Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This is more of a Dieppe Raid than a D-Day success for DD

13»

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

God I love Theresa May.

She’s treating and humiliating David Davis the way I would.

Now if Theresa makes Nadine Dorries Ambassador to the Islamic State then Mrs May is perfection.

#TheresaMustStay

Do you seriously think this is the correct way for the PM to behave ? It wasn't right when she did to Osborne and it isn't right now.
    Cameron and May both afforded Davis a lot of latitude in his roles and he threw it back in their faces.

His smug superior schtick coupled with his repeated threats to resign grate.

If the Exchequer had a penny for every time Davis threatened to resign the UK plc wouldn’t have any national debt.

This is all from Davis winging it in December and only realising what he signed up to.
    Davis has been poor. He should have begun WTO Brexit planning on day one. If he had then the threat of no deal Brexit would be much less potent and the EU would be much more amenable to a longer term deal knowing that any losses from no deal would be relatively minor.

The whole of the City has countless reports which outline that path, Davis chose to ignore the advice.
    Again that decision was not his. The fault for all of this lies squarely with May.
    Then he should have resigned from the off, there's no point in negotiating if no fallback position can be planned for. If he had any kind of honour he would have fallen on his sword in late 2016.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Any sign of PB we hold all the carders yet

I assume they are still conferring with the 'they-need-us-more-than-we-need-them' brigade to try to fathom out where all the unicorns are.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    Geordie Greig to be the new editor of the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Have the owners of the Daily Mail decided to "crush the saboteurs" ??
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

God I love Theresa May.

Now if Theresa makes Nadine Dorries Ambassador to the Islamic State then Mrs May is perfection.

#TheresaMustStay

Do you seriously think this is the correct way for the PM to behave ? It wasn't right when she did to Osborne and it isn't right now.
    Cameron and May both afforded Davis a lot of latitude in his roles and he threw it back in their faces.

If the Exchequer had a penny for every time Davis threatened to resign the UK plc wouldn’t have any national debt.

This is all from Davis winging it in December and only realising what he signed up to.
    Davis has been poor. He should have begun WTO Brexit planning on day one. If he had then the threat of no deal Brexit would be much less potent and the EU would be much more amenable to a longer term deal knowing that any losses from no deal would be relatively minor.

The whole of the City has countless reports which outline that path, Davis chose to ignore the advice.
    In fairness to DD etc., WTO terms were laughingly dismissed during the campaign as part of Project Fear. Amidst the fervid atmosphere immediately after the vote, It would have been a brave man to then pipe up and declare they were on the cards all along. The country would have exploded into civil war if the Leavers had pulled that one!
    The whole point would be to have it as a fall back position in case of a no deal Brexit. At the moment the EU has us over a barrell, we have done basically no planning for no deal which means none of our trade infrastructure is prepared for it (hence the dire warnings in the Sunday Times this weekend). At the moment the fallback is staying in the customs union indefinitely which massively favours the EU (which is why I'm sure you have no issues with it) but all it does is store up the issues again just like our membership did.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    edited June 2018
    The way things are going, must be a serious prospect of Farage and Banks founding a new party (with a constitution designed to stop it eating its own face).

When looking ahead to the next election, if such a party has a head of steam that could make things very complicated for both the blues and the reds, as well as anyone trying to forecast things.

F1: just checked the calendar. There's the usual fortnight between Canada and France, but then France-Austria-UK all take place over three weeks, which seems rather rushed.

Edited extra bit: I should be off. Play nicely, children.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994

TOPPING said:

Back to Grenfell it seems everyone is blaming everyone else. RBKC says it was the TMO responsible for the refurb; TMO says it submitted the plans to RBKC; the cladding manufacturer says it was up to the buyers to work out whether their "obviously combustible" cladding should be used; the fire safety advisor says he was not asked to inspect the outside of the building; and the FBU, LFB et al (pretty amazingly IMO) say that the "stay put" strategy was the responsibility of...RBKC!

My bet is that the inquiry will share out the blame between multiple people and organisations; no-one wanted this to happen, and no one single action has led to it (all IMO). Therefore the CYA actions are, whilst fairly reprehensible, understandable given the point-scoring that is being made out of it.

As someone noted the other day, the council might actually come out of this better than some of the more fevered voices might like.

I'd expect (and hope) half-a-dozen or so major recommendations to come out of the inquiry to prevent similar future tragedies, and many more minor recommendations.
    Unless someone did something obviously and clearly wrong, I don’t think anyone should be ‘blamed”. This should be looked at in the same way as aircraft crashes are; almost certainly no-one is blamed, but a whole lot of recomendations are made.

I doubt that this will satisfy some at least of the residents or at least their ‘supporters’ who are taking the line that, in the words of the late Stanley Holloway ‘somebody ought to be summonsed’.
    Well, yes. That's the logical and sane way for it to be done (as myself and Mr Pit have been calling for since the morning of the tragedy).

But sadly your last paragraph is also correct: there will be a clamour for someone to blame, and significant disquiet if that person/organisation is not the one that the hangers-on have already decided is to blame. Sadly, Mr Khan and Mr Corbyn are likely to be amongst those people as I reckon there is a good chance they won't like the inquiries answers.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Hello all.

I hope you'll all watch - and enjoy - my latest piece:

https://youtu.be/xHo82501394

What does a $400 hotel room tell us about the price of oil?

Remember to watch, and subscribe. And share.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

TOPPING said:

nah, you're just a bit of a fruitloop, Richard. Which is fine and it all adds to the gaiety of the site so keep at it.

Whereas your continual dishonesty just brings the site into disrepute.
    Um, guys, I like you both but these exchanges don't really help the rest of us, and I can't be bothered to work out who's right. Could you possibly pursue them by email or something?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Theresa May has united Leavers and Remainers:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1004769364925714432
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

The way things are going, must be a serious prospect of Farage and Banks founding a new party (with a constitution designed to stop it eating its own face).

When looking ahead to the next election, if such a party has a head of steam that could make things very complicated for both the blues and the reds, as well as anyone trying to forecast things.

F1: just checked the calendar. There's the usual fortnight between Canada and France, but then France-Austria-UK all take place over three weeks, which seems rather rushed.

Yes, I would be very surprised if there is not an English Nationalist party by the next GE. FPTP of course makes it much harder for them than say AfD in Germany.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

What are the 10% smoking and where can I get some?

Fifty ounces of that flogged in the right place and I could clear the national debt!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

God I love Theresa May.

#TheresaMustStay

Again that decision was not his. The fault for all of this lies squarely with May.
    Then he should have resigned from the off, there's no point in negotiating if no fallback position can be planned for. If he had any kind of honour he would have fallen on his sword in late 2016.
    That I agree with.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited June 2018
    Trump's former strategist Steve Bannon 'Etonians are the biggest scumbags in the world', 'Macron's masturbatory Napoleon fantasy', 'Italy is the centre of the world right now' after the election of its new populist government.

He also argues left v right is over now, it is populist v globalist and he is in touch with Bernie Sanders people 'all the time'

https://spectator-usa.com/2018/06/steve-bannon-rome/
  • Options

Baffling how as many as 10% can possibly think this is going well. Then again weren't there some Remain-backing UKIP voters? Nowt so queer as folk, eh?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    HYUFD said:

Trump's former strategist Steve Bannon 'Etonians are the biggest scumbags in the world', 'Macron's masturbatory Napoleon fantasy', 'Italy is the centre of the world right now'.

He also argues left v right is over now, it is populist v globalist and he is is touch with Bernie Sanders people 'all the time'

There was an interesting article on unHerd about Trump supports in the rust belt and it was quoting democrats saying they voted for Sanders but when Hillary won they voted for Trump in the Presidential Election. Reason Trump understand their lifestyles.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I doubt he will change the line too much unless they want to lose half their readers to the Express
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Back to Grenfell it seems everyone is blaming everyone else. RBKC says it was the TMO responsible for the refurb; TMO says it submitted the plans to RBKC; the cladding manufacturer says it was up to the buyers to work out whether their "obviously combustible" cladding should be used; the fire safety advisor says he was not asked to inspect the outside of the building; and the FBU, LFB et al (pretty amazingly IMO) say that the "stay put" strategy was the responsibility of...RBKC!

My bet is that the inquiry will share out the blame between multiple people and organisations; no-one wanted this to happen, and no one single action has led to it (all IMO). Therefore the CYA actions are, whilst fairly reprehensible, understandable given the point-scoring that is being made out of it.

As someone noted the other day, the council might actually come out of this better than some of the more fevered voices might like.

I'd expect (and hope) half-a-dozen or so major recommendations to come out of the inquiry to prevent similar future tragedies, and many more minor recommendations.
    Well the most obvious one is the cladding but it seems that that scare in Camden aside, I don't believe anyone has done anything to address the issue. Cost, presumably, being the reason.
    But the cladding is not the only failure; it was part of a chain.
    E.g.:
    *If* the appliance had not caught fire (if that was the trigger).
    *If* the fire had not spread out of the flat.
    *If* the cladding material had not been flammable.
    *If* the cladding system design had not allowed the flames to spread.
    *If* the alterations had not allowed flames to get from the exterior into the flats.
    Etc.

Any one of these could have prevented the fire, and all failed. And that's leaving aside the human factors on the night.

As I said earlier, all IMO from what I've heard so far.

On a side note, I've got copies of 'Risk analysis in Building Fire Safety Engineering' and 'Structural Design for Fire Safety' on my bookshelf, and these are more about preventing structures from falling down than preventing a fire spreading. From the former: "Another potential path for vertical fire is through gaps at the junction of the floor and exterior wall, just inside the facade. This is particularly important for 'curtain wall' constructions where the exterior panels are not part of the structure."

It amounts to half a page in a 370-page book. I do wonder if the industry has rather neglected this sort of failure mode, despite warning incidents before ...
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    HYUFD said:

Trump's former strategist Steve Bannon 'Etonians are the biggest scumbags in the world', 'Macron's masturbatory Napoleon fantasy', 'Italy is the centre of the world right now' after the election of its new populist government.

He also argues left v right is over now, it is populist v globalist and he is in touch with Bernie Sanders people 'all the time'

Hope that outburst wasn't prompted by this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/01/jacob-rees-mogg-held-meeting-with-steve-bannon-in-london
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816

Nah.
    For all the "This is not REAL Brexit" from some highly politically invested Leavers, the vast majority of people don't really have that much interest in trade deals, customs unions, single markets, etc.
    If we're outside of the EU, and if immigration appears more controlled, that's it. Job done.

There will always be some, of course, but particularly under FPTP and the sure and certain knowledge that unless there's a huge jump to this new party, your vote will get wasted (the number of seats won by UKIP last time testify), coupled with partisan loyalty, and the tendency of many to have things other than Brexit on their minds while voting will mean any such new party will suffer the fate of new parties over the past several decades.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    I doubt he will change the line too much unless they want to lose half their readers to the Express
    Has the Mail on Sunday seen an exodus? And anyway, isn't the Express now owned by the Mirror?

At some time in the not too distant future I wouldn't be surprised if none of these papers own up to ever having supported fascism oops sorry, Brexit.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    HYUFD said:

Considering the hard on Bannon has for Mussolini, I sense a little projection (as the mistress said to the dictator).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

Cracking video Robert.

Interesting to see what this would mean for the UK Kimmeridge Clay which is the main source rock for most of the Jurassic and post Jurassic plays in the North Sea.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited June 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

Will hotel rooms near say Marsh Lane in Derbyshire head north in price (There aren't many !) or is the spike in room prices in Texas due to people basically owning the oil and minerals under their land compared to here where so far as I can work out it is all Dart/Ineos/Upstream ?

Good to hear about money left over for cocktails ;) !
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    stodge said:

I'm also not convinced the public humiliation of a colleague is a sound strategy in the medium to long term - it didn't work well for Margaret Thatcher.

That is probably true, although I suppose the questions come down to

a) How much did said colleague contribute to their own humiliation?

b) Are they even thinking of the long term, or are they just struggling through from crisis to crisis?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

Will hotel rooms near say Marsh Lane in Derbyshire head north in price (There aren't many !) or is the spike in room prices in Texas due to people basically owning the oil and minerals under their land compared to here where so far as I can work out it is all Dart/Ineos/Upstream ?

Good to hear about money left over for cocktails ;) !
    Hotel prices in Aberdeen were up in the £250 to £300 a night mark for much of the decade leading up to 2014. Lots of people passing through vs not enough rooms. It was why there has been a rash of hotel building around the airport and in the town centre since then. There is the expectation that rates will get back up that way but I think it is a false hope.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,816
    Haven't been keeping up to date with all today's twists and turns.

Is The Good Ship May still sailing on serenely? Or has she hit an iceberg? :D
  • Options

Nah.
    For all the "This is not REAL Brexit" from some highly politically invested Leavers, the vast majority of people don't really have that much interest in trade deals, customs unions, single markets, etc.
    If we're outside of the EU, and if immigration appears more controlled, that's it. Job done.

There will always be some, of course, but particularly under FPTP and the sure and certain knowledge that unless there's a huge jump to this new party, your vote will get wasted (the number of seats won by UKIP last time testify), coupled with partisan loyalty, and the tendency of many to have things other than Brexit on their minds while voting will mean any such new party will suffer the fate of new parties over the past several decades.
    It was always nonsense that only one type of Brexit would be 'real' Brexit, and it is just a question of enough people can be satisfied sufficiently to not break the existing structures. I think Labour are fine on that score despite their divisions, but I'm less sure about the Tories not being vulnerable since the pressure of actually delivering things, or not, seems to have a higher chance of breaking them.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

She's still sinking serenely.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

Cracking video Robert.

Interesting to see what this would mean for the UK Kimmeridge Clay which is the main source rock for most of the Jurassic and post Jurassic plays in the North Sea.
    I should organise a call with some of my new Midland friends (some of whom have become obscenely wealthy very quickly), you and some people that know the Kimmeridge Clay well. It would be nice to get in close to ground zero :)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So May has agreed to 'aspire' to a backstop endpoint which is apparently a 'victory' for Davis and the ERG

'Never in the field of political negotiation has so much press and hot air been expended for such a little matter'

I've not been in a position to follow all this - does the proposal actually say 'aspire' in it? As what silliness that would be, everyone knows aspire means 'nice but not going to happen'
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

Cracking video Robert.

I should organise a call with some of my new Midland friends (some of whom have become obscenely wealthy very quickly), you and some people that know the Kimmeridge Clay well. It would be nice to get in close to ground zero :)
    Since Apache are a big player in the North Sea I suspect that ship has already sailed.

Although there is the basic issue that Offshore operations are massively more expensive than onshore so I suspect there will be a lot more basins being developed with this technology before the N.Sea.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

GIN1138 said:

Who can tell? She could be gone by next Friday or she could be playing the greatest game of chess since IBM's whizzy AI computer came online.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,816

GIN1138 said:

I'm heading for the life-boat named Corbyn. :D
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Who can tell? She May be gone by next Friday or she May be playing the greatest game of chess since IBM's whizzy AI computer came online.
    Fixed it for you.

I think personally she May be making a fool of herself...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

First one I've watched. Really liked it - clear, informative, interesting and concise. I look forward to the next one! Thanks
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Careful - it's not a lifeboat, it's an iceberg!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

If it's got his friends in it I'll pass thanks.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

First one I've watched. Really liked it - clear, informative, interesting and concise. I look forward to the next one! Thanks
    Well, you should probably watch the others. The one on trade deficits is also - I think - very interesting.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

It’s collapsible, but not in a good way.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

It’s collapsible, but not in a good way.
    Over-inflated more like.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

Well, you should probably watch the others. The one on trade deficits is also - I think - very interesting.
    Yes just watched that one - enjoyed that too. Thanks
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interesting take on Paul Dacre's retirement:

"The Mail's ferocious conservatism has re-shaped modern Britain"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44392661
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    The BBC is reading today as being a win for Davis and the Brexiteers. All this arguing and the EU may not accept it. This surely cannot go on?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

These are very good and each one better than the last, well done on an informative and instructive series.

Am interested to know where are you going with these though, who are your intended audience and what level of knowledge are you assuming? The reason for asking is that it would be good to see some more in-depth videos on the subjects you’re covering (which might get your viewed hours up if YouTube monetisation is something that interests you) but can understand why not if you’re happy talking to the man in the street, or using the vids to drum up billable consultancy hours etc...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

Please remember to click "Subscribe"!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Sounds like a time limited customs union position as the backstop.

Fine by me.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Unless someone did something obviously and clearly wrong, I don’t think anyone should be ‘blamed”. This should be looked at in the same way as aircraft crashes are; almost certainly no-one is blamed, but a whole lot of recomendations are made.

I doubt that this will satisfy some at least of the residents or at least their ‘supporters’ who are taking the line that, in the words of the late Stanley Holloway ‘somebody ought to be summonsed’.
    Well, yes. That's the logical and sane way for it to be done (as myself and Mr Pit have been calling for since the morning of the tragedy).

But sadly your last paragraph is also correct: there will be a clamour for someone to blame, and significant disquiet if that person/organisation is not the one that the hangers-on have already decided is to blame. Sadly, Mr Khan and Mr Corbyn are likely to be amongst those people as I reckon there is a good chance they won't like the inquiries answers.
    +1
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Fine by me.

"Time limited"

Unfortunately that provision means absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

Please remember to click "Subscribe"!
    I did! (No idea what that does though - presumably your videos will pop up whenever I go into YouTube?)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Mortimer said:

Fine by me.

Would have thought the A50 process would have convinced anyone that arbitrary deadlines are a dumb idea.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    Mortimer said:

Fine by me.

As Boy George almost sang, "Time makes Leavers feel like they've got something real".
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Mortimer said:

Fine by me.

It's time limited but the time is not really fixed, is it?

Still maybe it's a fudge most protagonists can put up with.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited June 2018
    Mortimer said:

Fine by me.

The limit is up until we come up with a solution to the Irish border acceptable to all parties.

Which based on current performance might never happen, ergo we're locked into the EU forever.
  • Options

Indeed, and I was rather hoping we’d managed to rid ourselves of Farage and his ilk, something that looks like Brexit in name only is going to bring them back with a vengeance before the next election.

Yes, the first F1 triple-header, when the many logisticians (?) in the F1 circus will earn their money.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

These are very good and each one better than the last, well done on an informative and instructive series.

Am interested to know where are you going with these though, who are your intended audience and what level of knowledge are you assuming? The reason for asking is that it would be good to see some more in-depth videos on the subjects you’re covering (which might get your viewed hours up if YouTube monetisation is something that interests you) but can understand why not if you’re happy talking to the man in the street, or using the vids to drum up billable consultancy hours etc...
    The answer is... I don't know where I'm going.

:)

I'm enjoying learning new skills, and making bite sized videos on things I'm interested in.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello all.

The answer is... I don't know where I'm going.

:)

I'm enjoying learning new skills, and making bite sized videos on things I'm interested in.
    In that case keep up the good work and see where it takes you! :)
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Mortimer said:

Fine by me.

The limit is up until we come up with a solution to the Irish border acceptable to all parties.

Which based on current performance might never happen, ergo we're locked into the EU forever.
    Michael Collins.

Forever is a long time. World trade patterns will change. Europe as a whole is going to shrink relatively. Things will drift apart slowly.
  • Options
    New post on UKPR:

"Why the polls were wrong in 2017"

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/10002
  • Options
    PurplePurple Posts: 150
    Off-topic: NASA say they found organic molecules on Mars.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715
    welshowl said:

Mortimer said:

Fine by me.

Michael Collins.

Forever is a long time. World trade patterns will change. Europe as a whole is going to shrink relatively. Things will drift apart slowly.
    Continental Drift - about the speed a fingernail grows apparently.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

welshowl said:

Mortimer said:

Fine by me.

Michael Collins.

Continental Drift - about the speed a fingernail grows apparently.
    That fast? I'm surprised.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Purple said:

Life Jim, but not as we know it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Purple said:

Ah, so that's where Boris is for the Heathrow vote.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Purple said:

Organic != life. Just means it is a carbon based molecule.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Purple said:

Ah, so that's where Boris is for the Heathrow vote.
    Boris is an atom, not a molecule. His parts aren't fully connected, especially his brain to his mouth.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Anti immigration Swedish Democrats take the lead from the governing Social Democrats in shock new Swedish poll ahead of September's Swedish general election

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1004791984513601536
  • Options
    Purple said:

Just in time for the 50th anniversary of 2001 A Space Odyssey.
  • Options
    Comments like this make me yearn for Gove to be given free reign to reform the civil service.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Mortimer said:

Comments like this make me yearn for Gove to be given free reign to reform the civil service.
    Perhaps, first, somebody should reform the Conservative Party
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

Being lectured on this by a Lib Dem is hilarious.

How many taxis do you need to house your entire Parly party?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Purple said:

Everything else in our solar system has been replicated in other solar systems we have discovered and examined. I expect life to be no exception.

As to whether it's intelligent? On other solar systems maybe......
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

At least it is worth reforming. Unlike the brand-dead LibDems.....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426

NEW THREAD

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Scott_P said:

Have the owners of the Daily Mail decided to "crush the saboteurs" ??

Apparently the Rothermeres are becoming outcasts in their well heeled social circle due to the Mail’s hardline Brexit position (and on the HoL, one presumes)
  • Options
    PurplePurple Posts: 150
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

So May has agreed to 'aspire' to a backstop endpoint which is apparently a 'victory' for Davis and the ERG

'Never in the field of political negotiation has so much press and hot air been expended for such a little matter'

I've not been in a position to follow all this - does the proposal actually say 'aspire' in it? As what silliness that would be, everyone knows aspire means 'nice but not going to happen'
    It doesn't say "aspire". It says
    The UK is clear that the future customs arrangement needs to deliver on the commitments made in relation to Northern Ireland. The UK expects the future arrangement to be in place by the end of December 2021 at the latest.
    You can read it for yourself here.

The only way to "deliver on the commitments made in relation to NI" is for Britain to stay in the a customs union.
  • Options

Purple said:

Everything else in our solar system has been replicated in other solar systems we have discovered and examined. I expect life to be no exception.

As to whether it's intelligent? On other solar systems maybe......
    One of the fascinating aspects of the search for life is the way we so often think we are exceptional. Two decades ago, I remember reading in serious journals about issues realting to the Drake equation. They went like: "It is possible that our solar system is the only one with planets," a few years before we discovered the first exoplanet. Then it became: "It is possible that other solar systems only have gas giants," etc, etc.

The thinking is that we, and our situation, is exceptional. Yet every time such barriers are probed, we find that we are not exceptional.

This makes me think that life is common, and intelligent life probable.

In which case the Fermi Paradox becomes a vital question.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anti immigration Swedish Democrats take the lead from the governing Social Democrats in shock new Swedish poll ahead of September's Swedish general election

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1004791984513601536

Can't say I'm surprised by this.
This discussion has been closed.