Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Electoral Commission decision on Vote Leave should make TM

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Electoral Commission decision on Vote Leave should make TMay’s task on Friday a bit easier

Vote Leave broke electoral law, Electoral Commission expected to say – BBC News https://t.co/OLgnv1GxCb

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,273
    First
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    2nd. Like remain.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    If the final choice boils down to Norway or NO DEAL, could Mrs May carry the withdrawal treaty with opposition votes? It's what Ted Heath did in 1972.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    PeterC said:

If the final choice boils down to Norway or NO DEAL, could Mrs May carry the withdrawal treaty with opposition votes? It's what Ted Heath did in 1972.

Doubtful it'll be Norway with NI/ RoI
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    For Leavers, Brexit is a theology. Mere breaches of the law are not going to stop them seeking to insist on their preferred approach.

The question is whether any of them are prepared to resign and seek to overturn the applecart. My take is that they are not. They might if they had a constructive alternative that they thought would be workable. But they don't.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Cheating bastards!

Lock 'em up!

Re-run the Referendum!

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Doubt this will have much cut through, its not very easy to explain exactly what vote leave has done wrong in a way non experts will easily understand.

Fines seem an utterly insufficient penalty for wrongdoing though when the stakes are so high.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Another sour grapes thread

It would be better for remainers if they actually sat down and worked out why they lost

start with yourselves
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Sorry but it's a big so what from me. Yes of course electoral rules must be followed and enforced but it should only result in fines to individuals and that's that.

As bad/useful as blaming a (Russian) boogeyman for the country voting the way it did.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

For Leavers, Brexit is a theology. Mere breaches of the law are not going to stop them seeking to insist on their preferred approach.

The question is whether any of them are prepared to resign and seek to overturn the applecart. My take is that they are not. They might if they had a constructive alternative that they thought would be workable. But they don't.

It does seem odd that the Electiral Commission rejected a proposal to interview members of the Vote Leave board and staff though*

* this is taking the VL complaint at face value: I have no idea whether there is more to the story than has been reported
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    If both main parties had treated spending limits with any degree of seriousness over the years then either this would not have happened or there would be serious consequences. But they didn't and now no-one will care.

Even if they did, it is hard to see how it makes Theresa May's task any easier but then again I'm still in the dark as to what exactly she is trying to do.
  • Options

It would be better for remainers if they actually sat down and worked out why they lost

start with yourselves

I think we now know. The Leavers cheated.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,065

If both main parties had treated spending limits with any degree of seriousness over the years then either this would not have happened or there would be serious consequences. But they didn't and now no-one will care.

Even if they did, it is hard to see how it makes Theresa May's task any easier but then again I'm still in the dark as to what exactly she is trying to do.

The LibDems also broke electoral law in 2015 and 2016.
  • Options
    Roger said:

start with yourselves

You've just proved Alanbrooke's point.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    TOPPING said:

Sorry but it's a big so what from me. Yes of course electoral rules must be followed and enforced but it should only result in fines to individuals and that's that.

As bad/useful as blaming a (Russian) boogeyman for the country voting the way it did.

For egregious breaches we need prison/bans from political activity for offenders, otherwise the rich will happily flaut the rules.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,940
    edited July 2018

start with yourselves

The man on the street will point to the £9 million or so the government spent on the remain leaflet a week before the purdah period started and say - so what? Never mind that it was technically legal, to most people this massive spend (dwarfing Vote Leave's spend throughout the entire campaign) right before the purdah period looked unfair and an attempt to game the system by circumventing the spirit of the rules while remaining within the letter of them.

Though of course anyone who doesn't think that leaflet riled people up and brought them out for leave is forgetting the impact it had on the campaign at the time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eu-leaflet-row-petition-passes-100k-signatures-amid-tory-in-fighting-over-9m-leaflet-a6974121.html
  • Options
    Roger said:

start with yourselves

As did Remainers. Neither were right to do so - and the case against vote leave seems pretty marginal (this is the third time it’s been looked at)
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,192
    If this was a General Election campaign instead of a referendum, would the crime be big enough to declare the result void and force a new election? I don't think so, in which case it makes no difference at all to the Referendum.

My frustration with all sides is that nobody seems able to move beyond endlessly debating the referendum - should we leave? For remainers they feel cheated by stupid people. For leavers they can't agree what leave actually means and feel cheated by stupid people of the result that everyone voting leave obviously supported (ie their personal interpretation)

Politically we either need to go through with leaving the EU or present a significant new development that prevents it as a reason not to. Whining on about foreign influence and overspend is pointless and pathetic.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,375
    Charles said:

It does seem odd that the Electiral Commission rejected a proposal to interview members of the Vote Leave board and staff though*

* this is taking the VL complaint at face value: I have no idea whether there is more to the story than has been reported
    I think it is to do with this.

The Electoral Commission is preparing to find Vote Leave guilty of breaking election law after getting hold of an email exchange between the main Brexit campaign and a leading donor that it says is proof of wrongdoing.

The watchdog is set to make two allegations, which are rejected by those involved, and could end up in court.

....Second, it will claim that Vote Leave had a “common plan” with other campaign groups to get around the £7 million spending cap set by electoral law. Vote Leave says that there was no co-ordination and it is not illegal to tell donors where else they can give money. The commission cites correspondence between Anthony Clake, a donor, and Dominic Cummings, head of campaigns, which has not been released.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/vote-leave-in-trouble-with-electoral-commission-over-brexit-vote-l0jqfhh7g
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Gove rather slippery on R4, refused to say whether he has read no10 briefing document. Clearly he hasn't. Weird goings on.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

start with yourselves

The man on the street will point to the £9 million or so the government spent on the remain leaflet a week before the purdah period started and say - so what? Never mind that it was technically legal, to most people this massive spend (dwarfing Vote Leave's spend throughout the entire campaign) right before the purdah period looked unfair and an attempt to game the system by circumventing the spirit of the rules while remaining within the letter of them.

Though of course anyone who doesn't think that leaflet riled people up and brought them out for leave is forgetting the impact it had on the campaign at the time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eu-leaflet-row-petition-passes-100k-signatures-amid-tory-in-fighting-over-9m-leaflet-a6974121.html
    Rather more serious was the pack of lies the Treasury so conveniently prepared for Osborne to use as propaganda.
  • Options
    Roger said:

start with yourselves

lol

no Roger you were just crap, I mean you were outwitted by Farage FFS that's how bad you were

in marketing terms you ran a shit campaign selling a shoddy product to an audience you didn't understand

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Charles said:

Roger said:

start with yourselves

As did Remainers. Neither were right to do so - and the case against vote leave seems pretty marginal (this is the third time it’s been looked at)
    Other anomalies, including those on the Remain side, add to the case for a rerun. They don't cancel out.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Firstly Leave won because of regaining sovereignty and reducing immigration and that would probably have been the case even if there had been no official Vote Leave campaign.

Second arguably the better England do at the World Cup the better for hard Brexiteers, after all if Leave voting England can beat the rest of the world on the football pitch then it can also say 'sod you' to being dictated to by Brussels or Remain voting parts of the UK like Scotland and Northern Ireland
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Roger said:

start with yourselves

The reason they have spending limits is to keep an even playing field. An uneven playing field leads to distorted results. Compare the fortunes of 'Head and Shoulders' and 'Selsun Blue'
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,940

start with yourselves

It would be good for Brexiteers if they actually sat down and worked out why Brexit is turning into such an unholy mess.

Start with yourselves. ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Lol a few bitter remainers at the electoral commission can't face the facts that they lost. Remainers = bad losers.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

For egregious breaches we need prison/bans from political activity for offenders, otherwise the rich will happily flaut the rules.
    Anyone involved in the preparation of this:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/524967/hm_treasury_analysis_the_immediate_economic_impact_of_leaving_the_eu_web.pdf

either needs prosecuting or sacking for incompetence.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PeterC said:

No as Corbyn opposes a Norway style relationship with the EU not just Brexiteer Tory backbenchers and Boris, Mogg and Gove and there are not enough votes from the SNP, the LDs, the Greens and Labour rebels like Umunna to pass staying in the single market with full free movement.

• Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

start with yourselves

The reason they have spending limits is to keep an even playing field. An uneven playing field leads to distorted results. Compare the fortunes of 'Head and Shoulders' and 'Selsun Blue'
    So why haven't you had anything to say about the Remain propaganda pumped out at taxpayer expense or the LibDems being fined for breaking the spending limits ?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

start with yourselves

time to read your PIMS again Roger

a campaign takes on the accumulated impact of previous advertising and nobody wanted to sell the EU for the last 40 years
  • Options

start with yourselves

It would be good for Brexiteers if they actually sat down and worked out why Brexit is turning into such an unholy mess.

Because our politicians, Sir Humphreys and 'expert' diplomats are useless ?

If we look at the economy things are going much better than predicted.
  • Options
    LordOfReasonLordOfReason Posts: 457
    OT. Yet again OGH calls it spectacularly wrong with a desperately skewed “remainiac” header to get us all going, like one of the best letters pages in the media. the technicalities of breaking electoral law, England in World Cup dominating news agenda, all playing into Mays hands as she tries to bounce Britain into soft Brexit? Truth is The electoral commission report matters not a jot to every brexiteer and every leave voter who won the referendum. It’s already wrapping their fish and chips.

The bottom line, this moment is between principle and pragmatism. For every brexiteer there is principle at stake here. Football matches, state visits, other froth and nonsense going on in the media coming weeks matter not a jot. If they need to rip a document up and not lend it their support, they have to do that, if they have to resign, they resign, if they have to create the leadership election in order to take control of brexit themselves, they simply get on with it regardless what else is in the news.

This is the moment principle meets pragmatism. And a key part of that principle is May leading everyone on with her own red lines, which she can’t now junk for a soft Brexit.

“So Prime Minister, at what point did you realise your own red lines weren’t worth the crib sheet they were written on?”

If May outs herself as a soft brexiteer it’s actually the perfect moment for those who believe in brexit to take control of brexit, the very moment they have organised and patiently waited for, regardless of the time and terrain May chose the battle.

1966 and all that? Just like what Harold got, for tired and spent May God’s verdict is coming.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Lol a few bitter remainers at the electoral commission can't face the facts that they lost. Remainers = bad losers.

Leavers = incompetent winners. ;)

The Brexiteers remind me of Wiley E Coyote in the one cartoon where he catches Roadrunner. He looks to the camera and holds up a sign asking, "What now?"

Nearly two years on, and they're still asking that question.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

If this was a General Election campaign instead of a referendum, would the crime be big enough to declare the result void and force a new election? I don't think so, in which case it makes no difference at all to the Referendum.

My frustration with all sides is that nobody seems able to move beyond endlessly debating the referendum - should we leave? For remainers they feel cheated by stupid people. For leavers they can't agree what leave actually means and feel cheated by stupid people of the result that everyone voting leave obviously supported (ie their personal interpretation)

Politically we either need to go through with leaving the EU or present a significant new development that prevents it as a reason not to. Whining on about foreign influence and overspend is pointless and pathetic.

Incorrect. General Elections are 650 separate seat elections and the law can overturn the outcome in any of them if spending limits are breached. There is a major case in the pipeline at the moment.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    LOL! The sour grapes from TPTB about the Leave campaign is something else...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

start with yourselves

Other anomalies, including those on the Remain side, add to the case for a rerun. They don't cancel out.
    So you're saying your side cheated and lost so that means you should have another chance to cheat and win ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    So, either of you guys know anything about the illegal activity at the campaign you chaired?

• Options

start with yourselves

you have no idea how Brexit is turning out, nor have I. It is an odd negotiation in that it is being held through PR departments.

personally I suspect the reality is much different than the headlines, the knee jerk reaction to every announcement shows a lack of maturity across the political spectrum.

I wanted a trading relationship which stopped further political integration and I'm getting more confident I'll end up with what I voted for.
  • Options

start with yourselves

you have no idea how Brexit is turning out, nor have I. It is an odd negotiation in that it is being held through PR departments.

personally I suspect the reality is much different than the headlines, the knee jerk reaction to every announcement shows a lack of maturity across the political spectrum.

I wanted a trading relationship which stopped further political integration and I'm getting more confident I'll end up with what I voted for.
    I hope you're right.

If you are those involved have done a very good job at reducing expectations.
  • Options

start with yourselves

LOL. No. The hardcore Brexiteers own Brexit, and they're making an almighty mess of it. Gove, Johnson, Fox, Davis, JRM et al are sadly showing their utter lack of skills and competence.

I want Brexit to be a success; saying otherwise would mean I want the country not to prosper. But if it's a success it won't be down to the hardcore Brexiteers, but the pragmatists on *both* sides.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

She's trying to have cake and eat it brexit followed by soft brexit in order of preference.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    A gobby few Remainers can't get over a sense of entitlement, and that's why the referendum result hurt so much.

If they were seven-year-olds, you would send them to bed early and assume a good sleep would sort them out. But often, being media people with an exaggerated sense of their own importance, they don't even understand how silly they look. For once, they lost. Get over it and move on.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,029
    Jonathan said:

Gove rather slippery on R4, refused to say whether he has read no10 briefing document. Clearly he hasn't. Weird goings on.

Mind you he was absolutely clear that he hadn't read the EC report on illegal spending, a copy of which was provided to Vote Leave bods.

That was convenient.
  • Options

start with yourselves

I hope you're right. But the mood music is terrible.

But if it does succeed, then it won't be down to the hardcore Brexiteers who just continually sh*t over everything in their wish for a 'pure' Brexit.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    The next legal challenge to the Government will be to force the result of the referendum to be negated for breaking the rules under the international laws that it was run. That the result was dodgy due to the amount of er! incorrect information given out by both sides is probably accepted by many, that outside involvement is probable but not effective, but, overspending to the extent that has been publicised is a definite no-no. If the boot was on the other foot, and Remain had broken the law to the same extent and won, then I think we can all imagine the screaming and shouting that would happen.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

start with yourselves

So you're saying your side cheated and lost so that means you should have another chance to cheat and win ?
    If an athlete is stripped of their gold medal for doping, they don't get re-awarded it if it turns out the silver medallist was doping too.

Plus the point of the referendum was to find out what the country wants. The question is whether or not it did that successfully. It's not a competition. I agree that anomolies on the Remain side don't add to the case for a rerun, but they'd don't detract from it either,
  • Options

Mind you he was absolutely clear that he hadn't read the EC report on illegal spending, a copy of which was provided to Vote Leave bods.

That was convenient.

Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1014411045371371521
  • Options

start with yourselves

LOL. No. The hardcore Brexiteers own Brexit, and they're making an almighty mess of it. Gove, Johnson, Fox, Davis, JRM et al are sadly showing their utter lack of skills and competence.

I want Brexit to be a success; saying otherwise would mean I want the country not to prosper. But if it's a success it won't be down to the hardcore Brexiteers, but the pragmatists on *both* sides.
    May, Hammond, Javid and others weren't Brexiteers, hardcore or otherwise. Neither were our Sir Humphreys and 'expert' diplomats.

And which government ministers have shown their skills and competence in anything ?

As to your 'pragmatists' it was their lack of skills and competence which led to Brexit.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Alistair said:

She's trying to have cake and eat it brexit followed by soft brexit in order of preference.
    It looks more like Theresa May is relying on Micawber Brexit -- hoping something will turn up.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Yes I think that's fair. Although where do you draw the line. eg how to deal with R*p*rt M*rd*ch??
  • Options
    CD13 said:

A gobby few Remainers can't get over a sense of entitlement, and that's why the referendum result hurt so much.

If they were seven-year-olds, you would send them to bed early and assume a good sleep would sort them out. But often, being media people with an exaggerated sense of their own importance, they don't even understand how silly they look. For once, they lost. Get over it and move on.

The EU referendum was also the first time a majority of the working class beat a majority of the middle class since Wilson beat Heath in 1974 and many upper middle class Remainers are appalled their obviously 'educated and enlightened' view has been overturned by oiks
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,869
    Can any of this overturn the primary legislation that is the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017?

QTWTAIN. Next thread.
  • Options

OT. Yet again OGH calls it spectacularly wrong with a desperately skewed “remainiac” header to get us all going, like one of the best letters pages in the media. the technicalities of breaking electoral law, England in World Cup dominating news agenda, all playing into Mays hands as she tries to bounce Britain into soft Brexit? Truth is The electoral commission report matters not a jot to every brexiteer and every leave voter who won the referendum. It’s already wrapping their fish and chips.

The bottom line, this moment is between principle and pragmatism. For every brexiteer there is principle at stake here. Football matches, state visits, other froth and nonsense going on in the media coming weeks matter not a jot. If they need to rip a document up and not lend it their support, they have to do that, if they have to resign, they resign, if they have to create the leadership election in order to take control of brexit themselves, they simply get on with it regardless what else is in the news.

This is the moment principle meets pragmatism. And a key part of that principle is May leading everyone on with her own red lines, which she can’t now junk for a soft Brexit.

“So Prime Minister, at what point did you realise your own red lines weren’t worth the crib sheet they were written on?”

If May outs herself as a soft brexiteer it’s actually the perfect moment for those who believe in brexit to take control of brexit, the very moment they have organised and patiently waited for, regardless of the time and terrain May chose the battle.

1966 and all that? Just like what Harold got, for tired and spent May God’s verdict is coming.

Nah. You give it away in your v good post (although I of course disagree with it).

A "soft Brexiteer" is a Brexiteer.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,193
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nah. You give it away in your v good post (although I of course disagree with it).

Good morning Toppo

Any thoughts on Raheem Sterling being the lowest ranked England player for the third game in a row:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44704273
  • Options

Alistair said:

It looks more like Theresa May is relying on Micawber Brexit -- hoping something will turn up.
    but things are turning up

while PBers pick open the scabs of a 2 year old campaign the EU edifice is starting to show signs of stress. Merkel is a wounded chancellor, the EU is heading for a trade war with Trump, Putin is arming up and the EU is showing splits on immigration.

whether this is good or bad for us I have no idea, but the one thing that is constant is events are out there and things change. It would be better if UK politicians could get their heads out of a 2 year old feud and look around and see whats actually happening outside their bubble.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

That was convenient.

Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1014411045371371521
    I am shocked, shocked that there is drinking in this establishment.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Scarily, the whole process has not brought out the better side of our nature.
  • Options
    Relax. All will be well in the long run.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

start with yourselves

I was just pointing out to Roger that he isn’t on the side of the angels

There’s no case for a rerun
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    I don't think it does gnaw away at the legitimacy of the result. The vote to leave the EU was a stupid decision in terms of outcomes, but it was a democratically stupid decision.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

TOPPING said:

Good morning Toppo

Any thoughts on Raheem Sterling being the lowest ranked England player for the third game in a row:

I have, he was shite. Would rather have had Alli playing at 10 and Loftus-Cheek on. That Alli/Kane partnership is worth 20 goals a season for Spurs, for some reason we're not making use of it in Russia. :/
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Anyone involved in the preparation of this:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/524967/hm_treasury_analysis_the_immediate_economic_impact_of_leaving_the_eu_web.pdf

either needs prosecuting or sacking for incompetence.
    All Out War makes the point that during focus groups, Vote Leave found that remain's best slogan would have been "a leap in the dark" as a counter to "take back control."

The problem, of course, is that if you make your slogan "a leap in the dark", you wouldn't be able to make these sorts of predictions.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Jessop,

I know you're stirring (as am I), but you must also realise that HM Government own Brexit. The incompetence came primarily for Cameron D, who must have prevented the civil service from making plans and presenting options to HMG, whatever the referendum result.

I suspect he feared leaks from the CS which might have added credibility to the Brexit options. So he thought … "I want what I want. If the country don't back me, I'll f*ck off anyway. And I'll spend 9 million quid on a propaganda leaflet if I want to, so there."

So what was Farage's plan for Brexit if the country voted No, some loons ask. In their addled minds, they imagined that as a result of the referendum result, Nigel could order the civil service to obey him and they would do. I fear these people are still out there without their strait-jackets, and still cheer-leading for Remain.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Did Remain declare the value of asking POTUS to say we would be at the 'back of the queue' if we left?

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304

Incorrect. General Elections are 650 separate seat elections and the law can overturn the outcome in any of them if spending limits are breached. There is a major case in the pipeline at the moment.
    That’s never going to happen.

Even you know this at heart.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

start with yourselves

:smiley:

Have you looked at the spending on each side?
  • Options
    O/T - the Government’s proposals for the fisheries white paper look interesting: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-publish-plan-for-an-independent-fisheries-policy

So far, I’d say our agricultural and fisheries policies will definitely be better outside the EU.

Small wins to some, perhaps, but meaningful and important ones nonetheless.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

TOPPING said:

Good morning Toppo

Polls, eh?

skysports.com/football/news/12016/11425333/england-player-ratings-sue-smith-rates-players-after-world-cup-win-over-colombia?utm_source=Direct

Edit:
    "Marcus Rashford - N/A
    I don't remember him having a touch during the game! He came on and showed the same bravery as the other four to take a penalty, and he took it well."
  • Options
    On topic, I haven’t explored the detailed substance of the allegations yet but Vote Leave didn’t win due to a few hundred k in the last few weeks, or Russian bots.

But, for what it’s worth, I agree: it probably helps Theresa May just a little bit because it does snitch away a bit of the moral high ground.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Did Remain declare the value of asking POTUS to say we would be at the 'back of the queue' if we left?

As a write off you mean?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Sandpit said:

Can any of this overturn the primary legislation that is the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017?

QTWTAIN. Next thread.

Indeed. The problem which the Remainers have, is that if they argue that the referendum was 'advisory', then any and all wrong-doing would mean diddly-squat given the post legislation.

You can't have your cake, and eat it
  • Options
    Brexit is akin to a massive national transformation programme, with a wide portfolio of projects to move from the inception to implementation to operational phase.

Phased implementation over 7-12 years is a typical timescale for successful change programmes of that sort.
  • Options
    Probably in the semi-finals.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Jessop,

I know you're stirring (as am I), but you must also realise that HM Government own Brexit. The incompetence came primarily for Cameron D, who must have prevented the civil service from making plans and presenting options to HMG, whatever the referendum result.

I suspect he feared leaks from the CS which might have added credibility to the Brexit options. So he thought … "I want what I want. If the country don't back me, I'll f*ck off anyway. And I'll spend 9 million quid on a propaganda leaflet if I want to, so there."

So what was Farage's plan for Brexit if the country voted No, some loons ask. In their addled minds, they imagined that as a result of the referendum result, Nigel could order the civil service to obey him and they would do. I fear these people are still out there without their strait-jackets, and still cheer-leading for Remain.

I think you're totally wrong on this. In fact, you need to think through what you've written, and how his opponents would have reacted if he had done as you wanted.

The problem comes from the fact that 'leave' means different things to different leavers; as we see all too often on here. If Cameron had made plans for Brexit winning, then Leavers would have demanded to see it. One side would have cried betrayal, and the other would have grumped and moaned. either way, it would have provided them with fuel for their fire.

What you're saying is that Cameron should have done exactly what leavers wanted him to do to help them win.

Odd, that. :)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,193
    Seems there was scepticism in big business about the government building a new customs system:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1014418529100189696

IDS's UC being the current primary example. Rather ironic.
  • Options

That was to be paid by British money and lives in some future US military intervention.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

O/T - the Government’s proposals for the fisheries white paper look interesting: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-publish-plan-for-an-independent-fisheries-policy

So far, I’d say our agricultural and fisheries policies will definitely be better outside the EU.

Is the idea of a reserve of quota incompatible with the CFP? We control the allocation of it now.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2017/05/02/fishing-quotas-in-europe-who-gets-the-right-to-fish/
  • Options

Sandpit said:

QTWTAIN. Next thread.

Indeed. The problem which the Remainers have, is that if they argue that the referendum was 'advisory', then any and all wrong-doing would mean diddly-squat given the post legislation.

You can't have your cake, and eat it

GMiller, the Leavers' heroine.

• Options

As a write off you mean?
    :smile:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning Toppo

I have, he was shite. Would rather have had Alli playing at 10 and Loftus-Cheek on. That Alli/Kane partnership is worth 20 goals a season for Spurs, for some reason we're not making use of it in Russia. :/
    Its time for Southgate to do what Sir Alf did in 1966 and change his forward partnership.
  • Options

start with yourselves

May, Hammond, Javid and others weren't Brexiteers, hardcore or otherwise. Neither were our Sir Humphreys and 'expert' diplomats.

And which government ministers have shown their skills and competence in anything ?

As to your 'pragmatists' it was their lack of skills and competence which led to Brexit.
    "May, Hammond, Javid and others weren't Brexiteers,"

Yes. They saw the result of the vote and are trying to deliver it. They are pragmatists. Their job is being made harder by the likes of JRM and the apparent incompetence of Davis, Fox et al, many of whom have an ideological sickness.
  • Options
    back in euroland Merkels ceasefire with the CSU is now setting off the SPD who don't agree with what she has agreed

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article178713714/Fluechtlingspolitik-CSU-sieht-Transitzentren-nicht-als-Gefaengnisse.html
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I don't think it does gnaw away at the legitimacy of the result. The vote to leave the EU was a stupid decision in terms of outcomes, but it was a democratically stupid decision.

Democracy is not harmed by breaking the rules for plebiscites?

Sorry, not buying it (unlike the Russians :wink: )
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Cue No. 10 bowing to the inevitable.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    This is all rather pointless, and will have no effect.
  • Options
    At this point it would be easier to list the SCon councillors who haven't been involved in a Twitter bigotry/racism/misogyny scandal.
  • Options
    A question: if it were not for the hardline Brexiteers and the ERG within the Conservative Party, how much nearer would we be to a final deal with the EU?

(regardless of whether you'd like the sort of deal you may get from that.)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,869

Brexit is akin to a massive national transformation programme, with a wide portfolio of projects to move from the inception to implementation to operational phase.

Phased implementation over 7-12 years is a typical timescale for successful change programmes of that sort.
    And most importantly needs *everyone* to be behind it, not still arguing about whether or not it’s a good idea two years after the decision was made.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Is the idea of a reserve of quota incompatible with the CFP? We control the allocation of it now.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2017/05/02/fishing-quotas-in-europe-who-gets-the-right-to-fish/

We have limited flexibility in allocating quotas at a national level. And don’t forget that fisheries was one of the areas where the industry overwhelmingly responded to the HMG EU competences review in 2014 - when it was coalition policy to Remain - saying the CFP wasn’t working for them and had been detrimental to the UK fishing industry.

The consultation period will be interesting, as will the eventual Bill that emerges.
  • Options

This is all rather pointless, and will have no effect.

Depends what effect you are looking for.

Will it negate the result? No.

Will it boost Chuka's anti-Brexit credentials in the inevitable autopsy of failure that Brexit will deliver? Maybe
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

start with yourselves

time to read your PIMS again Roger

a campaign takes on the accumulated impact of previous advertising and nobody wanted to sell the EU for the last 40 years
    I'm pleased you took note. However in a vote as close as this it's impossible to ignore the impetus of a large spend over a very short time known in the business as "A PROMOTION"and the effect it can have on a few people who can't resist a bargain/

Think of it as a DFS sale over an Easter bank holiday but where truth and honesty isn't a requirement and you can throw as much money at it as you like. "Free Sofas! Nothing to pay till 2035!! AND ......£1000 back on your old one in any condition!!! Offer end 24th JUNE!!!!!!

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

A question: if it were not for the hardline Brexiteers and the ERG within the Conservative Party, how much nearer would we be to a final deal with the EU?

Erm, without the Brexiteers (and notably Steve Baker) of the ERG we wouldn't have had Brexit. A read of All Out War shows that.
  • Options

We’d be nearer and I think it’d be to be inside the EEA and customs union in exchange for payments into the EU budget and ECJ oversight.
  • Options

start with yourselves

"May, Hammond, Javid and others weren't Brexiteers,"

Yes. They saw the result of the vote and are trying to deliver it. They are pragmatists. Their job is being made harder by the likes of JRM and the apparent incompetence of Davis, Fox et al, many of whom have an ideological sickness.
    Likewise many Remainers have ideological sickness.

Though I doubt May and her team know what they want to deliver let alone how to deliver it.
This discussion has been closed.