Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The July plot to oust Mrs May

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,980

Omnium said:

‪This is the sort of thing I’d expect Indian match fixing ‘bookies’ to do so they can launder their money. ‬

https://twitter.com/msmithsonpb/status/1005843906947420162?s=21

How does that work for them?
    I offer silly odds and hope that an associate of mine takes the bet.

When they win, they pay me what's left after the Betfair commission and the other party's 'commission'
    Is that really silly odds though?

Afterall if a 5/1 shot is a valued at 10/1 then that's a bargain.

While the odds of the Tories winning are miniscule is 1000/1 + Betfair commission + intermediate's commission really "silly"? What should the true odds be that makes 1000/1 such good value?
    If the Tories get a good turnout in their best wards of Grove Park and Blackheath and turnout is poor elsewhere and the rest of the vote is split between Labour and the LDs almost evenly it could get interesting
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

If only 42 are backing a vote of confidence, that suggests they Cdon't have the numbers to get her out.

I think there's several ministers who have yet to submit letters.

I suspect it might be like 1990 all over again.

May wins a majority of MPs but is fatally damaged in the process.
    Corbyn held on when 80% of his MP's voted against him. If 200 support May, she'll be fine.
    Corbyn struggled to fill a shadow cabinet let alone an actual one. He had no other responsibilities than clinging on until an election, he didn't need to actually win votes in the Commons to fulfil his job.

May is totally different.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

The Tory party is the most ruthless engine of self preservation in the western world.

Was.

I see no evidence that this long-held principle continues to hold.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

HYUFD said:

Whatever happens, the Fixed Term Parliament Act still means no election before 2022

That's never something you can say when you've got a minority government, even less so when it's a minority government presiding over an essential negotiation that's turned into a total goat rodeo.
    Yeah but its not a minority government in reality. Its a government of the Conservative and Unionist Party. The unionists or DUP are guaranteed to support the Tories in a vote of confidence to keep out Corbyn. And therefore the Tories have a majority in reality. And that majority will almost certainly last until 2022 -unless a new Tory PM at any time before then decides he or she wants an election.

What most certainly will not happen is that Corbyn will be PM without an election. Even with all the other parties -other than the DUP who will never support him -lined up behind him, he doesnt have the numbers in the Commons.
    The DUP cannot be relied upon under all circumstances - the 'border' in the Irish sea, springs to mind, and that one is quite likely.
    To be fair I know a number of Tories who would love a Corbyn minority government propped up by the LDs and SNP and Greens, add the DUP too and the Tories would still be easily the biggest party but have opposition all to themselves
    Who says the LDs would prop up a Corbyn government?
    All the PB Tories, Mr Collegeman.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,005
    Ooh, tightening up again in the cricket! C'mon the Scotch lads.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,800
    A further point to note is that the 10 ministers got very little in return for threatening to resign.

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

If only 42 are backing a vote of confidence, that suggests they Cdon't have the numbers to get her out.

Corbyn held on when 80% of his MP's voted against him. If 200 support May, she'll be fine.
    Corbyn struggled to fill a shadow cabinet let alone an actual one. He had no other responsibilities than clinging on until an election, he didn't need to actually win votes in the Commons to fulfil his job.

May is totally different.
    Sure, but there'll always be people willing to serve as ministers.

It's similar to arguments that Bercow would resign if 100 MP's had no confidence in him. He'd just laugh at them.
  • Options

The Tory party is the most ruthless engine of self preservation in the western world.

Was.

The Tories are already on their third consecutive general election winning most seats, Labour have only matched that once in the last century, from 1997-2005
  • Options

Yaroo!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,358
    ‪Scotland haven’t just beaten England, they’ve beaten the Number 1 ranked team in the world. Big shout to the bellends at the ICC who reduced the World Cup to ten teams. ‬
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Well done Scotland cricket team.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Congratulations to the Scots - a great win in a great match.

Shows the utter absurdity of the ICC blazers in reducing the size of the World Cup, when we should be spreading the game around the world.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,473

Yaroo!
    Congratulations !
    (Though that does sound disturbingly like a Boris Johnson expostulation....)
  • Options

Fair play to you and congratulations.

It is a disgrace that you aren’t at the World Cup.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Never in doubt.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,844
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

‪This is the sort of thing I’d expect Indian match fixing ‘bookies’ to do so they can launder their money. ‬

When they win, they pay me what's left after the Betfair commission and the other party's 'commission'

While the odds of the Tories winning are miniscule is 1000/1 + Betfair commission + intermediate's commission really "silly"? What should the true odds be that makes 1000/1 such good value?
    If the Tories get a good turnout in their best wards of Grove Park and Blackheath and turnout is poor elsewhere and the rest of the vote is split between Labour and the LDs almost evenly it could get interesting
    Marie Le Pen has less chance of winning admittedly
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Reckon Scotland will beat England in the world cup if we were to meet?

Oh.
  • Options
    What were the opening odds for the Scotland England game?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    HYUFD said:

Was.

The Tories are already on their third consecutive general election winning most seats, Labour have only matched that once in the last century, from 1997-2005
    ... but what if you only count majority governments?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Reckon Scotland will beat England in the world cup if we were to meet?

Oh.

They should arrange a friendly for the week after the group stages...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Not sure I had a bet at 6/1 when England were 7 down but going well with Moeen and Plunkett
  • Options
    Alistair said:

7/1
  • Options
    In fact won 4 figures today betting on Scotland at various intervals

The under over innings was 235 in over 1

The 15 over under/over score was 64 in over3.

The 30 over under/over score in play score was 170 then 181

The 40 Over in play score was 258

All winners

Always bet against a 4 Yorkshiremen England!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2018

HYUFD said:

Was.

... but what if you only count majority governments?
    The Tories have had a single majority government three times, in 1924-1929, 1970-1974 and 2015-2017, 2 consecutively twice from 1918-1923 and from 1931-1945, 3 consecutively once from 1951-1964, 4 consecutively once from 1979-1997.

Labour have had a single majority government once from October 1974-1979, 2 consecutively twice, from 1945-1951 and 1964-1970 and 3 consecutively once from 1997-2010.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The Tory rebels,both pro and anti-EU,are full of wind and piss.May will cling on and on like a hard lump of turd caught up in the hairs around one's rectum.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,593

The Tory rebels,both pro and anti-EU,are full of wind and piss.May will cling on and on like a hard lump of turd caught up in the hairs around one's rectum.

May I suggest more fibre in your diet?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

Now that is some vivid imagery.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Todays Tesco Strawberries score is a record breaking 11 (eleven!).

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Fife
    Staffordshire
    Leicestershire
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Essex
    Kent
    Surrey
    Somerset

That's gains of Fife, Essex and Surrey and a loss in Berkshire.

I think (as voiced by the Guardian yesterday) the Great Strawberry Famine is no longer the top concern.

It is the Great Au Pair Famine.

What use are strawberries in abundance, if there is no free labour from Gudrun to prepare them & serve them to your children.
    I did suggest here about seven years ago that it wouldn't be long before the metropolitan upper-middle classes looked upon domestic servants as a necessity.

And would blame the government if they weren't available in sufficiently cheap and servile numbers.
    That was remarkably prescient of you.

The big downside to Brexit is the end to slave labour for the metropolitan upper middle-classes.

That is why the howls have been so loud from the illiberals.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

But piss and wind would be quite effective agents for removing such a lump.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Yaroo!
    Congratulations !
    (Though that does sound disturbingly like a Boris Johnson expostulation....)
    2 weeks of sunshine & Scotland winning something gave me an attack of the Bunters.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Mrs Thatcher was fine after the vote -- until the Cabinet told her she was off. It would be the same now. (Hmm. I might watch the Margaret DVD tonight.)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

But piss and wind would be quite effective agents for removing such a lump if shoving the shower head up your arse was unsuccessful.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938
    Ishmael_Z said:

Jesus Christ. That's the post of the day.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

But piss and wind would be quite effective agents for removing such a lump if shoving the shower head up your arse was unsuccessful.
    PB.com - elevated and sophisticated political commentary :)
  • Options
    Some of us are eating.

Can we please have some decorum on PB.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I am unfortunately something of an expert on this matter since Mrs BJ requires manual evacuations daily
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Some of us are eating.

Are you having pineapple with your decorum?
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    JackW said:

Some of us are eating.

Are you having pineapple with your decorum?
    And I was just thinking of making myself a sandwich. Think I'll give it a miss.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I am unfortunately something of an expert on this matter since Mrs BJ requires manual evacuations daily
    You might have been accused previously of being all full of piss and wind but none of us may have contemplated quite how so !!!!!!!!!!! .. :astonished:
  • Options

Some of us are eating.

https://decorum-shop.co.uk/

Always happy to oblige Mr Eagles.

I recommend the Kamira Lanterns
  • Options
    JackW said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

You might have been accused previously of being all full of piss and wind but none of us may have contemplated quite how so !!!!!!!!!!! .. :astonished:
    More full of shite TBF!!!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

I draw your attention to the piss and wind related posts below....You don't live in London, and the parts of London nearest to you are areas like Brexit-central Havering. You haven't the slightest clue how badly the Tories' credibility has taken a knocking in London proper.
  • Options

Some of us are eating.

Decorum rhymes with Santorum.

Just sayin'.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

I draw your attention to the piss and wind related posts below....You don't live in London, and the parts of London nearest to you are areas like Brexit-central Havering. You haven't the slightest clue how badly the Tories' credibility has taken a knocking in London proper.
    Actually I spent half of Saturday canvassing in Blackheath so I suggest you don't be so presumptive!

I am not saying the Tories are going to win Lewisham East but as they normally get about 20-30% of the vote in the constituency if a lot of the Labour vote went LD and it becomes a 3-way race anything could happen, especially if it is a low turnout
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Actually I spent half of Saturday canvassing in Blackheath so I suggest you don't be so presumptive!

I am not saying the Tories are going to win Lewisham East but as they normally get about 20-30% of the vote in the constituency if a lot of the Labour vote went LD and it becomes a 3-way race anything could happen, especially if it is a low turnout
    Anything could happen translates as Labour is bound to win.

The Tories will be lucky to come second. Ringing the doorbell isn't sufficient; you need to listen to what people say to you on the doorstep.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    edited June 2018
    Sean_F said:

Please explain how by ousting May the Brexiteers in the Tory party are making it more likely that Corbyn will be PM.

The Tory Leavers are now toxic nationally. By keeping them on some kind of leash, Theresa is at least getting a bit of respect. Were she to go and a Leaver take over, then the country's disgust and fury would know no limits. The Tory Leavers make Corbyn look palatable.
    Tory Leavers are about a third of the voters, so plainly not that toxic.
    Dawning overstates his case but there's an element of truth there. May is just Remainy enough to keep the mild Remain right-leaners onside vs Corbyn. I don't think a eurosceptic that was key to bringing her down would be. As long as she delivers FoM and SM exit, plus a CU planned exit date, it would be smart to keep her in position for the deal. They should then focus on getting a charismatic younger leader in for 2020 to defeat Corbyn and prepare for CU exit. Get Raab or Mordaunt in if they want to leave.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Havering is part of London last time I checked. Or should we only consider those parts of the capital to be ‘London proper’ which happen to share your views on Brexit? The Tories’ secular decline in the capital predates the EU referendum. You can see similar trends in the US.

More Londoners voted for Brexit than for Sadiq Khan.

Just out of curiosity, were you born and bred in the capital?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Havering is part of London last time I checked. Or should we only consider those parts of the capital to be ‘London proper’ which happen to share your views on Brexit? The Tories’ secular decline in the capital predates the EU referendum. You can see similar trends in the US.

Well said
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Anything could happen translates as Labour is bound to win.

The Tories will be lucky to come second. Ringing the doorbell isn't sufficient; you need to listen to what people say to you on the doorstep.
    The Tories are obviously not going to win diehard Remainers however long they spend on the doorstep but some of them will go LD not Labour.

If the 2/3 of voters in the seat who voted Remain split equally between Labour and the LDs and the Tories win almost all the 1/3 of the voters who voted Leave simple mathematics tells you under FPTP that would be a close result.
  • Options
    Im off to .........

Bon Apetit
  • Options
    One last thing at the next PB gathering if there was a fire alarm

Please ensure you dont stand next to me if there is a requirement to evacuate
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

The word is "dingleberry"
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

What is "London Proper?". If it's the LCC plus Brent, Haringey, Newham, I'd agree. In the rest of Greater London, the Tories are very competitive.
  • Options
    PurplePurple Posts: 150
    edited June 2018
    Are these the only ERG members in the cabinet?

Michael Gove (DEFRA)
    Penny Mordaunt (Internat Devt)
    David Gauke (Justice)
    Sajid Javid (Home Office)
    Andrea Leadsom (Leader of Commons)
    Chris Grayling (Transport)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767

Omnium said:

Yes, but this is not too far off the right odds.

So in this example I imagine it's just someone who thinks the Tories have greater than 0.1% chance of winning. (And it's not me)

There is some activity on BF that is associated with Indian bookmakers and the like. I don't think that there's a great percentage of such activity which has anything to do with money-laundering. I'd be very interested in any actual examples which suggest the contrary though.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Has there ever been a more repulsive human being than Donald Trump?
  • Options
    Roger said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn47sY8gAyU
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2018
    I'm intending to visit Lewisham East on Wednesday. I'll report back to PB if I discover anything interesting about the by-election.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    He has been making odd noises recently. Is he working up to jumping ship?
  • Options
    His use of the words 'worst possible' outcome lead me to believe that if that is the outcome being looked for, he might actually back a remain option in a referendum on deal, no deal or stay, which given developments (or lack thereof) is no longer that bad an idea to have all 3 on the table.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

His use of the words 'worst possible' outcome lead me to believe that if that is the outcome being looked for, he might actually back a remain option in a referendum on deal, no deal or stay, which given developments (or lack thereof) is no longer that bad an idea to have all 3 on the table.
    Of all the prominent Leavers I judge that in retrospect he most regrets the campaign.
  • Options
    Attending a panel session with Hannan at the 2016 Party Conference was enough to convince me that he’s a twerp. He’s never had a job outside journalism or politics, and it really shows.

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Attending a panel session with Hannan at the 2016 Party Conference was enough to convince me that he’s a twerp. He’s never had a job outside journalism or politics, and it really shows.

Theresa May kyboshed his chances of a safe seat. She went up in my estimation when she did that.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Roger said:

I guess you aren't a fan - but yes I can think of quite a few actually in history. He hasn't yet started any questionable wars which have subsequently led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of mostly Muslim people for a start.

Being boorish, tweeting things People find offensive and upsetting the rest of the G7 are hardly the worst crimes in the history of humanity.
  • Options
    Roger said:

You have to give him credit for attention to detail.... even in the smaller things, he’s a complete arsehole:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/10/trump-papers-filing-system-635164
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited June 2018
    LOL - Love it Guy!

Trump is such a tool / turd / c*nt! Deserves all the cr*p coming his way.
  • Options
    I should comission polling to settle the eternal "Mendacious or Moron" conundrum I have with Hannah.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I should comission polling to settle the eternal "Mendacious or Moron" conundrum I have with Hannah.

I believe the meme is “why not both?”.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

I actually expect that Havering has many if not more true Londoners (who were born and/or grew up there) than much of inner London these days. It is full of people who grew up in boroughs like Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Newham.

Since 1965 Romford is just as much legally London as Westminster or Camden.

Only the sneering liberal chattering classes - who think themselves so superior - would suggest the area isn't London - but that doesn't mean like other parts of the GLA area it doesn't retain allegiances to historic counties like Essex, Kent, Surrey and Middlesex.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,842
    Toms said:

Afraid it is "Dangleberry"
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Theresa May kyboshed his chances of a safe seat. She went up in my estimation when she did that.
    Let’s savour this moment of agreement :smile:
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,243
    July Plot?

,,Es lebe das heilige Brexit!"
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

We agree a little more often than you suggest!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,055

In fact won 4 figures today betting on Scotland at various intervals

The under over innings was 235 in over 1

The 15 over under/over score was 64 in over3.

The 30 over under/over score in play score was 170 then 181

The 40 Over in play score was 258

All winners

Always bet against a 4 Yorkshiremen England!!!

Congrats.

Although there were FIVE Yorkshire players in the England team - Bairstow, Root, Willey, Plunkett and Rashid.

I don't know how often that has happened before - probably a few recent ODIs - but there were certainly five Yorkshire players at the Oval in 1938.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Random betting thought: Why are Labour so presumed to lose vote share in Lewisham East? They got 68% last time but are 7/1 to get 70%+ on Thursday. That's despite a rise in the number of super-safe Labour seats of late in their heartlands, and a rise in the Labour share in the Tooting by-election.

Not saying I'd have it odds on, but where is the rationale for a drop in vote share being nearly inevitable coming from?
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Don’t tell AC Grayling - I don’t want you to get in trouble for fraternising with the enemy :tongue:
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

Don’t tell AC Grayling - I don’t want you to get in trouble for fraternising with the enemy :tongue:
    This seems as good a moment as any to point out I strongly disagree with AC Grayling and Lord Adonis. Because of pb’s userbase, this is not a point I usually get to make.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

I actually expect that Havering has many if not more true Londoners (who were born and/or grew up there) than much of inner London these days. It is full of people who grew up in boroughs like Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Newham.

Only the sneering liberal chattering classes - who think themselves so superior - would suggest the area isn't London - but that doesn't mean like other parts of the GLA area it doesn't retain allegiances to historic counties like Essex, Kent, Surrey and Middlesex.
    Havering probably has more people who were born in London than some London boroughs have of people who were born in Britain.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Havering probably has more people who were born in London than some London boroughs have of people who were born in Britain.
    So?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,408
    edited June 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

I don't think Havering likes to be reminded that it's in Greater London. Seriously, the demographics and campaigning style of Andrew Rosindell make it very different to the rest of London.

As for Lewisham- yes, there's a Conservative-inclined vote left around Blackheath, and another around Catford / Grove Park. Trouble is that it's hard to bag both those votes at once; tickle one and you annoy the other.
  • Options

So?

Greater London has been a legal entity since 1965.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

So?
    It seems that people who have lived all their lives in London can be referred to as not 'proper' Londoners.

Perhaps London is now more of a state of mind than an actual place or it is a Schroedinger's London where its borders can simultaneously stretch to encompass the whole world and shrink to discard Havering and its like.

Surely there must be degrees in 'London Studies' at the more mickey mouse universities ?

If not there might be a whole new opportunity for a Prof. Alastair Meeks.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

So?
    It seems that people who have lived all their lives in London can be referred to as not 'proper' Londoners.

Perhaps London is now more of a state of mind than an actual place or it is a Schroedinger's London where its borders can simultaneously stretch to encompass the whole world and shrink to discard Havering and its like.

Surely there must be degrees in 'London Studies' at the more mickey mouse universities ?

Interesting how you dehumanise people based on where they’re born. For most people in London, it’s not where you’re from it’s where you’re at.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Toms said:

There is some dispute over that - but given your preferred word also describes an edible berry (amongst other things...), the former is probably correct.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

What is "London Proper?". If it's the LCC plus Brent, Haringey, Newham, I'd agree. In the rest of Greater London, the Tories are very competitive.
    Waltham Forest?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Difficult to believe Trump is using the phrase "stabbed in the back", as the front page of the Times is reporting.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

I don't think Havering likes to be reminded that it's in Greater London. Seriously, the demographics and campaigning style of Andrew Rosindell make it very different to the rest of London.

As for Lewisham- yes, there's a Conservative-inclined vote left around Blackheath, and another around Catford / Grove Park. Trouble is that it's hard to bag both those votes at once; tickle one and you annoy the other.
    The Conservatives haven't won in the Lewisham part of Blackheath since about 1990, possibly 1986.
  • Options
    A remarkable story from 1976 Korea about how pruning a tree almost precipitated nuclear war:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/06/axe-murder-north-korea-1976/562028/
  • Options

So?

Greater London has been a legal entity since 1965.

Probably quite a lot of residents of Outer London identify more strongly with their hinterland than with Inner London.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Waltham Forest?
    Waltham Forest and Newham were parts of Essex until 1965.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Waltham Forest?
    Definitely in the North of the borough.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

So?

Interesting how you dehumanise people based on where they’re born. For most people in London, it’s not where you’re from it’s where you’re at.
    And how am I dehumanising anyone ?

I didn't refer to 'London proper'.

Nor have I referred to people as 'carrot-munchers' and 'yokels' as you have to those who don't live in London.
  • Options
    Matt very good again.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Difficult to believe Trump is using the phrase "stabbed in the back", as the front page of the Times is reporting.

Has he been making accusations about Ed Miliband ?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2018
    Purple said:

Roger said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn47sY8gAyU
    Thanks Purple. I've just watched the 40 minute documentary on Mussolini.I knew very little about him other than some art deco buildings. A really interesting story and very well told.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Nigelb said:

Roger said:

You have to give him credit for attention to detail.... even in the smaller things, he’s a complete arsehole:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/10/trump-papers-filing-system-635164
    So Trump's a germophile but not a messophile. Or perhaps after he's torn up some papers he juts his chin and runs out of the room, expecting them to be removed by the time he comes back. Then again, while like Mussolini he hates shaking hands he may not be as great a germophile as he makes out. Perhaps one day Putin will release a tape and we'll find out.

Robert Maxwell used to wipe his bum with a towel.

I'm wondering whether Trump will kook out in Singapore.
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Toms said:

There is some dispute over that - but given your preferred word also describes an edible berry (amongst other things...), the former is probably correct.
    For goodness sake, the correct word is "dag"! As in "rattle your dags!"
  • Options

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

Waltham Forest?
    Waltham Forest and Newham were parts of Essex until 1965.
    I am aware of that.
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.