Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The last LE2018 post: How the main academic election predictio

Comments

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    GIN1138 said:

If The Three Brexiteers resign from the Cabinet today what does May do?

A leadership challenge would ensue.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,047
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    This is certainly going to hurt the border towns, at least until England does something similar. You don't have to be a fan of Nicola to wonder if alcohol at less than 50p a unit is a good idea.
    David, surprised you are taken in by the hype. There has been little to no change , cheap muck at bottom may have gone up but any premium / quality beer / wine / spirits have not changed one iota. Unionist right wing cretinous bollox.
    There are significant differences in price on most vodkas, some blended whiskies, cheap wine (Tesco was previously selling bottles down to £4 or even less) and cheap ciders. Some of these have almost doubled in price, especially the vodkas. As I say I personally am persuaded that this is a good thing and that really cheap alcohol was a bad thing causing serious damage to those who take it as well as adverse social consequences. But then, like you, the minimum price has not really affected me.
    Isnt this just more middle class overlording ?

The middle classes and professions are currently the nation's heaviest drinkers

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/uk-most-frequent-drinkers-lawyers-doctors-city-professionals-alcohol-consumption-statistics-a8330741.html

Yes it is which makes me uncomfortable. But having seen 2 daughters through their teens in recent years loading up with "pre's" (I am not sure how to spell it to be honest) at friend's houses before they went out there is no question that there remains an issue amongst the young, even if an increasing number of them don't drink at all reducing their average.

We see the social consequences on our streets and in Scotland at least it is an issue. We drink significantly more than the English on average and it is one of the factors that reduces our life expectancies (its also a lot easier to do something about than the depressing weather and lack of sunlight for months on end). There are arguments both ways but on balance I came down in support of minimum pricing.
    Couldn't the Scottish government have increased alcohol duty across the board rather than aimed this tax rise at the low paid ?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,929
    GIN1138 said:

Celebrate?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    GIN1138 said:

They wont. They'd embarrass a trio of leeches if it came to losing their jobs
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Another perspective on 'the best Labour performance since 1971':

ttps://twitter.com/colinrtalbot/status/992744992715223040

Yeahbut London was turned into an awesome sea of red so nothing else counts.

Meanwhile, in Nuneaton, Morley, Newcastle -U-L, Dudley etc the trend is all blue. Guess where a general election is won and lost?
    Umm, LibDem/Con marginals?
    But how marginal are most of them now? Richmond Park, Cheadle, Devon N, Cheltenham, maybe St Albans, but where else are the LDs within 10% of the Con incumbent?

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/orderedseats.html
    In this era of minority governments and small majorities, even 5-6 seats lost to the LDs could be very significant.

Also, St Ives should be on your list.
    On present polls it will be Vince Cable who decides whether May or another Tory leader or Corbyn becomes PM after the next general election and that also would make soft Brexit likely with only a tear or two of full Brexit post transition from 2020 to 2022
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    edited May 2018
    GIN1138 said:

Turn her attention to the vote of confidence? There can’t be many more letters ending to go to Graham Brady and a resignation or two over the customs whatever would surely trigger the vote.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Meanwhile, in Nuneaton, Morley, Newcastle -U-L, Dudley etc the trend is all blue. Guess where a general election is won and lost?
    But how marginal are most of them now? Richmond Park, Cheadle, Devon N, Cheltenham, maybe St Albans, but where else are the LDs within 10% of the Con incumbent?

St Ives?
    I believe there are problems with the electoral register in St Ives. Apparently one canvasser encountered a man who claimed to have 7 wives...

(I've already got my coat)
    The old ones are the best...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I think it is absolutely clear that the UK economy has lost a considerable amount of momentum. The interest rate increase pencilled in for this month is surely off.

We are finally seeing the consequences of an extended period of falling real wages on demand. The M1 figures are a consequence of that. The important thing for the UK is get output back in line with supply. If we can increase exports to offset this fall in demand this will be good for UK plc in the medium term, even if it is unpleasant in the short term. Unfortunately, I do not think we will be the only country that suffers from this. Much of the EZ is showing less promise than it did in January.
    The "ra-ra-ra the pound is going up" cheering during the winter really was idiotic.

There's only two ways in which the UK can get growth:

1) Export led requiring low sterling and growth in other countries
    2) Borrow and spend ie stealing growth from the future
    What we really need is to improve our productivity markedly increasing competitiveness without depreciating the currency as the Germans have repeatedly done. But that is a much more complex, longer term solution.

What I am finding mildly irritating at the moment is people "finding" these long term, chronic problems in our economy and trying to claim that they have something to do with Brexit. The detail of these problems evolving whilst we were in the SM seems to completely pass them by.

They are much older than the Single Market. As discussed on here many times in the past, the UK's managerial class is shockingly lightweight. This country's overriding business philosophy is all about cutting to the bone instead of investing, getting by instead of planning, competing on price instead of on quality. What does that leave us with? Products that people do not want to buy produced by demoralised workforces with no incentive to do more than the bare minimum.

It's notable that in the service areas where we are top notch, people do tend to be paid well and businesses do invest and plan for the long term. There's a lesson there somewhere.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Rejoice??

• Options

DavidL said:

I think it is absolutely clear that the UK economy has lost a considerable amount of momentum. The interest rate increase pencilled in for this month is surely off.

We are finally seeing the consequences of an extended period of falling real wages on demand. The M1 figures are a consequence of that. The important thing for the UK is get output back in line with supply. If we can increase exports to offset this fall in demand this will be good for UK plc in the medium term, even if it is unpleasant in the short term. Unfortunately, I do not think we will be the only country that suffers from this. Much of the EZ is showing less promise than it did in January.
    The "ra-ra-ra the pound is going up" cheering during the winter really was idiotic.

3) reshoring and making stuff we used to make so we don't import it

start with HP sauce
    That's similar to the first point.

Though I'm sure company directors were able to give themselves a nice bonus when they offshored production.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:
    What absolute garbage. I have seen no increase whatsoever in the price of beer. I don't drink any of the mental stuff so perhaps that is why , but premium beers have not changed one bit.
    Malcolm the first stage is admitting you have a problem.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Scott_P said:

Ian Dunt - @IanDunt: You couldn't ask for a more perfect encapsulation of the pointlessness of Brexit than ham-faced cretin Gavin Williamson saying we should build our own Galileo system.

Ian Dunt - @IanDunt: He wants to spend countless millions replicating a project we are already invested in. He calls it... you guessed it... "rediscovering our bulldog spirit".

There's absolutely no reason we couldn't be part of Galileo other than an EU punishment mentality. They claim spurious security concerns in information sharing... while also wanting a separate agreement on sharing secret intelligence. This is a prize example of continuity Remainers backing Brussels over London regardless of the logic.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

Mr. P, why would MPs, excepting the censorious and far left, be in favour of state regulation of the press? I hope the amendment fails utterly.

Free speech is good. Presenting lies as if they were news is not good.
    Something pretty foul smelling about Tom Watson being behind this, who's office is funded by Mosely, seeking to force newspapers to sign up to the Mosely funded Impress. Impress cannot be sustainable without this move.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    This is certainly going to hurt the border towns, at least until England does something similar. You don't have to be a fan of Nicola to wonder if alcohol at less than 50p a unit is a good idea.
    David, surprised you are taken in by the hype. There has been little to no change , cheap muck at bottom may have gone up but any premium / quality beer / wine / spirits have not changed one iota. Unionist right wing cretinous bollox.
    There are significant differences in price on most vodkas, some blended whiskies, cheap wine (Tesco was previously selling bottles down to £4 or even less) and cheap ciders. Some of these have almost doubled in price, especially the vodkas. As I say I personally am persuaded that this is a good thing and that really cheap alcohol was a bad thing causing serious damage to those who take it as well as adverse social consequences. But then, like you, the minimum price has not really affected me.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/uk-most-frequent-drinkers-lawyers-doctors-city-professionals-alcohol-consumption-statistics-a8330741.html

Yes it is which makes me uncomfortable. But having seen 2 daughters through their teens in recent years loading up with "pre's" (I am not sure how to spell it to be honest) at friend's houses before they went out there is no question that there remains an issue amongst the young, even if an increasing number of them don't drink at all reducing their average.

We see the social consequences on our streets and in Scotland at least it is an issue. We drink significantly more than the English on average and it is one of the factors that reduces our life expectancies (its also a lot easier to do something about than the depressing weather and lack of sunlight for months on end). There are arguments both ways but on balance I came down in support of minimum pricing.

My daughter calls it Prinks. They get hammered at home and then hit the town. I am certain that younger folk drink a lot more of the hard stuff than my generation ever did. Shots did not exist when I was in my early 20s, I am sure. That said, there was a lot more drug taking back in the day.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

What we really need is to improve our productivity markedly increasing competitiveness without depreciating the currency as the Germans have repeatedly done. But that is a much more complex, longer term solution.

What I am finding mildly irritating at the moment is people "finding" these long term, chronic problems in our economy and trying to claim that they have something to do with Brexit. The detail of these problems evolving whilst we were in the SM seems to completely pass them by.

They are much older than the Single Market. As discussed on here many times in the past, the UK's managerial class is shockingly lightweight. This country's overriding business philosophy is all about cutting to the bone instead of investing, getting by instead of planning, competing on price instead of on quality. What does that leave us with? Products that people do not want to buy produced by demoralised workforces with no incentive to do more than the bare minimum.

It's notable that in the service areas where we are top notch, people do tend to be paid well and businesses do invest and plan for the long term. There's a lesson there somewhere.

UK top notch on services ?

that's some claim.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

By and large, manufacturing is also top-notch in the UK. 8% of the workforce produce 40% of exports. We just need more of it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Elliot said:

There's absolutely no reason we couldn't be part of Galileo

We voted to LEAVE

Get over it...
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Elliot said:

Scott_P said:

Ian Dunt - @IanDunt: You couldn't ask for a more perfect encapsulation of the pointlessness of Brexit than ham-faced cretin Gavin Williamson saying we should build our own Galileo system.

Ian Dunt - @IanDunt: He wants to spend countless millions replicating a project we are already invested in. He calls it... you guessed it... "rediscovering our bulldog spirit".

There's absolutely no reason we couldn't be part of Galileo other than an EU punishment mentality. They claim spurious security concerns in information sharing... while also wanting a separate agreement on sharing secret intelligence. This is a prize example of continuity Remainers backing Brussels over London regardless of the logic.
    The logic is, we chose to Leave, partly on the back of promises that the EU would grant us whatever we asked for as they would be desperate for a deal.

Don’t blame the EU or Remainers for the lies of the Leave campain unravelling.
  • Options
    O/T are there any betting markets on the Irish Abortion referendum? It's turning into a much tighter contest than it first appeared.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

St Ives?
    Yes, good spot.
    Maybe also Lewes (11.3%), Hazel Grove (11.3%) and St Albans (12.5%)

That's seven achievable on a 6% swing Con to LD.
    In Richmond locals there was a 14% swing Con to LD.

There's also Sheffield Hallam, NE Fife and Ceredigion making ten achievable gains - nearly doubling the LD seats to 22 where it could make a difference.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

that's some claim.

You didn't read what I wrote: "in the service areas where we are top notch"

• Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

By and large, manufacturing is also top-notch in the UK. 8% of the workforce produce 40% of exports. We just need more of it.

Yep - our foreign-owned auto sector is certainly highly competitive.

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yet productivity rose steadily for decades until falling into stagnation at some point and for various reasons after 2000.

I rather suspect that the rise in productivity was driven by only part of the economy and that has maxed out its productivity potential.

Whereas some other parts of the economy have lower productivity now than 15 years ago - agriculture and carwashing as examples.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    Sean_F said:

O/T are there any betting markets on the Irish Abortion referendum? It's turning into a much tighter contest than it first appeared.

Publicity shy Paddy Power are offering markets

https://www.paddypower.com/politics

As are Ladbrokes

https://m.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/#!event_details?id=226369767
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Scott_P said:

What bit of Leave do you not understand??

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sean_F said:

Paddy Power has some markets:

https://www.paddypower.com/politics
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

that's some claim.

I read it but interpreted it differently; but now that I see what you mean the same statement could be made of any sector.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,252
    GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.
    And it would not make a jot of difference. You cannot alter the basic law of mathematics. There are not the votes in the HOC or HOL to approve a hard Brexit
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Party like it’s like 1999 then beg supporters of Dave and George to back her in the VONC.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

St Ives?
    Yes, good spot.

There's also Sheffield Hallam, NE Fife and Ceredigion making ten achievable gains - nearly doubling the LD seats to 22 where it could make a difference.
    The Lib Dems had a huge lead in Twickenham, but only a 1% lead in Richmond Park, which suggests another tight contest.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Scott_P said:

The logic is, we chose to Leave, partly on the back of promises that the EU would grant us whatever we asked for as they would be desperate for a deal.

Don’t blame the EU or Remainers for the lies of the Leave campain unravelling.
    Yet any suggestion that we should not provide the EU with security intelligence free of charge is met with outrage from Remainers.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

Are you new here? The larger moiety of the content here is MC overlording. Start a discussion on Business Class air travel if you really want to see some self-regarding preening.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

St Ives?
    Yes, good spot.

If you can’t depose the incumbent in Sheffield Hallam I’d be very worried!

There’s an awful lot to happen between now and the next election, I think the LDs will do better if Brexit is no longer a live issue and if Corbyn has retired - he is keeping the two-party split very high as we saw last time out.
  • Options
    Boris seems to have a knack for failure. He needs to go back to journalism
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Are you new here? The larger moiety of the content here is MC overlording. Start a discussion on Business Class air travel if you really want to see some self-regarding preening.
    Ive already seen enough from the pineapple on pizza discussions
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163

GIN1138 said:

Party like it’s like 1999 then beg supporters of Dave and George to back her in the VONC.
    It is very unlikely that anyone will resign today imho.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

lol

nobody supports George any more, he's the day before yesterdays man
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.
    And it would not make a jot of difference. You cannot alter the basic law of mathematics. There are not the votes in the HOC or HOL to approve a hard Brexit
    So you get rid of Theresa May and then change the numbers by having another general election under a new Con leader.

It's not rocket science.

There's an assumption that whatever is thrown at Brexiteers and Brexit voters they just have suck it up. That assumption is false.

The local elections looked like the start of Brexit voters beginning to reassert their authority - Time for Brexiteers at Westminster to do the same.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

They are minimum.

that's some claim.

I read it but interpreted it differently; but now that I see what you mean the same statement could be made of any sector.

Of course. The problem is far too many UK businesses do not invest and plan for the long term - and it has been that way for decades. Our R&D spend, for example, is below the OECD and European average. That has consequences.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.
    So you get rid of Theresa May and then change the numbers by having another general election under a new Con leader.

It's not rocket science.

There's an assumption that whatever is thrown at Brexiteers and Brexit voters they just have suck it up. That assumption is false.

The local elections looked like the start of Brexit voters beginning to reassert their authority - Time for Brexiteers at Westminster to do the same.
    If an unnecessary election is called the conservatives will lose.

In a democracy you have to have the votes and it is only about 60 conservative mps who are ideologues out of 650 mps
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.
    But that’s not the way it will actually work in practice. The Executive will negotiate a deal with the EU and come to Parliament with the deal. Parliament then have to decide whether we leave the EU under the terms of the negotiated deal or leave the EU to WTO terms with no deal in place. Parliament cannot unilaterally insert themselves into the negotiation process with the EU, no matter how much they would like to be involved.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

Did you miss the 2017 general election ?

The one that was going to crush the saboteurs.
  • Options

Boris seems to have a knack for failure. He needs to go back to journalism
    Not fair on Boris to be honest. I doubt even the great Talleyrand could have persuaded Trump, when he's got Bolton beside him whispering in his ear.

I thought Boris was quite clever in using Fox as a way of communicating directly to Trump.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

They are minimum.

that's some claim.

Of course. The problem is far too many UK businesses do not invest and plan for the long term - and it has been that way for decades. Our R&D spend, for example, is below the OECD and European average. That has consequences.

of course it has,

but since we sell off our businesses and then watch the research and tax bases go off shore, this is hardly a surprise.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

lol

I'm sure there's a few doing their Hiroo Onoda impressions on the back benches
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

lol

We haven’t gone away you know.

The Provisional Wing of the Continuity Cameron Army is still active.
  • Options
    I humbly suggest that given we are pretty busy with Brexit, we sit out Trump's forthcoming war with Iran.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

It's hard to believe Con could run another election as appalling as 2017...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.
    But that’s not the way it will actually work in practice. The Executive will negotiate a deal with the EU and come to Parliament with the deal. Parliament then have to decide whether we leave the EU under the terms of the negotiated deal or leave the EU to WTO terms with no deal in place. Parliament cannot unilaterally insert themselves into the negotiation process with the EU, no matter how much they would like to be involved.
    So the executive can impose their deal on the HOC. With respect I do not see that happening without majority support
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

if only you had the common sense of Dave to say what has happened has happened and there's no point crying over spilt milk.

Get on with life as it is not how you thought it would be

• Options
    edited May 2018
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

It could just be worse as it would be a very divided party
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

lol

What are its aims ?

High housing prices, higher pensions and higher student debts ?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

In the local election, over 50% of voters gave their backing to parties that explicitly support a continued customs union with the EU.

It's hard to see who the Tories could choose to replace May who would break up the Labour voting coalition - which is what the Tories need in order to win a majority. Rees Mogg, Johnson, Gove and the like would cement it, as would Hunt - for different reasons. To go to the country early again and to fail to win outright again would kill off any serious Brexit for a very long time. You should be careful what you wish for.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

In the local election, over 50% of voters gave their backing to parties that explicitly support a continued customs union with the EU.

It's hard to see who the Tories could choose to replace May who would break up the Labour voting coalition - which is what the Tories need in order to win a majority. Rees Mogg, Johnson, Gove and the like would cement it, as would Hunt - for different reasons. To go to the country early again and to fail to win outright again would kill off any serious Brexit for a very long time. You should be careful what you wish for.

Nail on head - totally agree
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

any way 5 days of sunshine and no drought warning yet - what's up ? :-)
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    I’ve never really understood the point of Galileo, when we already have GPS. The US is fundamental to our security to a much greater extent than the EU, so why (contracts for Inmarsat aside) is public money being spent on a rival satellite system?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

if only you had the common sense of Dave to say what has happened has happened and there's no point crying over spilt milk.

I’ve moved on. My view has consistently the sooner we Leave the sooner we rejoin.

As my day job is 99% Brexit related I’m intrigued by it all.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

Then close your eyes and lie back and think of a general election campaign fronted by Boris or JRM.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

...which thanks to Brexit, we can no longer participate in
  • Options

. To go to the country early again and to fail to win outright again would kill off any serious Brexit for a very long time. You should be careful what you wish for.

Brexit is ALREADY dead in the water (in any meaningful sense) Theresa May and Westminster have strangled it at birth.

A new leader and a final general election is the only thing that can save it now.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

. To go to the country early again and to fail to win outright again would kill off any serious Brexit for a very long time. You should be careful what you wish for.

Brexit is ALREADY dead in the water (in any meaningful sense) Theresa May and Westminster have strangled it at birth.

A new leader and a final general election is the only thing that can save it now.
    Or kill it off for ever
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

Events since then have proven conclusively that Theresa May was not crying wolf.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

I’ve moved on. My view has consistently the sooner we Leave the sooner we rejoin.

I cant see us rejoining in the short-medium term, and any terms offered would be on the same terms as new entrants.

personally I think that will be hard to sell
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    'Boris has failed' - but not Merkel or Macron, who also tried (and actually met Trump, unlike Boris...)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

Then close your eyes and lie back and think of a general election campaign fronted by Boris or JRM.
    Boris won in London (twice) before contributing to LEAVE's victory (yes LEAVE did actually win the referendum... Not that you would believe it from Westminster's behaviour)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

In a democracy you have to have the votes and it is only about 60 conservative mps who are ideologues out of 650 mps
    It’s about a dozen Conservative ideologues, led by Anna Soubry, Nicky Morgan and Dominic Grieve.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    RoyalBlue said:

I’ve never really understood the point of Galileo, when we already have GPS. The US is fundamental to our security to a much greater extent than the EU, so why (contracts for Inmarsat aside) is public money being spent on a rival satellite system?

It is more accurate and it is not under the control of a foreign power - which, given Brexit may mean that the UK will need to replicate Galileo.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

lol

What are its aims ?

Ensuring a global free trade UK. That underpins our philosophy.

More trade equals more tax revenues, lower deficits and taxes.

Will help underpin a massive house building process.

Death to NIMBYism too.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

I humbly suggest that given we are pretty busy with Brexit, we sit out Trump's forthcoming war with Iran.

It will probably depend on how much older ordinance we have in the armouries. A good old war is a safe means of disposal.......

Besides, none of the current crop of politicians seems to show much sense and, no doubt, the "Someone must do something" crowd will egg the govt on with the usual outrage about how these dreadful, despicable, lying regimes must be stood up to for the good of democracy, humanity and civilisations yet to evolve.

Sorry - my cynicism glands seem to be in overload.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

Events since then have proven conclusively that Theresa May was not crying wolf.
    Yes, but she got the saboteurs wrong. The idioiy of Fox, Davis and Boris has caused far more damage to the Brexit cause than any Remainer.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

any way 5 days of sunshine and no drought warning yet - what's up ? :-)

Severn Trent reservoirs are at over 97% capacity currently (I check every week).

https://www.stwater.co.uk/about-us/reservoir-levels/

Even I am struggling to foresee a drought happening this summer. Next summer, though ...

• Options

GIN1138 said:

lol

What are its aims ?

Death to NIMBYism too.
    I think you haven't quite understood the direction of trade.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:
    What absolute garbage. I have seen no increase whatsoever in the price of beer. I don't drink any of the mental stuff so perhaps that is why , but premium beers have not changed one bit.
    Certainly based on the picture it is ludicrous. The guy is holding a 12 pack of corona extra. This would be equivalent to around 19 units of alcohol which under the new Scottish law would have a minimum pricing of around £9.50. The cheapest I have seen it is at least £10 a pack so there is no saving there at all. Same goes for the Stella the other bloke is holding. Indeed I wonder how much it has cost them in petrol.

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

It’s about a dozen Conservative ideologues, led by Anna Soubry, Nicky Morgan and Dominic Grieve.
    Very naughty, Mr Sandpit. You are not supposed to be emphasising the deep divisions in the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    An optimist writes:

With less than a year to go until the UK leaves the EU, the real divide is no longer between former Leavers and Remainers. Rather it is between those who, whichever way they voted, now take an optimistic view of Britain’s future and those who are entrenched in a negative outlook. While the pessimists are entitled to their view, the danger is that their continued disparagement of Britain’s prospects is itself a source of damage — reducing economic confidence and raising doubts for foreign investors. It is time we all embraced a realistic but positive stance on long-term opportunities.

https://www.ft.com/content/d55387d8-4d58-11e8-97e4-13afc22d86d4
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

I cant see us rejoining in the short-medium term, and any terms offered would be on the same terms as new entrants.

Depends on how we Leave.

If it is viagra hard Brexit with supermarkets running out of food, planes grounded et al then it’ll happen.

If it is the long goodbye with a decade long transition then rejoining it won’t happen in the medium term.
  • Options
    Boris's failure is not being able to see Trump for what he is: an American nativist whose agenda is almost entirely opposed to British interests. It's amazing what a bust of Winston Churchill and dazzling white skin can obscure.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

If it is viagra hard Brexit with supermarkets running out of food, planes grounded et al then it’ll happen.
    Who do you think will get the blame for that?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

Boris won in London (twice) before contributing to LEAVE's victory (yes LEAVE did actually win the referendum... Not that you would believe it from Westminster's behaviour)
    That was then this is now.

Boris is damaged goods. Thanks to Gove.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

An optimist writes:

With less than a year to go until the UK leaves the EU, the real divide is no longer between former Leavers and Remainers. Rather it is between those who, whichever way they voted, now take an optimistic view of Britain’s future and those who are entrenched in a negative outlook. While the pessimists are entitled to their view, the danger is that their continued disparagement of Britain’s prospects is itself a source of damage — reducing economic confidence and raising doubts for foreign investors. It is time we all embraced a realistic but positive stance on long-term opportunities.

Hammond would do well to take this advice.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

lol

What are its aims ?

Death to NIMBYism too.
    Remind us what the cumulative current account balance was for 2011 to 2016:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/hbop/pnbp

Your boys had six years in charge and the reality never matched the rhetoric in economics any more than it did for immigration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJRtDPOjQ7g
  • Options

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.
    So the executive can impose their deal on the HOC. With respect I do not see that happening without majority support
    If they don’t have a majority to agree the negotiated deal, then we leave without one. It’s that simple.

The important Brexit legislation was the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017, which empowered the Executive to trigger the A50 process. It passed unamended and with a vote 494-122 at third reading in the Commons.

The Commons will have a lot of other things that need to be passed in the future, such as legislation that deals with the powers we will repatriate from the EU, but the negotiation of the actual withdrawal treaty is for the Crown-in-Parliament rather than for Parliament itself.
  • Options
    The Mirror is not keen on the nonce-finder-general's plan:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/mps-prepare-vote-new-draconian-12497992
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

Depends on how we Leave.

If it is the long goodbye with a decade long transition then rejoining it won’t happen in the medium term.
    oh dear, youre just so addicted to Project Fear

which do you think will cost more jobs ?

Greg Clarks scaremongering about Brexit or Greg Clark refusing to stop Melrose asset stripping GKN and allowing an oligopoly in the supermarket sector ?
  • Options
    It's almost as if Boris Johnson is a completely unprincipled opportunist guided solely by self-interest ...
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/993752184146755584
  • Options
    edited May 2018

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

It started in Bruxelles will be as effective as the great financial crisis started in America meme by Gordon Brown.

People like David Davis who thought Brexit would be as easy as the Anglo-Zanzibar War will get the blame.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

It's almost as if Boris Johnson is a completely unprincipled opportunist guided solely by self-interest ...
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/993752184146755584

Or is it that RTE and indeed Boris do not understand collective responsibility?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Couldn't the Scottish government have increased alcohol duty across the board rather than aimed this tax rise at the low paid ?
    They haven't increased the duty. They have simply said that alcohol cannot be sold at less than 50p per unit. The extra money goes to the retailer.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

Depends on how we Leave.

Greg Clarks scaremongering about Brexit or Greg Clark refusing to stop Melrose asset stripping GKN and allowing an oligopoly in the supermarket sector ?
    Within a few months Project Fear could be Project Reality.

I did warn you at the time.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

It started in Bruxelles will be as effective as the great financial crisis started in America.
    But the polls already show voters thinking the EU are not playing fair.....there'll be plenty of blame to go round - and the EU will get its share of it....fair or otherwise......'Lets re-join the club that grounded our planes' will be a tough sell.....
  • Options

An optimist writes:

Which is completely right. Those who see Brexit as an excercise in damage mitigation are likely to see that result. Those who see it as a global opportunity for growth are more likely to see that result. Which do we want?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Completely agree. I was not intending to suggest that the SM was the cause of our woes. It has simply done nothing to address them. As usual Brexit is not really the issue.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

St Ives?
    Yes, good spot.

The Lib Dems had a huge lead in Twickenham, but only a 1% lead in Richmond Park, which suggests another tight contest.
    Yes that's true. But there was a 14% swing CON to LD in both the Twickenham and Richmond Park parts of the borough. Kingston was similar.

There are nineteen Con/LD marginals that would fall to the LDs on a 14% swing. That's probably the upper limit!
  • Options
    edited May 2018

But the polls already show voters thinking the EU are not playing fair.....there'll be plenty of blame to go round - and the EU will get its share of it....fair or otherwise......'Lets re-join the club that grounded our planes' will be a tough sell.....

When the UK finds itself in a pickle we’re prepared to do bold things. Heck in the past we came close to merging the UK with France.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed.

It's not rocket science.

Depends on how we Leave.

Within a few months Project Fear could be Project Reality.

I did warn you at the time.
    Yep. You were wrong then and you are wrong now.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

St Ives?
    Yes, good spot.

Yes that's true. But there was a 14% swing CON to LD in both the Twickenham and Richmond Park parts of the borough. Kingston was similar.

There are nineteen Con/LD marginals that would fall to the LDs on a 14% swing. That's probably the upper limit!
    Plus some seats the LDs lost to Labour in 2015 if Corbyn's Brexit position refuses to budge
This discussion has been closed.