Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The winner of the first Westminster by-elections of the Parlia

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    AndyJS said:

Just looked through the previous thread and couldn't find any comments referring to today's Guardian/ICM poll.

Or You Gov published today

If these polls are accurate it is amazing that despite 24/7 media broadcast attacks on all things government and Brexit the Country is not listening to them

Outside their riduculous London bubble real people are disgusted by Windrush but are content to see it dealt with fairly, but Abbott and others in labour lining up against deportations of illegal immigrants and giving every impression they would open the borders to one and all is very damaging to labour
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    edited May 2018
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Made it to sunny Valencia, the flight was extremely bumpy along the way. Now 5 days of relaxation in the sun with my soon to be wife.

Life tip, never have a big wedding. It's the world's worst idea. Not only are people deciding things without our consent, we're going to end up paying for it all. We've come here to have a bit of calm before we go back and lay down the law. So far the total cost is coming in at £85k, which is, IMO way, way too much money being burned for one day of our lives.

Life tip #2: stay off PB when you and your beloved are having a romantic trip to Valencia.
    She's putting her face on so I've got a bit of time lol.
    so you are time-limited - the worst curse for a PB-er: no time to point out why everyone else on PB has got it wrong.

:smile:

Enjoy Valencia.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    MaxPB said:

Made it to sunny Valencia, the flight was extremely bumpy along the way. Now 5 days of relaxation in the sun with my soon to be wife.

Life tip, never have a big wedding. It's the world's worst idea. Not only are people deciding things without our consent, we're going to end up paying for it all. We've come here to have a bit of calm before we go back and lay down the law. So far the total cost is coming in at £85k, which is, IMO way, way too much money being burned for one day of our lives.

That's 16k less than I sold my house for :p
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

@AndyJS nunuone posted it on the previous thread.

Must have been in Tweet form which isn't showing up on the browser I'm using at the moment.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, yesterday I enraged a few on here by saying that I did not think prostitution was something to be encouraged.

So, today, I'm going to try enrage a few more and post my response to @NickPalmer (fpt) on transgender people on all-women shortlists.

This is what Mr P said:

"I know people on both sides of this argument who feel very strongly. The argument for the party's position is that we really can't get involved in physical examinations to determine degrees of gender and the common sense solution is to let people decide what they are. The argument against is that even after the op a trans woman won't have experienced the difficulties that women often have as they grow up even in today's society.

I've avoided taking a view, as it's not something I'm really qualified to judge, but I can see both sides. Regardless, though, it's the sort of issue that we should not be preoccupied with as the main opposition."

A man claiming to "identify" as a woman without taking any actual steps to make that a reality and without any medical diagnosis of his condition and wanting to take the place of women is not a victim but a bully. And, frankly, women have had enough of men bullying them and telling them that they know best. Now we have some of them telling us what it is to be a woman. Well, they can fuck off, frankly.

People who are genuinely transgender deserve all necessary help and support. But too many of those claiming to be fighting for transgender rights seem to me to want "rights" on the basis of the flimsiest of evidence and at the expense of women. And there are too many who are too scared to call them out on this.

To me this shows a completely stupid and ridiculous over-compensation to make a vanishingly small group marginally happier at the cost of everyone else. Its self indulgent twaddle.
    What on earth is the problem with gender neutral loos? Surely women should welcome this given the disparity at theatres especially in queue length when there are gendered loos?
    As long as it is all cubicles, no problem, but mixing urinals and cubicles probably not.

Mixing urinals and cubicles as a means of screaming’gender equality’ is plain daft.
    You could do that in a men's loo if you wanted to... there's a reason you don't...
    There are cubicles in all the mens loos I use. And if you’re suggesting what I think you’re suggesting it wasn’t unknown in my student days, although very rare, for a young man and a young woman to go into the same cubicle.
    As I am assured also happens on aeroplanes, although given the space in most that I’ve travelled on.....
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    MaxPB said:

I would have thought that women are more likely to bogusly self-identify as men to access male toilets, as their usually isn't such a long queue.

They would have to go into the men's toilets though, which is an experience to put them off for life.
    I've heard, from people who have cleaned both, that female public toilets are far worse than male. This really surprised me.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    AndyJS said:

I've seen women brazenly walk into men's toilets lots of times in order to avoid the long queues at the female facilities. One example was at the NEC about five years ago.

There are never enough womens loos at public places. Never. There need to be about 4 times as many as there are for men. There's all sorts of stuff we need to do in there for which we need time and space. And we can't go round the back of the theatre and pee against a wall either.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I've seen women brazenly walk into men's toilets lots of times in order to avoid the long queues at the female facilities. One example was at the NEC about five years ago. Usually it's a group of young women walking in together, presumably after psyching each other up to do it.

I see that happening too.
    Generally they're following the guy in to have a quick snort.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited May 2018

MaxPB said:

I would have thought that women are more likely to bogusly self-identify as men to access male toilets, as their usually isn't such a long queue.

They would have to go into the men's toilets though, which is an experience to put them off for life.
    I've heard, from people who have cleaned both, that female public toilets are far worse than male. This really surprised me.
    I find that quite shocking. How could anything be worse than the gents?!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree

"A man claiming to "identify" as a woman without taking any actual steps to make that a reality and without any medical diagnosis of his condition and wanting to take the place of women is not a victim but a bully. And, frankly, women have had enough of men bullying them and telling them that they know best. Now we have some of them telling us what it is to be a woman. Well, they can fuck off, frankly."

I am see any evidence that more than a trivial number of these people exist.

All the people I know (admittedly only a handful) who consider themselves transgender have spent years and years establishing/coming to terms with that.

I am sure. But they usually do so with the help of doctors and others etc. There seem to be some - maybe a very few who are vocal - who are not doing this. I do not like the idea (or the proposal from the government) that someone can call themselves a woman without any sort of independent verification or medical diagnosis and, thereby, get access to women's changing rooms, hostels, loos etc. That seems to me to leave an obvious loophole for a man intent on malice to get access to women when they are vulnerable.
    I think you are correct about this issue.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Life tip #2: stay off PB when you and your beloved are having a romantic trip to Valencia.
    She's putting her face on so I've got a bit of time lol.
    so you are time-limited - the worst curse for a PB-er: no time to point out why everyone else on PB has got it wrong.

:smile:

Enjoy Valencia.
    Cheers, she's almost ready. Maybe another 15 mins. :D
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I don't know which is worse, but there are clearly people who have never been toilet-trained.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    AndyJS said:

I've seen women brazenly walk into men's toilets lots of times in order to avoid the long queues at the female facilities. One example was at the NEC about five years ago. Usually it's a group of young women walking in together, presumably after psyching each other up to do it.

I used to see this all the time at night clubs on a weekend night.

This is back in the day when I was young enough to go clubbing.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

I've seen women brazenly walk into men's toilets lots of times in order to avoid the long queues at the female facilities. One example was at the NEC about five years ago.

There are never enough womens loos at public places. Never. There need to be about 4 times as many as there are for men. There's all sorts of stuff we need to do in there for which we need time and space. And we can't go round the back of the theatre and pee against a wall either.
    clearly you don't believe in equality
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I imagine that men are less uncomfortable about women using mens' loos than the reverse.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

AndyJS said:

Just looked through the previous thread and couldn't find any comments referring to today's Guardian/ICM poll.

Or You Gov published today

If these polls are accurate it is amazing that despite 24/7 media broadcast attacks on all things government and Brexit the Country is not listening to them

Outside their riduculous London bubble real people are disgusted by Windrush but are content to see it dealt with fairly, but Abbott and others in labour lining up against deportations of illegal immigrants and giving every impression they would open the borders to one and all is very damaging to labour
    YouGov was discussed on last night’s thread. They also showed on Friday that most feel that the government have handled the issue badly (64%). So it’s not only the ‘London’ bubble who is critical.

Both the opposition and the government have been rightly criticised in recent months - for Windrush and antisemitism and several people on this site called it that it wouldn’t really shift the polls (ICM is showing pretty much MOE movements and we’ve seen small Tory leads of 1-3 points in polls since the start of the year). That is not a shock. Corbyn had some pretty bad headlines during the GE and that didn’t stop nearly 40% of people from voting for him either.

No one really cares about the process of Brexit, however if the stories surrounding free movement are true (cf Independent on Sunday) then long term that might cause issues. Labour despite having quite a different tone on immigration now to Miliband’s time have for years not been rated on being tough on immigration; that is priced in much like the Tories not being entirely trusted on the NHS is priced tbh. That’s why the Winter Crisis didn’t actually affect their VI.

@AndyJS yes, it’s in tweet form.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    GIN1138 said:

I see Viscount Hailsham AKA (AKA Douglas Hogg Ex-MP) was one of the Tory Peers voting to block the democratic will of the British people over Brexit... The same multi-millionaire Viscount Hailsham who charged tax-payers £2000 to have his moat cleaned.

#forshame #forshame

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5310069/MPs-expenses-Clearing-the-moat-at-Douglas-Hoggs-manor.html

Don’t let facts get in the way of a good rant now, will you
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

I imagine that men are less uncomfortable about women using mens' loos than the reverse.
    Surely not? In the gents the blokes are stood in the open with their bits hanging out! The women are all behind a closed door.
  • Options
    The Germaine Greer argument - that if you change sex halfway during your life you're still not a proper one - is an interesting one.

I think that once you transition you are a proper woman, albeit you've arrived at your destination in an unusual way. So if that is what she's saying I think she's wrong.

But if what she's saying is that you don't have the same experiences as a woman who was born and grew up as a woman, then she's absolutely right. You do not know what it is like to be a girl child or a girl teenager or a young woman working in a male environment, for instance, if you become a woman later in life. Your life experience is necessarily different and your knowledge of female experience is very different to that of women born as such. That to me is self-evident. It doesn't make your experience worse; it's just different in the same way that a woman cannot know what it is like to suffer from dysmorphia.

Why this should be controversial and lead to attacks on her, stopping her from speaking and all the rest of it I don't know. The level of intolerance from people who don't want to hear something they disagree with is quite frightening.

I do wonder whether a man who transitions into a woman retains some of his/her male attributes i.e. a level of self-belief/being used to being listened to/even arrogance etc. If so, that may also make their experience - even as a transgender woman - different to many women.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

I agree 100% with this.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Surely not? In the gents the blokes are stood in the open with their bits hanging out! The women are all behind a closed door.
    there are of course ladies urinals or they can bring a hand held portable one

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    It would be good to see May forced to take responsibility for her part in this mess. When people are having their lives ruined by idiotic government decisions, trying to pretend it is someone else's fault is not a tenable position for very long.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The Germaine Greer argument - that if you change sex halfway during your life you're still not a proper one - is an interesting one.

I think that once you transition you are a proper woman, albeit you've arrived at your destination in an unusual way. So if that is what she's saying I think she's wrong.

But if what she's saying is that you don't have the same experiences as a woman who was born and grew up as a woman, then she's absolutely right. You do not know what it is like to be a girl child or a girl teenager or a young woman working in a male environment, for instance, if you become a woman later in life. Your life experience is necessarily different and your knowledge of female experience is very different to that of women born as such. That to me is self-evident. It doesn't make your experience worse; it's just different in the same way that a woman cannot know what it is like to suffer from dysmorphia.

Why this should be controversial and lead to attacks on her, stopping her from speaking and all the rest of it I don't know. The level of intolerance from people who don't want to hear something they disagree with is quite frightening.

I do wonder whether a man who transitions into a woman retains some of his/her male attributes i.e. a level of self-belief/being used to being listened to/even arrogance etc. If so, that may also make their experience - even as a transgender woman - different to many women.

yeah but if you grow up, say, in Phillimore Gardens W8, then go to Notting Hill Prep then Eton/Benenden then Oxbridge as a girl or a boy you will not have the same experiences as a girl growing up in the Hindu Kush.

Where does it end?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

No, on this issue I don't. Each according to his/her need. Try being pregnant, needing to pee every 10 mins and have to queue for 15 just to get to the bloody loo.

And it doesn't make commercial sense for the venues either. All that time spent queueing is time when women cannot be in the bars/shops spending money.

Yesterday at the British Museum the female loo queue was snaking up the stairs and round the Reading Room. I spent more time waiting to pee than I did looking at Rodin and the Greek sculptures. Time and money spent in shops: Zero.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

yeah but if you grow up, say, in Phillimore Gardens W8, then go to Notting Hill Prep then Eton/Benenden then Oxbridge as a girl or a boy you will not have the same experiences as a girl growing up in the Hindu Kush.

Where does it end?
    There are some experiences all women everywhere in the world have in common, no matter where they're brought up.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, yesterday I enraged a few on here by saying that I did not think prostitution was something to be encouraged.

So, today, I'm going to try enrage a few more and post my response to @NickPalmer (fpt) on transgender people on all-women shortlists.

This is what Mr P said:

"I know people on both sides of this argumenng I'm really qualified to judge, but I can see both sides. Regardless, though, it's the sort of issue that we should not be preoccupied with as the main opposition."

No. The common-sense position is to say that if someone has been diagnosed by a doctor and is taking steps to transition then they are transgender. If they are not doing so and still have all their male genitalia then they are a male and should not be on all-women shortlists or in women's loos and changing rooms.

A man claiming to "identify" as a woman without taking any actual steps to make that a reality and without any medical diagnosis of his condition and wanting to take the place of women is not a victim but a bully. And, frankly, women have had enough of men bullying them and telling them that they know best. Now we have some of them telling us what it is to be a woman. Well, they can fuck off, frankly.

People who are genuinely transgender deserve all necessary help and support. But too many of those claiming to be fighting for transgender rights seem to me to want "rights" on the basis of the flimsiest of evidence and at the expense of women. And there are too many who are too scared to call them out on this.

My wife was at the Women of Scotland lunch a week ago. One of the women present was in charge of some of the theatres in Edinburgh. She explained that they only had gender neutral toilets with urinals beside the cubicles. A transgender friend had apparently told her how wonderful this was. I suspect that there are a very large number of crossed legs in the second half.

To me this shows a completely stupid and ridiculous over-compensation to make a vanishingly small group marginally happier at the cost of everyone else. Its self indulgent twaddle.
    What on earth is the problem with gender neutral loos? Surely women should welcome this given the disparity at theatres especially in queue length when there are gendered loos?
    As long as it is all cubicles, no problem, but mixing urinals and cubicles probably not.

Yes I can see that would be an issue.

Cubicles though seem a no-brainer and welcome for women as I (and @SandyRentool) noted.
    My experience at my employer's head office and a conference centre in Stockholm was that all the cubicles were private and equipped with a toilet bowl and sink and so were all unisex. Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

No, on this issue I don't. Each according to his/her need. Try being pregnant, needing to pee every 10 mins and have to queue for 15 just to get to the bloody loo.

And it doesn't make commercial sense for the venues either. All that time spent queueing is time when women cannot be in the bars/shops spending money.

Yesterday at the British Museum the female loo queue was snaking up the stairs and round the Reading Room. I spent more time waiting to pee than I did looking at Rodin and the Greek sculptures. Time and money spent in shops: Zero.
    yes but think of all those happy blokes knowing their not being dragged round shops.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

Lol The British Museum is absolubtely humungous too. You'd have thought they would have proper toilet facilities.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

The abstentionalist position is eternal and for ever but a united island of Ireland looks to now be on the horizon. Thanks to Brexit,a border poll seems inevitable.

Just nonsense

the abstensionist position also applied to the RoI then was changed
    the abstenstionist position also applied to Stormont then changed
    at some point it will change for Westminster as people get pissed of not being represented

as for a UI we have yet to see how the south will afford it and if there are enough people up north who want 30% cut in their living standard

NI is pluraliity catholic under the age of 35 consistently a large chunk of that community show no great urge for unification . In any event the fastest growing segment in NI is no religion which is impacting the sectarian headcount on both sides. No religion was 17% at the last census and growing.

As for Brexit and a border poll imo the two parties which always go to the brink and beyond ( NI and EU ) will simply come up with another fudge as they always do
    Quote: In any event the fastest growing segment in NI is no religion which is impacting the sectarian headcount on both sides. No religion was 17% at the last census and growing. Unquote.

Ah, but are they Protestant no religionists or Catholic ones?
    Yebbut they still asked a Community background (or Religion brought up in) question in 2011.

According to my calculations (which are sometimes correct!):

County Armagh 59% Catholic "community", 37% Protestant "community", 4% other or none
    Antrim 39%, 53%, 8%
    Down 31%, 60%, 8%
    Fermanagh 59%, 38%, 3%
    Londonderry 61%, 35%, 4%
    Tyrone 65%, 32%, 2%

Northern Ireland 45%, 48%, 7%

In 2011, the Republic also had a Census, allowing us to mention:

Cavan 85%, 7%, 8%
    Donegal 85%, 7%, 6%
    Monaghan 87%, 7%, 6%

Just for a bit of fun - remember, this just for a bit of fun! - all 9 Counties of Ulster:

51% Catholic "community", 43% Protestant "community", 7% other or none.
  • Options
    This poll from the States is something. Wonder if the numbers here are similar:

https://twitter.com/taylormaycan/status/991301541603799040
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    The think tank behind Brexit is being driven by the Russians?

No wonder Brexiters are so angry these days.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

If there 4 times as many loos for women as men, there probably would be equality of queueing time, though unisex loos that are all cubicle would have the same effect.
  • Options
    LABOUR ACTIVISTS BRAND FIRST BAME HOME SECRETARY “COCONUT” AND “UNCLE TOM”

Sajid Javid’s appointment as the first BAME holder of a Great Office of State has been met with a torrent of vitriol from Labour activists, members, councillors and pro-Corbyn social media fanboys.

The tweets are absolutely disgusting and just leaves one in despair.

What is Corbyn going to do about it
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Ms. Apocalypse, some time ago, but I remember reading that the US often had higher rates of psych disorders because it's more competitive than the UK.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

This is what Mr P said:

"I know people on both sides of this argumenng I'm really qualified to judge, but I can see both sides. Regardless, though, it's the sort of issue that we should not be preoccupied with as the main opposition."

No. The common-sense position is to say that if someone has been diagnosed by a doctor and is taking steps to transition then they are transgender. If they are not doing so and still have all their male genitalia then they are a male and should not be on all-women shortlists or in women's loos and changing rooms.

Yes I can see that would be an issue.

Cubicles though seem a no-brainer and welcome for women as I (and @SandyRentool) noted.
    My experience at my employer's head office and a conference centre in Stockholm was that all the cubicles were private and equipped with a toilet bowl and sink and so were all unisex. Makes sense to me.
    Seems sensible.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

If there 4 times as many loos for women as men, there probably would be equality of queueing time, though unisex loos that are all cubicle would have the same effect.
    When are urinals going to be phased out by ?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Re the Tories issue with the NHS being priced in, this is why I also can’t see this having an affect either:
    https://twitter.com/hackneyabbott/status/991272850953834497
    Those who tend to rely on the NHS tend to be older voters who are hardcore Tories, if the NHS Winter crisis didn’t waver their support, this certainly won’t.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

no there wouldn't be

women would just take even longer as there would be no pressure to hurry up

the retail sector would just collapse
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

Lol The British Museum is absolubtely humungous too. You'd have thought they would have proper toilet facilities.
    Even in the members' area the toilet facilities are useless at the British Museum.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

What's wrong with them?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Sajid Javid’s appointment as the first BAME holder of a Great Office of State has been met with a torrent of vitriol from Labour activists, members, councillors and pro-Corbyn social media fanboys.

Rubbish. It shows that Labour are a party of equal opportunity racist scum. Treating all minorities the same.
  • Options

Ms. Apocalypse, some time ago, but I remember reading that the US often had higher rates of psych disorders because it's more competitive than the UK.

Given the US health system, I wonder if it’s much more harder to get treatment for such disorders in comparison to here. I would think so.
  • Options
    "Tory Candidate Suspended After Leaflet Claims Labour Brought 'Hepatitis' To The Local Area"

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/tory-candidate-suspended-dudley_uk_5ae824eee4b055fd7fcf32b8
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

What's wrong with them?
    Nothing - it is the implication of @Foxy last comment though equality of queueing time, though unisex loos that are all cubicle would have the same effect.
    Certainly one way to achieve gender equality :cold_sweat:
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Tory Candidate Suspended After Leaflet Claims Labour Brought 'Hepatitis' To The Local Area"

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/tory-candidate-suspended-dudley_uk_5ae824eee4b055fd7fcf32b8

Quite right and quick action
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    <

Re the Tories issue with the NHS being priced in, this is why I also can’t see this having an affect either:
    Those who tend to rely on the NHS tend to be older voters who are hardcore Tories, if the NHS Winter crisis didn’t waver their support, this certainly won’t.

I cannot see any sense in this. TM is wrong
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Quite right and quick action
    The two defibrillators that the kippers delivered are alot more useful than most of the fluff on the left of the leaflet though.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited May 2018
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree

"A man claiming to "identify" as a woman without taking any actual steps to make that a reality and without any medical diagnosis of his condition and wanting to take the place of women is not a victim but a bully. And, frankly, women have had enough of men bullying them and telling them that they know best. Now we have some of them telling us what it is to be a woman. Well, they can fuck off, frankly."

I am see any evidence that more than a trivial number of these people exist.

All the people I know (admittedly only a handful) who consider themselves transgender have spent years and years establishing/coming to terms with that.

I am sure. But they usually do so with the help of doctors and others etc. There seem to be some - maybe a very few who are vocal - who are not doing this. I do not like the idea (or the proposal from the government) that someone can call themselves a woman without any sort of independent verification or medical diagnosis and, thereby, get access to women's changing rooms, hostels, loos etc. That seems to me to leave an obvious loophole for a man intent on malice to get access to women when they are vulnerable.
    Unfortunately you would be considered transphobic by most of the modern left.
    In good company with germaine Greer and Peter tatchell.
    Their argument is different. To them, it doesn't matter if you go through a process, however long it takes - you still do not have the experience of a cisgender woman.

@Cyclefree

Please could you identify a"fake" transgender person who wants to use women's toilets but who should not be allowed to, because I can only assume a legal process is a question of "fake"/"real".

The dividing line should be a medical diagnosis and the start of treatment.

Not someone waking up one morning and deciding that they "identify" as a woman.

If I were to announce in 15 minutes time that I "identified" as a man it wouldn't make me a man (or, indeed, transgender) nor should it allow me to wander into men's loos at will or compete in the men's section of Wimbledon Tennis, for instance.
    These people simply do not exist and there is no need to base a policy on them.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

<

I also don’t agree with TMay’s stance on this. I doubt most members of the public will care though.
  • Options
    A lot of new places have unisex toilet rooms, such as the new wing of the Tate Modern.
  • Options

<

I also don’t agree with TMay’s stance on this. I doubt most members of the public will care though.
    There are times when commonsense goes and this is one of them.

I will call TM out when I believe she is wrong
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Ms. Apocalypse, the information I read was only about rate of incidence, not treatment.

There is, incidentally, a drive to pathologise a lot of quirks and to perhaps over-diagnose disorders generally. The classic example, of course, being kleptomania, invented when middle class Parisian women kept nicking stuff they could afford from newfangled department stores.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Given the US health system, I wonder if it’s much more harder to get treatment for such disorders in comparison to here. I would think so.
    Such symptoms are pretty universal, and it is debateable as to where is worst:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/apr/07/loneliest-city-in-world
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    MaxPB said:

Remember the golden rule: he who pays the gold makes the rules.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,004
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

From memory, we spent about £16k on our wedding (albeit nine years ago). For that we got an historic warship for the afternoon and evening, entertainment, good food, and a hundred or so friends and family from around the world. Oh, and we paid for a couple of friends to pay in their hotel because they were skint. ;)

We've chatted about this since, and we can't work out any way we could have spent more money to get a better wedding. Then again, Mrs J couldn't even be bothered with flowers for the wedding, and we only got some when the venue insisted. The florist asked us:"Have you decided on a colour scheme for the wedding?" and Mrs J replied: "It's on a f'ing warship!"

Incidentally, £16k was about what it cost me to walk around the coast for a year, and was coincidentally about the same redundancy payment I got before the walk ...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I assume you never got married :-)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

There are cubicles in all the mens loos I use. And if you’re suggesting what I think you’re suggesting it wasn’t unknown in my student days, although very rare, for a young man and a young woman to go into the same cubicle.
    As I am assured also happens on aeroplanes, although given the space in most that I’ve travelled on.....

Ahhh, the mile high club.

Now, have you heard of the half mile high club?

It's like the mile high club, but with half the number of people.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    rcs1000 said:

I thought that was known as flying solo...
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ms. Apocalypse, the information I read was only about rate of incidence, not treatment.

There is, incidentally, a drive to pathologise a lot of quirks and to perhaps over-diagnose disorders generally. The classic example, of course, being kleptomania, invented when middle class Parisian women kept nicking stuff they could afford from newfangled department stores.

Perceptions as to the availability/affordability of treatment are highly likely to affect incidence stats, because why bother to get diagnosed if you don't think you are going to be effectively treated?
  • Options
    Having talked to many friends about their weddings, I reckon the key to a cheap and happy wedding is:

1) Keep family and friends out of the key arrangements. Do what the two of you want, not what other people want you to do.
    2) Never, every buy a wedding magazine. That way madness lies.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Thanks Harry. One point to note: we're nearly a year into the Parliamentary term and this is the first by-election, and it's not in a seat that will affect the government's ability to make laws. Anyone still thinking that the government is going to collapse through attrition should take note.
  • Options

Having talked to many friends about their weddings, I reckon the key to a cheap and happy wedding is:

1) Keep family and friends out of the key arrangements. Do what the two of you want, not what other people want you to do.

3) the two people getting married should ideally be in love?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    FPT.

Roger said:

OT. cyclefree. Thanks for your interesting comment on my cafe owner friend. You're more compassionate than the average PBer. Out of interest one piece of information that I didn't know when I wrote that letter is that he had produced a work permit but it was a fake. One readily available on the internet apparently and whether because it was convincing or he was too inexperienced to know the difference I don't know but £15,000 is a big price to pay for a very honest mistake.

That all makes sense, Roger, but what I can't get my head round is that you blame the Conservatives for this. Do you not know that these rules and penalties were introduced by the last Labour government? The selectivity of your indignation is a wonder to behold.
    Richard. That's true but from my research 1. The fines have trebled 2. The insidiousness of offering a lesser fine for information about other illegals is new.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

3) the two people getting married should ideally be in love?
    I kinda thought that was a prerequisite. ;)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

<

She does seem to take some hard-nosed decisions, that actually actually she should be flexible on.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

From memory, we spent about £16k on our wedding (albeit nine years ago). For that we got an historic warship for the afternoon and evening, entertainment, good food, and a hundred or so friends and family from around the world. Oh, and we paid for a couple of friends to pay in their hotel because they were skint. ;)

We've chatted about this since, and we can't work out any way we could have spent more money to get a better wedding. Then again, Mrs J couldn't even be bothered with flowers for the wedding, and we only got some when the venue insisted. The florist asked us:"Have you decided on a colour scheme for the wedding?" and Mrs J replied: "It's on a f'ing warship!"

Incidentally, £16k was about what it cost me to walk around the coast for a year, and was coincidentally about the same redundancy payment I got before the walk ...
    Don’t know what my grandson and granddaughter-elect are paying, but it’s not in the stratorsphere. They’ve saved by having it on a Tuesday in next October’s half-term.... they’re both teachers and so are many of their friends. Lovely looking Tudor venue.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

The world's largest stolen goods warehouse?

(only kidding!!!)
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I tend to find that the enjoyment of a wedding is inversely proportionate to the planning (and probably expenditure) that has been applied... finding themed tables with customised bags of sweets wrapped in pictures of the couples first holiday together was a particular low point... ceremony followed by a piss up at a pub with a good juke box and great speeches works for me...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is it members only ?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

(only kidding!!!)
    If you took out all the culturally appropriated items there the toilets would be pretty much all that was left. Unless it turns out we nicked the idea from the Chinese.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2018

Big shrug.....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, as I said we're going to lay down the law when we go to London on Saturday. The issue is that the wedding will be there and we aren't so all these people are making decisions, but since nothing is paid for except the venue deposit it can all be cancelled.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

(only kidding!!!)
    If you took out all the culturally appropriated items there the toilets would be pretty much all that was left. Unless it turns out we nicked the idea from the Chinese.
    Thank God we did nick/buy/haggle them. The fantastic Assyrian collection, for example, would have been completed destroyed if it had been left in the Mosul area, and very badly looted if it had put in Gertrude Bell's museum in Baghdad.
  • Options
    As it happens, I'm going to a wedding on Thursday in Northern Ireland. If I'm posting on Thursday evening (or Friday morning, in all probability), expect even less sense than usual.
  • Options
    Uber licence renewal in Brighton turned down

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-43965393
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I tend to find that the enjoyment of a wedding is inversely proportionate to the planning (and probably expenditure) that has been applied... finding themed tables with customised bags of sweets wrapped in pictures of the couples first holiday together was a particular low point... ceremony followed by a piss up at a pub with a good juke box and great speeches works for me...
    In our case, we got married quite late, which meant we had both been to many, many weddings. I'd been to scores of church weddings, and sadly the memories had sort of merged into one. Since neither of us are religious, a church wedding seemed wrong. We also wanted something that would be memorable for everyone, and so we chose HMS Warrior in Portsmouth harbour. It was a great choice.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, as I said we're going to lay down the law when we go to London on Saturday. The issue is that the wedding will be there and we aren't so all these people are making decisions, but since nothing is paid for except the venue deposit it can all be cancelled.
    London Eye? Arsenal Football Club? Chelsea Town Hall? Kensington Roof Gardens?
  • Options
    Legatum Group response...

“Christopher Chandler has never been associated directly or indirectly with Russian intelligence or the Russian state. Neither Christopher Chandler nor anyone at Legatum is aware of any such alleged “investigation” by French authorities, not 16 years ago or at any time since. To be clear Christopher Chandler has never been approached at any time by the French or any other authorities regarding Russia and maintains a sterling record of ethical business practices earned over many decades. These accusations are complete nonsense, and have been previously rebutted by the Legatum Group

https://www.legatum.com/news/legatum-group-response-to-the-sunday-times-article-3rd-december-2017/
  • Options

As it happens, I'm going to a wedding on Thursday in Northern Ireland. If I'm posting on Thursday evening (or Friday morning, in all probability), expect even less sense than usual.

Won't that wedding last until Sunday anyway?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Russian intelligence smashed the ball out of the park in 2016.

• Options

In our case the secret was, well it was a secret - we got married and then told everyone the next day.
  • Options

Legatum Group response...

“Christopher Chandler has never been associated directly or indirectly with Russian intelligence or the Russian state. Neither Christopher Chandler nor anyone at Legatum is aware of any such alleged “investigation” by French authorities, not 16 years ago or at any time since. To be clear Christopher Chandler has never been approached at any time by the French or any other authorities regarding Russia and maintains a sterling record of ethical business practices earned over many decades. These accusations are complete nonsense, and have been previously rebutted by the Legatum Group

https://www.legatum.com/news/legatum-group-response-to-the-sunday-times-article-3rd-december-2017/

I think they should have gone the FO not confirming not denying, or better yet say nothing. Actually saying he's never been associated with the Russians reminds me of that great lecture by the US lawyer about why you should never talk to the police...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Ah, shadowy figures manipulating things behind the scenes, of course. What other explanation could there be?
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    TOPPING said:

Yes, because they'll be counting it by STV

• Options

Ah, shadowy figures manipulating things behind the scenes, of course. What other explanation could there be?

https://theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/28/apology-christopher-chandler
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

After Thursday evening I doubt I'll be in a position to know.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

<

Maybe. I think it has potential though.
    Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

Not easily, at any rate.

It is one of those things where you wonder why it is such a seemingly persistent issue - so many places the loos are of equal floorspace, is it so hard to just set aside more room for the ladies' room so they can fit more in? Apparently so.
  • Options
    On the toilet issue, there is another scenario: Offices with equal provision that are then occupied by engineering companies with an 80% male workforce.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Less than £500 in our case covering dinner for the family, dancing and an evening party. It needs you to do a lot of the work yourself. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves and we're still happily married!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Less than £500 in our case covering dinner for the family, dancing and an evening party. It needs you to do a lot of the work yourself. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves and we're still happily married!
    Good on you. :)
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Good on you. :)
    Getting married in a few weeks time, managing to keep it under £7,500. 60 guests at reception a further 50 in the evening... Took some doing to keep it at that price. Second time round for both of us..
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Superb :)
  • Options

Big shrug.....
    Calling someone a Coconut meets the level necessary for a criminal conviction (rightly or wrongly). It is extremely offensive for what lies underneath it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12685953
  • Options

On the toilet issue, there is another scenario: Offices with equal provision that are then occupied by engineering companies with an 80% male workforce.

A techie and toilet related anecdote I heard recently: an acquaintance of mine got a contracting job at a startup. On his first day, the company boss gave a ten-minute talk to the entire company about the proper use of the toilet.

It was, shall we say, an interesting introduction to the company ...
  • Options
    Roger said:

FPT.

Roger said:

OT. cyclefree. Thanks for your interesting comment on my cafe owner friend. You're more compassionate than the average PBer. Out of interest one piece of information that I didn't know when I wrote that letter is that he had produced a work permit but it was a fake. One readily available on the internet apparently and whether because it was convincing or he was too inexperienced to know the difference I don't know but £15,000 is a big price to pay for a very honest mistake.

That all makes sense, Roger, but what I can't get my head round is that you blame the Conservatives for this. Do you not know that these rules and penalties were introduced by the last Labour government? The selectivity of your indignation is a wonder to behold.
    Richard. That's true but from my research 1. The fines have trebled 2. The insidiousness of offering a lesser fine for information about other illegals is new.
    Isnt that just the difference between a whore and an escort? The price?
    Semantics.
This discussion has been closed.