Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Opposition leaders who like Corbyn lose their first General El

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Opposition leaders who like Corbyn lose their first General Election hardly ever make it to Prime Minister

One of the relatively unusual features of last year’s general election was that the losing main party leader did not quit or was forced out of his job in the aftermath of defeat.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,204
    First - Sleazy broken Corbyn on the slide
    So like Ted Heath Corbyn will take us into the EC/EU?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    These thread headers are always so ... aspiring to be Ted Heath... Brutal.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,974
    edited June 2018
    Perhaps there are a lot of similarities between 2017 and 1987. Labour started out very pessimistic and thought they were fighting for survival and ended up euphoric about 'winning' the campaign and coming a solid second.

Corbyn = Kinnock: He's alright.
    Pulpstar said:

Ted Heath was awesome.

Took the UK into the EC

Took Middlesbrough out of Yorkshire

Helped destroy the grammar school system in the UK thanks to his brilliant Education Secretary who continued the good work when she became PM.
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    "Modern times"
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,930
    edited June 2018
    Corbyn is more likely to be Kinnock than Heath in my view but we will see.

Howard arguably had a case to stay on as Tory leader in 2005 given the 33 seats he gained were even more than the 30 seats Corbyn gained in 2005 and the 20 Kinnock gained in 1987. Howard would also have had a reasonable chance of beating Brown in 2010 too but he made a great act of self sacrifice in handing over to Cameron who he though was more electable despite his relative inexperience at the time.
    I thought Pam Anderson was with Gene Simmonds.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    But it's possible!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,080
    I take it that 'modern times' started in 1955 then? As both the PM and LOTO in 1951 had lost their first elections as leader (indeed Churchill lost the first two).

It was Italy that sabotaged Junckers and Tusk's press conference tonight confirming all is not at all well in the EU and for Merkel especially

https://twitter.com/albertonardelli/status/1012393989297885184?s=21
    Arrogant like a leader suddenly caring about migration again, and seeking a solution, because of domestic troubles?
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Not quite accurate Mike ....

Churchill lost the 45 and 50 general elections before winning in 1951.
    ydoethur said:

I take it that 'modern times' started in 1955 then? As both the PM and LOTO in 1951 had lost their first elections as leader (indeed Churchill lost the first two).

Modern times = Since the Tories started electing their leaders rather than magic circle picking them.
    It was only 2 years into the other parliament, Corbyn getting another go seems reasonable given he did so much better than expected. Every year that passes is another which gives the standard 'It's time for a change' argument to work on people.

ydoethur said:

Modern times = Since the Tories started electing their leaders rather than magic circle picking them.
    So that would be 1965. That would also conveniently eliminate the awkward question of whether Gaitskell should be on that list or not.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    JackW said:

Churchill was NOT opposition leader in 1945
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,474
    On importatnt elections:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1012333096757284866?s=19

Syston Ridgeway is near me. A fairly middle class northern suburb of Leicester, including a rather nice country park and small dinghy club. There is a reasonable Gujerati Hindu population that hasmoved out of town, up the Melton rd. Quite a lot of new housing planned for the area, but a fairly safe Tory hold IMO.

ydoethur said:

Personally I consider "modern times" to be post 1688 .... and so much the worse for it !!
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,024
    Internal migration within England and Wales:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/migrationwithintheuk/datasets/internalmigrationlaandregionmovesandbysexandsingleyearofagetotals

Can anyone guess the only London borough to have positive internal migration ?

Pulpstar said:

Ted Heath was awesome.

Took the UK into the EC

Took Middlesbrough out of Yorkshire

Helped destroy the grammar school system in the UK thanks to his brilliant Education Secretary who continued the good work when she became PM.
    It was Wilson and Crosland and Williams who put in train most of the closure of the majority of grammar schools, Heath did not block it but it was not he who pushed it and he was very loyal to his old grammar school himself which played a key role in getting him to No 10. Thatcher also slowed the rate of closure of grammars as PM and there are now more pupils in grammars than there were in 1979.
    edited June 2018
    kle4 said:

It was only 2 years into the other parliament, Corbyn getting another go seems reasonable given he did so much better than expected. Every year that passes is another which gives the standard 'It's time for a change' argument to work on people.

'Time for a change' only works if the alternative is better. It worked for Blair (and Cameron to a lesser extent). It didn't work for Kinnock. May or her successor could balls up so spectacularly the Jezaster looks better, but most scenarios that lead to that conclusion involve either Michael Gove or subsequent nuclear winters.

JackW said:

Interesting question as to whether Attlee was, of course, given Parliament was prorogued as soon as he withdrew from the coalition.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    kle4 said:

It was Italy that sabotaged Junckers and Tusk's press conference tonight confirming all is not at all well in the EU and for Merkel especially

https://twitter.com/albertonardelli/status/1012393989297885184?s=21
    Arrogant like a leader suddenly caring about migration again, and seeking a solution, because of domestic troubles?
    They really don't like someone having their own mind in Brussels. Dave should have worked a lot harder to be a thorn in their side from 2010 to 2015 and destroy their anti-democracy consensus.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/migrationwithintheuk/datasets/internalmigrationlaandregionmovesandbysexandsingleyearofagetotals

From the rest of the UK or from the rest of London?
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

JackW said:

But he was a first time election loser main party leader!

JackW said:

But he did lose and stayed on. Attlee lost as Opposition leader in 1935 too, albeit while gaining 102 seats, winning a landslide in '45.

I don't think either Jezza or Tezza will fight the GE in 2022, but may well do if there is a GE sooner.
    Sweden - 80/1 for the World Cup. Might be worth a few quid give they've seen off Holland, Italy and Germany.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Scott_P said:
    The analogy I like is the childrens game of "Pin the Tail on the Donkey".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_the_tail_on_the_donkey
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,348
    Right, pb: According to the evidence Ican find (which is surprisingly scant) the difference between England'srecord on BBC and on ITV is astounding: prior to this WC, and since 1982, the win rate on BBC was 64% and on ITV 21%. (https://www.onthebox.com/features/can-england-break-the-curse-of-itv-this-world-cup/) Seemingly the last WC win ITV televised was against Trinidad and Tobago in 2006. This is getting in to the realm of serious statistical significance. ITV are seemingly a similar curse in the Euros. Is this just an urban myth, or is this true? Proper verifiable data seems surprisingly hard to come by. Is there any nice rational explanation. (I think ITV have the Colombia game, so we may as well give up now).
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

'Time for a change' only works if the alternative is better. It worked for Blair (and Cameron to a lesser extent). It didn't work for Kinnock. May or her successor could balls up so spectacularly the Jezaster looks better, but most scenarios that lead to that conclusion involve either Michael Gove or subsequent nuclear winters.
    It doesn't always work, obviously. But I would guess the longer one party is in power the greater the chance the public might be willing to have 'time for a change, any change' outweigh the 'don't take the risk with option x' factor. 12 years is a long time to be in charge, and there will be negative economic impacts before the next election, and Corbyn came surprisingly close this time.

I don't say it will happen because 'time for a change' always wins out. But I think it is a point in his favour, particularly if we start suffering more, since more will be willing to take the chance, or more Tories will stay home. Corbyn won't necessarily be as scary to some as he was last time as well. (or inspiring, necessarily).
    edited June 2018

JackW said:

I refer the Right Honourable OGH to an element of unintended variation of the actuality in his otherwise excellent thread encyclical .... :smile:
    edited June 2018
    Corbyn confirms he opposes 'a peoples' vote' on Good Evening Britain but that he wants Parliament to have the final say, he also confirms he wants to leave the single market though trade with it and leave 'a' customs union but stay in 'a' customs union.

Says it should be remembered a significant minority of Labour voters voted Leave
    alex. said:

JackW said:

And he was the LOTO in 1950, of course.

However, as an ex-Prime Minister, even aged 75 and suffering the after-effects of a stroke, he still had a huge advantage.

Ridiculous trivia question - since 1830, how many Conservative leaders who are ex-PMs have been unseated in opposition when they actually tried to fight their demotion? The answer is surprising.
    tlg86 said:

The rest of the UK.

I think there's a more detailed spreadsheet which gives migration from every local council to every other local council but I've not had the opportunity to look at that yet.
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn confirms he opposes 'a peoples' vote' on Good Evening Britain but that he wants Parliament to have the final say, he also confirms he wants to leave the single market though trade with it and leave 'a' customs union but stay in 'a' customs union.

Says it should be remembered a significant minority of Labour voters voted Leave

He's trying to tread a fine line, and banking on, correctly, that die hard remainers who didn't go with the LDs will stick with him.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Cookie said:

Right, pb: According to the evidence Ican find (which is surprisingly scant) the difference between England'srecord on BBC and on ITV is astounding: prior to this WC, and since 1982, the win rate on BBC was 64% and on ITV 21%. (https://www.onthebox.com/features/can-england-break-the-curse-of-itv-this-world-cup/) Seemingly the last WC win ITV televised was against Trinidad and Tobago in 2006. This is getting in to the realm of serious statistical significance. ITV are seemingly a similar curse in the Euros. Is this just an urban myth, or is this true? Proper verifiable data seems surprisingly hard to come by. Is there any nice rational explanation. (I think ITV have the Colombia game, so we may as well give up now).

https://twitter.com/RichTReynolds/status/1012425644632834048
    HYUFD said:

His Brexit position sounded fair enough to me just then.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    alex. said:

JackW said:

The heading says -

Opposition leaders who like Corbyn lose their first General Election hardly ever make it to Prime Minister

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Wondering what are the odds on a Belgium England final.
    edited June 2018
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

This Twitter Thread gave me pause for thought. Does the more charismatic contender always gain here too?

Jezza 2017
    Dave 2015
    Dave 2010
    Tony 2005, 2001, 1997
    Major 1992 (perhaps a nil nil draw with Neil)
    Maggie etc

https://twitter.com/aliamjadrizvi/status/1012178962649247745?s=19
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

It doesn't always work, obviously. But I would guess the longer one party is in power the greater the chance the public might be willing to have 'time for a change, any change' outweigh the 'don't take the risk with option x' factor. 12 years is a long time to be in charge, and there will be negative economic impacts before the next election, and Corbyn came surprisingly close this time.

I don't say it will happen because 'time for a change' always wins out. But I think it is a point in his favour, particularly if we start suffering more, since more will be willing to take the chance, or more Tories will stay home. Corbyn won't necessarily be as scary to some as he was last time as well. (or inspiring, necessarily).
    With a sane Labour Party, I'd agree. In fact I'd probably vote for them.

That doesn't apply in this case. Corbyn perfectly exploited a perfect storm, still lost badly, and has gone backwards since. The only reason More has not been made of his shocking party management, innumerable u-turns and inveterate fudging is because the government while less disastrously inept has actual immediate impact on people's lives.
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

This Twitter Thread gave me pause for thought. Does the more charismatic contender always gain here too?

Jezza 2017
    Dave 2015
    Dave 2010
    Tony 2005, 2001, 1997
    Maggie etc

If charisma always wins then that means maybe only Boris can stop Corbyn
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

He's trying to tread a fine line, and banking on, correctly, that die hard remainers who didn't go with the LDs will stick with him.
    Or if they do it will be in safe Labour seats not marginals so will not lose Labour any seats

tlg86 said:

The rest of the UK.

I think there's a more detailed spreadsheet which gives migration from every local council to every other local council but I've not had the opportunity to look at that yet.
    Hillingdon, Bromley, Bexley, perhaps Sutton. Is it Sutton ?
    Definitely outer London I reckon.

tlg86 said:

The rest of the UK.

I would guess somewhere studenty hipsterish.
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

With a sane Labour Party, I'd agree. In fact I'd probably vote for them.

That doesn't apply in this case. Corbyn perfectly exploited a perfect storm, still lost badly, and has gone backwards since. The only reason More has not been made of his shocking party management, innumerable u-turns and inveterate fudging is because the government while less disastrously inept has actual immediate impact on people's lives.
    And because come a campaign a lot of people will instantly forget his flaws again and back him - maybe not enough to win, and I don't think enough to win big in the absence of a Tory split, but I think you overestimate how much people will judge a Corbyn led Labour party in, say, 2022, as not being sane, no matter what they say or do. Just a gut feel.
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

His Brexit position sounded fair enough to me just then.
    He is trying to respect the Brexit vote, keep Labour together and win the next general election
    Danny Dyer on ITV says 'no one understands Brexit, what happened to that twat David Cameron who left us with it, where is the geezer?'
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jezza 2017
    Dave 2015
    Dave 2010
    Tony 2005, 2001, 1997
    Maggie etc

Perhaps. First he needs to get the gig. Chukka on the other side perhaps too.
    edited June 2018
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jezza 2017
    Dave 2015
    Dave 2010
    Tony 2005, 2001, 1997
    Maggie etc

Was Wilson more charismatic than Heath ?

Heath must have been pretty charismatic in 1970 as that was after his great yachting triumph in Australia.

Macmillan, Eden and Churchill continue the run to 1951.

But Atlee was seriously lacking.

tlg86 said:

The rest of the UK.

I'll go for Bromley.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,348
    Scott_P said:

Cookie said:

Great work Scott - thanks.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I'm not sure that 'time for a change' works for Corbyn, since he's been leader longer than May.

You need a fresh face for that.

HYUFD said:

Danny Dyer on ITV says 'no one understands Brexit, what happened to that twat David Cameron who left us with it, where is the geezer?'

He jumped before he was pushed, Danny, pay attention. And it was we the people who left us with it, for better and worse, unless we believe the public are children now.
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jezza 2017
    Dave 2015
    Dave 2010
    Tony 2005, 2001, 1997
    Maggie etc

I could see Boris winning in 2022 against Corbyn, then Chuka beating Boris in 2027 yes.
    edited June 2018

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jezza 2017
    Dave 2015
    Dave 2010
    Tony 2005, 2001, 1997
    Maggie etc

Heath must have been pretty charismatic in 1970 as that was after his great yachting triumph in Australia.

Attlee was largely before mass TV and played 5, lost 3, won 2.

Wilson beat Heath 3 times out of 4
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    JCWNBPM
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jezza 2017
    Dave 2015
    Dave 2010
    Tony 2005, 2001, 1997
    Maggie etc

I confess I haven't seen much of him in quite some time. I recall him being engaging, though like a lot of newer MPs in particular overly pissy when questioned by journalists (in particular adopting the feigned outrage at being attacked approach to hostile questioning, before any hostile questioning even begins), so I find it hard to judge if he has that genuine quality.

Boris has charisma, no doubt about it, but his powers are waning.

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jezza 2017
    Dave 2015
    Dave 2010
    Tony 2005, 2001, 1997
    Maggie etc

Charisma was perhaps less significant pre TV.

I would say Wilson had more charisma than the famously intelligent, but stuffy Ted Heath. Over 5 elections Wilson won 4:1.

It is an interesting Twitter Thread that got me thinking. Like him or loathe him, but Corbyn has charisma, and May does not.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The rest of the UK.

I'll go for Bromley.
    Nearly but not quiet.

Bromley is -335.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Jonathan said:

Best price 25/1 with SunBets.
    HYUFD said:

LOL! Brexit is dead in the water.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,537
    Jonathan said:

Whatever they are, they're too short.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

He jumped before he was pushed, Danny, pay attention. And it was we the people who left us with it, for better and worse, unless we believe the public are children now.
    I am sure Danny D voted Leave certainly
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The rest of the UK.

I'll go for Bromley.
    It's Havering.
    Bromley, Bexley and Sutton are all negative to a few hundred not thousands.

I'm not sure that 'time for a change' works for Corbyn, since he's been leader longer than May.

I don't follow. The question people ask themselves is if it is time to change government, not 'oh gods, X has been LoTO too long'. It's possible not being fresh could hit him next time, particularly if up against a different, and better, Tory campaigner, but merely having been leader longer doesn't seem very relevant.

HYUFD said:

Or most people are bored to tears with the negotiation process
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I am sure Danny D voted Leave certainly
    He probably didn't vote.

HYUFD said:

Not dead, but there's a lot of energy wasting flapping which could still see us reach safety, or may mean we have to hope a life raft comes out to rescue us.
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The rest of the UK.

I'll go for Bromley.
    It's Havering.
    Ha! The borough that's talked about leaving London.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,537
    kle4 said:

I don't follow. The question people ask themselves is if it is time to change government, not 'oh gods, X has been LoTO too long'. It's possible not being fresh could hit him next time, particularly if up against a different, and better, Tory campaigner, but merely having been leader longer doesn't seem very relevant.
    Exactly!

Jonathan said:

Sounds about right. 538 gives an 18% chance of England in the Final, and 17% for Belgium.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-world-cup-predictions/

It also gives a 60% chance of us beating Columbia.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jezza 2017
    Dave 2015
    Dave 2010
    Tony 2005, 2001, 1997
    Maggie etc

twitter.com/aliamjadrizvi/status/1012178962649247745?s=19
    If charisma always wins, how come Hillary got 3 million more votes than the Donald? Charisma might explain why Trump beat the other Republicans to the nomination but that is all.
    I've found the picture I'm going to use in all future Corbyn related threads.image

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jezza 2017
    Dave 2015
    Dave 2010
    Tony 2005, 2001, 1997
    Maggie etc

If charisma always wins, how come Hillary got 3 million more votes than the Donald? Charisma might explain why Trump beat the other Republicans to the nomination but that is all.
    Charisma doesn't always Trump sanity?
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The rest of the UK.

I'll go for Bromley.
    It's Havering.
    Perhaps the most interesting thing was how much of the Home Counties commuter belt has negative internal migration:

Bracknell
    Slough
    Windsor
    Chiltern
    S Bucks
    Wycombe
    Brentwood
    Broxbourne
    Dacorum
    Hertsmere
    Three Rivers
    Watford
    Embridge
    Epsom
    Guildford
    Mole Valley
    Runnymede
    Spelthorne
    Surrey Heath
    Woking

plus most of the SE new towns.
    edited June 2018

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jezza 2017
    Dave 2015
    Dave 2010
    Tony 2005, 2001, 1997
    Maggie etc

I doubt it is the only factor, but I don't think it was not a reason either - without his charisma would he have even gotten as close as 3 million, and would he have won his votes in the right places, which again it wasn't thought by most that he would? Indeed, his charisma and style may have won him those votes in the right places and contributed to him actually losing the popular vote by more because what worked in the right places for him to win encouraged loads more to vote against him in places that didn't matter. But I'm just spitballing.

If he charisma wasn't a factor in his winning, then it was a coincidence.
    Cookie said:

Scott_P said:

Cookie said:

Great work Scott - thanks.
    From a reputable source on Digital Spy:

The knockout stage matches in 2002 were shown on both ITV/BBC, the last time this was done for an England match (it would have happened in 2006/2010 if England had got to the semi-finals.)

The Portugal game in 2006 was also on the BBC rather than ITV.

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Jezza 2017
    Dave 2015
    Dave 2010
    Tony 2005, 2001, 1997
    Maggie etc

https://twitter.com/aliamjadrizvi/status/1012181583770484736?s=19

and

https://twitter.com/aliamjadrizvi/status/1012182010587066369?s=19

But Bernie is too old by 2020,so 4 more years of Trump tantrums unless the Dems can find someone younger with that stardust.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    I just don't want it on ITV because the presenter is rubbish and the pundits are bad (except Wright). The BBC have definitely got the choice pundits this year.
    MaxPB said:

I just don't want it on ITV because the presenter is rubbish and the pundits are bad (except Wright). The BBC have definitely got the choice pundits this year.

You'll be one of those numpties demanding the BBC rip up their agreement with ITV should England get to the semi final.
    edited June 2018

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The rest of the UK.

I'll go for Bromley.
    It's Havering.
    Perhaps the most interesting thing was how much of the Home Counties commuter belt has negative internal migration:

Bracknell
    Slough
    Windsor
    Chiltern
    S Bucks
    Wycombe
    Brentwood
    Broxbourne
    Dacorum
    Hertsmere
    Three Rivers
    Watford
    Embridge
    Epsom
    Guildford
    Mole Valley
    Runnymede
    Spelthorne
    Surrey Heath
    Woking

plus most of the SE new towns.
    If you live in the most expensive Home Counties areas and are not a London commuter then obviously you have to move further afield to buy a property in many cases.

• RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The Irish PM is a class act. " We've got a population of 500,000,000 in 27 countries who also have to be considered" he said almost pityingly. What an feeble country we have become. Our best chance is that they take pity on us like you would a blind crippled kitten on a three lane motorway.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

You'll be one of those numpties demanding the BBC rip up their agreement with ITV should England get to the semi final.
    Perhaps ITV can bring in Adrian Chiles to ask why it all went so horribly wrong again SPan in the semi-final.....

ITV should stand down, in the national interest. This is important, people. We always lose when ITV have the commentary.* If 100,000 can march for a second referendum, surely we can get a million out for this?

*This may not be supported by evidence, but it feels right.
    edited June 2018

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Perhaps ITV can bring in Adrian Chiles to ask why it all went so horribly wrong again SPan in the semi-final.....

ITV should stand down, in the national interest. This is important, people. We always lose when ITV have the commentary.* If 100,000 can march for a second referendum, surely we can get a million out for this?

*This may not be supported by evidence, but it feels right.
    You'll want Corbyn in no10 too.
    edited June 2018
    Roger said:

The Irish PM is a class act. " We've got a population of 500,000,000 in 27 countries who also have to be considered" he said almost pityingly. What an feeble country we have become. Our best chance is that they take pity on us like you would a blind crippled kitten on a three lane motorway.
    Post Brexit UK will be the EU's largest export destination, even larger than the USA which is second largest and where Trump is putting heavy tariffs on EU imports.

It is not as if the EU has no benefit at all from a trade deal with the UK even if one would probably benefit us more relatively speaking it is in both our interests to get one
    When Brexit becomes toxic to the extent that moments like that resonate in pop culture there is no way back for it.
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Sounds about right. 538 gives an 18% chance of England in the Final, and 17% for Belgium.

18% and 17% seem high despite it being a technical 12.5% chance.

When Brexit becomes toxic to the extent that moments like that resonate in pop culture there is no way back for it.

William, it's Danny Dyer. He plays himself in Eastenders for god's sake.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Roger said:

Your direction is off, you meant R not L.
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

18% and 17% seem high despite it being a technical 12.5% chance.
    Argue with Nate! I suppose that no one seriously expects Russia, Japan, Columbia etc to go all the way, raising the chance of us making it.

Spain vs Brazil final seems most likely, but I think plenty of drama yet.
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Post Brexit UK will be the EU's largest export destination, even larger than the USA which is second largest and where Trump is putting heavy tariffs on EU imports.

It is not as if the EU has no benefit at all from a trade deal with the UK even if one would probably benefit us more relatively speaking it is in both our interests to get one
    It is in both our economic interests.

Unfortunately the EU and their negotiating team have persistently put their federalist instincts ahead of economic reality.

That said, if we had put economics above politics we wouldn't be leaving anyway, so we're in no position to criticise.
    Pulpstar said:

I looked him up. He said Ed Miliband was weird in 2014. Clearly a political oracle...

Pulpstar said:

I looked him up. He said Ed Miliband was weird in 2014. Clearly a political oracle...
    And a direct descendant of Edward IIIrd, his 'cockney geezer' act is exactly that

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2186014/danny-dyers-royally-shocking-links-to-william-the-conqueror-and-edward-iii-prove-youre-probably-related-to-a-king-too/

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Unfortunately the EU and their negotiating team have persistently put their federalist instincts ahead of economic reality.

That said, if we had put economics above politics we wouldn't be leaving anyway, so we're in no position to criticise.
    Still, no reason we cannot at least do a basic FTA as Canada has
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

A basic FTA like Canada means customs infrastructure and the EU Withdrawal Act rules that out in Ireland, so it implies a customs border in the Irish sea.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

A basic FTA like Canada means customs infrastructure and the EU Withdrawal Act rules that out in Ireland, so it implies a customs border in the Irish sea.
    No it also rules out a customs border in the Irish sea.

If the EU isn't willing to honour that then the deal is nul and void. Nothing agreed until everything agreed. Time to build customs posts in Ireland.
This discussion has been closed.