Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling figures that could lay to rest any idea of a CO

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited September 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling figures that could lay to rest any idea of a CON-UKIP electoral alliance

On the face of it this seems odd. For in the comparison standard poll CON and UKIP together had combined support of 44%. Yet just 35% told the pollsters that they would vote for a CON-UKIP alliance. What happened to the other 9%?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Progressives 56%
    Con plus UKIP 35 %

....as Sunil might put it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Which is precisely why Cameron has ruled out such a pact today.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24308499

As Farage has also ruled out such a pact and the two can't stand each other I think we can safely rule it out!
  • Options
    The only way I could see a Tory-UKIP pact working would be for the Tories to stand aside in Lib Dem seats and UKIP not to field candidates in the rest.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited September 2013
    Is the old-dear Aunty Hortence from Warwickshire? Or is she someone lost in the Sothern-Netherlands...?

If only I had a cup of cocoa for the poor thing. Sadly I cannot find an t'Web service for the poor girl....
  • Options

Is the old-dear Aunty Hortence from Warwickshire? Or is she someone lost in the Sothern-Netherlands...?

If only I had a cup of cocoa for the poor thing. Sadly I cannot find an t'Web service for the poor girl....

Do you have anything to offer other than personal abuse ? Something about politics perhaps ?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Which is precisely why Cameron has ruled out such a pact today.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24308499

As Farage has also ruled out such a pact and the two can't stand each other I think we can safely rule it out!

Ah, but it was a question of going with this polling evidence, or the below.

@DPJHodges: 40% of Ukip voters say they would consider voting Tory to stop Ed M. 57% if economy improves.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    No worries. There won't be a UKIP pact with any party. The UKIP members are against it and so are the party leaders.

The simple reason for the discrepancy in the YouGov figures are the fact some tories and many kippers would show thier disgust at such a pact by not voting.

Once and for all for all PBers: UKIP are not in the pact or alliance business; at least not before the GE in 2015.
  • Options
    More likely under FPTP is that the Tories and UKIP eventually agree to merge under a more rightwing leader once Cameron has gone. That is what happened in Canada when the Progressive Tories and Reform (the Canadian UKIP) eventually merged under the leadership of Stephen Harper. Of course were we to get AV or PR UKIP would likely be a permanent fixture of the scene
  • Options

Is the old-dear Aunty Hortence from Warwickshire? Or is she someone lost in the So[u]thern-Netherlands...?

[Fluffy Thoughts] Do you have anything to offer other than personal abuse ? Something about politics perhaps ?

Maybe it was a comment about current "care-facilities" for the 'less-fortunate'; or maybe it was a subtle defence-play on those you chose to attack willy-nilly? {Aunty: I do agree that 'Attacking your opponent' is a useful defencive-move for beginners. Or later....]

Or it could be a photo-centric reaction to a dark lime-green background on my "blue-filtered" contacts? Or maybe coz; ahem - what is that term - who cares; whatever....
  • Options
    I think both parties should consider a pact unless they want to split the right in this country in a similar manner to the old SDP did to the Labour party in the '80s.In terms of the electoral system I'm up for STV in local government elections.There are major parts of the country where votes are siloed,leading to huge local fiefdoms of all the 3 parties.
    The Tory conference might give some clues but I guess they will be too busy banging on about Europe.
  • Options
    HortenceWitheringHortenceWithering Posts: 145
    edited September 2013

Is the old-dear Aunty Hortence from Warwickshire? Or is she someone lost in the So[u]thern-Netherlands...?

[Fluffy Thoughts] Do you have anything to offer other than personal abuse ? Something about politics perhaps ?

A QTWTAIN apparently.

• Options

Maybe it was a comment about current "care-facilities" for the 'less-fortunate'; or maybe it was a subtle defence-play on those you chose to attack willy-nilly? {Aunty: I do agree that 'Attacking your opponent' is a useful defencive-move for beginners. Or later....]

Or it could be a photo-centric reaction to a dark lime-green background on my "blue-filtered" contacts? Or maybe coz; ahem - what is that term - who cares; whatever....

I've only made 18 posts so I'm not sure who I've been attacking either willy or nilly. I'm not sure what I've said or done to earn such bile from somebody I don't even know but perhaps that is the norm here, who knows. As for do you have anything to offer other than personal abuse, that would appear to be a question to which the answer is no.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    volcanopete Polls showed most SDP voters preferred Thatcher to Foot and Kinnock, they did not split the left in the way UKIP is splitting the right, the SDP was more of a centre party and David Owen preferred the Tories to Kinnock's Labour. A better comparison was Charles Kennedy's LDs or the Greens or Galloway, most of whose voters were clearly on the left
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited September 2013

I've only made 18 posts so I'm not sure who I've been attacking either willy or nilly. I'm not sure what I've said or done to earn such bile from somebody I don't even know but perhaps that is the norm here, who knows. As for do you have anything to offer other than personal abuse, that would appear to be a question to which the answer is no.

Aunty,

Your record is as scratched as a Soho's sewer-rat's itch. Your "posting record" is a known comedy.

You blame, sweet innocent me (seriously), of behaviour yet you miss the parody of the response. As for politics; Hah! Do you agree with me (as posited t'other thread) that the tax system should be simple, fair and minimalist.

My approach is ecletic and often irratating: I do not welcome "new" posters nor do I comment upon their misfortune (unless their economics are as bad as Marque Senile's or their diction as 'consumed' as seanT's. This is not my hosted-site and I am a mere-mortal guest at this feast.

What I never do is a simple thing and something you may learn from: I never discuss moderation; never highlight people who should be excluded; and never call another poster "racist". Others have targeted me for such attacks: Me, I trust the in-house team (and have been punished for miscreations) yet I still try to abend the rules whenever possible, but never break them....

Hugs!

:would-you-like-your-cocoa-now:

• Options

Aunty,

Your record is as scratched as a Soho's sewer-rat's itch. Your "posting record" is a known comedy.

You blame, sweet innocent me (seriously), of behaviour yet you miss the parody of the response. As for politics; Hah! Do you agree with me (as posited t'other thread) that the tax system should be simple, fair and minimalist.

My approach is ecletic and often irratating: I do not welcome "new" posters nor do I comment upon their misfortune (unless their economics are as bad as Marque Senile's or their diction as 'consumed' as seanT's. This is not my hosted-site and I am a mere-mortal guest at this feast.

What I never do is a simple thing and something you may learn from: I never discuss moderation; never highlight people who should be excluded; and never call another poster "racist". Others have targeted me for such attacks: Me, I trust the in-house team (and have been punished for miscreations) yet I still try to abend the rules whenever possible, but never break them....

Hugs!

:would-you-like-your-cocoa-now:

Shush, enough sillyness now thanks. You protest too much.
  • Options
    FPT Nick Palmer:

"Ed shares the sense of detachment from the traditional default assumptions which David identifies: his defining characteristic is a readiness to take on established interests, whether Murdoch or unions or energy companies."

You mean that EdM is willing to take on established interests which are both unpopular and which oppose him.

Are we meant to be impressed?

Now if EdM wants some respect ley him take on established interests from which he benefits but the people of Britain don't.

Let EdM take on the PPE establishment in politics or the left-liberal metropolitanism which dominates the public sector and BBC.

• Options
    HortenceWitheringHortenceWithering Posts: 145
    edited September 2013
    Cliche red alert !!!! "Left liberal metropolitanism". Cliche red alert !!!!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I strongly suspect he lives in Bedford.

• Options
    I mentioned last week about the 'executive class' which controls increasing amounts of our lives and which forms an increasing self-perpetuating and self-rewarding oligarchy.

A class to which membership comes from being in the right family or having the right education - an Oxford PPE or a Harvard MBA for instance.

Now if EdM really wanted to take on established interests and to do something radical to help the ordinary person then he should try this suggestion:

All plc executives need to have their contracts approved, not only by other executive oligarchs on a remuneration committee, but by randomly selected small shareholders and randomly selected workers.

Likewise all executives on public bodies need to have their contracts approved by randomly selected taxpayers and randomly selected workers.

But EdM would never support such ideas for he is just another member of the executive oligarchy and sees nothing wrong with their increasing dominance and self-enrichment.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

I strongly suspect he lives in Bedford.

Aunty has now become my only "favourite". The vellum tone can only match the sublime humour....
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Mostly the mods post here as PBModerator, and mostly the non-mods don't appoint themselves as vigilante netcops.

Withering by name, peevishly ineffectual by nature. And could you point us towards any posts you have contributed about politics, or betting?

• Options

Have you ever issued a cliche alert when the phrase 'Tory Press' is seen?

Now why don't you grow up and try discussing issues intelligently instead of writing party slogans.
  • Options

Now why don't you grow up and try discussing issues intelligently instead of writing party slogans.

And of course lines like "left liberal metropoliatnism" are not sloganeering at all are they ?
  • Options

A classic example of left-liberal metropolitanism was 5Live's reporting of the marriage tax allowance story.

A deranged woman complaining about Tories not understanding and being judgemental.

Now whether you agree with the proposal or not both sides of the argument should have been given or none.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    What has happened to this website?

I couldn't get into the comments for a while.

Is the whole background now meant to be bright green? It's much less user friendly than it was before.
  • Options

And of course lines like "left liberal metropoliatnism" are not sloganeering at all are they ?

I bet you £50 that that is not "politics" but bad-spelling.* You owe OGH if you agree....

* As fitting in the ethos of this site.
  • Options

I put my views, which don't match with any particular party, and am willing to debate them and other issues.

Through this I have learnt many things from PB.

What I don't do is mouth of party slogans like a cheerleader or try to close down debate like a facist.

If you don't think there such a thing as a left-liberal establishement in much of the public sector or BBC then say so and explain your views.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

I bet you £50 that that is not "politics" but bad-spelling.* You owe OGH if you agree....

I assumed Hortence was OGH playing silly buggers - he's got a few alternative personas on here IIRC
  • Options
    Plato said:

I assumed Hortence was OGH playing silly buggers - he's got a few alternative personas on here IIRC

How dare you ! I have a full head of hair !

• Options

How dare you ! I have a full head of hair !

Aunty can only be...,

:look-at-the-poor-punctuation...:
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Formatting of the site has gone a bit haywire.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

FPT Nick Palmer:

"Ed shares the sense of detachment from the traditional default assumptions which David identifies: his defining characteristic is a readiness to take on established interests, whether Murdoch or unions or energy companies."

You mean that EdM is willing to take on established interests which are both unpopular and which oppose him.

Now if EdM wants some respect ley him take on established interests from which he benefits but the people of Britain don't.

Let EdM take on the PPE establishment in politics or the left-liberal metropolitanism which dominates the public sector and BBC.

Murdoch probably qualifies - he might not be popular personally, but he controls a large part of the media that people choose to read. Lots of people here and elsewhere have described the decision to take him on as "brave" in the Yes Minister sense. So it is, but it's also brave per se.

FPT Josias - yes, sorry, didn't mean the part of my reply relating to other posts to appear to be directed at you. I was just too lazy to write two separate posts and should have made it clear.
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    Quite interesting polling which suggest perhaps up to 25% of the Tory vote is "left" leaning in the sense that while they want the Tories to win the prospect of doing a deal with the anti EU, anti immigrant and anti same sex marriage "kippers" is enough to persuade them to vote for Lib Dem/Labour or not vote at all. Cameron really does have a problem squaring the circle, move right and alienate these people or move left and harden the kipper vote Result - chances of outright Tory victory at next GE fading rapidly.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    Formatting fixed. Somebody (not me...) was playing around with the templates and managed to delete all the css files.

Somebody...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Formatting fixed. Somebody (not me...) was playing around with the templates and managed to delete all the css files.

Somebody...

Thanks Robert.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Somebody...

Hortence?
  • Options
    @another richard said "All plc executives need to have their contracts approved, not only by other executive oligarchs on a remuneration committee, but by randomly selected small shareholders and randomly selected workers."

What an absolutely ridiculous idea. If the worker doesn't like how the boss is being paid, he doesn't have to work there. If a shareholder doesn't like how the boss is being paid he can vote against it, or sell his shares.

Maybe we should have random moderation on the site. Someone random gets to moderate every post - so if you write something, and tim doesn't like it and is lucky enough to be the moderator... well, you're out of luck
  • Options
    Hortence, Fluffy:

If you guys keep moderating each other, I shall get very cross and edit the css so your posts get displayed in 4 point comic sans serif.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

4 point comic sans serif.

Ah, the Font of Champions! Nothing says "classy" like comic sans.

• Options
    Thanks, Mr. 1000.
  • Options

Progressives 56%
    Con plus UKIP 35 %

....as Sunil might put it.

Good afternoon, Comrade Hortence!

Comrades! This proves that our glorious 2015 revolution is well on course!
  • Options

FPT Nick Palmer:

Murdoch probably qualifies - he might not be popular personally, but he controls a large part of the media that people choose to read. Lots of people here and elsewhere have described the decision to take him on as "brave" in the Yes Minister sense. So it is, but it's also brave per se.

I would disagree Nick.

The chances of the Murdoch media being pro-Labour were nil.

So the risk that EdM takes is that they would be slightly more anti-Labour or pro-Conservative than they would otherwise.

Whereas EdM gains the definite boost of appealing to anti-Murdoch, anti-capitalism types generally and giving some 'red meat' to Labour members specifically.

As we know, as shown by the recent thread, the newspaper groups are increasingly less important in influencing public opinion.

The Sun still has a wide working class circulation but that's not a group that EdM or the political establishment have been overly bothered about for years. While the Times has lost much of its influence because of the paywall.

Choosing your enemies wisely is necessary for success and with energy companies, union bosses and Murdoch EdM has chosen unpopular enemies.

I don't disagree with EdM's choice if he wants to win in 2015 but I don't think he's chosen bravely.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Afternoon all :)

Thanks again for sorting out the site, Robert. As always, much appreciated.

On topic, I remember a poll from a few months back showing that 38% of UKIP voters preferred a Conservative majority Government so the 40% number quoted below makes sense.

A UKIP vote share of 10% means 4% potential for the Conservatives so Cameron is presumably hoping to get to at least 36% on his own with the UKIP floating voters propelling him to an overall majority.

There is a logic to the view that the Conservatives, if in Opposition after 2015, will seek, as a priority, to absorb/merge with/crush (delete as appropriate) UKIP but that won't (if the numbers are as stated) achieve much. The key to the post-2015 environment if Labour wins a majority is which of the Conservative, Lib Dem or UKIP will start garnering the anti-Government vote.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hortence, Fluffy:

If you guys keep moderating each other, I shall get very cross and edit the css so your posts get displayed in 4 point comic sans serif.

Shocked; a victim treated in such a manner! Maybe I should offer a peace-offer...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Fd7WYHe6E
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Maybe we should have random moderation on the site. Someone random gets to moderate every post

I thought that was the system.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Quite simply, a pact would taint UKIP as no longer being above and outside the 'old parties who are all the same' and taint the Tories as being the nasty party once more. It wouldn't benefit either side.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What an absolutely ridiculous idea. If the worker doesn't like how the boss is being paid, he doesn't have to work there. If a shareholder doesn't like how the boss is being paid he can vote against it, or sell his shares.

Most shares are held through people's pensions and other investments.

How often do the financial companies that control these shareholders votes ever vote against the reappoitment of directors or against the directors remuneration packages or against the reappointment of auditors.

In fact has a plc EVER had a director's appointment or remuneration report or auditor appointment voted down at an AGM?

As to the workers how often have we seen companies destroyed by incompetant but greedy executives who then walk away with millions while the workers lose their jobs.

I'm all for free market capitalism and shareholder democracy, but we don't have that at the moment. Instead we have had capitalism perverted into the business branch of executive oligarchy.

• Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Thanks again for sorting out the site, Robert. As always, much appreciated.

On topic, I remember a poll from a few months back showing that 38% of UKIP voters preferred a Conservative majority Government so the 40% number quoted below makes sense.

A UKIP vote share of 10% means 4% potential for the Conservatives so Cameron is presumably hoping to get to at least 36% on his own with the UKIP floating voters propelling him to an overall majority.

There is a logic to the view that the Conservatives, if in Opposition after 2015, will seek, as a priority, to absorb/merge with/crush (delete as appropriate) UKIP but that won't (if the numbers are as stated) achieve much. The key to the post-2015 environment if Labour wins a majority is which of the Conservative, Lib Dem or UKIP will start garnering the anti-Government vote.

If the Conservatives (or Labour/LDs) wanted to limit their losses to UKIP they could, after the 2014 local election results, deselect MPs/candidates in seats with strong UKIP support, and re-select a candidate by open primary/caucus.
  • Options
    RobC said:

Quite interesting polling which suggest perhaps up to 25% of the Tory vote is "left" leaning in the sense that while they want the Tories to win the prospect of doing a deal with the anti EU, anti immigrant and anti same sex marriage "kippers" is enough to persuade them to vote for Lib Dem/Labour or not vote at all. Cameron really does have a problem squaring the circle, move right and alienate these people or move left and harden the kipper vote Result - chances of outright Tory victory at next GE fading rapidly.

Yeah, but it's also not simple to categorize people. I have a vehemently anti-European gay friend. He was very pro-UKIP until the gay marriage thing, but now says he could never vote for them. He is now a 'BOO' Conservative voter.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    A lot of the stronger UKIP presence is in safe Tory seats where even if they poll 15% the Tory will get in. A safe protest for swivel eyed loons.

There are a smaller number of marginals where a substantial kipper vote would put the Labour candidate in parliament. The dynamics of these seats would be different, and a UKIP/Con alliance here may push a lot of centrist votes to Labour. Better here to publish "only the torys can beat Miliband here" dodgy barcharts.

I cannot see an advantage in an alliance benefitting either party.

RobC said:

• Options
    "A report commissioned by the tobacco industry last year by accountancy firm Grant Thornton estimated that smugglers were supplying 28 per cent of the cigarettes smoked in Ireland, constituting a loss to Revenue put at €586m per annum."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/al-qaeda-rocket-blows-lid-on-ira-cigarette-cargo-29596545.html
  • Options

FPT Nick Palmer:

FPT Josias - yes, sorry, didn't mean the part of my reply relating to other posts to appear to be directed at you. I was just too lazy to write two separate posts and should have made it clear.
    No bother Nick. I was just a bit surprised when I read it after coming back from town, and wondered what I'd written ...

A problem with what Miliband and Labour did with Murdoch is that, as we knew at the time, it was far from being just NI. We obviously cannot discuss the whys and wherefores here, but I'd have had a lot more time for the attacks if they'd attacked *everyone* who'd done it.

NI were first in the frame due to the convictions, but were not the whole story.

It gives the impression that Labour'll ignore such injustices if you're on their side (as they did when NI supported them), and complain when they're not. That may be politics, but it stinks.

(Hopefully this post is mod-friendly enough, but it's dangerous ground).
  • Options
    My father claims that he would vote UKIP, though he would vote to stay in the EU! I think he likes the kippers social conservatism, as well as wanting to give the big parties a kicking.

He sounds the mirror image of your friend. Nowt queerer than folk!
    rcs1000 said:

RobC said:

Yeah, but it's also not simple to categorize people. I have a vehemently anti-European gay friend. He was very pro-UKIP until the gay marriage thing, but now says he could never vote for them. He is now a 'BOO' Conservative voter.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited September 2013
    On topic: I'm not sure how useful this kind of hypothetical polling is. I suspect not very useful at all.

UKIP supporters (in marginal seats) have a very simple decision to make: either vote Tory and get a referendum if the Conservatives get a majority, or vote UKIP and help ensure there is a left-wing Miliband government, more state intervention, higher taxes, more political correctness, and no referendum.

A Con/UKIP pact doesn't actually make any difference to this basic calculation, although interestingly a senior politician who is quite close to Farage has told me he thinks Farage will want to find a way to help the Tories win the GE (but not until after the 2014 Euro elections, of course). Of course that would be entirely rational if Farage did actually want to help get the UK out of the EU, but I must say it seemed very implausible to me (Farage seems to be enjoying the ego-trip too much for that). On the other hand I've never met Farage, whereas the person I was talking to knows him very well; I pass the snippet on as I was told it.
  • Options

On topic: I'm not sure how useful this kind of hypothetical polling is. I suspect not very useful at all.

UKIP supporters have a very simple decision to make: either vote Tory and get a referendum if the Conservatives get a majority, or vote UKIP and help ensure there is a left-wing Miliband government, more state intervention, higher taxes, more political correctness, and no referendum.

A Con/UKIP pact doesn't actually make any difference to this basic calculation, although interestingly a senior politician who is quite close to Farage has told me he thinks Farage will want to find a way to help the Tories win the GE (but not until after the 2014 Euro elections, of course). Of course that would be entirely rational if Farage did actually want to help get the UK out of the EU, but I must say it seemed very implausible to me (Farage seems to be enjoying the ego-trip too much for that). On the other hand I've never met Farage, whereas they person I was talking to knows him very well; I pass the snippet on as I was told it.

The majority of Conservative MPs voted against an EU referendum in 2011. There is no reason to think those MPs would vote in favour of one if they were re-elected in 2015.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8847123/EU-referendum-how-the-MPs-voted.html
  • Options
    Hoorar for the blues in Manchester..... in all senses of the words.

Good news for the London clubs and Southerners...
  • Options
    This time it would be a party manifesto commitment, unlike in 2011 when it was a backbench rebellion.

UKIP supporters have a very simple decision to make: either vote Tory and get a referendum if the Conservatives get a majority, or vote UKIP and help ensure there is a left-wing Miliband government, more state intervention, higher taxes, more political correctness, and no referendum.

A Con/UKIP pact doesn't actually make any difference to this basic calculation, although interestingly a senior politician who is quite close to Farage has told me he thinks Farage will want to find a way to help the Tories win the GE (but not until after the 2014 Euro elections, of course). Of course that would be entirely rational if Farage did actually want to help get the UK out of the EU, but I must say it seemed very implausible to me (Farage seems to be enjoying the ego-trip too much for that). On the other hand I've never met Farage, whereas they person I was talking to knows him very well; I pass the snippet on as I was told it.

The majority of Conservative MPs voted against an EU referendum in 2011. There is no reason to think those MPs would vote in favour of one if they were re-elected in 2015.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8847123/EU-referendum-how-the-MPs-voted.html
  • Options
    Reds beaten at home in Manchester?

• Options
    edited September 2013

If you think Conservative MPs are going to vote against a referendum, or that Conservative Party members would accept such a thing, then frankly you are utterly out with the fairies. Everyone, but everyone, in the Conservative Party, including those who are loosely pro-EU, is 100% adamant on that point.
  • Options

UKIP supporters (in marginal seats) have a very simple decision to make: either vote Tory and get a referendum if the Conservatives get a majority, or vote UKIP and help ensure there is a left-wing Miliband government, more state intervention, higher taxes, more political correctness, and no referendum.

You're likely to get the same things with a Cameron government so what's to fear from an EdM government?

As to an EU referendum we all know that there's no way Cameron would ever take the UK out of the EU whatever a referendum said. Instead we'd be drowned in the weasel words of 'negotiation' and 'clarification' and a requirement of a second referendum for 'clarification'. The history of referenda regarding the EU is there for everyone to see.

• Options

If you think Conservative MPs are going to vote against a referendum, or that Conservative Party members would accept such a thing, then frankly you are utterly out with the fairies. Everyone, but everyone, in the Conservative Party, including those who are loosely pro-EU, is 100% adamant on that point.
    The majority of Conservative MPs _did_ vote against a referendum in 2011. I've not heard of any of them being deselected by their local conservative associations since.

• Options

Its good news for the London clubs but I'd be interested to see the number of fans the top clubs have in southern England.

I've met as many Manchester United supporting southerners as those that support London clubs, mostly Spurs fans with a few Arsenal and West Ham supporters. The only Chelsea fan I know is a Yorkshireman.
  • Options
    FYI...Italian government is collapsing right now
  • Options
    edited September 2013

You're likely to get the same things with a Cameron government so what's to fear from an EdM government?

How short memories are. Plenty, plenty, plenty.

As to an EU referendum we all know that there's no way Cameron would ever take the UK out of the EU whatever a referendum said. Instead we'd be drowned in the weasel words of 'negotiation' and 'clarification' and a requirement of a second referendum for 'clarification'. The history of referenda regarding the EU is there for everyone to see.
    Cameron may well not get much in the way of concessions - that remains to be seen, and no-one pretends it is easy - and he may well recommend staying in, even if the concessions aren't great; it would be a difficult judgement for him and for people like me in that case.

But so what, from the point of view of those who unconditionally want to leave? The referendum will still take place - there is not a snowflake's chance in hell, if there is a Tory majority, not a scintilla of a glimmer of possibility, that the referendum would not happen. And if, as the kippers tell us, there is a massive popular majority for leaving, then we'll leave, whatever Cameron says. Unless you think he's some kind of political magician who can force people to vote to stay in when they don't want to, we'd be out, if there is indeed a majority for leaving.

Of course, it might be that they are just frit, and think they'll lose. They might well be right, if so, but it would be nice if they didn't set about wrecking all the hard-won progress that has been made, by letting Miliband become PM.
  • Options

FYI...Italian government is collapsing right now

What's happening?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited September 2013

Cameron may well not get much in the way of concessions - that remains to be seen, and no-one pretends it is easy - and he may well recommend staying in, even if the concessions aren't great; it would be a difficult judgement for him and for people like me in that case.

But so what, from the point of view of those who unconditionally want to leave? The referendum will still take place - there is not a snowflake's chance in hell, if there is a Tory majority, not a scintilla of a glimmer of possibility, that the referendum would not happen. And if, as the kippers tell us, there is a massive popular majority for leaving, then we'll leave, whatever Cameron says. Unless you think he's some kind of political magician who can force people to vote to stay in when they don't want to, we'd be out, if there is indeed a majority for leaving.

Of course, it might be that they are just frit, and think they'll lose. They might well be right, if so, but it would be nice if they didn't set about wrecking the country by letting Miliband become PM.Cameron isn't seeking any concessions. The government's position is that there is no need for repatriation of powers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2374418/William-Hagues-review-branded-Whitehall-whitewash.html

During this parliament the Conservatives have passed _more_ powers to the EU. (8m44s into the video linked to below)

http://youtu.be/c3JnIw50zL8?t=8m43s
  • Options

A Con/UKIP pact doesn't actually make any difference to this basic calculation, although interestingly a senior politician who is quite close to Farage has told me he thinks Farage will want to find a way to help the Tories win the GE (but not until after the 2014 Euro elections, of course). Of course that would be entirely rational if Farage did actually want to help get the UK out of the EU, but I must say it seemed very implausible to me (Farage seems to be enjoying the ego-trip too much for that). On the other hand I've never met Farage, whereas the person I was talking to knows him very well; I pass the snippet on as I was told it.

This is a line you've peddled before, and will doubtless do so again.

If (like me) you only joined UKIP because you want Britain to quit the EU, then being offered a referendum is not a holy grail. It might, or might not, be a step to leaving the EU.

The referendum could be lost. There would be extensive scaremongering of the (non-existent) incipient dangers of leaving. This would be lead and abetted by the BBC. Then we would have Cameron, as PM and from a completely different angle, advising the disinterested voter to vote to stay in.

Best for BOO is a strong vote for UKIP at every opportunity, gaining some UKIP MPs. Also best would be a weak Miliband promising a referendum, in a late attempt to undermine the Tories. The Labour party could announce that, at a time of their choosing, if the tories seemed to be putting too many eggs in the 'You'll only get a referendum if you vote tory' basket. A weak Miliband govt, a united Tory party in favour of leaving---then there would be a very good chance of achieving Out.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all, which polls, if any, are we expecting this evening for tomorrow's papers? Presumably there will be a YouGov at least.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

The majority of Conservative MPs _did_ vote against a referendum in 2011. I've not heard of any of them being deselected by their local conservative associations since.

The are basically two views in the party. The (I would guess majority) view is that we should leave the EU. A substantial body, including Cameron and including me, think we should first try to negotiate reform. The compromise reached, which the entire party, without exception (other perhaps than Ken Clark) is happy with, is that we'll have the referendum in the next parliament (assuming a majority of course). There is, as I said, not a snowflake's chance in hell of that being reneged on. There would be mayhem if any leader tried, absolute mayhem. What's more, even Cameroons like me would join in the mayhem - it's a solemn commitment, and it would be unthinkable to renege on it.
  • Options

Cameron isn't seeking any concessions. The government's position is that there is no need for repatriation of powers.

Garbage, but so what? That helps you - it makes a vote to leave more likely, not less. You should be delighted.
  • Options
    @Richard

The background is always that the Senate electoral committee should meet to disqualify him (or not). If PD votes for disqualification along with SEL and Grillo, there will be a majority of expelling him.

Letta's government is weak as a consequence. Letta asked for a review of the government and so stopping any legislative activities in the mean time.
    Problem is the VAT increase was set (by Monti's government) in early October. So if there's a review, they can't act to stop it.
    And so today, Silvio being cunnier than the left (as always) asked his ministers to resign because they don't want to be in a government which can increase VAT.
    If the government falls, there will be a VAT increase anyway

So we poor people will be stuffed no matter what!
  • Options

The referendum could be lost. There would be extensive scaremongering of the (non-existent) incipient dangers of leaving. This would be lead and abetted by the BBC. Then we would have Cameron, as PM and from a completely different angle, advising the disinterested voter to vote to stay in.

I agree, except I don't think Cameron really comes into that calculation; much though I admire him, I don't think his position would sway anyone much. I've always said that I don't think a referendum is winnable by the Out side. That's why I want repatriation of powers - the absolute worst thing we could so is have a referendum before negotiation, thus cementing the status quo.

Still, at least you (unlike most UKIPpers) are honest about not wanting a referendum.
  • Options
    Thanks, Andrea. Italian politics is such fun (at least from the outside!)
  • Options
    Ministers from ex-PM Silvio Berlusconi's party are resigning from Italy's shaky coalition government -spokesman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24319274
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Interesting looking Premier League table as of now........
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Can we expect new elections in Italy?
  • Options

My memory isn't so short that its forgotten Cameron and Osborne buying into Brown's 'economic miracle'. Nor is it so short that its forgotten Cameron allowing power stations to shut without replacements or Osborne poncing about the White House instead of preparing his Budget properly.

Whether its Cameron or EdM, its merely one side or the other of privileged metropolitanism.

And I would prefer that it was Labour's image which was ruined by the problems that this country will suffer after 2015.

The Conservatives might just move then to becoming a more radical party looking to help the average person instead of one which governs by, of and for the PPE.

And as David Kendrick says the best time for an EU referendum would be under a weak EdM government with the Conservatives united in favour of leaving.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Coral: Man United now 13/8 to finish outside the top 4!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @another_richard - Ah yes, 'one more push' and, in a mirror-image of the delusion of the far-left in the eighties, the whole edifice will come crashing down and the true UKIP-style majority will assert itself.

It's utter nonsense, A1, no-holds-barred nonsense.

Unhappily, there's quite a high chance that I'll be shown to be right on this, and on the extent of the Miliband disaster (I now think he'll be far worse even than Brown) relatively quickly.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    RobC said:

In practice, I doubt if it would be as much as 25%. But, yes, there are Conservatives who loathe everything UKIP stands for, and would far prefer a left-wing government.

• Options

Tessa Mill's may have a few quid:

Didn't some Italian deposit an "unknown but considerable amount" in her bank-balance a few years ago? She may also know a[n] UK "organisation" to help you negate taxes (allegedly): Can't help to ask.....
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Sounds like the Italian government may be in the process of collapsing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24319274
  • Options

Tessa Mill's may have a few quid:

Didn't some Italian deposit an "unknown but considerable amount" in her bank-balance a few years ago? She may also know a[n] UK "organisation" to help you negate taxes (allegedly): Can't help to ask.....
    No Italian voted for Letta as PM just as no Italian voted for Monti. Not my idea of a democracy.

• Options
    @SeanT - You alternative scenario is quite likely, especially if (as would be quite likely in the event of a Miliband win) the Conservatives descend into chaotic in-fighting and UKIP continue to make inroads.
  • Options
    Hopefully Italians can finally rid themselves of Berlusconi once and for all at the next election.
  • Options
    david_kendrick1david_kendrick1 Posts: 325
    edited September 2013

I agree, except I don't think Cameron really comes into that calculation; much though I admire him, I don't think his position would sway anyone much. I've always said that I don't think a referendum is winnable by the Out side. That's why I want repatriation of powers - the absolute worst thing we could so is have a referendum before negotiation, thus cementing the status quo.

Still, at least you (unlike most UKIPpers) are honest about not wanting a referendum.
    That was not quite my point. We didn't have a referendum when Heath signed to go in: I can't see that we need one to leave. But if we do, we do.

I'm not against a referendum---I'm simply very nervous about the result of one. For sure, it will be very close.

• Options
    @david_kendrick1 - I really can't see any scenario whereby we'd leave without a referendum.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Consider an horrific alternative. The Tories bequeath a recovering economy in 2015. Nothing special, but getting there. Deficit down, growth reasonable.

Nonetheless Miliband wins in 2015 thanks to the electoral maths. He turns out to be as socialist as he says, he borrows and spends, cowers before Brussels, moves against the rightwing press, allows yet more immigration. Of course the economy falters but such is the size of the client state he builds, and given his moves to repress dissent - added to the migrant vote - he wins again in 2020.

And our decline accelerates. All this is perfectly feasible. Even though, after another 10 years of Labour, we would be finished as a country, the way the last 13 years NEARLY finished us.

Rightwingers like me, and you, who pour scorn on Cameron need to take a good long look at what they wish for. Kippers need to do the same.

Miliband has perhaps done us a favour by revealing what he really thinks.

Sean, as has been suggested several times before we seem to be replaying the 1970s.

Wanting another Cameron government is like wanting Heath to have won in 1974.

Yes its possible to think up a nightmare Miliband timeline but I don't see any longterm hope under a Cameron government - immigration will remain uncontrolled, social and economic mobility will continue to fall, debt will continue to increase by £100bn per year, the EU and multinational business will continue to be pandered to ete etc.

At least there's a chance that an EdM government will so discredit both Labour and statist-leftism that there might be reform as there was in response to the 1970s.
  • Options

@another_richard - Ah yes, 'one more push' and, in a mirror-image of the delusion of the far-left in the eighties, the whole edifice will come crashing down and the true UKIP-style majority will assert itself.

It's utter nonsense, A1, no-holds-barred nonsense.

Unhappily, there's quite a high chance that I'll be shown to be right on this, and on the extent of the Miliband disaster (I now think he'll be far worse even than Brown) relatively quickly.

As opposed to your delusion that Osborne is a 'near perfect' Chancellor.

If you think, as I do, that Britain is on the wrong track then there's no reason to support David 'Heir to Blair' Cameron and George 'sharing the proceeds of growth' Osborne.

I do think that the Conservatives are the best hope for changing the course we're on but I don't see any evidence that Cameron and Osborne have ever thought that the course needed changing.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    So in other words, even voting UKIP on the sole issue of leaving the EU is a completely wasted vote these days? If you are waiting for the Conservatives or any other party to become united about leaving the EU, your going to be waiting a very long time. The SNP are quite united when it comes to the issue of Independence in Scotland, but they still need to hold and win a Referendum which asks everyone of voting age their opinion on the issue. And the polling a year out from this Referendum doesn't look good for them. UKIP want out of the EU, but they are now running scared of a referendum because they think they might lose it, so now its all about delaying tactics and blaming the Tories, again.

This is a line you've peddled before, and will doubtless do so again.

If (like me) you only joined UKIP because you want Britain to quit the EU, then being offered a referendum is not a holy grail. It might, or might not, be a step to leaving the EU.

Best for BOO is a strong vote for UKIP at every opportunity, gaining some UKIP MPs. Also best would be a weak Miliband promising a referendum, in a late attempt to undermine the Tories. The Labour party could announce that, at a time of their choosing, if the tories seemed to be putting too many eggs in the 'You'll only get a referendum if you vote tory' basket. A weak Miliband govt, a united Tory party in favour of leaving---then there would be a very good chance of achieving Out.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Now that we have irrefutable contemporary eyewitness accounts that Gordo was indeed "mad, bad, and dangerous to know" it's interesting to consider Ed in that light.

While it is true that he seems to be even more dangerous from a policy perspective, where are the forces of hell keeping his colleagues in check? All of the folk who sat on their hands in fear of the Brown machine, what is their excuse this time? Are they waiting for Ed to win an election despite himself, then hope to topple him before he actually unleashes economic Armageddon?
  • Options
    Mr. T, indeed.

Even if Miliband wins in 2015 and loses the next election 4-5 years of Red Ed as PM and Balls as Chancellor could seriously **** up the economy. We're still in a shaky situation even if we got another Con-Lib coalition next time. For all Cameron's and Clegg's flaws, rescuing us from the likes of Brown, Miliband and Balls was a great thing.
  • Options
    For Britain to leave the EU without a referendum, UKIP would have to win an outright majority in Parliament, which hardly seems likely. Anything short of that would require a referendum, and as the SNP are finding out, the voters are no where near as keen as the party activists.

To leave without a referendum is really quite implausible.

That was not quite my point. We didn't have a referendum when Heath signed to go in: I can't see that we need one to leave. But if we do, we do.

I'm not against a referendum---I'm simply very nervous about the result of one. For sure, it will be very close.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    You are bang on the money with that analysis of the need to negotiate the repatriation of powers before we hold a Referendum.

• Options

SeanT said:

Consider an horrific alternative. The Tories bequeath a recovering economy in 2015. Nothing special, but getting there. Deficit down, growth reasonable.

Nonetheless Miliband wins in 2015 thanks to the electoral maths. He turns out to be as socialist as he says, he borrows and spends, cowers before Brussels, moves against the rightwing press, allows yet more immigration. Of course the economy falters but such is the size of the client state he builds, and given his moves to repress dissent - added to the migrant vote - he wins again in 2020.

And our decline accelerates. All this is perfectly feasible. Even though, after another 10 years of Labour, we would be finished as a country, the way the last 13 years NEARLY finished us.

Rightwingers like me, and you, who pour scorn on Cameron need to take a good long look at what they wish for. Kippers need to do the same.

Sean, as has been suggested several times before we seem to be replaying the 1970s.

Yes its possible to think up a nightmare Miliband timeline but I don't see any longterm hope under a Cameron government - immigration will remain uncontrolled, social and economic mobility will continue to fall, debt will continue to increase by £100bn per year, the EU and multinational business will continue to be pandered to ete etc.

At least there's a chance that an EdM government will so discredit both Labour and statist-leftism that there might be reform as there was in response to the 1970s.
    The best scenario for the Tories would probably be a Lab/LD coalition with a tiny majority headed by Miliband and Cable/Farron which collapses after 18 months or so.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Lot of right-wing naval gazing on PB.

Never seen you lot so sad and introspective. Thought you'd have been banging on about Dave's own back-to-the-future marriage tax break.

Chin up.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

The best scenario for the Tories would probably be a Lab/LD coalition with a tiny majority headed by Miliband and Cable/Farron which collapses after 18 months or so.
    This idea remind me of Bennites waiting for the imminent arrival of Socialism following an early Thatcher defeat. Top tip: if you lose power, events might keep it from you for much longer than you expect.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, do you really think the state confiscating land is a good policy?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

For Britain to leave the EU without a referendum, UKIP would have to win an outright majority in Parliament, which hardly seems likely. Anything short of that would require a referendum, and as the SNP are finding out, the voters are no where near as keen as the party activists.

To leave without a referendum is really quite implausible.

How do you work out the SNP are finding it difficult. Assume you are basing this on London based polls
This discussion has been closed.