Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There signs are that TMay might have to face a confidence moti

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

dixiedean said:

This is being very poorly covered. Film programme followed by Newsday from Thailand on BBC 24. Recorded interview with Jess Phillips on abortion on R5L. Does no-one do live news?
    And, no, I won't pay for SKY.

Sky news is free via free view and t’interweb.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOacA3RYrXk
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Why didn't Davis resign on Friday ?

I think we'll find he'll say he didn't wish to disrupt the Prime Minister's meeting, wanted to consider the package with time for mature reflection, etc. But it makes no sense unless he plans to lead a leadership assault. And if he does, will Boris be far behind? We can't complain that this Government is dull, can we?

The obvious replacement is Gove - generally acknowledged to be competent, came out fighting for the package yesterday, but an arch-Brexiteer. It'd be a shame for us environment/animal people as we want him exactly where he is now, but the logic looks compelling.
    Gove is dead in the water as next leader, I have not read one positive comment on him from Tory Leavers after his Marr interview this morning, they already consider him Judas. However Gove would be credible as next Brexit Secretary, agreed.

Davis has now jumped alongside Mogg as the prime alternative to May Brexit, Boris now has 48 hours to decide whether to join them or be lumped forever alongside the rest of the Cabinet to live and die with May's Brexit plan
    Wow, the World really has changed. I agree with EVERY word of an HYUFD post. Shocked, I tell you!
    Well at least we agree on something at last
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    OchEye said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps George Osborne is Charles II - the natural successor to Charles I who was dismissed with ease and fled, only he will return years down the line when the system collapses, with the help of a figure who was both an ally then an enemy of his cause.

One problem, Charles IInd was popular and likeable.

Chuka Umunna is probably more likely
    Who knows how popular Osborne might be to the dystopic times we may find ourselves in.
    Word in the Scottish press is that Salmond is working his old Banff and Buchan constituency to get elected to Westminster, yet again, at the next GE....
    That surprises me, Salmond is a busted flush in the Gordon/Banff and Buchan Westminster and Holyrood seats. I was pretty sure that he would be more likely to go Mark Mcdonald's Holyrood Aberdeen Donside seat.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Floater said:
    PS is Mike on holiday?

This seems to be the sort of thing that happens when he is away
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Not surprised Davis had resigned, it’s been a when, not if situation for a while now.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    I reckon she'll appoint Raab to Cabinet.

But maybe Gove to Brexit, Raab to replace Gove.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Could Davis be the one George Osborne was referring to when he wrote about someone considering breaking ranks and arguing for EEA+CU?
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Endgame for May's premiership?

I think May is finished.
    Oh well never mind
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I'll be disappointed if letters aren't going in to the 1922 Committee. Time to sort this out one way or another. Settle the issue.
    GIN1138 said:

Why do it at gone 11pm on a Sunday evening?

Why not wait until the morning when the media are better equipped to cover your flounce?

An even bigger name is resigning in the morning...
    Mrs May if we are lucky

Could Davis be the one George Osborne was referring to when he wrote about someone considering breaking ranks and arguing for EEA+CU?

AHAHAHAHHA

No.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    Mike’s not holiday until September.

I am however on a holiday from writing PB threads during July.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    She could appoint the Minister for the Civil Service to the role?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

This is being very poorly covered. Film programme followed by Newsday from Thailand on BBC 24. Recorded interview with Jess Phillips on abortion on R5L. Does no-one do live news?

Sky news is free.
    Not on Freesat.
    What ancient moving picture box are you using that doesn’t have freeview digital tuner built in? Nor YouTube app.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    edited July 2018
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Endgame for May's premiership?

I think May is finished.
    I thought that at 11pm on Friday night.

Either May and her deal is finished. Or the Tory Party is finished.

Con MP's will have to decide.
    Is Boris trying to work out which side of this line he needs to be on again ?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

The resignation comes as Mrs May prepares to face the House of Commons and then Tory MPs and peers on Monday to discuss her Brexit plan.

Mrs May is expected to tell MPs that the strategy agreed on by the cabinet at Chequers on Friday is the "right Brexit" for Britain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44761056

And the opposition will, quite rightly, state that if it is so right how come said agreement by the Cabinet didn't even last the weekend.

Perhaps Corbyn will be PM by this christmas after all. More likely than May at any rate.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Davis' resignation has the side-effect of making Boris look even more pathetic by comparison

Bloody slacker....
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    At this rate we'll end up with a Gove-ment of national unity. An ultra Brexiter will not command a majority in the Tory party, let alone the house.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,842
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Sky news is free via free view and t’interweb.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOacA3RYrXk
    Did not know it was free via the Web. Ta. Have JRM on R5L now.
    Something about the timing of this makes it feel like DD is a defender of the May deal, not an opponent, and something has gone wrong for the PM.

Financially, I hope not, but...

I doubt Davis would tell Osborne his inner-most thoughts given they can't stand the sight of each other. :D
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Perhaps the Tories must now split. A leadership contest will be held, and the supporters of the losing candidate won’t follow the new leader.

History doesn’t repeat, but it rhymes...

Davis' resignation has the side-effect of making Boris look even more pathetic by comparison

It's not particularly difficult. Perhaps Boris is the morning resignation with a leadership challenge thrown in for good measure ?

Something about the timing of this makes it feel like DD is a defender of the May deal, not an opponent, and something has gone wrong for the PM.

How does that work?

This will certainly blow open whatever the real strategy has been all this time. May's smoke and mirrors was too clever by half.

Bloody slacker....
    Two weddings, a romantic break, and maybe a World Cup final featuring England during the weekends of July.
    edited July 2018

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sky news is free.
    Not on Freesat.
    What ancient moving picture box are you using that doesn’t have freeview digital tuner built in? Nor YouTube app.
    Rural. Hilly. Aerial problems. Loooong story. Although admittedly haven't checked for 5 years. Happy with FreeSat...till now.
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2018
    GIN1138 said:

If Suella Braverman goes then we truly are without hope.
    I assume Braverman and Baker will go with him?

Don't worry, May can appoint Clarke, Grieve and Soubry to staff the Brexit department!

On a serious note, who can she appoint? She will look ridiculous if she appoints Remainers and not sure any Leaver would take the job (or would look utterly ridiculous if they did).

Gove would probably do it (little weasel that he is)
    And yet Gove has proved time and again that he is a far more effective and competent Minister than either Boris or David Davis. He should have been given Brexit or FO right at the start of May's premiership.

Sounds even madder than @Williamglenn last theory about Osborne and Davis. Has he (Davis) published his resignation letter yet ?
    edited July 2018
    Number Ten will be trying to spin this for all it's worth to make it seem like Davis is unreasonable.

Personally I think this has all been pre-arranged since last week and they'll be more resignations in the morning (from Boris and maybe others) but we shall see.
    RoyalBlue said:

How does that work?
    I know DD has been sidelined, basically ineffective, but this resignation is not (all other things being equal) a resignation on the deal, which would have been Friday, but perhaps where we go from here.
    Pulpstar said:

Sounds even madder than @Williamglenn last theory about Osborne and Davis. Has he (Davis) published his resignation letter yet ?
    I'm not suggesting that Davis told Osborne personally. Osborne could have just sensed which way the wind was blowing and was trying to stir the pot.
    edited July 2018
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sky news is free.
    Not on Freesat.
    Rural. Hilly. Aerial problems. Loooong story. Although admittedly haven't checked for 5 years. Happy with FreeSat...till now.
    I rarely watch over the air tv these days. Pretty much everything is via t’interweb stream.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Gove won't take the job unless Remainer Robbins is sacked. There's no way he will be undermined on that manner as Davis was.
    Good to hear Laura has a personal line to the Prime Minister.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    Piss poor man-management as much as anything. May has treated Davis with contempt for months. Whether he deserved that or not is beside the point; she should have know it was likely to lead to his resignation, and that his resignation could prove fatal to her premiership. When you're weak, you cannot afford to act like you have a majority of 150.

twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1016098266654674949?s=20

From the same source who was being a twat about taxis?
  • Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    RoyalBlue said:

Perhaps the Tories must now split. A leadership contest will be held, and the supporters of the losing candidate won’t follow the new leader.

I think it's an absolute certainty that they'll split. They're not only facing in different directions but pulling strongly in different directions.
    May could double down and abolish DExEU. Given that we're not really leaving it won't be needed.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    This is a civil war in the party and will not end well. I have no idea whether TM will surviive but a Brexiteer as PM will see the markets crash and chaos generally, resulting in a move to stay in the EU
    Now is the time for Boris to resign, Fox as well.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    What sort of mixed metaphor is that? Surely a puff of smoke would blow away like a puff of smoke -- why bring dandelions into it?

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Sky news is free.
    Not on Freesat.
    I rarely watch over the air tv these days. Pretty much everything is via t’interweb stream.
    You are conversing with a man who ran out of credit on his mobile in April, mind.
    edited July 2018
    MaxPB said:

Gove won't take the job unless Remainer Robbins is sacked. There's no way he will be undermined on that manner as Davis was.

Don't be so sure. I read something about Gove having a "high regard" for Robbins "intellect" the other day.

Gove is a snake. He'll do whatever's in his own best interest.
    RoyalBlue said:

I expect that there will be a leadership contest. And I expect that the Party will unite around the new leader.
    edited July 2018
    Davis will give a “bland, matter of fact critique” of Mrs May’s failings rather than “savage her” but will not shy away from saying that she has not been carrying out Brexit in the right way.

One minister claimed that he did not resign on Friday because he was “dumbfounded” by the approach of other Brexiteers who fell into line behind the prime minister, notably Michael Gove. The environment secretary is likely to be a particular target of some Brexiteer MPs, along with Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary. The resignation may embolden Brexiteer backbenchers with concerns about Mrs May’s leadership.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/cabinet-in-crisis-as-davis-resigns-rwwfb5bhm

May could double down and abolish DExEU. Given that we're not really leaving it won't be needed.

For the first time William, I think you may be right. I can only see this ending Brexit once and for all
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    RoyalBlue said:

Maybe this time the members might actually get a vote. If May had actually been exposed to a proper campaign for the leadership for 2 months against Leadsom people might have seen what a rubbish campaigner she was before the 2017 election disaster unfolded.
    Looking co-ordinated. Wouldn't be surprised to see DD leave politics altogether. He is 69.
    I think May still has support amongst the silent majority of Tory MPs. She should tell the European Research Group (Who don't seem to do much research on Europe) to put up or shut up.
    edited July 2018
    The Conservatives are about to become the party of Fuck Business?

Piss poor man-management as much as anything. May has treated Davis with contempt for months. Whether he deserved that or not is beside the point; she should have know it was likely to lead to his resignation, and that his resignation could prove fatal to her premiership. When you're weak, you cannot afford to act like you have a majority of 150.
    The Tories have to make a choice about what Brexit to go for. They have put it off far too long in some impossible hope that the party could avoid a confrontation on the issue. Resignations at that point woukd be inevitable.

It might be fatal to her premiership, but that cannot move forward until they make a damn decision already, and that could not happen without some people going.

RoyalBlue said:

I expect that there will be a leadership contest. And I expect that the Party will unite around the new leader.
    At least he didn’t resign late Friday night.
    That feeling where you could have gone to bed, but decided to check the news just once more. Arse.
  • PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited July 2018
    If there is a leadership election it has to be clear that there is no route to a clean break Brexit which does not pass through the chaos of NO DEAL. In addition, the open border policy in Ireland will have to be repudiated, along with the Irish backstop.
  • archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

I'll be disappointed if letters aren't going in to the 1922 Committee. Time to sort this out one way or another. Settle the issue.

It won't settle the issue. The reason that we had a referendum is that politicians could not represent (or even understand) the majority view of the nation. So the fact that Remainers are a majority in all major parties is not really the point. Leave won the referendum and Remain have to accept that they cannot dictate terms from the position of defeat.

The only way that the issue can be settled is for Remain to accept they lost and allow the Leavers to implement Brexit. Otherwise, the Tory party cannot survive.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

RoyalBlue said:

Who do you think that might be?
    Jonathan said:

That feeling where you could have gone to bed, but decided to check the news just once more. Arse.

Just can’t go tonight bed without knowing the lastest love island gossip?
    PeterC said:

If there is a leadership election it has to be clear that there is no route to a clean break Brexit which does not pass through the chaos of NO DEAL. In addition the open border policy in Ireland will have to be repudiated, along with the Irish backstop.

It is perfectly possible to have an open border in NI covered by MaxFac. But yes, the backstop needs to go.

I predict that the MOST damaging part of the DD resignation is that he will confirm that he told May never to agree to the NI backstop and that Robbins agreed to it without his agreement.
    Pulpstar said:

I think May still has support amongst the silent majority of Tory MPs. She should tell the European Research Group (Who don't seem to do much research on Europe) to put up or shut up.

I don't think she has. The issue for MPs backing May is that they know she'll try and dig in to run in 2022 if she wins, few to no MPs trust her to run in 2022. If she is challenged then she will go because every MP is going to be looking at their majority and thinking back to 2017.

That's what I've been saying as well...

All of the stuff on Friday abvout people having to call taxi's if they resign. Terrible. Just terrible.

She's been taking the piss. Not only at Brexiteers but at the 17.4m who voted Brexit (the vast majority of them Conservatives voters and members)

Which would be OK (well it wouldn't be OK but it would be survivable) is she had a majority of 150... Unfortunately she doesn't even have a majority...

The only way that the issue can be settled is for Remain to accept they lost and allow the Leavers to implement Brexit. Otherwise, the Tory party cannot survive.

There is no agreement on what Brexit is, that's the problem.
    Jonathan said:

The Conservatives are about to become the party of Fuck Business?

Boris comment turn me completely off the Brexiteers and if he got anywhere near leader I would resign

RoyalBlue said:

Who do you think that might be?
    If only Gove had kept his mouth shut, it might have been him. Zero chance now.
    edited July 2018
    . Deleted as source not reliable.

Jonathan said:

Love island and Gove Island.

Davis will give a “bland, matter of fact critique” of Mrs May’s failings rather than “savage her” but will not shy away from saying that she has not been carrying out Brexit in the right way.

One minister claimed that he did not resign on Friday because he was “dumbfounded” by the approach of other Brexiteers who fell into line behind the prime minister, notably Michael Gove. The environment secretary is likely to be a particular target of some Brexiteer MPs, along with Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary. The resignation may embolden Brexiteer backbenchers with concerns about Mrs May’s leadership.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/cabinet-in-crisis-as-davis-resigns-rwwfb5bhm

To be "dumbfounded" by Gove's duplicity...how innocent...is politics the best career for this individual?
    GIN1138 said:

Why not wait until the morning when the media are better equipped to cover your flounce?

No - if there was and organised plot, Davis would have resigned around 8-9pm, in order to hit the morning papers and the 10pm news slots without giving No 10 much time to respond. Resigning so late is rotten PR tactics. I'd say that he's acting alone, not for the first time.

That said, immense pressure now on Boris, Fox and the rest to follow up. Especially Boris, given what was leaked. Interesting question, mind, as to who leaked it. Boris had nothing to gain from that but nor did May. The natural assumption is that it was a different Brexiteer, possibly one who had his or her eye on the leadership and certainly one who wishes harm on Boris.
    edited July 2018
    Has he written two different ones over Sunday lunch?
    edited July 2018

RoyalBlue said:

Why? There does not seem support across a majority for what the Rees Moggs of the world want either. Surely someone new takes over and the fight just begins again. It's not like if may wins, or someone who backs the deal, that Mogg and co will suddenly be supportive of it.

The party needs to split. It no longer has common cause on the fundamental issue of the day. If the sides cannot agree on a middle way, and they self evidently cannot, they should stop pretending.

I’m not sure about that account.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Jonathan said:

I was just listening to the LBC phone in on the way home in the car at about 11.45pm. Then it was announced and within 5 minutes Iain Dale was on the line outlining details of his conversation with David Davis ten minutes before and confirming he would be interviewing the ex Brexit Secretary on his drive time show tomorrow afternoon.

LBC have also confirmed JRM is doing the Nick Ferrari breakfast show tomorrow morning.

• The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Why? There does not seem support across a majority for what the Rees Moggs of the world want either. Surely someone new takes over and the fight just begins again. It's not like if may wins, or someone who backs the deal, that Mogg and co will suddenly be supportive of it.

The party needs to split. It no longer has common cause on the fundamental issue of the day. If the sides cannot agree on a middle way, and they self evidently cannot, they should stop pretending.
    Agreed.
    edited July 2018
    SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

Tmay has to go. Fuck her and her weird aspergery hand movements. She is a walking disaster. She is (inter alia) a victim of her own autism. All those red lines so soon? What An Idiot.

Elect a Hard Brexit leader. If it is No Deal Brexit we will cope. We have seen worse. We survived the fucking Blitz. Let the nation unite around Harry Kane and rhubarb crumble.
    SeanT goes overnight from backing the Great May Brexit fudge to backing Davis and Mogg full hard Brexit.

SeanT dithered between Remain and Leave before eventually going for Leave.

Leave narrowly won. On Brexit as SeanT goes so goes the nation?
    edited July 2018
    Shades of Thatcher in Paris in 1990.

Another 28yr anniversary.
    dixiedean said:

To be "dumbfounded" by Gove's duplicity...how innocent...is politics the best career for this individual?
    And now coward is added to why he didn't resign earlier. He did know the deal was bad but was too surprised others said it was ok that...he allowed it to go out in all their names as being ok.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

GIN1138 said:

one who wishes harm on Boris.
    That doesn’t narrow the field much...

GIN1138 said:

No - if there was and organised plot, Davis would have resigned around 8-9pm, in order to hit the morning papers and the 10pm news slots without giving No 10 much time to respond. Resigning so late is rotten PR tactics. I'd say that he's acting alone, not for the first time.

That said, immense pressure now on Boris, Fox and the rest to follow up. Especially Boris, given what was leaked. Interesting question, mind, as to who leaked it. Boris had nothing to gain from that but nor did May. The natural assumption is that it was a different Brexiteer, possibly one who had his or her eye on the leadership and certainly one who wishes harm on Boris.
    I expect Boris will resign as well making TM position untenable requiring her to resign and a proper leadership election take place. Pleased I am not going abroad as the pound is likely to tank.

Politics - never fails to amaze - and who is going to look after Trump
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Why? There does not seem support across a majority for what the Rees Moggs of the world want either. Surely someone new takes over and the fight just begins again.

Not really, there are probably about 20 remainer ultras, 20-30 remainer-lites (think May/Hammond), 50-60 Brexit-lite (think Javid) and another 60-80 Brexit-ultras. The rest are somewhere in between and biddable.

GIN1138 said:

I expect Boris will resign as well making TM position untenable requiring her to resign and a proper leadership election take place. Pleased I am not going abroad as the pound is likely to tank.

Politics - never fails to amaze - and who is going to look after Trump
    Prince Phillip
  • Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438

Boris comment turn me completely off the Brexiteers and if he got anywhere near leader I would resign

My sincere respect to you for that.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Just got off a plane. I’ve not missed much, have I? :D
    edited July 2018

That Boris statement must surely be a resignation statement if verified? In which case a confidence vote is very likely this week I would have thought
    edited July 2018
    RobD said:

Some bird with big tits fancies a lad with an 8-pack on love island*...other than that nought going on.

* could be total fake news as love island is not viewed in the urquhart household.
    edited July 2018
    kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

There is no middle way. That is the whole problem. We stay a satrapy of the EU to protect our economy at the price of meaningful independence, or we go for freedom whatever the cost.
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Why? There does not seem support across a majority for what the Rees Moggs of the world want either. Surely someone new takes over and the fight just begins again.

Not really, there are probably about 20 remainer ultras, 20-30 remainer-lites (think May/Hammond), 50-60 Brexit-lite (think Javid) and another 60-80 Brexit-ultras. The rest are somewhere in between and biddable.
    The point is the ultras on either side prevent anything from happening. The pretence that all of them can be made happy has led to the incompetent dithering and can kicking we have seen.

Until they tories fight this out they cannot move on. Whether enough is left to move on after the fight remains to be seen.
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    brendan16 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Maybe this time the members might actually get a vote. If May had actually been exposed to a proper campaign for the leadership for 2 months against Leadsom people might have seen what a rubbish campaigner she was before the 2017 election disaster unfolded.
    Problem with that argument is that it would have shown what a poor campaigner Leadsom was. She was only throwing her hat in the ring for a future contest. I don't think she expected to get to the final 2 and wisely backed out as soon as she could.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

RobD said:

Some bird with big tits fancies a lad with an 8-pack on love island...other than that nought going on.
    For God’s sake man put a spoiler alert on things like that. :o
    To sum up. TMay tried to stamp her authority. She found she didn't have any. She hasn't since last June.
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Love island and Gove Island.
    Boris Island?

GIN1138 said:

Actually, waiting to resign was a great move. Anything yesterday would have been drowned out by the World Cup and would have played into May's 'taxi' narrative. It would also have looked impulsive. Now he can claim he considered it, asked for clarifications from May and when they were not forthcoming he resigned. They have clear press air Monday and Tuesday and May has to face the 1922 tomorrow. That should be fun.
This discussion has been closed.