Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Former long-standing favourite to succeed TMay, Moggsy now dow

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited June 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Former long-standing favourite to succeed TMay, Moggsy now down in third place in the betting

Betdata.io

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    Fir-e update (surely a little more salient than a strawberry one!):
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    What happened to change sentiment on Gove?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    It all kicked off before my edit. At the risk of sounding like I blagged the first, I will update within the hour! The joy of kids, eh!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

A good question. I assume that JRM has not been getting in the headlines as much, his star is already fading, or the cynical think that while they like him his weaknesses are just too great for the MPs to put him in the final two should the opportunity arise, so they are simply going back on a longer standing favourite of the members.
  • Options

I called this on June 24th 2016 if not before.

SeanT wants another referendum, which includes the option of Remaining.

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/1012770292006096909

Bah - I flip flopped to us needing another referendum before he did.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,029
    kle4 said:

Be comforted that your flip flop will almost certainly last longer than his.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    @SeanT is wrong, he had the full benefit of our most esteemed and excellent thoughts on here before the referendum, including very clear direction from Richard Nabavi and Alastair Meeks.
    We are not rerunning the referendum just because he's flounced - he should have thought harder before he voted to leave.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,375
    edited June 2018

1) He's looking like one of the few competent cabinet ministers

2) JRM and Boris are proving to be overrated/wholly unsuited to being PM so Gove is the last Leaver left standing

3) Gove was getting the support of the Osbornite faction. Gove, apart from Brexit, is pure Cameroon. We need someone articulating One Nation Toryism, it is the only Type of Toryism to have won a majority this century. The party still has a majority One Nation MP make up.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@SeanT is wrong, he had the full benefit of our most esteemed and excellent thoughts on here before the referendum, including very clear direction from Richard Nabavi and Alastair Meeks.
    We are not rerunning the referendum just because he's flounced - he should have thought harder before he voted to leave.

I'm sure it is nothing to do with this.

London property prices fall as much as 15% as Brexit effect deepens

Average price in Wandsworth dips more than £100,000 with falls of up to 15% in capital in 12 months

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/mar/12/london-property-prices-plunge-as-brexit-effect-deepens
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,517
    kle4 said:

Don’t worry, Sean’s opinions don’t yet warrant constitutional status.
  • Options
    If Sean gets his wish it would mean the referendum is held under AV.

What's not to love and am sure 100% of PBers will support this.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Average price in Wandsworth dips more than £100,000 with falls of up to 15% in capital in 12 months

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/mar/12/london-property-prices-plunge-as-brexit-effect-deepens
    Speaking personally my reasoning for agreeing that we need a second referendum (though whether it should be on accepting the deal, to get public buy in as I do think it would pass, or to include a Remain option, I am less sure on) is because of the continued incompetence of May and co. It was a damn hard job before losing the majority, and even harder afterwards, but given the Cabinet is still bickering about what to try and go for and there is so little time available, clearly the government is not capable of determining what to even ask for of the EU, and when it does try something it is something explicitly rejected by the EU half the time.

Therefore while I don't see it entirely resolving the nation's, and it would be very complicated to arrange, nor do I see a political path to it happening right now, I think some kind of at least broad philosophical direction of soft/hard/remain being put back to the people is looking less horrible as time goes on.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited June 2018
    Fpt, and ot because you should all try this..

If you mix natural yoghurt with some salt in a muslin cloth on a sieve on a bowl then leave it in the fridge overnight you get Labneh, Lebanese cream cheese. The salt releases the whey. If you stir in grated garlic and herbes de Provence with the salt you get something like Boursin but so much better. I'm eating some now and highly recommend
  • Options
    What kind of deal is a deal which sees the people agreed it 'split' on what it means a day later?

Migrant crisis: EU leaders split over new migrant deal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44660806

Not a good look when the deals in question are as clear as a compromise between May and Dominic Grieve.

But if it saves Merkel's job I guess it achieved its aim.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,065

Pulpstar said:

Does he still live in that crappy little flat in Camden Town ?

Or has he spent some of his newly acquired fortune on a megalomaniac's mansion ?
  • Options

If you mix natural yoghurt with some salt in a muslin cloth on a sieve on a bowl then leave it in the fridge overnight you get Labneh, Lebanese cream cheese. The salt releases the whey. If you stir in grated garlic and herbes de Provence with the salt you get something like Boursin but so much better. I'm eating some now and highly recommend

Where's the easiest place to buy muslin cloth ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Speaking personally my reasoning for agreeing that we need a second referendum (though whether it should be on accepting the deal, to get public buy in as I do think it would pass, or to include a Remain option, I am less sure on) is because of the continued incompetence of May and co. It was a damn hard job before losing the majority, and even harder afterwards, but given the Cabinet is still bickering about what to try and go for and there is so little time available, clearly the government is not capable of determining what to even ask for of the EU, and when it does try something it is something explicitly rejected by the EU half the time.

Therefore while I don't see it entirely resolving the nation's, and it would be very complicated to arrange, nor do I see a political path to it happening right now, I think some kind of at least broad philosophical direction of soft/hard/remain being put back to the people is looking less horrible as time goes on.
    We voted to Leave and we must Leave.

People can't complain now if they realise now that Leaving means we get a worse deal than we currently have, they were warned many times beforehand.

You won, suck it up, to paraphrase Sean.

So if we have a bad Brexit, we can overturn it at the 2022 or 2027 general election, I'm fairly certain at least one if not both major parties will campaign on rejoining, wanting to continue economic ruin won't be an election winner I expect.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

People can't complain now if they realise now that Leaving means we get a worse deal than we currently have, they were warned many times beforehand.

So if we have a bad Brexit, we can overturn it at the 2022 or 2027 general election, I'm fairly certain at least one if not both major parties will campaign on rejoining, wanting to continue economic ruin won't be an election winner I expect.
    I can see the posters now:

"We spend X on the NHS lets send it to the EU instead"
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Pulpstar said:

I wish some of that house price plunging would happen in Edinburgh.
  • Options

I haven't found any yet, but have been using cheap tesco all purpose cloths instead. They're only good for one use, where you can reuse muslin. And on my first go, when I was squeezing away whey, I split the cloth by pressing too hard, which wouldn't happen with muslin. I gather fabric stores and some baby stores have it. But I'm sure it's not hard to get online.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Won't have the same impact if Brexit is associated with economic ruin.

Plus the comments of Leavers pre referendum will be used to damage the case of staying out.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

By the time we get back in we will be poor enough to get a subsidy from Romania
  • Options
    edited June 2018

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

@o leave.

Perhaps in your haste to be a smartarse you failed to notice I have not yet decided if I felt it should be a referendum on the deal or a referendum which included a remain option, nor did I say I would vote to remain or hope that the people would either - it was about how to obtain a resolution(or at least as much of one as is possible), since the government is clearly incapable to figuring out what it wants so that we can have a resolution of some kind.

So 'suck it up, you won' is a load of bollocks, since it wasn't a complaint about what kind of deal we are getting and it being bad and isn't that terrible (it may well be, but that wasn't what this point was about), it was about trying to arrive at a conclusion which has some more public satisfaction, be it soft/hard or remain. Or at least trying to arrive at said conclusion more effectively.

But well done sidestepping that for the point you wanted it to be rather than the point it was. The kind of thinking which lost it for remain, it's good to see no sides have learned any lessons in the past few years, since it's much more satisfying to pretend.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    Is Sean having a mid-summer meltdown? :D
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,258
    Amazon sells muslin bags for cooking
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,029
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Uddingston prices are rock bottom. Time to invest.

https://twitter.com/alanferrier/status/1012764329610039296
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    kle4 said:

Perhaps in your haste to be a smartarse you failed to notice I have not yet decided if I felt it should be a referendum on the deal or a referendum which included a remain option, nor did I say I would vote to remain or hope that the people would either - it was about how to obtain a resolution(or at least as much of one as is possible), since the government is clearly incapable to figuring out what it wants so that we can have a resolution of some kind.

So 'suck it up, you won' is a load of bollocks, since it wasn't a complaint about what kind of deal we are getting and it being bad and isn't that terrible (it may well be, but that wasn't what this point was about), it was about trying to arrive at a conclusion which has some more public satisfaction, be it soft/hard or remain. Or at least trying to arrive at said conclusion more effectively.

But well done sidestepping that for the point you wanted it to be rather than the point it was. The kind of thinking which lost it for remain, it's good to see no sides have learned any lessons in the past few years, since it's much more satisfying to pretend.

I was not intending to be a smartarse.

Any referendum on a deal that includes an option to Remain is an affront to democracy, we'd be in perpetual neverendums*.

A significant number of Leavers wouldn't accept it and I'd expect violence on the street, so that's another reason to avoid it.

I've learned the lessons from defeat, it helped me realise why Mrs May was crap before everybody else. Have cake and eat it politics is popular, Corbyn is just following the Leave playbook.

*Plus it would set a precedent that the SNP would exploit ruthlessly to overturn the 2014 referendum result.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    OK, fire update: Winter Hill looked a smaller fire than yesterday when it set off early afternoon, but I may have been seeing the Bolton one just over the Gtr Manchester border from Winter Hill.

Saddleworth was less smoky than yesterday ,but there were two small active fires I could see, one where the moor meets the Greenfield/Mossley border and a small fire to the west of Uppermill.

Once home there was a grass fire above the John Smith's stadium, about the 6th grass fire in the Huddersfield area in the last 48 hours. I'm sure that picture is repeated across a dozen or so moor edge towns and cities.

The main news is that the wind is increasing, with 30mph gusts forecast to coincide with the early afternoon temperature peaks on both Saturday and Sunday. The weekend could see the worst of things, especially above the M61 where the fires are freer to travel west.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

kle4 said:

Any referendum on a deal that includes an option to Remain is an affront to democracy, we'd be in perpetual neverendums*.

A significant number of Leavers wouldn't accept it and I'd expect violence on the street, so that's another reason to avoid it.

I've learned the lessons from defeat, it helped me realise why Mrs May was crap before everybody else. Have cake and eat it politics is popular, Corbyn is just following the Leave playbook.

*Plus it would set a precedent that the SNP would exploit ruthlessly to overturn the 2014 referendum result.
    I think you are right. But I am not sure that you would get what you want. Any new referendum - and I am not opposed to one on the terms you suggest - would almost certainly be highjacked by those who would want the choice of Remain added to it.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,192
    Third place?

But he's so sexy
  • Options

kle4 said:

We could have a referendum on a hard or soft Brexit I suppose. Obviously Barnier's vote is worth 30 million British ones or so ;)
  • Options
    Bouncing back from humiliation in the world cup, the Germans have won todays' internet:

Porsche have broken the Nordschleife record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=PQmSUHhP3ug
  • Options
    edited June 2018

kle4 said:

Plus the comments of Leavers pre referendum will be used to damage the case of staying out.
    We keep on being told that it will be economic ruin yet the people predicting that have so far been continually wrong in their predictions.

Now what happens in the future I don't know and nor do you yet you seem very unwilling to accept that there might be any other outcome than economic ruin.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Pulpstar said:

Bouncing back from humiliation in the world cup, the Germans have won todays' internet:

The brakes are extraordinary as much as anything. 280 to 150 in a second
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alas the big fall is in the most expensive homes, London as a whole fell 1.8% - useful, to me at least, but not a gamechanger
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

It seems you've got the opposite:

' In other areas of the country, prices are still growing strongly, by 7.1% in Edinburgh and 7% in Manchester, year on year. '

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jun/29/london-house-price-growth-at-nine-year-low-amid-edinburgh-and-manchester-spurt
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2018

Pulpstar said:

Does he still live in that crappy little flat in Camden Town ?

Or has he spent some of his newly acquired fortune on a megalomaniac's mansion ?
    So (prime) London prices have gone from being totally insane to slightly less totally insane? Clearly all down to Brexit and nothing else like stamp duty, buy to let tax changes or even more crazily people are no longer willing to pay the crazy prices?

Given the housing crisis and lack of affordability for anyone in London still renting who doesn't earn £100k and have a wealthy mummy and daddy to give them £100k for a deposit - so they can take out a 4 times salary mortgage to buy a one bed in Peckham - it's surely a positive sign!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alas the big fall is in the most expensive homes, London as a whole fell 1.8% - useful, to me at least, but not a gamechanger
    So it is hurting those most able to afford it, and marginally useful for those who could do with some relief on house prices.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

So it is hurting those most able to afford it, and marginally useful for those who could do with some relief on house prices.
    Yes. The ordinary homeowner is basically not affected, with no prospect of negative equity.
  • Options

kle4 said:

We keep on being told that it will be economic ruin yet the people predicting that have so far been continually wrong in their predictions.

Now what happens in the future I don't know and nor do you yet you seem very unwilling to accept that there might be any other outcome than economic ruin.
    Let us just imagine that over the last year UK retail sales had fallen by 1.6% while Germany's had increased by 3.9%.

It would be headline news and we would be being told that Brexit had destroyed the UK economy, there would be political uproar and the media would be interviews with redundant shop workers etc.

But that's not happened.

Instead its German retail sales which have fallen 1.6% over the last year and the UK's which have risen 3.9%.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

My predictions have largely been spot on.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/722391453599723520

I said overturning 43 years membership should be a process not an event, but the man who is charge of Brexit thought it would be easy.

We are in month 16 of triggering article 50 and we still haven't worked out what we want, that's something we should have sorted before we triggered Article 50.

Economic ruin will flow because we're running out of time to get stuff sorted.

There's only one realistic option as I don't think BINO will be sellable, and that's to trigger an extension of Article 50.

In less than 12 weeks time the organisation I work for will have to make decision to move several business divisions to the EU because we won't be able to function with a no deal.

I know several other firms in the field are making similar contingencies.

Not to worry, this sector only exported circa £25 billion per year of services to EU customers.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

kle4 said:

Let us just imagine that over the last year UK retail sales had fallen by 1.6% while Germany's had increased by 3.9%.

It would be headline news and we would be being told that Brexit had destroyed the UK economy, there would be political uproar and the media would be interviews with redundant shop workers etc.

But that's not happened.

Instead its German retail sales which have fallen 1.6% over the last year and the UK's which have risen 3.9%.
    Er! We are still in the EU, from 30 March 2019 we won't - then the Brexshit will hit the fan...
  • Options

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Surprisingly the ONS had London property returning to positive growth in their most recent report:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/housepriceindex/april2018#house-price-index-by-english-region

I suspect it was just a statistical blip but even within London there are some big variations in property price movements.

I imagine some new build flats in less desirable areas sold to overseas investors have had sharp price falls.

Though I doubt there will be much sadness about that from Londoners.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

I can see us properly out of the EU and with tighter immigration controls until 2027 but a more moderate Labour Party winning in 2027 on a platform to rejoin the EEA and customs union
  • Options

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Surprisingly the ONS had London property returning to positive growth in their most recent report:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/housepriceindex/april2018#house-price-index-by-english-region

I suspect it was just a statistical blip but even within London there are some big variations in property price movements.

I imagine some new build flats in less desirable areas sold to overseas investors have had sharp price falls.

Both ONS (which is Land Registry data) and the two surveys show a lot of volaitlity - not much of it real - month to month. It's pretty clear London is freezing, in property terms, despite the good weather...

They bus them in for the new flats (£500k+) straight from the airport where I am. It's lieka strange tourist destination
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Duran Duran on BBC4.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Both ONS (which is Land Registry data) and the two surveys show a lot of volaitlity - not much of it real - month to month. It's pretty clear London is freezing, in property terms, despite the good weather...

They bus them in for the new flats (£500k+) straight from the airport where I am. It's lieka strange tourist destination
    Allowing for the devaluation of Sterling, a lot of overseas investors must be sitting on a loss.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

The EUreferendum was advisory, why do so many people think that it was compulsory? Just curious!
  • Options

I said overturning 43 years membership should be a process not an event, but the man who is charge of Brexit thought it would be easy.

We are in month 16 of triggering article 50 and we still haven't worked out what we want, that's something we should have sorted before we triggered Article 50.

There's only one realistic option as I don't think BINO will be sellable, and that's to trigger an extension of Article 50.

In less than 12 weeks time the organisation I work for will have to make decision to move several business divisions to the EU because we won't be able to function with a no deal.

Not to worry, this sector only exported circa £25 billion per year of services to EU customers.
    What predictions ???

All you ever do is show that tweet full of gibberish.

Show us some actual predictions about unemployment or house prices or the stock market or the trade deficit or the construction industry or retail sales or business investment or anything to do with the economics of the last two years.

If you made any there's no shame in them being wrong, whatever they were they wouldn't have been as bollox as those that the Treasury made for George Osborne.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    OchEye said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

The EUreferendum was advisory, why do so many people think that it was compulsory? Just curious!
    The government communicated far too clearly to the electorate that it was compulsory for that sleight of hand to work.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

It could be worse, just think how many there could be if they'd already built Heathrow's third runway.

:wink:
  • Options

OchEye said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

The government communicated far too clearly to the electorate that it was compulsory for that sleight of hand to work.
    It was not sleight of hand, incompetence maybe. But it still is advisory, no matter what anyone says.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Allowing for the devaluation of Sterling, a lot of overseas investors must be sitting on a loss.
    I wonder what exchange rate this bloke got:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-36880778/what-s-behind-the-huge-chinese-investment-in-sheffield
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Ms Merkel was apparently given two weeks by the CSU on 18th June to sort things out. That would run out on Monday unless they've already come to a new agreement:

https://www.economist.com/kaffeeklatsch/2018/06/19/angela-merkel-has-two-weeks-to-keep-germanys-centre-right-together
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    “Irate” Michael Gove physically tore up May’s customs plan.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6660751/michael-gove-rips-up-brexit-plan/
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Ms Merkel was apparently given two weeks by the CSU on 18th June to sort things out. That would run out on Monday unless they've already come to a new agreement:

https://www.economist.com/kaffeeklatsch/2018/06/19/angela-merkel-has-two-weeks-to-keep-germanys-centre-right-together

Things tend to get kicked further down the road in Germany.

A break between the CSU and CDU would be a big one to take.

If that does happen then together with the German footballing failure we might well be approaching the end of days.
  • Options

“Irate” Michael Gove physically tore up May’s customs plan.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6660751/michael-gove-rips-up-brexit-plan/

I don't believe that.

It would suggest that May has a plan.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

OchEye said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

It was not sleight of hand, incompetence maybe. But it still is advisory, no matter what anyone says.
    When were the electorate advised that their vote was advisory?

It's a bit late to wait until after the result, don't you think?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,809

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

@SeanT is wrong, he had the full benefit of our most esteemed and excellent thoughts on here

When were the electorate advised that their vote was advisory?

It's a bit late to wait until after the result, don't you think?
    In any event, that ship sailed when Parliament invoked A50
  • Options
    OchEye said:

OchEye said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

It was advisory, but G Miller helpfully allowed the Supreme Court to clear up the legal mess and a bill has passed through parliament.
    Taking back control if you will.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Good wine shop
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Speaking personally my reasoning for agreeing that we need a second referendum (though whether it should be on accepting the deal, to get public buy in as I do think it would pass, or to include a Remain option, I am less sure on) is because of the continued incompetence of May and co. It was a damn hard job before losing the

It was advisory, but G Miller helpfully allowed the Supreme Court to clear up the legal mess and a bill has passed through parliament.
    Ah! The sovereignty of Parliament, or is that the Executive or just TMay?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Pulpstar said:
    Holy crap, that thing accelerates like the Starship Enterprise.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Pulpstar said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Speaking personally my reasoning for agreeing that we need a second referendum (though whether it should be on accepting the deal, to get public buy in as I do think it would pass, or to include a Remain option, I am less sure on) is because of the continued incompetence of May and co. It was a damn hard job before losing the

The bills have been passed by parliament, so the legislature. Obviously it's tweedleMay and Tweedledavis in the negotiating room with Barnier.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

OchEye said:

Pulpstar said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

The bills have been passed by parliament, so the legislature. Obviously it's tweedleMay and Tweedledavis in the negotiating room with Barnier.
    But it is not just tweedleMay and tweedleDavis in the equation, Barnier is acting on behalf and under the instructions of the other 27 countries governments. Plus, when you consider that our MP's are elected to represent their constituencies, the good maintenance and governance of the country, and not internal party politics, then a different way looks possible....
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    OchEye said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Because the public were told very clearly before the vote, that'd they'd vote once and the result respected. The PM at the time said it explicitly.

The credibility of the entire political requires that some form of "leave" be executed.
  • Options

OchEye said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Because the public were told very clearly before the vote, that'd they'd vote once and the result respected. The PM at the time said it explicitly.

The credibility of the entire political requires that some form of "leave" be executed.
    Maintaining their credibility comes a poor second to the national interest. Arguably it is in the national interest now that the political class face a collective humiliation.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Things tend to get kicked further down the road in Germany.

A break between the CSU and CDU would be a big one to take.

If that does happen then together with the German footballing failure we might well be approaching the end of days.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens next week on this.
  • Options
    NY Times has new accusations about Jim Mellon.

https://twitter.com/allmattnyt/status/1012830609193029632?s=21
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149

OchEye said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

The PM also said he'd stay in the job whatever the result. He was full of shit, everyone knows it. That doesn't give him the right to bind future governments.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

The credibility of the entire political class has already been shattered by the last 2.5 years. Cabinet collective responsibility, Parliamentary sovereignty, Judicial impartiality all have been undermined by the actions of the last two years. After what I have seen, whether the referendum is `fully' implemented is just another possibility by a lacklustre political elites
  • Options
    "Rolf Degen
    @DegenRolf

One possible reason why the majority of people falsely believe that the world is getting worse: Concept creep. http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6396/1465 … "

https://twitter.com/DegenRolf/status/1012716792945528832
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

OchEye said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Maintaining their credibility comes a poor second to the national interest. Arguably it is in the national interest now that the political class face a collective humiliation.
    It's not about the political classes or "their credibility". It's more fundamental than that.

Post referendum we had a general election where around 80%+ of voters supported parties committed to Brexit.

The public made a choice, if it's not executed what's the point of voting? It may as well be North Korea.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,869
    edited June 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, good to see someone finally actually had the guts to go there and get the record (and definitely win the internet for the day!). Bellof’s 35-year-old old 6’11” has been do-able for years now, but breaking it involved turning up with a well prepared car and driver and actually going round the track. Sadly there’s not too many races there any more, and most of them are for slower GT3 cars and on a different circuit layout to the old ‘Ring.

It’s amazing how high is the current state of automotive engineering, when it doesn’t have to produce a car that complies with the rules for any actual race series. Hopefully this record inspires others to go for it, anyone got an F1 car lying around somewhere?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes. The ordinary homeowner is basically not affected, with no prospect of negative equity.
    I think this is a little naive.

A huge portion of the stock of housing loans are in London, and LTVs are highest here. A decline in London house prices negatively impacts the ability of your bank to lend in Bolton. If the decline was serious, new lending dry up, and that would affect the whole country.
  • Options

NY Times has new accusations about Jim Mellon.

https://twitter.com/allmattnyt/status/1012830609193029632?s=21

Who is this Aaron Banks?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Rolf Degen
    @DegenRolf

One possible reason why the majority of people falsely believe that the world is getting worse: Concept creep. http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6396/1465 … "

https://twitter.com/DegenRolf/status/1012716792945528832

Fascinating, and totally believable.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,258

What predictions ???

Show us some actual predictions about unemployment or house prices or the stock market or the trade deficit or the construction industry or retail sales or business investment or anything to do with the economics of the last two years.

If you made any there's no shame in them being wrong, whatever they were they wouldn't have been as bollox as those that the Treasury made for George Osborne.
    in the first quarter of this year, the country's households spent £5.8 billion more than they received.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Of those, Javid looks best-placed to me. New and fresh to the public, but holder of high office. Seemingly sound on leaving the EU, able to try and handle the migrant situation better than his two predecessors (turns out you need a man's sensitive touch ;) ).

He does have one big potential drawback, though. The Home Office is often destroyer of careers and, where it wasn't (May), perhaps it should've been. With leaving the EU there's every potential for buggering up even a small number of the very large caseload waiting, contingent on how EU migrants here are handled in the negotiations. He needs the leadership contest to come sooner, rather than later, I'd've thought.

Mr. JS, many thanks for posting that by Degen. It's fascinating, and one more reason why the concept of 'relative' poverty is utterly ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    IanB2 said:

What predictions ???

in the first quarter of this year, the country's households spent £5.8 billion more than they received.
    And the government spent around £9bn more that it received. As a country the UK is still not even close to living within its means.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

What predictions ???

Does that include mortgage origination ?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

A huge portion of the stock of housing loans are in London, and LTVs are highest here. A decline in London house prices negatively impacts the ability of your bank to lend in Bolton. If the decline was serious, new lending dry up, and that would affect the whole country.
    Will remortgaging at 25+ % ownership for OO be OK ?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

What predictions ???

And the government spent around £9bn more that it received. As a country the UK is still not even close to living within its means.
    But its getting closer.

Compared to 2010 when we were running a £175bn annual deficit the change is remarkable especially when you factor in that we have slashed that deficit without triggering a recession and that our current deficit includes the interest payments on previous ones.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,940
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, good to see someone finally actually had the guts to go there and get the record (and definitely win the internet for the day!). Bellof’s 35-year-old old 6’11” has been do-able for years now, but breaking it involved turning up with a well prepared car and driver and actually going round the track. Sadly there’s not too many races there any more, and most of them are for slower GT3 cars and on a different circuit layout to the old ‘Ring.

It’s amazing how high is the current state of automotive engineering, when it doesn’t have to produce a car that complies with the rules for any actual race series. Hopefully this record inspires others to go for it, anyone got an F1 car lying around somewhere?
    A decade or so ago, Honda went for the F1 speed record - 400 KPH (~250 MPH) at Bonneville. They got the record, but didn't quite reach 400 KPH.

Whilst sexy, there are grave doubts as to how much such records actually impact cars for the everyday pleb user - except for putting up prices ...

(On a related note, an EV has just done Pike's Peak in under eight minutes. Effing amazing.)
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06/757148-volkswagen-makes-racing-history-with-record-breaking-electric-race-car/
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

But presumably prices would fall?

It would be interesting to see some figures around the percentage of bank lending on a regional basis. After all we're obsessed with all kinds of other regional metrics.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Pulpstar said:

They lapped the ring in half the time that I did. :|
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

A decade or so ago, Honda went for the F1 speed record - 400 KPH (~250 MPH) at Bonneville. They got the record, but didn't quite reach 400 KPH.

Whilst sexy, there are grave doubts as to how much such records actually impact cars for the everyday pleb user - except for putting up prices ...

(On a related note, an EV has just done Pike's Peak in under eight minutes. Effing amazing.)
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06/757148-volkswagen-makes-racing-history-with-record-breaking-electric-race-car/
    The reason most manufacturers go racing now is more to do with marketing than engineering, the rules of most championships being very tightly defined. Technology does trickle down from F1, but most of their budgets now go on aerodynamics which will only ever end up on very high end sports cars.

Porsche does have a huge motorsport department, running hundreds of GT cars in various championships. This particular car is based on the Le Mans prototype which retired last year, plus a load more power and minus a fair bit of weight.

The electric Pikes Peak car is an interesting one, the event is well suited to electric over petrol because of the high altitude (over 4,000m at the top of the course). It’s almost as if VW are trying to disctact from their diesel problems in the US.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

What predictions ???

But its getting closer.

Compared to 2010 when we were running a £175bn annual deficit the change is remarkable especially when you factor in that we have slashed that deficit without triggering a recession and that our current deficit includes the interest payments on previous ones.
    Yes, it’s a lot better than it was, but still not there yet. Gordon Brown has a lot to answer for, running up massive ‘investments’ while times were good.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

But presumably prices would fall?

It would be interesting to see some figures around the percentage of bank lending on a regional basis. After all we're obsessed with all kinds of other regional metrics.
    Prices would fall, but the difficulties with housing would persist. I bought my first house in 1992 after a couple of years of negative equity, a 2 up 2 down terrace in Leicester. Despite a secure job as a junior Doctor, I struggled to raise the large deposit needed, and the interest rates were eye watering.

House prices need to come down, but don't expect a painless process.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Sandpit said:

Yes, it’s a lot better than it was, but still not there yet. Gordon Brown has a lot to answer for, running up massive ‘investments’ while times were good.

One of the sillier notions of Brown - and what should have been a warning sign he didn't know what he was talking about - was that he claimed he had abolished 'boom and bust' I.e. cyclical economics, but then said he was able to 'borrow to invest over the economic cycle.'

The resulting borrowing binge for current account spending was shall we say unfortunate.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

What predictions ???

But its getting closer.

In other news, there was a global financial crisis from which the economy was already recovering under Labour when Osborne took over.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    On topic, if Michael Gove was the answer, WTF was the question?
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44629193

A seven-fold increase in Brits acquiring EU citizenship. BBC has received figures showing a "huge rise" or even a "dramatic increase" in the numbers.

From 1,800 to 13,000

13,000 is about the annual number of failed applications for UK citizenship, which are about one twelfth the number of successful applications.

Why the drama about such an insignificant number?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. JohnL, you ignore Brown bringing forward lots of spending to try and create a pre-election economic boost, borrowing £153bn during a boom, and rejigging financial regulation which didn't exactly work well.

F1: hmm. There's a special on Mercedes to get a front row lock-out at 3 (Ladbrokes). There was one at 5 last week that I thought was silly, which shows what I know.

Already backed Bottas for fastest qualifier, each way (so, pays out top 2) at 7, but if you haven't the Mercedes bet is worth considering, although it's a bit mean.

Mind you, you could try matching it with a smaller stakes bet on Vettel for pole each way. Not sure what the German's odds are, so might not be long enough to work.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited June 2018
    ydoethur said:

Someone has to win. Gove is at least in the Cabinet unlike Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Can anyone remember what happened a month ago to trigger this sudden upswing in Gove's rating, and JRM's plunge? Hunt and Javid will be pleased at their more modest rises too.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2018
    Travelling up to Aberdeen yesterday I listened to the story of Anauran Bevan 'Out of Tredegar'

Narrated by Michael Sheen. BBC at its best. it even managed a short but perfectly formed swipe at Brexit. Really not to be missed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b7hl3d
  • Options

Mr. JohnL, you ignore Brown bringing forward lots of spending to try and create a pre-election economic boost, borrowing £153bn during a boom, and rejigging financial regulation which didn't exactly work well.

One of the more intriguing ironies of the failed banking regulation system was that the man who actually devised most of it was also pretty much the only senior member of the government to come out of the 2007-8 crisis with his reputation enhanced.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Someone has to win. Gove is at least in the Cabinet unlike Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Can anyone remember what happened a month ago to trigger this sudden upswing in Gove's rating, and JRM's plunge? Hunt and Javid will be pleased at their more modest rises too.
    Given a choice between Michael Gove and Jeremy Corbyn, I would vote for Corbyn.

Just because he's in the cabinet doesn't mean he's any different from Rees-Mogg in any meaningful way. It just means he's more ambitious.
This discussion has been closed.