Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Davis quits possibly making a challenge to TMay more lik

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    55m55 minutes ago

UK, Survation poll:
    EU membership referendum

by household income per year

max. £19,999 | REMAIN 45%, LEAVE 55%
    £20,000 - £39.999 | REMAIN 44%, LEAVE 56%
    £40,000+ | REMAIN 65%, LEAVE 35%

Field work: 7/07/18
    Sample size: 211 + 278 + 278"
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:
    Max not a good look especially in advance of your wedding.
    What's his wedding got to do with anything ?
    Championing a potentially misogynist sentiment in advance of your own wedding (assuming he is marrying a woman) is I don't think well-judged.
    Does what he said really constitute misogyny?
    I think insulting women because they are women can be seen as misogynist.
    Was he insulting women because they are women?
    He was insulting feminists many of whom are women. People of course dismiss feminism out of hand without thought of the principles behind it like drunk Ukippers even some on here.
    Many Conservatives are women. If someone insults Conservatives does that mean they're insulting women?
    Yeah good hair to split. Even Theresa slapped him down but to you lot he's doing a-ok.
    I never said he's doing a ok. I just thought your logic was awful.

That's a judgement on you. Not Theresa or anyone else.
    Yes you are right. Insulting women, or applauding it, is great prep for a life of wedded bliss.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Scott_P said:

Andrea Leadsom on DP

"The British public knew exactly what they were voting for"

This isn't Brexit

"I don't agree"

If Brexiteers can't agree if this is Brexit or not, how the fuck can they claim we knew what we were voting for?

It's a damn shame the Referendum voting form didn't spell out in some small print at the bottom what 'Leave' vote meant e.g. exit EU, SM, CU.
    Blame Cameron
    No. Cameron wanted us to remain. It was up to leave to decide what 'leave' meant (and means). Something they're singularly incapable of doing.
    Cameron made enough Tories believe he could back Leave that they felt betrayed when he didn't. His mismanagement of the whole issue is at the root of this.
    Indeed it is. History will not be kind to him, and rightly so. He bequeathed an impossible legacy to May, who managed to make it worse, but even someone with the wisdom of Solomon and the leadership skills of Moses would have struggled to reassemble the shattered fragments of party and national unity that Cameron left in his wake.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

brendan16 said:

CD13 said:

"The EU referendum shows how the sovereignty of Britain's people can now trump its Parliament," Vernon Bogdanor.

Didn't this bloke teach Cameron?

And based on this deal the EU and ECJ will trump both parliament and the sovereignty of the British people. Accept their rules or face the consequences!
    Well yes, that's how international trade agreements are enforced. For all of Brexiteers' enthusiasm for "out own trade deals" they don't seem to understand the basics...
    Rubbish. You show that you know nothing of trade deals. Most come with joint arbitration panels or ISDS services. The EU are trying it on with ECJ jurisdiction and they know it, unfortunately they also know there are enough enablers such as yourself who are ready to sell out our nation.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,243
    AndyJS said:

Federer wins the first set 6-0 against Mannarino in 16 minutes.

I have a feeling he may end up being Champion again...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

He bequeathed an impossible legacy to May, who managed to make it worse, but even someone with the wisdom of Solomon and the leadership skills of Moses would have struggled to reassemble the shattered fragments of party and national unity that Cameron left in his wake.

With hindsight, that was the mistake.

the party should have split after the referendum, as it looks likely to do now
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    MaxPB said:

brendan16 said:

CD13 said:

"The EU referendum shows how the sovereignty of Britain's people can now trump its Parliament," Vernon Bogdanor.

And based on this deal the EU and ECJ will trump both parliament and the sovereignty of the British people. Accept their rules or face the consequences!
    Well yes, that's how international trade agreements are enforced. For all of Brexiteers' enthusiasm for "out own trade deals" they don't seem to understand the basics...
    Rubbish. You show that you know nothing of trade deals. Most come with joint arbitration panels or ISDS services. The EU are trying it on with ECJ jurisdiction and they know it, unfortunately they also know there are enough enablers such as yourself who are ready to sell out our nation.
    They're not trying it on when measured against our asks which go well beyond a typical trade deal. We want frictionless trade, which is well beyond what an FTA would give us.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    MaxPB said:

Away from Brexit for a minute, there was an interesting poll conducted in Germany which put the CSU as a national option and CDU as a separate option to Bavarian voters. The result was not good for the CDU, FDP or AfD in particular.

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article177800264/Umfrage-CSU-wuerde-bei-Trennung-von-CDU-bundesweit-zweitstaerkste-Kraft.html

It was carried out last month.

CDU 22
    CSU 18
    SPD 17
    Left 12
    AfD 11
    Green 10
    FDP 6

I think the threat from Merkel to run candidates in Bavaria if the CSU do try and split off would easily be matched with a CSU threat to run candidates nationally, then it's anyone's game as to who becomes the larger party at the next election. There's also no workable coalition if CSU run nationally, they, AfD and the FDP probably have the most in common in terms of migration, EU scepticism and lower taxes, but they wouldn't have enough to make it over the line without the CDU or SPD. On the other side a grand coalition with the CDU and SPD would not work either, and including the greens in there to get the numbers would be the death of the CDU as a major force in German politics as voters desert them for the CSU.

Definitely one to keep an eye on, hopefully INSA make this a regular poll.

CSU were always the Bavarian branch of the CDU/CSU coalition, so I'm surprised that teh CSU doesn't come higher in this poll.
    "According to German Federal Electoral Law, members of a parliamentary group which share the same basic political aims must not compete with one another in any federal state.[3] The CSU contests elections only in Bavaria, while the CDU operates in the other 15 states of Germany. The CSU also reflects the particular concerns of the largely rural, Catholic south"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDU/CSU
  • Options
    edited July 2018

AndyJS said:

I wish I'd put a bet on Federer and Serena Williams winning the titles, the same as 15 years ago amazingly.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

Scott_P said:

Andrea Leadsom on DP

This isn't Brexit

"I don't agree"

If Brexiteers can't agree if this is Brexit or not, how the fuck can they claim we knew what we were voting for?

It's a damn shame the Referendum voting form didn't spell out in some small print at the bottom what 'Leave' vote meant e.g. exit EU, SM, CU.
    Blame Cameron
    No. Cameron wanted us to remain. It was up to leave to decide what 'leave' meant (and means). Something they're singularly incapable of doing.
    Cameron called the Referendum:

[Vilos Cohaagen voice] "First you gave the Leavers their Referendum, and then you let them win it!"
    Your point being?
    Er, Blame Cameron, as pointed out above?
    No. Blame leavers. Cameron had no choice but to call a referendum due to leavers' constant stropping and the resultant threat of UKIP. It was also, IMO, the right thing to do: the EU had changed so much that people needed to be given a say.

But leave failed, and continues to fail, to come up with something workable. That isn't Cameron's fault.

You're a leaver. Blame yourself for this mess, not Cameron.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    MaxPB said:

Polruan said:

Scott_P said:
    Presumably Boris has to choose between resigning now and looking as if he’s been bounced into it, or crossing his fingers that he’ll have a plausible opportunity to flounce on ‘principle’ when the next betrayal comes along, thereby redeeming himself as the hero of all true Brexiters.
    That sounds about right, I think he has until the end of the working day to figure out whether he wants to cling on at the FCO for another few months or have a go at the top prize though. There won't be another chance as good as this to bring May down. Davis has opened the door for him.
    If he doesn’t go today, Boris will end up as impotent as David Miliband when he failed to resign with James Purnell back in 2009.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,480
    Scott_P said:
    Call another vote on Heathrow; he'll be there PDQ.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Andrea Leadsom on DP

This isn't Brexit

"I don't agree"

Blame Cameron
    Cameron called the Referendum:

[Vilos Cohaagen voice] "First you gave the Leavers their Referendum, and then you let them win it!"
    Your point being?
    Er, Blame Cameron, as pointed out above?
    No. Blame leavers. Cameron had no choice but to call a referendum due to leavers' constant stropping and the resultant threat of UKIP. It was also, IMO, the right thing to do: the EU had changed so much that people needed to be given a say.

But leave failed, and continues to fail, to come up with something workable. That isn't Cameron's fault.

You're a leaver. Blame yourself for this mess, not Cameron.
    Me? Are you kidding? Hey, I was with you all the time! That was beautiful! Did you see the way the Leavers fell into our trap? Ha Ha!
  • Options
    Surely not turning up for a COBRA meeting is a serious oversight?
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

MaxPB said:

brendan16 said:

CD13 said:

They're not trying it on when measured against our asks which go well beyond a typical trade deal. We want frictionless trade, which is well beyond what an FTA would give us.
    If you want free trade, what point is there in deliberately adding friction? Yet that is what you seem to think is logical for the EU.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    AndyJS said:

There are reports that he is in the meeting, but nobody saw him leave his house or enter Whitehall
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Scott_P said:
    Very odd - has he overslept?

Maybe he can't find his ministerial car and is trying to find the number for Aston's taxis!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    AndyJS said:

Has he gone to Kabul?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I wish I'd put a bet on Federer and Serena Williams winning the titles, the same as 15 years ago amazingly.
    Wow, that’s quite the statistic. Where’s all the new talent, if the oldies are still winning tournaments?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    CD13 said:

Didn't this bloke teach Cameron@Charles?

Without comment
  • Options
    Brexit is turning Britain into Belgium: two blocs that will never agree with each other.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

One imagines his security detail might be in a little trouble if they’ve managed to lose him!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Charles said:

CD13 said:

Without comment
    It's ironic really that this will be proven by the people overriding a binding decision by parliament to leave the EU. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Wow, that’s quite the statistic. Where’s all the new talent, if the oldies are still winning tournaments?
    On the men's side in particular there seems to be a paucity of young talent.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797
    Boris is going to walk.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

CD13 said:

Without comment
    It's ironic really that this will be proven by the people overriding a binding decision by parliament to leave the EU. ;)
    There’s not going to be a second referendum
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    AndyJS said:

Brexit is turning Britain into Belgium: two blocs that will never agree with each other.

At least 3 blocs: the largest one being those who want to remain in the EU, and 2 or more blocs who want to leave the EU but won’t accept the other bloc’s/blocs’ approach to it. If in doubt, the British approach would be to go with the plurality, so remain it is.
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    Brexit thickies everywhere today
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,458
    edited July 2018
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:
    Max not a good look especially in advance of your wedding.
    What's his wedding got to do with anything ?
    Championing a potentially misogynist sentiment in advance of your own wedding (assuming he is marrying a woman) is I don't think well-judged.
    Does what he said really constitute misogyny?
    I think insulting women because they are women can be seen as misogynist.
    Was he insulting women because they are women?
    He was insulting feminists many of whom are women. People of course dismiss feminism out of hand without thought of the principles behind it like drunk Ukippers even some on here.
    There seems to be some confusion here between "feminists" and "women".

The most recent large scale research for the Fawcett Society I am aware of found that 91% of women refuse to be called "feminists".
    https://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/News/we-are-a-nation-of-hidden-feminists

I'd venture that may be because they don't like obnoxious bigots, which is how many of the more prominent feminists come across.

Reading the piece, Raab seems to be aiming his remarks at the tiny minority, and possibly an even tinier teeny-tiny minority within that tiny minority.

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    AndyJS said:

Except when it comes to the football.
This discussion has been closed.