Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Brexit is ever to be reversed it’ll be down to the 13% who

13»

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Foxy said:

Mr. Borough, that's a stark poll finding. Yet the eurozone-sceptical parties remain the most popular.

As I said the other day, it's like the old Roman expression "holding a wolf by the ears." Italy can't hold on and it can't let go.

It's why I think they'll stay in. The steps of integration are deliberately small so nation states and electorates travel a long way from their ideal position before they realise what's happened. By the time they decide they want to change things, the choice is small steps away from where they want to be, or a huge leap (necessarily incurring some disruption and uncertainty) in the other direction.

On the other hand, Italy has also gained substantially from being in the EZ in terms of borrowing costs. Their problem is that they did not spend that windfall wisely:

https://twitter.com/danobrien20/status/1001750507994648576?s=19
    the pro EU parties that ran the place pissed it all away ?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

Foxy said:

Mr. Borough, that's a stark poll finding. Yet the eurozone-sceptical parties remain the most popular.

As I said the other day, it's like the old Roman expression "holding a wolf by the ears." Italy can't hold on and it can't let go.

It's why I think they'll stay in. The steps of integration are deliberately small so nation states and electorates travel a long way from their ideal position before they realise what's happened. By the time they decide they want to change things, the choice is small steps away from where they want to be, or a huge leap (necessarily incurring some disruption and uncertainty) in the other direction.

On the other hand, Italy has also gained substantially from being in the EZ in terms of borrowing costs. Their problem is that they did not spend that windfall wisely:

non sequitur alert!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2018
    Following yesterdays discussion on cannabis legislation, I didn't realize quite how widespread some form of legal use is across the US. I was aware of the recreational legalization in places like Colorado, but it seems only now 4 states that it totally illegal in all forms.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/basketball/43836214
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Interesting that our PB Leavers are following much of the country in pronouncing that Brexit has been good or bad so far whereas w* h*v*n’t l*ft y*t.

Some also forget or overlook the actions of the much-reviled BoE chief which did much to stave off any immediate negative effects of the vote (save that currency thingy).

And faced a lot of criticism for what was a monumentally stupid thing at the time,quickly reversed
    Nope - he stood by it, they introduced a plan together with the decision, and then it was reversed 15 months later as it looked as though inflation might be on the rise.
    Of course he stood behind it, despite the fact it was monumentally stupid
    What do you see as being the negative impact of the decision to cut interest rates following the Brexit vote?
    (A) stoked inflation

(B) wasted firepower

(C) reinforced the Greenspan put
    Given inflation was well below target when he did it, stoking inflation doesn't seem a particularly big downside. I don't really know what you mean by wasted firepower either, he's now gone back to 0.5% so surely has just as much room to cut as he did before, i.e. not very much!

I can understand why Brexiteers got upset with his pronouncements in the run-up to Brexit on the economics risks - I also thought it would have been better for him to stay out of it more. But it seems strange to me that they would be so upset that he intervened to boost growth post the vote. It would surely have been much worse for them if he'd done nothing and we had seen more of a decline in growth.
    He did it in face of a big drop inthe FX rate which was expected to feed through the inflation.

In wasted firepower he fired his one shot preemptively

The Greenspan put is the worst - moral hazard is a real problem in finance

And this is my views as an economist and investor not a Brexiteer.

(Just about to take off so when I don’t reply it’s because of that)
    Thanks for the response. My second para was more directed at the criticism he's been getting generally rather than you personally.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Interesting that our PB Leavers are following much of the country in pronouncing that Brexit has been good or bad so far whereas w* h*v*n’t l*ft y*t.

Some also forget or overlook the actions of the much-reviled BoE chief which did much to stave off any immediate negative effects of the vote (save that currency thingy).

And faced a lot of criticism for what was a monumentally stupid thing at the time,quickly reversed
    Nope - he stood by it, they introduced a plan together with the decision, and then it was reversed 15 months later as it looked as though inflation might be on the rise.
    He stood behind it because it was the right thing to do, as I mentioned earlier, echoing the Fed, which 30 years earlier:

"affirmed today its readiness to serve as a source of liquidity to support the economic and financial system"
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Foxy said:

Thats a lot of Bunga Bunga!

Leaving the Euro would put up Italy's borrowing costs considerably, so they would get austerity rather than the spending spree that 5 Star has promised.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Following yesterdays discussion on cannabis legislation, I didn't realize quite how widespread some form of legal use is across the US. I was aware of the recreational legalization in places like Colorado, but it seems only now 4 states that it totally illegal in all forms.

Indeed so – it will be legalised in most western jurisdictions probably within our lifetime. Already 20% of all Americans live in states where it is fully legal. As there are no border controls on state lines, millions more have full access to it.

Just a matter of time.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
  • Options

Am amazed that the debate here is so low on the agenda.

The amount of time and money spent suppressing the availability of plants is a total waste.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

What do you see as being the negative impact of the decision to cut interest rates following the Brexit vote?
    (A) stoked inflation

(B) wasted firepower

haha so pushing at his piece of string which was more about signalling intent than effective monetary policy management "stoked inflation"?!

As for the Greenspan put, this was an exogenous event that had no precedence and hence is not comparable.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leaving the Euro would put up Italy's borrowing costs considerably, so they would get austerity rather than the spending spree that 5 Star has promised.
    I doubt they will actually leave the Euro but will demand an easing of austerity and tougher immigration controls from North Africa if as is likely they get a clear majority with Lega Nord
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    TGOHF said:

The amount of time and money spent suppressing the availability of plants is a total waste.
    I was slightly amazed how strongly people feel about it in the US.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

OT

Good to see The Mail has taken up Andrew O'Hagan's piece for the LRB. No one comes out of it particularly well, but I have to say Javid and May seem to have been particularly spineless, solipsistic and opportunist.

You've got to admire the way the Mail has Tony Blair appearing as the prime culprit... and for that longstanding DM bête-noire 'de-regulation', ffs!
    Well reading O'Hagan's article (all of it!!) he puts it thus:

"What competition actually does is make service providers deliver more of what the customer wants. When building control was with the local authority, when they were the only people doing it, their customers were the public.’

‘And with social housing, the residents,’ I said.

‘Yes. But once you introduce competition, the customer is the person building the hotel, that’s who they’re really wanting to satisfy, because they want their business. Will I win that business by being really strict and worrying about the patrons’ ability to escape through the door? No. I win that business by saying to the person who’s building the hotel: “I’ll charge you next to nothing for approving the plans and I will use my discretion very generously when I’m looking at your plans and deciding whether or not they actually comply.”’"
    I have just ploughed through it too. Very interesting. The first section is deeply moving - some incredibly poignant individual stories there. Anyone who is anti-immigrant should read the first section in particular.

Some interesting themes about the power of the initial narrative, people seeking to confirm their prejudices (we all do it), inappropriate use of competition, and outsourcing local authority services.

(I still question how the DM managed to have Tony Blair as a prime candidate for blame though.)
    I haven't dared quote the line that is used about George Osborne for fear of getting banned when @TSE is in charge this summer.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited May 2018
    kle4 said:

Howe've the populists do in a wave of discontent, stats like that will give them pause on many options.
    Maybe that's why (by some accounts) they wanted to EUROexit by dubious government mandate rather than a referendum.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Dr. Foxy, I'm uncertain lower borrowing costs are worth the economy flatlining for a decade or two.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

(A) stoked inflation

(B) wasted firepower

Given inflation was well below target when he did it, stoking inflation doesn't seem a particularly big downside. I don't really know what you mean by wasted firepower either, he's now gone back to 0.5% so surely has just as much room to cut as he did before, i.e. not very much!

I can understand why Brexiteers got upset with his pronouncements in the run-up to Brexit on the economics risks - I also thought it would have been better for him to stay out of it more. But it seems strange to me that they would be so upset that he intervened to boost growth post the vote. It would surely have been much worse for them if he'd done nothing and we had seen more of a decline in growth.
    It really is a wonder how such a transparently simple move, and as you say a piddly 50bps when interest rates are effectively zero anyway, could excite the ire of so many Leavers.

Carney is foreign, that said so is surely up to no good.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Tories are Racist says Muslim Council of Britain.

When will May tackle the vile racism?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    TGOHF said:
    Well done Theresa.

Though I'm sure she'll take no pleasure from the fact that George Osborne is a Chelsea fan.
  • Options

Muslims are a race ?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

TGOHF said:

I was slightly amazed how strongly people feel about it in the US.
    Its a far more pleasant experience going to a shop in the US than some skeezy dealer. All about quality of life and product.
  • Options

TGOHF said:
    Well done Theresa.

Though I'm sure she'll take no pleasure from the fact that George Osborne is a Chelsea fan.
    As are Circa 400,000 Tory voters
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Indeed so – it will be legalised in most western jurisdictions probably within our lifetime. Already 20% of all Americans live in states where it is fully legal. As there are no border controls on state lines, millions more have full access to it.

Just a matter of time.
    Considering that drug related deaths in the USA now exceed either those caused by roads or guns, there may be better countries to follow in terms of drug policy!

https://www.statnews.com/2017/04/25/opioid-deaths-map/
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

TGOHF said:
    Well done Theresa.

They should have waited for them to knock down the Bridge before banning Abramovich.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

Islamophobia is not RACISM then?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

What is islamophobia ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Being criticised by the MCB is like being criticised by Tommy Robinson.
  • Options
    PurplePurple Posts: 150

FT thinks Tommy Robinson does it for the $

https://www.ft.com/content/f8f2b174-6409-11e8-90c2-9563a0613e56

I have always wondered how he funds his lifestyle. At one point I think it was believed he owned tanning salons, but I seemed to remember he said he wasn't involved in that anymore and more recently he got imprisoned for mortgage fraud (I think over by to lets).

HuffPo report from 2015.

"While in jail for mortgage fraud and 'at a crossroads in my life', Robinson claims he was repeatedly approached by Scotland Yard who he said tried to 'blackmail me' into playing a double agent to get them information on Britain First leader Paul Golding."

"'So I was like, so you want me to do to him, what you’ve done to me? This is f***en mad innit. You’ve got a f***en cheek to come in here.'"

That's from the man who went from the EDL to the Quilliam Foundation.

Another HuffPo piece is here, and a BBC report on the mortgage fraud conviction is here:

"Judge Andrew Bright QC described (Robinson) as the 'instigator, if not the architect' of some of the frauds.(...) He described Robinson as a 'fixer' who had introduced others to fraudulent mortgage broker Deborah Rothschild."

Both Robinson and Rothschild pleaded guilty and were jailed.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    OT

Just filled out a feedback form for Saddlers Wells.

Question 8a: Are you a) Male b) Female c) prefer not to say

Question 8b: Which of the following options best describes how you feel about your gender identity: a) Male b) Female c) in another way d) prefer not to say.

Edit: the Akram Khan there is stupendous - queue for a return.
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, obviously not.

Also, Islamophobia is an ambiguously unhelpful term. Discriminating against individuals because they're Muslim (or have any other religious belief) is wrong. Critiquing, ridiculing, questioning or mocking a religion is absolutely fine and any attempts to curtail that is wrong.

https://twitter.com/MorrisF1/status/1002081159860379648
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Sean_F said:

They aren't too fond of all Muslims...No Ahmadi's allowed.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

What is islamophobia ?
    Islamophobia
    ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/Submit
    noun
    dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

What is islamophobia ?
    Islamophobia
    ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/Submit
    noun
    So nothing to do with race then ?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

You can have Asian Muslims, African Muslims, European Muslims, etc.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

What is islamophobia ?
    Islamophobia
    ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/Submit
    noun
    MCB themselves meet that description...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:
    Well done Theresa.

They should have waited for them to knock down the Bridge before banning Abramovich.
    That would have been brilliant.

Though the new Everton stadium might turn into a disaster as well.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Just a matter of time.
    Considering that drug related deaths in the USA now exceed either those caused by roads or guns, there may be better countries to follow in terms of drug policy!

In fairness those stats are for opioids and other drugs upon which it is possible to overdose.

They don't include cannabis, which the OP was about.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

You can have Asian Muslims, African Muslims, European Muslims, etc.
    Anyone would think the MCB were trying to deflect from Corbyn and his big Jewish problem.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:
    Well done Theresa.

The dodgy sugar daddy model does have downsides and usually ends in tears.

Better off with someone that just robs the club blind as per Newcastle - avoids the emotional highs and lows.

• Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

What is islamophobia ?
    Islamophobia
    ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/Submit
    noun
    The need for a formal inquiry into Islamophobia in the party was described by former Tory cabinet minister Sayeeda Warsi as being “long overdue”.

Nothing to see here!!
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

What is islamophobia ?
    Islamophobia
    ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/Submit
    noun
    The need for a formal inquiry into Islamophobia in the party was described by former Tory cabinet minister Sayeeda Warsi as being “long overdue”.

Nothing to see here!!
    Its a crude, cynical and very poorly planned bit of mud slinging to help out their old mate Jezza.

Sad.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

What is islamophobia ?
    Islamophobia
    ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/Submit
    noun

Nothing to see here!!
    Sayeeda is atheistophobic!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    TGOHF said:

tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:
    Well done Theresa.

Better off with someone that just robs the club blind as per Newcastle - avoids the emotional highs and lows.

I'm happy with our owners.

Everton's new stadium is a curious one.

The Mayor of Liverpool, Labour's Joe Anderson keeps on bleating on for years about how Tory austerity is forcing him to cut everything, yet he's managed to find £280 million pounds to give to Everton as a loan towards the new stadium, which has raised eyebrows.

The fact that Joe Anderson is an Everton fan is neither here nor there.

PS - Newcastle is the wrong example, Mike Ashley's given the club £100 million plus in interest free loans.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    BBC have announced that the World Cup will be in 4K hdr, only problem is there streaming pile of poo that that is iplayer can’t handle major traffic and so they are having to limit the number of people watching the stream to a few 1000.
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, do you believe that Islam should be immune to question, intellectual inquiry, ridicule, mockery or insult?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:
    Well done Theresa.

The Mayor of Liverpool, Labour's Joe Anderson keeps on bleating on for years about how Tory austerity is forcing him to cut everything, yet he's managed to find £280 million pounds to give to Everton as a loan towards the new stadium, which has raised eyebrows.

PS - Newcastle is the wrong example, Mike Ashley's given the club £100 million plus in interest free loans.
    Tories = Real Madrid
    Labour = Liverpool
  • Options

BBC have announced that the World Cup will be in 4K hdr, only problem is there streaming pile of poo that that is iplayer can’t handle major traffic and so they are having to limit the number of people watching the stream to a few 1000.

Why can't they do what Sky do?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's the Islamic Orange Order
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

What is islamophobia ?
    Islamophobia
    ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/Submit
    noun

Nothing to see here!!
    Its a crude, cynical and very poorly planned bit of mud slinging to help out their old mate Jezza.

Sad.
    Sad if not unexpected response from yourself, FU and other PB Tory deniers.
  • Options

To put simply their tech is shit and I would guess Netflix, amazon etc hoover up a lot of the talent.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Just a matter of time.

In fairness those stats are for opioids and other drugs upon which it is possible to overdose.

They don't include cannabis, which the OP was about.
    Of course, as Cannabis is very safe in overdose.

The etiology of the opiod epidemic in the US is a little different to the cannabis epidemic there, and with somewhat different consequences. I am just pointing out that emulating US policy on drugs, guns, or even diet and healthcare is probably unwise.

We might more usefully copy countries that have these issues under good control.
  • Options
    F1:

Autosport has reported Renault isn't sure if all six cars using its engines will have the upgrade for Canada. "...in particular Red Bull."

They're paying a price for all the uncalled for bitching a few years ago.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Are you saying that they are fanatically loyal to the crown?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited May 2018

TGOHF said:

tlg86 said:

TGOHF said:
    Well done Theresa.

A club that wears tangerine is a better example.

(Edited as the owner has a habit of suing people!)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

What is islamophobia ?
    Islamophobia
    ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/Submit
    noun

Nothing to see here!!

Sad.
    It's true though - a coordinated deflection exercise pushed by Labour high command.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

What is islamophobia ?
    Islamophobia
    ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/Submit
    noun

Nothing to see here!!

Sad.
    Fake news again...where did I deny anything and I am not a Tory....I just pointed out that the MCB has a slightly iffy reputation when it comes to representing all Muslims.
  • Options
    Interesting. It is almost as if Eurosceptical populist political posturing is really about other issues.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

To put simply their tech is shit and I would guess Netflix, amazon etc hoover up a lot of the talent.
    The guy who has made 4K HDR work on Netflix used to work for the BBC.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

of course it would, but staying in is no better unless the germans agree to a debt reduction and at present they wont. Italy has no upside short term.

You're the doctor would you advise a patient to get a cancer treated knowing it will hurt or to let it keep growing in the hope something will turn up to cure it ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    edited May 2018

Right away I would hope, if the accusation is backed up with credible examples as I presume it is. All parties should be alert to racism toward any groups.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The guy who has made 4K HDR work on Netflix used to work for the BBC.
    Iplayer needs a total rewrite, but the last stuff I saw from the bbc they were pissing about with allowing loads of people to live stream via their phone and then bbc combine it into a production...when Hawkeye already have tech that does a lot of this automatically for things like horse racing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Are you saying that they are fanatically loyal to the crown?
    anti alcohol, keep women in their place, lots of prayers, anti abortion, fun sponges; and since the Queen is descended from Muhammed of course loyal to the Crown.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

of course it would, but staying in is no better unless the germans agree to a debt reduction and at present they wont. Italy has no upside short term.

You're the doctor would you advise a patient to get a cancer treated knowing it will hurt or to let it keep growing in the hope something will turn up to cure it ?
    Well, medically speaking, there are many cures that are worse than the original disease.

Italy is like an obese patient with heart disease, it needs to lose weight and exercise, but wants a magic pill instead, that would cause side effects and not address the underlying problem.
  • Options
    Compare and contrast with Labour

Responding to the letter, a Conservative spokesman said: "We take all such incidents seriously, which is why we have suspended all those who have behaved inappropriately and launched immediate investigations."
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Foxy said:

Interesting. It is almost as if Eurosceptical populist political posturing is really about other issues.

Yep.
    https://twitter.com/gusbaratta/status/1002124779384721408
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

What is islamophobia ?
    Islamophobia
    ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/Submit
    noun

Nothing to see here!!

Sad.
    I'd be interested to know what the specific instances with the Tories are? I assume if you are comparing it with Labour then there are calls to return to the crusades, as the obvious Muslim genocide? Are they telling mullahs they need to integrate and be a bit more like Richard the lion Heart? In my experience the racism in the Tories are more like my grandparents racism, that is it is a culture that they don't know and do not trust, rather than an overt racism. In the Labour Party my experience is the same as when I lived in Bradford. Most of the muslims were racist against Jewish people and wanted Israel destroyed. There are a hardcore of non Muslim labour members who appear to want the same.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    Foxy said:

Indeed it can be, but what it’s absolutely about is mainstream parties being perceived to have no answers to voters issues.

If they compound that by sneering and dismissal anything can happen. I wouldn’t want to be on the pro Euro side going in an Italian referendum in an environment where almost 60% of voters had voted populist, even on a 70:30 lead.

It’s worth remembering Remain had fairly solid 60-65 to 35-40 leads until very late in the day in our referendum.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Well, medically speaking, there are many cures that are worse than the original disease.

Italy is like an obese patient with heart disease, it needs to lose weight and exercise, but wants a magic pill instead, that would cause side effects and not address the underlying problem.
    the underlying problem being it got fat when it joined the EU club and its normal response to putting on weight ( devaluation ) is no longer open to it.

so it is trapped in a cage of its own making while Frau Mengele insists it go through lots of pain just because they enjoy making it do so
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

It’s worth remembering Remain had fairly solid 60-65 to 35-40 leads until very late in the day in our referendum.

Solid? It was only ever a few outliers that showed anything close to that.

• Options
    Is Williamglenn actually Guy Verhofstadt?

I simply love the way he thinks the answer to *every* problem or piece of voter angst is More Europe:

https://mobile.twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1002123654803656705
  • Options

It was solid in 2015 when the bill was being passed.

There were two main change points: Cameron’s disappointing deal in February 2016, and VoteLeave going hard post purdah in the final month.

Who’s to say an Italian referendum couldn’t be predicated by a disappointing negotiation, followed by a very lacklustre national campaign?
  • Options

It was solid in 2015 when the bill was being passed.

There were two main change points: Cameron’s disappointing deal in February 2016, and VoteLeave going hard post purdah in the final month.

Who’s to say an Italian referendum couldn’t be predicated by a disappointing negotiation, followed by a very lacklustre national campaign?
    maybe they could get Giorgio Osborno to run. He could do with another job.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, very unlucky, I'd say. Huge step to change currency, the pressure to retain the euro, even if you do have to kneel before Germany, would be immense.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Muslims are a race ?
    0/10

What is islamophobia ?
    Islamophobia
    ɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/Submit
    noun

Nothing to see here!!

Sad.
    I'd be interested to know what the specific instances with the Tories are? I assume if you are comparing it with Labour then there are calls to return to the crusades, as the obvious Muslim genocide? Are they telling mullahs they need to integrate and be a bit more like Richard the lion Heart? In my experience the racism in the Tories are more like my grandparents racism, that is it is a culture that they don't know and do not trust, rather than an overt racism. In the Labour Party my experience is the same as when I lived in Bradford. Most of the muslims were racist against Jewish people and wanted Israel destroyed. There are a hardcore of non Muslim labour members who appear to want the same.
    Last night we had good racist vs bad racists (Nick "The Grifter" Griffin vs Stephen "Tommy Robinson" Yaxley-Lennon) and today we have good racism vs bad racism.

Only on PB.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Indeed it can be, but what it’s absolutely about is mainstream parties being perceived to have no answers to voters issues.

There will be hell to pay when it dawns on voters that Brexit doesn't answer those issues either, and that hell may be delivered by Jezza and John.

Treating the wrong condition doesn't often lead to success.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Lega's hobby horse issue isn't really the Euro - more by virtue of Europe's geography the fact it is the first port of call for any Abu, Haile or Khaled that gets on a boat from Libya to the promised land of Europe.
  • Options
    Ms/Mr (?) Anazina, Islamophobia is an ambiguously unhelpful term as it conflates criticism of a religion with criticism of adherents to it (ie criticism of an opinion is conflated with criticism of people).

You don't think Islam should be immune from inquiry, examination, ridicule or insult, do you?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

4k hdr will take some hefty bandwidth, 50mbit maybe? It's not as efficiently compressed with live broadcasts as pre-recorded stuff.
  • Options

Ms/Mr (?) Anazina, Islamophobia is an ambiguously unhelpful term as it conflates criticism of a religion with criticism of adherents to it (ie criticism of an opinion is conflated with criticism of people).

You don't think Islam should be immune from inquiry, examination, ridicule or insult, do you?

Er no. Nor did I suggest so. I think you are confusing me with someone else, or else the threading system is kaput again.
This discussion has been closed.