Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov have run their very accurate constituency predictor on

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited June 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov have run their very accurate constituency predictor on the House elections in November

YouGov has run its MRP model on the US Congress. Midpoint gives the Democrats an overall majority of 3…https://t.co/nVYXoomaj1

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    First! Like Leave, Mrs May & NO.....
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited June 2018
    Second, like the Conservative led coalition of parties next time...

(hopefully!)

On topic: All very close but a more positive return than talk on here has indicated, although that could easily tighten even more as time goes on and tiny swings would make a big difference. The mid-terms seem to be hard work in the USA these days.

Edit: Hard work for the party in charge that is.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    I fail to see why on earth the Democratic Party gaining 26 seats leading to Speaker Pelosi should be considered 'alarming' for those betting on a Democratic Congress? It may not match the midterm avalanches of 2010, 1994 and 1974 but would still be the biggest Democratic gain of House seats since 2006 when the Democrats gained 31 seats to win control of Congress and indeed would be even bigger than the 21 gains the Democrats made in 2008 when Obama was elected.

Indeed with the Democrats also currently leading in Senate race polls in GOP held Tennessee and Nevada and Arizona while trailing only in Indiana and Montana of seats they currently hold it is even possible the Democrats could take the Senate too especially given Trump's still poor approval rating of 43%. No party has gained both the House and Senate in the President's first midterms since the GOP in 1994 and the first midterms of Bill Clinton
  • Options
    Didn't the YouGov model that got the UKGE result very close not come out nigh on polling day? I wonder what it would have shown 5 months out - we'll never know, because 5 months out we didn't know there would be a GE......but there's a lot of water to flow under the bridge between now & November.....assuming the US works out a way of paying Kim's bill at the Fullerton, and no one finds out......then of course there's Trump's trade war.....
  • Options
    FPT:

Britain is taking what a minister has described as an “active role” in shaping new EU value added tax regulations for the 2020s, suggesting the Treasury is planning for the UK to remain inside the bloc’s VAT area after the Brexit transition period.

In a letter seen by the Financial Times from Mel Stride, financial secretary to the Treasury, to Charlie Elphicke, MP for Dover, the minister also says: “The government aims to keep VAT processes after EU exit as close as possible to what they are now.”

If Britain seeks to remain inside the EU VAT area, it will continue to be bound by rules set in Brussels that are ultimately policed by the European Court of Justice, breaking one of Theresa May’s negotiating red lines.

https://www.ft.com/content/1de61f96-6736-11e8-8cf3-0c230fa67aec

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Interestingly Betfair seems to agree pretty much with the polling, it’s close to a dead heat with the Democrats very slight favourites.
    Dem Maj 1.84 1.85
    GOP Maj 2.1 2.2
    No Maj 160 320
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/event/27938931/market?marketId=1.131974989
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Didn't the YouGov model that got the UKGE result very close not come out nigh on polling day? I wonder what it would have shown 5 months out - we'll never know, because 5 months out we didn't know there would be a GE......but there's a lot of water to flow under the bridge between now & November.....assuming the US works out a way of paying Kim's bill at the Fullerton, and no one finds out......then of course there's Trump's trade war.....

I think part of the reason Trump won originally is because (to some) Hilary was some kind of cartoon bad guy representing the worst elements of the Democrats to potential Republican voters, added to the always Republican voters and the specific Trump motivated ones.

All 3 groups aren't as motivated now, the Trumps, as long as they are convinced to come out for his people are okay, as well as presumably the always republicans (some very small number not voting for current Republicans because of Trump maybe) it is the potential Republicans that might need more of a boost. Some negative Democrat news pieces and positive Republican ones can bring these people back home just need a friendly news cycle to remind people why even though they dislike many things about x they have some stuff going for them whereas y are just beyond reasonable.

The more difficult aspect is the much more motivated democrat base, it is probably much harder to negatively paint all the candidates in the same way they had done with Clinton. She had been something of a hate figure for some of the American right for years so there was serious groundwork there. Even a positive news cycle with the right messages to the right people will be coming up against a large motivated group of democrat voters who can just vote against the Republicans and for their vision of the Democrats.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    The Trump lawyers’ arguments would have made George III blush.

Though, to be fair, it represents the continuation of a trend started under Bush over the torture arguments (remember the Bybee memo ?)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,294
    Is this modelling untested in the US? There is a reference to the article to it having been attempted in 2016 but no indication how it worked out.

I tend to agree with @HYUFD that this forecast is very far from a bad result for the Dems. Those expecting some sort of annihilation based on revulsion of the Donald were always going to be disappointed. The fairly disgraceful redistricting and the huge advantages of incumbency in the US was always going to make this more of a challenge than was being suggested too. November is a long way off but the Senate still looks out of range to me.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    Nigelb said:

Though, to be fair, it represents the continuation of a trend started under Bush over the torture arguments (remember the Bybee memo ?)

Why George III particularly?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited June 2018

FPT:

Britain is taking what a minister has described as an “active role” in shaping new EU value added tax regulations for the 2020s, suggesting the Treasury is planning for the UK to remain inside the bloc’s VAT area after the Brexit transition period.

In a letter seen by the Financial Times from Mel Stride, financial secretary to the Treasury, to Charlie Elphicke, MP for Dover, the minister also says: “The government aims to keep VAT processes after EU exit as close as possible to what they are now.”

If Britain seeks to remain inside the EU VAT area, it will continue to be bound by rules set in Brussels that are ultimately policed by the European Court of Justice, breaking one of Theresa May’s negotiating red lines.

That’s a bit of a stretch of logic

If they hadn’t taken an active role they wouldnt be doing their job
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    DavidL said:

Is this modelling untested in the US? There is a reference to the article to it having been attempted in 2016 but no indication how it worked out.

I tend to agree with @HYUFD that this forecast is very far from a bad result for the Dems. Those expecting some sort of annihilation based on revulsion of the Donald were always going to be disappointed. The fairly disgraceful redistricting and the huge advantages of incumbency in the US was always going to make this more of a challenge than was being suggested too. November is a long way off but the Senate still looks out of range to me.

I think you're right about the Senate.
    From 538:
    "The 2018 Senate map is bad, even “brutal,” for Democrats. Of the 35 seats on the ballot this cycle, 26 are held by senators who caucus with the Democrats, and just nine are held by Republicans. Democrats must flip two of those nine — without losing any seats of their own — in order to take a Senate majority. "

"The Senate isn’t just biased toward Republicans; it’s really biased toward Republicans. Going by partisan lean, there are 31 states more Republican-leaning than the nation as a whole compared with just 19 states more Democratic-leaning. Because each state has two senators, that means 62 Senate seats (a filibuster-proof supermajority) are Republican-leaning and 38 are Democratic-leaning."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    DavidL said:

The much more interesting question to me is whether the Dems make progress down ticket, in state senates, in Governors mansions, and in other key positions. The New Yorker article about Oklahoma was interesting, with Democrats putting up twice as many candidates as they did last time around.

The danger for the Republicans is that as the state congresses flip, then gerrymandering moves from being a Republican hobby to a Democrat one.
  • Options

DavidL said:

From 538:
    "The 2018 Senate map is bad, even “brutal,” for Democrats. Of the 35 seats on the ballot this cycle, 26 are held by senators who caucus with the Democrats, and just nine are held by Republicans. Democrats must flip two of those nine — without losing any seats of their own — in order to take a Senate majority. "

"The Senate isn’t just biased toward Republicans; it’s really biased toward Republicans. Going by partisan lean, there are 31 states more Republican-leaning than the nation as a whole compared with just 19 states more Democratic-leaning. Because each state has two senators, that means 62 Senate seats (a filibuster-proof supermajority) are Republican-leaning and 38 are Democratic-leaning."
    Yes, there are more naturally Republican States then naturally Republican voters. A lot of the Dem Senate seats up for grabs are in in areas that voted heavily for Trump in 2016, having been last contested in 2012 on the same day Obama was re-elected. Betfair’s 1.4 on a Republican Majority Senate is probably still value.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/event/27938931/market?marketId=1.131974987
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

The much more interesting question to me is whether the Dems make progress down ticket, in state senates, in Governors mansions, and in other key positions. The New Yorker article about Oklahoma was interesting, with Democrats putting up twice as many candidates as they did last time around.

The danger for the Republicans is that as the state congresses flip, then gerrymandering moves from being a Republican hobby to a Democrat one.
    That seems unlikely to me for the reasons that @logical_song points out. The vast number of small, ultra conservative States in the middle of the US is always likely to give the Republicans the majority of states in which to gerrymander to their heart's content. The Dems may pick up some swing states on the coasts and maybe even the north west but they won't get a majority.

A system which gives California (pop35.2m) the same number of Senators as North Dakota (pop 758k) is frankly weird. Why the US is so proud of their Constitution is an unending mystery to me.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

From 538:

Yes, there are more naturally Republican States then naturally Republican voters. A lot of the Dem Senate seats up for grabs are in in areas that voted heavily for Trump in 2016, having been last contested in 2012 on the same day Obama was re-elected. Betfair’s 1.4 on a Republican Majority Senate is probably still value.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/event/27938931/market?marketId=1.131974987
    Huge, fill your boots value.

Missouri, North Dakota, West Virginia, Florida, Indiana, Montana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania are all states won by Trump where Democrats are defending this year.

Of these, perhaps only Pennsylvania looks genuinely safe for the Dems.

Now, the Dems should flip Nevada, where demographics are in their favour, and there are outside chances in Arizona, Tennessee and - possibly - Texas. But given the Republicans are in control of the Senate right now, 1.4 on them to hold it looks excellent value,
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

That seems unlikely to me for the reasons that @logical_song points out. The vast number of small, ultra conservative States in the middle of the US is always likely to give the Republicans the majority of states in which to gerrymander to their heart's content. The Dems may pick up some swing states on the coasts and maybe even the north west but they won't get a majority.

A system which gives California (pop35.2m) the same number of Senators as North Dakota (pop 758k) is frankly weird. Why the US is so proud of their Constitution is an unending mystery to me.
    I don't disagree with anything you say.

My point is that the Dems have been hammered down ticket in many states across the US, and this has led to a gerrymandered House of Representatives. Will any of these states see Dems make progress at a state level?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Sandpit said:

Yes, there are more naturally Republican States then naturally Republican voters.

As an aside, I can't agree with your comment.

I think there are at least 50 naturally Republican voters.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Totally O/t but watching the Very English Scandal last night, and the Tom Mangold production afterwards, I was struck by the thought that Thorpe was one of the few people who came across as a better human being as a politician than as a man!
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

FPT:

All good stuff. We don't want rejoining to be the dog's breakfast that leaving is shaping up to be.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    edited June 2018
    Good morning, everyone.

Hmm. Could be interesting.

Easton's segment on polling Englishness was a bit concise. He also started south, then went more south, then more south, but I think there are more bits and pieces coming so hopefully he'll manage to discover the north before then. Lower percentages describing themselves as English the more southerly one goes is unsurprising.

I was amused by the student who specifically cited Richard the Lionheart (as a bad example). It'd be good to know if that was off his own bat or her was led that way. Using a 12th century man to try and exemplify a 21st century identity is not necessarily wise, and if he were after a positive example he could've easily cited Alfred the Great or Edward III.

Edited extra bit: only skimmed this, have other stuff to do, but the map is nice. Essentially, the further away from London you are, the more English you're likely to be/feel.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

From 538:

Missouri, North Dakota, West Virginia, Florida, Indiana, Montana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania are all states won by Trump where Democrats are defending this year.

Now, the Dems should flip Nevada, where demographics are in their favour, and there are outside chances in Arizona, Tennessee and - possibly - Texas. But given the Republicans are in control of the Senate right now, 1.4 on them to hold it looks excellent value,
    I like the bet to lay Democratic control at 9. Independents don't count to their required total - which essentially means the Dems would need to win all tossups and probably Texas also.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Precisely because North Dakota has interests that are very different to California and need to be protected.

In an EU context, for example, it would give say Greece more power to stand up to Germany
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

My point is that the Dems have been hammered down ticket in many states across the US, and this has led to a gerrymandered House of Representatives. Will any of these states see Dems make progress at a state level?
    West Virginia, Indiana, Montana, Missouri, North Dakota were all won by vast margins by Trump, in 2016, and his rating is only down 3% since then. All the sitting Senators could hugely outperform the generic Democratic vote in those States, and still lose.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Totally O/t but watching the Very English Scandal last night, and the Tom Mangold production afterwards, I was struck by the thought that Thorpe was one of the few people who came across as a better human being as a politician than as a man!

Guilty as sin
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

West Virginia, Indiana, Montana, Missouri, North Dakota were all won by vast margins by Trump, in 2016, and his rating is only down 3% since then. All the sitting Senators could hugely outperform the generic Democratic vote in those States, and still lose.

I AGREE 100%

My posts are about DOWN TICKET Democrats. I.e., will they make progress in state legislatures and senates?
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Precisely because North Dakota has interests that are very different to California and need to be protected.

In an EU context, for example, it would give say Greece more power to stand up to Germany
    Maybe the EU will move to something more like the US model eventually. The two Senate seats per state always strikes me as a strength, while the ability of the controlling party in each state to fix the Congressional district boundaries is a glaring weakness.
  • Options
    No one on Twitter understands Target-2.

I am, therefore, retiring to bed.

Play nicely children.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Charles said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Maybe the EU will move to something more like the US model eventually. The two Senate seats per state always strikes me as a strength, while the ability of the controlling party in each state to fix the Congressional district boundaries is a glaring weakness.
    The US Senate is an undemocratic monstrosity. Would California's interests suddenly become more legitimate if it was a North California and a South California? There is absolutely no reason why the Great Plains should have 10 times as much representation just because it is split into a bunch of states via arbitrary borders.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    Parish notice.

I’m going to be rather busy today so if anything major happens I’m not ignoring it.

The afternoon thread has been written well in advance and is scheduled to be auto published.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I AGREE 100%

My posts are about DOWN TICKET Democrats. I.e., will they make progress in state legislatures and senates?
    They made surprisingly little progress down ticket in 2012, despite winning the Presidency and gaining in the Senate. They must surely gain seats, but it doesn't look like a wave. New Hampshire, Minnesota, Colorado (State Senate) and Maine look like their best bets.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Play nicely children.

You could direct them towards PB. We have had several discussions about it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Why George III particularly?
    Wasn't his little disagreement with the colonies over the matter of excessive and unchecked executive power, and the Constitution written explicitly to prevent such in the future ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    rcs1000 said:

The New Yorker article about Oklahoma was interesting, with Democrats putting up twice as many candidates as they did last time around.

Having worked with Okies, I somehow doubt that twice the Democrat candidates will translate into twice the representatives.....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

From 538:

Are odds of 1.4 ever 'huge, fill your boots value' unless the outcome is a certainty ?
    Although a Democrat Senate is unlikely this time around, US politics is right now sufficiently febrile to confound such confident predictions.
  • Options

Charles said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Agree on all three counts
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Play nicely children.

Isn't your duty rather to stay up and educate them ?
    :smile:
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Is there anyone, anywhere, who's modelled (roughly) what the House of Representatives might look like if it wasn't gerrymandered?

In other words, fair seats nationwide with a boundaries commission?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Play nicely children.

You could direct them towards PB. We have had several discussions about it.
    You crazy? We have a nice time on here
  • Options
    edited June 2018
  • Options
    F1: gossip, apparently Coulthard reckons Hamilton will quite F1 in 2020.

If accurate, may influence Mercedes' decision on their other driver.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Elliot said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

The US Senate is an undemocratic monstrosity. Would California's interests suddenly become more legitimate if it was a North California and a South California? There is absolutely no reason why the Great Plains should have 10 times as much representation just because it is split into a bunch of states via arbitrary borders.
    hmmm

the UK which wont reform its own electoral boundaries is hardly in a position to lecture them
  • Options

Is there anyone, anywhere, who's modelled (roughly) what the House of Representatives might look like if it wasn't gerrymandered?

In overall terms, it would quite similar to what it is now (maybe 235-200 or so). But, some of the State level results would be markedly different. Two things work against the Democrats, even without gerrymandering.

1. The increasing concentration of their voters in big cities, where they pile up useless majorities,
    2. The requirement for majority/minority districts, which also produces useless majorities.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335

Broadly, at the moment the Democrats would do better (+20 or so, IIRC). That reflects greater gOP control of states rather than greater virtue in not gerrymandering. I believe California almost uniquely has fair independent boundary-setting - decided by a referendum, I think?

I agree with Elliot that the way the states are represented is absurd - one of those historical anomalies like the Lords. The practical effect is to benefit rural areas, which generally means the Republicans.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Good morning, everyone.

Hmm. Could be interesting.

Easton's segment on polling Englishness was a bit concise. He also started south, then went more south, then more south, but I think there are more bits and pieces coming so hopefully he'll manage to discover the north before then. Lower percentages describing themselves as English the more southerly one goes is unsurprising.

I was amused by the student who specifically cited Richard the Lionheart (as a bad example). It'd be good to know if that was off his own bat or her was led that way. Using a 12th century man to try and exemplify a 21st century identity is not necessarily wise, and if he were after a positive example he could've easily cited Alfred the Great or Edward III.

Edited extra bit: only skimmed this, have other stuff to do, but the map is nice. Essentially, the further away from London you are, the more English you're likely to be/feel.

So the further away from London the more likely you are to be living in the past.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Sean_F said:

In overall terms, it would quite similar to what it is now (maybe 235-200 or so). But, some of the State level results would be markedly different. Two things work against the Democrats, even without gerrymandering.

1. The increasing concentration of their voters in big cities, where they pile up useless majorities,
    2. The requirement for majority/minority districts, which also produces useless majorities.
    That second point is quite funny really.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

There's a rumour that McLaren might start running an IRL team. I wonder if Lewis would be up for that?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Elliot said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Is this modelling untested in the US? There is a reference to the article to it having been attempted in 2016 but no indication how it worked out

hmmm

the UK which wont reform its own electoral boundaries is hardly in a position to lecture them
    Mr Brooke - latest news is that the DUP are on board and the boundary changes look set to pass the HoC.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,094
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Though the Democrats held the Senate from 2010 to 2014 even after having lost the House
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Though the Democrats held the Senate from 2010 to 2014 even after having lost the House
    That was mainly due to the Republicans nominating witches and those with strange views on rape.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Currently the Democratic candidate leads the latest poll in West Virginia, Missouri and North Dakota, only trailing in Indiana and Montana.

In West Virginia it helps that Senator Manchin, the Democratic candidate, is more socially conservative than many Republicans
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Scott_P said:
    As we've learned with May permanence in a tough role does not mean high quality exists, however even with Cameron not shuffling much it is impressive Hunt has lasted since 2012. Considering how vital an area it is, how emotional, he seems to have done ok with a department where it only ever seems to be bad news. He doesn't even seem as widely hated as I'd have thought all health secretaries woukd be.
  • Options
    Mr. Fenman, you're aware that England exists? Do you think Yorkshiremen live doubly in the past?

You, sir, are a silly sausage.

Mr. 86, Coutlhard's view was that Hamilton could embark upon a musical career.

Mr. kle4, indeed. Honorius was emperor for quite some time. And he was bloody awful. Agree on Hunt, mind.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    As we've learned with May permanence in a tough role does not mean high quality exists, however even with Cameron not shuffling much it is impressive Hunt has lasted since 2012. Considering how vital an area it is, how emotional, he seems to have done ok with a department where it only ever seems to be bad news. He doesn't even seem as widely hated as I'd have thought all health secretaries woukd be.
    He still has to survive the report of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards into his property dealings though
  • Options

Elliot said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

The much more interesting question to me is whether the Dems make progress down round.

That seems unlikely to me the middle of the US is always likely to give the Republicans the majority of states in which to gerrymander to their heart's content. The Dems may pick up some swing states on the coasts and maybe even the north west but they won't get a majority.

hmmm

The UK isn't, Elliott was, and even if the UK did and has its own issues, is it worse? If not, it could still point out the flaws even as it isn't perfect.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Democrat one.

hmmm

The unreformed boundaries in the UK are still far superior to the Senate or the House.

I don't think people truly appreciate how messed up the US has become. Much of the media is active propaganda, especially on the conservative side, lobbyist money controls the whole system, regulators are run by the industries they 'regulate', the Senate is grossly unrepresentative, and the House and state legislatures are actively rigged. Trump is a symptom of the malfunction more than he is a cure.

It is a terrible thing for the future of democracy worldwide that the most visible example of it is such a perverted version.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    He still has to survive the report of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards into his property dealings though
    He might he brought down - my initial reaction was his excuses were lame to say the least - but that's a side issue to having done well to last so long and not be universally hated (I'm sure plenty do hate him, but I don't see that he is the focus of a lot).

Whether he lasts much longer or can go further is a different matter. At present it seems like Javid is stealing the show as potential successor.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, there are more naturally Republican States then naturally Republican voters.

As an aside, I can't agree with your comment.

I think there are at least 50 naturally Republican voters.
    There are more than 50 naturally Republican Senators ;)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

That seems unlikely to me for the reasons that @logical_song points out is so proud of their Constitution is an unending mystery to me.

I AGREE 100%

They made surprisingly little progress down ticket in 2012, despite winning the Presidency and gaining in the Senate. They must surely gain seats, but it doesn't look like a wave. New Hampshire, Minnesota, Colorado (State Senate) and Maine look like their best bets.
    In 2012 though the GOP held the House despite Obama beating Romney.

In 2006, the last time the Democrats gained the House, they won 28 out of 36 governorships and 23 state legislatures to the Republicans 17 with 9 NOC so if the Democrats gain the House again they will be hoping for a similar result down ballot at state level as well as Federal level

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_elections,_2006
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302
    Scott_P said:
    Many of us on here would rather he stopped being the longest serving health secretary and got a move on with becoming next PM/leader of the Cons.
  • Options

Mr. Fenman, you're aware that England exists? Do you think Yorkshiremen live doubly in the past?

You, sir, are a silly sausage.

Mr. 86, Coutlhard's view was that Hamilton could embark upon a musical career.

M.

I'm surprised - Hamilton seems to have that obsession to be regarded as the best that many champions do, I'd assume he'd keep going as long as possible.

As for a new career, perhaps he is very good, but it seems sometimes a lot of famous people on one area wish they were famous in another, usually music, and usually don't do so well. The transition to acting from another field seems to work better
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Does he?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44300559
    Jeremy Hunt will face no further action over property complaint
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    He might he brought down - my initial reaction was his excuses were lame to say the least - but that's a side issue to having done well to last so long and not be universally hated (I'm sure plenty do hate him, but I don't see that he is the focus of a lot).

Whether he lasts much longer or can go further is a different matter. At present it seems like Javid is stealing the show as potential successor.
    Javid and Davidson even Mourdaunt were tipped by Adam Boulton in the ST yesterday as having now overtaken Hunt as the main alternatives to Boris and Mogg to become next Tory leader
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I think he is maybe the most hated health secretary ever?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    In a federal system, the two senators per state rule makes absolute sense. It also makes sense for states to draw up their on constituency boundaries. The abuse of that is, of course, shocking. It’s also worth remembering that most laws affecting Americans on a day to day level are made at the state level. Minnesota and Texas are basically two different countries - and not only in terms of the weather.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

The much more interesting question to me is whether andidates as they did last time around.

That seems unlikely to me for the reasons that @logical_song points out is so proud of their Constitution is an unending mystery to me.

I AGREE 100%

In 2006, the last time the Democrats gained the House, they won 28 out of 36 governorships and 23 state legislatures to the Republicans 17 with 9 NOC so if the Democrats gain the House again they will be hoping for a similar result down ballot at state level as well as Federal level

Several Southern legislatures were still Democratic then, which won't be the case now.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Morning all,

Boris to be out of Cabinet over Heathrow?
  • Options
    edited June 2018

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Does he?
    I see that still ruled he breached the MPs code of conduct, even if it was at the less serious end so no further action will be taken difficult to launch a leadership campaign on the back of that
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

The much more interesting question to me is whether andidates as they did last time around.

West Virginia, Indiana, Montana, Missouri, North Dakota were all won by vast mar.

I AGREE 100%

Several Southern legislatures were still Democratic then, which won't be the case now.
    Given Alabama has just elected a Democratic Senator and a Democrat leads the Senate race in Tennessee and even Hillary won Virginia I would not be certain no state legislatures in the South could go Democratic
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    rkrkrk said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Dr Foxy has said he's not the worst health secretary we've ever had, but I do not know if there are stats on how much he is hated. If a poll says he is the most hates then frankly I will be very surprised - if he was so widely hated I feel like he'd be personally much more of a focus of the opposition. Yes no doubt they mention him, but it doesn't feel like much. I don't even know who his shadow counterpart is.

I don't get that impression, and the department is one where bad news always comes and yet the biggest threat to his position is not anything he's done on that, but a personal matter. If he was hated more he'd be more well known I think, when he's actually pretty low key is my impression.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Does he?
    I see that still ruled he breached the MPs code of conduct, even if it was at the less serious end so no further action will be taken difficult to launch a leadership campaign on the back of that
    So you think he hasn't survived it? He died pretty quietly!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    rkrkrk said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I wouldn't say most hated.

Hunts biggest problem is his limited budget, but his actual competence is not much worse than most Health Secretaries.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, I don't focus much on off-track stuff, but Hamilton has shown an interest in music for a long time (I'm pretty sure he plays the piano) and suggestions he might go into the industry after F1 have been around for years.

Also, he was, along with Alonso, noisily condemning the Monaco procession. And he's been around since 2007, which is a fair whack.

He could stay for years, but if he chose to go sooner it'd not be a huge shock. Of course, with F1 losing audience numbers due to short-sighted pay TV deals, which are also driving down sponsor interest and making life even harder for the teams, losing the sport's megastar won't help.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Hunts biggest problem is his limited budget, but his actual competence is not much worse than most Health Secretaries.

The Tories need to find someone who can break the current Labour voting alliance - that fragile mix of Remainers, anti-Tories and Corbyn-worshippers. Like Johnson, Gove and Rees Mogg, Hunt would keep it together, precisely because he’s so identified with the NHS. The Tories can rely on Corbyn to deliver them the most seats in a hung Parliament, but to get a decent working majority they will need to find a next generation leader who is not currently in the Cabinet.

• Options

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

The Tories need to find someone who can break the current Labour voting alliance - that fragile mix of Remainers, anti-Tories and Corbyn-worshippers. Like Johnson, Gove and Rees Mogg, Hunt would keep it together, precisely because he’s so identified with the NHS. The Tories can rely on Corbyn to deliver them the most seats in a hung Parliament, but to get a decent working majority they will need to find a next generation leader who is not currently in the Cabinet.

They need to take a gamble. Not easy for parties to do.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    edited June 2018

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

They will also have to have demonstrable progress on housing and moving on from austerity.

No sign whatsoever of the former.

The latter, well maybe a bit with next month's 70th NHS spending announcement.
  • Options
    The NHS funding situation might be a little better if Brown hadn't gone PFI mad. It's all very well necking your own body weight in beer, but you might just end up with a hangover.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    There is that - but as we saw with May's long tenure at the Home Office, it might just indicate a great ability to paper over the cracks.

There is, however, talk of a new long term funding settlement for the NHS... let's see how that pans out.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    As we've learned with May permanence in a tough role does not mean ea it is, how emotional, he seems to have done ok with a department where it only ever seems to be bad news. He doesn't even seem as widely hated as I'd have thought all health secretaries woukd be.
    There is that - but as we saw with May's long tenure at the Home Office, it might just indicate a great ability to paper over the cracks.

There is, however, talk of a new long term funding settlement for the NHS... let's see how that pans out.
    I'm calling it now...it won't be seen as enough. It never is.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, it wouldn't be enough under normal circumstances. With Corbyn's deranged brand of socialism, he'll be promising the moon on a stick.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rkrkrk said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Dr Foxy has said he's not the worst health secretary we've ever had, but I do not know if there are stats on how much he is hated. If a poll says he is the most hates then frankly I will be very surprised - if he was so widely hated I feel like he'd be personally much more of a focus of the opposition. Yes no doubt they mention him, but it doesn't feel like much. I don't even know who his shadow counterpart is.

I don't get that impression, and the department is one where bad news always comes and yet the biggest threat to his position is not anything he's done on that, but a personal matter. If he was hated more he'd be more well known I think, when he's actually pretty low key is my impression.
    I don't think he's the worst ever - but I think he might be the most hated. IMO he has been given an absolute hospital pass by Tory chancellors and his predecessor's dog's dinner of a health reform. I agree it's a very difficult thing to measure.

I think the case for him being the most hated rests on:
    first ever all-out doctors strike, various reports saying morale is low/at a record low
    (this seems to be less clear-cut)
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/nhs-doctors-morale-gmc-report-specialising-state-of-medicine-general-medical-council-working-a7382606.html

This suggests he polled worse than Lansley: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-hunt-is-the-most-disliked-frontline-british-politician-of-any-party-a-new-poll-shows-a6874846.html
  • Options

Possibly, but I think he sees a shot at Schumacher’s 7 titles record.

If Mercedes can replace Bottas with Ricciardo they should though, he’s five years younger than Lewis and can lead the team for the next decade.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    rcs1000 said:

Play nicely children.

A bit like quantum physics, if you aren't terrified by Target 2, that is because you don't understand it.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

They will also have to have demonstrable progress on housing and moving on from austerity.

No sign whatsoever of the former.

The latter, well maybe a bit with next month's 70th NHS spending announcement.
    Tell that to the Epping Forest residents complaining about the 11 000 new homes proposed in the Local Plan and it is a similar story across the home counties, the Tories are pushing more housing it is the LDs who are the NIMBYs
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I agree. If Mercedes have the choice and opt for Bottas over Ricciardo, that's just daft.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    As we've learned with May permanence in a tough role does not mean ea it is, how emotional, he seems to have done ok with a department where it only ever seems to be bad news. He doesn't even seem as widely hated as I'd have thought all health secretaries woukd be.

If we doubled health spending, it would not be seen as enough.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

There's a rumour that McLaren might start running an IRL team. I wonder if Lewis would be up for that?
    I think Hamilton and Alonso will both spend their F1 retirements in the US, where good drivers can continue to earn the big bucks well into their fifties. Not until they’re definitely out of F1 contention though.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

He's clearly a talented man, with a successful business career and was widely viewed as having done a good job on the Olympics. But I think he is very much hated.

Who do you think was a more hated health secretary?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nigelb said:

Yes, 'sane' Republicans who are anti-Trump have to go through a lot of contrition as to explain why they supported Bush's massive executive over reach.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

If we doubled health spending, it would not be seen as enough.
    In my view, Jeremy Hunt doesn’t get enough credit for his efforts.

My local surgery has just started last month (for the first time) doing evening and Saturday appointments. I can now see a doctor until 8pm Monday to Friday, and 1pm on Saturdays.

And, there is also now an online eConsult surgery where you can consult your doctor online and get feedback and prescriptions within 24-48 hours.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    Many of us on here would rather he stopped being the longest serving health secretary and got a move on with becoming next PM/leader of the Cons.
    Many of us on here would rather he stopped being the longest serving health secretary and moved with his buddies over to the opposition benches. Then the NHS might stand a chance.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    Scott_P said:
    He inherited an NHS in pretty rude health. Its state is anything but that now. His tenure of adult social care has also been an utter disaster.

• Options
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Democrat one.

hmmm

The unreformed boundaries in the UK are still far superior to the Senate or the House.

I don't think people truly appreciate how messed up the US has become. Much of the media is active propaganda, especially on the conservative side, lobbyist money controls the whole system, regulators are run by the industries they 'regulate', the Senate is grossly unrepresentative, and the House and state legislatures are actively rigged. Trump is a symptom of the malfunction more than he is a cure.

It is a terrible thing for the future of democracy worldwide that the most visible example of it is such a perverted version.
    After the ‘hanging chads’ fiasco in 2000 Robert Mugabe offered to advise the US on democracy, which, IIRC, the US felt ‘insulting’.

TBH, it didn’t seem such a bad idea.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    I expect it's mutual, still rather unprofessional to actually say so.
This discussion has been closed.