Windrush any more but about whether Rudd has misled Parliament. Even if it was accidental (which I'm sure it was) the evidence is she wasn't (she may be now, she may not) in full control of her Department and that makes her look weak and vulnerable.

The bigger issue remains the CU - as a LEAVE voter I fully understood membership of the SM and CU was incompatible with us seeking to find a new economic identity as "Global Britain". I've no problem with the EU trying to achieve the best deal with us (they would, wouldn't they ?) and there may be some aspects of the CU we can emulate in the post-EU economic relationship but we can't be in the EU's Customs Union.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Tomorrow's statement will be critical. This isn't about Windrush any more but about whether Rudd has misled Parliament. Even if it was accidental (which I'm sure it was) the evidence is she wasn't (she may be now, she may not) in full control of her Department and that makes her look weak and vulnerable.

The bigger issue remains the CU - as a LEAVE voter I fully understood membership of the SM and CU was incompatible with us seeking to find a new economic identity as "Global Britain". I've no problem with the EU trying to achieve the best deal with us (they would, wouldn't they ?) and there may be some aspects of the CU we can emulate in the post-EU economic relationship but we can't be in the EU's Customs Union.
    I did fudge it by saying 'a' customs union
  • Options
    edited April 2018

AndyJS said:

Good point - I hadnt thought of that though I doubt it would make much difference
    Control of Westminster could come down to a handful of votes in one or two wards. The Tories don't want to lose the council containing most of the country's most iconic buildings and prestigious institutions.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Oh good, another pathetic pedant !!

Are the Tories going to regain Croydon next Thursday ? I suspect not.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    This is a frustrating period of time to have had no polls for two weeks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2018
  • Options
    stodge said:

For those of us hoping "Global Britain" would create a single transparent equal playing field for all those seeking to enter Britain legally, this is hugely disappointing. It would have been nice to have a process which would treat all prospective migrants equally, fairly, with dignity and to have issues resolved as quickly as possible.

But all countries discriminate to a certain extent based on nationality, and almost all favour close neighbours.

Why?

1. Nationality is a useful heuristic. (To give a silly example: we can't expect our immigration authorities to treat all universities as of equal merit, but nor can we expect them to be in charge of rating 10,000 educational institutions.)

2. Because countries tend to have close relations with their neighbours.

So, NZ and Australia discriminate in favour of each other, as do Canada and the US, as do we and Ireland.

We will never have completely non-discriminatory immigration policies, and nor should we have. It's good to keep things like working holiday visas for Australians and Canadians.
  • Options
    Barcelona win La Liga
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    stodge said:

ydoethur said:

You've missed out (c).

So instead of offering anything approaching analysis or comment or argument, you pick me up on one mistake.

You must be a teacher !
    I plead guilty, m'lud! :smiley:

On the substantive point however, since you seem piqued by my levity, your post doesn't actually get us very far. You take three paragraphs to say essentially we have bugger all idea why he's acting like this. Which isn't terribly helpful, TBH, even if you hadn't muddled up the name of the current monarch Dictator.

That said, the truth is we have so little information of any kind - even reliable background information - that any speculation is likely to be wrong. As matters stand, Kim is making friendly noises. I can quite understand everyone is anxious to see where they lead. Anything is better than him and Trump trading nuclear threats about the size of their respective buttons on Twitter.

As for the people of North Korea, yes, this makes it less likely they can be liberated. That is a tragedy for them. And to quote John Donne, no man is an island. However, since that was never going to happen anyway (if there had been a war, they would all have been killed) I'm not sure what difference it makes in practice. Similarly, let's face it, the record of the US in liberating people from appalling tyrannies and establishing successful democracies is approximately 100% - 100% disastrous, that is.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

But all countries discriminate to a certain extent based on nationality, and almost all favour close neighbours.

Why?

1. Nationality is a useful heuristic. (To give a silly example: we can't expect our immigration authorities to treat all universities as of equal merit, but nor can we expect them to be in charge of rating 10,000 educational institutions.)

So, NZ and Australia discriminate in favour of each other, as do Canada and the US, as do we and Ireland.

We will never have completely non-discriminatory immigration policies, and nor should we have. It's good to keep things like working holiday visas for Australians and Canadians.
    I thought the UK points system for skilled migrants DID treat all credited universities as equivalent for points.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2018

How useful would a poll be for the locals? There are so many factors at play that polls might be almost as misleading as they are for general elections.

We've had London polling, although some on the regions would be interesting. Does anyone know of any?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    stodge said:

Absolutely. Brexit is pointless if we do.

Even the Economist recognises its flaws: the EU could sell access to our market in future without any say from us at all, in whatever suits their best interests, not ours.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

I believe retail workers are a huge chunk of low skilled labour, and their salaries could certainly be done in a way to qualify for an "open to all" scheme. There really has to be a salary or qualifications limit for it to work.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    Off topic, I’ve had two texts this weekend from two normally loyal Tory members (both Leave voters) who both said they want May’s head if she capitulates on the Customs Union.

I think this is a serious moment for her.
  • Options

stodge said:

Absolutely. Brexit is pointless if we do.

Even the Economist recognises its flaws: the EU could sell access to our market in future without any say from us at all, in whatever suits their best interests, not ours.
    Potentially there is room from our side to have a customs union in select manufactured goods that mainly sell regionally - packaged food and drink, cars etc. But I would guess the EU would call that cherry picking.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

How useful would a poll be for the locals? There are so many factors at play that polls might be almost as misleading as they are for general elections.

We've had London polling, although some on the regions would be interesting. Does anyone know of any?
    Pretty sure there isn't any.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

I believe retail workers are a huge chunk of low skilled labour, and their salaries could certainly be done in a way to qualify for an "open to all" scheme. There really has to be a salary or qualifications limit for it to work.
    I'm much more relaxed than you. I think it's great that a 22 year old Brit can go to Paris and work for a year in a Patisserie, and have no particular issue with the Czech girl in my local Starbucks*.

What I have more of an issue with is the fact that people can come here and receive benefits without having paid in. I have an issue that we cannot get rid of - or bar - people who have committed crimes.

It doesn't seem to me that we need a system much more onerous than the US one.

* This was before I moved to LA, of course.
  • Options

Off topic, I’ve had two texts this weekend from two normally loyal Tory members (both Leave voters) who both said they want May’s head if she capitulates on the Customs Union.

I would agree but the HOC numbers make it very likely and no leader, even JRM, can change the opposition to leaving a customs union
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    edited April 2018
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Why?

Why should our system not be non discriminatory? The fact other countries choose to discriminate in favour of particular neighbours is no reason for us to do so. Apart from the language advantages why would it be better for us to give preferential treatment to a Canadian rather than a Peruvian? One of the reasons for getting out of the EU was to put an end to such discriminatory practices which act against our best interests. We should not be swapping one kind of favouritism for another.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

And yet there is probably a majority in the Commons for remaining in a CU; if the Commons votes for a CU what would be the point in Tory Leavers replacing May?
This discussion has been closed.