Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If some of the threats we are hearing are carried out then the

Comments

• Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    It would be a complete abrogation of the manifesto. It would be similar to Labour's lies on the Lisbon Treaty referendum.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    rpjs said:

Mortimer said:
    But with a customs border along the Irish Sea, which would be anathema to the DUP.
    Nope, we don't need a customs border. (it is our only land border)

If the EU want to put one up, they can....
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So if The Government collapses over the weekend, gets No Confidenced Tuesday, Corbyn gets to attempt a minority government and goes to the Palace on Wednesday, then he would be the PM greeting Trump on Thursday.

Almost worth doing for the LOL's!

Then Corbyn would have to deal with Brexit and his just as divided party.

Plus Trump has shown himself ready to deal with Lopez Obrador so no reason he could not deal with Corbyn too
    Yes, but the prospect of Jezza giving Trump a lesson in Jam making is too good to miss.
    Trump might get on better with Corbyn than May. Arguably she is more a polar opposite than he.
    I'd love it if we got a tweet from Donald along the lines of 'Just met with UK Labor leader Jeremy Corbyn. Great guy. Agree on so much about international/economic affairs. Looking forward to doing business with'.
    Presumably Putin would order both Trump and Corbyn to work together.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited July 2018
    brendan16 said:

Objecting to freedom of expression? It's political correctness gone mad I tells ye.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1014933261817171969

There is freedom of expression - and there is just childishness. Surprising City Hall allowed it.

Surely there are more grown up ways to protest against Trump?L
    Pretty sure that freedom of expression should be a principle without qualification.

Of course 'the biggest insult to a sitting US President ever' is hyperbolic bollox; I'm only disappointed it isn't.

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:
    But with a customs border along the Irish Sea, which would be anathema to the DUP.

Canada without agreement on the NI border is not one of the options the EU is willing to consider. At some point you have to accept the reality that the only option that does not require agreement with the EU is no deal, and that is not going to be economically possible, which means it won't be politically possible either.
  • Options
    Probably she said to him, you can keep your non-job and not have to actually do anything, just like you've not been doing for the last two years.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

Canada without agreement on the NI border is not one of the options the EU is willing to consider. At some point you have to accept the reality that the only option that does not require agreement with the EU is no deal, and that is not going to be economically possible, which means it won't be politically possible either.
    But Brexiters believe that the EU will have no choice but to give us a gilded FTA because the BMW will tell them to.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Brexit Ministers meeting reportedly saying we think there is a deal to be done

Like everyone else no doubt, no idea what is happening but we should know by kick off Saturday
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    I guess we can see which members of the commentariat report on 'sources' they have and what is going on, and so see which ones are most full of crap about those sources?
  • Options

Like everyone else no doubt, no idea what is happening but we should know by kick off Saturday

It's all going to be a bit pointless though if it turns out to be yet another fantasy cake-and-eat-it "bespoke deal" which the EU has already ruled out.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

And a customs border dividing our own nation is neither politically nor economically possible.

For a start, it would screw Irish exports.

The 'no border or it'll be a hard border' bluff needs to be exposed.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

And a customs border dividing our own nation is neither politically nor economically possible.

So it'll be EEA+ then. TINA as used to be said.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    I suspect tomorrow's 'crunch meeting' will follow a familiar pattern:

Government loyalists will proclaim it a 'Falklands Moment'.
    Cabinet Leavers will mumble their supposed satisfaction.
    Rees-Mogg will be 'keeping his powder dry'.
    After a few days Boris will recommence his sniping, and the whole cycle will begin again.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,581
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

O/T, and especially for the attention of @rcs1000

I've been experiencing very weird behaviour re comments variously showing with a large delay (up to 90 minutes), and no persisting of login on an iphone 8, chrome or safari.

I've seen others make similar comments. Anyone know any solution?

I've had the same thing. Log back in and the up to date comment re-appear as if by magic.
    I tried this from the main site - logins (and comments) just don't seem to persist via chrome/safari on the latest ios, though they used to.

Guess I'll have to switch to the vanilla site on the mobile!

I've had similar problems from time to time. Completely closing the browser (Safari in my case) and re-opening seemed to work last time - not sure if that was just a coincidence though.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

Not compatible with immigration controls.

• Options
    rpjs said:

It's all going to be a bit pointless though if it turns out to be yet another fantasy cake-and-eat-it "bespoke deal" which the EU has already ruled out.
    Not sure the EU can just dismiss it if it is the collective will of the cabinet and is in a white paper. The big if is 'the collective view of the cabinet'
  • Options

rpjs said:

Not sure the EU can just dismiss it if it is the collective will of the cabinet and is in a white paper. The big if is 'the collective view of the cabinet'
    They can, and I think they will.

Because they're overplaying a strong hand.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

O/T, and especially for the attention of @rcs1000

I've been experiencing very weird behaviour re comments variously showing with a large delay (up to 90 minutes), and no persisting of login on an iphone 8, chrome or safari.

I've seen others make similar comments. Anyone know any solution?

I've had the same thing. Log back in and the up to date comment re-appear as if by magic.
    I tried this from the main site - logins (and comments) just don't seem to persist via chrome/safari on the latest ios, though they used to.

Guess I'll have to switch to the vanilla site on the mobile!

I've had similar problems from time to time. Completely closing the browser (Safari in my case) and re-opening seemed to work last time - not sure if that was just a coincidence though.
    Thanks for the idea. Didn't try that.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    rpjs said:

Probably she said to him, you can keep your non-job and not have to actually do anything, just like you've not been doing for the last two years.
    Its probably better if Liam Fox does nothing than Liam Fox does something.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

rpjs said:

"The collective view of what is left of the cabinet."
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    rpjs said:

I guess May's hope is to try and get a semblance of cabinet unity on something that can, in the dark with the light behind it, be seen as a "plan". Then she and Davis will try and sell it direct to other EU heads of government in the hope they will pressure Barnier. A tactic which has so far achieved precisely nothing and it seems very unlikely to work now when there are less than 9 months to go.
  • Options

After a few days Boris will recommence his sniping, and the whole cycle will begin again.
    But it will be in a white paper and everyone can pile in - on both sides of the argument.

Wake me up next April
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

rpjs said:

Why would they care about that?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

I saw a poll today that indicated most people did not mind immigration but not sure where
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
  • Options

But it will be in a white paper and everyone can pile in - on both sides of the argument.

Wake me up next April
    Means you'll miss the rest of the World Cup!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

In December the EU effectively agreed to move to a Canada style FTA with enough regulatory alignment by the UK to avoid a hard border in Ireland
  • Options
    Today's Tesco Strawberry score is once again an eight:

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Perthshire
    Lancashire
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Surrey
    Kent

Only notable new thing were some cauliflowers which were prominently labelled as 'Cornish Cauliflowers'.

Now I've heard of Cornish pasties, sardines and cream ties but not Cornish cauliflowers - are they some sort of delicacy I've been unaware of ?

Still no sign or the predicted lettuce shortage.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

Wake me up next April
    Wake me up when September ends
  • Options

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Perthshire
    Lancashire
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Surrey
    Kent

Only notable new thing were some cauliflowers which were prominently labelled as 'Cornish Cauliflowers'.

Now I've heard of Cornish pasties, sardines and cream ties but not Cornish cauliflowers - are they some sort of delicacy I've been unaware of ?

zzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

I saw a poll today that indicated most people did not mind immigration but not sure where
    No poll I have ever seen shows people 'do not mind uncontrolled immigration, especially uncontrolled low skilled immigration'
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    GIN1138 said:
    The Trade Body In The Library.
  • Options

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Perthshire
    Lancashire
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Surrey
    Kent

Just had some beautiful Hants strawberries.

The laybys of rural Dorset are also rammed with stalls selling them.

I think we can safely say that this bumper soft fruit harvest is not rotting in the fields. Another remainer myth....
  • Options
    So tomorrow the cabinet will sit in Chequers watching the tennis and the two quarter-finals and necking a few cold ones.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

There are voices in the EU pushing back on Barnier including Austria which holds the Presidency and now German Ministers. Also EU businesses are pleading not only with the UK but also the EU. Pressure is growing on both sides
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

O/T Macron's ratings collapse suggests that one term is as good as it gets, for a French President.

What are Macron's ratings ?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    And miss Brazil v Belgium - it will conclude before 7.00pm tomorrow night
  • Options
    Especially for Grayling:

Murderous overcrowding on the Trans-Pennine Express.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

So tomorrow the cabinet will sit in Chequers watching the tennis and the two quarter-finals and necking a few cold ones.

Part of me does want this all to be showmanship :)

Either way, if May makes it through this, the country might be better off for having a range of voices at the table.
  • Options
    Original title “10 Little Brexiteers”.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

O/T Macron's ratings collapse suggests that one term is as good as it gets, for a French President.

About 35/65.
  • Options
    The fuss over security is odd. That is plainly a field where no deal hurts the rest of the EU more than it hurts us.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2018
    Serious question...macron was elected on a blair-esque reform platform. Other than banning phones in schools and some very minor labour reforms, what is else has he been up to?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

About 35/65.
    After a pretty easy year in office.

Sooner or later there will be some crisis he has to deal with, which might make him or break him.
  • Options

Wake me up next April
    Forgot about that - and of course I couldn't contribute my musings to PB

Sure we all want Brexit to be concluded asap
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The fuss over security is odd. That is plainly a field where no deal hurts the rest of the EU more than it hurts us.
    It just demonstrates that the whole process is being run by a bunch of swivel eyed zealots in Brussels. Time for the 27 nation states to take back control.
  • Options

Wake me up next April

Indeed, but not as much as I want England to win the WC! :smile:
  • Options

Wake me up next April

Let me introduce you to @williamglenn.....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    American Supreme Court Betting News

https://www.twitter.com/costareports/status/1014972330429308928

Imagine, the man who killed the key provision of the Voting Rights Act is considered not Conservator enough.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

rpjs said:

Mortimer said:

No poll I have ever seen shows people 'do not mind uncontrolled immigration, especially uncontrolled low skilled immigration'
    It was a discussion group of 50 who did not see immigration as a problem but cannot remember the source. Age catching me up together with two strained hamstrings and lots of knee pain
  • Options
    @SouthamObserver - just caught up on the earlier thread, huge congrats!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,115

rpjs said:

Its probably better if Liam Fox does nothing than Liam Fox does something.
    Liam can't Fox it up if he does nothing?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I see Carswell works for a shitty internet ads agency and spends his time whining about GDPR making it hard to sell people's data unsuspectingly.
  • Options

Serious question...macron was elected on a blair-esque reform platform. Other than banning phones in schools and some very minor labour reforms, what is else has he been up to?

Sorting out the Railway workers and unions
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    A couple of years ago May made this very point, as part of a comment as to why she wanted a deal with the EU, and in what even by his standards was hysterical and unhinged blustering Barnier accused her of threatening the EU (which given his subsequent behaviour has almost entirely consisted of bullying, threats and reneging on previous agreeements, would be funny if the consequences were not so serious).

I wonder what he will say in response to this?
  • Options

Good article on the internal contradictions of Macronism in the latest LRB.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

About 35/65.
    After a pretty easy year in office.

Sooner or later there will be some crisis he has to deal with, which might make him or break him.
    Seeing him begging Nigeria to open reception centres in their own Country with the Nigerian President looking non plussed and not interested was hugely embarrassing
  • Options

So far his efforts have been unsuccessful.

However, the comparison with Blair fails as he hasn't backed down at the first hint of opposition and sacked the ministers concerned for following his instructions.
  • Options

Wake me up next April

Well that would be just fantastic but one match at a time maybe
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

A couple of years ago May made this very point, as part of a comment as to why she wanted a deal with the EU, and in what even by his standards was hysterical and unhinged blustering Barnier accused her of threatening the EU (which given his subsequent behaviour has almost entirely consisted of bullying, threats and reneging on previous agreeements, would be funny if the consequences were not so serious).

There's no point wasting time trying to persuade Barnier that security co-operation would be a good thing all round. Take it off the table.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited July 2018
    Tom Tugendhat has just put the boot into the Russians on Radio 4. I don't think I've ever heard a British politician being so blunt about the Russians before.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

There's no point wasting time trying to persuade Barnier that security co-operation would be a good thing all round. Take it off the table.
    Barnier needs taking off the table
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

For France those labour reforms are virtually Thatcheresque and quite significant. He's been in some very serious industrial relations disputes too so not such an 'easy' year.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    The Times confirms what we've known for a while.

Services won't be part of the deal, not to worry services only accounts for 80% of the economy.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Services won't be part of the deal, not to worry services only accounts for 80% of the economy.

Carney has spelled out why we should never be rule takers in services. I completely agree with him.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

Carney has spelled out why we should never be rule takers in services. I completely agree with him.
    Mutual recognition could be a deal though. Given we have such a mammoth trade deficit on goods we should walk away completely if that can't be agreed.
  • Options

Wake me up next April

Quite right. I reckon we have a 50/50 chance of getting past Sweden. We'll have exceeded expectations if we do that.

Whatever the outcome I am looking forward to the final stages - should be some good matches.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Non.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,578
    Sean_F said:

It’s all about “the integrity of the institutions” - very theological....
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

So the government proposes no change to trade in goods, in which the UK has a huge deficit with the EU, and to accept barriers to trade in services, in which the UK has a surplus.

Brilliant.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    No-one in the country cares anymore about Brexit, the focus is on the football. I called this on Tuesday night, after the game. May should use the distraction to perform a business friendly EEA style fudge. Open door.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    glw said:

Tom Tugendhat has just put the boot into the Russians on Radio 4. I don't think I've ever heard a British politician being so blunt about the Russians before.

These Tories are just like Hitler, the way they're attacking Russia.
  • Options

Wake me up next April

Quite right. I reckon we have a 50/50 chance of getting past Sweden. We'll have exceeded expectations if we do that.

Whatever the outcome I am looking forward to the final stages - should be some good matches.
    I think we have a good chance of making the semis then anything could happen, fingers crossed

This has been the best World Cup for decades and the final stages will be exciting and unpredictable
  • Options
    Anazina said:

No-one in the country cares anymore about Brexit, the focus is on the football. I called this on Tuesday night, after the game. May should use the distraction to perform a business friendly EEA style fudge. Open door.

A good weekend to bury bad news.

Goodnight all.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Perthshire
    Lancashire
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Surrey
    Kent

zzzzzzzzz
    This attempt to create a strawberry meme is utterly tiresome.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

glw said:

Tugendhat called them virtually everything else bar "literally Hitler".
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

FPT 'Ending free movement means no more pensioners retiring to Spain' - not so - the process will change, but other non-EU nationals (such as Americans or Australians) already retire there:

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/guide-to-retiring-in-spain

What will end is the right to retire there. That's quite a big deal.

That's tragic.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Perthshire
    Lancashire
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Surrey
    Kent

zzzzzzzzz
    This attempt to create a strawberry meme is utterly tiresome.
    During Wimbledon? Have you no national pride? Why not spit at the Queen?
  • Options

felix said:

FPT 'Ending free movement means no more pensioners retiring to Spain' - not so - the process will change, but other non-EU nationals (such as Americans or Australians) already retire there:

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/guide-to-retiring-in-spain

What will end is the right to retire there. That's quite a big deal.

Nope - the new government in Spain is changing the position on healthcare for all foreign nationals.

https://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/spainnews/18364/government-to-make-healthcare-free-and-universal-again-within-six-weeks.aspx

Apparently they have said they hope the UK government will still pay for pensioners as they do now.

Also the new measure has got all party support.

The new Spanish government - a huge improvement on the previous one - is, unfortunately, not guaranteed to be in power forever. Right now, that does not matter. Once we leave the EU it will.

In the short term, it makes Brexit slightly easier over Gibraltar.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nunuone said:

Speaking to a city fund manager today who had just returned from a recce trip to Brussels. He was surprised to find that there was a high level of preparedness for no deal - thick manuals for various industrial sectors apparently. He was told that the EU thinks it's far too late to begin talking about a bespoke deal even in the unlikely event of the UK government being able to agree on what it wants to put in such a deal. So it was either no deal, a Canada type FTA with an Irish Sea customs border or full participation in the single market. No other options are practical.

single market was voted down with a massive majority in Parliament.
    The problem is that we all know what the vote was against, no one knows what it was for.

I compared it to Suez, but Suez was at least well planned on the military side, just incompetently on the political side.
    that's because the establishment couldn't think of anything positive FOR the EU

all Brexit tells us is the numpties who run the country should have less jurisdiction in our every day lives since they cant organise a piss up in a urinal

I quite agree. The EU has a much better functioning government, but Westminster has now taken back control, with Henry VIII powers in addition.

Hang on to your seats, its going to be a bumpy ride.
    I fear it is. The city contact I mentioned earlier was visibly nervous when talking about the EU's preparations for no deal. The financial community has been unanimously of the view that a no deal outcome was so damaging and stupid that it could not possibly happen. No sane government could possibly contemplate it. But we don't have a sane government, or indeed any government, we have some people in various offices of state but they cannot be said to be governing. If no deal looks like becoming a reality there will be panic in the city and it will not be pretty.
    Perhaps neither side wants a deal.
    The EU Commission wants to bring the UK to heel. My sense is that Merkel is still propping up the likes of Barnier and Selmayr, despite growing concerns from German business and Austria & Hungary breaking ranks, because it's personal to her too.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

glw said:

Are you saying we won't get as far as Moscow? Of ye of little faith in Harry Kane....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

There are those in the EU that believe that if they hard enough on the UK, the current administration will fall and another much more favourable to it will take its place, as UK public opinion turns to them. They can then impose a harder Remain settlement for the UK, where they will feel they've made their point.

It's one heck of a gamble.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Anazina said:

That will last until England go out which might be literally just hours away! :D
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
  • Options

glw said:

Are you saying we won't get as far as Moscow? Of ye of little faith in Harry Kane....
    Back of the net! Wish I could say I'd deliberately set that up :)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,543

So the government proposes no change to trade in goods, in which the UK has a huge deficit with the EU, and to accept barriers to trade in services, in which the UK has a surplus.

Brilliant.
    Yes, it is a good deal. We retain free access to the excellent European foods and goods, and regulations to keep out US agribusiness.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nunuone said:

Speaking to a city fund manager today who had just returned from a recce trip to Brussels. He was surprised to find that there was a high level of preparedness for no deal - thick manuals for various industrial sectors apparently. He was told that the EU thinks it's far too late to begin talking about a bespoke deal even in the unlikely event of the UK government being able to agree on what it wants to put in such a deal. So it was either no deal, a Canada type FTA with an Irish Sea customs border or full participation in the single market. No other options are practical.

single market was voted down with a massive majority in Parliament.
    The problem is that we all know what the vote was against, no one knows what it was for.

I compared it to Suez, but Suez was at least well planned on the military side, just incompetently on the political side.
    that's because the establishment couldn't think of anything positive FOR the EU

all Brexit tells us is the numpties who run the country should have less jurisdiction in our every day lives since they cant organise a piss up in a urinal

I quite agree. The EU has a much better functioning government, but Westminster has now taken back control, with Henry VIII powers in addition.

Hang on to your seats, its going to be a bumpy ride.
    I fear it is. The city contact I mentioned earlier was visibly nervous when talking about the EU's preparations for no deal. The financial community has been unanimously of the view that a no deal outcome was so damaging and stupid that it could not possibly happen. No sane government could possibly contemplate it. But we don't have a sane government, or indeed any government, we have some people in various offices of state but they cannot be said to be governing. If no deal looks like becoming a reality there will be panic in the city and it will not be pretty.
    Perhaps neither side wants a deal.
    The EU Commission wants to bring the UK to heel. My sense is that Merkel is still propping up the likes of Barnier and Selmayr, despite growing concerns from German business and Austria & Hungary breaking ranks, because it's personal to her too.
    What’s your “sense” about Macron or Varadkar?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

You think no-one's going to notice that because of the footy?
This discussion has been closed.