Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Electoral Calculus now giving LAB a 79 percent chance of a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited September 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Electoral Calculus now giving LAB a 79 percent chance of a majority with CON a 4 percent one

In seat terms Electoral Calculus is projecting a LAB majority of 80 which is seven up on a month ago. The seat breakdown is CON 231 (-76): LAB 365 (+107): LD 23 (-34): SNP/PC 12 (+3): UKIP 0 (=)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    A distinction would be that the Betfair probabilities are based on an election in 2015, whiles Baxter's are based on an election tomorrow.
  • Options
    RobD said:

A distinction would be that the Betfair probabilities are based on an election in 2015, whiles Baxter's are based on an election tomorrow.

Exactly. Comparing Baxter with Betfair is like comparing apples and oranges: they are doing quite different things.

I have generally been a fan of Baxter over the years. Eg. he had a surprisingly good UK GE 2010. Baxter's strength is his blinkered focus on mathematics, doing his best to ignore politics. That in itself is a valuable contribution to the fields of electoral prediction and odds betting. Being too focussed on politics per se actually makes most people atrocious at both electoral prediction and at betting. Which is of course why bookies love political punters, because most of them are total mugs (witness the 4/6 Shadsy is offering on Danny Alexander holding his Inverness seat: oh, how he must chuckle).

By the way, for all you folks out there who profess to hate Scottish sub-samples (except, oddly, when they occasionally show the Tories doing well), please take note that Baxter has started to use them.

• Options
    Those Betfair numbers feel a bit wonky. If Con maj is really 2/3 as likely as Lab maj, NOM should be more than 40%. I think the problem is that the markets are being irrationally kind to Con maj, but if they're not then they're being too mean to NOM.
  • Options

Those Betfair numbers feel a bit wonky. If Con maj is really 2/3 as likely as Lab maj, NOM should be more than 40%. I think the problem is that the markets are being irrationally kind to Con maj, but if they're not then they're being too mean to NOM.

As I said below: punters are mugs. Which is of course what pays the wages and pension funds of betting company employees.

The markets are not "being irrationally kind to Con maj". Rather, certain Tory punters are being irrationally optimistic.
  • Options
    BTW, did I miss tim's return, or is he enjoying a small break from PB?
  • Options
    In Scottish seat terms the Electoral Calculus seat breakdown for September is:

Lab 42 (+1)
    SNP 10 (+4)
    Con 4 (+3)
    LD 3 (-8)

This neatly illustrates one of the key problems for the Scottish Liberal Democrats: with no money, decimated ground troops and councillor numbers slashed they are fighting on three very different fronts (four if you include the Greens, who have also been taking significant chunks of the SLD vote).

The Lib Dem losses would be:
    - East Dunbartonshire, to Labour
    - Argyll & Bute, to the SNP
    - Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross, to the SNP
    - Gordon, to the SNP
    - Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch & Strathspey, to the SNP
    - Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk, to the Tories
    - Edinburgh West, to the Tories
    - West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine, to the Tories

The impending SLD massacre could be so profound that Baxter has them not just being beaten in certain seats, but actually slipping into 3rd or even 4th place (in Argyll & Bute and in Edinburgh West).
  • Options

Lab 42 (+1)
    SNP 10 (+4)
    Con 4 (+3)
    LD 3 (-8)

A tripling of seats, Tory surge nailed on. ;-)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

BTW, did I miss tim's return, or is he enjoying a small break from PB?

I'd have put that as "we are enjoying tim's small break from PB". YMMV.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all, just as well there isn't a vote for "None of the Above". The "None of the Above" party would be 100% nailed on to win the GE and the bookies would lose a fortune.

As polls are swinging back and forth faster than my dining room clock pendulum at present, only someone either with too much money to burn or Teflon nerves would bet on the outcome of GE2015. Maybe by this time next year once the IndyRef and Euro elections have taken place, we might begin to have a clear idea what may happen at the GE in 2015.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited September 2013
    OT
    I was intrigued by this article from BBC online, that young ethnics living in England shun the word English for themselves and prefer to be known as British. There is also a regional variation which struck me more: the fact that populations living in the Eastern side of England have a much greater preponderance to call themselves English.

Now the Eastern side of England also shows greater support for UKIP. Could these facts throw the Electoral Calculus right out of the window - where it belongs - because there is not going to be a universal swing in the 2015 GE.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24302914
  • Options
    Apols if posted before - but Ipsos Mori researched Thatcher's "no such thing as society" and found that while people rejected the sound bite, they agreed with the full statement:

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3277/No-such-thing-as-society.aspx

"Ipsos MORI tested two versions of Margaret Thatcher’s famous “no such thing as society” interview, each with representative samples of the population – one with just that simple statement, and one with a much longer excerpt from the interview. And there is a dramatic difference in results: 74% disagree with the bald statement, but 63% agreed with the longer excerpt (only 24% disagreed with the longer statement). "
  • Options

Apols if posted before - but Ipsos Mori researched Thatcher's "no such thing as society" and found that while people rejected the sound bite, they agreed with the full statement:

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3277/No-such-thing-as-society.aspx

"Ipsos MORI tested two versions of Margaret Thatcher’s famous “no such thing as society” interview, each with representative samples of the population – one with just that simple statement, and one with a much longer excerpt from the interview. And there is a dramatic difference in results: 74% disagree with the bald statement, but 63% agreed with the longer excerpt (only 24% disagreed with the longer statement). "

For the 24% that disagreed with the longer statment, I wonder what their definition of society is?
  • Options

For the 24% that disagreed with the longer statment, I wonder what their definition of society is?
    Small base size - but it was Labour voters who rejected the longer statement - unlike the other parties'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    Redward probably will be PM. If the economy is recovering but this is not translating into positive effects for people and living standards remain stuck then Dave is not going to get that much credit - no matter how the bond market inproves.

The collapse of public finances under PM Redward and a gilt market meltdown will see living standards set back a generation - and line up Boris for a 2020 adminsitration to reset the public / private sector debate.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,253
    The Electoral Calculus method of analysing results will only start to become useful in 2015 as the election approaches. At present it doesn't really tell us anything additional to the current polls.

Even then, for reasons discussed in various threads it probably over states the carnage for the Lib Dems although I agree with Stuart that they are in a very bad place in Scotland.

• Options
    MikeK said:
    "The Bow Group called for an electoral pact with Nigel Farage’s party to stop members abandoning the Tories because they disagree with David Cameron’s policies on gay marriage and the European Union."

"WHY A TORY/UKIP ALLIANCE WOULD BENEFIT LABOUR"

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/09/27/why-toryukip-alliance-would-benefit-labour/
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Interesting analysis from deeper within the Electoral Calculus site:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/Analysis_Frontiers.html

"In every election since 1983, the Labour party has lost ground over the two years before the election. Generally, the Conservatives have gained ground over the same periods, but this has not been true at the two most recent elections. Some of these elections may have lessons for today, in terms of judging whether the Conservatives will recover their lost ground or whether Labour will cement their lead."

In my mind it is inconceivable that the Conservatives won't pick up up some support between now and the election - the question is how much Labour will retain. I'm sure Clegg will be hoping that the 2015 campaign will be good for the Lib Dems because at the moment most people have written them off but may take a fresh look at election time.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    What a contrast to what the NUT and NASUWT leadership have been saying

"Teachers are split over performance-related pay, with most backing the principle behind it but a third saying that they would avoid working in schools that implemented it, according to a survey. The 1,002 teachers who were questioned by YouGov for the think-tank Policy Exchange were asked if they would work in a school where pay was more explicitly linked to performance.

The idea that the quality of their teaching should be a key determinant of pay and progression was supported by 89 per cent, and 66 per cent thought that progress made by their students should determine salary and seniority.Thirty-three per cent said they would be “less likely to”; 22 per cent said “more likely”; but 45 per cent said it would make no difference. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/education/article3882443.ece
  • Options

Lab 42 (+1)
    SNP 10 (+4)
    Con 4 (+3)
    LD 3 (-8)

This neatly illustrates one of the key problems for the Scottish Liberal Democrats: with no money, decimated ground troops and councillor numbers slashed they are fighting on three very different fronts (four if you include the Greens, who have also been taking significant chunks of the SLD vote).

The Lib Dem losses would be:
    - East Dunbartonshire, to Labour
    - Argyll & Bute, to the SNP
    - Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross, to the SNP
    - Gordon, to the SNP
    - Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch & Strathspey, to the SNP
    - Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk, to the Tories
    - Edinburgh West, to the Tories
    - West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine, to the Tories

The impending SLD massacre could be so profound that Baxter has them not just being beaten in certain seats, but actually slipping into 3rd or even 4th place (in Argyll & Bute and in Edinburgh West).

Why don't you just recycle your "Michael Moore is a dead man walking" posts from before the 2010 election, to save typing effort.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    The basis for the Electoral Calculus result (from their email) is "The most recent polls from the six pollsters who published polls in September are:"

Ipsos-MORI (Evening Standard) has Con 34, Lab 37, Lib 10, UKIP 11 (Labour lead 3)
    ICM (Guardian) has Con 32, Lab 36, Lib 14, UKIP 9 (Labour lead 4)
    ComRes (Independent on Sunday) has Con 28, Lab 36, Lib 10, UKIP 17 Labour Lead 8)
    Opinium (Observer) has Con 29, Lab 36, Lib 7, UKIP 17 (Labour lead 7)
    Populus has Con 34, Lab 37, Lib 12, UKIP 9 (Labour lead 3)
    YouGov (Sunday Times) has Con 31, Lab 42, Lib 9, UKIP 19 (Labour lead11)

So their conclusion is:
    "Overall the average is Con 31 (unch), Lab 37 (unch), Lib 10 (-1), UKIP 14 (+1)."

As these polls were taken at different times and using different methods (and does not allow for outliers), this "average" does not look to be statistically valid.

The 23 seats that the LDs would retain are:

Yeovil, Devon N, Torbay, Portsmouth S, Bath, Thornbury, Cheltenham, Lewes, Twickenham, Kingston, Carshalton, Colchester, Norfolk N, Sheffield Hallam, Leeds NW, Hazel Grove, Southport, Westmorland, Ceredigion, Brecon, Ross & Skye, Orkney & S, Fife NE.

Does not seem to allow for incumbency??

• Options
    It will be interesting to see how George manages his tone today in relation to welfare. So often the tories get it wrong.

Look at this article for an example: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/10343237/George-Osborne-says-that-welfare-claimants-will-have-to-work-for-their-dole-money.html

Firstly, it has people wearing bibs with the title "Community Payback". This is of course people serving a criminal sentence not welfare recipients. Then you look at what George is actually going to say:

“No one will be ignored or left without help. But no one will get something for nothing,” Mr Osborne will tell the conference. “Help to work – and in return work for the dole.”

He will add: “For the first time, all long-term unemployed people … who are capable of work will be required to do something in return for their benefits to help them find work.”

Mixed messages. What he in fact seems to be proposing is a modest extension of existing schemes by which the long term unemployed are given work experience to help them become more employable. There are also to be specific programs to attack illiteracy and drug issues. Who could argue with this?

IMO this is both compassionate and right. The way that society abandons so many people at the present time is immoral. I clearly remember Nigel Lawson saying that unemployment is a moral problem, not an economic one. It is not an economic one because we can afford to pay the benefits (or at least in we could in the late 80s) but it is a moral one because so many of our fellow citizens are not being helped and left with miserable lives. So many years on and we still do not do enough to help the long term unemployed.

Will this be the message today or will it be the usual scrounger rubbish? It is all about tone. Osborne is generally socially liberal. I really hope he gets it right.
  • Options
    I suspect that whatever he said - the Outrage Bus will be full of people moaning about Evil Heartless Tories and digging out a hard-case story.
    DavidL said:

It will be interesting to see how George manages his tone today in relation to welfare. So often the tories get it wrong.

Look at this article for an example: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/10343237/George-Osborne-says-that-welfare-claimants-will-have-to-work-for-their-dole-money.html

Firstly, it has people wearing bibs with the title "Community Payback". This is of course people serving a criminal sentence not welfare recipients. Then you look at what George is actually going to say:

“No one will be ignored or left without help. But no one will get something for nothing,” Mr Osborne will tell the conference. “Help to work – and in return work for the dole.”

He will add: “For the first time, all long-term unemployed people … who are capable of work will be required to do something in return for their benefits to help them find work.”

Mixed messages. What he in fact seems to be proposing is a modest extension of existing schemes by which the long term unemployed are given work experience to help them become more employable. There are also to be specific programs to attack illiteracy and drug issues. Who could argue with this?

IMO this is both compassionate and right. The way that society abandons so many people at the present time is immoral. I clearly remember Nigel Lawson saying that unemployment is a moral problem, not an economic one. It is not an economic one because we can afford to pay the benefits (or at least in we could in the late 80s) but it is a moral one because so many of our fellow citizens are not being helped and left with miserable lives. So many years on and we still do not do enough to help the long term unemployed.

Will this be the message today or will it be the usual scrounger rubbish? It is all about tone. Osborne is generally socially liberal. I really hope he gets it right.

• Options
    Test
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited September 2013
    Millsy said:

In my mind it is inconceivable that the Conservatives won't pick up up some support between now and the election - the question is how much Labour will retain. I'm sure Clegg will be hoping that the 2015 campaign will be good for the Lib Dems because at the moment most people have written them off but may take a fresh look at election time.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's inconceivable that they'll fail to clear 31%. Improbable, yes. One conceivable way for it to happen is if we get a Faragasm this time where we got a Cleggasm last time. I wouldn't say that's actually likely - most likely UKIP will get squeezed well below 10 - but it's not hard to imagine, given how unimpressed the voters are with the leaders of the main parties.
  • Options
    I enjoyed this from Janet Daly

"...For the official Opposition to return to the anti-free-market rhetoric of 1982 could be damaging even if there was little likelihood of them being returned to power. The warnings of future price-freezes, of confiscation, of higher business taxes, of punitive regulation create the sense of a culture in which enterprise and inward investment would be unwise to venture. The new Miliband revivalism brings back the threat of nationalisation and state seizure that did so much to wreck the prospects of post-war British industry.

And yes, Mr Cameron makes it clear that he sees all this. He also appears to appreciate how truly backward-looking and reactionary it is. This is a belief system that collapsed under the weight of its own contradictions a generation ago. So definitively discredited was the statist solution that it did not even enjoy a renaissance after the spectacular financial crash of 2008: failed banks may have been taken into public ownership but everybody agreed that this should be a temporary measure for the duration of the present emergency. Nobody wanted the government to control the financial institutions for a moment longer than was necessary. If mass public opinion didn’t revert to socialist theology then, it never will.

Yet here it is, flickering into life again: the Old Religion with its seductive dream of a perfect, state-controlled economy in which no one makes “too much” profit and no one ever earns less than he needs. The Tories need to go after this argument at full throttle: to make a well-defined, unambiguous fight over state power versus individual liberty. >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10339667/Socialisms-return-is-a-gift-for-the-Tories.html
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    O/T:

Don't tell Rod crosby this news. He will have a attack of some sort !
  • Options
    Plato said:

I suspect that whatever he said - the Outrage Bus will be full of people moaning about Evil Heartless Tories and digging out a hard-case story.

DavidL said:

And, they will be correct !
  • Options

Thatcher the reality and Thatcher the myth are two very different things.

This includes how both those on the Left and those on the Right think of her.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

[ snip ]

He has already got it wrong. As your Telegraph link shows, it is too easily portrayed as treating the unemployed as criminals. Since the Telegraph is not Pravda, we must assume this instance was inadvertent, but that rather makes the point.

Unless some idiot Blairite announces that Labour too supports workfare (as it has done in the past) this will drive wavering LibDem supporters into Mr Miliband's arms.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Plato said:

DavidL said:

Plato, Gideon can't have it both ways.

On the one hand, he is extending current practice. But he thinks he needs to satisfy his Tory audience. Therefore, he ramps his voice by tens of decibels. He needs to sound tough on the spongers because that is what the baying mob wants to hear.

• Options
    Off Topic, but I was interested in this
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/29/conservatism-spreading-tories-cant-fathom

"Aside from Eric Pickles and the transport secretary Patrick McLoughlin, the upper reaches of the Conservative party no longer contain anyone who understands non-metropolitan, working-class conservatism as a matter of instinct. Indeed, there is an abundance of people like Osborne who probably feel very awkward about it. Thatcher, Tebbit et al sold the population neoliberalism because they combined it with an innate understanding of ordinary people's values and prejudices"

The new group "Renewal" might be interesting
  • Options
    A nugget that rings true for me - re UKIP/Tory flirting http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article3882541.ece

"A former advisor to President George W. Bush has warned the Tories of the dangers of courting Mr Farage. Drawing parallels with the Republic Party’s relationship with the Tea Party movement, David Frum says: “The danger the Conservatives now face is they’re so mesmerised by the fear of losing 3–4 per cent of votes to the Right that they end up overbalancing and losing 8, 10, 12 points to the Left.”
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Redward probably will be PM. If the economy is recovering but this is not translating into positive effects for people and living standards remain stuck then Dave is not going to get that much credit - no matter how the bond market inproves.

The collapse of public finances under PM Redward and a gilt market meltdown will see living standards set back a generation - and line up Boris for a 2020 adminsitration to reset the public / private sector debate.

You should wake up now ! It's past 8:00 am.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

On the one hand, he is extending current practice. But he thinks he needs to satisfy his Tory audience. Therefore, he ramps his voice by tens of decibels. He needs to sound tough on the spongers because that is what the baying mob wants to hear.

As I said it is about tone and being brave and smart enough to defy the mob. A policy that offers the unemployed a helping hand not a fist. A speech that talks seriously about why compulsion is needed to help those in a slough of despond but does not seek to make some virtue out of it.

As Plato says this is not how it will be reported on the whole but the message should be that we care, not that we condemn.

• Options
    Plato said:

A nugget that rings true for me - re UKIP/Tory flirting http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article3882541.ece

"A former advisor to President George W. Bush has warned the Tories of the dangers of courting Mr Farage. Drawing parallels with the Republic Party’s relationship with the Tea Party movement, David Frum says: “The danger the Conservatives now face is they’re so mesmerised by the fear of losing 3–4 per cent of votes to the Right that they end up overbalancing and losing 8, 10, 12 points to the Left.”

No disrespect intended to David Frum but the Tories aren't going to lose 8, 10 or 12 points to the left.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    O/T

Nearly 300 children aged 11 or under were admitted to A&E units across the UK last year after drinking too much, a BBC Radio 5 live investigation shows.

Revealing UK-wide data for the first time, it said a total of 6,500 under-18s were admitted in 2012-13.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24301379

Wonder how many of these children are still allowed by Social Services to live with their errant parents or do they come from children's homes? Social Services would be quick enough to act on suspicion of 'racism' or 'a disciplinary slap' - have they acted on any of these cases?
  • Options
    To put it a different way, Mike, Baxter is suggesting a Lab Overall should be 1/4, Tory overall should be 25/1.

Intuitively this feels wrong, and a number of posters have suggested why. I think they're right, up to a point, but the punters on here have been suggesting for a while that Betfair is offering some value and I think they too are right, up to a point.

I made my first serious investments in this market over the weekend, on the general assumption that the Tories were way too short at 4.1 (Betfair) and the other options were therefore value. I think the best value now offered is the 2.8 Red Overall, but I can see the case for NOM too.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332
    Like DavidL I think Electoral Calculus has limited application at the moment - it just tells us that if Labour leads in votes it'll almost certainly win, which we already knew. However, if I were a Conservative I'd be uncomfrtably aware that the months are ticking away without any significant change to the position. Reliance on what happened in previous elections (e.g. "Labour nearly always loses ground in the last two years of a Parliament") is dodgy - the sample of all postwar elections (<20) is just too small to say anything reliable, and makes the study of Scottish subsamples look like first-class statistics.
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/29/conservatism-spreading-tories-cant-fathom

"Aside from Eric Pickles and the transport secretary Patrick McLoughlin, the upper reaches of the Conservative party no longer contain anyone who understands non-metropolitan, working-class conservatism as a matter of instinct. Indeed, there is an abundance of people like Osborne who probably feel very awkward about it. Thatcher, Tebbit et al sold the population neoliberalism because they combined it with an innate understanding of ordinary people's values and prejudices"

How would they categorise William Hague?
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Like DavidL I think Electoral Calculus has limited application at the moment - it just tells us that if Labour leads in votes it'll almost certainly win, which we already knew. However, if I were a Conservative I'd be uncomfrtably aware that the months are ticking away without any significant change to the position. Reliance on what happened in previous elections (e.g. "Labour nearly always loses ground in the last two years of a Parliament") is dodgy - the sample of all postwar elections (<20) is just too small to say anything reliable, and makes the study of Scottish subsamples look like first-class statistics.</p>

To be fair Nick until the Conference season things were going the tories' way with the Labour lead falling about `1% a month and cross over looking distinctly possible. Much though it appalled me it appears at the moment that Ed's speech has undone several months of good work and got us back to where we were at the start of the year.

Is this simply Conference froth or is it the tories that have been kidding themselves? Really hard to say right at the minute but my view (hope) is that there was a clear link between the tory recovery and the increase in economic optimism in the polling. If that reasserts itself after the Conference season and the good news continues (there will be very strong growth figures for Q3 in the next week or so) then it is all to play for with Labour presently in the box seats.

• Options
    Plato said:

DavidL said:

Would you be happy to work 30 hours for £69 a week? That's less than a third of the minimum wage.

• Options
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

Plato said:

As I said it is about tone and being brave and smart enough to defy the mob. A policy that offers the unemployed a helping hand not a fist. A speech that talks seriously about why compulsion is needed to help those in a slough of despond but does not seek to make some virtue out of it.

As Plato says this is not how it will be reported on the whole but the message should be that we care, not that we condemn.

When I was long-term unemployed, Mrs Thatcher kindly sent me on a 6-month (or was it nine?) post-graduate computing course. She also created short term and underpaid jobs under the Community Programme -- many of which were rubbish but some did involve learning new skills.

But simply requiring people to attend JobCentres every day smacks more of victimisation.

Asking people to spend all day searching for jobs shows a lack of awareness of technology. In the old days, it might have taken hours to leaf through newspaper advertisements and compose applications. Now, you set up a search query on the major job sites which email you the results each day. A Google search for jobs on company's own sites takes care of the rest.
  • Options
    Being paid to do nothing is acceptable? As an hourly rate its very impressive.

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Would you be happy to work 30 hours for £69 a week? That's less than a third of the minimum wage.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited September 2013
    If I was responsible for the Tories strategy I'd spend as much as it takes to get Steve Hilton back and I'd give him a free hand.

Rebuilding the Tory brand so anyone could feel comfortable voting for them takes time and he was going about it the right way.

With the economy apparently improving it's perverse for the mood music of the conference to be that the nasty party are back.

However instantly popular this music might seem it feeds an image the Tories have to shake off to stand a chance of winning. It is a problem unique to the Tories which Hilton alone seems to have understood.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    surbiton said:

Surby, the only baying mob in Manchester this week was the assorted group of lefties and rent-a-mob protestors shouting "Tory scum" etc at the people attending conference.

Even where Tories - such as that soldier - vehemently disagree with the party leadership they typically do it politely.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,293

Plato said:

No disrespect intended to David Frum but the Tories aren't going to lose 8, 10 or 12 points to the left.
    Maybe not but the point is well made.

I am as true blue a tory as you are likely to meet (but with a heart of gold...) and I cringe when the lead item is benefits-related. As do I when we hear of yet another OE posho appointed to No.10 policy unit (to address @Fat_Steve's point above).

The Cons need to focus on economic competence, slow but sure recovery, extending the reach of the recovery downwards (this trickier to finesse but a necessity), and then, come early 2015, a nicely judged bribe that will make people think:

"if I stick with this not only are all the economic indicators turning up, which means eff-all to me, but I will directly benefit, extra pounds in my pocket by Policy X which that nice Mr Osborne just announced."
  • Options
    Ironically amusing

"Len McCluskey, the Unite general secretary, said: ‘My message to the private health companies who are lining up like vultures is that we will take everything back when we have a Labour government.’

However, all of this huffing and puffing would be a lot more convincing if these trades unionist zombies actually practised what they preached.

Tucked away on the same website, the union is selling private medical insurance to its 1.1million members. They can, for a fee, of course, access Unite’s ‘critical illness plans’.

These are private insurance contracts which give members lump sums for illnesses such as ‘heart attack, coronary artery bypass graft, stroke, multiple sclerosis, cancer, kidney failure, liver failure and accidental paralysis or loss of limb as defined in the policy conditions’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2437931/Go-private-pro-NHS-Unite-tells-members.html#ixzz2gMMdVwSS
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Hear hear!
  • Options

Thatcher the reality and Thatcher the myth are two very different things.

This includes how both those on the Left and those on the Right think of her.
    Indeed, neither the heartless capitalist in tooth & claw of the left, nor the unswerving principled visionary of the right.......she was both more interesting, complex and duller!
  • Options
    Plato said:

"Teachers are split over performance-related pay, with most backing the principle behind it but a third saying that they would avoid working in schools that implemented it, according to a survey. The 1,002 teachers who were questioned by YouGov for the think-tank Policy Exchange were asked if they would work in a school where pay was more explicitly linked to performance.

The idea that the quality of their teaching should be a key determinant of pay and progression was supported by 89 per cent, and 66 per cent thought that progress made by their students should determine salary and seniority.Thirty-three per cent said they would be “less likely to”; 22 per cent said “more likely”; but 45 per cent said it would make no difference. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/education/article3882443.ece

The problem with performance related pay for teaching is that it is near impossible to assess accurately. To get a fair idea of the individual worth of each teacher, you'd need to have them each teach the same class on the same topic for the same amount of time, and then have them sit the same exam. Obviously impractical. By simply "paying by results" you run the risk of results being affected by a particularly above or below average set of students.

Lesson observations are also problematic. A teacher will typically teach about 1500 lessons year. The school will probably only have the resources to conduct observations 4 or 5 lessons a year per teacher. So a teachers salary will depend on observing about 0.3% their total work in a year. Clearly wholly unrepresentative, and again, a particularly well or badly performing class would have an undue impact.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Plato said:

Maybe not but the point is well made.

I am as true blue a tory as you are likely to meet (but with a heart of gold...) and I cringe when the lead item is benefits-related. As do I when we hear of yet another OE posho appointed to No.10 policy unit (to address @Fat_Steve's point above).

The Cons need to focus on economic competence, slow but sure recovery, extending the reach of the recovery downwards (this trickier to finesse but a necessity), and then, come early 2015, a nicely judged bribe that will make people think:

"if I stick with this not only are all the economic indicators turning up, which means eff-all to me, but I will directly benefit, extra pounds in my pocket by Policy X which that nice Mr Osborne just announced."
    Yes, I do agree with the main point. The root of it is the basic FPTP mathematical fact that a vote lost to Lab costs Con twice as much as a vote lost to UKIP.
  • Options

Plato said:

The problem with performance related pay for teaching is that it is near impossible to assess accurately. To get a fair idea of the individual worth of each teacher, you'd need to have them each teach the same class on the same topic for the same amount of time, and then have them sit the same exam. Obviously impractical. By simply "paying by results" you run the risk of results being affected by a particularly above or below average set of students.

Lesson observations are also problematic. A teacher will typically teach about 1500 lessons year. The school will probably only have the resources to conduct observations 4 or 5 lessons a year per teacher. So a teachers salary will depend on observing about 0.3% their total work in a year. Clearly wholly unrepresentative, and again, a particularly well or badly performing class would have an undue impact.

And a good head should be able to factor those in. Moreover, I would expect teachers to be categorised into 3 or 4 bands which will even out some of the anomalies anyway.
  • Options

Plato said:

Video all the classes, then jump through the footage at random to get a representative sample.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Plato said:

I'd forgotten about the Tea Party comparison. It's a good point. The Tories should thank their lucky stars that the British tea party movement has created another party rather than infecting theirs.

• Options
    Quite. It's created a problem - but I'd rather have UKIP than Militant style infiltrators.
    Jonathan said:

Plato said:

I'd forgotten about the Tea Party comparison. It's a good point. The Tories should thank their lucky stars that the British tea party movement has created another party rather than infecting theirs.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Plato said:

Swap the word "Tories" with "Coalition" and we're nearly already there.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Hear hear!
    I am sure the sight of disabled people in wheelchairs going around spearing up litter or going to the job centre every day is going to show that Conservatives care . The truth is that the Tories have written off the votes for ever of that section of society and no longer care how much they impoverish them or make their lives harder on a daily basis .
  • Options

Charles said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Hear hear!
    I am sure the sight of disabled people in wheelchairs going around spearing up litter or going to the job centre every day is going to show that Conservatives care . The truth is that the Tories have written off the votes for ever of that section of society and no longer care how much they impoverish them or make their lives harder on a daily basis .
    And written on votes from a helluva lot of people in UK who love this kind of thing, not just Tories.

As I said, it doesn't float my boat but it does reflect the peoples' wishes.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Financier said:

O/T

Nearly 300 children aged 11 or under were admitted to A&E units across the UK last year after drinking too much, a BBC Radio 5 live investigation shows.

Revealing UK-wide data for the first time, it said a total of 6,500 under-18s were admitted in 2012-13.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24301379

Wonder how many of these children are still allowed by Social Services to live with their errant parents or do they come from children's homes? Social Services would be quick enough to act on suspicion of 'racism' or 'a disciplinary slap' - have they acted on any of these cases?

Don't forget, there will be some accidents in there. I remember a story growing up of two parents looking after children and having a glass of wine each. One child needed help on the toilet, both parents went. And a three year old finished off both glasses of wine. Said child was rushed to A&E, where she threw up merrily.
  • Options

Millsy said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's inconceivable that they'll fail to clear 31%. Improbable, yes. One conceivable way for it to happen is if we get a Faragasm this time where we got a Cleggasm last time. I wouldn't say that's actually likely - most likely UKIP will get squeezed well below 10 - but it's not hard to imagine, given how unimpressed the voters are with the leaders of the main parties.
    Yes, it does depend on how much (good) attention Ukip get during the campaign - unless they have success in going under the radar? But if Farage somehow gets into the TV debates then all bets would be off.
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

While Osborne is very awkward with people from that background the more damaging attitude comes from Cameron who seems to despise working and lower middle class Conservatives.

Sean Fear's comments on this issue are very relevant.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

Plato said:

When I was long-term unemployed, Mrs Thatcher kindly sent me on a 6-month (or was it nine?) post-graduate computing course. She also created short term and underpaid jobs under the Community Programme -- many of which were rubbish but some did involve learning new skills.

But simply requiring people to attend JobCentres every day smacks more of victimisation.

I agree. Such a policy has to have some other justification. Does the case officer have suspicions that the claimant is actually working? Has he or she regularly failed to turn up at interviews? Will it do them good to have a reason to get up and get out the house?

As a blanket policy it is absurd. It would need more DSS staff to cope for a start.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Hear hear!
    And written on votes from a helluva lot of people in UK who love this kind of thing, not just Tories.

I don't think it will add on any votes never mind a lelluva lot . It will confirm the votes of those like Charles and Plato who do not comprehend how a compassionate and civilised society should be like .
  • Options
    IIRC 71% of voters are in favour of this or something like it in June this year.

71 per cent supported the idea of putting a limit on the amount of time someone can be unemployed, by providing work of social value, paid at the minimum wage, for anyone out of a job for more than 12 months, and requiring them to take it or lose access to benefits (with 13 per cent against).

http://www.ippr.org/?p=1087&option=com_wordpress&Itemid=17
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Hear hear!

• Options

Plato said:

Video all the classes, then jump through the footage at random to get a representative sample.
    Leaving aside the problem that legally you'd need to get permission of every single parent to film the classes, to get a statistically valid sample you'd need to watch about 20 lessons per teacher per year. Each lesson is an hour long and there in an average school there may be 80 teachers. So that's 1,600 hours a year. Congratulations, you've just created a new full time position in every school.

• Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    The problem for the Tories is that they are seen as out of touch with the lifes of most people. This is why Labour will keep talking about the cost of living as this resonates with 95% of the population. How can the Tories combat this ? Quite difficult in my opinion as the Tories are rightly or wrongly seen on the side of big business, so won't implement such things as an energy price freeze. The Tories are probably also not in favour of any significant rise in the minimum wage or introducing a living wage.

So I expect that the Tories will campaign on the basis that Labour will increase debt and costs to business, which will make cost of living even more expensive. I can see the Tory posters already warning about the tax rises to come under Labour. It will be pretty negative stuff, which is why Labour are wise to have some independent review of their plans.

If I were betting on the election outcome in 2015, I would put money on Labour winning, but being just short of a majority. I think they will win about 320 seats, which will just be enough to govern as a minority, without needing the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,912

Plato said:

DavidL said:

At least it would give you some discipline and self respect , rather than in many cases just sponging off other people for most of their lives. I have to work a lot of hours to pay for the layabouts and despite some on here who live in cloud cuckoo land , lots do not want to work and prefer sponging and being able to lie in bed watching their 60" plasma.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited September 2013

Lower pay for camera-shy teachers. Will that be the elections slogan?

On that thought, and to be serious for a minute, perhaps Mr Gove should look at whether drama schools could help teachers with presenting and performing skills. There are many online lectures on youtube and elsewhere and (anecdote alert!) the most engaging professors even in dry, technical subjects seem to have the same speech patterns as would be used for telling a story or even in stand-up comedy.

RADA offers communication skills courses to businesses. I can hardly wait for Charles's Hamlet.
    http://www.rada.ac.uk/rada-enterprises

Isn't Michael Gove himself a frustrated thespian?
  • Options
    Even with a large pinch of salt - this is depressing

" I don’t think I have ever told you about my last official meeting with Ed Miliband...It took place a few years ago, and my City Hall team was very excited in the run-up. We had an absolute corker of a plan, you see...

We were going to launch a huge drive to improve the energy efficiency in the capital’s homes. We were going to hit all sorts of nails pretty smartly on the head: we were going to cut CO₂ emissions, and thereby stop the polar bears from plopping off the ice floes. We were going to cut NO₂ emissions from our noisome old boilers, and so improve air quality. We were going to help get thousands of people into work as retro-fitters – people who went around helping to insulate homes... Above all, we were going to achieve the number one objective of the scheme: we were going to help cut the cost of heating people’s homes and help stabilise fuel bills.

I was interested in the plan as a way of helping the planet and helping people in tough times. As for Ed – well, it was, frankly, a bit disheartening. He wasn’t remotely interested. He didn’t want to talk about retro-fitting and, as I gabbled away about a new legion of “boiler bunnies” bouncing up to your door, I was aware that a deep tranquillity had settled on the minister.

He didn’t want to talk about cutting the cost of living. He just wanted to trade jokes about the forthcoming general election; and as one of my team put it later: “He was only vaguely in command of his brief and had no interest in achieving anything.” We wrote a long and optimistic follow-up letter, hoping that perhaps he had been taking it in. Nada. Not a peep. > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10343099/Ed-Miliband-in-power-like-a-turbine-on-a-windless-day.html
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Hear hear!

I don't think it will add on any votes never mind a lelluva lot . It will confirm the votes of those like Charles and Plato who do not comprehend how a compassionate and civilised society should be like .
    Mark just because you don't like a policy doesn't necessarily make it malum in se.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Quite. It's created a problem - but I'd rather have UKIP than Militant style infiltrators.

Aren't you a Blairite infiltrator into the Conservative party ?

In fact you could make a very good case for Cameron being an arrogant but insecure metropolitan liberal who has infiltrated the Conservative party.

One thing that Militant was accused of was selecting unsuitable but cultish candidates which is exactly what Cameron did as well.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Plato said:

Swap the word "Tories" with "Coalition" and we're nearly already there.
    Sure but the LibDems lost most of those for going along with regular mainstream conservative stuff. The tea-partiest stuff from the Tory side didn't make it into the coalition agreement, and the LibDems had already been lost by the time the Tories started doing immigration vans and things to please the UKIP-curious.

I suppose you could argue that what Frum is talking about happened decades earlier, which opened up the space for the SDP then the LibDems to eat away at a party that used to win the votes of closer to half the voters...
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited September 2013
    malcolmg said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

At least it would give you some discipline and self respect , rather than in many cases just sponging off other people for most of their lives. I have to work a lot of hours to pay for the layabouts and despite some on here who live in cloud cuckoo land , lots do not want to work and prefer sponging and being able to lie in bed watching their 60" plasma.
    Picking up litter for £2.30 an hour. That's an interesting definition of self-respect.
  • Options

Picking up litter for £2.30 an hour. That's an interesting definiti

Who are you suggesting should pick up litter, and how much would you pay them?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2013

malcolmg said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Picking up JSA every week plus other benefits for doing nothing. That not fair to everyone else who is paying for it.
  • Options

Leaving aside the problem that legally you'd need to get permission of every single parent to film the classes, to get a statistically valid sample you'd need to watch about 20 lessons per teacher per year. Each lesson is an hour long and there in an average school there may be 80 teachers. So that's 1,600 hours a year. Congratulations, you've just created a new full time position in every school.

You don't have to watch complete lessons to rate them, and the person who does it doesn't have to be expensively located in the UK.
  • Options

AFAICR, a big problem is that there are stupid limits to the amount of time a head can spend evaluating their staff in the classroom. The reason the observations aren't occurring is not resources, but unions.

Ah yes:
    http://www.nasuwt.org.uk/MemberSupport/NASUWTPublications/LessonObservation/index.htm
    Instruction 2: Members are instructed not to participate in any form of management-led classroom observation in any school which refuses to operate a policy of a limit of a total of three observations for all purposes within a total time of up to three hours per year.
    On the face of it, this seems absolutely crazy. How can a head really see how any teacher is doing, if he can only study how (s)he performs in the class for a maximum of three hours a year? How can any manager tell how their employees are doing under such constraints?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Millsy said:

Millsy said:

Yes, it does depend on how much (good) attention Ukip get during the campaign - unless they have success in going under the radar? But if Farage somehow gets into the TV debates then all bets would be off.
    This is going to sound totally crazy, but does Farage really want to be in the debates? Isn't the danger of debating the other party leaders, in a staged and artificial format, that he will end up looking, well, like just another politician?

And does he really want to be put in a position where he has to defend the combination of UKIP's pension and tax policies? It might be quite possible for the coalition to paint him as irresponsible for promising more money for retirees (more spending!) and workers (lower taxes!)

Worse, just the very act of being on stage defending policies in the same format as the Libs and the Cons and the Labs make him... just another politician.

UKIP's best chance surely has to be "we are different". The debates run the risk of making them appear on the same level as other politicians.

(Of course, this only works if UKIP is excluded from the debates. They can't really refuse to go if they get an invite.)
  • Options
    I dunno, maybe the legal minimum wage of £6.19 an hour? Wouldn't that make it closer to "working"?
  • Options
    I voted Tory in 1987 for Mrs T because Sue Lawley was extremely rude to Norman Tebbit - I even knocked on doors for them.

I thought she was the medicine required at the time - times have changed and think Mr Cameron is the best on offer by a long chalk despite being agin him on greenie/nannying stuff

I do find your grievance agenda rather peculiar - I'm from a working class but very aspirational Geordie background - that you choose to indulge in name calling rather a lot makes me wonder who you'd be happy with.

Plato said:

Aren't you a Blairite infiltrator into the Conservative party ?

In fact you could make a very good case for Cameron being an arrogant but insecure metropolitan liberal who has infiltrated the Conservative party.

One thing that Militant was accused of was selecting unsuitable but cultish candidates which is exactly what Cameron did as well.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Millsy said:

Millsy said:

This is going to sound totally crazy, but does Farage really want to be in the debates? Isn't the danger of debating the other party leaders, in a staged and artificial format, that he will end up looking, well, like just another politician?

And does he really want to be put in a position where he has to defend the combination of UKIP's pension and tax policies? It might be quite possible for the coalition to paint him as irresponsible for promising more money for retirees (more spending!) and workers (lower taxes!)

Worse, just the very act of being on stage defending policies in the same format as the Libs and the Cons and the Labs make him... just another politician.

UKIP's best chance surely has to be "we are different". The debates run the risk of making them appear on the same level as other politicians.

(Of course, this only works if UKIP is excluded from the debates. They can't really refuse to go if they get an invite.)
    Yes, I'm sure he'd want the publicity. The policy stuff isn't a problem, because he has more money for everyone from leaving the EU. This may not stand up to prolonged forensic interrogation, but that's not what he'd get in a debate.
  • Options

If we want people to work for benefits then we should abolish out-of-work benefits for those fit to work and simply offer the unemployed a guaranteed job working for the government at minimum wage, with paid holidays, etc.

I've no idea what you would do with ~16 million hours of labour every day that wouldn't undermine the rest of the labour market, but it would be a damn sight better than the demeaning crap the Tories are coming up with.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @MarkS

"I don't think it will add on any votes never mind a lelluva lot . It will confirm the votes of those like Charles and Plato who do not comprehend how a compassionate and civilised society should be like ."

You've hit the nail on the head. A policy in the hands of a party with a reputation for being nasty has to behave quite differently to one that is seen as compassionate. Their motives look different and even people who might support the policy feel uncomfortable
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    edited September 2013

I dunno, maybe the legal minimum wage of £6.19 an hour? Wouldn't that make it closer to "working"?

Is it 30 hours a week they will be working? If you're going to quote hourly rates, then we need the actual detail of what people will be doing, and the times they'll be working.

The BBC says 'work placements' which doesn't sound full-time to me.

• Options

If we want people to work for benefits then we should abolish out-of-work benefits for those fit to work and simply offer the unemployed a guaranteed job working for the government at minimum wage, with paid holidays, etc.

I've no idea what you would do with ~16 million hours of labour every day that wouldn't undermine the rest of the labour market, but it would be a damn sight better than the demeaning crap the Tories are coming up with.
    Rate videos of teachers.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

It will be interesting to see how George manages his tone today in relation to welfare. So

Picking up JSA every week plus other benefits for doing nothing. That not fair to everyone else who is paying for it.
    There are already plenty of conditions proscribed on those claiming JSA. It isn't given out for nothing. And, of course, part of it is contingent on previous NI contributions.

The idea that someone is living a comfortable life on £3600 a year is laughable.
  • Options

Rate videos of teachers.
    Performance assessment has been in schools for decades. both my parents were teachers, and my wife is one. It's not 'impossible' as some might say, as it already happens on a daily basis.
  • Options
    Why is it demeaning? Others are already making meals for the elderly out of the goodness of their hearts.

What's demeaning about work? Why pay people who haven't a job the minimum wage when those who are employable get no more because the minimum wage has created a defacto baseline that used to be fluid and demand driven?

Oh - its weirdy entitlement culture where those who try are taken the pee out of so those who get it handed to them on a plate are treated *fairly*

• Options
    Roger said:

@MarkS

"I don't think it will add on any votes never mind a lelluva lot . It will confirm the votes of those like Charles and Plato who do not comprehend how a compassionate and civilised society should be like ."

You've hit the nail on the head. A policy in the hands of a party with a reputation for being nasty has to behave quite differently to one that is seen as compassionate. Their motives look different and even people who might support the policy feel uncomfortable

"A policy in the hands of a party with a reputation for being nasty "
    It's a Conservative policy, not a Labour one.

Given your stated beliefs about abuse of women in the workplace, I think you should be arewful before throwing accusations of 'nasty' about.

Or perhaps they should just get jobs in hairdressers?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

It will be interesting to see how George manages his tone today in relation to welfare. So

There are already plenty of conditions proscribed on those claiming JSA. It isn't given out for nothing. And, of course, part of it is contingent on previous NI contributions.

The idea that someone is living a comfortable life on £3600 a year is laughable.
    you are wasting your time trying to explain the realities of life to a pbtory .
  • Options
    Does anyone know how well UNS performed at previous general elections?

It could be that confounding local factors even out across the country and it performs pretty well for the national totals, given the correct vote share.
  • Options

Rate videos of teachers.
    Performance assessment has been in schools for decades. both my parents were teachers, and my wife is one. It's not 'impossible' as some might say, as it already happens on a daily basis.
    Every performance related pay environment I've worked in [and its a lot] works fine as the manager agrees with the staff member what's an acceptable level of performance re improvements or quality metrics or whatever - then they're assessed against these on a monthly/quarterly basis. If you're given a duff hand of clients - you're performance is based on their likelihood to improve - its not rocket science.

Those complaining about the variable nature of school pupils or their motivation levels appear to be totally unwilling to accept that exactly the same human nature traits exist in private sector companies or their clientele. And perf pay rewards across very many jobs because it works well.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited September 2013

you are wasting your time trying to explain the realities of life to a pbtory .

Yes, only you are aware of the reality, which is that the long-term unemployed comprises entirely "disabled people in wheelchairs".
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    edited September 2013
    Somewhat off topic but the Beeb has published a map identifying areas where people describe themselves as British, English Welsh or Scottish. It looks, and I haven't got time to check, as though many of the areas where most people describe themselves as English are where UKIP is strong.
  • Options
    I doubt Osborne's announcement will mean anything very much on the ground. The DWP does not have the staff to organise community work and cope with claimants turning up to sign on every day. Just like Universal Credit - sounds good but completely impractical.
  • Options
    Sort-of OT, everyone's talking like the economy's going to keep getting better. But what with the GOP erotically asphixiating the world's largest economy, Italy doing whatever Italy's doing (I didn't follow the details but it doesn't sound good), China's chickens coming home to roost and Robert's CSS going wrong again, isn't there a risk of more trouble in the UK?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited September 2013
    There is a difference between doing voluntary work, well, voluntarily, and doing "voluntary" work because otherwise your benefits will be stopped. That difference is demeaning.

I did not say work itself was demeaning - in fact I think it would do people a lot of good to be offered a job by the government instead of simply subsistence benefits in return for meeting a bunch of often meaningless bureaucratic targets.

Also, I think that if people knew they could get work at the minimum wage working for the government, it would force private companies to pay more as they would have to compete for labour.
    Plato said:

Why is it demeaning? Others are already making meals for the elderly out of the goodness of their hearts.

What's demeaning about work? Why pay people who haven't a job the minimum wage when those who are employable get no more because the minimum wage has created a defacto baseline that used to be fluid and demand driven?

Oh - its weirdy entitlement culture where those who try are taken the pee out of so those who get it handed to them on a plate are treated *fairly*

• Options

Somewhat off topic but the Beeb has published a map identifying areas where people describe themselves as British, English Welsh or Scottish. It looks, and I haven't got time to check, as though many of the areas where most people describe themselves as English are where UKIP is strong. I haven't got time to check in detail at the moment.

Yep, it was basically (broadly), that white UK born people tend to describe themselves as 'English/Welsh/Scottish', and ethnic minorities as 'British'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24302914
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Millsy said:

Millsy said:

I hear where you're coming from but I don't think he'd pass on the chance of reaching directly into the living rooms of millions of voters.
This discussion has been closed.