Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonght’s Local By-Election Preview by Harry Hayfield

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited April 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonght’s Local By-Election Preview by Harry Hayfield

Darlington (the constituency that Labour won in a by-election just prior to the 1983 general election, only to see it go to the Conservatives at that election), is the sort of area that shows what a problem the Conservatives have in the North of England. At the 1983 general election, there were a total of eight seats in the North (four of them in Northumberland).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    This is a local election for local people! There's nothing for you here!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clips/p006vm6j/the_league_of_gentlemen_a_local_shop_for_local_people/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    I must say that the Daily Mash have really been outdoing themselves over all this Thatcher news. Some very funny stories over recent days.

"THE BBC’s live coverage of Baroness Thatcher’s funeral next week has been slammed for its bias, incompetence and lack of respect.

Critics of the corporation have accused it of exploiting the linear nature of time to disguise yet another disaster.

Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre said: “The BBC has shown spectacular arrogance, thinking it can get away with monumental failings simply because they have yet to occur"

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/bbc-coverage-of-thatchers-funeral-pre-emptively-slammed-2013041165371
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Why such affinity for Independents in western Wales?
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited April 2013
    Are the independents 'Little-Englanders" in Pembrokeshire...?
  • Options
    I see Boris is falling into the same ridiculous arguments as Archbishop Cranmer's blog and his 'Cranmer's law', by attempting to create a moral difference between political cliques to explain why their side are the real victims you guys, for realsies.

"This makes me think that there is an interesting psychological difference between left-wingers and right-wingers. On the whole, right-wingers are prepared to indulge left-wingers on the grounds that they may be wrong and misguided but are still perfectly nice. Lefties, on the other hand, are much more likely to think right-wingers are genuinely evil."

When it comes to Thatcher, the tendency to cry 'evil' does indeed appear more frequently, but many other issues do not provoke such reactions as much. But rightwingers are reasonable and nice, and left wingers are inherently more predisposed towards irrational dislike and hatred of their opponents?

What self-important, self-indulgent drivel.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/04/staggers-envy-being-rejected-martin-amis-and-why-left-hated-maggie-so-much
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Thanks, Harry for the continued updates and round-up.

As I missed Mike's previous thread, a belated comment:

I don't think that poll's too bad for Cameron. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the wording, comparing Thatcher to Diana or the Queen Mother, had been written by the Mirror with the express intention of producing an unfavourable result for the decision. That's not having a go at the pollster. Their job is to accurately find the result of a particular question, not to ensure there's no loading or bias. It's highly likely that had the reference to the two royals been replaced by references to, say, Gladstone and Churchill, there'd have been a quite marked shift towards a positive response.

As it is, level pegging's not a bad outcome given the actual wording. Fwiw, I'm fairly ambivalent about the idea, and not that keen on ceremonial or state funerals for non-royals for all but the rarest of exceptions - where does one draw the line? Anyway, I doubt there'll be much of a lasting impact either way on current polling so I'm not sure there is a 'wrong' decision from that angle.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    We were in Aylesbury this evening for a pizza. Outside a coffee shop a UKIP rally was winding down. Nigel Farage was his jovial self, putting it jovially about in mustard yellow trousers and a sort of fedora. I doubt he's a stayer, but is, I expect, a boon fellow to share a few drinks. And he is making a valid point for many.

A couple of Green party guys were in the square looking for interest, but not getting much I think. My remark that I didn't own a car got, off the bat, only a fishy-eyed blink.
  • Options
    Toms said:

We were in Aylesbury this evening for a pizza. Outside a coffee shop a UKIP rally was winding down. Nigel Farage was his jovial self, putting it jovially about in mustard yellow trousers and a sort of fedora. I doubt he's a stayer, but is, I expect, a boon fellow to share a few drinks. And he is making a valid point for many.

I think Farage may, if all things go UKIPs way, be more the sort without the skills to take them onwards after an initial breakthrough, even though they would likely not have made it (if they do) without him. Perhaps more a Julius Ceasar than an Augustus, setting the stage which someone else ended up finishing and reaping larger benefits of.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. T, you could do something about freedom of speech being curtailed rather than enhanced by technology.

Two guys at a conference making jokes about women reps and dongles were overheard by a third woman, who publicised their private remarks widely. Both men were fired, and the woman herself then got the sack after all the negative publicity.

Only today some chap called Orth (Microsoft executive) resigned (not sure if that's 'resigned' or resigned) after making very ill-received comments about people needing to 'deal with it' if the next Xbox is always-online (for a variety of reasons that's insane).

Or you could just refer to the way that an MP was investigated for calling a man unkempt and seemingly harmless remarks on Twitter (an irate man joking about blowing up Robin Hood airport, for example) have led to police action.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    FYI typo in the title.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2013
    SeanT said:

I've got a new Telegraph blog to write. Anyone got any burning ideas? Something they want to get off their chest?

Perhaps tim has an opinion on the political and electoral merits of Geo Osborne which I could relay.

Why not do one on famous last words, speculating on Maggie's and advising readers to prepare theirs in advance when compos mentis?

Make it a play between the bathos of animal reality and the idealism of myth creation.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I've got a new Telegraph blog to write. Anyone got any burning ideas? Something they want to get off their chest?

Perhaps tim has an opinion on the political and electoral merits of Geo Osborne which I could relay.

You should write about naming Boris Island Airport, Thatcher International. Your two loves rolled into one.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I 've enough difficulty finding my own topics, never mind ones for someone else!
  • Options
    anthonyzachanthonyzach Posts: 1
    edited April 2013

"I think Farage may, if all things go UKIPs way, be more the sort without the skills to take them onwards after an initial breakthrough, even though they would likely not have made it (if they do) without him. Perhaps more a Julius Ceasar than an Augustus, setting the stage which someone else ended up finishing and reaping larger benefits of."

Yes, the leaders who destroyed a republican system of government and replaced it with a personal dictatorship - something to look forward to if UKIP come to power then...

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

SeanT said:

I 've enough difficulty finding my own topics, never mind ones for someone else!
    Indeed David. Maybe if Sean was to share his lavish Telegraph fee??

• Options
    edited April 2013

"I think Farage may, if all things go UKIPs way, be more the sort without the skills to take them onwards after an initial breakthrough, even though they would likely not have made it (if they do) without him. Perhaps more a Julius Ceasar than an Augustus, setting the stage which someone else ended up finishing and reaping larger benefits of."

Yes, the leaders who destroyed a republican system of government and replaced it with a personal dictatorship - something to look forward to if UKIP come to power then...

I was thinking more that his leadership might see them gain some MPs, but he will be unable to control them effectively or build on it, and so will be replaced and remembered more as a flawed icon as others turn them into what they will become but deny for now (that is, just another party, like any other), but whatever floats your boat I guess.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited April 2013
    I don't think---although sometimes sorely tempted---to wish death on anyone. Yet death comes to all.
    hmm. Is the recent case of a certain (male) hors categorie arschloch a special case? No, I guess.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    SeanT said:

How about writing a piece on tax avoidance in the channel islands? We could take bets on how long your blog lasts.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

Running out of ideas already? Oh dear.

How about following up your advocacy of heroin for the elderly with an ALP type hymn to the wisdom of George. For a contraversalist must be rather tempting.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Hey Harry this my patch and the result could be very close. The previous councillor was a Tory who switched to thevIndies with the lure of a well paid cabinet post. None of the candidates have a high profile and Harvey can prolly be discounted as he lives well upside the area. Possibly a Tory win in this rural seat but I would not out my money on it. Even a close third would e a good result for Labour in a seat they have never contested before. Anything but an Indie win will mean a hung council 30/30.again a first for Pembs as the Indies have always been in control.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    SeanT said:

The Mormons. They actually preach self-reliance.

http://www.providentliving.org/?lang=eng

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9984600/British-Mormons-take-on-The-Book-of-Mormon.html
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Maybe you could link your recent trip to the Maldives with Global Warming? The islands are supposed to be about to be inundated, aren't they? Supposed to...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited April 2013
    Sean, perhaps you should do a blog about how electoral reform could boost turnout.

Do multiple blog entries on various electoral systems and their merits versus First Past the Post.
  • Options

To be fair, Augustus also ended a century or so of intermittent civil war and established a stable political system which proved good for another two centuries, despite some of the considerably less-than-adequate individuals to wear the Purple. In addition, he was wise enough to recognise that appearances matter, hence his desire to clothe his autocracy in the garb of the republic, and aversion to any title hinting at kingly aspirations.

In any case, the republican system was long dead; the battle Caesar and others were fighting was what and who would replace it.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Lascelles was the name of one of the first hospital wards I worked on in 1974,known as lassells to the locals and La Selles to the bosses,named after a Lascelles.
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727

SeanT said:

Maybe you could link your recent trip to the Maldives with Global Warming? The islands are supposed to be about to be inundated, aren't they? Supposed to...
    Sunil, what is the line that runs underneath a bridge on the District line between West Ham and Bromley-by-bow? It's near Limehouse on the c2c and runs between north and South. Is it the East London Line?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    SeanT said:

How about a rant on Oxford PPE ?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @david_herdson

For eight months last year I blogged for the Telegraph on the US election as well as doing PB. In the end I found it very difficult generating enough ideas. PB generally needs 3 posts a day which, even with the help of you, Henry G and Harry Hayfield, is enormously challenging. Adding on the Telegraph requirement to generate a fixed number of posts per week (and they were paying) proved too much and I stopped.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    SeanT said:

What age will state retirement age be I'm 2050 and how are we going to adjust society to that? My guess about 75.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    North Korea: Playing with matches.

The running commentary from US & Korean officials on the where Kim the Younger (or KTY to his mates...) missiles are and whether they are horizontal or vertical is deliberate. Its designed to let the North know that everyone knows what they are doing. The assumption is this going to be a missile test of an untried system with the added publicity potential. Thus any launch will be from a fairly fixed set of locations where the full testing rigs are there to measure every aspect of the launch and trip.

This commentary is in one way its an assertive approach, in another way it reflects a reality that this time around the North Koreans are doing a lot of feints and dodges, moving and siting missile systems trying to throw off the scent. The North Koreans also can keep the latest in the line of the Taepodong missile family sitting on a launchpad fully fueled for some time and launch it in a week if they feel like it. Thus Kim the Younger is chain pulling in a big way..or he intends to do something.

This is what is causing the headache, because there are other missiles, both at the site that is publicly having a running commentary being done on it, and at other sites where not much is being said. If the US/Japanese/South gets caught napping and say a single launch is actually several missiles, or they get launched from other sites, that news will get out to the free Western media and young Kim will look almighty clever.

Yet, haven't we been here before many times in the last 10 years?

Yes and no. Theres a lot more going on. The missile launch for a bit of publicity is one thing. The South, however, is very concerned and trying to protect against a provocation of a more lethal kind. The sinking of a South Korean naval vessel by a NK submarine a year or two back is etched in the memory over there. By the time the South finally confirmed the source of the sinking, heat had gone out. The North, militarily at least, walked away with a success and one that initially had deniability all over it.

The US and South Koreans are striking a much more forward posture and certainly the South Korean premier has promised to take no guff. Obama in the last hour suggested the North needs to step off the hill and that the US will protect its territory (maybe its allies as well, who knows). The tone and words of this statement supported by others from Chuck Hagel, the South Koreans and also regional parties such as the Chinese and Russians are relatively unusual because listening to the politicians they are not expecting just a bit of a publicity shoot, the fear, genuinely, that things are not in their regular pattern.

The chain pulling though is fraying nerves amongst the respective security & political communities because they are essentially reactive by default and simply have to wait. If something occurs, what will the reaction be? Nothing may be sensible but nothing may well only encourage the North. Dictatorships tend not to see passivity as a sign to back off. Shooting any launch down might weaken Kim himself, it might just light a bigger fire.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited April 2013
    Edit
  • Options

@david_herdson

For eight months last year I blogged for the Telegraph on the US election as well as doing PB. In the end I found it very difficult generating enough ideas. PB generally needs 3 posts a day which, even with the help of you, Henry G and Harry Hayfield, is enormously challenging. Adding on the Telegraph requirement to generate a fixed number of posts per week (and they were paying) proved too much and I stopped.

To be honest, I'm always amazed that you are able to find two to three topics a day, every day. It's an incredible achievement to have maintained it over nine years. Even allowing for follow-on threads or open threads, that's still a huge amount of work - and even the continuity leaders usually require some kind of setting up in terms of pictures and so on. I'm not surprised you found the Telegraph too much as well.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Sean, if you want to consult with a practicing British Mormon I could give you my email address.
  • Options

@david_herdson

The need to find topics to post about to meet a set amount, surely explains why there's so much drivel around though, particularly if a pundit becomes known for a particular style or topic; there's only so many ways one can say 'Ed M is crap' after all.

The key to being a longstanding pundit as opposed to your briefer stint must therefore be the ability to not let lack of ideas slow you down. Ideas are for the weak!
  • Options
    tim said:

@BBCMarkDenten: Conservatives announce Karen Allen will be their candidate at South Shields by election-she fought the seat at the last General Election

Tim, how high do you think lab will poll in SS?
  • Options
    South shields gazette online poll alert (caveat emptor etc):

As councillor wins the vote to stand to be South Shields MP, we ask ...
    Thursday, 11 April 2013
    Is Emma Lewell-Buck the right candidate for Labour?
    Yes
    174 (47%)
    No
    195 (53%)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

How about advocating that sex offenders should be rehabilitated into society through all-expenses-paid trips to Thai brothels to re-acquaint themselves with the birds and the bees?
  • Options
    There's a rather enjoyable website where people can make their own Game of Thrones style banners. Here's the one for House Dancer:

http://i.imgur.com/h4VxBN9.png

It's slightly addictive, actually.

Incidentally, thanks to Mr. Hayfield for his regular locals slot.
  • Options
    tim said:

@BBCMarkDenten: Conservatives announce Karen Allen will be their candidate at South Shields by election-she fought the seat at the last General Election

Good Choice, she was brilliant in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Hasn't done much since mind.

• Options
    I recall thinking Littlejohn was rewriting the same ten columns in rotation about 6 years ago... He gets paid a lot to do that without people caring.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, Raiders of the Lost Ark is a bloody good film all round. Hard to say whether I prefer that to The Last Crusade, though...
  • Options
    Incidentally, Mr. T, what precisely is your brief? Anything?
  • Options
    I know I diss Dan Hodges a lot, but his latest column on being Glenda Jackson's son, just wow.

"Humiliating? Try walking into school the day after Women in Love has just been repeated on BBC2"
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    SeanT said:

If you want something topical, how about doing a different angle on MMR and the Swansea measles epidemic? Every commentator and their dog are going on about how the Wakefield controversy has led to this situation.

Instead, write something on how hard it is for anyone, even highly educated people, to know who to trust when it comes to important decisions such as MMR. Such decisions are so specialist that people who are not intimately involved with that speciality have to follow whoever they trust.

Throw in a media who (with one or two honourable exceptions) do not understand it either, and snake-oil salesmen, and we have a situation where it is all too easy for people to make the wrong decisions with the best of intentions. MMR threw in another couple of factors: fear, and the understandable desire of parents wanting to find *something* to blame for their child's autism.

Also mention that it will happen again. And again.

(AGW is another area which is outside of most people's understanding at a deep level. People just follow their instincts, and read the blogs, and use the data, that backs up those instincts).

However, for a rather off-piste topic, how about a blog on the way that 98.347% of people could not tell an invented statistic if it bit them on the backside?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Pong

With a name like that she must be a toff.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

SeanT said:

What age will state retirement age be I'm 2050 and how are we going to adjust society to that? My guess about 75.
    Bearing in mind the age of Telegraph readers, I don't expect many will be bothered by the retirement age in 2050. They will have been resident on their fluffy clouds playing harps for decades by then.
  • Options
    F1: piece by Benson on the long-running tension between Webber and Vettel:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22105955

Although in Malaysia I think Vettel was entirely at fault, it is fair to say that Webber hasn't always obeyed team orders in the past. However, that might be because in Turkey (2010) he was blamed for Vettel's mistake and in 2011 (when Vettel easily won the title) he was ordered not to compete for the win (against Vettel), even though it wouldn't really have harmed Vettel's chances at all.
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 38s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: CON 32%, LAB 42%, LD 9%, UKIP 11%. Labour lead 10 points, like last week. No Thatcher bounce then?
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, Raiders of the Lost Ark is a bloody good film all round. Hard to say whether I prefer that to The Last Crusade, though...

Mr Dancer, overall I prefer Raiders personally, though Crusade does have Alison Doody!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I know I diss Dan Hodges a lot, but his latest column on being Glenda Jackson's son, just wow.

"Humiliating? Try walking into school the day after Women in Love has just been repeated on BBC2"

GANGSTA-SPORRAN

Thankyou for reminding me of the coinage. I knew it was key to his persona.
    Gangsta-Sporran is one of your better and more memorable phrases.

I use it a lot now.
  • Options

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: CON 32%, LAB 42%, LD 9%, UKIP 11%. Labour lead 10 points, like last week. No Thatcher bounce then?

YouGov/The Sunil

Labour 42%
    Government 41%
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If anyone says the Fourth Indiana Jones film is the best, can they exile themselves to conhome for eternity.

Ta.
  • Options

welshowl said:

SeanT said:

Bearing in mind the age of Telegraph readers, I don't expect many will be bothered by the retirement age in 2050. They will have been resident on their fluffy clouds playing harps for decades by then.
    Fair point! Though I suspect newspapers too in their current form will have departed heavenwards well before then too mind.
  • Options
    Dan Hodges column tonight is absolutely fantastic.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Jonathan said:

Good Choice, she was brilliant in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Hasn't done much since mind.

@Dr_Plank

Was that the film that starred Chukkuz Umoney? Didn't he play Harrison Fraud...?
  • Options
    sam said:

SeanT said:

Sunil, what is the line that runs underneath a bridge on the District line between West Ham and Bromley-by-bow? It's near Limehouse on the c2c and runs between north and South. Is it the East London Line?
    @sam

It's not the East London, that runs under the District line further west at Whitechapel. Do you mean the DLR at Bow? There's nothing between West Ham and Bromley by Bow except the River Lea!
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

YouGov/The Sunil

Labour 42%
    Government 41%
    Is the change from "Coalition" to "Government" deliberate? o.O
  • Options

If anyone says the Fourth Indiana Jones film is the best, can they exile themselves to conhome for eternity.

Ta.

It's not the best, but I have to admit I think the humour value of exagerrating just how bad it and the Star Wars Prequels are has pretty much been exhauted by this point. I mean, I've had plenty of fun making fun of them too, but it's just gone on too long, too intensely, to the point you'd think they were among the worst, most disappointing movies ever, which they are really, really not, when you've seen genuine trash, as opposed to dumb movies, out there.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Pong

50-55%

Yeah, hard to see it much below that. Even with a mediocre candidate.
  • Options
    That's it Sean, your next telegraph blog should be about Gangsta-Sporrans.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ta.

It's not the best, but I have to admit I think the humour value of exagerrating just how bad it and the Star Wars Prequels are has pretty much been exhauted by this point. I mean, I've had plenty of fun making fun of them too, but it's just gone on too long, too intensely, to the point you'd think they were among the worst, most disappointing movies ever, which they are really, really not, when you've seen genuine trash, as opposed to dumb movies, out there.
    For some reason, I can deal with ghosts from the Ark of the Covenant, Indian Mysticism, The Holy Grail, but aliens, I just didn't find it believable .
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Grandiose said:

YouGov/The Sunil

Labour 42%
    Government 41%
    Is the change from "Coalition" to "Government" deliberate? o.O
    Um, I regard them as interchangeable!
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, indeed. Dr. Schneider is probably the reason I took German instead of Latin.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ta.

For some reason, I can deal with ghosts from the Ark of the Covenant, Indian Mysticism, The Holy Grail, but aliens, I just didn't find it believable .
    Well, perhaps it was not well done, but I do get a bit snippy when people try to justify hating it on the basis of 'It was an Indiana Jones film with Aliens' as if that on its own explains it.

Look, it was bad for reasons that had nothing to do with it having aliens in it. It could have worked even on the sceptical like yourselves if well done, but it wasn't very well done. Better writing, no Shia Laboef and so on and I bet you'd find it easier to be believable.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Dr. Prasannan, indeed. Dr. Schneider is probably the reason I took German instead of Latin.

She was teaching at your school?! Lucky man.

I imagine she'd have been disappointed; I'm sure the character would have been able to speak both, and you should too.

• Options
    I may have to watch Newsnight tonight, Spandau Ballet are on it.

I hope is it True, it will be Gold, if they're on
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Ta.

Well, perhaps it was not well done, but I do get a bit snippy when people try to justify hating it on the basis of 'It was an Indiana Jones film with Aliens' as if that on its own explains it.

Look, it was bad for reasons that had nothing to do with it having aliens in it. It could have worked even on the sceptical like yourselves if well done, but it wasn't very well done. Better writing, no Shia Laboef and so on and I bet you'd find it easier to be believable.
    I understand your snippyness.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2013
    Pong said:

tim said:

@Pong

50-55%

Yeah, hard to see it much below that. Even with a mediocre candidate.

what do you think about the UKIP candidate (who is the likely main challenger at the moment)?
  • Options

Yes, the dignity of all remains in tact.

He really is growing in stature as a writer.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, that didn't bother me too much (and after the Holy Grail it'd be hard to find a 'better' Christian artefact). The problem was excessive use of CGI, and the fact it was pretty clear to see. The predominant use of 'real' effects in the original films (as per the A-team) has meant they've aged well.

Plus, the villain was a bit rubbish (Russian swordswoman sounds good, but she pales in comparison to the chaps from Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade), Communists are less interesting than Nazis and Shia LaBoeuf was in it.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, if Dr. Schneider had been teaching me German I'd have a bloody doctorate in it by now!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Ta.

South Park's take on the fourth Indiana Jones film was hilarious.

I would link to the relevant clips, but they're most certainly NSFW. So here's the Telegraph's take on it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/3179812/South-Park-episode-angers-viewers-with-scenes-of-Hollywood-titans-raping-Indiana-Jones.html
  • Options
    @Mr Dancer.

The German language is awesome, as Schadenfreude is the greatest word in the history of mankind.

But Latin is so elegant.

I have to confess, swearing in French is the best, it's like wiping your arse with silk.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Ta.

I understand your snippyness.
    Really, I'm just a contrarian I guess. And firm opinions on things, any things, make me uneasy, you see. I don't know what SeanT is titling his memoirs, but mine would be 'The non-adventures of Captain Indecisive'.

OT, I still don't get why independents are so popular in west Wales. How well run are the councils round that way as a result?
  • Options

To cut a long story short, it will clash with QT.
  • Options

To cut a long story short, it will clash with QT.
    I seldom watch QT, but I'm currently alternating between the Golf and the Spurs Match.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Yes, the dignity of all remains in tact.

He really is growing in stature as a writer.

It is a good one, even some sympathy for Ed Milliband with his famous dad.

Go with gangsta sporran and the loss of random nudity on Play for Today, SeanT.
  • Options
    On the quality (or lack thereof) of The Crystal Skull: I think it's underrated. Don't get me wrong, it's clearly the worst of the Indiana Jones films. But I don't think it's as terrible as people make out.

Largely, that's because Harrison Ford is still a charismatic, likeable fellow, and manages to defy the baggage (yes, LaBoeuf, and the wife-mother) the writers lumbered him with.

Incidentally, if anyone were interested in my thoughts on a fifth film, it would start with the son of Hitler killing the son of Indy. Instant motive for revenge, better villain and no more LaBoeuf.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    There is also a by election on Todmorden Town council tonight ( Labour defence).
  • Options
    Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
  • Options
    "Police investigating "Plebgate" have asked prosecutors for advice on the next stage of the inquiry and the possibility of criminal charges."

I know we've all been spoiled by TV detectives who work 24 hours a day to solve complex cases in 2 days, maximum (although how many of their cases would fall apart afterwards before trial? Someone should really make a show about the team who has to pick up the ruins of cases TV detectives messed up as they ignored laws and procedures to get the guys who did it), but what's taking them so long. I know it's complex, but there were aspects which were revealed to be clear cut some time ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22117380
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I love German's regularity and their incredibly long compound nouns.

French I found a bit more difficult. That said, I recently stumbled across a cool name for a bunch of Felarian mercenaries (not Altmortis, but later): Les Sanguinaires (the bloodthirsty men).
  • Options

and no more LaBoeuf.

That's all the pitch I needed to hear. Greenlight.

• Options

@Mr Dancer.

The German language is awesome, as Schadenfreude is the greatest word in the history of mankind.

But Latin is so elegant.

I have to confess, swearing in French is the best, it's like wiping your arse with silk.

The best phrase though must be " meine Betelmaus hat Verstopfung" ( my wombat has constipation) which is a must for visits to Tuetonic veterinarians in New South Wales.
  • Options
    A 14-year-old has just finished his first round at the Masters in just +1. Amazing.
  • Options
    F1: don't forget P1 and P2 are 3am and 7am tomorrow. Might catch some of P2 (I believe both sessions are on BBC2).
  • Options

sam said:

SeanT said:

@sam

It's not the East London, that runs under the District line further west at Whitechapel. Do you mean the DLR at Bow? There's nothing between West Ham and Bromley by Bow except the River Lea!
    It could well be, I've been looking at the tube maps and that seems most likely, thanks

SeanT said:

If you want something topical, how about doing a different angle on MMR and the Swansea measles epidemic? Every commentator and their dog are going on about how the Wakefield controversy has led to this situation.

Instead, write something on how hard it is for anyone, even highly educated people, to know who to trust when it comes to important decisions such as MMR. Such decisions are so specialist that people who are not intimately involved with that speciality have to follow whoever they trust.

Throw in a media who (with one or two honourable exceptions) do not understand it either, and snake-oil salesmen, and we have a situation where it is all too easy for people to make the wrong decisions with the best of intentions. MMR threw in another couple of factors: fear, and the understandable desire of parents wanting to find *something* to blame for their child's autism.

(AGW is another area which is outside of most people's understanding at a deep level. People just follow their instincts, and read the blogs, and use the data, that backs up those instincts).

However, for a rather off-piste topic, how about a blog on the way that 98.347% of people could not tell an invented statistic if it bit them on the backside?
    Peter Hitchens did that earlier...

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/
  • Options

swearing in French is the best, it's like wiping your arse with silk.

Quoting mediocre Matrix sequels now? For shame.
  • Options
    I hate Shia LeBeouf.

I think he's a fine actor.

I hate him because he's stirred his spoon in Megan Fox's porridge.
  • Options

TSE

What a fantastic movement in just one day.

Maggie appears to be closing the gap with Labour even faster than George is eliminating the deficit.

Who would have thought it?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Mucked up by answering Sunil in the same post, but Peter Hitchens seems to have done what you ask earlier today

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    kle4 said:

swearing in French is the best, it's like wiping your arse with silk.

Quoting mediocre Matrix sequels now? For shame.
    That quote and Neo fighting the squillion Agent Smiths are the only two redeeming features about the Matrix sequels.

Oh and it leading to a discussion with a friend what the plural of Dominatrix is.

The answer is of course Dominatrices

• Options
    Dominatrices*, Mr. Eagles, as per matrices and indices.

I do wonder whether an apex should be pluralised to become apices, though.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
    What was the matter with her? I didn't notice anything unusual in her words, and she actually sounded like a normal person, not a blandified party apparatchik.
  • Options

Dominatrices*, Mr. Eagles, as per matrices and indices.

I do wonder whether an apex should be pluralised to become apices, though.

I know, bloody auto-correct decided to balls up
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

OGHs comment regarding twitter and CON performance seems to be accurate!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2013
    Lascelles - Darlington

Lab 426
    LD 129
    Con 117

turnout 31.8%
  • Options
    Anyway, I'm off to bed with Napoleon. Night, everyone.
This discussion has been closed.