Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just once I’d like a solution to the Northern Ireland border p

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited June 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just once I’d like a solution to the Northern Ireland border problem to last more than a few hours

David Davis’ new plan for ‘buffer zone’ at Irish border to break Brexit deadlock branded ‘nonsense’ by the DUP https://t.co/mn3flKomCl

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    And fifthly...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Surely the test for any sensible idea in Northern Ireland is the DUP opposing it.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Whatever deal May gets, she won’t be able to get it through the Commons.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    blueblue said:

rcs1000 said:

blueblue said:

Do you think the Conservatives ever look at the populist parties either seizing or challenging for power across the world and think "Hey, we'll have some of that - campaigning on outside-the-box policies that are actually popular. We might even win that mythical landslide, at last!"

No, me neither. We'll just have them throw away a golden opportunity by being boring and unimaginative in the most populist age in decades, and letting the British left seize that initiative themselves. Well played, chaps.

The problem with most of the populist parties is that they believe in the magic money tree, and they see simple solutions to complex problems.

Do you want the Tories to lie to the electorate, and say - for example - that cutting taxes 10% and increasing spending 10% will pay for itself through the magic of... errr... magic.
    If it's a choice being that and Corbyn, damned right I would. Win the goddamned majority first, then deal with the hard details later. The electorate at the moment is infinitely forgiving of failure to fulfil unrealistic promises, but utterly intolerant of the failure to make them in the first place!
    I would suggest that one of the reasons why populist parties are surging is because electorates feel they have been lied to by the traditional parties of government.

But then again, Mrs May got terribly punished for reminding people that the government cannot afford - with an ageing population leading to an ever worsening dependency ratio - to spend unlimited amounts on peoples' end of life care.
  • Options
    England are letting this test slip out of their fingers.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    rcs1000 said:

England are letting this test slip out of their fingers.

I bloody well hope so I'm on a Pakistan win and the draw.

Things have come to a pretty pass when you can't even rely on an England collapse.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    RoyalBlue said:

That, I think, is the nub of it. There is no Brexit deal that a hung parliament would accept. And the result will either be the cliff edge or an indefinite extension of the A50 deadline.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    rcs1000 said:

But then again, Mrs May got terribly punished for reminding people that the government cannot afford - with an ageing population leading to an ever worsening dependency ratio - to spend unlimited amounts on peoples' end of life care.

We don't really know what would have happened if she'd stuck to her guns instead of that embarrassing "nothing has changed" u-turn.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    rcs1000 said:

blueblue said:

rcs1000 said:

blueblue said:

Do you think the Conservatives ever look at the populist parties either seizing or challenging for power across the world and think "Hey, we'll have some of that - campaigning on outside-the-box policies that are actually popular. We might even win that mythical landslide, at last!"

No, me neither. We'll just have them throw away a golden opportunity by being boring and unimaginative in the most populist age in decades, and letting the British left seize that initiative themselves. Well played, chaps.

The problem with most of the populist parties is that they believe in the magic money tree, and they see simple solutions to complex problems.

Do you want the Tories to lie to the electorate, and say - for example - that cutting taxes 10% and increasing spending 10% will pay for itself through the magic of... errr... magic.
    If it's a choice being that and Corbyn, damned right I would. Win the goddamned majority first, then deal with the hard details later. The electorate at the moment is infinitely forgiving of failure to fulfil unrealistic promises, but utterly intolerant of the failure to make them in the first place!
    I would suggest that one of the reasons why populist parties are surging is because electorates feel they have been lied to by the traditional parties of government.

Erm no. We were assured on this very here pb that the plan would save people money and protect their savings, so the problem was Mrs May's reluctance to explain or debate this.

And I do not recall there being anything in the Tory manifesto about the costs of its flagship policy, Brexit. Or its financial benefits. Or anything apart from its being smooth and orderly (repeated half a dozen times).
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It looks like Theresa May wants the DUP to vote for a customs union. It’s hard to see another explanation for the government’s floated proposal.
  • Options
    This is why David Cameron should have held a royal commission to establish post-Brexit scenarios before calling the bloody referendum. And why Theresa May should have done the same before triggering Article 50.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

That, I think, is the nub of it. There is no Brexit deal that a hung parliament would accept. And the result will either be the cliff edge or an indefinite extension of the A50 deadline.
    I think the critical thing is what position the likes of Davis, Fox and Johnson can credibly take in the hours and days after a defeat on the deal. They have three choices:

- Fight on to defend the deal as the best available (how do they square that with their pre-referendum promises?)
    - Disown the deal and therefore the government
    - Reverse ferret on Brexit entirely
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    What happens to the cows that wander outside the 10 mile zone?

Will they have to be geo-fenced with shock collars?
  • Options

It looks like Theresa May wants the DUP to vote for a customs union. It’s hard to see another explanation for the government’s floated proposal.

That would mean the PM has failed to consult the party she relies on to prop up her government. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

This is why David Cameron should have held a royal commission to establish post-Brexit scenarios before calling the bloody referendum. And why Theresa May should have done the same before triggering Article 50.

Good points. Either of those would have made the whole situation a lot better. And a referendum question with more than two options would have been an improvement too.
  • Options

Agreed. But that begs the question of what comes next, and why May would want to time the erasure of her red lines to be so soon.

If she's planning a second referendum it would make sense.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    EXCLUSIVE: Bar Staff At Jezfest Will Work Unpaid https://order-order.com/2018/06/01/bar-staff-will-work-free-labour-live/
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905

Agreed. But that begs the question of what comes next, and why May would want to time the erasure of her red lines to be so soon.

Do you think there's a majority in the Commons for Referendum 2?
    Could she even get it done before March?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

If May backed it, Corbyn couldn't get away with opposing it so therefore there would be a majority.

I think we could get an A50 extension if needed to allow time for it. If it were held in the run up to the European elections it would bring into focus that we would be choosing between having a say and having no say.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

I think the answer to the timing question could be that the the EU has threatened to announce at the June summit that a transitional deal is off unless May has resolved the customs union question before it takes place.
  • Options
    Agree completely: both the UK and the EU have damaged themselves in the Brexit process.

They have seen Brexit as a one-off transaction, and have determined to nickle and dime us. Their failure to realise that our long-term strategic interests align, and that we should be close allies will cost them dear.

Our error was to fail to realise that the EU felt like a dumped girlfriend. Publicly gloating that our exit would cause "the whole house of cards to collapse" was unlikely to put the EU in a frame of mind to smooth our exit.

We have, belatedly, realised our errors. I do not believe the EU has (yet) realised theirs.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905

rkrkrk said:

If May backed it, Corbyn couldn't get away with opposing it so therefore there would be a majority.

I think we could get an A50 extension if needed to allow time for it. If it were held in the run up to the European elections it would bring into focus that we would be choosing between having a say and having no say.
    If May backed it - she'd face a leadership challenge immediately, I can't imagine the likes of Gove could back her if one of the referendum options was staying in.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Gov't demonstarting they have scrapped the bottom of the barrel to find solutions that the EU might agree to. All to no avail - which leaves going for WTO terms, which is where we should have started negotiations.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    rcs1000 said:

blueblue said:

rcs1000 said:

blueblue said:

Populist parties are surging because people want to believe simple solutions are available to very complex problems. Will Brexit solve Britains's problems? Would Italy leaving the EU solve their problems? No,but it's easy for a certain type of unscrupulous politician to pretend they will. Delivering on that promise is where the problems start.

We will never address the "end of life care" issue because nobody wants to face reality and there will always be politicians who pretend we don't have to.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

What happens to the cows that wander outside the 10 mile zone?

Will they have to be geo-fenced with shock collars?

Death sentence:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/pregnant-illegal-immigrant-cow-executed-12629679
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

If May backed it - she'd face a leadership challenge immediately, I can't imagine the likes of Gove could back her if one of the referendum options was staying in.
    She could face down a leadership challenge and win, and if it were already clear that the only Brexit she could get through the Commons would involve a customs union, many Brexiteers would reluctantly accept that it's inevitable anyway.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2018
    England making a minor mess of things at Headingley. Pakistan were 79 for 7, now 155 for 8.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/43866876
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

She could face down a leadership challenge and win, and if it were already clear that the only Brexit she could get through the Commons would involve a customs union, many Brexiteers would reluctantly accept that it's inevitable anyway.
    "No deal is better than a bad deal." T May
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    AndyJS said:

England making a minor mess of things at Headingley. Pakistan were 79 for 7, now 155 for 8.

156-9
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Good work.

Pakistan 156 for 9.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Agree completely: both the UK and the EU have damaged themselves in the Brexit process.

They have seen Brexit as a one-off transaction, and have determined to nickle and dime us. Their failure to realise that our long-term strategic interests align, and that we should be close allies will cost them dear.

Our error was to fail to realise that the EU felt like a dumped girlfriend. Publicly gloating that our exit would cause "the whole house of cards to collapse" was unlikely to put the EU in a frame of mind to smooth our exit.

We have, belatedly, realised our errors. I do not believe the EU has (yet) realised theirs.
    I don’t see any evidence that Leavers have learned this lesson. Only this week all the usual suspects were pronouncing the imminent demise of the EU over Italy.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

No Brexit is the easiest variant of no deal.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Not to mention

"there will not be a general election"
    "EU citizens arriving after March 2019 will not have automatic right of settlement"
    "the ECJ will have no jurisdiction in the UK after Brexit"
    "no British PM could ever sign up to anything which proposed a customs border in the Irish sea"

May's commitments rarely survive more than a day or two.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I don’t see any evidence that Leavers have learned this lesson. Only this week all the usual suspects were pronouncing the imminent demise of the EU over Italy.
    If the Treasury could collect £1 for every prediction of the demise of the EU/Euro that has been made since 1957 it could easily afford the legendary £350m weekly payment to the NHS.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    felix said:

EXCLUSIVE: Bar Staff At Jezfest Will Work Unpaid https://order-order.com/2018/06/01/bar-staff-will-work-free-labour-live/

Working for free drinks perhaps. Are they unaware of the Truck Acts?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This is completely wrong. The EU's strategy has always been focused on the long term, from a position of understanding that a) the UK would always need the EU for as long as the EU exists, and b) anything decided during the Brexit process could create a precedent or playbook that could be used at some point in the future in circumstances that may not be so relatively benign.

The mistake that Brexiteers made was in treating the Brexit vote as final and not merely a point in time. The fact that Britain's long-term strategic interests align with those of the EU is precisely why they don't need to bend over backwards to accommodate Brexit. In the end, we have no other viable strategic option.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    I wonder if Angie is regretting going for that 4th term?

Minority government
    Lowest polls in ages
    Immigration scandal
    Diesel Scandal
    Italy
    Spain
    Brexit
    Trump

Hard to see much upside for her
  • Options

Gov't demonstarting they have scrapped the bottom of the barrel to find solutions that the EU might agree to. All to no avail - which leaves going for WTO terms, which is where we should have started negotiations.
    We should have started building border infrastructure and hiring staff the day after the Brexit vote.

Indeed, the correct negotiating strategy would have been to have talked softly (i.e., been nice about our neighbours in public) but carried a big stick (i.e., to have been clearly prepared to go for no deal, if need be).

Instead we went for insulting them, while doing nothing to prepare for No Deal Brexit.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

rcs1000 said:

The Euro won't collapse imminently. But you just watch how many blind-eyes are turned to the Italians when they break EU economic rules and go hard after the Romanian immigrants. Anything to keep their mess of a project together.

Meanwhile, Europhiles will point with glee at every Brexit technicality.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

We should have started building border infrastructure and hiring staff the day after the Brexit vote.
    Where do you put the infrastructure for the border with Ireland? It's an absolutely absurd suggestion that would have simply brought all the fundamental problems with Brexit to a head much quicker, in a more febrile domestic political environment.

Populist, heal thyself.
  • Options

Minority government
    Lowest polls in ages
    Immigration scandal
    Diesel Scandal
    Italy
    Spain
    Brexit
    Trump

She's got the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1 coming up.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Minority government
    Lowest polls in ages
    Immigration scandal
    Diesel Scandal
    Italy
    Spain
    Brexit
    Trump

Edit - Deletd
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2018
    Rolf Degen on political echo chambers in the modern family:

https://twitter.com/DegenRolf/status/1002535110875508737
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    :lol:

As I said at 8am this morning. DD's plan would not make lunchtime.

• Options
    Fenster said:

rcs1000 said:

The Euro won't collapse imminently. But you just watch how many blind-eyes are turned to the Italians when they break EU economic rules and go hard after the Romanian immigrants. Anything to keep their mess of a project together.

The Italians have certainly chosen a very good moment to go off the reservation.
  • Options

Minority government
    Lowest polls in ages
    Immigration scandal
    Diesel Scandal
    Italy
    Spain
    Brexit
    Trump

Spain?

They've swapped one pro-EU PM for another. And the party leading in the polls there is even more pro-EU.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2018
    felix said:

EXCLUSIVE: Bar Staff At Jezfest Will Work Unpaid order-order.com/2018/06/01/bar-staff-will-work-free-labour-live/ …

Why would anybody volunteer? And why would an organisation have such a weird business model for commercial festivals? It’s hardly the free local village fete organised by the WI.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Where do you put the infrastructure for the border with Ireland? It's an absolutely absurd suggestion that would have simply brought all the fundamental problems with Brexit to a head much quicker, in a more febrile domestic political environment.

Populist, heal thyself.
    total guff as ever

the majority of trade passes over a handful of roads, the rest is just a simple enforcement matter. The vast majority of companies will comply with the law because that's what honest people do.

The crooks will try to exploit the border, but then theyre doing that today something that doesn't appear to worry you.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Minority government
    Lowest polls in ages
    Immigration scandal
    Diesel Scandal
    Italy
    Spain
    Brexit
    Trump

Spain?

They've swapped one pro-EU PM for another. And the party leading in the polls there is even more pro-EU.
    lets see how the currency markets react
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    As I have said several times, Brexit isn’t a policy, it’s a joke.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838
    felix said:

Well at least it detracts from their interns not getting paid.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Re the cricket at Headingley, the way the ball was moving around earlier I said 175 would be a competitive score.

Pakistan have 174.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

rcs1000 said:

I thought the Italians were more concerned with the illegal immigrants from North Africa and Albania?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Populist, heal thyself.
    total guff as ever

the majority of trade passes over a handful of roads, the rest is just a simple enforcement matter. The vast majority of companies will comply with the law because that's what honest people do.

The crooks will try to exploit the border, but then theyre doing that today something that doesn't appear to worry you.
    That doesn't make any difference. Think of the politics of the UK building just one customs post on a road between Ireland and Northern Ireland simply in order to attempt to blackmail the EU. On top of that, @rcs1000 is suggesting doing this while Obama was still President and the full weight of US diplomacy would have been behind Ireland and the EU's position.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

This is completely wrong. The EU's strategy has always been focused on the long term, from a position of understanding that a) the UK would always need the EU for as long as the EU exists, and b) anything decided during the Brexit process could create a precedent or playbook that could be used at some point in the future in circumstances that may not be so relatively benign.

The mistake that Brexiteers made was in treating the Brexit vote as final and not merely a point in time. The fact that Britain's long-term strategic interests align with those of the EU is precisely why they don't need to bend over backwards to accommodate Brexit. In the end, we have no other viable strategic option.
    The EU has three key priorities in the Brexit talks. In order of importance (to the EU) they are

1) Maintain a united front
    2) Ensure that the UK is seen to take an economic and political hit as a consequence of leaving and
    3) Agree a "good deal" (for the EU)

They have already achieved nos 1 and 2 far more successfully than many people expected, not least because of the obvious incompetence and disunity on the part of the UK government. They have not achieved 3, but 3 is less important to them than 2 - if the UK cannot offer a coherent position they will not be able to do a deal. This will have negative consequences for both sides, but they will be much more negative for the UK than the EU.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Populist, heal thyself.
    total guff as ever

That doesn't make any difference. Think of the politics of the UK building just one customs post on a road between Ireland and Northern Ireland simply in order to attempt to blackmail the EU. On top of that, @rcs1000 is suggesting doing this while Obama was still President and the full weight of US diplomacy would have been behind Ireland and the EU's position.
    I think rcs is correct on his
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

rcs1000 said:

Populist, heal thyself.
    total guff as ever

The EU have done a good job of framing any new "HARD" border as a problem from the Uk.

DD should be reiterating that the Uk has no plans for anything bar the existing cameras -

"EU build a fence if you want to... !" should be the Sun headline he's aiming for.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Minority government
    Lowest polls in ages
    Immigration scandal
    Diesel Scandal
    Italy
    Spain
    Brexit
    Trump

Spain?

The currency markets, I would venture, are more interested in

- the direction of US interest rates
    - a potential trade war
    and
    - Italy

I don't see Spain as a particular issue for the EU or Germany right now.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Minority government
    Lowest polls in ages
    Immigration scandal
    Diesel Scandal
    Italy
    Spain
    Brexit
    Trump

Spain?

The currency markets, I would venture, are more interested in

- the direction of US interest rates
    - a potential trade war
    and
    - Italy

I don't see Spain as a particular issue for the EU or Germany right now.
    if Italy gets away with it I cant see Spain still accepting austerity
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fenster said:

rcs1000 said:

I thought the Italians were more concerned with the illegal immigrants from North Africa and Albania?
    Both, apparently. I'd read they were struggling to accommodate 600,000 low skilled from Romania, a few hundred thousand from Albania and 750,000 displaced North Africans.

Taking the 'xenophobia' out of it, it must be a tough ask for a country to deal with such an influx. Particularly when the southern half of Italy is a relatively poor area of Europe.

You can understand the anger at the EU over its failure to help. Incidentally, it's British and Italian ships doing most of the rescue work in the Med.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    If only David Davis had been able to talk beforehand to the DUP members who are supporting the minority government.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

rcs1000 said:

Fenster said:

rcs1000 said:

Both, apparently. I'd read they were struggling to accommodate 600,000 low skilled from Romania, a few hundred thousand from Albania and 750,000 displaced North Africans.

Taking the 'xenophobia' out of it, it must be a tough ask for a country to deal with such an influx. Particularly when the southern half of Italy is a relatively poor area of Europe.

You can understand the anger at the EU over its failure to help. Incidentally, it's British and Italian ships doing most of the rescue work in the Med.
    The Italians have every right to be furious with the EU in general, and Germany in particular, regarding North African migrants.

Germany effectively left Italy with a huge problem.

That being said, I do find it interesting that Spain - which has a much healthier economy than Italy - manages to do a much better job of discouraging illegal immigration from North Africa.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    In other cheery news today - this tweet (but read the entire thread) explains Trump's worldview.

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1002502139367837702
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Sandpit said:

felix said:

Well at least it detracts from their interns not getting paid.
    More like a form of Absurdist theatre.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Utter rubbish. You are a highly intelligent guy and the son of Michael ‘The Don’ Smithson, but you sir clearly know nothing about Irish politics. Given a large proportion of the population of Ireland refuses to recognise Northern Ireland as an entity and considers the British to be illegally occupying a nation state, putting up any border infrastructure is likely to lead to a regression to the Troubles of the 1980s. You and your fellow Brexiteers should have thought about this before you launched your deranged project.
  • Options
    Will technology get us off the Northern Ireland hook?

"As Brexit looms, it's clear the tech to solve the Irish border problem is either untested or imaginary"
    http://www.wired.co.uk/article/irish-border-brexit-tech

... and we all know how successful large government technology projects have been.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Anazina said:

rcs1000 said:

Utter rubbish. You are a highly intelligent guy and the son of Michael ‘The Don’ Smithson, but you sir clearly know nothing about Irish politics. Given a large proportion of the population of Ireland refuses to recognise Northern Ireland as an entity and considers the British to be illegally occupying a nation state, putting up any border infrastructure is likely to lead to a regression to the Troubles of the 1980s. You and your fellow Brexiteers should have thought about this before you launched your deranged project.
    Hear! Hear!
  • Options

If only David Davis had been able to talk beforehand to the DUP members who are supporting the minority government.

No surrender to the DUP?

A bunch of deranged bigoted orangemen are running the country.

Brexit is a joke. A very bad, unfunny joke.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @RCS
    The Italians have every right to be furious with the EU in general, and Germany in particular, regarding North African migrants.

Germany effectively left Italy with a huge problem.

That being said, I do find it interesting that Spain - which has a much healthier economy than Italy - manages to do a much better job of discouraging illegal immigration from North Africa.

.........................................................................................

That is a very good point.

As an aside on human displacement, I'm a South Wales valley boy. Back in the mid 90s we had about a dozen young Bosnian men placed here. They didn't look in great shape and were housed in the old children's home in our village. The council gave them stamps (not money) to spend in the shops. It didn't take long before the older schoolkids sussed that the Bosnians could buy fags with their stamps (they weren't allowed to buy booze) which they could then sell to us schoolkids. We'd get fags at half price and they'd get converted cash. A splendid little racket.

It wasn't long before parents and villagers were up in arms about it, but I always marvelled at the power of survival instinct. Those poor boys couldn't speak a word of English, were penniless in an alien land, but within days had managed to set up a nice bit of business.

Us scally schoolkids were gutted when they were moved on :)
  • Options

"As Brexit looms, it's clear the tech to solve the Irish border problem is either untested or imaginary"

... and we all know how successful large government technology projects have been.

Hence why there wont be a border.

The Uk just needs to call the EU's bluff.
  • Options
    It's almost as though Cameron never thought he'd lose the referendum, so didn't plan for it and now Theresa doesn't think we'll actually leave and so isn't planning for it.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Of course there won't be a border. The bluff is leaving the single market and customs union.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Lovely stuff from our resident left wingers - hate poured down on a whole community.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

How does that work?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Anazina said:

No surrender to the DUP?

If Home Rule has gone ahead I have no doubt that all Ireland would still be part of the U.K. It’s certainly something to ponder in these unsettled times.
  • Options
    eek said:

In other cheery news today - this tweet (but read the entire thread) explains Trump's worldview.

Mercedes has ten US plants.

There's a certain irony that Trump has singled out the German car maker that is probably most committed to manufacturing in the US.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Anazina said:

Hate poured down on a whole community.
    A fair analysis of DUP attitudes to catholics, fair play.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

TGOHF said:

Anazina said:

Ah whataboutery - the debating stance of the clueless.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

No surrender to the DUP?

If Home Rule has gone ahead I have no doubt that all Ireland would still be part of the U.K. It’s certainly something to ponder in these unsettled times.
    Do you know anything about Ireland's history?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

There's a certain irony that Trump has singled out the German car maker that is probably most committed to manufacturing in the US.
    Clearly the answer is for them to licence the Trump brand and flatten out the top part of their logo so it looks like a T. A win-win, and he'd happily wipe out their competition.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

How does that work?
    Just don't build a hard border between Ulster and ROI.

If the EU wants to blow up its balance of trade advantage by blocking Calais then lets watch the lorries pile up across France.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

People who scream about how technology will fix a certain problem tend to be either not understand technology, or work for companies that want to make and sell the technology. Sadly, all too often the latter are snake-oil salesmen.

Witness all the current hysteria over how driverless cars will make all truck drivers redundant in ten years (c) SeanT. Here's a hint: no, they won't.

Therefore, if someone offers a technological solution to a problem, make sure that it exists and has been proven. If it does not exist, be very, very wary: it *may* work, but probably won't. And if it does, expect to pay much more than they initially promise.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

How does that work?

If the EU wants to blow up its balance of trade advantage by blocking Calais then lets watch the lorries pile up across France.
    If we diverge from the EU won't that make RoI / NI border a great place for smugglers?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Anazina said:

TGOHF said:

Anazina said:

Ah whataboutery - the debating stance of the clueless.
    Stay loyal

https://goo.gl/images/B7tqoc
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    What's DD playing at? Presumably the plan is to float an idea so ludicrous that thereafter remaining in the Customs Union seems the very encapsulation practicality and good sense. Trump's trade war has helped, making it all look a dark and friendless world out there. Theresa has looked at the Tory Leavers and realized she has to suck the lifeblood out of them.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

No surrender to the DUP?

Do you know anything about Ireland's history?
    Your starting point on PB is that the PB Leavers are entirely ignorant of it.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

How does that work?

If we diverge from the EU won't that make RoI / NI border a great place for smugglers?
    No worse than it is already, with petrol, alcohol, cigarettes all taxed differently, as well as different VAT rates on different products.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

rcs1000 said:

It would also be a breach of an international treaty (the GFA has the status of a treaty) on the part of the UK. How could the UK then convince the EU that it would abide by the terms of the withdrawal treaty?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Anazina said:

As I have said several times, Brexit isn’t a policy, it’s a joke.

If only.
    It's a kind of anti-Houdini situation wherein we see how tangled we can get.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Song, indeed, the complacency of Cameron and dithering (whether intentional to run down the clock, or not) of May is unimpressive.

Mr. rpjs, et al., if you believe terrorists ought to determine our policy, that's up to you. Personally, I'm not a fan of appeasing murderers, nor of those who seek to provoke as much discontent as possible to try and bolster their own political perspective.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Yes, that was a silly example to choose. I’d guess that only the high end S-class and AMG models sold in the US are made in Germany, Mercedes is quite likely to be a net exporter of cars from the US.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    eek said:

To a certain extent all transactions are a con:

https://mobile.twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1002502747206422529
This discussion has been closed.