Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s Opinium net approval ratings trail both Cable and May

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s Opinium net approval ratings trail both Cable and May by 10 points

The May Opinium poll for the Observer is just including what is the only leader approval ratings series from any UK pollster.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    This poll on UNS would see the Tories gain 15 seats from Labour (including that of Ms Dent Coad) for an overall majority of 14, virtually identical to Cameron's 2015 majority
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Cable is only on -8 because 92% of the population didn't know who he was, while the other 8% thought him a tosser.
    Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

And I am instinctively wary of those groups who want to rip everything up and start again. In politics that has usually resulted in a lot of destruction and misery and very little constructive achievement to show for it.

There is an example right in front of us but the name escapes me for the moment......

If you don't mind a techy read, this is an excellent article on that very phenomenon: https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/
    Had lunch with Joel Spolsky once. Nice bloke.
    Jealous. I think his blog (when he wrote it) was excellent.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    How long before the usual suspect pops up to tell us to ignore all mid-term polling because it is totally useless?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    rcs1000 said:

Cable is only on -8 because 92% of the population didn't know who he was, while the other 8% thought him a tosser.

I suspect he is quite well known actually. I'm sorry to say that your hostility hardly surprises me and you dislike Cable because the city boys have been losing the argument for 10 years. Deal with it or come up with a more popular prospectus.

rcs1000 said:

I suspect he is quite well known actually. I'm sorry to say that your hostility hardly surprises me and you dislike Cable because the city boys have been losing the argument for 10 years. Deal with it or come up with a more popular prospectus.
    He drones. That is my objection.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

He drones. That is my objection.
    Oh really? I detect sour grapes.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited May 2018
    CON 43 (+3)
    LAB 39 (-1)

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    13 Con poll leads in a row.
    There is a legitimate criticism to be made of Vince that he appears to have made a volte face on a second referendum since becoming Lib Dem leader.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

There is a legitimate criticism to be made of Vince that he appears to have made a volte face on a second referendum since becoming Lib Dem leader.

Don't think I remember him saying anything at all as leader. He makes Iain Duncan Smith look like a motormouth.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    AndyJS said:

They should call an election! :wink:
    Andrew said:

Don't think I remember him saying anything at all as leader. He makes Iain Duncan Smith look like a motormouth.
    To be fair he does only have a dozen MPs.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited May 2018
    HYUFD said:

This poll on UNS would see the Tories gain 15 seats from Labour (including that of Ms Dent Coad) for an overall majority of 14, virtually identical to Cameron's 2015 majority

On a swing of 0.75% there would actually be 11 Tory gains at Labour expense. It might be worth bearing in mind too that most of those seats would have Labour MPs who might reasonably expect a first term incumbency bonus.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

CON 43 (+3)
    LAB 39 (-1)

Gold standard? :o
    AndyJS said:

There has been one tie too!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    A whole 10 points, huh? No doubt Corbyn is devastated.

Also, why would Cable's score have improved? Has he done anything recently that I was not aware of?
    kle4 said:

Also, why would Cable's score have improved? Has he done anything recently that I was not aware of?

Some LibDem success at the Local Elections possibly - though that is not reflected in their recorded vote share here.
  • steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    kle4 said:

Corbyn may not be devastated but he should be doing better. His churlish and joyless decision not to congratulate Harry and Meghan today is probably on the wrong side of public opinion.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    We don’t like politicians much do we? Another thing the great British public get right.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

kle4 said:

Corbyn may not be devastated but he should be doing better. His churlish and joyless decision not to congratulate Harry and Meghan today is probably on the wrong side of public opinion.
    It probably didn’t affect their nuptials unduly.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    I remember the days when Mrs May had a 69% lead over Mr Corbyn.

Within weeks he had a 4% lead.

kle4 said:

How will public opinion find out about it (particularly if he tweets something, say, tomorrow)? No one will remember. And yes, he should be doing better, but given what happened last time he's not going to panic no matter what polls say, even if what happened last time is no guarantee on next time.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

AndyJS said:

They should call an election! :wink:
    Con Maj Nailed On!

Labour will have to disband!
    Con gain Bootle
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    What a miserable git....

It was Labour MP Dennis Skinner who perhaps best captured the caustic mood of those left cold by the happy couple’s big day. Posting a “do not disturb sign” on his Twitter account, the Beast of Bolsover, displayed a four point checklist: “Newspaper in the bin. CHECK; TV unplugged. CHECK; Radio, batteries removed. CHECK; Twitter feed disabled. CHECK; Have a lovely day.”
    I'm quite disappointed by this wedding, where was the Pippa Middleton de nos jours?

I'm quite disappointed by this wedding, where was the Pippa Middleton de nos jours?

They learned from last time.
    Freggles said:

Con gain Bootle

We've moved on.

The new target is Con gain Scotland.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

How will public opinion find out about it (particularly if he tweets something, say, tomorrow)? No one will remember. And yes, he should be doing better, but given what happened last time he's not going to panic no matter what polls say, even if what happened last time is no guarantee on next time.
    Last time the Tories got 43% in GB, they are now still on 43%. Labour is down 2% from the 42% they got last time.

All Corbyn did last time was squeeze the leftwing LD, Green, SNP and UKIP voters behind him, he made virtually no net gains from the Tories in terms of voters on 2015. Next time he has little more leftwing voters to squeeze and will have to win over Tories to become PM, this poll confirms he is still a long way from doing that
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2018

twitter.com/AEHALL1983/status/997921351502614528

Is that not a tad shall we a say condescending...if I told mrs urquhart I could
    Help her unlock her talent, I will be sleeping outside with the dog (if I am lucky), or be looking for a new significant other (if she isn’t feeling so generous).
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Though she didnt break through in Britain, she broke through in Obama's USA. .

But that process has now happened and things have realigned. It is not as if Corbyn is coming as a surprise package any longer.
    Freggles said:

Con gain Bootle

Not quite, though on this poll the Tories would gain Kensington, Dudley North, Newcastle Under Lyme, Crewe and Nantwich, Canterbury, Barrow and Furness, Keighley, Ashfield, Stroud, Bishop Auckland and Peterborough from Labour.
    http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative
    It is that sort of facile, patronising identity politics that is damaging the Left. They need to start looking at unlocking the potential of individuals based on their talents not their skin colour.

But that process has now happened and things have realigned. It is not as if Corbyn is coming as a surprise package any longer.
    Haha - please keep on believing that pal!

twitter.com/AEHALL1983/status/997921351502614528

Is that not a tad shall we a say condescending
    I believe James Cleverly spent the afternoon that came out tweeting photos of Tory BAME candidates who hadn't needed Labour to unlock their talent.

Even a super lefty friend of mine thought it a very ill judged message, although clearly it didn't harm them any, and it's not like any political party gets all its messages right, the Tories certainly do not.

What a miserable git....

It was Labour MP Dennis Skinner who perhaps best captured the caustic mood of those left cold by the happy couple’s big day. Posting a “do not disturb sign” on his Twitter account, the Beast of Bolsover, displayed a four point checklist: “Newspaper in the bin. CHECK; TV unplugged. CHECK; Radio, batteries removed. CHECK; Twitter feed disabled. CHECK; Have a lovely day.”

You know Mr Skinner, you could have just gone outside, or read a book, you didn't need to unplug everything. And why buy a paper in the first place if you intended to throw it away?
    Wouldn't a more powerful and effective demonstration of not being interested in the royal wedding have been to just not mention it, and go about your day?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922

Freggles said:

Con gain Bootle

We've moved on.

The new target is Con gain Scotland.
    Dave at GE2015 = 1 Scottish Seat
    Theresa at GE2017 = 13 Scottish Seats
    Could have been worse, he could have called her a completely different name like Stormy,

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/997911666716217344
    Foxy said:

I would say the first mixed race member of the British royal family is breaking Britain by any definition, following on of course from the first BAME Home Secretary being a Tory
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Last time the Tories got 43% in GB, they are now still on 43%. Labour is down 2% from the 42% they got last time.

All Corbyn did last time was squeeze the leftwing LD, Green, SNP and UKIP voters behind him, he made virtually no net gains from the Tories in terms of voters on 2015. Next time he has little more leftwing voters to squeeze and will have to win over Tories to become PM, this poll confirms he is still a long way from doing that
    As I said, he should be doing better (if, in the absence of anything else, we still take something away from polling). I just don't think being on the wrong end of public opinion through not sending a congrats message (yet) will figure into anything.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Corbyn did , does and always will talk via his anus.. What he says is just bullshit.
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I would say the first mixed race member of the British royal family is breaking Britain by any definition, following on of course from the first BAME Home Secretary being a Tory
    The first? You're showing your ignorance.

Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz was the first mixed race member of the British Royal Family.

It could be true. I think that it would be a mistake to assume that to be the case, very complacent, and I happen to think the chances of him winning are fairly high, but automatic dismissal of any signs he is not doing great would also be a complacent error from any Corbyn fans.

The Rev Michael Curry?
    Just imagine how far I could have gone if Jeremy Corbyn had helped unlock my talent.

Just imagine how far I could have gone if Jeremy Corbyn had helped unlock my talent.

You'd have overthrown OGH as Editor?
    Tories beginning to draw ahead in the polls as May pursues an ever softer Brexit. Fancy that!

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz was the first mixed race member of the British Royal Family.
    She was?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_of_Mecklenburg-Strelitz
    When will someone help me, a member of the white lower middle classes, unlock my talent? Or more to the point, who will help me if I have no talent to unlock?

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I don't think being the daughter of the Duke of a small north German duchy quite counts as mixed race

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

She was?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_of_Mecklenburg-Strelitz
    According to Mario de Valdes y Cocom, Charlotte may have had African ancestry, via descent from Margarita de Castro e Souza, a 15th-century Portuguese noblewoman, who traced her ancestry to King Afonso III of Portugal (1210–1279) and one of his mistresses, Madragana (c. 1230–?).[36]

Critics of Valdes's theory point out that Margarita's and Madragana's distant perch in the queen's family tree – nine and 15 generations removed, respectively – makes any African ancestry that they bequeathed to Charlotte negligible and even doubt whether Madragana was black.

Go back so many centuries I'd assume we were all mixed race.

I'm sure I spotted Camilla
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I don't think being the daughter of the Duke of a small north German duchy quite counts as mixed race
    She had black African ancestry in her genes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/meghan-markle-prince-harry-engaged-royal-wedding-mixed-race-black-princess-british-monarchy-history-a8079251.html
    kle4 said:

When will someone help me, a member of the white lower middle classes, unlock my talent? Or more to the point, who will help me if I have no talent to unlock?

The Tory Party, we made IDS leader, a man no talents.

You could be driving buses Trams in Sheffield Rotherham Parkgate :lol:
    edited May 2018
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

As I said, he should be doing better (if, in the absence of anything else, we still take something away from polling). I just don't think being on the wrong end of public opinion through not sending a congrats message (yet) will figure into anything.
    Most Labour voters won't care less that Corbyn did not send a message of congratulation, the Tory swing voters Corbyn needs to win over though, especially those who voted Labour from 1997-2005 but have voted Tory since, certainly will and will see it as peevish and disrespectful
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Come to think of it, Her Majesty's ancestry probably reflects the EU28 pretty well. :smile:

Tories beginning to draw ahead in the polls as May pursues an ever softer Brexit. Fancy that!

It is a little baffling, frankly. Not because of the soft brexit thing - I'd have said at the time that most (though not all) remain supporters would presumably prefer a softer brexit, and some number of Leave supporters would too, so something that could be portrayed as soft would probably gain more support - but because she has looked so weak and shambolic, and the Tories so stupidly divided, that eking out a lead just seems so strange.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/meghan-markle-prince-harry-engaged-royal-wedding-mixed-race-black-princess-british-monarchy-history-a8079251.html
    Some historians suspect that she does.

It is not about believing it - it is about accepting the current realities. The next election will not be a rerun of the 2017 campaign. What happened then won't happen next time round.

Any assumption that Corbyn will see a similar shift in support is just denying political reality.

But please keep on deluding yourself.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

We all do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recent_African_origin_of_modern_humans

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Come to think of it, Her Majesty's ancestry probably reflects the EU28 pretty well. :smile:
    Weren't there stories of her being descended, through some convoluted fashion, to Mohammed as well?

And that's not to mention the links to non christian deities like Woden!
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Most Labour voters won't care less that Corbyn did not send a message of congratulation, the Tory swing voters Corbyn needs to win over though, especially those who voted Labour from 1997-2005 but have voted Tory since, certainly will and will see it as peevish and disrespectful
    If you say so - but how will they know? The only people who will find out about it today are anoraks, and if you tell people even a week from now they will probably react by asking if you don't have something more important to criticise him about!
    kle4 said:

It is a little baffling, frankly. Not because of the soft brexit thing - I'd have said at the time that most (though not all) remain supporters would presumably prefer a softer brexit, and some number of Leave supporters would too, so something that could be portrayed as soft would probably gain more support - but because she has looked so weak and shambolic, and the Tories so stupidly divided, that eking out a lead just seems so strange.
    Maybe there is an understanding of (and some sympathy for) the challenge she faces with her own party? Plenty of other potential factors too, of course, e.g: Labour anti-semitism and perceived weakeness over the Salisbury poisoning; Tories softening austerity and quitely adopting popular Labour policies.

kle4 said:

If the options are 'not getting talent unlocked' or 'become leader of the Tory party' I think I'll take the former - who wants the responsibility of managing that unruly mob!

Night all.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

If you say so - but how will they know? The only people who will find out about it today are anoraks, and if you tell people even a week from now they will probably react by asking if you don't have something more important to criticise him about!
    How will they know? I suspect the DM, Sun, Express, Torygraph and other papers will mention it in passing :wink:

It is not about believing it - it is about accepting the current realities. The next election will not be a rerun of the 2017 campaign. What happened then won't happen next time round.

Any assumption that Corbyn will see a similar shift in support is just denying political reality.

But please keep on deluding yourself.
    Truth is, we neither of us know. Time will tell (assuming Jezza is still LOTO at the next GE). :smile:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

How will they know? I suspect the DM, Sun, Express, Torygraph and other papers will mention it in passing :wink:
    It's pretty weaksauce, particularly if he tweets something out tomorrow or something. "Oh noes, evil Corbyn said congrats to Harry and Meghan a day late!". Maybe I don't know squat, but I think even the partisan press will struggle to have that story cut through.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758

kle4 said:

I suppose a technical case could be made that he was the first mixed-race leader of a political party (one of his great-grandparents was Japanese).
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

As mentioned the tabloid press and the Mail will certainly make sure their readers know about it as rightwingers on twitter are doing now, it reinforces the image of Corbyn that for swing voters they will be putting a red republican in No 10 if they vote Labour and that just adds to the hesitation they would have before putting their cross next to the Labour candidate in the privacy of the voting booth
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

It's pretty weaksauce, particularly if he tweets something out tomorrow or something. "Oh noes, evil Corbyn said congrats to Harry and Meghan a day late!". Maybe I don't know squat, but I think even the partisan press will struggle to have that story cut through.
    I agree, it will be long-forgotten by next week. I was just responding to your 'how will will they know' question.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

As mentioned the tabloid press and the Mail will certainly make sure their readers know about it as rightwingers on twitter are doing now, it reinforces the image of Corbyn that for swing voters they will be putting a red republican in No 10 if they vote Labour and that just adds to the hesitation they would have before putting their cross next to the Labour candidate in the privacy of the voting booth
    It won't directly change any votes. But it will raise doubts that may cost votes.

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

It won't directly change any votes. But it will raise doubts that may cost votes.
    Yes and Corbyn needs to change votes to win not raise more doubts in voters minds
    HYUFD said:

Freggles said:

Con gain Bootle

Not quite, though on this poll the Tories would gain Kensington, Dudley North, Newcastle Under Lyme, Crewe and Nantwich, Canterbury, Barrow and Furness, Keighley, Ashfield, Stroud, Bishop Auckland and Peterborough from Labour.
    http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative
    Though six of those MPs are likely to enjoy a first term incumbency bonus next time.
    https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/997980420355559424

Looks like as well as losing voters, UKIP is also losing spellers!
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Seriously - do you really think that many people will give a damn about something so obviously trivial? Why should he send them a tweet any more than to the many others who were married yesterday?
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Labour did not poll 42% in 2017!
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

41% then, still down 2%
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Seriously - do you really think that many people will give a damn about something so obviously trivial? Why should he send them a tweet any more than to the many others who were married yesterday?
    As he is a member of the royal family, 5th in line to be our future Head of State and Corbyn is Leader of the Opposition and the potential next PM. As I said republican leftwingers won't care but the monarchist majority in this country will
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

As he is a member of the royal family, 5th in line to be our future Head of State and Corbyn is Leader of the Opposition and the potential next PM. As I said republican leftwingers won't care but the monarchist majority in this country will
    99.99% will not give a damn! I don't think Harold Wilson sent a telegram to Princess Anne when she married Mark Phillips in November 1973. A much more significant % of the electorate appears to have serious doubts as to whether Harry is of royal blood at all - though on that matter I am not as persuaded as many clearly are!
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Because while about half of the UK electorate shares your indifference, a minority of the UK electorate care quite a lot about what happened yesterday. And quite a number of those will be seriously pissed off by what will be reported correctly as a Corbyn snub. He did find the time send a tweet of congratulations yesterday to someone in London, but it happened to be a Lewisham by-election candidate. When you are still 4% behind in the polls and seemingly going backwards some 8 years into a Conservative government, you really can't afford to piss anyone off unnecessarily.

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Because while about half of the UK electorate shares your indifference, a minority of the UK electorate care quite a lot about what happened yesterday. And quite a number of those will be seriously pissed off by what will be reported correctly as a Corbyn snub. He did find the time send a tweet of congratulations yesterday to someone in London, but it happened to be a Lewisham by-election candidate. When you are still 4% behind in the polls and seemingly going backwards some 8 years into a Conservative government, you really can't afford to piss anyone off unnecessarily.
    I would say that a good 95% share my indifference. Very few people tend to be really ardent Monarchists nowadays and we are talking here about the 'hangers on' - Harry is 6th in line to the throne on one view of his parentage. Party leaders have never been expected to send messages like that. Wilson didn't do it in 1973 - neither did Foot to Charles in 1981 - nor Kinnock to Andrew.The suggestion is a load of nonsense and will be forgotten a week hence.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

kle4 said:

I think better of him for it.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

So do I. It would have been gesture politics for him to have sent a message.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Up to a point, Lord Copper.

I know the Observer and OGH would like to present this as 'Vince Cable level pegging with Mrs May' - but Vince's levels of "Don't know" technically "neither approve nor disapprove" are twice the level of May & Corbyn's historically - this poll's data isn't up yet, but from April:

Approve/Disapprove/Neither

May: 35 / 43 / 22
    Corbyn: 29 / 48 / 23
    Cable: 16 / 34 / 50

Perhaps Vince's 'Neither Approve nor Disapprove' have shifted to 'approve' - better wait until we see the tables, but it feels a bit like there's some whistling in the dark going on here.
    AndyJS said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Cable was quite cheeky:

https://twitter.com/vincecable/status/997815099766247424
    edited May 2018
    Was only mentioned in passing yesterday - but the Straits Times picked up on this:

Singapore orchid on Meghan Markle's wedding veil featuring national flowers of Commonwealth countries

Malaysia's Bunga Raya Hibiscus, Bangladesh's White Water Lily and Pakistan's Jasmine also made it onto the long veil.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/singapore-orchid-on-meghan-markles-wedding-veil-featuring-national-flowers-of-commonwealth
    Its not only Britain where intellectuals (yes, Mr Grayling, I'm looking at you) have lost the plot over Brexit:

Europe, says Bernard-Henri Lévy, will collapse if Brexit goes ahead. “It will collapse because when the body is deprived of its brain and its heart, its spirit dies. Britain is not just an additional piece of the European Union, it is the brain.” I never expected to hear a Frenchman say that, certainly not a great French intellectual. But there’s more: “Brexit will be a much bigger catastrophe than most people expect or think, a catastrophe for Britain and a catastrophe for Europe. Europe is unthinkable without Great Britain. Everyone who reflects deeply about Europe knows that the UK is its beating heart.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bernard-henri-levys-brexit-lament-nkrnvwvss?shareToken=94474e76c504b0e9bafab4f68cfe580f
  • surbysurby Posts: 1,227

AndyJS said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Cable was quite cheeky:

He forgot to mention the Scottish FA Cup Final. Oooh ! The marginals.
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I would say that a good 95% share my indifference. Very few people tend to be really ardent Monarchists nowadays and we are talking here about the 'hangers on' - Harry is 6th in line to the throne on one view of his parentage. Party leaders have never been expected to send messages like that. Wilson didn't do it in 1973 - neither did Foot to Charles in 1981 - nor Kinnock to Andrew.The suggestion is a load of nonsense and will be forgotten a week hence.
    If Corbyn had sent a message, that would have the talking point for a month. The word "hypocrite" would have been used.

All ardent monarchist [ to those to whom this matters ] do not vote Labour.
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Your invitation to the Tower is in the post. 6th in line.
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

99.99% will not give a damn! I don't think Harold Wilson sent a telegram to Princess Anne when she married Mark Phillips in November 1973. A much more significant % of the electorate appears to have serious doubts as to whether Harry is of royal blood at all - though on that matter I am not as persuaded as many clearly are!
    In which case, my admiration, if any, has actually gone up !
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

41% then, still down 2%
    Actually 40%.
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    I would have thought that BAME people themselves were best entrusted with unlocking their own talent. What a paternalistic, nanny-state (ok, mixing imagery a bit there) approach. Is that really how Labour thinks racial discrimination is to be overcome - by old bearded white guys claiming the sole power to ethnic success?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

AndyJS said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Cable was quite cheeky:

Undortunately the BBC only chose to televise two of them.
    "An Opinium poll for the Observer also suggests a shift towards support for staying in the single market. In January 2017, 41% wanted to end free movement – and were prepared to leave the single market to do so. Only 32% wanted to stay in the single market, even if it meant keeping free movement rules. This month, however, 40% wanted to prioritise staying in the single market, while only 34% wanted to prioritise ending free movement. The poll also gives the Tories their biggest lead since the general election. They are up three points on 43%, four ahead of Labour."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/19/top-tory-plans-rebellion-to-stay-in-eu-customs-union
    A reminder of the last speaker defenestration:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1184561/It-like-Mafia-funeral-pudgy-omerta-boys-sidling-squeeze-wrists-whisper-brief-words-respect.html

What ever Bercow's faults, he was an improvement on Martin - but still Boothroyde best in a long while.....saw her on a number 82 bus once.....
This discussion has been closed.