Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s hard to see how insulting a key segment of the elecorate

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

Americans being pro-Israel isn’t very surprising, interesting that we apparently aren’t though. Another example of how US Democrats and Labour supporters here view the world pretty differently.

"According to a 2009 international study commissioned by the Israeli Foreign Ministry, the greatest level of sympathy towards Israel can be found in India, with 58% of Indian respondents showing sympathy towards Israel.
    [...]
    As reported in 2015, opinion polls taken in India showed 70% and above of respondents had "favorable views of Israel."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India–Israel_relations
    ? Not sure why you’re telling me this.
    Er, because it not just Americans?
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    TGOHF said:

Gammongate shows the left has time and energy - but no critical thinking , no persuasion and no desire to compromise. Just intolerance.

What is most odd about it is the way the left commentariat has rallied round their Twitter trolls making an attack on the white working class. They think winning the social media gotcha game is what matters, apparently deaf to how it would play among their own traditional base.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692

Shout out to the 17% of Leave voters who expected Brexit to go badly but voted for it anyway.
    Another shout out to the 86% of Leave voters (other Yougov poll) who still think Brexit was the right thing to do despite overwhelmingly thinking it's going badly (this poll).
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    HYUFD said:

Americans being pro-Israel isn’t very surprising, interesting that we apparently aren’t though. Another example of how US Democrats and Labour supporters here view the world pretty differently.

As do most Tories and Trump Republicans.

Beyond a few Sanders supporters not many Democrats would vote for Corbyn and beyond a few Moggites not many Tories would vote for Trump
    People say this country is small c Conservative, but America has always come across to me as a very right wing country, more right wing than here for sure.
  • Options

"According to a 2009 international study commissioned by the Israeli Foreign Ministry, the greatest level of sympathy towards Israel can be found in India, with 58% of Indian respondents showing sympathy towards Israel.
    [...]
    As reported in 2015, opinion polls taken in India showed 70% and above of respondents had "favorable views of Israel."

Never claimed it was ‘only’ Americans though. Just said it wasn’t surprising that they were pro-Israel.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Who cares what some middle class political zealots. who haven't actually succeeded in any significant way, think.

Let them all go to Gaza and try to tear that fence down. But they won't because they'd shit themselves and leave.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    Motivational video from IDF sniper school leaked.

https://youtu.be/HQzfaiSnHnY
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    FF43 said:

Shout out to the 17% of Leave voters who expected Brexit to go badly but voted for it anyway.
    Another shout out to the 86% of Leave voters (other Yougov poll) who still think Brexit was the right thing to do despite overwhelmingly thinking it's going badly (this poll).

Brexit is the mess I expected it to be in the way I expected it to be. ie a political mess. Brexit will not and cannot resolve anything due to its existential contradictions. The government vacillations are therefore consequences of Brexit problems and not the cause of them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited May 2018

HYUFD said:

Beyond a few Sanders supporters not many Democrats would vote for Corbyn and beyond a few Moggites not many Tories would vote for Trump
    People say this country is small c Conservative, but America has always come across to me as a very right wing country, more right wing than here for sure.
    The USA is the most right wing western country, especially in the South but that has always been the case, we are more in the middle, right of Sweden but left of the USA
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Brexit is the mess I expected it to be in the way I expected it to be. ie a political mess. Brexit will not and cannot resolve anything due to its existential contradictions. The government vacillations are therefore consequences of Brexit problems and not the cause of them.
    I don't remember what number you gave last time I asked, but has your view on the likelihood that Brexit won't happen changed in the last month?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2018

[...]

The Chinese are very pro-Israel in my experience. Maybe more accurately, very pro-Israeli technology.

Stuff they pay for, or just the stuff they steal / copy?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited May 2018
    On Topic.

What did the people in the pics do to raise the ire of Corbynista's?
  • Options

Motivational video from IDF sniper school leaked.

//youtu.be/HQzfaiSnHnY

Were the Jews of Plaszow Camp throwing stones or firebombs?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yet we are a Monarchy with an unelected House of Lords, they are a Republic.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

[...]

Never claimed it was ‘only’ Americans though. Just said it wasn’t surprising that they were pro-Israel.
    I remember reading a piece hostile towards Dave in some US online publication or other. It was early in Dave's leadership when he'd made some mildly critical remarks about Israel. What surprised me were the comments by the American readers: almost universally in agreement with Dave and saying that the US was too slavishly pro-Israel and no good ever comes of it.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,503
    Elliot said:

TGOHF said:

Gammongate shows the left has time and energy - but no critical thinking , no persuasion and no desire to compromise. Just intolerance.

What is most odd about it is the way the left commentariat has rallied round their Twitter trolls making an attack on the white working class. They think winning the social media gotcha game is what matters, apparently deaf to how it would play among their own traditional base.
    Lots of people don't care about their base any more. Or rules. Or old ways of winning elections. They are just angry and its like a collective psychosis has taken hold of our public life. It's all about purity of thought and enemies. It's madness.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    GIN1138 said:

On Topic.

What did the people in the pics do to raise the ire of Corbynista's?

Corbynistas always seem to be looking for a group to have a go at....Centrist Dad was the insult of choice a few months ago...
  • Options

[...]

The Soviets were the first nation to legally recognise Israel in 1948, ahead of the Americans.
  • Options
    The former Russian spy is said to have travelled widely, offering information on Russian espionage to security officers in both Prague and Estonia.

Such briefings were yesterday cited as a possible motive for Russia’s attempt to kill both Col Skripal, 66, and his daughter, Yulia, 33, with a powerful nerve agent at their Salisbury home in March.

He met with Czech intelligence officials on several occasions, according to the New York Times.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/14/sergei-skripal-briefing-intelligence-officers-eastern-europe/

I wonder if the ever heard of the tale of Agent COB?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I don't remember what number you gave last time I asked, but has your view on the likelihood that Brexit won't happen changed in the last month?
    I expect Brexit to happen. There has to be a possibility of it not happening, simply because membership of the EU is categorically better for the UK in terms of the economy, foreign policy and security, if not in political terms. Reverting a democratically decision is a big deal. (Knowingly acting against your country's self interest is also a big deal, I guess).

Tolerable mediocrity is where Brexit needs to be at. I wouldn't say it meets even that dismal standard right now.
  • Options

[...]

The Soviets were the first nation to legally recognise Israel in 1948, ahead of the Americans.
    Don’t find that surprising either. Apparently the left used to be quite pro-Israel back in those days.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,923
    Elliot said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

Another panglossian poll. The sensible answer is: 'it began as a complete clusterfuck and has progressively worsened since then'.
    That's not a sensible answer, the point is clearly to assess people's initial expectations vs their current assessment, which your answer does not since it doesn't indicate what your initial expectation was (though it can be inferred). I don't think it covers all the options, but its purpose seems reasonable.
    I'll rephrase:

My initial expectations were that it would be a complete clusterfuck and my current assessment is several rungs worse.
    You'd need to include the other extreme to avoid accusations of push-polling.

"I expected Brexit to be full of sunlit uplands and I think they are in sight."
    Jokes to one side, I would struggle to answer that question. I didn't think and don't now think that Brexit would be done well or badly. I thought it would be a typical British muddle through and that's what we have got. It's definitely going better than the mess that is European integration. How many are still out of work in the EU?
    Slightly curiously, since the creation of the Eurozone (1/1/99) most of the bloc's countries (with the exception of Italy and Greece) have actually done pretty well in job creation. Unlike the US and Japan, employment rates have mostly risen.
  • Options

[...]

I remember reading a piece hostile towards Dave in some US online publication or other. It was early in Dave's leadership when he'd made some mildly critical remarks about Israel. What surprised me were the comments by the American readers: almost universally in agreement with Dave and saying that the US was too slavishly pro-Israel and no good ever comes of it.
    I don’t think the American Right liked Cameron very much at all, but I don’t get the impression the American Left liked him very much either. Theresa May seems more popular than him among the former, but she has shown a willingness to associate with them more as per her visit to America last year with that speech to Republicans.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

HYUFD said:

There is a difference between being right wing and being conservative. Indeed it is quite possible to be left wing and small c conservative. I would regard Corbyn as quite conservative in his views in terms of being keen to keep the postwar welfare state, and state intervention in industry.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

Another panglossian poll. The sensible answer is: 'it began as a complete clusterfuck and has progressively worsened since then'.
    That's not a sensible answer, the point is clearly to assess people's initial expectations vs their current assessment, which your answer does not since it doesn't indicate what your initial expectation was (though it can be inferred). I don't think it covers all the options, but its purpose seems reasonable.
    I'll rephrase:

My initial expectations were that it would be a complete clusterfuck and my current assessment is several rungs worse.

Jokes to one side, I would struggle to answer that question. I didn't think and don't now think that Brexit would be done well or badly. I thought it would be a typical British muddle through and that's what we have got. It's definitely going better than the mess that is European integration. How many are still out of work in the EU?
    Slightly curiously, since the creation of the Eurozone (1/1/99) most of the bloc's countries (with the exception of Italy and Greece) have actually done pretty well in job creation. Unlike the US and Japan, employment rates have mostly risen.
    Yet of the Eurozone nations only Germany and Malta have lower unemployment than the USA, so it is no surprise who the greatest beneficiary of the Euro has been!
  • Options
    edited May 2018

[...]

I don’t think the American Right liked Cameron very much at all, but I don’t get the impression the American Left liked him very much either. Theresa May seems more popular than him among the former, but she has shown a willingness to associate with them more as per her visit to America last year with that speech to Republicans.
    Though neither May nor Cameron come close to the reverence for Thatcher amongst US conservatives.

Indeed some of my parents' friends were visiting New Hampshire in 1989 and were often told by conservatives there they would gladly swap Bush Snr for Mrs T. She and Reagan went hand in hand in a way May and Trump don't
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

[...]

The Chinese are very pro-Israel in my experience. Maybe more accurately, very pro-Israeli technology.

Stuff they pay for, or just the stuff they steal / copy?
    There has long been a trading relationship there, one that has frustrated the USA on a number of occasions.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

I'll rephrase:

Yet of the Eurozone nations only Germany and Malta have lower unemployment than the USA, so it is no surprise who the greatest beneficiary of the Euro has been!
    My point is that the countries of the Eurozone had structurally higher unemployment from before they joined the euro.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

I'll rephrase:

While the USA has low official unemployment, it also has a low employment rate. Many are simply not seeking work for a variety of reasons:

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/employment-rate
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

I'll rephrase:

My point is that the countries of the Eurozone had structurally higher unemployment from before they joined the euro.
    Greek unemployment was just over 10% in 1999, it is now over 20%
    https://tradingeconomics.com/greece/unemployment-rate
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    HYUFD said:

[...]

Though neither May nor Cameron come close to the reverence for Thatcher amongst US conservatives.

Indeed some of my parents' friends were visiting New Hampshire in 1989 and were often told by conservatives there they would gladly swap Bush Snr for Mrs T. She and Reagan went hand in hand in a way May and Trump don't
    Thatcher is the most right leaning of PMs we’ve had in the last four decades or so, so that doesn’t surprise me. Apparently Americans like Blair as well, though to a lesser extent than Thatcher.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

I'll rephrase:

While the USA has low official unemployment, it also has a low employment rate. Many are simply not seeking work for a variety of reasons:

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/employment-rate
    It is true some have dropped out of the labour market, especially in the labour market
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

There is a difference between being right wing and being conservative. Indeed it is quite possible to be left wing and small c conservative. I would regard Corbyn as quite conservative in his views in terms of being keen to keep the postwar welfare state, and state intervention in industry.
    That’s a good point. Many Labour voters are probably small c conservative as well.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

[...]

Thatcher is the most right leaning of PMs we’ve had in the last four decades or so, so that doesn’t surprise me. Apparently Americans like Blair as well, though to a lesser extent than Thatcher.
    For Americans Blair was like Clinton if he could keep his zipper shut!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    On the Brandon O'Neill thing, apparently random trots on twitter are now "elite".
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    murali_s said:

When will this lame Tory Government come out and condemn the rogue pariah nation of Israel? When FFS?

I doubt a pariah nation would win Eurovision.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    HYUFD said:

nunuone said:
    'Palestinians hurled stones and incendiary devices'.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-44116340

'Incendiary weapons, incendiary devices or incendiary bombs are weapons designed to start fires or destroy sensitive equipment using fire, that use materials such as napalm, thermite, magnesium powder, chlorine trifluoride, or white phosphorus.'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incendiary_device
    Israeli troops may have been over zealous in their response but the rioters were pretty violent too
    Um no. A petrol bomb is an incendiary device. Trying to claim the protestors were using napalm or white phosphorus is ludicrous. Only the Israeli army uses that in Gaza.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    TGOHF said:

murali_s said:

When will this lame Tory Government come out and condemn the rogue pariah nation of Israel? When FFS?

You would like to think that a nation that routinely shot unarmed protestors at its border would not win Eurovision but apparently that is acceptable these days.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nunuone said:

'Incendiary weapons, incendiary devices or incendiary bombs are weapons designed to start fires or destroy sensitive equipment using fire, that use materials such as napalm, thermite, magnesium powder, chlorine trifluoride, or white phosphorus.'
    Israeli troops may have been over zealous in their response but the rioters were pretty violent too
    Um no. A petrol bomb is an incendiary device. Trying to claim the protestors were using napalm or white phosphorus is ludicrous. Only the Israeli army uses that in Gaza.
    A petrol bomb can still be a very dangerous weapon
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nunuone said:

A petrol bomb can still be a very dangerous weapon
    Come on. It's not like napalm or white phosphorus. You're losing this particular argument.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

murali_s said:

You would like to think that a nation that routinely shot unarmed protestors at its border would not win Eurovision but apparently that is acceptable these days.
    The ROI won in 1993 just a few weeks after the deadly IRA Warrington bomb.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    HYUFD said:
    Not quite. It is Mann who has said that the EEA option is dead. Not Corbyn.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

murali_s said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CziHrYYSyPc
  • Options

On the Brandon O'Neill thing, apparently random trots on twitter are now "elite".

"Elites" is the random catch all insult.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:
    Corbyn made quite clear Britain did not want to be a 'rule taker' from Brussels and a Labour spokesman also confirmed the leadership's view that the Norway/EEA model 'was not appropriate'
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2018
    Confirmation that gammon was trending yesterday:
    https://trends24.in/united-kingdom/

When was the last time that gammon was this trendy?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2018
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

murali_s said:

The ROI won in 1993 just a few weeks after the deadly IRA Warrington bomb.
    And neither incident was the fault of Netta or Niamh Kavanagh!

Should Turkey never win because of the Ottoman Empire?

Or the UK because of the Iraq war

Or Germany because of WWI and WWII.

Or Russia over Chechnya.

You could find an excuse to exclude everyone for something bad their country did once.

It's a song contest that for one week a year brings lots of people together for fun. And may the best song win not the most politically correct nation.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
  • Options
    Betting post:

"US Supreme Court rules in favour of sports betting across the country
    New Jersey could see legal sports betting at its casinos and racetracks 'within weeks'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/sports-betting-usa-states-supreme-court-new-jersey-nevada-chris-chrsitie-a8351656.html
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Just realised Reading is 40 minutes from London and has 2-3 bedroom houses for sale at less then £250,000!

• Options
    nunuone said:

Just realised Reading is 40 minutes from London and has 2-3 bedroom houses for sale at less then £250,000!

Lots of places in the Midlands are only 60 minutes from London and are even more affordable than Reading.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

[...]

Don’t find that surprising either. Apparently the left used to be quite pro-Israel back in those days.
    There was a very strong socialist/communist streak in Zionism back in the day. Many kibbutzes (kibbutzim?) were organized as socialist collectives. E.g. there were no wages or money transactions inside the community; you drew what you needed from the commissary, etc.
  • Options
    "Is the new left-wing insult “gammon” racist towards white men?

The latest put-down among Jeremy Corbyn supporters is facing backlash."

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/05/new-left-wing-insult-gammon-racist-towards-white-men
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

I'll rephrase:

Greek unemployment was just over 10% in 1999, it is now over 20%
    https://tradingeconomics.com/greece/unemployment-rate
    As I said, "the exception of Italy and Greece"
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:
    Corbyn made quite clear Britain did not want to be a 'rule taker' from Brussels and a Labour spokesman also confirmed the leadership's view that the Norway/EEA model 'was not appropriate'
    FFS. If we are in a Customs Union, as Labour propose, then we will have to have regulatory alignment with SM regulations. So therefore how does that not make us a 'rule taker'?

Hard brexit is, by definition, the only way to avoid being a 'rule taker'. So is Corbyn supporting JRM now?

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:
    Corbyn: Hard Brexit's Bessy Mate.....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,643
    nunuone said:

That astonishes me because 1 bedroom flats in reading were pretty darn expensive 10 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.