Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB/Polling Matters podcast: Rudd resigns, immigration, Tru

SystemSystem Posts: 11,004
edited May 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB/Polling Matters podcast: Rudd resigns, immigration, Trump’s visit, plus a look ahead to the local elections

On this week’s podcast, Leo Barasi returns and discusses the latest glut of voting intention polls with Keiran Pedley. Leo and Keiran look at what is behind the differences in voting intention figures between pollsters, how Corbyn’s personal poll ratings compare historically and the importance of the economy is in current polling.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,879
    edited May 2018
    First.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    Second, which is one place higher than Boris can aspire to in a Tory leadership contest.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Third - like Corbyn at PMQs.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    How the fuck did Roma beat Barca.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    FPT
    With regards to Brexit, it seems like the government are still trying to work out what they want. Of course, they should have worked that out before triggering article 50, and there should also have been some sort of further public consultation on it, given the vast constitutional implications. So, we are still dealing with the fall out of poor political judgement, in both the way the referendum was framed, and in the aftermath of it.

It is hard to see what deal is going to emerge. It seems more likely that are going to be faced with a choice between crashing out, and some sort of punitive 'interim' deal, rolling over and over indefinetly. So, BINO, but not even quite that. More like 'Brexit deferred'.

I'd go for the crashing out, to be honest. Deferring Brexit endlessly and finding new weasel words to explain it is not honoring the referendum result. We just ultimately have to take the hit and face the consequences of it.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,890
    nielh said:

FPT
    With regards to Brexit, it seems like the government are still trying to work out what they want. Of course, they should have worked that out before triggering article 50, and there should also have been some sort of further public consultation on it, given the vast constitutional implications. So, we are still dealing with the fall out of poor political judgement, in both the way the referendum was framed, and in the aftermath of it.

It is hard to see what deal is going to emerge. It seems more likely that are going to be faced with a choice between crashing out, and some sort of punitive 'interim' deal, rolling over and over indefinetly. So, BINO, but not even quite that. More like 'Brexit deferred'.

I'd go for the crashing out, to be honest. Deferring Brexit endlessly and finding new weasel words to explain it is not honoring the referendum result. We just ultimately have to take the hit and face the consequences of it.

Beano or Mad Max - whichever it is will be deeply unpopular, and the Tories will own it. JC may as well start preparing for government now. God help us!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    I put the odds at BINO 40%; endless transition 30%; referendum and reversal 20%; WTO crash-out 10%.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    edited May 2018
    PClipp said:

The view of Labour supporters is irrelevant.
    The key metric is the view of Conservative supporters. Only if they turn against Brexit will there be any change, and I believe they're still solid in favour.

Only because Conservatives always play "follow my leader". Weren`t most of them in favour of remaining, when Mr Cameron was leading them?
    In-built sheep mentality - you see it on here with the otherwise intelligent Carlotta and HYUFD. Neobrexiteer syndrome being one of many examples.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

One of the eternal mysteries of the beautiful game.
  • Options

I put the odds at BINO 40%; endless transition 30%; referendum and reversal 20%; WTO crash-out 10%.

Endless translation is the way to go. Long grass strategy. Effective, powerful and relatively painless.
  • Options

I think what is seriously underestimated / underpriced is the prospect of another general election, either this year or next.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Endless translation is the way to go. Long grass strategy. Effective, powerful and relatively painless.
    That sounds like the sort of solution that would appeal to an organisation with 24 official languages!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,895
    nielh said:

I think what is seriously underestimated / underpriced is the prospect of another general election, either this year or next.
    A GE this year is OVERpriced, not under.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

To my mind, its the most likely option. I'd put the odds way higher than 30%.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    nielh said:

I can't see a path to a GE in the next 18 months. Would the ERG crowd or the DUP seriously vote down the government?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    I see there's another poll, this time from BMG, showing Con 39%, Lab 38%, Lib Dem 11%, but it's a fortnight old.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Anazina said:

Ok so Jezza gets 340 seats in 2022. We’ll all just ignore it. We can have five years of endless transition. Effective, powerful and relatively painless.
  • Options

nielh said:

I can't see a path to a GE in the next 18 months. Would the ERG crowd or the DUP seriously vote down the government?
    DUP more likely to than the ERG, but we have the FTPA so unless May has another fit of the vapours..
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nielh said:

DUP more likely to than the ERG, but we have the FTPA so unless May has another fit of the vapours..
    A no confidence vote followed by 14 days without a reverse is enough to secure a new GE under FTPA.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Anazina said:

Ok so Jezza gets 340 seats in 2022. We’ll all just ignore it. We can have five years of endless transition. Effective, powerful and relatively painless.
    Sounds like a good scheme, surprised you're advocating it though! :smile:
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    FPT
    Charles said:

Let’s all laugh at fat people shall we?

Jeesh
    No, let's laugh at people who start a process which leads to them getting hurt in an entirely predictable way. Kind of like Brexit, y'know?

And thanks to your po-faced reply we can also enjoy a smirk at Leavers displaying a sense of humour bypass!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,688
    edited May 2018
    nielh said:

FPT

The Leave campaign implicitly promised no substantial change and keep everything we like ("Project Fear", "£350m per week for the NHS). You can't do that with a crash out. In any case Leave need Brexit to be a success ("that wasn't so bad, was it?").

The trick I think is meaningful Brexit, but not yet. Divergence but not yet. Customs Union for now but we will definitely be out later.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Any local election anecdotes ? Vibrant or a big yawn ? To my shame, I did absolutely nothing! The leaflets are still with me. However, the Labour vote in my ward is around 10%.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,242
    edited May 2018
    welshowl said:

Anazina said:

Looking at wiki on opinion polls there is a very obvious move away from labour and to the conservatives almost certainly beginning with Corbyn's attitude on Salisbury and Syria and including the anti semitic problems in labour.

It is also showing that Windrush has had little negatives for the conservatives, probably as labour (and the SNP) tie themselves in knots over illegal immigration

I still expect the clear winners outside London will be the Lib Dems but expect there may be something in the results for each party.

The funny story of today was when Dawn Butler was challenged on Sky that labour were trailing on who best to do Brexit and run the economy. She replied (yes honestly)

'That is not my experience in my constituency' (73% labour voting Brent)
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,127
    How about a temporary "hard border" in Ireland until a EITHER a fully technological solution is produced OR a comprehensive FTA with the EU is agreed?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    If Liverpool do end up winning the Champions League, it will surely be as champions with the worst defensive record in history. Such a shambles at the back, and more indecisive than a Theresa May Cabinet meeting.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

It is also showing that Windrush has had little negatives for the conservatives, probably as labour (and the SNP) tie themselves in knots over illegal immigration

I would have said it's at least a more likely possibility that almost everyone who would consider changing their vote over Windrush was already voting Labour or other anyway.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Pulpstar said:

nielh said:

A no confidence vote followed by 14 days without a reverse is enough to secure a new GE under FTPA.
    Although it has to be a formal motion of no confidence. The government can no longer declare that it will treat the result of any given vote as a confidence matter.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I would have said it's at least a more likely possibility that almost everyone who would consider changing their vote over Windrush was already voting Labour or other anyway.
    Lack of immediate political impact doesn't make it ok, of course.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Not even 1% chance of an agreed Brexit deal?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Absolutely but TM has apologised several times and action is being taken
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

No, of course not. But how many people who already vote Conservative would be swayed by it? People who vote on the basis of morality and justice ahead of other factors were the ones who were shall we say unenthused by Mrs May's campaign last year. So it may impact on how they are perceived by the dwindling number of waverers, but unless it shows them as so mind-bendingly incompetent they are unfit for government (or at least, more unfit for government than Corbyn) it's not something I think will shift substantial numbers of votes away from the Tories.

And of course it has already had a political impact. Rudd has resigned, leaving May exposed. It's now pretty well inconceivable she will still be in post on 1st January 2020.
  • Options

In four months, with people as useless, arrogant, lazy and complacent as Selmayr, Barnier, Davis and Rycroft negotiating?

No.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

nielh said:

The Fixed Term Parliament Act must be a strong candidate for the most inaccurately name act in British political history.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

FPT

Charles said:

Jeesh
    No, let's laugh at people who start a process which leads to them getting hurt in an entirely predictable way. Kind of like Brexit, y'know?

And thanks to your po-faced reply we can also enjoy a smirk at Leavers displaying a sense of humour bypass!

BTW that video looks faked.

Blue deliberately goes down, and yellow watches the seat to time her 'hit'.

• Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    edited May 2018
    surby said:

Any local election anecdotes ? Vibrant or a big yawn ? To my shame, I did absolutely nothing! The leaflets are still with me. However, the Labour vote in my ward is around 10%.

On Monday somebody went to the trouble of returning one of the leaflets that I'd delivered... I was out at the time so they probably found it a bit of an anticlimax. :) That's what you get when you deliver on your own street though.

Last Saturday I got shouted at in the street by a particularly vile Labour supporter for putting a Lib Dem leaflet through her door.

That aside, I'm finding it quite enjoyable - but it's the first set of elections that I've ever helped out with so I'm probably biased and certainly without any reasonable comparisons.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

No, of course not. But how many people who already vote Conservative would be swayed by it? People who vote on the basis of morality and justice ahead of other factors were the ones who were shall we say unenthused by Mrs May's campaign last year. So it may impact on how they are perceived by the dwindling number of waverers, but unless it shows them as so mind-bendingly incompetent they are unfit for government (or at least, more unfit for government than Corbyn) it's not something I think will shift substantial numbers of votes away from the Tories.

And of course it has already had a political impact. Rudd has resigned, leaving May exposed. It's now pretty well inconceivable she will still be in post on 1st January 2020.
    Like Merkel, she may be around for ages.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Around 75% likelihood, I think. Was 2/3rds even before the negotiations started; now two stages of the agreement have concluded, we're more likely to get an agreed deal.

It isn't in the fundamental interest of either party in the negotiation not to have a deal; this is what people need to remember. The EU need to fill a hole in their budget, and the UK needs an arrangement which passes the political smell test.
  • Options

surby said:

On Monday somebody went to the trouble of returning one of the leaflets that I'd delivered... I was out at the time so they probably found it a bit of an anticlimax. :) That's what you get when you deliver on your own street though.

Last Saturday I got shouted at in the street by a particularly vile Labour supporter for putting a Lib Dem leaflet through her door.

That aside, I'm finding it quite enjoyable - but's it's the first set of elections that I've ever helped out with so I'm probably biased and certainly without any reasonable comparisons.
    Can I thank you, on behalf of the people you are leafleting, for taking the time to ask them for their votes, and give some sign you care?

I've had one leaflet, from Labour. My ward is so safe only the Tories and the Greens are even bothering to put up paper candidates. The 'can't be arsed' attitude is pretty annoying.

The Scots had a very sensible idea in reforming local elections. Here's hoping the English follow suit soon.
  • Options

surby said:

That aside, I'm finding it quite enjoyable - but it's the first set of elections that I've ever helped out with so I'm probably biased and certainly without any reasonable comparisons.
    Bad luck on the vileness. I find it is a really, really rare exception. Most people are lovely when you engage with them on the campaign trail.

Chin up. And good on you for getting involved, even tho. we're on different teams.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I don't know the reasons for opposing that motion yet, but if they are sound, then presumably headlines like that were the whole point of it in the first place.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Around 75% likelihood, I think. Was 2/3rds even before the negotiations started; now two stages of the agreement have concluded, we're more likely to get an agreed deal.

It isn't in the fundamental interest of either party in the negotiation not to have a deal; this is what people need to remember. The EU need to fill a hole in their budget, and the UK needs an arrangement which passes the political smell test.
    If one party in the negotiation doesn't know what it wants, then the negotiation isn't going to get anywhere, which seems to be the problem at the moment. It is more likely that you just end up with a temporary fix, based on a budget contribution in exchange for access to the single market.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Pulpstar said:

nielh said:

A GE this year is OVERpriced, not under.
    @neilh - so bet that way. (If you really believe that something is 'seriously' mispriced then you'll probably want to have a pretty serious stake. I think it's probable that you'd prefer to revise your 'seriously mispriced' view long before you commit to sticking a goodly part of your wealth on a bet along these lines. That's certainly been my experience.)

(for what it's worth I think @6.6 for 2018 is a bit long, but I'm certainly not backing it at that price.)

• Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I don't know the reasons for opposing that motion yet, but if they are sound, then presumably headlines like that were the whole point of it in the first place.
    Javid announced an independent enquiry into Windrush during the debate thereby rendering labour's game playing void
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Mortimer said:

The problem is the EU, already with a strong hand, scent weakness because the government has handled things so badly, so that they are playing even harder ball. Whatever the fundamental interests of both sides there is the risk of overplaying things and cocking it up - for the EU that might be relying on us to 'see sense' and make even more compromises, but that may not be politically possible, and on our end that is not coming up with unified stances even within government at this late stage, and general fumbling to try to please the unpleasable.
  • Options
    Christ, I've not see a defender have as bad a game as Alexander-Arnold in a long long time - he practically looks like he has never been on a football pitch before, he is so often out of position.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    ydoethur said:

Can I thank you, on behalf of the people you are leafleting, for taking the time to ask them for their votes, and give some sign you care?

I've had one leaflet, from Labour. My ward is so safe only the Tories and the Greens are even bothering to put up paper candidates. The 'can't be arsed' attitude is pretty annoying.

The Scots had a very sensible idea in reforming local elections. Here's hoping the English follow suit soon.

Thank you... well I've been too long not involved. I should have jumped in sooner. :)

We're fighting hard in two wards in my city - both against Labour. I've been involved in delivering in both. 4 leaflets in our top target and 2 in our second target. On paper they are both pretty safe Labour wards (though we have held one of them before) but both have retiring councillors this time so we're pushing hard and Labour are not very happy to see us to say the least - as they have such a sense of entitlement here. The other parties are not doing anything in these particular wards but the Conservatives will certainly be targeting elsewhere in the city as it's a tough cycle for Labour. They are defending 10 out of the 11 seats up this time (I think... ).

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

FPT

Charles said:

Jeesh

Are you sure you have thought through all the implications of proudly proclaiming that you lost an argument with the most fuckwitted bozos in the history of the earth?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Christ, I've not see a defender have as bad a game as Alexander-Arnold in a long long time - he practically looks like he has never been on a football pitch before, he is so often out of position.

Roma have been poor - Real Madrid will be a different proposition
  • Options
    edited May 2018

kle4 said:

Roma have been poor - Real Madrid will be a different proposition
    They've not been superb either this year (Ronaldo has though, I believe) - the odds will be with them, with their record and players, but clearly anything can happen on the night with Liverpool - beat Man City, lose to West Brom after all.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    There's a keen LAB voter living round the corner from me who has put a poster up. Funny that given that we don't have any elections here in Bedford this year
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    So before the tie began, I had hoped that both games would end 0-0 with Roma winning on penalties. :(
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited May 2018

surby said:

I wonder if she was a Tory or Labour member. There’s no excuse for behaviour like that, but in my experience both Labour and Tory activists take greater exception to Lib Dems than each other. The heroically-misleading bar charts eventually get to you.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

surby said:

Some people can be funny when you deliver leaflets. To be honest it is usually Labour supporters who become nasty in my experience. That said, I have never delivered leaflets for Labour or Lib Dem. These days I would not deliver leaflets for anyone!
  • Options
    Ronaldo must be licking his lips contemplating Liverpool's comedy defence.
  • Options

There's a keen LAB voter living round the corner from me who has put a poster up. Funny that given that we don't have any elections here in Bedford this year

He's angling for the post of Shadow Home Secretary and demonstrating he can't count?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,817
    Scott_P said:
    Only 180 Lab MPs voted for disclosure.

The PLP is useless
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

welshowl said:

Anazina said:

Looking at wiki on opinion polls there is a very obvious move away from labour and to the conservatives almost certainly beginning with Corbyn's attitude on Salisbury and Syria and including the anti semitic problems in labour.

I still expect the clear winners outside London will be the Lib Dems but expect there may be something in the results for each party.

The funny story of today was when Dawn Butler was challenged on Sky that labour were trailing on who best to do Brexit and run the economy. She replied (yes honestly)

Over the last month, there has been a small move away from Labour towards the minor parties. It is hard to pin down the reason. It could be the result of greater visibility of minor parties in local elections. I doubt that it is Salisbury and Syria. More likely dustbins and potholes. The Windrush confirmation of the Tories as the Nasty Party hasn't worked through into the polls yet.

For the record the movement in shares over the last month (12 polls using exponential moving averages) is:

Con 41.3% to 41.4%
    Lab 40.9% to 39.9%
    LD 7.6% to 7.9%
    UKIP 2.9% to 3.3%
    Grn 2.3% to 2.6%
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,952

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/991728233728102407
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,817
    Helping out in Amber Valley tomorrow.

Apparently couple of wards on a knife edge
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The PLP is useless
    They're all you've got I'm afraid, and a lot of them will be there if Corbyn wins a GE.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

welshowl said:

Anazina said:

Over the last month, there has been a small move away from Labour towards the minor parties. It is hard to pin down the reason. It could be the result of greater visibility of minor parties in local elections. I doubt that it is Salisbury and Syria. More likely dustbins and potholes. The Windrush confirmation of the Tories as the Nasty Party hasn't worked through into the polls yet.

For the record the movement in shares over the last month (12 polls using exponential moving averages) is:

Con 41.3% to 41.4%
    Lab 40.9% to 39.9%
    LD 7.6% to 7.9%
    UKIP 2.9% to 3.3%
    Grn 2.3% to 2.6%
    If you say so
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    Oooo. Liverpool panic time?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918

Phew. No. :)
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    TGOHF said:
    No, they'll give it to Kim Jong-un.......
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    TGOHF said:

Next: How North Korea's hackers helped Trump win the presidency.

• Options

We just call it 'time' since it is always a panic. It doesn't always look it, when we're several goals up, but it's always there under the service.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

I wonder if she was a Tory or Labour member. There’s no excuse for behaviour like that, but in my experience both Labour and Tory activists take greater exception to Lib Dems than each other. The heroically-misleading bar charts eventually get to you.

Oh the horrible ranting woman was definitely Labour through and through. She has a Labour poster up now anyway and I hear she had a go at other of our members again today. I mean I have I Lib Dem poster up in my window but I don't freak out when stuff from other parties comes through my door. People are odd...

Interestingly enough, we're not pushing hard on the bar chart thing here really. I think only one of our leaflets had one. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    ydoethur said:

I think the tories have played an absolute blinder by putting appointing Javid as home secretary, in response to the Windrush issues.

The broader point though is that, by the time of the next election, the tories are likely to have been in government for over a decade. It is hard to point to anything concrete or serious over the past 8 years that successive conservative governments have actually achieved, other than simply keeping the ship afloat. For many people though, that isn't enough. The cuts have not reduced the deficit, which is just growing. The same fundamental economic problems of the 2000's essentially prevail. There is no economic diversification strategy. Essentially, there is no economic plan. Housing is still a massive problem, getting worse. Wages have been stagnating. Large areas of public service (ie the criminal justice system) are essentially run on the goodwill of individuals, who keep battling on in the face of mindless government absurdity.

The tories have been there for nearly a decade, and they have run out of other people to blame. They can't blame the previous labour government any more. They can't blame public sector workers and 'waste', because they've been cutting that every year. They can't even lie any more (ie lying that we have the worlds biggest budget for legal aid), because the other side will just lie as well (ie lying that we can raise public spending). And so the problems mount.

And, thats before you look at brexit. They have made their voters happy by having a referendum and honouring the result, but it seems quite unlikely that even that will be delivered in a meaningful way that pleases their voters. So any Tory increase in these opinion polls is, in my view, unlikely to be sustained. Ultimately, the pendulum is going to swing towards Labour.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

You stick up a poster for two reasons I guess - either you just like to see the poster displayed, or you think it'll influence others. The latter motive is frankly a bit shabby. It's politics. The former though is something that is just what it is, and congratulations to the poster-displayer for that if it's the case.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Interestingly enough, we're not pushing hard on the bar chart thing here really. I think only one of our leaflets had one. :D
    And you call yourselves LDs? For shame.
  • Options

Some people can be funny when you deliver leaflets. To be honest it is usually Labour supporters who become nasty in my experience. That said, I have never delivered leaflets for Labour or Lib Dem. These days I would not deliver leaflets for anyone!

Is it very wrong of me to enjoy delivering leaflets more on weekdays when people are out than at weekends when they are at home? :D

• Options
    nielh said:

ydoethur said:

I think the tories have played an absolute blinder by putting appointing Javid as home secretary, in response to the Windrush issues.

The broader point though is that, by the time of the next election, the tories are likely to have been in government for over a decade. It is hard to point to anything concrete or serious over the past 8 years that successive conservative governments have actually achieved, other than simply keeping the ship afloat. For many people though, that isn't enough. The cuts have not reduced the deficit, which is just growing. The same fundamental economic problems of the 2000's essentially prevail. There is no economic diversification strategy. Essentially, there is no economic plan. Housing is still a massive problem, getting worse. Wages have been stagnating. Large areas of public service (ie the criminal justice system) are essentially run on the goodwill of individuals, who keep battling on in the face of mindless government absurdity.

The tories have been there for nearly a decade, and they have run out of other people to blame. They can't blame the previous labour government any more. They can't blame public sector workers and 'waste', because they've been cutting that every year. They can't even lie any more (ie lying that we have the worlds biggest budget for legal aid), because the other side will just lie as well (ie lying that we can raise public spending). And so the problems mount.

And, thats before you look at brexit. They have made their voters happy by having a referendum and honouring the result, but it seems quite unlikely that even that will be delivered in a meaningful way that pleases their voters. So any Tory increase in these opinion polls is, in my view, unlikely to be sustained. Ultimately, the pendulum is going to swing towards Labour.
    Ultimately, the pendulum will swing. But, Labour's current leadership team may ensure that's a long way off.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

surby said:

I have had a LibDem leaflet torn up into tiny squares thrust through my letter box. Must have taken a bit of effort. At least it got their attention

I've also had complaints about putting leaflets through letter boxes marked "No Junk Mail". I've explained that it is important political information about the upcoming election but if they're not interested in who runs their local council, I'll have the literature back thank you very much. (They were obviously Tories so no loss there).
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817

Here in East Ham the curious political ritual continues. The Conservatives are in the side streets with business cards for the candidates in each Ward while Labour is in the High Street and outside the tube station pushing the general vote Labour message and stressing Councillor Fiaz, the Labour Mayoral candidate.

I suspect Labour will win all 60 seats on Newham Council and the mayoralty but I'm expecting one or two closer results in one or two Wards and if one non-Labour candidate got in I wouldn't be massively surprised.

I do think the Conservatives will lose seats on Redbridge - as for Havering, no idea at all.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/991728233728102407
    I'm afraid having met a number of members of Welsh Labour including one of the current executive it wouldn't mystify me at all.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

FPT

Charles said:

Jeesh

I just don’t like mocking other people
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Good for him. A poster does no harm, even gets Labour a plug on a well read national blog.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

welshowl said:

Anazina said:

It’s a good answer. Accurate, honest, plausible and utterly irrelevant to the question
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Right, early to bed, early to rise.

Good luck to all PBers engaged in electioneering tomorrow, regardless of party or persuasion. I hope that your fingers remain unbitten by dogs, your knocking-up sheets remain safe from rain, and your pledges remember both to vote and to vote for your party.

Night all!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2018

Scott_P said:

The PLP is useless
    Perhaps some of them take the view that voting for an absolutely absurd motion, which would cost millions to implement and tie up Home Office staff for many months, all for purely party-political reasons, isn't the right thing to do.

I know, I know, it's a wacky theory. But who knows, perhaps there are still a few dozen Labour MPs of integrity?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

I've also had complaints about putting leaflets through letter boxes marked "No Junk Mail". I've explained that it is important political information about the upcoming election but if they're not interested in who runs their local council, I'll have the literature back thank you very much. (They were obviously Tories so no loss there).

That's a difficult call... the No Junk Mail thing. People can be very touchy about it. I tend to mostly give those doors a miss for fear of provoking them into voting against our candidates out of spite. I agree with you that political info isn't junk mail though.

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited May 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

Good luck to all PBers engaged in electioneering tomorrow, regardless of party or persuasion. I hope that your fingers remain unbitten by dogs, your knocking-up sheets remain safe from rain, and your pledges remember both to vote and to vote for your party.

Night all!

And may all your Shuttleworths (or whatever the other parties call them) print through to the bottom sheet.

Although I doubt anyone actually uses them any more...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,688
    ydoethur said:

Windrush ought to damage the Conservatives but won't because voters won't believe Theresa May consciously targeted for deportation older people who have lived in this country almost all their lives. It's too outrageous to be credible. immigration is a fiddly a topic for most people to get their heads around.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

But I bet it showed why only the LibDems can win here (from fourth!)
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Scott_P said:

The PLP is useless
    Perhaps some of them take the view that voting for an absolutely absurd motion, which would cost millions to implement and tie up Home Office staff for many months, all for purely party-political reasons, isn't the right thing to do.

I know, I know, it's a wacky theory. But who knows, perhaps there are still a few dozen Labour MPs of integrity?
    Seems unlikely to me.... One of their leading backbenchers thought Hips were great when she was in power... Long time ago of course... thank gawd.
  • Options

But I bet it showed why only the LibDems can win here (from fourth!)

Close... It certainly shows why only the Lib Dems can beat Labour. :D

• Options
    rpjs said:

RoyalBlue said:

Night all!

And may all your Shuttleworths (or whatever the other parties call them) print through to the bottom sheet.

I'm intrigued - what is a shuttleworth? A canvassing form?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Anazina said:

MaxPB said:

One of the eternal mysteries of the beautiful game.
    You wouldn't call it beautiful if you were a city fan (Bradford)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:

The PLP is useless

Not an exactly plausible theory though
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

RoyalBlue said:

Night all!

I was curious too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttleworth_(canvassing)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

This comment aged well.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,835
    European Cup Final, Baby! :D
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,890
    Barnesian said:

surby said:

I have had a LibDem leaflet torn up into tiny squares thrust through my letter box. Must have taken a bit of effort. At least it got their attention

I've not had any particularly notable events this time. When leafleting for the general election, though, I did have one bloke angrily chase after me to hand back the leaflet while expressing in forthright terms his opinion of Tim Farron. But that was the exception. Most people tend to be quite friendly.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

That's a difficult call... the No Junk Mail thing. People can be very touchy about it. I tend to mostly give those doors a miss for fear of provoking them into voting against our candidates out of spite. I agree with you that political info isn't junk mail though.

Obviously a closed gate should be closed after leaving the property, but if you pass through an open gate should you shut it after yourself or leave as it was ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

RoyalBlue said:

Night all!

I was curious too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttleworth_(canvassing)
    Woah. Carbon copies?! I'm sure some people use Ipads for that sort of thing now!
This discussion has been closed.