Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Esther McVey’s betting problem is why I’m taking the 20/1 on h

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited May 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Esther McVey’s betting problem is why I’m taking the 20/1 on her as next out of the cabinet

With news of Esther McVey's betting problem you might want to take the 20/1 @LadPolitics are offering on McVey as next out of the cabinet. https://t.co/Dzuo01GnLQ pic.twitter.com/8aXBnOqpC7

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Esther McVey should be investigated for spot fixing.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2018
    The thought that a Cabinet member can be bought with a £270 trip to Cheltenham? Surely she isn't that cheap?

Perhaps she used it as a chance to meet her constituents - as its big amongst those of Irish origin of which there are large numbers in Merseyside.

Compared to the donations the Tory party has reputedly got in the past from companies who have since benefitted massively from the help to buy scheme to the tune of tens of millions on the other hand...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2035836/Tory-party-given-3-3-million-donations-property-developers.html
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    If William Hill *didn't* take advantage of the opportunity to lobby her then they should certainly sack their management!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Second favourite to be first out of the Cabinet is Theresa May.
  • Options
    On-topic, everyone knows McVey's partner is MP for the satchel-swingers and it is hard to see this as more than a technical offence to be fixed with an apology.

Unless, of course, the Prime Minister has been looking for an excuse to get shot of McVey but its not as if she poses any threat in the leadership stakes.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    Anyone know why Gerard Batten and his fellow Kippers are focussing on Sajid Javid and not say David Gauke who is responsible for the justice and prison system?

https://twitter.com/GerardBattenMEP/status/1000722509518528512
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    As well as Esther McVey being under potential investigation for breach of the ministerial code so Jeremy Hunt is also currently under investigation by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards with that report due not too far in the distant future

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/13/jeremy-hunt-referred-to-parliamentary-standards-over-luxury-flats-error
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Anyone know why Gerard Batten and his fellow Kippers are focussing on Sajid Javid and not say David Gauke who is responsible for the justice and prison system?

https://twitter.com/GerardBattenMEP/status/1000722509518528512

Probably because Gauke is a complete no mark in all honesty.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    On the thread: I don't think it'll happen but I've put a fiver on given Eagles' recent sterling form in this sort of market.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

As well as Esther McVey being under potential investigation for breach of the ministerial code so Jeremy Hunt is also currently under investigation by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards with that report due not too far in the distant future

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/13/jeremy-hunt-referred-to-parliamentary-standards-over-luxury-flats-error

Well remembered. And May did want to shift Hunt, so he could be the more vulnerable of the two -- depending what is found.

What is more pertinent is that Labour, despite what some of the critics say, is doing what Oppositions are supposed to do in referring these cases, or at least Jon Trickett is. I'd have been interested in his price to succeed Corbyn but he is old enough to have campaigned for No in the 1975 referendum on Europe.
  • Options
    McVey cut to 16/1 by Ladbrokes.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well remembered. And May did want to shift Hunt, so he could be the more vulnerable of the two -- depending what is found.

What is more pertinent is that Labour, despite what some of the critics say, is doing what Oppositions are supposed to do in referring these cases, or at least Jon Trickett is. I'd have been interested in his price to succeed Corbyn but he is old enough to have campaigned for No in the 1975 referendum on Europe.
    Yes, I expect the Hunt report to arrive before the McVey report and it would give May the chance to sack Hunt after he refused to move last time if he is found in breach

Trickery could be a long term bet yes
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Does anyone seriously think this rabble will ever be a real electoral threat again (other than HYUFD)?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    No safety car. Ker-ching!!

I think @Morris_Dancer is going to want to kill me!
  • Options

Does anyone seriously think this rabble will ever be a real electoral threat again (other than HYUFD)?
    I don't really, that was only if May kept us fully in the single market and customs union and with freedom of movement
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Would love to see Riccardo in the second seat at Mercedes. Bottas is a waste of that competitive seat.
  • Options
    Indigo1Indigo1 Posts: 47

If there is an electoral space, someone will fill it. If there is a BINO, as seems likely, the Tories will be too bad an odor to play for the kipper inclined vote for several years until there has been a thorough purge at the top.

To that 15% plus however many centre-right Tories can't stand the current party after this shambles is going to be too tempting for someone not to make a serious play for, and most of those voters are going to be too angry to sit on their hands at home.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Hmmm posters on PB accusing a Cabinet minister of having a "betting problem" ad on that basis, er, betting on it....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good afternoon, everyone.

*unsheathes sword*

Where is Mr. Sandpit?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,975

*ever* is rather loaded. UKIP were a bunch of malcontents with various grievances, who congregated around the issue of the EU and placed much of their hatred of the modern world onto the EU (wrongly IMO).

Hence why we saw such stupidity as people decrying breastfeeding in public on here.

The problem with people with grievances is that they develop a taste for complaining. Give them a year or two and they'll slither out of the woodwork and congeal around another grievance - whether it's Brexit isn't Brexit enough, or women are acting a little uppity nowadays.

The real sh*ts are those who cynically used the stupid to win a vote on the EU, funding them and supporting them, and who now decry all UKIP's other policies.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

twitter.com/GerardBattenMEP/status/1000722509518528512

Possibly because he hasn't been arrested for contempt of court, which would be a Justice matter, but breach of the peace, which would be a police decision and therefore Home Office?

Seems rather dumb however to suggest that the Home Secretary personally is responsible for it.
  • Options
    On a more serious note, congratulations to Mr. Sandpit, even though my own misjudgement is somewhat irksome. The bet I made has yet to be settled so I'm waiting to see which way it goes.

Quite an odd race.
  • Options

*unsheathes sword*

Where is Mr. Sandpit?

I congratulate anyone who had taken the bet that Verstappen would finish the race - don't know what they were but they must have been astronomical!
  • Options

*ever* is rather loaded. UKIP were a bunch of malcontents with various grievances, who congregated around the issue of the EU and placed much of their hatred of the modern world onto the EU (wrongly IMO).

Hence why we saw such stupidity as people decrying breastfeeding in public on here.

The problem with people with grievances is that they develop a taste for complaining. Give them a year or two and they'll slither out of the woodwork and congeal around another grievance - whether it's Brexit isn't Brexit enough, or women are acting a little uppity nowadays.

The real sh*ts are those who cynically used the stupid to win a vote on the EU, funding them and supporting them, and who now decry all UKIP's other policies.
    They were the party of populist protest and anti-EU.

Now Brexit is happening and Corbyn has emerged, the markets in both have collapsed.
  • Options

*unsheathes sword*

Where is Mr. Sandpit?

(waves)

(sprays champagne)

3,500 miles away!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Sandpit said:

*unsheathes sword*

Where is Mr. Sandpit?

(waves)

(sprays champagne)

3,500 miles away!
    *Rosewater
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I'm curious: what do you suppose the range of a cannon capable of launching men (or a fine pink mist that was formerly men) into space is?
  • Options

On a more serious note, congratulations to Mr. Sandpit, even though my own misjudgement is somewhat irksome. The bet I made has yet to be settled so I'm waiting to see which way it goes.

Quite an odd race.

As I did say a couple of days ago, I was sure there would be one (there’s been one at every event this year, and every Monaco GP this decade) but couldn’t bear to be on the other side of the bet the day it did come off.

I honestly thought Charles Leclerc’s broken brakes were going to be this year’s Jenson Button, but thankfully the VSC was enough to clear the mess away.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, yeah. My own fault, but given how much bad luck I've had this year... anyway, glad it worked out. Leclerc showed quick thinking to try and minimise the damage.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    I think this is really serious for McVey. If she really LED the cabinet revolt against gambling reforms and didn't declare that she had been a guest of William Hill for a day at Cheltenham, then she is in trouble - or should be.

It doesn't matter that the amount was relatively small compared with the sums spent on lobbying (£270 each declared). For her personally, it was no doubt a big treat and William Hill will not have wasted the opportunity of personally lobbying her. She will also have felt a little indebted to them.

If she had declared it, then it would have been transparent and her leadership of the cabinet revolt would have been seen in that context and she wouldn't be in trouble.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, yeah. My own fault, but given how much bad luck I've had this year... anyway, glad it worked out. Leclerc showed quick thinking to try and minimise the damage.

Yes, skilful driving by Leclerc in an unavoidable crash. Shame for Hartley, though.

That was a really boring F1 race. I'm spitting feathers that I'll miss watching better races live whilst sitting through the Monaco drudgery.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, aye. Even worse is when people wibble about the heritage. Aye, great. But I'm here for a race. A race track which is slow and almost impossible to pass on is, by definition, rubbish.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Barnesian said:

I think this is really serious for McVey. If she really LED the cabinet revolt against gambling reforms and didn't declare that she had been a guest of William Hill for a day at Cheltenham, then she is in trouble - or should be.

It doesn't matter that the amount was relatively small compared with the sums spent on lobbying (£270 each declared). For her personally, it was no doubt a big treat and William Hill will not have wasted the opportunity of personally lobbying her. She will also have felt a little indebted to them.

If she had declared it, then it would have been transparent and her leadership of the cabinet revolt would have been seen in that context and she wouldn't be in trouble.

Theresa May has lost three four cabinet ministers to scandal and one to resignation in the last six (and a bit) months.

I doubt if she will lose another unless she's forced to, particularly given McVey really gets up the nose of the Labour Party and is in particular a constant running sore for Macdonnell, who infamously called for her to be murdered.

That's not to say she should stay, merely that if this is the extent of the scandal I think she probably will.

Edited because I had forgotten about Damian Green.
  • Options
    F1: the bet I tipped, which had the top three places as winning when I made it (Raikkonen being third), later reduced to two, has not paid out as it should've.

• Options

F1: the bet I tipped, which had the top three places as winning when I made it (Raikkonen being third), later reduced to two, has not paid out as it should've.

I read the three places as meaning a podium finish, rather than three places behind the winner down to 4th. Good luck with your complaint though.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, the market was Winner Without Ricciardo.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

A race track which is slow and almost impossible to pass on is, by definition, rubbish.

I think you need to have a word with Max Verstappen about that.
  • Options
    Mr. rpjs, his car was miles faster than most of those he passed and he barely got into the points.
  • Options
    F1: post-race ramble up here (almost entirely written before fate shoved a half-starved weasel down my codpiece, so it's surprisingly light on moaning):
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/monaco-post-race-analysis-2018.html
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Yes, skilful driving by Leclerc in an unavoidable crash. Shame for Hartley, though.

That was a really boring F1 race. I'm spitting feathers that I'll miss watching better races live whilst sitting through the Monaco drudgery.
    It was indeed a boring race, made better only by a big winning bet. Somewhat counterintuitively, if Ricciardo hadn’t has his MGU-K problem the faster pace could have necessitated a two-stop strategy, which would have played into Bottas’ hands.

Leclerc and Hartley were very lucky, that accident could have been a whole lot worse. It must be seriously scary to have the brake pedal go straight to the floor in an F1 car, the young Monagesque did well to use the barrier as a brake before the inevitable impact with the back of the Toro Rosso.
  • Options

Mr. rpjs, his car was miles faster than most of those he passed and he barely got into the points.

But it still had all four wheels on it. Result!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Local activist in Pidcock's seat, after CLP chief vote went against Momentum:

“It’s the classic Corbynite mix of authoritarianism and incompetence. God help up if these people actually got into power, it’d be like the Stasi staffed by Mrs Brown’s Boys”

https://www.theredroar.com/2018/05/pidcock-up-corbyn-ally-fails-to-fix-local-party-election/
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

F1: post-race ramble up here (almost entirely written before fate shoved a half-starved weasel down my codpiece, so it's surprisingly light on moaning):
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/monaco-post-race-analysis-2018.html

They say that the Monaco Grand Prix is glamorous but in reality it's just as full of fat people with tattoos as you see at most English football matches. In fact it's Monaco at its least glamorous despite many of the people having paid 1200 euros for their seats.
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, as a rule, F1 tickets seem horrendously over-priced.
  • Options

“It’s the classic Corbynite mix of authoritarianism and incompetence. God help up if these people actually got into power, it’d be like the Stasi staffed by Mrs Brown’s Boys”

https://www.theredroar.com/2018/05/pidcock-up-corbyn-ally-fails-to-fix-local-party-election/

It's fair to say I'm not Pidcock's greatest fan but I think calling her a 'carpetbagger' is more than a bit unfair. She's fairly solidly rooted in the area even if she's a rotten parliamentary representative.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    ydoethur said:

It's fair to say I'm not Pidcock's greatest fan but I think calling her a 'carpetbagger' is more than a bit unfair. She's fairly solidly rooted in the area even if she's a rotten parliamentary representative.
    Yes, I did wonder about that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

A race track which is slow and almost impossible to pass on is, by definition, rubbish.

Oh, but the glamour, Mr. Dancer - think of the glamour.....

If F1 wre starting from scratch today, Monaco wouldn't get within the top 100 candidates.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It was indeed a boring race, made better only by a big winning bet. Somewhat counterintuitively, if Ricciardo hadn’t has his MGU-K problem the faster pace could have necessitated a two-stop strategy, which would have played into Bottas’ hands.

Leclerc and Hartley were very lucky, that accident could have been a whole lot worse. It must be seriously scary to have the brake pedal go straight to the floor in an F1 car, the young Monagesque did well to use the barrier as a brake before the inevitable impact with the back of the Toro Rosso.
    The problems of an out-of-control crash there was seen seven years ago:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOM5SzxEFGU

Perez's crash still makes me shudder.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    Roger said:

They say that the Monaco Grand Prix is glamorous but in reality it's just as full of fat people with tattoos as you see at most English football matches. In fact it's Monaco at its least glamorous despite many of the people having paid 1200 euros for their seats.
    I don't understand the appeal of Monaco. It's a concrete jungle.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yes, I did wonder about that.
    There are lots of politicians you could quite legitimately call carpetbaggers in every party. In a very small area, you have Mary Creagh, Yvette Cooper and Ed Miliband. For the Tories, we could mention Boris, Fox, Rees-Mogg perhaps (who travelled the country like a royal messenger before settling near his second home).

But I wouldn't say Pidcock should be on that list.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

It’s expensive. For some people that’s enough.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Contacts. If you're the sort of pond scum person who likes to be surrounded by the great and the good, who likes to go to the same parties as them and to grease palms, it's the perfect place to go. At least if you can afford it...
  • Options
    Mr. F, quite.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Roger said:

The Monaco Grand Prix is a bit like Ascot or centre court at Wimbledon, it used to be only filled with royalty, aristocracy and old money with a few film stars added to the mix, now anyone with the cash can turn up. More meritocratic certainly but don't expect the same chic or dress code.

The MCC and maybe St Andrews or the Augusta National are some of the last sporting bastions holding out admission to only 'a certain class of people' left
  • Options
    edited May 2018
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The problems of an out-of-control crash there was seen seven years ago:
    ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOM5SzxEFGU

Perez's crash still makes me shudder.
    There’s been a few there over the years, Perez was very lucky, as was Jenson Button a few years ago before they upgraded the barriers to the softer plastic ones in use now.

ttps://youtube.com/watch?v=gNElKRoY3pc

Thankfully the design of F1 cars, barriers and medical facilities are fantastic, drivers now walk away from accidents that would have been fatal a few decades ago.

When watching F1 cars up close, the most astonishing thing that really sticks in the mind is the way they brake, they pull 5g (49m/s^2) as they can slow from 320km/h to 100km/h in less than 100m.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Contacts. If you're the sort of pond scum person who likes to be surrounded by the great and the good, who likes to go to the same parties as them and to grease palms, it's the perfect place to go. At least if you can afford it...
    The "great and the good" don't go anywhere near Monaco

As Somerset Maughan noted, it's "a sunny place for shady people"

• Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    The free tommy Robinson petition is now up to 255,000. The target of 300,000 will be exceeded tonight easily. This appears to be a monumental self inflicted mess by the Government. This is also a story that has the potential to get out of hand. TM has no option but to quickly find a way to get him out of prison or risk giving UKIP a reason to exist again.
  • Options
    Mr. Ace, it's certainly a masterclass in creating a secular martyr.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

A concrete jungle with no income tax, hence its popularity with touring sportsmen who can base themselves anywhere.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,067
    Roger said:

I thought that Monaco was the centre of the European culture you were praising earlier ?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

The free tommy Robinson petition is now up to 255,000. The target of 300,000 will be exceeded tonight easily. This appears to be a monumental self inflicted mess by the Government. This is also a story that has the potential to get out of hand. TM has no option but to quickly find a way to get him out of prison or risk giving UKIP a reason to exist again.

I think ex UKIP leadership candidate Anne Marie Waters 'For Britain' Party now really represents the Tommy Robinson point of view and he has backed it and its platform of "reducing Muslim immigration to the UK to near zero, and to "bring the entire EU project down".

I believe Morrissey has also endorsed the party. It fielded 15 candidates in the local elections in May but none were elected.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Britain

• Options
    Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

I forget you speak for all the 'great and the good'. ;)
  • Options

UKIP’s reason to exist being to support racist provocateurs going round collapsing trials? Laughable.
  • Options

Genuine question;

If 300,000 people petitioned to have the trial in question stopped, on the basis that this has made it impossible for it to be fair, would you support that as well? Bearing in mind that is already what the defence have tried (unsuccessfully) to argue.
  • Options

Why would the government want to get him out of prison? He was in contempt of court, while serving a suspended sentence for a similar offence, and his actions could yet let serious sexual offenders walk free.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Exactly what Theresa May should not do.
    As an aside, from the footage it looks like the police have behaved extremely well in the face of lots of provocation from protesters...
  • Options
    F1: sent a query to Ladbrokes. We shall see how it goes.
  • Options

The government probably had nothing to do with it - it was probably the criminal justice system working.

TM should ensure the due process of law was followed and, if it was, stick to her guns against the rabble. If it was not, then he should be released and there should be an explanation from the Chief Constable of the relevant force and any judges involved, if any.

And if UKIP use Robinson as a basis for their revival, they'll just be confirming Cameron's adage about them. Not that it needed much confirmation.

Someone once said something on here that, IMO, is very wise: reporting of events relating to the law is very poor. Cases that might seem slam-dunk miscarriages or mistakes in the media might look very different if you were in court. This is more complex because of potential reporting restrictions, but consider that what is being spread on t'Internet is only one side of the story.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2018
    ydoethur said:

Genuine question;

If 300,000 people petitioned to have the trial in question stopped, on the basis that this has made it impossible for it to be fair, would you support that as well? Bearing in mind that is already what the defence have tried (unsuccessfully) to argue.
    On that logic any media outlet that broadcasts any rape trial and pictures or videos the accused could be accused of making a trial impossible to be fair.

Frankly in order for the West Yorkshire police to be bothered to arrest them based on their previous lack of activity the evidence must be pretty strong anyway!

Either way should one person be locked up for a year solely on the grounds that he might by filming accused child rapists have prejudiced their trial when local papers have already covered the case and named them anyway?

Of course the real victims here are the young children and teenagers who got abused and raped - allegedly of course!

Still government and the authorities locks up man to protect the rights of men charged with raping kids probably isn't a good look.
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    Sandpit said:

Why would the government want to get him out of prison? He was in contempt of court, while serving a suspended sentence for a similar offence, and his actions could yet let serious sexual offenders walk free.
    A simple discussion by the police to ask him to make sure that he does nothing to jeopardise the trial would have been appropriate. Putting him in prison is nuts. Maybe you are happy living in a racist country but I am not.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

ydoethur said:

Genuine question;

On that logic any media outlet that broadcasts any rape trial and pictures or videos the accused could be accused of making a trial impossible to be fair.

Frankly in order for the West Yorkshire police to be bothered to arrest them based on their previous lack of activity the evidence must be pretty strong anyway!

Either way should one person be locked for a year solely on the grounds that he might by filming accused child rapists or having put that trial at risk. Of course the real victims here are the young children and teenagers who got abused and raped - allegedly of course!
    So we are all singing from the same hymnbook, what do you think the 'facts' in this case are?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, on your latter points, this is where lack of public faith in institutions such as the police, politicians and the media really bites.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

ydoethur said:

Genuine question;

Either way should one person be locked up for a year solely on the grounds that he might by filming accused child rapists have prejudiced their trial when local papers have already covered the case and named them anyway?

Of course the real victims here are the young children and teenagers who got abused and raped - allegedly of course!
    Assuming that is what he was doing. It's what he claims he was doing but he's also a well known liar and fantasist.

Moreover, in this case there is no 'alleged' about his criminality - he has been convicted of the crimes and was given a suspended sentence. I think I am right in saying that if he commits any offence he can therefore be sent straight to prison instead of being bailed (that came in useful some years ago when a violent Muslim protestor over the Mohammed cartoons turned out to be a drug peddler out on licence).
  • Options

Sandpit said:

A simple discussion by the police to ask him to make sure that he does nothing to jeopardise the trial would have been appropriate. Putting him in prison is nuts. Maybe you are happy living in a racist country but I am not.
    He was already on suspended sentence!
  • Options

Are you seriously suggesting decisions of the court should be overruled by politicians?
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, on your latter points, this is where lack of public faith in institutions such as the police, politicians and the media really bites.

And it doesn't help when people automagically assume that there is something sinister going on right to the top of government.

Robinson is a nasty piece of work, bit he deserves the same due process from the law that an angel would. Sadly, it seems some on here and elsewhere are assuming he is an angel just because they hate the people he is campaigning against more.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Are you seriously suggesting decisions of the court should be overruled by politicians?
    And - on the basis of attempting to gain/maintain an electoral advantage!
  • Options
    "Chris Froome wins Giro d'Italia to claim historic Grand Tour treble"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44272406
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    On topic: If Esther falls by the wayside and with the Moggster saying that he doesn't want the leadership, can anyone suggest any other swivel-eyed loon for me to pretend to support?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

Sandpit said:

The problem is that none of us were there.

Was he filming and asked to stop by the judge?
    Did the judge warn him that failure to stop would result in him being found in contempt of court?

The facts are muddy. But let us not forget that the reason he went to jail was because he was on a suspended sentence.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

He was warned by a judge about jeopardising trials when he was convicted and sentenced for previous offences. Putting him in prison is completely right if he’s in contempt of court, for some reason judges take a dim view of those who ignore direct instructions.

Note that it wasn’t that he was filming, it’s that he was broadcasting the film that’s the offence - because there were reporting restrictions on the trial taking place.
  • Options

Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

I don’t. But I know where to find them

(Umbria or in the mountains between Nice and St Paul de Vence)
  • Options

On topic: If Esther falls by the wayside and with the Moggster saying that he doesn't want the leadership, can anyone suggest any other swivel-eyed loon for me to pretend to support?

I could imagine Priti Patel imagining she could do a much better job.
  • Options

Corbyn?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    ydoethur said:

Corbyn?
    Naughty!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Note that it wasn’t that he was filming, it’s that he was broadcasting the film that’s the offence - because there were reporting restrictions on the trial taking place.

What does slightly puzzle me is the reason given for the arrest. Contempt of court for breaching reporting restrictions makes absolute sense. Breach of the peace implies there was something else going on. If the latter case is true, Robinson might be facing further legal action.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Corbyn?
    Naughty!
    Absolutely :tongue:
  • Options

I can't find updated figures since 2015 - but this research shows strong levels of trust in the civil service, judges, BBC/ITV journalists and the police.

Perhaps unsurprisingly politicians fare poorly.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/public-trust-public-servants-–-six-graphs

Personally I don't think there is a lack of public faith generally, but there is among specific communities/sections of society.

(as an aside - I think the difference between TV newsreaders and journalists generally is fascinating)
  • Options
    Mr. rkrkrk, indeed. It's mildly amusing that the monarchy, the least directly accountable institution of them all, is so popular.

Anyway, I'm off. Play nicely, everyone.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

What does slightly puzzle me is the reason given for the arrest. Contempt of court for breaching reporting restrictions makes absolute sense. Breach of the peace implies there was something else going on. If the latter case is true, Robinson might be facing further legal action.
    It could be that the breach of the peace was to disobey a policeman who told him to stop filming or something similar, then it was later noted that he was on licence for the previous offences. I guess we’ll find out after the trial he was protesting has concluded, and the reporting restrictions are all lifted.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

I don’t. But I know where to find them

(Umbria or in the mountains between Nice and St Paul de Vence)
    I fear your definition of 'great and good' is very different from mine ...
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    ydoethur said:
    Liverpool FC are a Catholic Club whilst Everton are a protestant club.

Man U are catholic and Man City protestant.

Celtic catholic, Rangers protestant

Any others?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

Hmmm posters on PB accusing a Cabinet minister of having a "betting problem" ad on that basis, er, betting on it....

One can only hope that Hills open a market...
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Williamson has got General Jack D Ripper tendencies:

https://twitter.com/britain_decides/status/999938118064263168?s=19

https://youtu.be/N1KvgtEnABY
  • Options
    PurplePurple Posts: 150
    edited May 2018
    On the specific issue, Esther McVey may say that when her partner takes her to an event she doesn't ask where he got the tickets. And he declared them. There may be more here - much more. If she didn't have influential friends her losing a Commons seat would have been much more of a setback and she wouldn't have been parachuted into a safe one at that stage in her career.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Isn't Davies one of the Tories' moronic filibusterers?
  • Options
    Charles said:

On the basis of a Twitter petition, no less.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Purple said:

On the specific issue, Esther McVey may say that when her partner takes her to an event she doesn't ask where he got the tickets. And he declared them. There may be more here - much more. If she didn't have influential friends her losing a Commons seat would have been much more of a setback and she wouldn't have been parachuted into a safe one at that stage in her career.

Well indeed if he's declared 2 then the tickets have been declared. Unless 3+ people went what is there for her to declare?

Maybe the guidance on who declares what in a couple needs to be clarified but this seems much ado about nothing.
This discussion has been closed.