Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » General Election 2017 : One year on

12346»

Comments

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Been busy. Just catching up on the news of the last few days.

Lol.

It’s wonderful to see the Brexiters finally! admit that Brexit has turned to shit. Just as I and many on here predicted before the vote.

Next, the concession that we are better to stop digging the hole we are in.

It’ll take a few years, but finally no one will admit to voting for this lunatic’s charter.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922

Lol.

It’s wonderful to see the Brexiters finally! admit that Brexit has turned to shit. Just as I and many on here predicted before the vote.

It’ll take a few years, but finally no one will admit to voting for this lunatic’s charter.

Me, are you kidding? Hey, I was with you all the time! That was beautiful! Did you see the way the LEAVERS fell into our trap? Ha ha!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

Lol.

You would think. But I wouldn't bet on it.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Lol.

Never! Never! Never!
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    MaxPB said:

Lol.

Never! Never! Never!
    Heh, yes. Every day that passes it is becoming more obvious this was the last chance to get out.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136

Lol.

Disagree, some will misremember how they voted but for the rest it'll be the same as Iraq, they voted for it and they were right, but the government bollocksed up the implementation.
  • surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Purple said:

The DUP wants an open border between the RoI and NI and the same customs regime in NI as in GB. Face it: that means everyone carrying Oystercards Britain staying in the CU. The government don't want that.

Are we sure the DUP aren't going to vote "Aye" to the Lords' amendment next week?

Mr Dodds said continued membership of the customs union would “cross a very big red line for” for his crucial bloc of 10 MPs.

He said: “For us there is the fact that if as a result of the Brexit negotiations for instance there was to be any suggestion that Northern Ireland would be treated differently, in a way for instance that we were part of a customs union and a single market and the rest of the UK wasn’t.

“If there was anything like the EU’s definition of the backstop arrangements that was agreed in December – for us that would be a red line, which we would vote against the Government, because you might as well have a Corbyn government pursuing openly its anti-unionist policies as have a Conservative Government doing it by a different means.

Supporters of the customs union argue that it is the best way to maintain an open border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, but the DUP is firmly against any plan that would see Northern Ireland subject to different post-Brexit arrangements from the rest of the UK.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/04/26/dup-threatening-to-bring-the-government-down-over-a-customs-union-or-are-they/
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    surby said:

Purple said:

The DUP wants an open border between the RoI and NI and the same customs regime in NI as in GB. Face it: that means everyone carrying Oystercards Britain staying in the CU. The government don't want that.

Are we sure the DUP aren't going to vote "Aye" to the Lords' amendment next week?

Mr Dodds said continued membership of the customs union would “cross a very big red line for” for his crucial bloc of 10 MPs.

He said: “For us there is the fact that if as a result of the Brexit negotiations for instance there was to be any suggestion that Northern Ireland would be treated differently, in a way for instance that we were part of a customs union and a single market and the rest of the UK wasn’t.

“If there was anything like the EU’s definition of the backstop arrangements that was agreed in December – for us that would be a red line, which we would vote against the Government, because you might as well have a Corbyn government pursuing openly its anti-unionist policies as have a Conservative Government doing it by a different means.

Supporters of the customs union argue that it is the best way to maintain an open border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, but the DUP is firmly against any plan that would see Northern Ireland subject to different post-Brexit arrangements from the rest of the UK.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/04/26/dup-threatening-to-bring-the-government-down-over-a-customs-union-or-are-they/
    I think Barnier's comments rule out the UK staying in the customs union.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

If you are now arguing Sturgeon made no mention of Brexit or indyref2 at all in the run up to GE17 or disputing the March 2017 SNP vote at Holyrood arguing Brexit enabled an indyref2 vote then you are essentially denying there was any change in circumstances thus rendering the indyref2 argument completely redundant anyway

The only references to IndyRef2 Sturgeon made in the GE17 campaign was to explicitly spell out that GE17 was not about IndyRef2.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

If you are now arguing Sturgeon made no mention of Brexit or indyref2 at all in the run up to GE17 or disputing the March 2017 SNP vote at Holyrood arguing Brexit enabled an indyref2 vote then you are essentially denying there was any change in circumstances thus rendering the indyref2 argument completely redundant anyway

The only references to IndyRef2 Sturgeon made in the GE17 campaign was to explicitly spell out that GE17 was not about IndyRef2.
    So thanks for confirming there were no change in circumstances brought by Brexit enabling indyref2 and the SNP had no mandate to push it
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

So thanks for confirming there were no change in circumstances brought by Brexit enabling indyref2 and the SNP had no mandate to push it
    The UK voting to leave the EU was explicitly spelled out as a material change in circumstances prior to the 2016 Holyrood election.

Where the SNP then went on to form a government. Justifying IndyRef2.

Explicitly.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Thanks for the responses re teacher in last post.

I haven't been in touch with school yet.

He only mentioned one on Thursday night (Israel / WW2) and then when we discussed what a moron the teacher is the others came out.

2 of my other lads had teachers say stupid / rabid things when they were at (a different ) school.

One I did complain about was a teacher saying the nutty Americans were going to cause nuclear war after 9/11.

That did worry some in the class - I told the school and of course nothing visible happened

This discussion has been closed.