Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s a Sheffield rally style hubris around Jeremy Corbyn an

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited May 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s a Sheffield rally style hubris around Jeremy Corbyn and Labour should be afraid

Picture: From Saturday’s Times

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    He seems to be believing his own hype. As you say, risky.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Someone does. I doubt Jez himself would know a Fest from a week's glamping in a muddy field.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,243
    Amazing report on R4 exonerating RBKC Council over Grenfell. Not expecting it to find its way onto the Graun front page.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    FPT: https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1001544543546769409

On-topic: this could be a good thing for Labour. Better to find this out now than six minutes before the polls close.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    FPT
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Two key questions on this story:

1) why the f*** has it taken this long?

2) any chance it could be made retrospective?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44294566

Are nearly all nuisance calls not from abroad? We have number recognition on the house phone and stopped answering international calls years ago.

It will be a relief when PPI finally becomes time barred later this year.

My wife was also commenting that the effect of the great GDPR fiasco seems to be considerably less than was hoped. She is still receiving significant numbers of spam emails from companies she has never dealt with, never signed up to and who should not have her address on their data banks. No doubt the Information Commissioner will spring into action any decade.
    Most of mine are domestic (from London) and to my mobile. Admittedly I think Aviva have flogged my data somewhere but that's a different problem.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    Is Jezfest before or after Lewisham
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Jezfest? lol
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    Pulpstar said:

Is Jezfest before or after Lewisham

Two days after Lewisham.
  • Options
    Regarding this thread, surely the finest example of political hubris in this country was May herself in 2017?

Corbyn is beginning to resemble Thatcher in the late 80s though.
  • Options
    Also FPT:

ydoethur said:

Italy is shaping up to be a truly grave crisis, that will make Brexit look like a picnic.

We will be caught in the resulting chaos, whether we are still in or out.

If the Euro goes, the chaos will be planet wide, never mind Europe wide.
    Most of us will not have seen a financial disaster like it in our lifetimes.

And AfD will be running Germany.

History doesn't repeat, but sometimes rhymes etc etc
    I admire your optimism Mr Borough. I think it would be the greatest crash of all time, by a distance.

That is also why I think when last comes to last a way forward will be found, but it may be at an unsupportable cost to the EU itself.

Never have I felt more the truth of John Wyndham's caustic observations:

'They created vast problems, and buried their heads in the sands of idle faith...there are times when one wonders why God thought it necessary to invent the ostrich.'
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    If there’s going to be a million pound loss, they’re going to be better off cancelling it now and avoiding a lot of the staging costs. Unless of course it was going to be staffed by Union labour, who will ask to be paid anyway.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Italian crisis means Merkel cant advance with plans to deepen Europe as German electorate wont accept underwriting unstable partners

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article176799738/Italien-Bundesregierung-verhaelt-sich-ruhig-Parteien-zunehmend-besorgt.html

have the Italians just put the brakes on the project ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129

FPT

When @Hunchman starts quoting Armstrong overnight as evidence that the Euro is about to collapse we can surely all see that the talk about a Euro crisis is being seriously overblown. What we have seen so far is modest increases in the spread for Italian bonds. We have also seen substantial capital flows out of Italy and some other southern European countries to "safe havens" in northern Europe. So far the ECB has been willing to replace that capital by allowing banks to draw sufficient Euros to trade normally.

To get to a crisis point it seems to me that several things have to happen.

Firstly, the populists whose Finance Minister was rejected are going to have to do better in another election that won't be held until September at the earliest. That seems possible, even probable but it is not certain.

Secondly, that government when elected has to threaten to default on the country's debts to the ECB. That would be an incredibly stupid thing to do given the power the ECB has over the Italian banking system.

Alternatively, they may conclude that they should simply leave the Euro. See above with brass knobs on.

Alternatively, the ECB may decide/be forced by Germany into either winding down or at least capping the Target2 imbalances. This would effectively cause liquidity shortages in Italy and elsewhere causing a serious recession. It would also be an incredibly stupid thing to do and inconsistent with the existence of a single currency bloc.

No doubt there are other scenarios or stupidities that could cause a crisis but they are all ever more unlikely. What I think is clear that even in a worst case scenario this is a story which will evolve slowly over a period of months, not days. Although I am a Eurosceptic and a leaver I don't think it is sensible to anticipate people acting like idiots or gloat over some hypothetical crisis which might seriously damage our largest trading links. There are real problems caused by Italy's lack of growth and very high debt. The lack of the former is making the latter ever harder to bear. But we are a very long way from Armageddon.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    FPT

Italy is shaping up to be a truly grave crisis, that will make Brexit look like a picnic.

The problem Italy has is that while 'a referendum on Euro membership' carries democratic legitimacy, it carries enormous risks to the economy. The problem is that during the campaign, you are likely to see every Italian individual and firm attempt to liquidate all Euro bank accounts and to max out every credit line. This looks very like - because it is - a bank run.

And the Bank of Italy can't prop up banks, without recourse to the ECB. So, the likely consequence of doing it right is a collapse of the Italian banking system half way through. Now, that might be a price worth paying, if - on the other side - Italy is free to pursue a sensible economic strategy.

However, there are two things that make this particularly hazardous for Italy.

Firstly, if you have a contract with an Italian company (and you are not Italian), then it will not be governed by Italian law. And this isn't because Italians are venal, but because their legal system is incredibly tortuous. Good luck even ending up in court in 18 months. So, for British, German, Spanish, etc. companies doing business with Italian ones, they all (or 99.9%) use the legal system of the other country. This means that an Italian law converting all contracts to the Legal Italian Resurrection Asset (L.I.R.A.) will not reduce firms overseas liabilities. Indeed, in a 25% devaluation world (and I suspect the real number would be nearer 40%), you would see the foreign liabilities of Italian firms jump by a fifth.

Secondly, investors don't seem particularly keen to give M5S in particular, and (to a lesser extent) LN a chance. The best way to leave the Euro is with a sensible economic policy, based upon fiscal rectitude and liberalising Italy's scloretic labour market. It also requires a recognition that Italy has endemic corruption and the worst demographics in Western Europe (and only a hairs breath better than Japan's). Neither of the two populist parties is willing to recognise that a large portion of Italy's problems are its own.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

FPT

The problem Italy has is that while 'a referendum on Euro membership' carries democratic legitimacy, it carries enormous risks to the economy. The problem is that during the campaign, you are likely to see every Italian individual and firm attempt to liquidate all Euro bank accounts and to max out every credit line. This looks very like - because it is - a bank run.

And the Bank of Italy can't prop up banks, without recourse to the ECB. So, the likely consequence of doing it right is a collapse of the Italian banking system half way through. Now, that might be a price worth paying, if - on the other side - Italy is free to pursue a sensible economic strategy.

Firstly, if you have a contract with an Italian company (and you are not Italian), then it will not be governed by Italian law. And this isn't because Italians are venal, but because their legal system is incredibly tortuous. Good luck even ending up in court in 18 months. So, for British, German, Spanish, etc. companies doing business with Italian ones, they all (or 99.9%) use the legal system of the other country. This means that an Italian law converting all contracts to the Legal Italian Resurrection Asset (L.I.R.A.) will not reduce firms overseas liabilities. Indeed, in a 25% devaluation world (and I suspect the real number would be nearer 40%), you would see the foreign liabilities of Italian firms jump by a fifth.

Secondly, investors don't seem particularly keen to give M5S in particular, and (to a lesser extent) LN a chance. The best way to leave the Euro is with a sensible economic policy, based upon fiscal rectitude and liberalising Italy's scloretic labour market. It also requires a recognition that Italy has endemic corruption and the worst demographics in Western Europe (and only a hairs breath better than Japan's). Neither of the two populist parties is willing to recognise that a large portion of Italy's problems are its own.
    Yep. Very like Scottish independence. The only way that works is if our politicians stop damaging the economy with pointless uncertainty and focus on the day job of significantly increasing the tax base by expanding the private sector to the point where the deficit closes and Scotland as an independent country is a viable unit. Italy would have serious work to do before it left the Euro.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FPT

When @Hunchman starts quoting Armstrong overnight as evidence that the Euro is about to collapse we can surely all see that the talk about a Euro crisis is being seriously overblown. What we have seen so far is modest increases in the spread for Italian bonds. We have also seen substantial capital flows out of Italy and some other southern European countries to "safe havens" in northern Europe. So far the ECB has been willing to replace that capital by allowing banks to draw sufficient Euros to trade normally.

Firstly, the populists whose Finance Minister was rejected are going to have to do better in another election that won't be held until September at the earliest. That seems possible, even probable but it is not certain.

While I do of course agree with you about our premier conspiracy theorist (with Crosby andPlato banned and Wisemann seemingly having buggered off to spend more time with his mouth ulcers) I'm not sure your timetable is quite correct:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/29/italian-voters-brace-for-euro-showdown-ahead-of-snap-elections.html

If there is a new Italian government in August while most politicians and financiers are on holiday, the potential for things to spiral out of control quickly is there.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

FPT

While I do of course agree with you about our premier conspiracy theorist (with Crosby andPlato banned and Wisemann seemingly having buggered off to spend more time with his mouth ulcers) I'm not sure your timetable is quite correct:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/29/italian-voters-brace-for-euro-showdown-ahead-of-snap-elections.html

If there is a new Italian government in August while most politicians and financiers are on holiday, the potential for things to spiral out of control quickly is there.
    The pieces I have read indicated that having an election before August (when all good Italians are apparently on holiday) is just too tight. But we shall see.
  • Options
    I still don't get how millennials go all dippy about a man who went on Iran's propaganda television station while people were being hanged from cranes in the public square for being gay and didn't say a word about it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

FPT

That of course is the ( correct ) moneyman's view. However if you've had 10-15 years of no pay rises and you haven't got a lot of money to start with you might not see much downside and the attractive upside of those corrupt rich sods who created the problem getting a kicking might make it me ne frego time.

Does the frog stay in the water and cook or does it jump ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Very like Scottish independence. The only way that works is if our politicians stop damaging the economy with pointless uncertainty and focus on the day job of significantly increasing the tax base by expanding the private sector to the point where the deficit closes and Scotland as an independent country is a viable unit. Italy would have serious work to do before it left the Euro.

Yes, but as we saw with Brexit (and indeed in Scotland although the vote was narrowly lost) what's economically sensible and what people actually vote for are often two different things.

Would it be economic suicide for Italy to leave the euro in its present state? Of course. Do the majority of Italians feel that would be a price worth paying given the dreadful damage the Euro has already done? That's the unknowable part.
  • Options

I still don't get how millennials go all dippy about a man who went on Iran's propaganda television station while people were being hanged from cranes in the public square for being gay and didn't say a word about it.

I misread that as 'millionaires,' which caused me some confusion. Clearly I need my breakfast.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,521
    As an occassional festival goer (usually Lattitude), Labour Live has little appeal. The festival calender is too full at present, the lineup is poor, and this one happens as the World Cup commences.

Festivals not infrequently go broke, and are not for the inexperienced to arrange! better to sponser a stage at one of the established festivals with a sympathetic audience.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,521
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Very like Scottish independence. The only way that works is if our politicians stop damaging the economy with pointless uncertainty and focus on the day job of significantly increasing the tax base by expanding the private sector to the point where the deficit closes and Scotland as an independent country is a viable unit. Italy would have serious work to do before it left the Euro.

Yes, but as we saw with Brexit (and indeed in Scotland although the vote was narrowly lost) what's economically sensible and what people actually vote for are often two different things.

Would it be economic suicide for Italy to leave the euro in its present state? Of course. Do the majority of Italians feel that would be a price worth paying given the dreadful damage the Euro has already done? That's the unknowable part.
    The Italian voters suffer from the same sort of #Cakeism as our own. They want the positives and not so keen on the negatives. In both countries politicians have colluded with this.

Indeed, has either the League or 5SM actually expressed a desire to quit the Euro in recent times, rather than merely tried to re-order it?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Well, there are three ways to leave the Euro. ("She said it grieves me so, to see you in such pain, there must be something I can do...")

1. Fast.

Just get it done. Don't tell anyone and then attempt to do it over a week of bank holidays.

The problem with this is that people who didn't know you would do it feel very aggrieved. Old people and those on fixed incomes feel they have been particularly screwed. (And there are a lot of old people in Italy.)

Also, what happens if you haven't managed to get IT and accounting systems at Italy's 800,000 or so firms sorted after a week? What currency will people be pulling out of banks (if they are allowed to at all)? Can you provide food for those who don't have enough physical cash? And how do you deal with bank redomination and firms (and individuals) with Euro exposure to non-Italians?

2. Slow.

Allows time for planning. Allows it to be a democratic decision. Unfortunately, results in the destruction of the entire banking sector in the 48 hours following the announcement.

3. A Parallel Currency.

Everyone loves this idea. But it's stupid.

Imagine that the Italian government created a parallel currency called the Lira. It then announced that all civil servants would be paid in Lira. The Lira - of course - devalues 25% against the Euro. But all those civil servants still have Euro rent. They would regard it (correctly) as a 25% pay cut.

Who would accept payment in Lira, over Euros?

Italy has found themselves in a very difficult hole. The issue they have is this: if they want to escape the Euro, they need to implement sensible policies first. But those policies are the exact opposite - labour market liberalisation, for example - of what is demanded by their supporters.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,961
    ydoethur said:

FPT

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Are nearly all nuisance calls not from abroad? We have number recognition on the house phone and stopped answering international calls years ago.

My wife was also commenting that the effect of the great GDPR fiasco seems to be considerably less than was hoped. She is still receiving significant numbers of spam emails from companies she has never dealt with, never signed up to and who should not have her address on their data banks. No doubt the Information Commissioner will spring into action any decade.
    Most of mine are domestic (from London) and to my mobile. Admittedly I think Aviva have flogged my data somewhere but that's a different problem.
    All my numerous ppi calls are from Wales or England. Even I would hesitate to call that 'abroad'.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Indeed, has either the League or 5SM actually expressed a desire to quit the Euro in recent times, rather than merely tried to re-order it?

That was, apparently, what the Italian President objected to.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

the irony being he wanted to stop a financial crisis and promptly kicked one off
  • Options
    Incidentally, due to channel-hopping I saw all the BBC and most of ITV's reports on the Liege attack (at ten). The BBC managed to omit that the man shouted "Allahu Akbar" or "(included by ITV) was thought to have come under the influence of Islamism.

No mention of Islam, him being Muslim, or the cry made it onto the news, despite being known. The term used was 'radicalism'. That kind of wilful omission why people like Tommy Robinson here and Geert Wilders in the Netherlands have a willing audience.

It's quite incredible. Imagine a story from the 80s or 90s about Irish terrorism which didn't mention the IRA (or other groups). It's laughable.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    "Never get high on your own product."

That's a great aphorism, a Confucian truism for the 21st century.

Also, this "Vanilla" is very strange. It said 24 comments, but I had to sign in to see any of them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,012
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Well, there are three ways to leave the Euro. ("She said it grieves me so, to see you in such pain, there must be something I can do...")

1. Fast.

Just get it done. Don't tell anyone and then attempt to do it over a week of bank holidays.

The problem with this is that people who didn't know you would do it feel very aggrieved. Old people and those on fixed incomes feel they have been particularly screwed. (And there are a lot of old people in Italy.)

Also, what happens if you haven't managed to get IT and accounting systems at Italy's 800,000 or so firms sorted after a week? What currency will people be pulling out of banks (if they are allowed to at all)? Can you provide food for those who don't have enough physical cash? And how do you deal with bank redomination and firms (and individuals) with Euro exposure to non-Italians?

2. Slow.

Allows time for planning. Allows it to be a democratic decision. Unfortunately, results in the destruction of the entire banking sector in the 48 hours following the announcement.

3. A Parallel Currency.

Imagine that the Italian government created a parallel currency called the Lira. It then announced that all civil servants would be paid in Lira. The Lira - of course - devalues 25% against the Euro. But all those civil servants still have Euro rent. They would regard it (correctly) as a 25% pay cut.

Italy has found themselves in a very difficult hole. The issue they have is this: if they want to escape the Euro, they need to implement sensible policies first. But those policies are the exact opposite - labour market liberalisation, for example - of what is demanded by their supporters.
    Would the problem with 2 still happen if there were a full Euorozone banking union before you started?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

FPT

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

All my numerous ppi calls are from Wales or England. Even I would hesitate to call that 'abroad'.
    I did have a nuisance phone call from a broad the other day, but I'm not sure ex-wives count.
  • Options
    On topic, doesn't this just show the accidental and still quite mysterious nature of Jezza's rise, and the inclination of middle aged blokes (ie Jezza's advisors) to think they have a clue about getting down with the yoof.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,891

Incidentally, due to channel-hopping I saw all the BBC and most of ITV's reports on the Liege attack (at ten). The BBC managed to omit that the man shouted "Allahu Akbar" or "(included by ITV) was thought to have come under the influence of Islamism.

No mention of Islam, him being Muslim, or the cry made it onto the news, despite being known. The term used was 'radicalism'. That kind of wilful omission why people like Tommy Robinson here and Geert Wilders in the Netherlands have a willing audience.

It's quite incredible. Imagine a story from the 80s or 90s about Irish terrorism which didn't mention the IRA (or other groups). It's laughable.

I look forward to the launch of Morris Dancer TV, defender of the trooth, Tommy Robinson and all things good.

It'll be a hit.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    Just because you are willing to vote for Corbyn Labour does not mean as an under 30 you want to spend a weekend in summer going to hear Billy Bragg, Owen Jones and some bands you have never heard of preach socialism at you when you could save the money and go to the Reading Festival for example with bands you have actually heard of. Not to mention the World Cup will be on in June too
  • Options
    Foxy said:

As an occassional festival goer (usually Lattitude), Labour Live has little appeal. The festival calender is too full at present, the lineup is poor, and this one happens as the World Cup commences.

Festivals not infrequently go broke, and are not for the inexperienced to arrange! better to sponser a stage at one of the established festivals with a sympathetic audience.

That seems eminently sensible. But the question is why Labour felt the need for a festival; it hardly seems to be the most efficient way of getting votes as most of the attendees will be believers anyway.
  • Options

Foxy said:

That seems eminently sensible. But the question is why Labour felt the need for a festival; it hardly seems to be the most efficient way of getting votes as most of the attendees will be believers anyway.
    It's a first tentative step towards a religious movement with churches, hymns and proper safeguarding rules?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

The Italian voters suffer from the same sort of #Cakeism as our own. They want the positives and not so keen on the negatives. In both countries politicians have colluded with this.

What the League wants is to clamp down hard on immigration with mass deportations of asylum seekers from North Africa and to slash taxes with a flat tax, what Five Star wants is to increase spending, end austerity and have a universal basic income. It is left and right wing populism combined.

If as polls project the two parties combined get 55 to 60% combined that programme poses a threat to the core values of the EU and the fiscal discipline of the Eurozone whether indirectly or directly and both parties have made clear they will put their programme before the Euro if the EU will not compromise
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Touch Cable instead of Lucy and you will definitely get a shock.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

The BBC website article and R4 this am certainly refer to most of what you mention.

Which terrorist group that the attacker was a member of do you think was omitted from BBC reports?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320

Someone does. I doubt Jez himself would know a Fest from a week's glamping in a muddy field.
    I'm sure that's right (would be true of me too). Looks like a mistake, though, by someone on the NEC or staff not very used to the hazards of organising festivals. In any case, I don't think we should be focusing on building the youth vote further at this point: there are other priorities.
  • Options
    Interesting tweet on Italy and the tension (not just there) between democratic free will and The Project.
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1001728414288613376

For what it's worth, I reach the opposite conclusion. Submission to the EU comes in a series of small steps, whereas breaking from it (or the eurozone, specifically) is one massive leap. Psychologically, it's easier to travel a long way through a series of small steps rather than one massive one. It's why controlling boyfriends/girlfriends tend not to open the first date with financial coercion and physical abuse. The slower the process, the longer the journey can be from the individual's (or nation's) desired position.
  • Options

Foxy said:

The point I assume was to raise lots of cash for Labour, instead it looks like it is going to make a huge loss which would completely defeat the point of it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

The point I assume was to raise lots of cash for Labour, instead it looks like it is going to make a huge loss which would completely defeat the point of it
    One day the UK economy could be one huge Jezfest
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

In the 2015 election the Tories had a manifesto commitment to support staying in the EU. Should on that logic the Queen have refused to approve any Cabinet member (eg Gove) Cameron proposed who wanted to leave the EU? After all she could have thought there might be major Economic or political impacts from having ministers sitting round the Cabinet table who wanted to leave the EU. She wouldn't and didn't of course - so what gives the Italian President the moral authority to do the same even if he has the legal one.

5star and Lega wanted a Finance minister who amongst other economic positions supported leaving the Euro - hardly the same as saying by appointing such a person Italy would start plans to leave the Euro on day one. Any such change would need to be approved by the elected Italian Parliament at the very least and almost certainly a referendum would be held to approve it too.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    TOPPING said:

Amazing report on R4 exonerating RBKC Council over Grenfell. Not expecting it to find its way onto the Graun front page.

That is not completely true, the report criticises 'weak leadership' at the council with volunteers 'left on the front line'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44295397

Though I agree the new council leader Elizabeth Campbell is working very hard to learn the lessons from.the tragedy and make the changes required
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Morning all :)

If we're going to have a pop at political parties losing or wasting money, I wonder how much the Conservatives threw away on the 2017 GE campaign to go from having an overall majority to not having an overall majority ?

Far more than anything Labour might lose on its "festival".

Slightly more seriously, there is a glut of these "festivals" now and it seems every weekend you have the opportunity to spend a large amount of time listening to music in a muddy field. Add on the large number of more civilised outdoor music events at race meetings, parks, large historic houses and there's simply too much and the bubble on this one is about to burst and especially so if we get a wet summer.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

If a Jez-like figure lost only (Dr Evil voice on) 'One million dollars!' (Dr Evil voice off) I shall be very happy but I would also be very surprised.

Even one hundred billion dollars, or a hundred billion pounds, would be an improvement. The equivalent of a hundred billion pounds (lb) of gold would be more like it.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I'm not defending Robinson. I'm saying the BBC's unique approach to reporting the Liege attack by omitting relevant and publicly known information means that people wanting to actually hear what's going on will be more receptive to people like Robinson.

Mr. Divvie, you're right that the BBC website included the "Allahu Akbar" phrase, which made the omission from a relatively long segment on the news even odder. But then, the BBC website included an excellent break down of migrant numbers (during the height of the so-called Crisis) by Mark Urban, which concluded most were economic migrants. That also didn't exactly feature heavily on the broadcasts the organisation made on the subject.

At the risk of repeating myself or banging my own drum, I have repeatedly warned that there's a small but credible path to the far right rising in this country. Part of that is if people, in significant numbers, lose faith in the politicians and media in the mainstream because said groups are unwilling to be open and honest. A Dutchman summed this up well with the elections there a year or two ago. He didn't especially like Wilders, but he felt the Netherlands was sick and the other parties proposed to do nothing about it. The voter said he would take 'strong medicine' over nothing, to try and make his country better.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

That is not completely true, the report criticises 'weak leadership' at the council with volunteers 'left on the front line'

Though I agree the new council leader Elizabeth Campbell is working very hard to learn the lessons from.the tragedy and make the changes required
    What came out was that the fire service was advising residents to stay in their flats long after the extent to which the fire was spreading on the outside was apparent.
  • Options

I'm sure that's right (would be true of me too). Looks like a mistake, though, by someone on the NEC or staff not very used to the hazards of organising festivals. In any case, I don't think we should be focusing on building the youth vote further at this point: there are other priorities.
    Yes quite interesting that Lab has put itself in the same position as the landed gentry and aristocracy with its foray into festival organisation.

As for the young, I quite agree - f**k 'em. We'll make a rural Tory of you yet, Nick.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    edited May 2018

Foxy said:

Jezza had a great time at Glastonbury last year, and with Michael Eavis giving his fields a rest this year Corbyn (or more likely those around him) thought he’d have a go at doing it himself. But without the expertise. Or the history. Or the bands.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    TOPPING said:

I think that was a reference to an article by Andrew O'Hagan in the London Review of Books. The article can be found here - https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n11/andrew-ohagan/the-tower. I have not yet read it.

Since the inquiry has yet to start on the evidence it seems to me too early to attribute blame definitively or exonerate any group.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

With the hyperbolic praise, literally singing his name at times, frankly it woukd be a surprise if he didn't get a little caught up in the hype, however momentarily.

Of course we saw what happened when May got caught up in her hype.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, I'm not defending Robinson. I'm saying the BBC's unique approach to reporting the Liege attack by omitting relevant and publicly known information means that people wanting to actually hear what's going on will be more receptive to people like Robinson.

(Snip)

That's a ridiculous argument. What people who are likely to be receptive to people like Robinson want to hear is not relevant and publicly-known information; as the recent case shows, they are immune to facts. What they want are things to confirm their biases.

We saw hysterical screeching on here from several posters who ignored responses from informed people.

It's a trap we all fall into at times, but it's particularly important to avoid it when we're discussing such important and emotive topics, especially when it means that trials might collapse and the hopes for justice avoided.

That's what matters here, and it's what the defenders of Robinson care f'all about.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,795
    Maybe Ken Loach will produce a biopic about Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FPT

Secondly, that government when elected has to threaten to default on the country's debts to the ECB. That would be an incredibly stupid thing to do given the power the ECB has over the Italian banking system.

Alternatively, they may conclude that they should simply leave the Euro. See above with brass knobs on.

Alternatively, the ECB may decide/be forced by Germany into either winding down or at least capping the Target2 imbalances. This would effectively cause liquidity shortages in Italy and elsewhere causing a serious recession. It would also be an incredibly stupid thing to do and inconsistent with the existence of a single currency bloc.

No doubt there are other scenarios or stupidities that could cause a crisis but they are all ever more unlikely. What I think is clear that even in a worst case scenario this is a story which will evolve slowly over a period of months, not days. Although I am a Eurosceptic and a leaver I don't think it is sensible to anticipate people acting like idiots or gloat over some hypothetical crisis which might seriously damage our largest trading links. There are real problems caused by Italy's lack of growth and very high debt. The lack of the former is making the latter ever harder to bear. But we are a very long way from Armageddon.

These "grave crises" often tend to be overblown, especially by some commentators who always think that this will mean the end of the euro.

OTOH financial crises do tend to happen - or start - in the summer - Russian bond crisis, LTCM, the credit default swap problems etc.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    Ian Lavery and finances.

Always plenty to see there.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    On the one hand I don't particularly want to live through what would be the worst ever financial crisis of our times if the EMU broke up. On the other, I'd love to see the reaction from our own @tyson, I think his head might explode. It's a tough choice for me.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, from Nick Griffin's first comments to now, there's been a rising suspicion that the authorities either don't care or are very lax when it comes to tackling Muslim rape gangs (Rotherham, Rochdale, Oxford, Newcastle etc). So any suggestion of a media cover-up or authorities trying to prevent reporting has a ready made audience predisposed to at least give such a hearing, if not believe it right off the bat.

The breach of the peace/terms of suspended sentence strangeness coupled with initial reporting restrictions only made that worse.

[For the record, I do find the arrest terms and charge terms being seemingly different rather peculiar, but am persuaded by the chap (Nazir Ali?) who has performed successfully in prosecuting similar crimes and who was less than sympathetic to Robinson].
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Wrong report - I meant the LRB one.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

I think that was a reference to an article by Andrew O'Hagan in the London Review of Books. The article can be found here - https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n11/andrew-ohagan/the-tower. I have not yet read it.

Since the inquiry has yet to start on the evidence it seems to me too early to attribute blame definitively or exonerate any group.
    Yes. That one. He was pretty coruscating this morning about the criticism of the Council for (I assume!) a Lefty.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, we're prone to overblown doomsday scenarios. See also avian flu, swine flu, global warming, etc. I imagine it's just evolutionary, as overreacting to a smaller danger is safer than underreacting to a larger danger.

Plus, we never really see the train coming until it's too late. If it were otherwise, we'd always be prepared to leap out of the way.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    A question for those with knowledge of European businesses.

Are French and German retail companies shutting down as fast as British ones ?

I ask because French and German retail sales growth is lower than in the UK.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

FPT

These "grave crises" often tend to be overblown, especially by some commentators who always think that this will mean the end of the euro.

OTOH financial crises do tend to happen - or start - in the summer - Russian bond crisis, LTCM, the credit default swap problems etc.
    Sometimes crises come entirely out of the left field.

Other times (like the crash of 2008-9) people have been pointing out growing problems for years, but we've kicked the can down the road for so long that most of us assume we'll just muddle through. Italy is an example of this. Italy should never have been part of the Eurozone, and the country won't endure zero economic growth forever, but we still assume they'll muddle through.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Then the next Tory government as in 1979 and 2010 will spend a decade sorting it out
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Sean_F said:

Route Irish Republican Army.
  • Options
    Mr. F, indeed. The choice Italy, and others, have is to have their arm broken, or to have Chinese burns with increasing frequency. The burns sound better, but they never stop, and eventually the skin will be agonising, as well as wide open to infection. The break will hurt a lot more, but will mend and then be good as new, over a period of time.

The more time transpires the greater the pain in diverting from The Project. It's one reason I decided to vote to Leave. The longer it takes, the tighter the grip of the bureaucrats.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Morning all :)

If we're going to have a pop at political parties losing or wasting money, I wonder how much the Conservatives threw away on the 2017 GE campaign to go from having an overall majority to not having an overall majority ?

Far more than anything Labour might lose on its "festival".

Slightly more seriously, there is a glut of these "festivals" now and it seems every weekend you have the opportunity to spend a large amount of time listening to music in a muddy field. Add on the large number of more civilised outdoor music events at race meetings, parks, large historic houses and there's simply too much and the bubble on this one is about to burst and especially so if we get a wet summer.

After a sunny May a hot June is forecast so Labour cannot blame the weather
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sean_F said:

"Sweet Sixteen point gap at the 2022 election" ..
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

What came out was that the fire service was advising residents to stay in their flats long after the extent to which the fire was spreading on the outside was apparent.
    Clearly there are lessons to be learnt for both the council and the fire service in terms of cladding, organisation and response and advice given when big fires occur
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scotland Come Home.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

FPT

[Snipped]

Other times (like the crash of 2008-9) people have been pointing out growing problems for years, but we've kicked the can down the road for so long that most of us assume we'll just muddle through. Italy is an example of this. Italy should never have been part of the Eurozone, and the country won't endure zero economic growth forever, but we still assume they'll muddle through.
    There is a risk that this could end up in a really bad place, true. But I think there is a tendency to see every euro-related crisis in other European countries through the prism of British euroscepticism. People may well be very eurosceptic and fed up and all the rest of it but from what I understand of these Italian parties they want to improve the euro to make it work for them rather than leave. Whether they can or not is another matter but it would be a mistake to assume that Lega Nord and 5 Star are the Italian equivalent of UKIP.

A lot of Italian debt is held by Italians themselves. So departure from the euro would hurt Italians very significantly. That is likely to be a factor in what happens next.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Clearly there are lessons to be learnt for both the council and the fire service in terms of cladding, organisation and response and advice given when big fires occur
    Part of what O'Hagan was pointing out was that it was as much, if not substantially all the TMO which was the driving force for the refurb, the cladding, etc and that the Council was happy to bankroll the recommendations of the TMO and indeed had increased allocated funds to do so.
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, you're right that the BBC website included the "Allahu Akbar" phrase, which made the omission from a relatively long segment on the news even odder. But then, the BBC website included an excellent break down of migrant numbers (during the height of the so-called Crisis) by Mark Urban, which concluded most were economic migrants. That also didn't exactly feature heavily on the broadcasts the organisation made on the subject.

At the risk of repeating myself or banging my own drum, I have repeatedly warned that there's a small but credible path to the far right rising in this country. Part of that is if people, in significant numbers, lose faith in the politicians and media in the mainstream because said groups are unwilling to be open and honest. A Dutchman summed this up well with the elections there a year or two ago. He didn't especially like Wilders, but he felt the Netherlands was sick and the other parties proposed to do nothing about it. The voter said he would take 'strong medicine' over nothing, to try and make his country better.

What's interesting is the attackers name, Benjamin Herman, which I assume means he was almost certainly not born a Muslim. I suspect (as usual) the story is more complicated than it first appears.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Yes. That one. He was pretty coruscating this morning about the criticism of the Council for (I assume!) a Lefty.
    Indeed: the distinction between the TMO and the Council was completely ignored in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy. There was a very unseemly rush to judgment based on a lot of preconceptions and very little evidence.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

FPT

Im sure I remember reading a technical explanation for that. Volatility is more likely on low volumes? Is that correct?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    Can I buy tickets for this on viagogo ?
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, there have been other incidents of converts being involved. I remember reading an analysis suggesting this was due somewhat to the zeal of the converted but also, more significantly, new converts having less idea about 'real'/'normal' [highly debatable definitions, of course] Islam because they hadn't grown up with it so their knowledge was more limited. Asking questions or disagreeing with teachers is probably more difficult if you're a convert because you don't want to appear, ahem, a Doubting Thomas.

Obviously, anyone willing to end up becoming a terrorist has to be (or become) a madman or a thug, but (returning to the small steps argument from above) slow journeys can lead to heading that way.

It'd be interesting to have some percentages of converts to Islam in the general population of that religion and compare that to the percentage involved in terrorist attacks. Foreign fighters, of course, played a major role in the rise of ISIS.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Indeed: the distinction between the TMO and the Council was completely ignored in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy. There was a very unseemly rush to judgment based on a lot of preconceptions and very little evidence.
    For me one of the most interesting elements was that he said the govt also joined in the unwarranted or at least excessive condemnation of the Council. I too haven't read his full article so look forward to doing so and seeing the detail.

It was obviously a huge "labour of love" for him to have spent such time on such a project.
  • Options

What's interesting is the attackers name, Benjamin Herman, which I assume means he was almost certainly not born a Muslim. I suspect (as usual) the story is more complicated than it first appears.
    From what I heard the working theory was that he had been or may have been radicalised in prison. There have been concerns in France and here about the risks of extremist prisoners using prison to radicalise others and what can be done about it. The other issue raised by the story was whether the authorities knew that he was a risk - because of his violent tendencies, regardless of any radicalisation - and whether it was wise of them to allow him out on day release or something similar. As you say, probably a more complicated story than the initial reports.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Part of what O'Hagan was pointing out was that it was as much, if not substantially all the TMO which was the driving force for the refurb, the cladding, etc and that the Council was happy to bankroll the recommendations of the TMO and indeed had increased allocated funds to do so.
    Regardless despite being a Tory myself clearly the council has significant lessons to learn too as its new leader Elizabeth Campbell has herself correctly asserted, there is no point points scoring on Grenfell what is needed is action taken on lessons learned by all concerned
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited May 2018

Mr. Jessop, from Nick Griffin's first comments to now, there's been a rising suspicion that the authorities either don't care or are very lax when it comes to tackling Muslim rape gangs (Rotherham, Rochdale, Oxford, Newcastle etc). So any suggestion of a media cover-up or authorities trying to prevent reporting has a ready made audience predisposed to at least give such a hearing, if not believe it right off the bat.

The breach of the peace/terms of suspended sentence strangeness coupled with initial reporting restrictions only made that worse.

[For the record, I do find the arrest terms and charge terms being seemingly different rather peculiar, but am persuaded by the chap (Nazir Ali?) who has performed successfully in prosecuting similar crimes and who was less than sympathetic to Robinson].

Whether it be child abuse in Rotherham, electoral fraud in Tower Hamlets, or the exploitation of migrant labour in the garment industry in Leicester, our public authorities can seem keener to avoid accusations of racism than to uphold the rule of law.

Then again, taking the easy way out isn’t new. I’m reading a book about the Easter Rising, and it’s telling that army officers who announced they would refuse to uphold Home Rule were let off, when by rights they should have been court-martialled, and if found guilty hanged.
  • Options
    JSpringJSpring Posts: 96
    "Despite the result last June Corbyn finished with fewer votes and seats than the Tories and it should be remembered that many observers said it was the worst Tory campaign in history."

But would it have been remembered as such had the result in fact been a Tory majority of (say) 80 or more? The Tory campaign of 1987 wasn't regarded as being of much use at the time, but of course the Tories ended up with a three-figure majority so their campaign's quality was swiftly brushed aside.
  • Options

However, Robinson is an arse, who would be quite happy to cause a trial to collapse, so he could then blame the authorities.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Regardless despite being a Tory myself clearly the council has significant lessons to learn too as its new leader Elizabeth Campbell has herself correctly asserted, there is no point points scoring on Grenfell what is needed is action taken on lessons learned by all concerned
    You're a Tory????!!!???
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Then the next Tory government as in 1979 and 2010 will spend a decade sorting it out
    "Sorting it out" in '79 is a euphemism for "getting a massive wodge of oil money" right?
  • Options

On the other hand, it was fairly obvious (although seemingly not to many, including yourself), that the incident involved an ongoing court case and that people might just need to tread around it carefully to avoid prejudicing it.

If, that is, they cared.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Sean_F said:

However, Robinson is an arse, who would be quite happy to cause a trial to collapse, so he could then blame the authorities.
    That's what he was trying to do. Deserved to go to jail.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

"Sorting it out" in '79 is a euphemism for "getting a massive wodge of oil money" right?

Yes - that's all Maggie did - spend a few Mcpetro dollars - the massive structural reforms that happened were all down to the unions, the public sector and hard working NHS staff.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

For me one of the most interesting elements was that he said the govt also joined in the unwarranted or at least excessive condemnation of the Council. I too haven't read his full article so look forward to doing so and seeing the detail.

It was obviously a huge "labour of love" for him to have spent such time on such a project.
    Hardly surprising given the way May and the government were being attacked. There was an element of sauve qui peut and sod the evidence. The way some on the Left used the tragedy to make political attacks did not help.

It was understandable that emotions were very high - but mob judgment rarely helps. Unfortunately, if you say this and ask people to wait for the evidence, not make assumptions and not assume that the amount of tears shed is a measure of the quality of analysis or knowledge of the facts, you are seen as callous and uncaring.

I'm all for understanding the human element when investigating matters. But too often we don't have that. We have a soppy emotive emotionalism and often bogus sentimentality which obscures rather than helps.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,365

The BBC website article and R4 this am certainly refer to most of what you mention.
    As did the Today program this morning.

I think MD, as so many do, confuses journalistic caution with bias. The number of times similar comments are made regarding breaking news - as opposed to reports the following day - is notable.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

FPT

[Snipped]

There is a risk that this could end up in a really bad place, true. But I think there is a tendency to see every euro-related crisis in other European countries through the prism of British euroscepticism. People may well be very eurosceptic and fed up and all the rest of it but from what I understand of these Italian parties they want to improve the euro to make it work for them rather than leave. Whether they can or not is another matter but it would be a mistake to assume that Lega Nord and 5 Star are the Italian equivalent of UKIP.

A lot of Italian debt is held by Italians themselves. So departure from the euro would hurt Italians very significantly. That is likely to be a factor in what happens next.
    Not leaving the Euro is hurting them now. Attach that to major resentment regarding the number of African migrants and the rest of Europe's unwillingness to accept them and I can see things only moving in one direction.

In fact the only thing the Italian President has done is to exacerbate the issue which at least brings the final decision forward
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

snip

3. A Parallel Currency.

I don't think you have adequately rebutted the idea of a parallel currency.

Those civil servants (and pensioners and suppliers to government) would regard their rent (and food) as having risen by 25% (or is it 33%?) if charged in Euro and would resist paying that price.

People would hoard Euros (for use overseas) and most transactions would be in Lira. (Gresham's law).

The Government could mandate dual pricing and impose a rent freeze.

There are ways to make it work. I wish Greece had done it.
  • Options
    I'm sure gun control Don will be putting a stopper on this.

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/971746437951352832
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Whether it be child abuse in Rotherham, electoral fraud in Tower Hamlets, or the exploitation of migrant labour in the garment industry in Leicester, our public authorities can seem keener to avoid accusations of racism than to uphold the rule of law.

Then again, taking the easy way out isn’t new. I’m reading a book about the Easter Rising, and it’s telling that army officers who announced they would refuse to uphold Home Rule were let off, when by rights they should have been court-martialled, and if found guilty hanged.
    Those in the army who refused to do this knew they would get away with it because they had the support of the then Tory party. I know, that Tory party which was always going on about the rule of law and which, conveniently, forgot about this dishonourable part of their history, when criticising those - on the other side - who took up arms against the British state.
  • Options

I'm sure gun control Don will be putting a stopper on this.

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/971746437951352832

I think we can all agree that being shot with an Israeli gun is much worse than being shot with a Kalashnikov and anyone that disagrees is probably a Zionist shill.
This discussion has been closed.