Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The pollster that got GE2017 most right now has CON in the lea

2»

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Labour could do a lot worse than Tom Willetts for Lewisham East. He’s local, a dedicated activist and his twitter feed is extraordinarily wholesome.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    Scott_P said:
    Considering Black Wednesday was the direct result of the Eurofanatics trying to tie us closer to the EU it is ironic to see one of he current crop of Tory Eurofanatics (who probably loved the ERM) referencing that event.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

prime minister and the first non-white PM as well.
    Some on this site seem obsessed with this topic, it’s odd. Especially since Conservatives state that they dislike identity politics.
    Ha! Indeed. Other weird PB Tory obsessions I have noted with dismay include:

1. Writing “it’s a view” when they mean “I disagree” - deeply overused and unfunny
    2. Invoking the five stages of grief (usually at Remainers) - deeply overused and unfunny
    3. Telling us, over and again, how they didn’t like the Tube scene in His Darkest Hour
    LOL at that last one. ‘Unspoofable’ is another favourite of PB Tories as well
    Again, I am baffled that you think that - I find it highly improbable that only Tories have ever said 'unspooofable', therefore while it may be a meme, the idea it is a 'PB Tory' meme strikes me as very unlikely.

You might as well say talking about pineapples on Pizza is a PB Tory obsession. It's true, but are they the only ones doing it?
    I don't know how to search PB for examples. But I do remember that on the two or three occasions it has been used against a comment of mine, it has been by a PB Tory.

It is an irritating comment. It actually means can't be spoofed i.e. can't be fooled but it is just used as an insult.
    Apart from that not being the meaning, of course you will in your anecdotes have Tories use the word against you, you're left wing. You're hardly likely to get lefties saying it now. If and when other lefties (like the Guardian link) use the meme it is going to be aimed at Tories and other right wingers and not from them.
    I take your point. Let's both watch out for examples to see if there is a pattern.

Spoof means deceive as in the pub game or in computing. Unspoofable therefore means can't be deceived or fooled. I note it has a secondary meaning of "gently satirize" which I assume is the sense used on PB. Anyway it is a lazy insult.
    Disagree. I think “a spoof” is a deception while “to spoof” is to create a deception, not “to deceive”

Hence “unspoofable” means “impossible to create a deception” not “can’t be deceived”
    But surely "to be spoofed" is to be deceived, thus unspoofable can also mean unable to be deceived?

(Although I also agree that it's usually used to mean "beyond parody".)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Labour could do a lot worse than Tom Willetts for Lewisham East. He’s local, a dedicated activist and his twitter feed is extraordinarily wholesome.

Wrong gender
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Scott_P said:

Wrong gender
    He could always self-identify as a woman to overcome that.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    How many people have put their names forward for Lewisham East?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Barnesian said:

I take your point. Let's both watch out for examples to see if there is a pattern.

Spoof means deceive as in the pub game or in computing. Unspoofable therefore means can't be deceived or fooled. I note it has a secondary meaning of "gently satirize" which I assume is the sense used on PB. Anyway it is a lazy insult.

I promise you it doesn't mean that. It means "beyond parody".
    Agreed. But it is lazy.
    Come to think of it, it was the war-cry of Mick Pork, second only to tim as the scourge of PB tories.
    I’d forgotten that. Whatever happened to him?
    He was banned.

I think pound for pound we Gnats have had more bans than any other party, unless you consider the Holocaust deniers as such.
    I am sure it is a badge of pride Divvie.

It’s not my site but I regret the loss of the posters I disagree with more than the others. The site needs diversity of views.
    I'd imagine if the posters in question abased themselves before Yahweh Smithson, they might be able to creep back.

Hardly likely in the cases of the guys I'm thinking about though.
    Don't banned posters just come back reincarated as someone else?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613

Scott_P said:

Wrong gender
    I fear he'll need to self-identify as a total loon to get through this selection process.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,298
    Broken sleazy LibDems on the slide :)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,772

Not that I want to give succour to Remainers but what has Dan Hannan actually done about it?

I used to be a big fan of Dan’s and, particularly since he’s been the leading advocate of it for so long, I expected him to take some ownership, responsibility and bloody well get stuck in - just like Gove has. And so has Davis, to be fair. And as I offered to do for DexEU.

Instead he’s been academically pontificating on the sidelines. Not impressed.

He's...naïve. Perhaps childlike is a better way of putting it. He quotes from science-fiction novels ("...that hideous strength..."), holds childlike views ("wouldn't you prefer to trade with your friends"), has a simple, innocent faith in his view of the world and believes that those who disagree are bad and anything that goes wrong is due to bad people. Such simple faith is admirable but perhaps not best suited to positions of responsibility.

Parenthetically, you could describe quite a few modern pols as man-children: Corbyn, Rees-Mogg, and of course Boris. May, for all her problems (list available upon request) is at least a grown-up.
  • Options

Other playground equipment is also available...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Not that I want to give succour to Remainers but what has Dan Hannan actually done about it?

I used to be a big fan of Dan’s and, particularly since he’s been the leading advocate of it for so long, I expected him to take some ownership, responsibility and bloody well get stuck in - just like Gove has. And so has Davis, to be fair. And as I offered to do for DexEU.

He's...naïve. Perhaps childlike is a better way of putting it. He quotes from science-fiction novels ("...that hideous strength..."), holds childlike views ("wouldn't you prefer to trade with your friends"), has a simple, innocent faith in his view of the world and believes that those who disagree are bad and anything that goes wrong is due to bad people. Such simple faith is admirable but perhaps not best suited to positions of responsibility.

Parenthetically, you could describe quite a few modern pols as man-children: Corbyn, Rees-Mogg, and of course Boris. May, for all her problems (list available upon request) is at least a grown-up.
    You missed Trump from your list.
  • Options
    "Britain's policies on austerity, immigration and terrorism are racist, says UN inspector"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/05/11/uk-policies-austerity-immigration-fighting-terrorism-racist/
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Wrong gender
    The prefix "self-" in the term "self-identify" is redundant.

(apols, but I have this pedant gene ... :) )
  • Options

You calculated the Swing?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Rogueywon said:

I doubt Lewisham East will be interesting at all. I lived there for 7 years and it will vote overwhelmingly for Labour whoever the candidate and whatever the campaign. I doubt the national effects of the antisemitism row will be mirrored in Lewisham - it's telling that two of the front-runners for the candidacy have already been identified as having made troubling social media posts.

There are a few corners of the constituency around Blackheath and Grove Park which are a bit bluer, but they're very much in the minority. The LDs were a distant third in GE2017 and while the bookies are getting excited about their chances in 2018, I just don't see the constituency having the right demographics for them to make a credible challenge to Labour.

I can't see any sense in betting on anything other than a very strong Labour hold. Turnout levels may be more interesting and telling than the actual vote share.

I cannot see the LD doing very well, they only got 2,000 votes in 2017 and that is 30,000 votes behind Labour. This will be an overwhelming Labour hold unfortunately and will strengthen Corbyn's grip on the PLP. Some of the ramping about LD prospects are laughable.
    I agree. The Lib Dems have proven effective in some middle-class Tory Remain areas of pre-existing strength. Lewisham does not fit that description, by some distance.

Against Labour, the Lib Dems have had some good local by-election results but a parliamentary by-election is a different kettle of fish and the fact that the postal votes will go out in about 3 weeks gives them next to no time to organise.

If Labour pick some anti-EU Marxist then yes, the LDs might stand a Haringey-style chance, particularly if that leads to open internal warfare within Labour. But as long as they remain sellably mainstream, theycan canter in.
  • Options

You calculated the Swing?
    In a roundabout way.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

And now there’s Daniel Hannan, who popped up this week to agree the bed was being shat – I paraphrase slightly – and to concede that those suggesting Brexit is not working out quite how he thought it would “have got a point”. As Hannan put it: “I had assumed that, by now, we’d have reached a broad national consensus around a moderate form of withdrawal that recognised the narrowness of the result.” Had you? “Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups” – and if you weren’t a plastic populist, you’d have picked that up from Under Siege 2: Dark Territory.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/11/brexit-boris-johnson-jacob-rees-mogg-house-of-lords

Hyde displays her profound ignorance there. Hannan is anything but a populist as anyone who has actually read anything he has ever written will know. The woman is dumber than a bag of rocks.
    She is plainly not dumb; she's totally nailed the idiocy of the Leave camp, many of whom are now running around in increasingly tighter circles looking for someone to blame.

Remember "they need us more than we need them"? Not hearing that so much these days?
    But they do. And eventually, unless we just give in, that will count.
    The EU needs the UK. The UK needs the EU more. We're talking orders of magnitude.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Wrong gender

'Identify' is a transitive verb and requires an object. :smile:

('Self-identify', on the other hand, is intransitive.)
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Amazing to think that Lewisham East and West were Tory seats in the Thatcher landslides. Indeed many of those 'half way' into central London seats were Tory in 1983 and 1987. I'd like to see a real challenge to Labour but like others I don't see it materialising here. Lets see.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Barnesian said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Barnesian said:

Agreed. But it is lazy.
    Come to think of it, it was the war-cry of Mick Pork, second only to tim as the scourge of PB tories.
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

*tears of laughter*

PLEASE have more tory twits like Hammond intervene.

Priceless.

You evidently didn't hear the C4 interview then. Despite Krishnan G-M's best efforts he did not intervene in the Indy ref.....

Do you think an Independent Scotland will get the Type 26 destroyer order?

It will be announced late 2014.....

Unspoofable.

You're right. It is not just PB Tories..
    Well done finding that, I find archive searches on PB virtually impossible.
    It's another 'feature' of Vanilla!
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Wrong gender

Goddamn it, you might be right!

(grumble grumble grumble it's still shorter grumble grumble)

:)
  • Options

viewcode said:

You missed Trump from your list.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,098

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Barnesian said:

Agreed. But it is lazy.
    He was banned.

I think pound for pound we Gnats have had more bans than any other party, unless you consider the Holocaust deniers as such.

It’s not my site but I regret the loss of the posters I disagree with more than the others. The site needs diversity of views.
    I'd imagine if the posters in question abased themselves before Yahweh Smithson, they might be able to creep back.

It has been rumoured so..
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Wrong gender

'Self-identify' is pretty ugly tbf. But what's the alternative?...

"He could always identify himself herself as a woman" ??
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Scott_P said:
    The UN would have more credibility on such matters if Saudi Arabia wasn't on their human rights council.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Barnesian said:

Agreed. But it is lazy.
    He was banned.

I think we deserve to see a definitive list.

Or perhaps posters could self-identify as their former selves?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Barnesian said:

Agreed. But it is lazy.
    He was banned.

We should have a 'rogues list' of recently banned posters at the top of the page so that we can all play spot the reincarnatee (if that's a word?).
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Wrong gender

You could always go with "identify" and leave the object dangling (oooo-er). But it's one of those things: precision versus ease. I am torn.

My train stop is coming up: gotta go.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Wrong gender

You could always go with "identify" and leave the object dangling (oooo-er). But it's one of those things: precision versus ease. I am torn.

My train stop is coming up: gotta go.
    I think you're right, the object is implied and obvious. But 'self-identify' is not wrong.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The UN calls us waycist ? Lol.

• Options
    viewcode said:

Clearly you know very little about him. He certainly doesn't think that those who disagree with him are bad nor that failures are due to bad people. If you actually bothered to read any of his writings you would find his position is far closer to that of many Lib Dems than it is to classic Tories.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Elliot said:

Scott_P said:
    The UN would have more credibility on such matters if Saudi Arabia wasn't on their human rights council.
    It seems as though the UN envoy is a junior academic.

Her publication list includes

Migration as Decolonization; Governing Xenophobia; The Fact of Xenophobia and the Fiction of State Sovereignty: Syria and the Responsibility to Protect Refugees: Structural Xenophobic Discrimination

Perusing these documents, it is clear she believes that migration is the legitimate dismantling of economic inequality originating in the European colonial project.
  • Options
    Bad news for automated check outs in supermarkets - the luddites are coming.

https://twitter.com/sunpolitics/status/995063500677484546?s=21
  • Options

Elliot said:

Scott_P said:
    It seems as though the UN envoy is a junior academic.

Her publication list includes

Migration as Decolonization; Governing Xenophobia; The Fact of Xenophobia and the Fiction of State Sovereignty: Syria and the Responsibility to Protect Refugees: Structural Xenophobic Discrimination

Perusing these documents, it is clear she believes that migration is the legitimate dismantling of economic inequality originating in the European colonial project.
    The Guardian has recent form for publicising junior academics as “experts”.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    The PB Tories.

Unspoofable.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Barnesian said:

Agreed. But it is lazy.
    He was banned.

I think we deserve to see a definitive list.

Or perhaps posters could self-identify as their former selves?
    This is the one post where +1 is justified.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Just throwing a philosophical question out there.

If people are taxed on their work, why shouldn’t robots be?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

"If there is no robot heaven then where do all the calculators go when they die?"
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Anazina said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

What benefits do robots get?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

The PB Tories.

Unspoofable.

Of course. Only accept the real McCoy.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

"If there is no robot heaven then where do all the calculators go when they die?"
    "Do Corbynites dream of steam-powered sheep?"
  • Options
    RobD said:

Anazina said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Define a robot. Should a teasmaid pay tax? What about your smart phone? Is Siri going to be raided at dawn by Customs and Excise?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609
    Anazina said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Because as a practical solution to what might be a serious political problem in the relatively near future, it’s utterly impractical compared to the other means of taxation available ?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

The PB Tories.

Unspoofable.

What have they done now?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992

RobD said:

Anazina said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Define a robot. Should a teasmaid pay tax? What about your smart phone? Is Siri going to be raided at dawn by Customs and Excise?
    Taxes almost always target the moment when money changes hands: from person to corporation (VAT), from corporation to person (income tax), etc. This is because this is the point at which value can be assessed.

What is the value that is being assessed in the case of a robot? Will it be based on notional output? How is that measured in the case that a robot is perhaps one tenth of a production line? If a man presses a button and a machine acts, is that a robot? What differentiates a robot from an automated production line?

And most importantly: surely the output from a robot is already taxed through the profits of a firm? And if it is not, perhaps the problem is the way corporation tax is avoided, rather than the existence of robots.
  • Options
    No googling.

Late night quiz question: three men served as cabinet ministers continually from the beginning of Blair's Premiership in 1997, to the end of Brown's in 2010.

Jack Straw goes without saying, but who are the other two?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

No googling.

Late night quiz question: three men served as cabinet ministers continually from the beginning of Blair's Premiership in 1997, to the end of Brown's in 2010.

Is the PM technically a Cabinet minister? :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

No googling.

Yes, and very good, you just knocked off one.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

No googling.

I have no clue about the other one. I know Reid had a lot of positions, but not sure if he was in the Cabinet way back in '97.
  • Options
    I totally cheated and looked it up. I should have remembered him.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065
    RobD said:

I totally cheated and looked it up. I should have remembered him.

Move over...
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 707
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

No googling.

Knocked off two?
  • Options
    New thread...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

No googling.

Did Charlie Faulkner ever resign?
This discussion has been closed.