Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So a cabinet Brexit deal is done and there are no resignations

Comments

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AndyJS said:

I think Sweden might win tomorrow. In some ways their team is better than ours.

I think you are wrong but might I commend the 7/1 against Sweden reaching the final because if they are stronger than us, then they should also beat whoever wins from Croatia and Russia.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

I think Sweden might win tomorrow. In some ways their team is better than ours.

I think you are wrong but might I commend the 7/1 against Sweden reaching the final because if they are stronger than us, then they should also beat whoever wins from Croatia and Russia.
    If Russia win the tournament it'll be a testament to sheer will power over talent. They must be under enormous pressure to perform well in their own country.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    I think I'm going to p*ss myself laughing.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

The deal being proposed is basically lifted from the existing Switzerland-EU treaty. I mean it's almost identical.

How is Switzerland doing these days?
    Pretty well, but probably having to accept freeish movement from the EU.
    How much freeish? I mean really, given their rules.
    It's notable that the headlines for the supposed mobility framework only reference the ability to apply for study and work but not any apparent mechanism for the economically inactive (e.g. Retirees) to do exercise those rights.

So it looks like Brits will lose their right to retire in Spain or France - what we have tended to use it for - but EU nationals will be able to study and work here and probably be able to bring mum and gran over to live too under the extended family unification scheme we agreed to uphold before?

So Brits lose out in net terms again - as the bulk of the FOM our citizens have exercised is for retirement to sunnier climbs not work or study.

Brits will still be able to retire to Spain and France. My parents retired to Spain (Canary Islands) in the mid 1960s. You will need to get a 'Residencia' and show your passport on entry / exit, but it's no big deal.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Tim_B said:

Brits will still be able to retire to Spain and France. My parents retired to Spain (Canary Islands) in the mid 1960s. You will need to get a 'Residencia' and show your passport on entry / exit, but it's no big deal.

People who can afford private health insurance will be able to. Retirement to the continent will once again be the exclusive preserve of the well off British as it was until the EU.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

Andrew said:

kle4 said:

Where is the line between soft and hard brexit.

Soft = staying in the single market.
    Too many headbangers whispering voices
    Brexit on posters too many choices
    If when why what how much have you got
    Have you got it do you get it
    If so how often
    Which do you choose?
    The hard or soft option?
    Brilliant.
  • Options
    The_Mule_The_Mule_ Posts: 30
    Voted Tory at last election if this is the best they've got I'll be voting to get Corbyn in so he can screw over Tories like they've screwed over my votes.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2018
    It feels like we don't have a government at the moment and that we haven't had one for a year or so. Nor an opposition though possibly only as a consequence of not having a government. Neither does it feel like we have many friends.

It would be reassuring to have friends but it's surprising how little it matters having a non functioning government.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Roger said:

It feels like we don't have a government at the moment and that we haven't had one for a year or so. Nor an opposition though possibly only as a consequence of not having a government. Neither does it feel like we have many friends.

It would be reassuring to have friends but it's surprising how little it matters having a non functioning government.

Things seem to be ticking along quite nicely without a government.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. D, talking about the UK or Germany? :p
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. D, talking about the UK or Germany? :p

There's no government like no government.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

The deal being proposed is basically lifted from the existing Switzerland-EU treaty. I mean it's almost identical.

No welfare, no free state healthcare and very difficult even to rent a property if you are a non Swiss national unless you get the prized residency permit.

The Swiss as you might say operate freedom of movement in name only. If you aren't doing a well paid job with a long term contract and aren't therefore a clear net contributor they can make life very difficult to get a residency permit. And you must buy private medical insurance.
    Switzerland has the highest percentage of immigrants of any major European country. Half their World Cup first team were eligible to play for Kosova. It is like the much vaunted Australian points system, a place with higherper capita net migration than the UK. Such systems work because they actually let in a lot of people.
    Dura_Ace said:

Tim_B said:

People who can afford private health insurance will be able to. Retirement to the continent will once again be the exclusive preserve of the well off British as it was until the EU.
    Yes, I suspect that life will remain much the same for those of us with a good financial cushion. If May can make the Deal stick, and not have it fall apart in contact with the EU team, then BRINO will be the best option. Still not as good as having a say in the rules, but to be fair EU rules are by and large vastly beneficial and well drafted.
  • Options
    Incidentally, most amused to see the tantrum-throwing cretin Neymar (and his team, about which I'm neutral) is out of the World Cup.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    I just heard a financial journalist talking about the complexities and misunderstandings of Brexit with regard to services particularly how the single market gave us control rather than taking it away. Her points were very eruditely put and reading this 12 point plan after hearing her is like reading one of those pop-up picture books of the bible for the under 5s
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718

MaxPB said:

May won't be able to lock down dissent if the EU says no. She has basically been put in the position of telling the EU "take it or leave it - but if you leave it, there will be no deal on offer from my successor..."

Yes, she's definitely put the commission in a tough spot here, she's come across as very reasonable, facing down the ERG and uniting behind a single vision for Brexit while making it sound acceptable. There's a glaring hole in the shape of free movement, however, the commission knows that if they turn this down without any consideration or negotiation then May is gone and we really do move towards a no deal Brexit on their insistence.
    Nonsense. May will win a confidence vote unless someone in the cabinet is trying to oust her, and they’ve just proven she has the measure of them.
    No. This is the moment May and her allies forgot how weak they are. You see, pragmatic minded people believe there is a pragmatic compromise to this mess, they don’t actually understand the principles in play here. I am not just saying this, I have conclusive evidence: If this white paper comes into effect, 99% of the British will feel they ended up with change they are not satisfied with. Remember yes minister review of the papers early 80’s “daily telegraph readers believe this country is already ruled by another country”? The brexit press in 2016 and the whole leave vote based on the same sentiment. BINO does not settle that. In the ‘matter of principle’ lobby, Mogg, Benn, Foot, Field, but look what those in the pragmatism lobby have in common, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, each proud of the fact they climbed to the top of the greasy pole, but where exactly did they leave the country? In a better place?

Rejoice rejoice. The glorious 6th. When pragmatism ruled the day. Miss Pragmatism’s Finest Hour.
    But Principle? She died.
    There never was any principle. The Leave campaign that narrowly won on the false promise that you can Brexit at no cost was based on a lie, not a principle.
  • Options

Incidentally, most amused to see the tantrum-throwing cretin Neymar (and his team, about which I'm neutral) is out of the World Cup.

bloody foreigners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSqZOEZ2fU8
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Expert opinion is that the EU will turn down this proposal, but I wonder. The EU gets the win/win on traded goods where they already have a balance of trade advantage. They can help themselves to our lucrative services trade. Member states must be tempted surely?

Technically, we lose our Mode 1 trade (cross border supply - the blue bars in the chart), which become the much less valuable Mode 3 (commercial presence in territory - the green bars) or disappear. Less valuable because we lose the associated employment. That's why Mode 3 access is easy to negotiate and Mode 1 isn't.

https://twitter.com/SamuelMarcLowe/status/1015172751739555840
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, *raises an eyebrow*

Are you suggesting Neymar's ridiculous tantrums should not attract any ridicule because he isn't British?

Fail to see the relevance of a video from five years ago.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Tim_B said:

brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

It's notable that the headlines for the supposed mobility framework only reference the ability to apply for study and work but not any apparent mechanism for the economically inactive (e.g. Retirees) to do exercise those rights.

So it looks like Brits will lose their right to retire in Spain or France - what we have tended to use it for - but EU nationals will be able to study and work here and probably be able to bring mum and gran over to live too under the extended family unification scheme we agreed to uphold before?

So Brits lose out in net terms again - as the bulk of the FOM our citizens have exercised is for retirement to sunnier climbs not work or study.

Yup and Spain is now giving free healthcare to all foreign nationals regardless of status
  • Options
    F1: I was looking for something else, but happened to notice that Raikkonen has outqualified Vettel at Silverstone for the last three seasons (entire time they've been team mates).

He's 21 (23 with boost) to get pole. I think each way (third the odds, top 2) is worth a small sum. Tiny bit shorter for the race result on the same basis. Given Mercedes' reliability last time (though they've tried to account for it at least in part with a new part), that may be worth considering.

The 2.2 Mr B suggested on under 15.5 classified finishers is, I think, just about value.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Tim_B said:

Wrong - free healthcare for all foreign nationals in Spain.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

I gather you have a big business success.

Can I add my congratulations and if you'd like to give details for any PBers who didn't know.

Cheers - we were acquired yesterday. Press release here:

https://www.globebmg.com/law-business-research-combine-globe-business-media-group-create-leading-provider-legal-business-information/
    Congratulations.
  • Options
    Correction: it's fastest qualifier, not pole. Usually the same thing, but not always (cf 2012 Spanish GP).
  • Options
    felix said:

Tim_B said:

brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Yup and Spain is now giving free healthcare to all foreign nationals regardless of status
    I'm not sure how long they will be able to afford that. It's the kind of wheeze that works when there aren't many oldies but fails if there are millions.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    I don't understand whether, under this new proposal, we inherit current and new EU trade deals with third countries. Can anyone explain?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Tim_B said:

brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I'm not sure how long they will be able to afford that. It's the kind of wheeze that works when there aren't many oldies but fails if there are millions.
    Rethink on holiday insurance methinks.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Tim_B said:

brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

It was happening anyway. This just regularises it.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    The Sun appears to be leading on the footie and Love Island. Good news for May
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Are you suggesting Neymar's ridiculous tantrums should not attract any ridicule because he isn't British?

"Yeah, but, some English player dived, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

Roger's facing up to the grim reality that England have a chance of winning this.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Expert opinion is that the EU will turn down this proposal, but I wonder. The EU gets the win/win on traded goods where they already have a balance of trade advantage. They can help themselves to our lucrative services trade. Member states must be tempted surely?

Technically, we lose our Mode 1 trade (cross border supply - the blue bars in the chart), which become the much less valuable Mode 3 (commercial presence in territory - the green bars) or disappear. Less valuable because we lose the associated employment. That's why Mode 3 access is easy to negotiate and Mode 1 isn't.

I am no expert, but I do not see why the EU27 will reject this out of hand. They have won and, importantly, the likes of Johnson, Rees Mogg and Davis have lost. I would not underestimate how important that is to both the Commission and the member states. From here, a No Deal Brexit starts to become politically difficult for other national leaders, too.
  • Options

FF43 said:

I am no expert, but I do not see why the EU27 will reject this out of hand. They have won and, importantly, the likes of Johnson, Rees Mogg and Davis have lost. I would not underestimate how important that is to both the Commission and the member states. From here, a No Deal Brexit starts to become politically difficult for other national leaders, too.
    Careful, you're starting to sound like a Brexiteer.
  • Options
    If Trump, on his visit next week, offers TMay a "zero tariff FTA", she needs to respond:

In keeping with our commitments to uphold international standards, the UK will maintain high regulatory standard for the environment, climate change, social and employment, and consumer protection – meaning we will not let standards fall below their current levels.

If you, Mr President, can commit the US to adhere to our standards on US exports to the UK, then you may have a deal. Come back when we've completed the deal with the EU.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Tim_B said:

brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

They say they hope that the UK government will continue to pay for pensioners as they do now.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

Ha, ha!!

No, however we leave we’ll be worse off than if we had stayed, but as we are leaving best to do it in the least damaging way possible. Given how important services are to the UK economy there will be further concessions to come, so what we end up with will be pretty much like what we have now except we’ll have less say in framing what rules we have to abide by.

• Options
    The TPP bit of the statement is interesting, despite being fanciful - to say the least. Trump pulled the US out of TPP negotiations, didn’t he?

Reading between the lines, the government has clearly realised that there are choices which cannot be avoided and that our future is more tied to Europe and Asia than to the US. If there were any rational members of Team Trump that might give them pause for thought.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    TBH i wonder if it’s ‘no resignations yet’.

Or/and no sackings!
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Almost 10,000 comments about May's Brexit plan in the Mail.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

Ha, ha!!

No, however we leave we’ll be worse off than if we had stayed, but as we are leaving best to do it in the least damaging way possible. Given how important services are to the UK economy there will be further concessions to come, so what we end up with will be pretty much like what we have now except we’ll have less say in framing what rules we have to abide by.

I was referring to your suggestion that no deal is difficult for other national leaders. Given what’s gone before, I wouldn’t count on them pressuring their EU masters to agree to what May has proposed.
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, didn't chicken used to be chlorinated in the UK a few decades ago? Isn't there chlorine in tap water? Aren't some fruit/veg washed in chlorine (cabbage/lettuce, I think)?

[Not convinced with the need for a trade deal with the US, but the chlorine line just seems weird to me].
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

Ha, ha!!

I was referring to your suggestion that no deal is difficult for other national leaders. Given what’s gone before, I wouldn’t count on them pressuring their EU masters to agree to what May has proposed.

In the end, the Commission will do what it’s told. I would not underplay the importance of the humiliation and emasculation of the Cabinet Brexiteers. Symbolically, that is the EU’s equivalent of blue passports. These things matter.

• Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    There's my biggest Brexit worry, I thought there was a chance we would trash our standards for the USA's benefit. Although not completely out the woods yet.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, didn't chicken used to be chlorinated in the UK a few decades ago? Isn't there chlorine in tap water? Aren't some fruit/veg washed in chlorine (cabbage/lettuce, I think)?

[Not convinced with the need for a trade deal with the US, but the chlorine line just seems weird to me].

It's not the chlorination that's the problem. It's the need for the chlorination.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Roger's facing up to the grim reality that England have a chance of winning this.
    It is not Roger who has been banging on about laying England this past fortnight.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So we found out overnight which proposal the EU get to reject?
  • Options

There's my biggest Brexit worry, I thought there was a chance we would trash our standards for the USA's benefit. Although not completely out the woods yet.

Yep - probably the biggest and most significant part of what has happened is that a Tory government has decided to tie the UK’s future to Europe and trying to get closer to Asia; both of which mean we cannot move closer to the US.

• Options

Flourine is in tab water in some areas. Not chlorine!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

Ha, ha!!

In the end, the Commission will do what it’s told. I would not underplay the importance of the humiliation and emasculation of the Cabinet Brexiteers. Symbolically, that is the EU’s equivalent of blue passports. These things matter.

Yes, May has finally understood the importance of agreeing informally with the EU first and then presenting it to the cabinet rather than the other way round.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Almost 10,000 comments about May's Brexit plan in the Mail.

Loons.. They walk amongst us...
  • Options

Chlorine is still in ours as it always has been. Why has it been stopped in yours?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

tlg86 said:

It is not Roger who has been banging on about laying England this past fortnight.
    England do have a chance of winning this, better than for years. But lets not get overexcited just yet - I reckon its a chance of less than 10% just yet. England definitely a lay based on the odds that are out there.
    Still, 1 i 10 chances do come off sometimes. Someone's got to win it. We can dream...
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    edited July 2018

Andrew said:

kle4 said:

Where is the line between soft and hard brexit.

Soft = staying in the single market.
    Too many headbangers whispering voices
    Brexit on posters too many choices
    If when why what how much have you got
    Have you got it do you get it
    If so how often
    Which do you choose?
    The hard or soft option?
    You voted Leave, I went remain,
    Let's lose lots of money.
    I don't like pain, you wanted a ruck,
    Let's shore up the money

Oh, there's a firm of local taxis,
    Take a card, you can dial.them
    Oh, there's a lot of cab'net resignees
    Until you try to find them

;);););) (Key change)

You voted Leave......etc.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

England do have a chance of winning this, better than for years. But lets not get overexcited just yet - I reckon its a chance of less than 10% just yet. England definitely a lay based on the odds that are out there.
    Still, 1 i 10 chances do come off sometimes. Someone's got to win it. We can dream...
    Why less than 10%?

Even assuming all clubs were equal we would have a 12.5% chance from being a quarter finalist. Based on the clubs remaining we ought to be higher than that.
  • Options

You could not be more wrong!

https://www.water.org.uk/consumers/water-and-health/faqs#chlorine
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Only if the EU buy the plan.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Is keeping services out of the deal a way of rebalancing the economy?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

It's not the chlorination that's the problem. It's the need for the chlorination.
    Which seems to me like banning chlorination is the wrong move for the wrong idea. That's like saying in a move to tackle binge drinking you'll ban drunk people from getting into taxis.

The need for chlorination is to prevent disease in humans, especially the spread of salmonella and campylobacter. European chickens on the market for human consumption have a higher prevalence of both of these than chlorine-washed American chickens do.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Might not be the last word on that fudged deal.

https://www.captiongenerator.com/1024722/Chequers-Brexit-Downfall-parody
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Is it too early to ask if Sterling has fallen?
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,353

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

Why less than 10%?

Even assuming all clubs were equal we would have a 12.5% chance from being a quarter finalist. Based on the clubs remaining we ought to be higher than that.
    FiveThirtyEight have us at 17% but I think their model badly underestimates Croatia (13%) - who I'd make marginal favourites should we both get to the semi-final - I fear for our midfield up against Modric and Rakitic. So swap those two around.

The other question is just how strong France/Belgium are - the FiveThirtyEight model offers fairly narrow differences in a straight match-up. It implies we'd win just over one in three games in the final - which isn't right if you think they're a cut above. France in particular have looked pretty unstoppable in the knockouts. So take your pick really about 10% to 17% seems about right, depending on how highly you rate the opposition (and it will obviously change if Russia beat Croatia).
  • Options
    My three-year old is in a foul temper this morning. I guess she must have been hoping for hard Brexit.
  • Options
    MJW said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

Why less than 10%?

FiveThirtyEight have us at 17% but I think their model badly underestimates Croatia (13%) - who I'd make marginal favourites should we both get to the semi-final - I fear for our midfield up against Modric and Rakitic. So swap those two around.

The other question is just how strong France/Belgium are - the FiveThirtyEight model offers fairly narrow differences in a straight match-up. It implies we'd win just over one in three games in the final - which isn't right if you think they're a cut above. France in particular have looked pretty unstoppable in the knockouts. So take your pick really about 10% to 17% seems about right, depending on how highly you rate the opposition (and it will obviously change if Russia beat Croatia).
    I reckon England v Seden is 50/50, then whoever we get in the SF I'd expect to beat us - Russia because they're at home and everything is going their way, Croatia because they're better than us - so say, 40/60, then whether France or Belgium in the final I wouldn't put England's chances at better than 30/70. Which multiplies together equals 6%, I think. I may be being a little pessimistic against Sweden, but not overly, I don't think.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,978
    Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

Russia are the weakest team left in the tournament, but have home advantage and so cannot be altogether discounted. Still I'd expect them to lose to Croatia.

Should England then beat Sweden, I think the most likely final would be Belgium against Croatia with Belgium winning it. Basically, the four semi-finalists in order of strength would be Belgium, France, Croatia, England - but the margins between them are not great, and anyone of the four could conceivably win. If they reach the semi-finals today, I'd give England a one in six chance of being overall winners.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,978
    edited July 2018
    Cookie said:

MJW said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

Why less than 10%?

I reckon England v Seden is 50/50, then whoever we get in the SF I'd expect to beat us - Russia because they're at home and everything is going their way, Croatia because they're better than us - so say, 40/60, then whether France or Belgium in the final I wouldn't put England's chances at better than 30/70. Which multiplies together equals 6%, I think. I may be being a little pessimistic against Sweden, but not overly, I don't think.
    I'd say more 60/40 for England against Sweden. The difference is we've got the 'Mark of Kane'.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Sterling has weakened a little bit overnight. It is now $1.3210 and €1.1247
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited July 2018
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

May won't be able to lock down dissent if the EU says no. She has basically been put in the position of telling the EU "take it or leave it - but if you leave it, there will be no deal on offer from my successor..."

EU may say, "Yes, but..." and around we go again.
    Indeed. However, if they reject it out of hand then the commission will be blamed for no deal and it gives the government licence to get on with a hostile Brexit which includes tax cuts, deregulation and specific country deals (bribes) service industries.
    That'll go down well.
    If they reject this deal without any negotiation I don't see that the government has any other path. It is a very fair compromise the commission must take it seriously.
    Leavers need to lose the capacity for self delusion. The EU will demand FOM, ECJ and money in return for this deal and May will agree. Who is going to stop her?
    A deal which includes all four freedoms and ECJ jurisdiction just won't make it though parliament. I know you're on the extremes but this is a reasonable deal, if the EU ask for all four freedoms, then that's just a rejection.
    If the choice is between that and WTO brexit then parliament will vote for BINO and you know it.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    For me it's

1)France
    *gap*
    2)Croatia
    =Belgium
    4)England
    =Russia
    6)Sweden

That is based on how good the teams are (taking everything into account like home adv), Belgium and France are more likely to win it all as they have less games though.

Edit: Although I am almost more worried about playing Russia in the semi's than Croatia, so maybe I'm not entirely sure myself...

• Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,353
    Cookie said:

MJW said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

England do have a chance of winning this
    Why less than 10%?

FiveThirtyEight have us at 17% but I think their model badly underestimates Croatia (13%) -
    Yeah, I think a little more optimism against Sweden puts it at around 9-10% - which I think is justified. There's little doubt the Swedes will make it very difficult for us but have also sat back and largely eschewed possession - which kind of suits our style of patient passing combined with balls into the box either from the wing-backs or set-pieces. You can see how they frustrate us into defeat, either via an error leading to a goal or penalties - but not how they'll go out and 'win' the game - which I think makes us more 60/40 than 50/50. Providing of course, the team keep their heads and keep probing rather than panic.
  • Options
    To summarise. We get continued access to n the EU's market and regulatory system for traded goods. In exchange the EU takes over a large part of our services business. Does that sound like the basis of a deal?

It satisfies our need for continuity and for the outcome to be clearly and permanently worse for us than membership, which the EU requires.
    FF43 said:

• Options
    David Herdson's new thread seems to have disappeared again.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    FF43 said:

To summarise. We get continued access to n the EU's market and regulatory system for traded goods. In exchange the EU takes over a large part of our services business. Does that sound like the basis of a deal?

It satisfies our need for continuity and for the outcome to be clearly and permanently worse for us than membership, which the EU requires.

FF43 said:

Does Green not indicate, for example, the existence of a permanent establishment (or other fixed place of residence) in the European country? In which case almost all the employment could be retained here, but the service provided wholly in the European country.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Barnesian said:

I don't understand whether, under this new proposal, we inherit current and new EU trade deals with third countries. Can anyone explain?

We don't.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298

David Herdson's new thread seems to have disappeared again.

Yes - where has it gone - disappeared like Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Could Barnier still f*ck things up? A snub now will mean he's not interested in a deal, so we leave after all?
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Does Green not indicate, for example, the existence of a permanent establishment (or other fixed place of residence) in the European country? In which case almost all the employment could be retained here, but the service provided wholly in the European country.
    I think it depends on how regulated the service is as to how much employment could be off shored. It would be something the EU would want to nail down of it does down this route.
  • Options
    if you'd asked me before the competition, I would have put England about 7th or 8th.

Germany
    Spain
    France
    Brazil
    Portugal
    Argentina
    England
    Croatia

That implies a QF exit - but of course, four of those teams were knocked out before this round, so that means maybe SF.

• Options
    Barnesian said:

dr_spyn said:

Sterling has weakened a little bit overnight. It is now $1.3210 and €1.1247
    Not according to Investing.com which quotes late on Friday night.

GBP/USD 1.3287 +0.0063 +0.48%
    EUR/USD 1.1745 +0.0055 +0.47%
    GBP/EUR 1.1310 +0.0003 +0.03%
    EUR/GBP 0.8839 -0.0005 -0.06% 0.8839 -0.0005 -0.06%
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I think it depends on how regulated the service is as to how much employment could be off shored. It would be something the EU would want to nail down of it does down this route.
    2 men and a dog, perhaps not - at least not for things like FS.

But in those industries, they could move 250 people to Dublin (the sort of move they have already made or said they will), and have an unarguably "real" place of business in the EU.
  • Options

if you'd asked me before the competition, I would have put England about 7th or 8th.

Germany
    Spain
    France
    Brazil
    Portugal
    Argentina
    England
    Croatia

That implies a QF exit - but of course, four of those teams were knocked out before this round, so that means maybe SF.

Give me Generals with luck said Napoleon, and Southgate has had some luck on the side of the draw.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Could Barnier still f*ck things up? A snub now will mean he's not interested in a deal, so we leave after all?

QTWTA is always "yes"
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Herdson's piece was interesting. Where has it gone?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Germany
    Spain
    France
    Brazil
    Portugal
    Argentina
    England
    Croatia

I would have put England below Belgium as well, but not had Croatia on my radar.
  • Options

CD13 said:

QTWTA is always "yes"
    Indeed he could but this time I suspect he'll say a more qualified no and suggest re-mixing the fudge. If he stonewalls he risks putting the EU decisively in the wrong. Interesting that both the ardent Remainers and the Hard Brexiteers are now praying for a stonewall.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

2 men and a dog, perhaps not - at least not for things like FS.

But in those industries, they could move 250 people to Dublin (the sort of move they have already made or said they will), and have an unarguably "real" place of business in the EU.
    In that case the EU won't be interested. The whole point of the deal is for the UK to get the necessary continuity and access to the EU market and regulatory system for goods in exchange for a chunk of our services business. This way the EU ensures our outcomes are clearly and permanently worse than membership, which is its real red line.
  • Options

Herdson's piece was interesting. Where has it gone?

It's still there on vanilla!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    felix said:

CD13 said:

QTWTA is always "yes"
    Indeed he could but this time I suspect he'll say a more qualified no and suggest re-mixing the fudge. If he stonewalls he risks putting the EU decisively in the wrong. Interesting that both the ardent Remainers and the Hard Brexiteers are now praying for a stonewall.
    Even Vince Cable was saying that the EU could get the blame if they are seen to sabotage the deal
  • Options
    We have two threads running - an old one on the main site and this one on Vanilla!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Ahead of tonight's game - let's remember that Russia are bezzie mates with Serbia.

Could get tasty.
  • Options

Germany
    Spain
    France
    Brazil
    Portugal
    Argentina
    England
    Croatia

I would have put England below Belgium as well, but not had Croatia on my radar.
    Modric and Rakitic, one of the best midfields in the competition, I'd only put Frances ahead of it, Pogba, Matuidi and Kante. I think Modric is probably the best CM around and as with Xavi and Spain/Barcelona having an incredible player there makes a big difference.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Oh what a glorious morning...

I am planning some tasty treats during the match this afternoon, but I needed the perfect condiment and now I have it.

The Salty Tears of Brexiteers...
  • Options
    Eh? After A50 we will have left the EU. So how is that ditching Brexit?
  • Options

Germany
    Spain
    France
    Brazil
    Portugal
    Argentina
    England
    Croatia

Modric and Rakitic, one of the best midfields in the competition, I'd only put Frances ahead of it, Pogba, Matuidi and Kante. I think Modric is probably the best CM around and as with Xavi and Spain/Barcelona having an incredible player there makes a big difference.
    Croatia would be my biggest payout, although I have laid off a little since I had at 36
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

He’s probably a bit dazed and confused. Further down the thread he says he wishes the whole thing would just go away.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    edited July 2018

I thought he was saying we should ditch Brexit because May's proposed deal is worse than leaving. However we are leaving due to the ticking clock, so just reapply.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Bang goes her chance of being the hard Brexit candidate again then, Rees-Mogg by opposing this proposed deal has now taken that slot
This discussion has been closed.