Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited September 2013 in General

Comments

• Options
    Mike posted this earlier

Site announcement

We are hoping to replace the server tonight and there might be more down time
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Still waiting for tim!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    And thanks again Harry. These posts are much appreciated!
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Thanks Harry. You've certainly been busy!
  • Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527
    edited September 2013
    Now that is a good smattering of elections. That Storrington one looks ripe for UKIP.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Still waiting for tim!

HI Tim.
  • Options
    The Blackpool one will be interesting. Very close thing between Labour and Tory last time.
  • Options
    Forgot to say, thank you to Harry who's insight and work that goes into the local election analysis is brilliant.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to think that Miliband's speech was the worst by a party leader in British political history. Even the Quiet Man didn't set in motion a tidal wave of Wilson/Sunny Jim anti-nostalgia to sweep across the country. At best Miliband is going to get blamed for every energy price hike between now and 2015; at worst he'll be remembered as the man who turned Britain into a business pariah state. Poor show!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Tim is under the duvet with his Mrs Salmond pics and a box of kleenex.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Cheers for the article, Mr. Hayfield.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    The speaking without notes business has gone far enough. It makes for poorly thought through speeches that are full of repetitive cliches (we are better than that). Who would base a manifesto on an off the cuff speech? But that is what we will get.

It was an electrifying novelty in 2007 when Dave started the trend, and pointed out his charisma and natural charm to counterpoint Brown's wooden politburo style. It should be consigned to history as the gimmick it was, and the teleprompter brought back.

The backdrop benches of multicoloured SPAD wanabees needs to be consigned to history also.

I'm beginning to think that Miliband's speech was the worst by a party leader in British political history. Even the Quiet Man didn't set in motion a tidal wave of Wilson/Sunny Jim anti-nostalgia to sweep across the country. At best Miliband is going to get blamed for every energy price hike between now and 2015; at worst he'll be remembered as the man who turned Britain into a business pariah state. Poor show!

• Options
    Big figures in energy from earlier in the week. Centrica has written off £240 million put forward on two gas storage projects, after the government refused to intervene in the market.

http://www.offshoreenergytoday.com/centrica-scraps-north-sea-gas-storage-project/

Note: this was before, and unconnected to, Miliband's speech.
  • Options
    http://www.npower.com/home/index.htm

I have to say, that is some cracking free advertising for Ed M's policy.

You couldn't pay for it, lucky really, as Labour doesn't have much money to spend.
  • Options
    "The backdrop benches of multicoloured SPAD wanabees needs to be consigned to history also." - Totally agree, it looks like a Communist China shindig
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Scottish Power are doing a 2017 freeze too
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited September 2013
    Barnsley, Blackpool, Churnwell....

Thank's HH for your weekly thread. As highlighted above it may be a repeated series of inconclusivity so: Good-luck to Junior on the server up-grade!*

I'll try to annoy roaming Llhamas (if they can be found) on the 'morrow if service is not available.... :D

On a serious point: I will look forward to Mark Senior's analysis. He is not bad at local elections is 'Our' Marque....

* I do expect Dr Andrea to have finished his superb work tonight as well, but; is OGH Jr still on funny-money time...?
  • Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391

The speaking without notes business has gone far enough. It makes for poorly thought through speeches that are full of repetitive cliches (we are better than that). Who would base a manifesto on an off the cuff speech? But that is what we will get.

It was an electrifying novelty in 2007 when Dave started the trend, and pointed out his charisma and natural charm to counterpoint Brown's wooden politburo style. It should be consigned to history as the gimmick it was, and the teleprompter brought back.

The backdrop benches of multicoloured SPAD wanabees needs to be consigned to history also.

There are hints of sense in that otherwise mad and unpleasant post.

Generally, that politics should be more about policy.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

No free advertising for Ed M's policy on Scottish Power website though. Booooooo.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    RedRag1 said:

You couldn't pay for it, lucky really, as Labour doesn't have much money to spend.

Problem is though it's a seriously daft idea when you see past the in your face bribe. With this and the house builders land grab threat Ed has positioned himself as not getting the fact profit is actually a good thing for business - otherwise it won't bother supplying.

My business partner walked in to my office today ( doesn't talk politics but a lifelong soft lefty) and unprovoked declared " Ed is worrying ", as a direct result of his speech and the power and house building bits specifically. There again my business partner has a brain and can think through consequences unlike Ed it seems.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

RedRag1 said:

Problem is though it's a seriously daft idea when you see past the in your face bribe. With this and the house builders land grab threat Ed has positioned himself as not getting the fact profit is actually a good thing for business - otherwise it won't bother supplying.

My business partner walked in to my office today ( doesn't talk politics but a lifelong soft lefty) and unprovoked declared " Ed is worrying ", as a direct result of his speech and the power and house building bits specifically. There again my business partner has a brain and can think through consequences unlike Ed it seems.
    Another thing regards the NPower advert - "Why wait until Ed" is actually predicting Ed M being PM after the next election. Wont have gone down well amongst the many Tory strategists.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

I would not classify any of Foxinsox's posts as either mad or unpleasant. He is one of the more reasonable posters that we get on her.

And I don't count myself as being in their illustrious grouping.

(Even if he is from the inferior city, Leicester).
  • Options
    I think politics has always been as much mood music as policy; always has been, always will be.

A cliche was once a novelty, spoiled by repetition. Daves scriptless style was so, as was the backdrop of party youth, the William Hagues of the future, ordered not to yawn or look bored.

To add to my list of room 101 leaders speech cliche I would also add standing ovations lasting more than 30 seconds. Another innovation brought forward from Stalins speeches in the 1930's. Quite unnessecary and meaningless. IDS got seven minutes of it weeks before his defenestration.Indeed I would go so far as to suggest that the duration of applause is inversely proportional to how secure the leader is.
    R0berts said:

• Options
    Best prices - Dunfermline parliamentary by-election

Lab 2/5 (Ladbrokes)
    SNP 9/4 (Paddy Power)
    LD 33/1
    Grn 100/1
    Ind 100/1
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 150/1
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    RedRag1 said:

welshowl said:

RedRag1 said:

Another thing regards the NPower advert - "Why wait until Ed" is actually predicting Ed M being PM after the next election. Wont have gone down well amongst the many Tory strategists.
    Of course. But it doesn't stop it being daft. Restrict the price of something, increase the regulatory risks, and the incentive to supply or invest drops. The line " investments are made over decades twenty months doesn't matter" is horse poo of the smelliest order. It's the impression that matters, and the energy companies now have it seared into them Ed is a risk and as long as he's on the political scene will remain one for them. They will act ( or not act of course) accordingly. You can invest elsewhere in the world more safely where you haven't got someone threatening to cut you off at the knees - so guess what, they will.
  • Options
    Can I just mention that I was the Conservative candidate who came second in Wombwell in 2010 after improving a place each time I stood over the previous years.

Not bad really, considering that Cortonwood Colliery, the closure of which kicked off the miners strike, is right on the edge of the ward.

I suspect today will confirm the return to the bottom of the pile.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    On Storrington. Circus was head of district council. High local profile. Defeat would be a big deal.
  • Options
    I am sometimes mad and unpleasant, but am merely an adopted resident of Leicester. I am a Lancastrian by birth.

Leicester is home and is middle England literally and figuritively. I love its ordinariness as well as its extraordinariness. It is not inferior, not superior. The city motto says it all "Semper Edis" "always the same. A place where being boring is an attribute.

R0berts said:

I would not classify any of Foxinsox's posts as either mad or unpleasant. He is one of the more reasonable posters that we get on her.

• Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391

I think politics has always been as much mood music as policy; always has been, always will be.

A cliche was once a novelty, spoiled by repetition. Daves scriptless style was so, as was the backdrop of party youth, the William Hagues of the future, ordered not to yawn or look bored.

To add to my list of room 101 leaders speech cliche I would also add standing ovations lasting more than 30 seconds. Another innovation brought forward from Stalins speeches in the 1930's. Quite unnessecary and meaningless. IDS got seven minutes of it weeks before his defenestration.Indeed I would go so far as to suggest that the duration of applause is inversely proportional to how secure the leader is.

R0berts said:

Aye. Suppose we all have our own ideas of how politics "should" be. But we're not ever all going to be happy, democracy for you.

Personally I mostly hate the media prism through which we get a horribly distorted view of politics. I have no idea how to fix THAT, but it's broke!

As for speeches, don't do jokes. No politician has ever made a funny big-speech joke. Ever.

(Btw I didn't like your "multicoloured" thing in the earlier post, which is why I had a go, apologies if I misread that, but it didn't sound nice)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Harry! I know Storrington well - my 96-year-old aunt lived there till recently, still feisty and in the past a regular Tory donor. Very typical little towns and villages all round there - ought to be good UKIP terrain but possibly lacks enough frustration to revolt. People who live in Storrington have done quite well.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    General Election ‏@UKELECTIONS2015

POPULUS POLLING

APATHY WINS

WON'T VOTE / DON'T KNOWS 28%
    LABOUR 28%
    CONS 23%
    LIBDEMS 10%
    UKIP 6%
    GREENS 2%

Do Populus know that it is becoming a bit of a laughing stock?
  • Options

R0berts said:

Was it the IDS speech where one of the TV channels clocked the people at the front who's job it was to get people to stand at the right time? It turned into a disaster. Whether they hide them elsewhere amongst the loyal throng now is a different question.
  • Options
    A great day, Comrades! We sail into history!
  • Options

Paranoia notwithstanding, Stalin was pretty secure, and the longer the standing ovations the more secure he got.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited September 2013
    Freggles said:

Incredible ! When Ed said let's have a price freeze for 20 months, the Tories said we would have blackouts.

As the power companies themselves are offering the same until 2017, I am now expecting power cuts before 2015 !
  • Options

Evening Tim.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Freggles said:

Incredible ! When Ed said let's have a price freeze for 20 months, the Tories said we would have blackouts.

As the power companies themselves are offering the same until 2017, I am now expecting power cuts before 2015 !
    Rubbish - surely it's Marxist propaganda. After all, the press have assured us any effectiveness of such a policy would be marxist fantasy.

• Options
    surbiton said:

Freggles said:

As you are doubtless aware there is a huge difference between a company making an offer in the market on its own terms with its own restrictions that it can end and limit as it sees fit ( eg when x number have signed up) and the power of the State being used to coerce on the State's terms.
  • Options
    No offence taken.I am pretty thick skinned.

I just meant that the backdrop activists are very carefully chosen in order to provide scenery, rather than politically inconvenient ideas. No radicalism allowed, The kids must be smartly dressed, clean and from all groups. But nothing too challenging. No chav bling, no low slung trousers, no jailbait etc

It is like the vicar pretending he is down with the kids. Embarrassing.
    R0berts said:

R0berts said:

It was an electrifying novelty in 2007 when Dave started the trend, and pointed out his charisma and natural charm to counterpoint Brown's wooden politburo style. It should be consigned to history as the gimmick it was

Aye. Suppose we all have our own ideas of how politics "should" be. But we're not ever all going to be happy, democracy for you.

Personally I mostly hate the media prism through which we get a horribly distorted view of politics. I have no idea how to fix THAT, but it's broke!

As for speeches, don't do jokes. No politician has ever made a funny big-speech joke. Ever.

(Btw I didn't like your "multicoloured" thing in the earlier post, which is why I had a go, apologies if I misread that, but it didn't sound nice)
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

Evening Tim.
    Evening, Comrade Tim!
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, it's ironic that Stalin's lieutenants were too afraid to summon a doctor that he was ill, on the basis that they'd be suspected of killing him if he died. Which, of course, he did.

Mr. surbiton, you are aware that there's a significant difference between a voluntary and an involuntary act? It's the difference between choosing to be teetotal and the government introducing prohibition.
  • Options

R0berts said:

Fact: Comrade IDS never lost a GE as Tory Leader!
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    RedRag1 said:

R0berts said:

Was it the IDS speech where one of the TV channels clocked the people at the front who's job it was to get people to stand at the right time? It turned into a disaster. Whether they hide them elsewhere amongst the loyal throng now is a different question.
    Whose, Ash, not who's. And fjord, not field. Got it?

• Options

Mr. surbiton, you are aware that there's a significant difference between a voluntary and an involuntary act? It's the difference between choosing to be teetotal and the government introducing prohibition.

I see. So why has this voluntary act occurred now ?

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Binding and enforceable draft UNSC resolution on Syrian chemical weapons decommissioning agreed by permanent members.

It is not a Chapter VII resolution and there is no provision for referral to the Hague for war crimes prosecution.

Job done. Well done Obama. Well done Putin.
  • Options

Because the marketing dept said " look we can get a bit of quick publicity for a few days".
  • Options
    MikeK said:

POPULUS POLLING

APATHY WINS

LABOUR 28%
    CONS 23%
    LIBDEMS 10%
    UKIP 6%
    GREENS 2%

In normal terms, this translates as

Lab 39%
    Con 32%
    LD 14%
    UKIP 8%
    Green 3%

Why does predicting a 72% turnout make Populus a laughing stock ?

• Options
    Mr. Sevastopol, welcome to pb.com, comrade.

Fixed price deals have existed for many years. They did not blink into the world when Red Ed uttered his speech.
  • Options
    a "bit of publicity" affecting millions of customers.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Scottish census - ethnic minority data finally released:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24282271
  • Options
    "Mr. Sevastopol, welcome to pb.com, comrade."

Thankyou, Comrade.
  • Options

R0berts said:

Fact: Comrade IDS never lost a GE as Tory Leader!
    Everyone is a Comrade deep down, they just don't know it.
  • Options
    Anyone who believes a Tory majority isn't possible in 2015, (because of the old boundaries requiring a lead of about 10% or whatever the reason may be), can get a 30% return from Betfair by betting on both a Labour majority and a hung Parliament.
  • Options

R0berts said:

Dr. Sox, as befits a consultant surgeon, has a fine blogside manner.

• Options

Thankyou, Comrade.

Welcome, Comrade, do you hail from the Crimea?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Fox, totally agree. And the real irony is that David Cameron as a LotO did indeed generate a bit of genuine excitement in the Conference season when the pressure was on him to perform well. But three years into Ed Miliband's tenure as LotO, he really hasn't managed to achieve the same level of interest among the media or the public.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Binding and enforceable draft UNSC resolution on Syrian chemical weapons decommissioning agreed by permanent members.

It is not a Chapter VII resolution and there is no provision for referral to the Hague for war crimes prosecution.

Evening, Comrade Avery! I see you are still in Armchair Warmonger mode?

:)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    MikeK said:

POPULUS POLLING

APATHY WINS

LABOUR 28%
    CONS 23%
    LIBDEMS 10%
    UKIP 6%
    GREENS 2%

Is that a new poll? Looks plausible - 72% turnout would be jolly good. Round up all figures by a third to adjust for the absentees and you get a vaguely plausible set of figures.

• Options
    MikeK said:

POPULUS POLLING

APATHY WINS

LABOUR 28%
    CONS 23%
    LIBDEMS 10%
    UKIP 6%
    GREENS 2%

Evening, Comrade Godfrey!

• Options
    72% turnout is about the same as it was in the 1970, 1983 and 1997 elections.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MikeK said:

POPULUS POLLING

APATHY WINS

LABOUR 28%
    CONS 23%
    LIBDEMS 10%
    UKIP 6%
    GREENS 2%

Lab 39%
    Con 32%
    LD 14%
    UKIP 8%
    Green 3%

I was wondering the same thing. Those Populus figures are totally in line with several other pollsters, so I fail to see why MikeK calls them "a laughing stock", unless he thinks that all pollsters are laughing stocks. Which may well be true.
  • Options

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

POPULUS POLLING

APATHY WINS

LABOUR 28%
    CONS 23%
    LIBDEMS 10%
    UKIP 6%
    GREENS 2%

Lab 39%
    Con 32%
    LD 14%
    UKIP 8%
    Green 3%

I was wondering the same thing. Those Populus figures are totally in line with several other pollsters, so I fail to see why MikeK calls them "a laughing stock", unless he thinks that all pollsters are laughing stocks. Which may well be true.
    The only pollster that isn't a laughing stock is the one showing Labour in the worst position....ask the PBH's.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Most people living in Scotland describe their national identity as being "Scottish only", according to the latest census figures.

Data released from the 2011 census showed 62% described themselves as "Scottish only", while 18% said they were "Scottish and British".

... In total, 83% of the country's population felt some Scottish identity, according to the census.

In Wales in 2011, the census recorded 66% of the population as considering themselves either Welsh only or in combination with another identity.

In England the equivalent figure was 70% and in Northern Ireland 21% thought themselves as being Northern Irish.

In Scotland, 2% said they felt English only, and another 2% felt they had some other combination of UK identities excluding Scottish.

The census showed the proportion of the Scottish population born in Scotland was 83%, with 9% born in England, 0.7% in Northern Ireland and 0.3% in Wales.
  • Options

It hasn't "occurred now".

Fixed price contracts have been available for years.

The customer usually pays an initial premium in return for a guaranteed rate over the term, benefitting if standard prices rise higher than expectation and losing if not.

The option particularly suits customers on fixed incomes such as pensioners.

• Options

AndyJS said:

Most people living in Scotland describe their national identity as being "Scottish only", according to the latest census figures.

Data released from the 2011 census showed 62% described themselves as "Scottish only", while 18% said they were "Scottish and British".

... In total, 83% of the country's population felt some Scottish identity, according to the census.

In Wales in 2011, the census recorded 66% of the population as considering themselves either Welsh only or in combination with another identity.

In England the equivalent figure was 70% and in Northern Ireland 21% thought themselves as being Northern Irish.

In Scotland, 2% said they felt English only, and another 2% felt they had some other combination of UK identities excluding Scottish.

The census showed the proportion of the Scottish population born in Scotland was 83%, with 9% born in England, 0.7% in Northern Ireland and 0.3% in Wales.
    On the face of it, good news for the Yes campaign.
  • Options

Thankyou, Comrade.

Welcome, Comrade, do you hail from the Crimea?
    Thankyou, Comrade Prassannan. I hail from closer to home, but cannot unfortunately reveal my place of origin.

• Options
    Mr. Dickson, I saw that somewhere or other. I hope the stupid proposal to end the census gets shot down.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    surbiton said:

Freggles said:

From Monday, before Ed magically made this happen..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/10327960/Fixed-rate-energy-deals-to-disappear-within-days.html

"But he urged customers to consider longer-term deals where the price is set for several years. Scottish Power, for example, has a Fixed Price Energy January 2017 tariff. Fixed till that date, it equates to a typical annual cost of £1,350 ."
  • Options
    A conference speech is a bit like selling soap powder. The presentation needs to have novelty to get noticed. I am sure that roger can advise on this, as he constantly has to come up with novel ways of selling the same old soap. Politicians face the same problem.

But few other than political activists, PB geeks and a few Westminster press pay any real attention to the words. It is the style rather than the substance that gets noticed.

I am on a roll now: the next candidate for conference cliche room 101: the Leader going over to kiss his wife in the front row at the end, in her carefully chosen dress. Smart, but demure, and not too expensive, and the same goes for the dress.

fitalass said:

Fox, totally agree. And the real irony is that David Cameron as a LotO did indeed generate a bit of genuine excitement in the Conference season when the pressure was on him to perform well. But three years into Ed Miliband's tenure as LotO, he really hasn't managed to achieve the same level of interest among the media or the public.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

On the face of it, good news for the Yes campaign.
    And if you then consider that almost two-thirds of Scots would vote for independence if they were guaranteed to be just £500 better off a year, you start to see that the current 2/9 price (Betfair) on a 'No' vote is preposterously short.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

War, Sunil?

Who is talking of war?

Did you not note my consistent predictions that this would be the outcome.

Even allowing for Chuvapp Miliband doing his best to torpedo HMS Peace and USS Diplomacy.

• Options
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 19s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour 7 point lead. CON 33%, LAB 40%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 11%. Conference bounce fading perhaps.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen 53m
    @jruddy99 @ianabrooks think about it: it undermines out argument: if we're happy you can freeze prices now, why do prices have to be frozen?

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen 55m
    @RedRag1 think about it: if you can freeze prices now, why do we care about rising prices. The point makes no sense

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen 1h
    @jruddy99 I don't think it shows up any hypocrisy. I think it makes those who hint they're the same look like they don't understand markets.

Hopi Sen ‏@hopisen 1h
    Dear fellow lefties: Fixed price offers are not the same as a price freeze. It's like difference between fixed rate mortgage & the base rate
  • Options

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour 7 point lead. CON 33%, LAB 40%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 11%. Conference bounce fading perhaps.

Still in the 40's so still very happy.
  • Options

A conference speech is a bit like selling soap powder. The presentation needs to have novelty to get noticed. I am sure that roger can advise on this, as he constantly has to come up with novel ways of selling the same old soap. Politicians face the same problem.

No one ever sells soap powder. They sell a means to clean, fresh-smelling clothes.

If the presentation of a conference speech is approached with that in mind, it doesn't need to rely on stunts. Just good content and memorable lines that sell the product that you're trying to sell.
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 5s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Most Brits not worried by blackouts. 58% don't think energy price freeze would mean power cuts, 27% think it would.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

Comrades!

YouGov/The Sunil:

Progressives 49%
    Tory/UKIP 44%
  • Options
    edited September 2013

That is a three point fall in Labour's lead since the poll on the eve of Ed's "speech of a life time".

This will be bull to Red Rag.
  • Options

RedRag1 said:

Comrades!

YouGov/The Sunil:

Progressives 49%
    Tory/UKIP 44%
    Forward Comrades!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    edited September 2013
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

War, Sunil?

Who is talking of war?

Did you not note my consistent predictions that this would be the outcome.

Even allowing for Chuvapp Miliband doing his best to torpedo HMS Peace and USS Diplomacy.

Comrade Avery! We agreed the other day that Ed single-handedly saved our Great British Motherland from entering another grubby Mideast war!
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

That is a three point fall in Labour's lead since the poll on the eve of Ed's "speech of a life time".

As previously stated, I am very happy to still be in the 40's.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    As predicted Gove shits all over the inept tory spinners by strongly hinting the tories are indeed trying to dream up their own policy on cost of living/fuel prices.
  • Options

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 5s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Most Brits not worried by blackouts. 58% don't think energy price freeze would mean power cuts, 27% think it would.

So PB posters are completely unrepresentative of the British public as a whole? Who'd have expected or predicted that ?

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Yesterday an energy price freeze was the end of the world as we know it, today the energy companies are falling over themselves to freeze prices voluntary - Ed's done more for us in the last couple of days than the Coalition has done in 3 years and he's not even in government yet!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    When I get round to writing my book on the doctrine of the British Left, I intend to call it Banned, Compulsory or Free because those are the three offers that Labour loves to make. Now that Ed Miliband has done what we all implored him to do, and clarified who he is, it is time to identify the comfortable zone from which Labour will fight the election.

I was always wary of asking for clarity from Mr Miliband. I had more than a suspicion that I would then pine for the days of indecision. Oh how I recall those glorious foggy days, when nobody knew his Mr Miliband’s thoughts. He was so much better then. But credit where it is due. He was asked to define his leadership and define it he has. The reckless lunatic.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/philipcollins/article3880123.ece
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

When I get round to writing my book on the doctrine of the British Left, I intend to call it Banned, Compulsory or Free because those are the three offers that Labour loves to make. Now that Ed Miliband has done what we all implored him to do, and clarified who he is, it is time to identify the comfortable zone from which Labour will fight the election.

I was always wary of asking for clarity from Mr Miliband. I had more than a suspicion that I would then pine for the days of indecision. Oh how I recall those glorious foggy days, when nobody knew his Mr Miliband’s thoughts. He was so much better then. But credit where it is due. He was asked to define his leadership and define it he has. The reckless lunatic.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/philipcollins/article3880123.ece

Please make sure it has a limited print run ! We don't want to waste paper.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

AveryLP said:

You don't look a day over forty, Red Rag.

Really.

• Options
    I don't think advertising does try to sell clean clothes, they try to develop brand loyalty by trying to create a brand that the customer wants to self associate with.

So the mother buys the soap powder that shows that she cares for her kids, by washing the grass stains out of their sports kit. They are selling therapy rather than soap.

Politically this translates to a party wanting to associate itself with the self image of the target voter. We are the party that cares about the issues that matter to you, that wants you to have the best chance in life, the chance that you deserve, the chance that the other party wants to deprive you of.

Politics (and much of medical consultation skills) are very much about understanding what the voter (patient) wants out of the transaction, and persuading them that what is on offer is just what they need.
    antifrank said:

No one ever sells soap powder. They sell a means to clean, fresh-smelling clothes.

If the presentation of a conference speech is approached with that in mind, it doesn't need to rely on stunts. Just good content and memorable lines that sell the product that you're trying to sell.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

As predicted Gove shits all over the inept tory spinners by strongly hinting the tories are indeed trying to dream up their own policy on cost of living/fuel prices.

They've been trailing a 'compulsory-best-rate' deal, and single-format-for-comparison-shopping for yonks.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Why? If those shares were repeated at a general election, Labour would have a substantial majority.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Avery, in the 40's , you need oxygen !
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Evening, Comrade Mick!
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    @AveryLP

That 10point lead was the strange one, as was the sudden move from 4/5 points to 0 and 1. if you take 4-5 as the baseline, and ignore the 10, it makes sense. They've lost half the bounce, if the poll is accurate. But we'll only have a rough idea by next week and I see the Mail is already prebriefing on announcements.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

RedRag1 said:

AveryLP said:

You don't look a day over forty, Red Rag.

Really.

I bloody hope not as well....not at my age.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Freggles said:

From Monday, before Ed magically made this happen..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/10327960/Fixed-rate-energy-deals-to-disappear-within-days.html

"But he urged customers to consider longer-term deals where the price is set for several years. Scottish Power, for example, has a Fixed Price Energy January 2017 tariff. Fixed till that date, it equates to a typical annual cost of £1,350 ."
    Exactly ! So, it is a good idea. So, what are the dirty, filthy energy companies complaining about ? Ed hasn't even suggested their directors' bonuses should be frozen too, yet !
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited September 2013
    surbiton said:

As the power companies themselves are offering the same until 2017

Of course they are. Again this was predicted at the time as there are far worse things than a 20 month price freeze and that would be a root and branch reform of the energy market specifically with a view to making the mess more transparent and preventing any possible price fixing. They clearly want to forestall that.

Not that little Ed can boast about it very much since he was involved in setting up the broken system in the first place. However, the Energy companies will have put out feelers and be aware that Cammie and Osbrowne are almost certainly planning their own crackdown and policy wheeze on the subject.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    I must admit I found Phillip Collins rather charming when I met him.

Moreover he carried the many Labour supporters at the event with him (this is at Oxford, though).

I'd want him in my tent (metaphorically), personally.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Anyone who believes a Tory majority isn't possible in 2015, (because of the old boundaries requiring a lead of about 10% or whatever the reason may be), can get a 30% return from Betfair by betting on both a Labour majority and a hung Parliament.

I take it you don't bet since you've overlooked the small matter of Betfair's 5% commission which reduces the return from this combination bet to 27.16%.

Furthermore a better return of 34.13% is available by staking the "Hung Parliament" element of the bet (51.19%) with Ladbrokes at 2.62 net rather than with Betfair at 2.35 gross.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Why? If those shares were repeated at a general election, Labour would have a substantial majority.
    A leader of the opposition making a speech at conference with a 'crowd pleasing' headline policy should expect his party's lead over the government to increase not fall.

It is not the absolute figures which count but the relative movement from the benchmark poll immediately prior to his speech.

Even Clegg managed to boost the Lib Dem VI following his conference speech.

This discussion has been closed.