Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB supporters are deluding themselves if they think an anti-C

Comments

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Refusing to invest time on a bank holiday debating any and every self-proclaimed twitter activist doesn’t say anything about the arguments

Refusing to engage in any debate because you have no answers says everything about Brexit
    If “Vulcan shagger” John Redwood wishes to avoid debate on a sunny bank holiday, perhaps he ought to spend time in the garden instead of dialing into LBC.
    If you believe in something you generally don't avoid an opportunity to argue for it. I think a lot of Brexiters are losing their faith at the moment.
    No one is changing their minds, and I don't think Brexiteers are losing faith.
    I do think though, some are realising it won't be as easy as they thought, and are revising their personal recollection of history (as we are all wont to do) or assigning blame to other parties (the EU, the civil service, the media etc.).
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    As for Robbins, the issue isn't his competence, it, IMO, questions over his motivation. From what I've gathered there are some ministers who believe he has purposely led the negotiation on a customs "partnership" into a cul de sac because it leaves the door open to remaining. There are also a few who believe that he has been egging the EU to keep us in the customs union for the same reasons. I don't know whether that's true, but given that he's in the civil service and not answerable to the public we probably won't find out.

Robbins was a senior civil servant in the immigration department when May was at the Home Office, not a time remarked upon for success in that area. Those 10's of thousand Cameron promised or we could throw the Tories out (no ifs, no buts) was his job.

He even got thrown out of the Home Affairs Committee by Vaz for no knowing what the budget for his department was.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36029856
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Refusing to invest time on a bank holiday debating any and every self-proclaimed twitter activist doesn’t say anything about the arguments

Refusing to engage in any debate because you have no answers says everything about Brexit
    the debate was 2 years ago

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

MaxPB said:

I believe his negotiation skills go as far as being able to get out of a wet paper bag.

As for Robbins, the issue isn't his competence, it, IMO, questions over his motivation. From what I've gathered there are some ministers who believe he has purposely led the negotiation on a customs "partnership" into a cul de sac because it leaves the door open to remaining. There are also a few who believe that he has been egging the EU to keep us in the customs union for the same reasons. I don't know whether that's true, but given that he's in the civil service and not answerable to the public we probably won't find out.

Either way it probably is time to replace him, he's clearly proven himself not up to the job along with Davis, Fox and Johnson.

You are right about Robbins motivations but not about his strategy. It was Robbins who convinced May to make the December agreement and to agree to the backstop. By all accounts Davis warned her not to do it. Robbins trick at the moment is to use the NI 'crisis' (that he and Barnier have created as is suits them both) to expand the backstop idea from NI to the whole UK. The customs partnership has always been is his endgame - it not only keeps us in the CU but also requires alignment to the SM. Basically, BRINO.

I don't believe that the EU actually object to the Customs Partnership. They object to MaxFac of course, not because it won't work but because it would and would allow the UK to exit both the CU and SM and leave the EU with no control. I think the EUs rejection of the Customs Partnership is a sham - they intend to grudgingly agree to allow May to save face and distract everyone from the reality which is that it is a complete sellout.

Unfortunately for May and Robbins, the ERG intervened and there were enough cabinet ministers with a brain to point out the obvious - that the customs partnership was just SM membership by another name. May was obviously surprised that she got called out.

However, all that will happen is there will be some tweaks to the model and it will reappear, this time badged as a 'combination' of the Customs Partnership and MaxFac. This is just about muddying the waters. The leavers will complain but don't have the guts to throw May out, and magically the EU will 'backtrack' and agree to the Customs Partnership (if, of course, we agree to follow all SM rules and allow the ECJ to adjudicate and no doubt some ridiculous agreement on FOM which will test even HYUFD's endurance). May will declare a victory and the absolute sheep that are Tory MPs will go along with it.

Unless JRM can save us all bu explaining to the British public that they have been had.....
    I cannot begin to tell you how damaging the perception that it is JRM and allies who are trying to determine what sort of Brexit we will have is to the Tories - at least amongst the sane and the young.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298

I can’t see any alternative in such a scenario for a Lab - LD - SNP - Green - SDLP hookup. Of course, it doesn’t have to be a formal coalition, it could be confidence and supply (which is probably what the LDs would prefer). What it would probably lead to is a very weak government fighting for ally support on each vote, which would go some way to mitigating the excesses of Corbynism.

The issue is that it probably leads to second Scottish referendum. It might also lead to - gasp - another electoral reform referendum.

The Tories are currently on track for the same fate as the National Party in NZ.

Most votes, most seats - but locked out of government by fickle third parties.

The Lib Dem’s first choice - to prove they are not Tory stooges if nothing else - would be to support Labour in confidence & supply - probably in exchange for a new referendum on the EU.

The SNP are never going to support the Tories.

I think Corbyn would eschew any formal arrangement with them - including C&S - if he could get away with it, but neither would be particularly worried about conceding a new Scottish ref.

As of today, a version of the above scenario must be about 50% likely.
    You may be right but in any coalition involving Corbyn his extreme anti capital anti west policies will perish on the vine and his whole political career will end in failure
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

If “Vulcan shagger” John Redwood wishes to avoid debate on a sunny bank holiday, perhaps he ought to spend time in the garden instead of dialing into LBC.
    If you believe in something you generally don't avoid an opportunity to argue for it. I think a lot of Brexiters are losing their faith at the moment.
    I do think though, some are realising it won't be as easy as they thought, and are revising their personal recollection of history (as we are all wont to do) or assigning blame to other parties (the EU, the civil service, the media etc.).
    Whose idea was it anyway? Apparently the Tory party is blameless...
    https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/991619358626598912
    https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/991624078757978112
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Labour is on the cusp of supporting PR anyway so STV for local government is a no-brainer and there is no need for a referendum.The only downer is that one party Labour states will have to put up with a one or two Tories where there are none but I always found it better to see the enemy in plain sight.Caroline Lucas ,Liz Saville Roberts and Jo Swinson would make terrific ministers.Personally,I would be very happy for Tommy Shepherd to take a major role.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848

I can’t see any alternative in such a scenario for a Lab - LD - SNP - Green - SDLP hookup. Of course, it doesn’t have to be a formal coalition, it could be confidence and supply (which is probably what the LDs would prefer). What it would probably lead to is a very weak government fighting for ally support on each vote, which would go some way to mitigating the excesses of Corbynism.

The issue is that it probably leads to second Scottish referendum. It might also lead to - gasp - another electoral reform referendum.

The Tories are currently on track for the same fate as the National Party in NZ.

The Lib Dem’s first choice - to prove they are not Tory stooges if nothing else - would be to support Labour in confidence & supply - probably in exchange for a new referendum on the EU.

I think Corbyn would eschew any formal arrangement with them - including C&S - if he could get away with it, but neither would be particularly worried about conceding a new Scottish ref.

You may be right but in any coalition involving Corbyn his extreme anti capital anti west policies will perish on the vine and his whole political career will end in failure
    Oh, I don’t want this to happen.
    Corbyn may go down in flames, but he’d take the country with him.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Thatvwould very likely prove quite a positive for the PLP.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

When a new government is elected, they don't sit back and proclaim that they have won the debate; they get on with the business of government and are open to challenge from the opposition.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,676
    This will go down well with SLAB:

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/993430293569826816

Of course, being 'private' its in the Herald.....
  • Options

Cyclefree

I cannot begin to tell you how damaging the perception that it is JRM and allies who are trying to determine what sort of Brexit we will have is to the Tories - at least amongst the sane and the young.

..............................................................................................................................

The whole issue is a mess and it will come to a head when the HOC votes for a customs union and effectively closes JRM and his groups chances of making further progress.

However, if Corbyn acts in any way to jeopardise the vote the whole narrative will change and a split in labour will come nearer, as for the conservatives Corbyn is the glue that will keep them together
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

what if theyre just bored listening to the same people repeat the same arguments over and over again ?
    A variation on the theme of repeating the same process and expecting a different result.....imbecility....
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Why is Olly Robbins suddenly in the line of Brexiter fire?

Shoot the messenger, blame the person who can't defend himself in the press.
    The "stab in the back" excuse is a perennial favourite of Populists when their policies collapse.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Thatvwould very likely prove quite a positive for the PLP.
    For everyone I would suggest apart from his cabal
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

The debate this morning that Femi was trying to engage Redwood in was the nature of Brexit, whether CU or not. I believe that is still a live issue in Cabinet.

When debate reared its ugly head, the Brexiteers bravely turned and fled...
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

The "stab in the back" excuse is a perennial favourite of Populists when their policies collapse.
    Isn't that the excuse the LibDems used when they lost the AV referendum ?

And the excuse the Cameroons used when they lost the EU referendum ?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848

Corbyn is not a unionist. Of course he supports Scottish independence, if there was to be vote in favour. And nor would he attempt to avoid such a vote, or campaign actively.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

It won't be too long before Brexit is being blamed on Labour, just like the 3 day week.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

what if theyre just bored listening to the same people repeat the same arguments over and over again ?
    A variation on the theme of repeating the same process and expecting a different result.....imbecility....
    You could say boredom is being weaponised by Remain. People are sick of hearing about Brexit and wish it would go away.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

Corbyn is not a unionist. Of course he supports Scottish independence, if there was to be vote in favour. And nor would he attempt to avoid such a vote, or campaign actively.
    Corbyn wants a United Ireland again too.

He also is a republican who in his guts would abolish the monarchy. What he wants is to be PM of a socialist republic ideally but he knows he cannot say that publicly
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Labour is on the cusp of supporting PR anyway so STV for local government is a no-brainer and there is no need for a referendum.The only downer is that one party Labour states will have to put up with a one or two Tories where there are none but I always found it better to see the enemy in plain sight.Caroline Lucas ,Liz Saville Roberts and Jo Swinson would make terrific ministers.Personally,I would be very happy for Tommy Shepherd to take a major role.

Blair apparently supported PR after 18 years of Tory rule. Then they got a majority of >150 and power went to his head. It was especially tempting to stick with FPTP when it gave them a majority of ~50 on a similar percent vote to the Tories.

I haven't heard much from them on the subject since this happened

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-mps-write-to-jeremy-corbyn-to-ask-him-to-back-proportional-representation-a7014456.html.

I also thought Corbyn said recently that he supports FPTP? Report on R4, I think.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Isn't that the excuse the LibDems used when they lost the AV referendum ?

And the excuse the Cameroons used when they lost the EU referendum ?
    Whilst the case for AV is of course utterly perfect in every way, shape and form... I'm not sure I'd describe it as a 'populist' reform...
  • Options

The latest New Zealand poll has the Nationals under new leader Simon Bridges still 1% ahead of Jacinda Ardern's governing Labour Party

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_New_Zealand_general_election

I expect the LDs would block any new indyref2 along with Labour backbenchers so the SNP could not make that a condition of any indyref2 and by the 2022 general election date unionist parties will likely have won a majority at Holyrood anyway after the 2021 Scottish Parliament elections
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

Blair apparently supported PR after 18 years of Tory rule. Then they got a majority of >150 and power went to his head. It was especially tempting to stick with FPTP when it gave them a majority of ~50 on a similar percent vote to the Tories.

I haven't heard much from them on the subject since this happened

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-mps-write-to-jeremy-corbyn-to-ask-him-to-back-proportional-representation-a7014456.html.

I also thought Corbyn said recently that he supports FPTP? Report on R4, I think.
    Not sure that's entirely fair on Blair. Prescott blocked any move towards PR and told Blair it was one of the few things that would be a red line for him (and that part of the party he represented).

Blair had led Ashdown to believe there might be some kind of Lib-Lab arrangement after the GE, but the massive majority did put paid to that.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

It won't be too long before Brexit is being blamed on Labour, just like the 3 day week.
    Maybe rightly so. Arguably if Corbyn had got off his backside during the referendum we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Robert Peston is quite a strange person isn't he?
  • Options
    The whole thread William Glenn posted from is worth a look. Particularly if you are under the impression that Brexit is some kind of revolt against the elite.

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/991609012188827649
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Labour either have to be polling well enough to be on course for a majority or to make real inroads into the SNP vote in Scotland to avoid the whole SNP holding the balance of power issue coming up again. It could be even worse for Labour than in 2015 if Corbyn is perceived as being sympathetic to Scottish independence.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,462

Elements of the left of the Labour Party have always been a bit uncomfortable about electoral reform - PR reduces the opportunity for a Labour majority to push through socialist policies. There would inevitably have to be more compromise in a system that would rely on coalition government with (probably) more centrist forces.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

The debate this morning that Femi was trying to engage Redwood in was the nature of Brexit, whether CU or not. I believe that is still a live issue in Cabinet.

When debate reared its ugly head, the Brexiteers bravely turned and fled...
    Thing is, Brexit is easy to deliver, but a successful Brexit is hard, where success is understood by most people to mean nothing much changes. No Project Fear, thank-you. You just end up in damage limitation and so people on both sides of the debate ask why we are going through the grief to get to a situation that is somewhat worse than what we had before. That's the dilemma of Brexit.
  • Options
    Our esteemed foreign secretary will be appearing on Fox & Friends shortly! :D
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Brexiteers had no answers 2 years ago.

2 years on, they have no answers.

The debate will go on for decades.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    GIN1138 said:

Our esteemed foreign secretary will be appearing on Fox & Friends shortly! :D

Well he didn’t get a audience with Trump, so it’s the next best thing to talking to him face to face.
  • Options
    Interesting analysis:

https://www.markpack.org.uk/154799/labour-opposition-leaders-local-elections-record/

Corbynistas - nothing for you to see here...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

You’ve clearly never been nagged by a toddler....
  • Options

Of course we never tired of hearing the headbangers making the same argument for 30 years...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Brexiteers had no answers 2 years ago.

2 years on, they have no answers.

The debate will go on for decades.
    Structurally the biggest vulnerability the Brexiteers have in this debate is that it will only take one opportunist on their side to stand up and say that it's all a waste of time and the whole thing will collapse.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,462

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Labour let the running sores fester during their period in government (possibly as a result of strategically trying to cause further Tory splits). In hindsight they should have neutralised the issues in the late 90s/ early 2000s (when something like the Cameron renegotiation would have probably worked), but hindsight is everything and you can see why there wasn’t much enthusiasm to take the party into a debate on Europe at that time.
  • Options
    Artist said:

It could be even worse for Labour than in 2015 if Corbyn is perceived as being sympathetic to Scottish independence.

It makes the Scottish Tories message very simple - if you're a Unionist, vote Conservative!
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Labour let the running sores fester during their period in government (possibly as a result of strategically trying to cause further Tory splits). In hindsight they should have neutralised the issues in the late 90s/ early 2000s (when something like the Cameron renegotiation would have probably worked), but hindsight is everything and you can see why there wasn’t much enthusiasm to take the party into a debate on Europe at that time.
    This is an oddly revisionist take. The debate that Labour ducked was on joining the Euro, preferring instead to concede to semi-detached status outside the Eurozone.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Tony probably thought he and Cherie would be Emperor and Empress of Europe by now...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    HYUFD said:

Back on topic, I think a coalition of the non-Conservative parties is really unlikely, but LibDems and SNP deciding to keep the Tories in office after 12 years and what would be perceived as electoral defeat would be suicide. In the end, perhaps after a new election, they will need to decide one way or the other, and it probably won't be for the Conservatives.

"'There will be NO DEAL with SNP' Labour leader Corbyn rules out an alliance"

'Jeremy Corbyn says he would "open discussions" with the SNP over a second independence referendum'

'Jeremy Corbyn rejects 'progressive alliance' with SNP - BBC News'

"Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn: 'I will do a deal with the SNP to save Scottish steel industry'"

'“If a referendum is held then it is absolutely fine, it should be held,” he (Corbyn) said. “I don’t think it’s the job of Westminster or the Labour party to prevent people holding referenda.”'

'Jeremy Corbyn Told Me He Backs Scottish Independence, Claims Mhairi Black'

Alternatively, perhaps Jeremy needs to decide one way or the other about the SNP and Scotland.
    By the next general election in 2022 polls project there will be a Unionist majority at Holyrood anyway in the 2021 Holyrood elections making the indyref2 issue less relevant
    Keep those fingers and toes crossed, that must be the most used posting in the history of PB. You wheel it out on a weekly basis. Keep taking those blue pills.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    ydoethur said:

Calling @Sunil_Prasannan

I have come across a Fake News survey on the BBC website.

It claims 92% of passengers are satisfied with Birmingham New Street Station.

This is pretty unconvincing. My guess would be they asked 8 passengers and then the stationmaster 92 times.

Can you get to the bottom of it?

Britain's 'best and worst' railway stations named http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44023411

New Street has just had a multi-million pound renovation. It's much better than it used to be.
  • Options

Artist said:

It could be even worse for Labour than in 2015 if Corbyn is perceived as being sympathetic to Scottish independence.

It makes the Scottish Tories message very simple - if you're a Unionist, vote Conservative!
    Or Lib Dem.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Of course we never tired of hearing the headbangers making the same argument for 30 years...
    You mean Remain had 30 years to come up with a rebuttal....and still lost?

You'll be claiming Remain lost to a bus next.....
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Our policy has not been enacted. That is the point.
  • Options
    William_H said:

I can't see how the SNP could justify propping the conservatives up. Obviously there's plenty of time for realignment if the next election is when its scheduled for, but their current positions don't really allow the option. They could of course cause massive problems for a Labour government and eventually bring it down.

But the Lib Dems are pretty right wing nowadays, so the conservatives are their natural allies. And if they're in a position where they can swing who is PM, that probably means the conservatives have significantly more seats which will help them justify their choice.

Supporting the Tories would be suicide for SNP and will never ever ever happen. As you say the Lib Dems are unprincipled , money grabbing toerags and would sell their soul to the Tories for a pittance.
  • Options

No

All of the arguments by the headbangers we rebutted successfully for 30 years

We lost to an explicitly xenophobic campaign against immigrants
  • Options
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Again, you are ignoring facts. JRM is not determining what Brexit we have - that was done by the British people at the referendum. And both Labour and Conservative MPs were elected on a platform of complying with that instruction properly, involving a complete withdrawal from the SM and CU. JRM is the one being honest - it is the large number of MPs (and Theresa May it seems) who are happy to have lied to the people having been elected under false pretences.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Maybe rightly so. Arguably if Corbyn had got off his backside during the referendum we wouldn't be in this mess.
    That is Mrs Foxys principal objection to Corbyn.
  • Options

Artist said:

LOL, you in the lodge
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Artist said:

Or Lib Dem.
    Two cheeks of the same arse and both have zero hope in Scotland
  • Options

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Our policy has not been enacted. That is the point.
    Purge the Wreckers and the Kulaks! The anti-revolutionary forces must be crushed!

Says one of the many Brexiterts who have personally Brexited for distant shores.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Yes this is correct I feel, although the scenario is less likely for the Tories under the electoral system here compared to New Zealand but I'd far rather have Ardern/Peters/Shaw rather than anything involving Corbyn at the helm.
    So less likely here but worse for the country I reckon.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Cyclefree said:

Again, you are ignoring facts. JRM is not determining what Brexit we have - that was done by the British people at the referendum. And both Labour and Conservative MPs were elected on a platform of complying with that instruction properly, involving a complete withdrawal from the SM and CU. JRM is the one being honest - it is the large number of MPs (and Theresa May it seems) who are happy to have lied to the people having been elected under false pretences.
    Absolute rubbish,Mr Archer. The Referendum never specified what kind of Brexit we ought to end up with. That was one of the major problems with it. Since then, it is Mrs May and her cronies who have tried to impose their own definition on the rest of us. And the definition they come up with is the most damaging to the people of this country as a whole, while possibly the most favourable to Mogg and others - who will of course emerge unscathed.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Anyone who is serious about a hard Brexit should be pushing for a border poll as soon as possible and campaigning for Irish reunification.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    I see Mike likes the word stench and hates Corbyn.

The last election I guess was not good for betting purposes.

Nevertheless always good to see our political pundit class , sometimes are miles out.There was a bloke on UK Polling report from about April 17 , saying Labour would win Canterbury , he was derided from every corner.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    malcolmg said:

William_H said:

I can't see how the SNP could justify propping the conservatives up. Obviously there's plenty of time for realignment if the next election is when its scheduled for, but their current positions don't really allow the option. They could of course cause massive problems for a Labour government and eventually bring it down.

But the Lib Dems are pretty right wing nowadays, so the conservatives are their natural allies. And if they're in a position where they can swing who is PM, that probably means the conservatives have significantly more seats which will help them justify their choice.

Supporting the Tories would be suicide for SNP and will never ever ever happen. As you say the Lib Dems are unprincipled , money grabbing toerags and would sell their soul to the Tories for a pittance.
    They did it a few years ago in Holyrood.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

William_H said:

True arise Sir Nick Clegg.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Scott_P said:

No

All of the arguments by the headbangers we rebutted successfully for 30 years

We lost to an explicitly xenophobic campaign against immigrants
    Lol. Says precious little for the 17m + voters.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So why are we here? There’s the Irish border. Back in December both the UK and EU agreed that there was to be no hard border between the republic and the province, but also that UK was leaving the Customs Union. Now the EU seems to be saying that’s not possible. If there is a contradiction why did EU agree it in December?

No one wants to see a hard border in Northern Ireland and both sides have rightly made a political commitment to avoid one. Therefore a political solution will have to be found. There are no perfect precedents for this precisely because the decision not to have a hard border is political and not replicated on any other frontier.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    So why are we here? There’s the Irish border. Back in December both the UK and EU agreed that there was to be no hard border between the republic and the province, but also that UK was leaving the Customs Union. Now the EU seems to be saying that’s not possible. If there is a contradiction why did EU agree it in December?
    Because the UK agreed to the backstop.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Cyclefree said:

Anyone who is serious about a hard Brexit should be pushing for a border poll as soon as possible and campaigning for Irish reunification.
    A 32 county Ireland is going to happen one day so it might as well be now...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cyclefree said:

No I am not ignoring facts. I am telling you that the perception that it is the JRM tail wagging the May government's dog is doing immense damage amongst a lot of people, principally the young, whom the Tories need as voters. And people like me.

The referendum did not specify what type of Brexit we would get. JRM is very eloquent on what he is against. He is incoherent on what he is for and how it will work in practice. He is living in La-La-Land. And his views are being taken as the views of the Tory party as a whole. I cannot speak for all the young but I can tell you - and I appreciate that this is an anecdote - that the three young voters in my household would rather eat their own poo than vote for a Tory party which dances to the tune of JRM and people like him. I don't suppose they are alone.

How are the Tories - assuming they even want to - going to get their votes or mine if they behave like an eccentric debating group untethered to the concerns of those watching them?

You may think that JRM is polite and articulate and authentic. Others see someone who behind that politeness has odd, old-fashioned and (to some) threatening views and has an odd choice of friends (e.g. Steve Bannon). In many ways, he and Corbyn are a mirror image of each other.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Scott_P said:

No one wants to see a hard border in Northern Ireland and both sides have rightly made a political commitment to avoid one. Therefore a political solution will have to be found. There are no perfect precedents for this precisely because the decision not to have a hard border is political and not replicated on any other frontier.
    Yet another Leaver who angrily insists the EU sorts out the problems that Leave have caused in a manner that suits their own crazed ideology.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

William_H said:

The Orange Book lot, especially. Clegg, Laws, Webb and others.

Laws wanted to turn the NHS into a govt-subsidised private insurance system like Switzerland's ... or even the US. Here's an example of how the US system 'works'
    https://www.healthcare.gov/medicaid-chip/
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In many ways, he and Corbyn are a mirror image of each other.
    While no fan of JRM I haven't seen him consorting with people who've recently connived in the murder of civilians and politicians....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    malcolmg said:
    As it's May Day Malc, special WWII joke for you:

Two Scotsmen are sitting in a bar in July 1940 drinking whisky.

'It's no looking guid,' said one.

'Aye,' replied the other. 'With France gone, the Gairmans are getting close.'

'And there's no so much whisky as there used tae be,' replied the other.

'D'ye think the English will surrender?' asked his companion.

'I dinnae ken,' was the reply. 'But if they do, we may have a wee fight on our hands to beat the Gairmans!'

(As told by former Moderator John Simpson.)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Yet another Leaver who angrily insists the EU sorts out the problems that Leave have caused in a manner that suits their own crazed ideology.
    So to my mind it’s better to accept some friction on trade and allow business the clarity to prepare for that, while the Government pursues and delivers a Maximum Facilitation option which minimises those frictions.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Cyclefree said:

An extreme interpretation, rather than 'facts'.

If you are so dissatisfied, why not fly back the 10,000-odd miles and put us all straight?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Scott_P said:

So to my mind it’s better to accept some friction on trade and allow business the clarity to prepare for that, while the Government pursues and delivers a Maximum Facilitation option which minimises those frictions.
    I’ll have a unicorn as well, if he’s got one going spare.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited May 2018
    Foxy said:

That is Mrs Foxys principal objection to Corbyn.

Jeremy Corbyn, Brexit's Bessy Mate....
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No I am not ignoring facts. I am telling you that the perception that it is the JRM tail wagging the May government's dog is doing immense damage amongst a lot of people, principally the young, whom the Tories need as voters. And people like me.

The referendum did not specify what type of Brexit we would get. JRM is very eloquent on what he is against. He is incoherent on what he is for and how it will work in practice. He is living in La-La-Land. And his views are being taken as the views of the Tory party as a whole. I cannot speak for all the young but I can tell you - and I appreciate that this is an anecdote - that the three young voters in my household would rather eat their own poo than vote for a Tory party which dances to the tune of JRM and people like him. I don't suppose they are alone.

How are the Tories - assuming they even want to - going to get their votes or mine if they behave like an eccentric debating group untethered to the concerns of those watching them?

You may think that JRM is polite and articulate and authentic. Others see someone who behind that politeness has odd, old-fashioned and (to some) threatening views and has an odd choice of friends (e.g. Steve Bannon). In many ways, he and Corbyn are a mirror image of each other.
    I think you are correct about JRM and Corbyn been a mirror image of each other.

However Corbyn has to reconcile , Labour party members which are in the main remain supporters.

JRM if he became leader has no such concerns , as the members have no say , but equally in the main they agree with him anyways.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

In many ways, he and Corbyn are a mirror image of each other.
    While no fan of JRM I haven't seen him consorting with people who've recently connived in the murder of civilians and politicians....
    I wonder what his views are of the NHS. Like Chope and Bone, does he support charges for all NHS services? I think it's a bit much to accuse the Labour left of being that insane, not that it doesn't associate with some undesirable people but one could search and find evidence of many politicians meeting unsavoury characters, even on official government business.
  • Options
    Sir John:

The local elections do not, then, provide any evidence that the link between voters’ attitudes towards the EU and their willingness to vote Conservative has strengthened further. But they do suggest that the reshaping of the electoral terrain that became apparent in the 2017 election was not a short-lived development. The elections confirm that the Conservative party now finds itself supported by a predominantly pro-Leave electorate, and that the party thus has an electoral incentive to deliver a Brexit that meets the aspirations of Leave voters. During the next few weeks and months we will see how the Prime Minister deals with that challenge.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/how-brexit-shaped-the-local-election-vote/
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Cyclefree said:

Absolute rubbish,Mr Archer. The Referendum never specified what kind of Brexit we ought to end up with. That was one of the major problems with it. Since then, it is Mrs May and her cronies who have tried to impose their own definition on the rest of us. And the definition they come up with is the most damaging to the people of this country as a whole, while possibly the most favourable to Mogg and others - who will of course emerge unscathed.
    Once again, you are ignoring facts. The official Leave campaign made it quite clear what they were proposing. Out of the SM and out of the CU with an independent trade policy. Both major parties got elected on that platform. There is no doubt.

Now - lets call out the Remainers on their endless bullshit. If the result was 52/48 in favour of Remain, do we think that Remainers would be suggesting that we should drop down to EEA membership to 'bring the country together'?

I think not.
  • Options

Now - lets call out the Remainers on their endless bullshit. If the result was 52/48 in favour of Remain, do we think that Remainers would be suggesting that we should drop down to EEA membership to 'bring the country together'?

I think not.

If Remain had won we would have 'dropped down to' Cameron's deal which was based on a permanently semi-detached status outside the Eurozone.
  • Options
    Which is dreadful news for the Tories. They are going to have a devil of a job pleasing leave voters without alienating business, the young and foreign investors. No wonder the government can't make decisions.
  • Options
    Will they repeat the allegations outside Parliament?

Legatum calls for accountability from the four MPs who wrongly accused Christopher Chandler, founder and partner, of being a Russian agent.

Christopher Chandler:

Parliamentary privilege is a powerful weapon as it cuts across the fundamental human right to be fairly heard and represented. When that tool is wielded in a careless and cavalier manner, everyone loses. All of this could have been avoided if the MPs had simply contacted me to discuss their concerns. By having taken this very public route, they have not only needlessly and seriously damaged my hard-earned reputation, but also diminished their own reputations and that of Parliament itself. I challenge the four MPs to examine the full factual record and then defend the veracity of their claims and to stand by the courage of their convictions by repeating the allegations outside of the House of Commons where they cannot hide behind Parliamentary privilege."

https://www.legatum.com/news/press-release-legatum-calls-for-accountability-from-four-mps/
  • Options

I think not.

If Remain had won we would have 'dropped down to' Cameron's deal which was based on a permanently semi-detached status outside the Eurozone.
    The only thing that is semi-detached is your logic. So, the Remain plan as set out by the Remain campaign was totally fixed and we would have followed it in full. But the Leave plan as set out by the Leave campaign should be totally ignored and we should aim for an outcome that is totally at odds with what they proposed. Got it.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I think not.

The only thing that is semi-detached is your logic. So, the Remain plan as set out by the Remain campaign was totally fixed and we would have followed it in full. But the Leave plan as set out by the Leave campaign should be totally ignored and we should aim for an outcome that is totally at odds with what they proposed. Got it.
    The future is never fixed, but the immediate consequence of a Remain vote was totally clear and available for all to read in black and white.
  • Options

Which is dreadful news for the Tories. They are going to have a devil of a job pleasing leave voters without alienating business, the young and foreign investors. No wonder the government can't make decisions.
    Nail, head and nutshell.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    ydoethur said:

Calling @Sunil_Prasannan

I have come across a Fake News survey on the BBC website.

It claims 92% of passengers are satisfied with Birmingham New Street Station.

This is pretty unconvincing. My guess would be they asked 8 passengers and then the stationmaster 92 times.

Can you get to the bottom of it?

Britain's 'best and worst' railway stations named http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44023411

I kind of like New Street, I normally stay in Brum and commute to my work in Coventry. I tend to eat in the evenings at Yakinori, Leon or Wasabi :)

My only gripes with the station are that you can only walk from the high-numbered platforms to low-numbered platforms at the so-called B-end of the station. At the A-end, you have to go through ticket barriers.
  • Options

I think not.

Which parallel universe is this, in which the Leave campaign set out its "leave plan"??
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I think not.

Which parallel universe is this, in which the Leave campaign set out its "leave plan"??
    Apparently Douglas Carswell has it... Watching this with the benefit of hindsight should be excruciating for anyone who ever regarded him as an intellectual heavyweight.
    https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/748636642580307968
  • Options

I think not.

The future is never fixed, but the immediate consequence of a Remain vote was totally clear and available for all to read in black and white.
    Yeah, non-legally-binding black and white. Just like the opt out on the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights. So when Cameron's deal was shown to be not worth the paper it was written on, would Remainers be demanding a second referendum?
  • Options

Once again, you are ignoring facts. The official Leave campaign made it quite clear what they were proposing. Out of the SM and out of the CU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGt3QmRSZY
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I think not.

It was very simple. Leave the EU. Leave the SM. Leave the CU. Make all laws in the UK. Control our own immigration policy. Set our own trade policy. Try and get a free trade deal with Europe.

All very clear and all very straightforward to implement. The EU have NO ability to stop the UK putting this plan into place after March 2019. It is the liars who got elected to Parliament on this platform (and the one who managed to hang on as PM) who are refusing to implement it.
  • Options

True , the no decision is running out of road quickly.The decision for the long term will have to be not alienating business , as it is the conservatives raison d'etre.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    I haven't done too much of the National Rail network so far this year - for various reasons. Only bits I've done for the first time are:

Bermondsey Flyover (between London Bridge/New Cross Gate) - new construction
    St Pancras to Finsbury Park (London) - new construction
    Ordsall Curve (Manchester) - new construction
    Lancaster to Morecambe and Heysham - Morecambe to Heysham only runs once a day!
    Newport to Swansea
    Also - just for a bit fun! - Chester Zoo monorail

And also visited Kenilworth station, south of Coventry - it reopened just a week ago!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I think not.

It was very simple. Leave the EU. Leave the SM. Leave the CU. Make all laws in the UK. Control our own immigration policy. Set our own trade policy. Try and get a free trade deal with Europe.

All very clear and all very straightforward to implement. The EU have NO ability to stop the UK putting this plan into place after March 2019. It is the liars who got elected to Parliament on this platform (and the one who managed to hang on as PM) who are refusing to implement it.
    You really do need to buy that long haul air ticket; the country is lost without your wisdom and insight.
  • Options

Corbyn also has to balance the almost 40% of Labour voters who voted Leave in 2016 and the 20% of 2015 UKIP voters who voted for him in 2017 with the majority of Labour voters and members who voted Remain
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I haven't done too much of the National Rail network so far this year - for various reasons. Only bits I've done for the first time are:

Bermondsey Flyover (between London Bridge/New Cross Gate) - new construction
    St Pancras to Finsbury Park (London) - new construction
    Ordsall Curve (Manchester) - new construction
    Lancaster to Morecambe and Heysham - Morecambe to Heysham only runs once a day!
    Newport to Swansea
    Also - just for a bit fun! - Chester Zoo monorail

And also visited Kenilworth station, south of Coventry - it reopened just a week ago!

Did you travel on the Birmingham Airport MagLev link when it was in operation between 1984 and 1995? It was the world's first and only MagLev at the time. It's been replaced by a boring electric rail system because they couldn't find the parts to repair it.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

True , the no decision is running out of road quickly.The decision for the long term will have to be not alienating business , as it is the conservatives raison d'etre.
    Not quite, the business community supported the Liberals before they switched to the Tories over fear of Labour, pensioners and rural areas have an even longer tradition of supporting the Tories than the business community
This discussion has been closed.