Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There signs are that TMay might have to face a confidence moti

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    matt said:

fitalass said:
    And look at the comments underneath, especially the third one that takes on each of TM's points.

I suspect that most party members will agree with DD's letter more than May's.
    Conservative voters are more than Conservative members. Although nihilists like Mogg and Brigden seem to prefer virginal purity.
    Nihilism is a word that isn’t used enough in the context of Brexit. That’s spot on.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    DD the flouncer strikes again. So many threats i wonder why it really had to be now - I wonder if it was feedback from the wider party on the Chequers Deal that persuaded him to break cover.

Surely needs to be a confidence vote in May now? Win or lose, the leader then needs to get a proposition - anything - through the commons that can survive contact with the EU negotiation team. If not, we really do need another general election or referendum given the existential nature of Brexit for our national standing. Sorry Brenda from Bristol.

And just a thought - is it just me who starts to feel that June 23rd 2016 was a long time ago now? There has been so much since, the original mandate feels like it is fading away now.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    Various Twitter sources saying Lord Callanan has also resigned. He'll be the fourth of the five DexEU ministers to go if true.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

This is being very poorly covered. Film programme followed by Newsday from Thailand on BBC 24. Recorded interview with Jess Phillips on abortion on R5L. Does no-one do live news?
    And, no, I won't pay for SKY.

Sky news is free.
    Not on Freesat.
    It is.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Quick question for the PB brain's trust:

Worst case scenario happens and government falls.
    General election in August? (When I, and everyone else, is on holiday) Is that possible in 'modern' times, or would we have a long campaign to see us to September?

Oh, I wouldn't describe that as worst case scenario at all.

September is only six weeks away from the end of the parliamentary session. Party conferences could be scrapped and a mid September election would put a new government in place in time for the October EU summit. Job done, let's see what Starmer can do.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Mother fucker, I passed up that resign by end of 8th July bet.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

RoyalBlue said:

Thank you - my party are in crisis and I will not support any hard Brexiteers

In the end this looks like a peoples vote is inevitable as is staying in

Good for you. I honestly take no pleasure in seeing your party in such a state. I used to be a mainly Conservative voter myself until I switched to the Lib Dems and I still have a lot of respect for many of the Conservatives on the more liberal wing of the party. If I had to choose for one of the big two parties to implode/self-destruct it wouldn't be the Conservatives.

Maybe it was inevitable but if we go full on hard Brexit I will resign
    If that’s your view, you’d probably be more comfortable in the Liberal Democrats.
    Is that the polite Tory way of saying why don't you F___off and join the Tories then?
    I think Moggites will soon join Corbynites in telling a lot of their Remainer and Blairite MPs to F off and join the LDs
    It would appear that it has begun already.
    Remainers = Blairites?
This discussion has been closed.