Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The fly in the ointment? How Brexit may be delayed by no deal

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,211

Elliot said:

It is but the vote was to leave. Changing May will not change the reality
    It's just astonishingly stupid. If Cameron had come back with an end to freedom of movement, the right to change our tariffs, CAP and CAF exit, and regulatory divergence in services, he would have been hailed as a hero. And now they would rather full EU membership over it?
    But May has not “come back” with anything yet.
    "First you gave the Leavers their Referendum, and then you let them win it!"
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

Sheer delight to watch Brexiters turn on one another and fulminate against May.

The problem with cake-ism is that, proverbially, it describes an impossibility. The headbangers, cheered on by idiots in the press, never grasped this common sense truth.

As Mandelson said iirc, "In the end Brexit will defeat Brexit".

May's offering is a piss-poor cousin of just being in the EU.

Real Brexit, as has now been made clear after months of attempting cakeism, involves leaving the SM and CU and complete and utter economic mess.

• Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Elliot said:

It's just astonishingly stupid. If Cameron had come back with an end to freedom of movement, the right to change our tariffs, CAP and CAF exit, and regulatory divergence in services, he would have been hailed as a hero. And now they would rather full EU membership over it?
    Ivan Rodgers gave a speech to Oxford Uni and it was published on Politico about that negotiation, the background and why Cameron called the referendum. Well worth a read. Basically the Treasury was very worried that the Eurozone would gang up on the City and damage it. This came after Camerons so called veto, which they just bypassed. What Cameron wanted was protection for the City in his negotiation, he did not care about FoM. The referendum was a threat to get the protection.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378

Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: quite the end to the race. Cheers to Mr. B for his under 15.5 finishers tip (which I shamelessly stole). The Bottas tip didn't come off. Should've suggested hedging it. Still green overall. The early Hartley DNF bet came off.

Sincerest form of flattery etc... you’re quite welcome.

I was on the motorway this afternoon, so reduced to listening to it on the radio, but pretty dramatic nonetheless. And nice to make a profit.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Elliot said:

Ivan Rodgers gave a speech to Oxford Uni and it was published on Politico about that negotiation, the background and why Cameron called the referendum. Well worth a read. Basically the Treasury was very worried that the Eurozone would gang up on the City and damage it. This came after Camerons so called veto, which they just bypassed. What Cameron wanted was protection for the City in his negotiation, he did not care about FoM. The referendum was a threat to get the protection.
    And this deal, if achieved, would get both.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

HYUFD said:

If you wish to vote LD say in a Mogg v Corbyn general election fair enough, they would probably represent your views more but clearly Mogg is gaining support with Tory Leavers

Out of curiosity, how do you think IDS would have done in a General Election? Would the public have warmed to the quiet man?
    I am astonished that HYUFD should just dismiss a fellow conservative supporter to go and vote LD's because I object to the hard Brexiteers and JRM.

I have had many years, and several election campaigns, supporting Welsh Conservative MPs, and helping them to get elected, and who would be horrified at the anti business nonsense being put forward by some and could not even imagine their reaction if they had heard a conservative Foreign Secretary suggest business should 'F..k off. That was the moment I turned against the Brexiteers, especially as my son in law and 40,000 jobs depend on Airbus, and hope that my party can survive with sensible pro business MP's and do a deal in Europe that satisfy's the referendum but is wholly business friendly. I have never voted LD and do not intend doing so anytime soon but I will fight for sanity of my party
    While being openly hostile to business is foolish the pandering to business which we have also seen is equally so.

Being business friendly and acting in the best interests of the country as a whole are not necessarily the same thing.

If big business wants to be viewed in a better light then the tax dodging, rules breaking and all other self-serving crap parts of it indulge in needs to stop.
    I absolutely agree but Airbus, Jaguar Land Rover, BMW and Rolls Royce are all iconic businesses in the UK and to attack them is just crass and the workers will not credit the party that puts their jobs under threat. I have seen the letter sent by Airbus CEO to all the workforce and it is of huge concern to the workers.
    I find it surprising that Airbus feels so confident to diminish and threaten one of its largest customers. It was reported that before there last announcement the day before they were in Government begging for more taxpayer money to subsidise their profits.
    We do not have a business friendly Government we have a Government of patsies.
    How are we a customer of Airbus. We manufacture their wings in North Wales and they are assembled in other parts of Europe.
    The UK government buys Airbus planes, Helicopters, defence equipment and satellites in very big quantities.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

The problem with cake-ism is that, proverbially, it describes an impossibility. The headbangers, cheered on by idiots in the press, never grasped this common sense truth.

T Mays proposal is cake-ism of the highest order. Explain how the EU is going to give full single market access for goods with no dosh and no FoM?
    Oh yes, I know.
    But it least nods to the awareness that once eaten, cake may be gone.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Incidentally I see all the fuds who lay on the "Where's your global warming now" when it snows are pretty quiet at the moment.

"2018 has unfortunately been a prime example of global warming’s effect on the jet stream. And northern Siberia has been getting blowtorched by heat that refuses to quit because of an ongoing blocked pattern favorable for intense heat."

https://wxclimonews.com/2018/07/02/extreme-heat-event-in-northern-siberia-and-the-coastal-arctic-ocean-this-week/
    I would kill to get the arctic winds back here in Edinburgh.
    Give it a week.....
  • Options

T Mays proposal is cake-ism of the highest order. Explain how the EU is going to give full single market access for goods with no dosh and no FoM?
    If they agree to that, then other countries e.g Italy will be queuing up for some of it.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Not sure if anyone else has done this yet, but by my reckoning according to the @DavidL method..

After last World Cup went to Poland, then back to Ger, then to RoI, then back to Poland. Scotland missed numerous opportunities to become world champions.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

And this deal, if achieved, would get both.
    No it wouldn’t. It explicitly excludes financial services so it offers no protection at all from efforts to repatriate Eurozone activities.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. B, I'm not sure if Hartley actually started. I think he did one lap. Hope my not classified (2.75) bet on him comes off.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

If you wish to vote LD say in a Mogg v Corbyn general election fair enough, they would probably represent your views more but clearly Mogg is gaining support with Tory Leavers

Out of curiosity, how do you think IDS would have done in a General Election? Would the public have warmed to the quiet man?
    I am astonished that HYUFD should just dismiss a fellow conservative supporter to go and vote LD's because I object to the hard Brexiteers and JRM.

I have had many years, and several election campaigns, supporting Welsh Conservative MPs, and helping them to get elected, and who would be horrified at the anti business nonsense being put forward by some and could not even imagine their reaction if they had heard a conservative Foreign Secretary suggest business should 'F..k off. That was the moment I turned against the Brexiteers, especially as my son in law and 40,000 jobs depend on Airbus, and hope that my party can survive with sensible pro business MP's and do a deal in Europe that satisfy's the referendum but is wholly business friendly. I have never voted LD and do not intend doing so anytime soon but I will fight for sanity of my party
    Well if you still insist you would vote Tory even under a Rees Mogg leadership that is even more reason for Brexiteers to elect Rees Mogg I would have thought?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

In the long run, whatever mess May finally makes of all this, is dead anyway:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1015944514765238272

Yesterday I moved into the 55-64 bracket. Interesting to see that demographically that's made me even more of a remainiac than I was before.
    Crappy Happy Birthday!

EDIT! Oops!
    I do hope that was a typo.

Anyway, I have paperwork to do. Have a nice weekend (what's left of it).
    I was just being silly - you will notice that my 3:49pm post has no "edit" timestamp...
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think he would have done about as well as Michael Howard did and gained seats from Labour, yes.

Although I don't think he would have beaten Blair in 2005 I think IDS would certainly have cut Blair's majority
    IDS did unexpectedly well at the ballot box before falling to plotters who probably expected wipe-out. Arguably IDS was the Tory Jeremy Corbyn -- lousy at PMQs so ill-regarded by his own backbenchers yet respected as authentic by ordinary voters putting crosses on bits of paper.
    Yes, the Tories under IDS even led a few polls against Blair's Labour and the Tories won the 2003 local elections under IDS
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think he would have done about as well as Michael Howard did and gained seats from Labour, yes.

Although I don't think he would have beaten Blair in 2005 I think IDS would certainly have cut Blair's majority
    IDS did unexpectedly well at the ballot box before falling to plotters who probably expected wipe-out. Arguably IDS was the Tory Jeremy Corbyn -- lousy at PMQs so ill-regarded by his own backbenchers yet respected as authentic by ordinary voters putting crosses on bits of paper.
    Yes, the Tories under IDS even led a few polls against Blair's Labour and the Tories won the 2003 local elections under IDS
    They replaced IDS with Howard who couldn't even win 200 seats!
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Yesterday I moved into the 55-64 bracket. Interesting to see that demographically that's made me even more of a remainiac than I was before.
    Of course if everyone voted the same at 18 as at 65 we wouldn't have had Conservative governments for most of the last century.

Those retired leavers were remainers in 1975.
    Indeed, the Tories have not won 18 to 24 year olds since 1983 and Labour have not won over 65s since 1997
  • Options
    Roger said:

I'm beginning to think Mrs May might have been extraordinarily clever. I've just had lunch with some friends and they thought Rees Mogg and Co look like loonies. Comparable to Major's 'bastards' with Rees Mogg the new Tony Marlow.

By defining the new enemy-and Rees Mogg is such a ludicrous caracature it's not difficult-May looks like the new normal.

Are these friends of yours Remain voting lefties? If so all very interesting but they would never vote Tory whoever leads the Tory Party
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well if you still insist you would vote Tory even under a Rees Mogg leadership that is even more reason for Brexiteers to elect Rees Mogg I would have thought?
    I said I would fight for the sanity of my party and the hard Brexiteers including JRM are not acceptable to me and how I vote will be determined at the time. But one thing is certain neither Boris or JRM will get my membership vote. They would destroy the party
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Thank you for posting it.

In reality, his position was the classic old Eurosceptic stance captured in the phrase “common market good; political union bad.”

Sounds a lot like May’s proposal.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Roger said:

I'm beginning to think Mrs May might have been extraordinarily clever. I've just had lunch with some friends and they thought Rees Mogg and Co look like loonies. Comparable to Major's 'bastards' with Rees Mogg the new Tony Marlow.

By defining the new enemy-and Rees Mogg is such a ludicrous caracature it's not difficult-May looks like the new normal.

The other interesting point about the 'bastards' of the 1990s is many Eurosceptics got truly hammered in 1997, they were not saved by their stand on Europe. I am thinking of Portillo, Tony Marlow, Nicholas Budgen and Michael Carttiss. I think some Tories suffered bigger swings against them because of their stand on Europe but were not defeated unlike Portillo, I can think of Theresa Gorman in that category. Europe is a fringe issue and the people within the Conservative party who are vocal on it do themselves nothing but damage.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907

Theresa May should consider getting some loyalist MPs to put letters in to the 1922 committee. She has the opportunity to cement her control of the party by winning a confidence vote convincingly then dealing with the disruptive forces from a position of strength,

That was the logic behind GE 2017 also I think...
  • Options
    F1: am I mad/sleepy, or have the official stats chaps got the Force India points wrong? They have Ocon 25, Perez 23?

It's possible I put in the points values wrong last time, but prior to the UK I had it Perez 25 and Ocon 17. Ocon scored 6 points, so he should be on 23, I think.

Hmm. Did I make an error last time? Entirely possible, but a bit odd.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They replaced IDS with Howard who couldn't even win 200 seats!
    To be fair to Howard he did gain 33 seats in 2005, 3 more than Corbyn gained in 2017
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Roger said:

The other interesting point about the 'bastards' of the 1990s is many Eurosceptics got truly hammered in 1997, they were not saved by their stand on Europe. I am thinking of Portillo, Tony Marlow, Nicholas Budgen and Michael Carttiss. I think some Tories suffered bigger swings against them because of their stand on Europe but were not defeated unlike Portillo, I can think of Theresa Gorman in that category. Europe is a fringe issue and the people within the Conservative party who are vocal on it do themselves nothing but damage.
    Europe is a fringe issue? Yet 72% turned out for the EU referendum, more than voted in any general election since 1992.

Almost a million voters voted for the anti EU Referendum Party and UKIP in 1997 too, costing the Tories a number of seats they should have held
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

Of course if everyone voted the same at 18 as at 65 we wouldn't have had Conservative governments for most of the last century.

Indeed, the Tories have not won 18 to 24 year olds since 1983 and Labour have not won over 65s since 1997
    https://twitter.com/alecemerges/status/1015883978270756864
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I said I would fight for the sanity of my party and the hard Brexiteers including JRM are not acceptable to me and how I vote will be determined at the time. But one thing is certain neither Boris or JRM will get my membership vote. They would destroy the party
    People said the same of IDS and Corbyn
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

May has done well , this weekend over Brexit.Hope it continues.
    She is starting to think , what is best for the country, and not just the Conservative Party.
    Really think - and hope - this is the end for Boris. This and Heathrow have trashed whatever credibility he had left. I can see him going down the Portillo route of seeing out his remaining years making niche documentaries: perhaps putting up a challenge to Mary Beard's position as the 'go to' on the topic of ancient Rome - and I would incline to bet that Mary would eventually come out victorious.
    Boris is more of a Constantinople man, surely?
    An Istanbullshitter
    That's not a Nicaea thing to say.

(Truthful though...)
    You need to Troy a bit harder than that. And Byzantine contortions won’t count: they are a Rum do.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

https://twitter.com/alecemerges/status/1015883978270756864
    Generally if you are in your 20s and voting Tory you are either a Tory Boy political activist or very wealthy in most cases.

If you are a pensioner and voting Labour you are likely to be either relatively poor or an ageing hippie.

The only time the Tories win the youth vote or Labour win the pensioner vote is landslide years like 1983 or 1997
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

brendan16 said:

Yes, generally - with some notable exceptions - people become more conservative as they grow older. But Leave/ Remain is not a right/ left split. Rather it's related to the more cosmopolitan world view of the younger generations, that for example, is manifest in the paradigm shifts we've seen in the changing attitudes to racial and sexual difference over the last 30 years or so.
    But in fact, many of the young Remain voters of 1975 had become Leave voters by 2016. A Remain lead of 22% among 18-29 year olds in 1975 had become a huge Leave lead among 59-70 year olds in 2016.
  • Options
    F1: post-race analysis of an exciting race, with a little of the unseemly aftermath too:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2018/07/uk-post-race-analysis-2018.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Europe is a fringe issue? Yet 72% turned out for the EU referendum, more than voted in any general election since 1992.

Almost a million voters voted for the anti EU Referendum Party and UKIP in 1997 too, costing the Tories a number of seats they should have held
    The EU referendum became a proxy vote for many other things, most notably immigration.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

She is starting to think , what is best for the country, and not just the Conservative Party.
    Really think - and hope - this is the end for Boris. This and Heathrow have trashed whatever credibility he had left. I can see him going down the Portillo route of seeing out his remaining years making niche documentaries: perhaps putting up a challenge to Mary Beard's position as the 'go to' on the topic of ancient Rome - and I would incline to bet that Mary would eventually come out victorious.
    An Istanbullshitter

(Truthful though...)
    You need to Troy a bit harder than that. And Byzantine contortions won’t count: they are a Rum do.
    I've told ya once, Anatolia again, geography puns aren't funny.
  • Options
    Roger said:

One of the most interesting moves May made was to appoint two successive heads of the ERG to ministerial posts until they elected Jacob Rees-Mogg. Perhaps she actively wanted a pantomime villain as the figurehead of the hardline Brexiteers?

May has definitely been much more cunning than most people have given her credit for.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Maybe it is not a fringe issue to you given your posts but it was very fringe in 1997 and where it did take precedents in that campaign it was very negative for Tories (I know you claim to have voted Remain but I don't believe you given your posts and the knee jerk defence of Brexit - You treat the issue with the zealotry of a Rees Mogg despite its utter unravelling.). The election in 1997 was primarily based on Tory sleaze and I well remember the persistence of people like Neil Hamilton making a defeat into a rout. I voted Tory in 1997 just for the record.

I don't think you can use Referendum turnout to support your case, it was just another election and the turnout was roughly the same at the subsequent GE. Europe is an issue to a hard core elite in the Tory party but it has not been a pertinent issue to say 90% of the electorate. I find it irritating that you keep representing votes like mine in the 2017 GE for the Tories as supporting Brexit as well, I know many people who always vote Tory who do not support Brexit and voted Tory in 2017.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968
    Sean_F said:

brendan16 said:

Yes, generally - with some notable exceptions - people become more conservative as they grow older. But Leave/ Remain is not a right/ left split. Rather it's related to the more cosmopolitan world view of the younger generations, that for example, is manifest in the paradigm shifts we've seen in the changing attitudes to racial and sexual difference over the last 30 years or so.
    But in fact, many of the young Remain voters of 1975 had become Leave voters by 2016. A Remain lead of 22% among 18-29 year olds in 1975 had become a huge Leave lead among 59-70 year olds in 2016.
    The 1975 vote followed a much more measured and considered debate, largely based around what would be best for the economy. The 2016 leave vote was, as Mr Meeks has observed many times, largely founded on an appeal to xenophobia. It has consequently polarised much more sharply those who found that objectionable against those who didn't.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

The EU referendum became a proxy vote for many other things, most notably immigration.
    And Blair's failure to impose transition controls played a part in that too
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sean_F said:

brendan16 said:

What percentage of 18-29 year olds voted in '75 Vs 59-70 years old in 2016?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

brendan16 said:

The 1975 vote followed a much more measured and considered debate, largely based around what would be best for the economy. The 2016 leave vote was, as Mr Meeks has observed many times, largely founded on an appeal to xenophobia. It has consequently polarised much more sharply those who found that objectionable against those who didn't.
    Actually, public opinion shifted very heavily against EU membership for a long time after 1975. The public became rapidly disillusioned with membership. By 1979, polls had opposition to membership running at 2/1.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Maybe it is not a fringe issue to you given your posts but it was very fringe in 1997 and where it did take precedents in that campaign it was very negative for Tories (I know you claim to have voted Remain but I don't believe you given your posts and the knee jerk defence of Brexit - You treat the issue with the zealotry of a Rees Mogg despite its utter unravelling.). The election in 1997 was primarily based on Tory sleaze and I well remember the persistence of people like Neil Hamilton making a defeat into a rout. I voted Tory in 1997 just for the record.

I don't think you can use Referendum turnout to support your case, it was just another election and the turnout was roughly the same at the subsequent GE. Europe is an issue to a hard core elite in the Tory party but it has not been a pertinent issue to say 90% of the electorate. I find it irritating that you keep representing votes like mine in the 2017 GE for the Tories as supporting Brexit as well, I know many people who always vote Tory who do not support Brexit and voted Tory in 2017.
    If it was a fringe issue, it would not make and break governments, and UKIP would not have topped the poll in 2014.
  • Options
    Point missed out here is that 18-29 year olds were the LEAST likely to vote for EEC membership in '75.

In 1976 those aged over 65 a staggering 80% voted in favour of membership.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

The other interesting point about the 'bastards' of the 1990s is many Eurosceptics got truly hammered in 1997, they were not saved by their amage.

It was more a fringe issue in 1997 though still important for a significant minority, now after the EU referendum Brexit is the biggest issue in most polls alongside the NHS. I could not care less whether you disbelieve I voted Remain, I even support May's deal with reservations but that does not mean I don't respect the Leave vote.

Turnout at the 2017 general election was 68%, 4% down on the 72% who turned out at the 2016 EU referendum. A number of Labour voters voted Leave just as many Tories voted Remain, does not change the fact most Labour voters voted Remain and most Tory voters voted Leave
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    New Thread?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

An Istanbullshitter

(Truthful though...)
    I've told ya once, Anatolia again, geography puns aren't funny.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gU1x3ZMhCWw

This just can’t be beat
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Point missed out here is that 18-29 year olds were the LEAST likely to vote for EEC membership in '75.

61% of 18-29 year olds voted for Remain in 1975. 41 years on, there had been a shift of about 25% in this age cohort.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

brendan16 said:

What percentage of 18-29 year olds voted in '75 Vs 59-70 years old in 2016?
    I'm not sure, although overall turnout in 1975, at 66%, was lower than turnout in 2016. I imagine that more of this age cohort would have voted in 2016 than in 1975.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

61% of 18-29 year olds voted for Remain in 1975. 41 years on, there had been a shift of about 25% in this age cohort.
    But if they had evolved their views as they aged to be like 59-70 year olds in 1975 then they would have become more europhile not less.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294

NEW THREAD

This discussion has been closed.