Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Threatened women live longest. Bet against Theresa May going q

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378

Scott_P said:
    Does anyone know if that means all three of Canada, USA and Mexico automatically qualify?
    I believe all three qualify because the World Cup will now feature 48 teams.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Scott_P said:
    Does anyone know if that means all three of Canada, USA and Mexico automatically qualify?
    That's bloody stupid number. 32 is more than enough.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,882

Mr. P, the triple approach seems really odd to me. I thought the point of hosting it in one (or occasionally two) countries was to help cut travel costs for fans. That world cup will be spread across thousands of miles. However, at least it isn't as dodgy as Russia or Abu Dhabi.

Qatar, my friend ;)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Sandpit, ah, right, sorry. And thanks.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Scott_P said:
    Guardian liveblog says it will need to be confirmed by FIFA Council, but both Japan and South Korea automatically qualified when they were joint hosts, so with 48 teams seems very likely.

Bit of a nonsense all round.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    It will also lead to the potential for another disgrace of Gijón with three team groups.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Scott_P said:
    It will also lead to the potential for another disgrace of Gijón with three team groups.
    The seeding will be interesting too. I guess they'll have at least four pots of eight teams (perhaps a fifth pot of 16 teams) and pair the groups (e.g. 1, 4, 5 paired with 2, 3, 5).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Stronger performance so far from TM
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:
    Will the wall be built by then?

Logistically, that is going to be hell of task. Massive distances between cities and across borders.
    I think it's about the same as Brazil in terms of distances, the issue will be if group games get split between Mexico and the US/Canada. Also, what happens in terms of the hosts being already qualified, seems mental to have three already qualified teams.
    I would have thought that Groups would be organised to reduce travelling. Eg one group is based on the US East Coast plus Toronto, another on the West Coast plus Mexico City. Bit hard on Vancouver of course!
    Just hope a Latino team doesn’t try to go overland from Mexico to the US.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited June 2018

Scott_P said:
    Three team groups? With an extra knock-out round?
  • Options

Abu Dhabi is that lovely place where we race F1 cars in November. Qatar is that horrible place where the World Cup will be in 2022, if they manage to finish building the stadia and infrastructure.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280

She was very caring on her answer on Grenfell
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Meeks,

I recently had an Amazon review of my latest e-book 'our foolish ways' that was so over the top, I suspected it was someone like you taking the piss. It was worthy of Mr T. Mr Dancer is probably the one who would be able to spot them, though.

• Options
    "Backstop or Backslide"
  • Options
    White Paper not ready for June Summit

As KLE said Pathetic
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

About (something) time!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    48 teams !

How many slots will Europe get.
  • Options
    Best I have seen Theresa for a while
  • Options
    is the Qatar World Cup still on?

I confess to feeling much less enthusiastic about this coming one. 52 years of hurt is turning into 52 years of indifference.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Yes.
  • Options

About (something) time!
    She has expressed her regrets a few times to the way she dealt with the immediate aftermath
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    As ever, T May is answering a question with a question. Does she know it's called "Prime Minister's Questions" for a reason?
  • Options

Would agree with that

Good joke about Labour Live too
  • Options
    murali_s said:

As ever, T May is answering a question with a question. Does she know it's called "Prime Minister's Questions" for a reason?

For the first time in a few weeks I call that PMQ's a solid win for TM
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    The 48 team/3 hosts World Cup makes it likely that England/Scotland/Wales launch a joint bid for 2030.
  • Options

Would agree with that

Good joke about Labour Live too
    Good for us to agree BJO
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:
    Will the wall be built by then?

Logistically, that is going to be hell of task. Massive distances between cities and across borders.
    I think it's about the same as Brazil in terms of distances, the issue will be if group games get split between Mexico and the US/Canada. Also, what happens in terms of the hosts being already qualified, seems mental to have three already qualified teams.
    I would have thought that Groups would be organised to reduce travelling. Eg one group is based on the US East Coast plus Toronto, another on the West Coast plus Mexico City. Bit hard on Vancouver of course!
    Just hope a Latino team doesn’t try to go overland from Mexico to the US.
    We'll be 10 years into the Trumpreich by then, Mexico will be a giant prison camp!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

murali_s said:

She did better than last week. Both got in powerful punchlines. However, she spoils it when she is winning, by then referring back to the last Labour government (8 years ago) and everyone groans.
  • Options

murali_s said:

Wouldnt go that far myself but definitely a massive improvement on last few PMQs

I suspect Sun Politics would agree.

Bercow in a right tangle. Apparently doesnt know the rules.
  • Options

The 48 team/3 hosts World Cup makes it likely that England/Scotland/Wales launch a joint bid for 2030.

Yes, I was about to say that too. FIFA doesn't much like England, but I think the celtic fringes will get us some sympathy. Wales only has one stadium worthy of use and Scotland two, out of 15, 12 would be in England.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Centenary of the inaugural World Cup. It would be nice for Uruguay to host it but they'd need Argentina and Chile too.

China has to have a chance for 2030 or 2034.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem of including RoI in a joint bid. Games in Cardiff, Dublin and Glasgow would be good.
  • Options
    Ian Blackford about to chucked out.
  • Options
    Scenes.
  • Options
    Bercow clashing with Blackford in big way
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Yes.
    So two group matches or four group matches per team?
  • Options
    Yay he’s getting chucked out.
  • Options

Yes, that would be an awesome bid.

(Avoids obvious joke about Scotland and Wales being over the moon to qualify).
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    SNP martyring themselves
  • Options
    Entire SNP delegation walks out.
  • Options
    Bercow completely lost it.

SNP have left
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes.
    Two group games, top two through to round of 32. Knockout from there. It's stupid.

My ideal World Cup would be:

Eight groups of four.
    Group winners qualify for second group stage.
    Two group winners from stage 2 play in the final. The side with the best record in the group stages win if the final is a draw after extra time.
  • Options

Bercow completely lost it.

SNP have left

He acting entirely in accordance with House rules and i would add I do not like Bercow
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

That's stolen the PM's good headlines!
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Following on guardian live blog, don't understand what that was about. Why did he want the House to sit in private?
  • Options
    PMQs is in danger of sounding interesting.
  • Options

Following on guardian live blog, don't understand what that was about. Why did he want the House to sit in private?
    Took exception to yesterday procedures
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes, I was about to say that too. FIFA doesn't much like England, but I think the celtic fringes will get us some sympathy. Wales only has one stadium worthy of use and Scotland two, out of 15, 12 would be in England.
    Scotland would have 3/4 stadiums.

Ibrox, Parkhead, Hampden, and possibly Murrayfield.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Centenary of the inaugural World Cup. It would be nice for Uruguay to host it but they'd need Argentina and Chile too.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem of including RoI in a joint bid. Games in Cardiff, Dublin and Glasgow would be good.
    The danger would be that we'd have two nations as part of the bid that only had one stadium each, that's a precedent that FIFA don't want to set.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, stadia*.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Wembley
    Emirates (or the other lot's ground if the pitch is any good)
    Villa Park
    Hillsborough
    Old Trafford
    Anfield
    Millennium Stadium
    Aviva Stadium
    Parkhead
    Murrayfield
    St James Park
    Stadium of Light
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

MaxPB said:

Murrayfield would be a near certainty in any Scots/UK bid – as it's in Edinburgh, where the shopping and nightlife is good (a major consideration for Fifa families).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited June 2018

That's stolen the PM's good headlines!
    May wins and the SNP walk off in a huff, double the good headlines for Tory Unionists!
  • Options
    That's another fifty odd enemies for Bercow, even if 'odd' is the right word. He'll end up with a dirk in his back.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

MaxPB said:

Isn't there a rule about there not being more than x host stadia in one city? Pretty sure that Glasgow wouldn't be allowed three.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Wembley
    Villa Park
    Hillsborough
    Old Trafford
    Anfield
    Millennium Stadium
    Aviva Stadium
    Parkhead
    Murrayfield
    St James Park
    Stadium of Light
    I'd add new WHL (three in London, which is the limit) and the Etihad. 14 in total. Unfortunately we'd end up with the Olympic Stadium featuring somehow with it's dire atmosphere.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes.
    Two group games, top two through to round of 32. Knockout from there. It's stupid.

My ideal World Cup would be:

Eight groups of four.
    Group winners qualify for second group stage.
    Two group winners from stage 2 play in the final. The side with the best record in the group stages win if the final is a draw after extra time.
    That's a smart format – I would add in a round of 16 as in some groups you would end up with two strong teams in the same group.

Eight groups of four

Top two qualify for round of 16 (winners vs runners up from paired group)

Then into final group stage of eight as you suggest.

Better ranking splitting draws AET in the final is an awesome idea.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

That's another fifty odd enemies for Bercow, even if 'odd' is the right word. He'll end up with a dirk in his back.

35 I think
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited June 2018

It looked planned the way it occurred. Not spontaneous. It smacks of a hollow stunt that most people will see through.

I think the Mace being moved has more symbolism. Michael Heseltine and John Mcdonnell have both centered their protests on the Mace. Interestingly John Mcdonnell did his Mace turn against his own Government!
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited June 2018
    £

• Options

MaxPB said:

Isn't there a rule about there not being more than x host stadia in one city? Pretty sure that Glasgow wouldn't be allowed three.
    It was two but the limit has been raised to three for 48 team world cups.
  • Options
    Mr G

"35 I think"

Sorry, you're right, I'm out of date.

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Every single SNP MP made a point of order at the end yesterday so you would have thought they had it out of their systems but apparently not.

That said, it did seem that Bercow effectively ignored the rules for convenience, which is a little ironic given his answer to all of those points of order was that whilst the debate yesterday was unsatisfactory, it did not break any rules.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The danger would be that we'd have two nations as part of the bid that only had one stadium each, that's a precedent that FIFA don't want to set.
    The bigger issue is probably the Welsh, Scottish and Irish associations wanting nothing to do with the English FA due to fears it might affect their independence.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

To do an ENG/SCO/WAL treble bid we'd need to invest in a second Welsh ground – almost certainly the Liberty Stadium in Swansea as the Millennium Stadium will be used for sure in Cardiff.

It would require some – but not ridiculous – investment to take it up to 34,000 capacity or so.

You can't have a host nation with just one venue – not allowed by Fifa rules AIUI.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2018
    Sandpit said:

Abu Dhabi is that lovely place where we race F1 cars in November. Qatar is that horrible place where the World Cup will be in 2022, if they manage to finish building the stadia and infrastructure.
    Qatar is that lovely place which still has the death penalty in place for Muslim gay men and anyone who has sex outside marriage.

Abu Dhabi just locks them up for up to 14 years.

Isn't it shocking that a country which has capital punishment for having sexual relations with the wrong person - or just the suspicion of it - is hosting the football World Cup. And yet there is little comment about it.

Or is it just we are happy to turn a blind eye in some countries while expressing outrage when it happens in others.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The bigger issue is probably the Welsh, Scottish and Irish associations wanting nothing to do with the English FA due to fears it might affect their independence.
    Yup, England can host a world cup on its own which also helps.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603

Mr. Eagles, stadia*.

Grounds.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    That's easy for you to say when you support a major footballing nation. Millions of avid fans worldwide have almost no chance of seeing their country at a World Cup when it is limited to 32 places. The key, as @tlg86 suggests downthread, is coming up with a better format.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

To do an ENG/SCO/WAL treble bid we'd need to invest in a second Welsh ground – almost certainly the Liberty Stadium in Swansea as the Millennium Stadium will be used for sure in Cardiff.

It would require some – but not ridiculous – investment to take it up to 34,000 capacity or so.

You can't have a host nation with just one venue – not allowed by Fifa rules AIUI.
    Can't we just reclassify Liverpool as being in Wales?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    That's easy for you to say when you support a major footballing nation. Millions of avid fans worldwide have almost no chance of seeing their country at a World Cup when it is limited to 32 places. The key, as @tlg86 suggests downthread, is coming up with a better format.
    We might as well scrap qualifying then, just have everybody go and have a better format when there.

FIFA aren't doing it for any other reason than to make more money.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

No !!!!!
  • Options
    England going to be chasing in the ODI.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    We might as well scrap qualifying then, just have everybody go and have a better format when there.

:D

Even entire continents would struggle to schedule fixtures between 211 teams in a six week period!!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871

Yay he’s getting chucked out.

The Westminster softies don't like it up em, bunch of woosies
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

Well Wales have used it as a home ground in the past!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    With a bit of luck the ongoing SNP transition into SF will result in them permanently refusing to take their seats.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:

Even entire continents would struggle to schedule fixtures between 211 teams in a six week period!!
    You could just do a pre-qualifying tournament for smaller nations like the cricket world cup used to do.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Every single SNP MP made a point of order at the end yesterday so you would have thought they had it out of their systems but apparently not.

That said, it did seem that Bercow effectively ignored the rules for convenience, which is a little ironic given his answer to all of those points of order was that whilst the debate yesterday was unsatisfactory, it did not break any rules.
    Don't be a thick turnip, Westminster has just torn up devolution, there will be far more trouble to come for sure.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,320
    Maybe the SNP could flounce out of the Commons for the whole next 9 months and make Theresa’s job a whole lot easier.
  • Options

It looked planned the way it occurred. Not spontaneous. It smacks of a hollow stunt that most people will see through.

I think the Mace being moved has more symbolism. Michael Heseltine and John Mcdonnell have both centered their protests on the Mace. Interestingly John Mcdonnell did his Mace turn against his own Government!
    only most sleazy tories you mean
  • Options
    Ooh, PMQs sounds like it was fun. Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the actual situation Bercow’s just made three dozen more enemies.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Wembley
    Villa Park
    Hillsborough
    Old Trafford
    Anfield
    Millennium Stadium
    Aviva Stadium
    Parkhead
    Murrayfield
    St James Park
    Stadium of Light
    I'd add new WHL (three in London, which is the limit) and the Etihad. 14 in total. Unfortunately we'd end up with the Olympic Stadium featuring somehow with it's dire atmosphere.
    One has at least to respectfully ask the question about Croke Park and perhaps even 1-2 other of the larger GAA venues.

In spreading things about, stadia of around 30k capacity are eligible and appropriate for third seed vs fourth seed games, so one could try and work in a SW venue (though I can't think of one further West than St Mary's)

Our problem is ruling out stadia rather than ruling in.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

With a bit of luck the ongoing SNP transition into SF will result in them permanently refusing to take their seats.

But the subsidy junk SNP will still claim their allowances.

Who can forget women of the people Mhairi Black travelling first class.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/paisleys-snp-mps-defend-travel-8925654
  • Options
    I think 32 teams is enough. Since its inception, 79 teams have played at the finals. I can't imagine expanding it to 48 teams will make much difference. It'll just mean the same middling teams qualifying regularly.
  • Options

Maybe the SNP could flounce out of the Commons for the whole next 9 months and make Theresa’s job a whole lot easier.

Simply open a free grievance stall 100yd down the road and you'll never see them again.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ooh, PMQs sounds like it was fun. Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the actual situation Bercow’s just made three dozen more enemies.

It's only 1pm. It's still going on, of course.
  • Options
    On top of the staff allegations and the SNP furore, is there a real chance that we'll have a new Speaker before the recess?
  • Options
    Just imagine if there's a tie in one of the votes today.

Ian Blackford's gonna feel sicker than a cyclist with piles.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Be no need for seats soon
  • Options

TGOHF said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/paisleys-snp-mps-defend-travel-8925654
    You absolute thick balloon , there is only one class of travel
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Pro_Rata said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Wembley
    Villa Park
    Hillsborough
    Old Trafford
    Anfield
    Millennium Stadium
    Aviva Stadium
    Parkhead
    Murrayfield
    St James Park
    Stadium of Light
    One has at least to respectfully ask the question about Croke Park and perhaps even 1-2 other of the larger GAA venues.

In spreading things about, stadia of around 30k capacity are eligible and appropriate for third seed vs fourth seed games, so one could try and work in a SW venue (though I can't think of one further West than St Mary's)

Aston Gate in Bristol has 27,000.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

You absolute thick balloon , there is only one class of travel
    You really are thick as pig crap Malcolm.

All but one of these trips was a Business UK ticket, with the other, a £108 economy seat flying from the city’s Stansted Airport to Glasgow Airport.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Sandpit said:

Qatar is that lovely place which still has the death penalty in place for Muslim gay men and anyone who has sex outside marriage.

Abu Dhabi just locks them up for up to 14 years.

Isn't it shocking that a country which has capital punishment for having sexual relations with the wrong person - or just the suspicion of it - is hosting the football World Cup. And yet there is little comment about it.

Or is it just we are happy to turn a blind eye in some countries while expressing outrage when it happens in others.
    No, it's more an inability to concentrate on more than one thing at a time. I'm sure there'll be plenty of comment on Qatar as a host over the next four years.

I very much hope that they do get to keep the World Cup. It'll do no end of good for the world to see how poor a spectacle it'll be, with the lack of fans.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    edited June 2018
    Tbf to the SNP, which is not my natural inclination, 15 mins to debate devolved powers does seem less than optimal.
  • Options
    They have been predicting Theresa May's political demise for some time now -although clearly -barring some Falklands like transformation in her fortunes, the Tories are not going to allow her to fight another general election.

As to the author's big red number, I believe that the Tories would be best to elect a current non runner as the next leader. Not Boris Johnson who is a vote winner for the opposition. Not Sajid Javid who looks like a Bond villain who has lost his cat. Not Rees Mogg who sounds as he has a had a pineapple rammed up his arse.

My red number would be next to Dominic Raab closely followed by Matt Hancock. They would be the sensible choice but with all the current wind and bluster sense may not be the deciding factor.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Wembley
    Villa Park
    Hillsborough
    Old Trafford
    Anfield
    Millennium Stadium
    Aviva Stadium
    Parkhead
    Murrayfield
    St James Park
    Stadium of Light

Ashton Gate in Bristol has 27,000.
    That'd do.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I'd happily pay them double not to turn up ever.

• Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:

You could just do a pre-qualifying tournament for smaller nations like the cricket world cup used to do.
    The cricket world cup still does.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:

The cricket world cup still does.
    Yes unfortunately it is a year in advance. They should dovetail them.
This discussion has been closed.