Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit exit date punters get nervous the following the Elector

12346»

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,628
    I've just realised I'm one of the few PBers who do not watch Eurovision and honestly does not care. Weird... :(
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,643
    viewcode said:

Irish don't give any points to the UK!

Why should it?

They don't have to, but historically they have awarded us more points than any other nation, and the points they have received from us is higher than from any other nation.

So getting none from them is unusual, although apparently in the last couple of decades they have been awarding us less than they used to before 1997 according to wiki.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    HYUFD said:

AnneJGP said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Must be Israel now

Is this the one where the winner has to host next year's event?
    Yes it will be in Jerusalem next year (which I am also visiting in February).

Netanyahu will be pleased

https://mobile.twitter.com/netanyahu/status/995415117176147973
    Great Country to visit
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

I have zero sympathy with Remainers bleating about xenophobia.

Some people did very well out of being in the EU. Some places did very well. These people, these places didn’t care about the folks, the places that got left behind. Your mistake, Meeks & Co.

Let’s look at an area I know well, science & technology R&D.

Remainer-dom, Oxford and its environs, Cambridge and its environs, and (parts of) inner West & North London account for nearly 50 per cent of all R&D public spending (EU, government, HE and charity sectors).

Then we come to Leaver-stan. The long tail, with much hardly any investment in R&D, either public or private. Crap places, crap people, crap jobs-- the people Meeks referred to in his elitist hauteur as Carrot Munchers.

It includes all of Wales, Northern Ireland, the North of England, Southwest England beyond Bristol, outer east and southeast London and Kent, Lincolnshire. This is left-behind Britain.

Well, smug Remainers - you didn’t care about the left-behind. You were happy with a grossly unequal country when you were pocketing the proceeds of EU membership.

You got what you deserved in the referendum.

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Why should it?

They don't have to, but historically they have awarded us more points than any other nation, and the points they have received from us is higher than from any other nation.

So getting none from them is unusual, although apparently in the last couple of decades they have been awarding us less than they used to before 1997 according to wiki.
    Gosh, I wonder what we could have done to upset the Irish...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    https://mobile.twitter.com/netanyahu/status/995435130985635840

Bibi breaks off from annoying leftwingers over Iran to annoy leftwingers with Israel's Eurovision win
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    viewcode said:

I've just realised I'm one of the few PBers who do not watch Eurovision and honestly does not care. Weird... :(

17 of the 26 final entries were sung in English.
  • Options

I want to vote Leave again.

Why do you hate Israel? Are you a Corbynista?
    As a brief amusment I did a google search for 'boycott israeli eurovision' but other than the Liverpool friends of Palestine ('we have no particular political bias') wanting a campaign to award Israel nul points I don't see anything obvious that there were any big, bonkers campaigns against them to cause a laugh.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    viewcode said:

I'm another, but it's great fun watching the reactions live on PB.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

We were being super nice to them up to 1997, when they regularly awarded us the top points? It's a long term trend apparently, I guess they no longer like UK songs (or are not willing to pretend to like the eurovision offerings due to being neighbours)
  • Options
    Our immediate post-Brexit Vote Eurovision surge has been reversed.

we came 24th in 2016, then 15th in 2017, but 24th again this year :(
  • Options
    Israeli Ambassador thanks the UK for the 10 points

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkRegev/status/995435630686560256
  • Options

Our immediate post-Brexit Vote Eurovision surge has been reversed.

we came 24th in 2016, then 15th in 2017, but 24th again this year :(

A sign of the negotiations? A period of improvement, followed by being back where we started.
  • Options

Some people did very well out of being in the EU. Some places did very well. These people, these places didn’t care about the folks, the places that got left behind. Your mistake, Meeks & Co.

Remainer-dom, Oxford and its environs, Cambridge and its environs, and (parts of) inner West & North London account for nearly 50 per cent of all R&D public spending (EU, government, HE and charity sectors).

Then we come to Leaver-stan. The long tail, with much hardly any investment in R&D, either public or private. Crap places, crap people, crap jobs-- the people Meeks referred to in his elitist hauteur as Carrot Munchers.

It includes all of Wales, Northern Ireland, the North of England, Southwest England beyond Bristol, outer east and southeast London and Kent, Lincolnshire. This is left-behind Britain.

Well, smug Remainers - you didn’t care about the left-behind. You were happy with a grossly unequal country when you were pocketing the proceeds of EU membership.

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Why should it?

Such as? They been independent for nigh on 100 years.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Why should it?

We got 10 points from the Ireland audience, 6 from Australia, 3 from Albania, 1 from Germany, 1 from Malta.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Why should it?

We got 10 points from the Ireland audience, 6 from Australia, 3 from Albania, 1 from Germany, 1 from Malta.
    Juries, not audience :)
  • Options

It's a fair point but my response is that the referendum was an argument between two parts of the elite: those who were doing very well out of the Eurocentric setup and those who felt limited by it. The latter enlisted the support of the poor in the Referendum and consequently won: famously, the EU referendum was the first election won by the working class since 1974(?). In that respect it fit the profile of a revolution, albeit a civilised one.

So I assume it will proceed like every other revolution: the poor will be discarded as they have been since time immemorial and the victorious side of the elite will carry on with whatever they intended to do in the first place, without regard to the poor.

So your fire is directed at the wrong people.

If you don't believe me, ask yourself the problem is (inequality? immigration? whatever?), what level was it at the time of the referendum, and what level do you think it will be in the future... :(
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Why should it?

Audience votes. From the Eurovision app results page. We got no points from the Irish jury.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Why should it?

Audience votes. From the Eurovision app results page. We got no points from the Irish jury.
    Typical out of touch judges, eh?

Night all.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Why should it?

My apologies, yes of course!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Today's Iraqi election. A triumph for Blair and Bush's 2003 policy of invasion.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Why should it?

I have just woken up and made myself a cup of tea. Why are grown men behaving like kids ?

Null points, obviously for the hard border!
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

viewcode said:

Indeed.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

After several hundred thousand dead.......
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2018
    surby said:

AndyJS said:

The only way to get rid of Saddam was through warfare, sadly.
  • Options
    PM Netanyahu has now personally phoned Netta to congratulate her on winning Eurovision for Israel

https://mobile.twitter.com/netanyahu/status/995441194078482432
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AnneJGP said:

viewcode said:

Indeed.
    Interesting watching viewcode's reaction to the reactions live on PB :)
  • Options
    Apparently, the Israeli entry is a feminist song. So it's OK.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    HYUFD said:

AnneJGP said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Must be Israel now

Is this the one where the winner has to host next year's event?
    Yes it will be in Jerusalem next year (which I am also visiting in February).

Netanyahu will be pleased

https://mobile.twitter.com/netanyahu/status/995415117176147973
    He calls her a cow in Hebrew - or is there something lost in (auto-)translation there?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Israeli Ambassador thanks the UK for the 10 points

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkRegev/status/995435630686560256

They are taking this farce so seriously!
  • Options

viewcode said:

AnneJGP said:

viewcode said:

Indeed.
    Interesting watching viewcode's reaction to the reactions live on PB :)
    I was going to reply to this, but then I realise it would be my reaction to your reaction to my reaction to other's reactions to a competition I did not witness... :)
  • Options
    surby said:

"I'm not your toy
    You stupid boy!"
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    surby said:

AndyJS said:

And the rise of ISIS
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

surby said:

AndyJS said:

The only way to get rid of Saddam was through warfare, sadly.
    I don't think Kim will be got rid off - so what's the difference ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

I want to vote Leave again.

You’ll get your chance.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

surby said:

"I'm not your toy
    You stupid boy!"
    If the lyrics had been

'Don't do a twirl
    You stupid girl!' - there would have been outrage and the song would never have won
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    edited May 2018
    “organisations representing” 1m students =/= 1m students.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,923
    NeilVW said:

“organisations representing” 1m students =/= 1m students.

+1
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    edited May 2018
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Interesting background to the standoff between Westminster & Holyrood:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/fear-of-sinn-fein-the-root-cause-of-brexit-power-grab-1-4738755
  • Options
    Tessa Jowell has passed away. RIP.
  • Options
    The correct headline should be: More than a million students and young people who did not have a vote about their future wants a new vote on Brexit.
  • Options

Interesting background to the standoff between Westminster & Holyrood:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/fear-of-sinn-fein-the-root-cause-of-brexit-power-grab-1-4738755

But NI already makes / has made their own laws since Sinn Fein came into government. Ironically, one of their demands , abortion, which the DUP opposes will bring NI closer to the rest of the UK. Same goes for gay rights.
This discussion has been closed.