Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Heidi Allen: Could she be the LAB mayoral nominee in 2020 so S

124»

Comments

• Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

surby said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:
    Except EEA means no Customs Union and allegedly Ireland needs a Customs Union?

Are you saying that the claims that Ireland needs a Customs Union were self-serving bulls##t all along?
    There is no reason why Customs Union cannot be accommodated. It could even be May's ambitious bespoke arrangement.

Remember, EEA is part of EFTA. Switzerland is in EFTA but not in EEA. The other three countries in EFTA constitutes the EEA.

So we could have an EEA arrangement but not quite by including Customs Union [ Switzerland ]. In the EU, almost, but not quite!

So you get both a FTA [ proxy for being in the SM ] and "a Customs Union" [ proxy for Customs Union. T May can call it Customs arrangement or whatever she likes.

But we will still be outside the EU. So in compliance with the result of the referendum.

Everyone is happy ! We will need a people's vote to ratify this arrangement.
    Nope because unlike the SM, the Customs Union is an integral part of EU membership, not EEA membership. You cannot be in the Customs Union and not an EU member (unless you are so small and insignificant like San Marino or Andorra that it makes no difference).

Being in a separate Customs Union like Turkey means any country with an FTA with the EU can import into your country tariff free but you do not get the reciprocal rights.
    No one is saying that we have to be in "the" customs union, just "a" customs union which looks surprisingly similar.
    Looking online, the following crown dependencies appear to belong to The CU although they've always been outside the EU:

Bailiwick of Guernsey
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Isle of Man.

So will they stay in The CU while we get given only A CU?
    No.

As the UK withdrawals from the EU, the current Customs arrangements will cease.

https://www.gov.gg/Brexit
    What a ridiculous proposal this is. Disrupting systems just for the sake of it.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Good news on interest rates.

Keep them low.

Go lower.

Go lower again.

• Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    rkrkrk said:

Norway isn't in the Customs Union
    Switzerland isn't in the Customs Union

There's no need to be in one.

Why has this issue paralysed the govt then?
    Why are businesses banging on and on about it?
    The government is paralysed because of the Irish border question.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Pulpstar said:

The compensation for this poor man should be straight out of Blair's pocket.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44070304

Absolubtely shameful.

Not that you would ever know from the BBC reporting that Mrs. May was apologising for the actions of the last Labour Govt. who undertook that rendition.....
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    edited May 2018

Can someone please explain to me what will happen to the Irish border issue should there be no deal with the EU on the day of the UK leaving

Invasion!

We will quickly reincorporate the Republic into the UK, by amphibious assaults against Dublin Bay, Cork and Rosslare, and a two-pronged land-based strike from South Armagh and County Fermanagh!

EDIT: oops, wrong forum :)
    That is not even remotely funny.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Anazina said:

Keep them low.

Go lower.

Go lower again.

Why? It’s a horror show. It’s distorted lots of things. It’s one of the prime drivers of house price growth, it’s made pensions hugely expensive and created a very large part of all those deficits.

It’s an emergency policy (they’ve never been as low as this since the BoE was founded in 1694 to give some perspective of how crazy it all is) that’s gone on for a decade. It’s methadone.

It’s got to stop. Higher, as fast as reasonably possibly should be the mantra
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    Anazina said:

Keep them low.

Go lower.

Go lower again.

I take it you don't believe in Saving?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Anazina said:

surby said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:

Are you saying that the claims that Ireland needs a Customs Union were self-serving bulls##t all along?
    There is no reason why Customs Union cannot be accommodated. It could even be May's ambitious bespoke arrangement.

Remember, EEA is part of EFTA. Switzerland is in EFTA but not in EEA. The other three countries in EFTA constitutes the EEA.

So we could have an EEA arrangement but not quite by including Customs Union [ Switzerland ]. In the EU, almost, but not quite!

So you get both a FTA [ proxy for being in the SM ] and "a Customs Union" [ proxy for Customs Union. T May can call it Customs arrangement or whatever she likes.

But we will still be outside the EU. So in compliance with the result of the referendum.

Nope because unlike the SM, the Customs Union is an integral part of EU membership, not EEA membership. You cannot be in the Customs Union and not an EU member (unless you are so small and insignificant like San Marino or Andorra that it makes no difference).

Being in a separate Customs Union like Turkey means any country with an FTA with the EU can import into your country tariff free but you do not get the reciprocal rights.
    No one is saying that we have to be in "the" customs union, just "a" customs union which looks surprisingly similar.
    Looking online, the following crown dependencies appear to belong to The CU although they've always been outside the EU:

Bailiwick of Guernsey
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Isle of Man.

No.

The sake is called democracy and you might appreciate it should there ever be a system in place you don't like.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ministry of Magic to be based in Reading...

https://twitter.com/GregHands/status/994495086024122368

Another shithole.

Reading exists to make Slough look good.
    That skyline is testament to endemic failure of ambition by council leaders and planners in this country.

Reading is wealthy. Why does it need to look so awful?
    Reading is wealthy plenty of private sector employment . So why miss an opportunity to bring jobs to a town/city that really needs them?

"Reading is a net inward destination for commuters. During the morning peak period, there are some 30,000 inward arrivals in the town, compared to 24,000 departures." This surprised me.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Anazina said:

Keep them low.

Go lower.

Go lower again.

Negative interest rates like Japan?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    AndyJS said:

Anazina said:

Keep them low.

Go lower.

Go lower again.

We are utterly up sh** creek when the next recession hits. Which is soon.

The BoE will have nothing left, leaving fiscal to do all the heavy lifting.

Combined with Brexit...
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Scott_P said:

Another shithole.

That skyline is testament to endemic failure of ambition by council leaders and planners in this country.

Reading is wealthy. Why does it need to look so awful?
    Reading is wealthy plenty of private sector employment . So why miss an opportunity to bring jobs to a town/city that really needs them?

"Reading is a net inward destination for commuters. During the morning peak period, there are some 30,000 inward arrivals in the town, compared to 24,000 departures." This surprised me.
    Crossrail due to open within the next 6 months or so!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

AndyJS said:

Anazina said:

Keep them low.

Go lower.

Go lower again.

Combined with Brexit...

We have our own currency.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Can someone please explain to me what will happen to the Irish border issue should there be no deal with the EU on the day of the UK leaving

Invasion!

We will quickly reincorporate the Republic into the UK, by amphibious assaults against Dublin Bay, Cork and Rosslare, and a two-pronged land-based strike from South Armagh and County Fermanagh!

I don't know, Sunil is just playing on the fact that Leavers are sometimes caricatured as being obsessed with empire.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Another shithole.

I thought that was Luton's job.
    nah Luton exists to make Slough look good, Milton Keynes exist to make Reading look good.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937

The Irish will be forced to close it on behalf of the EU.
    Border checks aren't closed borders.

This is the EU's border with a nation it is in a customs union with:

This is the EU's border with a nation it has no customs union with:

I imagine that the Irish would prefer the second to the first so this whole customs farago is nonsense.
    I agree. I was being facetious.
  • Options

I was thinking that too.

I reckon Sadiq Khan as leader might just appeal to all Labour supporters.

Even the UKIP ones that went back to Labour. I think a few of them will have reservations.
  • Options

Invasion!

You don't even remotely have a sense of humour, do you? :lol:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Anazina said:

Keep them low.

Go lower.

Go lower again.

I think he believes in paying the mortgage off :)
  • Options

The Irish will be forced to close it on behalf of the EU.
    Border checks aren't closed borders.

This is the EU's border with a nation it is in a customs union with:

This is the EU's border with a nation it has no customs union with:

I imagine that the Irish would prefer the second to the first so this whole customs farago is nonsense.
    I agree. I was being facetious.
    My apologies I thought you were serious.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Keep them low.

Go lower.

Go lower again.

Yes, OK, and after that? :lol:
  • Options
    nunuone said:

I was thinking that too.

I reckon Sadiq Khan as leader might just appeal to all Labour supporters.

Even the UKIP ones that went back to Labour. I think a few of them will have reservations.
    I doubt it. They'd view Sadiq as "one of us" not "one of them".
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Anazina said:

Keep them low.

Go lower.

Go lower again.

Yes, OK, and after that? :lol:
    All sorts of asset classes to invest in 8)
  • Options
    Possible Labour candidates:

Phyll Opoku-Gyimah
    Sakina Sheikh
    Brenda Dacres
    Nadine Houghton
    Claudia Webbe
    Joe Dromey
    Kevin Bonavia
    Katy Clark

https://labourlist.org/2018/05/lewisham-east-runners-and-riders/
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Pulpstar said:

Absolubtely shameful.

Not that you would ever know from the BBC reporting that Mrs. May was apologising for the actions of the last Labour Govt. who undertook that rendition.....
    I heard a bit of jack Straw's statement on TWAO.. He seems be suffering lack of recall.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

May seems far more popular with the British public right now than she does on this website.

It is quite difficult to understand why May is extending her poll lead when her government appears to be on the point of collapse...

Maybe it's sympathy?
    Maybe it's because midterm polls are pointless garbage.

In fact that is exactly what it is.

Why anyone affords them even the slightest bit of credence given recent experiences is beyond me.
    We look forward to your silence if they move the other way. Actually we just look forward to your silence .
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Anazina said:

surby said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:

Bailiwick of Guernsey
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Isle of Man.

No.

Everyone's clutching at straws. A LSE blog suggested the 'Jersey option' to mimimise disruption to cross-border trade. In the past I'd have thought the 'Jersey option' was about hiding one's ££ offshore; now it's about how to extricate the UK from Brex-shit.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    AndyJS said:

Phyll Opoku-Gyimah
    Sakina Sheikh
    Brenda Dacres
    Nadine Houghton
    Claudia Webbe
    Joe Dromey
    Kevin Bonavia
    Katy Clark

I am presuming Joe Dromey is Harriet and Jack's son.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973

AndyJS said:

Phyll Opoku-Gyimah
    Sakina Sheikh
    Brenda Dacres
    Nadine Houghton
    Claudia Webbe
    Joe Dromey
    Kevin Bonavia
    Katy Clark

Looks like it, and currently a councillor in Lewisham.

Labour: the party of aspiration (for the few) ...
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    The more educated people are, the more divisive their politics become, according to this NYT article:

"More Education Means More Polarization

A study has found that the more educated people are, the more regard they have for other people who share their political leanings. The more fervent their liberal or conservative beliefs, the more pronounced their respect for similar people (and disrespect for dissimilar people) as education levels increase."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/10/opinion/democrats-partisanship-identity-politics.html
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

AndyJS said:

Phyll Opoku-Gyimah
    Sakina Sheikh
    Brenda Dacres
    Nadine Houghton
    Claudia Webbe
    Joe Dromey
    Kevin Bonavia
    Katy Clark

Has an MP ever served in the House at the same time as *both* his or her parents before? I know there are several examples of parent/child, and husband/wife, but I don't think there are any of both?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

AndyJS said:

Phyll Opoku-Gyimah
    Sakina Sheikh
    Brenda Dacres
    Nadine Houghton
    Claudia Webbe
    Joe Dromey
    Kevin Bonavia
    Katy Clark

With genes like that, he'll have every chance if they go for an all-woman shortlist.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,320

If this does happen Brexit will rapidly prove to be popular.

If this does happen people will have no appetite for economic disruption around the time the transition will be due to end.
    You truly are a fanatic.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Phyll Opoku-Gyimah
    Sakina Sheikh
    Brenda Dacres
    Nadine Houghton
    Claudia Webbe
    Joe Dromey
    Kevin Bonavia
    Katy Clark

Socialism is a bit like Monarchism. Consider:

1) A belief in jobs for life!
    2) Hereditary principle - consider the Kennedys in the US, the Nehru-Gandhis in India and the Kims in North Korea!
    3) Pomp and circumstance - North Korean parades and Trooping the Colour!
  • Options

Anazina said:

surby said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:

Bailiwick of Guernsey
    Bailiwick of Jersey
    Isle of Man.

No.

Everyone's clutching at straws. A LSE blog suggested the 'Jersey option' to mimimise disruption to cross-border trade. In the past I'd have thought the 'Jersey option' was about hiding one's ££ offshore; now it's about how to extricate the UK from Brex-shit.
    Evacuating the anus that is the EU?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Phyll Opoku-Gyimah
    Sakina Sheikh
    Brenda Dacres
    Nadine Houghton
    Claudia Webbe
    Joe Dromey
    Kevin Bonavia
    Katy Clark

Has an MP ever served in the House at the same time as *both* his or her parents before? I know there are several examples of parent/child, and husband/wife, but I don't think there are any of both?
    I don't think so. The closest would be Bob, Ann and John Cryer, but there was a 3 year gap between 1994 and 1997 when none of them were in the Commons.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    The 11-year-old Joe Dromey was also at the centre of political attention in 1996 when his parents sent him to my school, a selective grammar.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    surby said:

Nigelb said:

Cohen is not a registered lobbyist, so what on earth were these companies paying him for ?

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/is-essential-consultants-a-slush-fund-for-donald-trump

The companies have offered varying explanations for their payments, none of them persuasive. A.T. & T. said that it wanted “insights” into the Trump Administration; that is not something you pay the President’s personal attorney to give you, under any circumstances. (Did the company expect the lowdown on Trump’s next moves? That would possibly be a violation of attorney-client privilege.) It is particularly not something you pay for when, as was the case with A.T. & T., you are trying to get Cohen’s client’s other subordinates to approve a merger. That might be topped by Korea Aerospace’s statement saying that it had turned to Essential Consultants for advice on meeting “accounting standards on production costs.” Korea Aerospace, alongside Lockheed Martin, is currently competing for a defense contract. Columbus Nova, acknowledging to the Times that it had paid Essential Consultants a “consulting fee,” concentrated on denying that the payment had anything to do with Vekselberg. Novartis said that it was looking for advice on medical matters—from Cohen, whose experience in this field, as Rolling Stone recently reported, has involved doing legal work for clinics that were, essentially, insurance-fraud mills….

Bribery ? Not that anyone is saying that!
    Influence peddling not bribery. Slightly different but still illegal
  • Options

The 11-year-old Joe Dromey was also at the centre of political attention in 1996 when his parents sent him to my school, a selective grammar.

He works for one of those think tank thingies. I always wonder who pays the bills for those to exist.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

AndyJS said:

Anazina said:

Keep them low.

Go lower.

Go lower again.

Combined with Brexit...
    We will be able to cut taxes including business taxes and VAT.

There will be a lot more tools available for the CoTE out of the protectionist cartel.

Whether the CoTE is skilled enough to use them is the key issue.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Keep them low.

Go lower.

Go lower again.

There’s an inverse relationship between interest rates and house prices.

Low interest rates are not a sign of economic well-being
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

AndyJS said:

Phyll Opoku-Gyimah
    Sakina Sheikh
    Brenda Dacres
    Nadine Houghton
    Claudia Webbe
    Joe Dromey
    Kevin Bonavia
    Katy Clark

Socialism is a bit like Monarchism. Consider:

1) A belief in jobs for life!
    2) Hereditary principle - consider the Kennedys in the US, the Nehru-Gandhis in India and the Kims in North Korea!
    3) Pomp and circumstance - North Korean parades and Trooping the Colour!
    Today is the 10th of May -- the anniversary of the day Winston Churchill became Prime Minister. His father had been Chancellor of the Exchequer. Churchill was succeeded as Prime Minister by Anthony Eden, who just happened to be married to Churchill's niece.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Phyll Opoku-Gyimah
    Sakina Sheikh
    Brenda Dacres
    Nadine Houghton
    Claudia Webbe
    Joe Dromey
    Kevin Bonavia
    Katy Clark

I think Douglas Hogg was in the Commons while his father and his wife were both in the Lords (not quite what you asked!). His father-in was there as well for 1 year before he died.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Anazina said:

Keep them low.

Go lower.

Go lower again.

There’s an inverse relationship between interest rates and house prices.

Low interest rates are not a sign of economic well-being
    I examined this in my blog:

http://ponyonthetories.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/housing.html

Some conclusions:

Right now the deposit required for a property is historically unaffordable, but if ALL the capital could be borrowed then the mortgage repayments are historically somewhere near the global minimum due to the extremely low interest rate currently at the Bank of England.

A program that encourages housebuilding either directly or indirectly, and a (very) slow rising of interest rates would seem the best way out of this to me so as not to cripple the market but also return long term affordability.
  • Options
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    The problem with a customs partnership is that, while it allows us to reduce tariffs when we sign FTAs (albeit via a complex payback method) it means we can't reduce non-tariff barriers. So, for example, we couldn't let through customs parma ham made outside of Parma. That's a small example, but there are thousands of these restrictions on agricultural products.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    This film doesn't end the way Hannan scripted it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/29/daniel-hannan-the-man-who-brought-you-brexit

Hannan’s signature case against EU membership is an upbeat argument of direct democracy and free-market capitalism. He sidesteps questions about the inevitable trade-offs of leaving by insisting there will be none. Elliott was an intern when he first heard Hannan speak in Westminster almost 20 years ago. Douglas Carswell, the Ukip MP, was convinced by Hannan that Britain should pull out, in the autumn of 1993. “When I heard Boris Johnson and all those others making those brilliant points they made,” Carswell told me recently, “I thought, ‘Compare it to making a film: these guys on the silver screen are brilliant. But the script is written by Hannan, and this is largely a Hannan production.’” Theresa Villiers, the former Northern Ireland secretary, who helped persuade David Cameron to allow his cabinet to campaign freely during the vote, was “radicalised”, in her phrase, by Hannan during her time as an MEP. “On the morning of 24 June, I texted Dan congratulating him on changing the course of European history.”
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    I remember the good old days when PB Leavers used to say this was all David Cameron's fault for not making any plans for Brexit.

I pointed out then Dave's view was that Vote Leave's proposals were a fantasy and undeliverable so the Civil Service couldn't wargame them properly.

Two years on and guess that Dave was right on that front.
  • Options
    “Our battles are directed?!”
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Charles said:

AndyJS said:

Phyll Opoku-Gyimah
    Sakina Sheikh
    Brenda Dacres
    Nadine Houghton
    Claudia Webbe
    Joe Dromey
    Kevin Bonavia
    Katy Clark

I think Douglas Hogg was in the Commons while his father and his wife were both in the Lords (not quite what you asked!). His father-in was there as well for 1 year before he died.
    How about the Kinnocks. Both Glenys and Neil in the lords whilst Steven in the commons.
  • Options

I remember the good old days when PB Leavers used to say this was all David Cameron's fault for not making any plans for Brexit.

I pointed out then Dave's view was that Vote Leave's proposals were a fantasy and undeliverable so the Civil Service couldn't wargame them properly.

His opinion. The civil service would have been far more prepared if it wasn’t for that decision. I rate Cameron quite highly, but that has to be one of his biggest blunders.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. D, he made the same idiotic decision regarding the Scottish independence referendum. If he'd been less complacent, he would've won both of them.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    RobD said:

His opinion. The civil service would have been far more prepared if it wasn’t for that decision. I rate Cameron quite highly, but that has to be one of his biggest blunders.
    +1

I'm very impressed with how he has conducted himself since, too.
  • Options

Why? Because we have a Poundshop Gordon Brown in Number 10 not actually wanting to implement Vote Leave's proposals?

Maybe if we had a Vote Leave leader in Number 10 directing the Civil Service to implement the proposals and leading negotiations on that basis things could be very different.
  • Options

I raised the same questions about the civil service not being able to plan for Scottish independence. Just because the referendum went to remain as part of the UK didn't make that decision the correct one, it was reckless and the same error came home to roost after the EU ref.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Maybe if we had a Vote Leave leader in Number 10 directing the Civil Service to implement the proposals and leading negotiations on that basis things could be very different.

Yup, the unicorns would be herded much faster if we had a true believer in charge...
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Why? Because we have a Poundshop Gordon Brown in Number 10 not actually wanting to implement Vote Leave's proposals?

'Vote Leave's proposals'

lol, what were they? The Brexit campaign assumed the EU would just roll over and given them everything they wanted. German car manufacturers and prosecco growers would make it so as I remember.

That Leavers can't agree amongst themselves as to what form Brexit should take is why it would have been impossible for the civil service to have planned in advance what would happen.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    RobD said:

They did prepare for the decision their initial plans were that the objectives of Vote Leave were undeliverable, that Vote Leave would have to compromise but that was going to be for the Leavers to decide.

You wanted all the benefits of the single market without any of the costs, it was pointed at the time it wasn't going to happen.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/04/19/vote-leave-sets-out-its-objective-tse-gives-his-robust-interpretation/
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Scott_P said:

Yup, the unicorns would be herded much faster if we had a true believer in charge...
    The emerging dividing lines among Leavers seem to be between (1) those Leavers who believe Brexit is failing because of the treachery of Remainers in not getting behind it and making it work (2) those Leavers who believe Brexit is failing because of the treachery of Remainers in getting behind it and trying to make it work and (3) those Leavers who believe that Brexit is failing because Remainers were not rounded up and kept under armed guard on Hebridean islands, leaving the pure air of England only to be inhaled in Leave lungs..
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Pulpstar said:

Absolubtely shameful.

Perhaps the time has come for the UK to sever its ties with the USA. If we think it's a good idea do it with the generally fragrant EU surely we should do it with the altogether more whiffy USA?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

This film doesn't end the way Hannan scripted it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/29/daniel-hannan-the-man-who-brought-you-brexit

Hannan’s signature case against EU membership is an upbeat argument of direct democracy and free-market capitalism. He sidesteps questions about the inevitable trade-offs of leaving by insisting there will be none. Elliott was an intern when he first heard Hannan speak in Westminster almost 20 years ago. Douglas Carswell, the Ukip MP, was convinced by Hannan that Britain should pull out, in the autumn of 1993. “When I heard Boris Johnson and all those others making those brilliant points they made,” Carswell told me recently, “I thought, ‘Compare it to making a film: these guys on the silver screen are brilliant. But the script is written by Hannan, and this is largely a Hannan production.’” Theresa Villiers, the former Northern Ireland secretary, who helped persuade David Cameron to allow his cabinet to campaign freely during the vote, was “radicalised”, in her phrase, by Hannan during her time as an MEP. “On the morning of 24 June, I texted Dan congratulating him on changing the course of European history.”
    You have no idea how it will end. Odds on it will be closer to Hannan's vision than to yours.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

BoE vote was 2-7 in favour of maintain.

I'm still very bearish on any change to interest rates this year.

3 of those 7 need to change their minds amidst a relatively sluggish economy which has been growing for almost 9 years...

More than 80k+ mortgages already >2.5% arrears at this low rate: https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/mortgage-arrears-and-possesions-update-february-2018/
    Our father who art in threadneedle Street
    Carney by thine name
    Thy mortgage come
    Rates will be low
    In London as it is in Britain
    Give us this day our FTSE boost
    For thine is the cheap mortgage
    The exporter's and homeowner's friend
    At least until you get the sack
    Amen.
    I don't actually have a mortgage, but I am an exporter that doesn't often buy items from outside the UK, so am currently very pleased to see Cable having taken a bit of a knock.
    That's a bit harsh, he gained two councils in SW London and plenty more seats beside. :p
    :)
This discussion has been closed.