Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PaddyPower clearly doesn’t understand the CON leadership rules

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    dixiedean said:

I reckon Boris is going to do one at least one of the following

1) Urge the ousting of Mrs May

or

2) Quit politics, heard for years that he's missing the £250k a year gig at the Telegraph.

Is that still open though? Are people hanging on the every word of an appalling FS and his latest bollocks?
    As a conservative I am ashamed by Boris Johnson's recent actions and we are well rid of him
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    currystar said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:
    This is so right, its either May's deal or No deal
    No Deal is better than May's deal.

Don't take our word for it, take May's. Was it not May herself who said "No Deal is better than a bad deal"?

Losing all say in the EU's rules but being forced to take the rules still is the worst of all worlds. It is worse than Remaining, it is worse than Leaving in full. It pleases nobody and is not what anyone sane would ever want as an end state. It is quite patently a bad deal.

Did May mean it or was she just a self-serving vacillating liar when she said that "No Deal is better than a bad deal"?
    It could be that she knows that the EU will never accept anything other than what they want, hence she can say that it is the EUs fault that No Deal that has happened and that she has done all she can
    If that were the case she ought to be doing more to prepare for a backstop of No Deal.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    AndyJS said:

Anazina said:

The Conservative Party are an utter shambles – a national embarrassment. Please, someone make it stop.

If only Labour had a decent electable leader...

Where's David Miliband when you need him.
    A Miliband electable???
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    There has been a lot of "No Deal" chat put about in interviews with Brexiters.. "we could go to WTO with no problems..>". On Pienaar, DP, etc. It is certainly a narrative that is gaining exposure.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    Allies of Gove want Gove? Erm?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709

dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

OMG. Just heard Boris has gone. It's all out war now!

The government is collapsing.
    No it is not
    You must admit it is giving a reasonable impression of so doing.
    A cull of the Brexiteers is needed
    Not necessary, they're culling themselves.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

brendan16 said:

I do despair at the level of debate....old Fat head was banging on about chlorinated chicken as the reason why we can't Brexit / do a deal with America.

There are lots of reasons why there are lots of complications, but this nonsense on chlorinated chicken is just bollocks. When he was called on it, that we already have products that are chlorinated, but he said but the public are resistant to it....well you massive muppet, the public simply won't buy it will they.

We coat our kids in chlorine everytime they go swimming. Not sure why it's any worse for chicken?
    I believe the claim is that they have to be chlorinated because the quality of meat / animal welfare standards aren't as high as in the EU.

I believe in the power of the market, if people don't want object to eating it, it will have to be clearly labelled where it comes from and so people can simply just not buy it.
    Only if it is allowed to be labelled, the US wants it not to be.

Brexite era leaving the sinking ship, but May likely to survive methinks.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

Allies of Gove want Gove? Erm?
    Was thinking more of the idea of Gove as Foreign Secretary
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Anazina said:

The Conservative Party are an utter shambles – a national embarrassment. Please, someone make it stop.

If only Labour had a decent electable leader...

Where's David Miliband when you need him.
    A Miliband electable???
    Even Ed looks good in current company.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Boris is a shit of the highest order.

I wonder if future generations get to write an essay on how David Cameron killed the Conservative party ?
    He tried to save it until he was betrayed by the shits/Leavers.
    guffaw

he wrecked it,

he turned out to be not very good at being PM,
    or at party management
    or at negotiating with the EU
    or at constitutional reform

really he just sat in the chair and spent his political capital on crap. I mean who talks about Leveson today ?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,298
    Yes, Boris's plan now will be to out-Mogg Mogg - he'll wrap himself in tweed, start smoking a curly pipe and sing 'There'll always be an England'. Sadly, that's the only constituency that will still be taking him seriously. It's a terrible decline.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Don't worry, Gavin Williamson is at the despatch box. Everything must be okay.
  • Options

I wonder if future generations get to write an essay on how David Cameron killed the Conservative party ?
    How was he betrayed by Leavers?

If you give people a choice to Remain or Leave then Leavers are going to back Leave. That's not betraying, its following his wish for people to have a choice.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Brexit is now dead in any meaningful sense. The UK will either withdraw article 50 completely or accept vassal status and stay in all the EU economic structure with no say in the political structure.
  • Options

Brexit is now dead in any meaningful sense. The UK will either withdraw article 50 completely or accept vassal status and stay in all the EU economic structure with no say in the political structure.

Do you welcome that?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370

How was he betrayed by Leavers?

If you give people a choice to Remain or Leave then Leavers are going to back Leave. That's not betraying, its following his wish for people to have a choice.
    Wait for Dave's book.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited July 2018
    So the biggest beast in the Brexiteer jungle, the Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has resigned from the Cabinet and the hard Brexit battalions in the Tory ranks are massing for an all out assault on May and her Great Brexit Fudge led by Generals Boris, Davis and Mogg.

It looks highly likely there will be a confidence vote and it is not now impossible Boris could be PM by the end of the summer. Personally though I think May will scrape a victory in a confidence vote it will be a vote just leaving her on probation until the end of the transition period and no longer
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

On a more/less serious note (depending on your outlook) - I have to say that I'm not really looking forward to helping out in a GE campaign during such hot weather if it comes to that... :/

When I last looked at the forecast last week there was thought to be a good chance that the hot weather would come to an end by the start of August.
  • Options

'The Strange Death of Tory England'
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Roger said:

Great statement by Chuka. My guess is a General election followed by the re-run of the referendum. Followed by Remain with a large majority. Someone just asked if Boris wasn't taking a principled stance!!!!!!!!

It's the way he tells 'em....

Your guess on all three points will be wrong.

The Conservatives still have a majority with the DUP and neither side has an interest in risking that right now. How does an election come about?

Even if there was an election and Labour won, why would Corbyn agree to a second referendum, and with what questions?

All polling points to two deeply divided camps with a few floaters. Neither side would win by a large majority; either side could win.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Expect Brady to announce a Tory leadership election by the end of the day.

Confidence motion comes first I think.

TM has to lose a confidence vote.

Today we are witnessing the end of the Brexiteers. It is either May's way or remain
    That's definitely not true. It's the May plan or No deal. If the party puts any kind of remain on a ballot paper we'll be out of power for a generation.
    Parliament as a whole may
    How? There's no majority in Parliament for a rerun. It would have to be a government sponsored bill and a three line whip to tie the party to it. We'd have to own putting remain back on the agenda, and we'd pay for it. 17.4m people voted to leave, a majority of them our own supporters. I don't know how we could ever campaign if we put remain on a ballot paper, our party would be finished, and rightly so.
    Let us see - anything could happen

The Foreign Ministers at the West Balkans Conference have been desserted by Johnson and they are furious not least because Johnson arranged it.

He has shamed our Country and needs to leave Parliament altogether
  • Options
    LordOfReasonLordOfReason Posts: 457
    Fair play to Davis and Boris, at least a couple of the Brexiteers has some balls.

May’s toast. What finished her is the bloody difficult woman tag. I lived through the seventies and eighties, and she ain’t no Maggie Thatcher. May is nothing. The embarrassing way she and her team have tried to,spin her as tough leader over the weekend just brings home to everyone of her MPs that she is not PM materiel, hasn’t been from the moment she got the job. When did she demonstrate any command of detail? Three key elections in three years, what campaigning immpression did she leave on them? What are her core beliefs she returns to to avoid just blowing in the wind on a day to day basis? If you are going to be a bloody difficult woman you have to be bloody good at it, tell a minister they are moving in a reshuffle they move, not tell you otherwise and stay put. You have to Turn up to leader debates and tough grillings, and stamp yourself and your policy on it. If you don’t lead like that, you are not leading at all. Her ministers are unsackable becuase she’s too weak to sack or even control them now.
    Whatever their persuasion on Brexit, whatever wing of the party they are from, this week the tory MPs will vote on the fact this government needs to negoatiate robustly with the EU now, strong on detail and sense of direction, which they all know they won’t get if May and her Turd Way fudge limps on. For the nations sake They cannot vote negatively this time just to block someone else, they need to crown a PM whose grasp of detail and leadership skills are priministerial standard.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

dixiedean said:

or

2) Quit politics, heard for years that he's missing the £250k a year gig at the Telegraph.

Is that still open though? Are people hanging on the every word of an appalling FS and his latest bollocks?
    As a conservative I am ashamed by Boris Johnson's recent actions and we are well rid of him
    As a non-Conservative I agree. Lazy, ill-informed and undiplomatic. An embarassment to the nation.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

your problem is you assume we had a say - the infamous influence.
    - most of the voters just laugh at the concept.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    Scott_P said:
    He can hardly complain since he wasn't at a conference the UK was hosting with him as host - 'Where's Boris'?
  • Options
    stodge said:

NO-ONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE PM. IT IS NOT 1990.

IF THERE IS A 'LEADERSHIP CHALLENGE', IT IS VIA A VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE. THERE IS NO OTHER CANDIDATE NEEDED.

IF THE PM WINS, SHE REMAINS PM.

IF SHE LOSES, SHE CANNOT THEN STAND IN THE LEADERSHIP ELECTION.

HOW MANY BLOODY TIMES!?

Capital letters notwithstanding, what kind of support level does May need in the No Confidence Vote to survive ?

Technically, it's 50%+1 but you and I both know that wouldn't be anywhere near enough.

Obitus Sum Me (love the name) reminded me May got 199 in the 2016 ballot and I pointed out Major got 212 in the 1995 ballot (which was 2/3 of the Parliamentary Party).

I think May could survive if a third of the Parliamentary Party didn't support her but not any more - what do YOU think (oh dear, I'm doing the capitals now!)

I agree with your assessment. She'd need to keep opposition to double figures.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2018
    Foxy said:

brendan16 said:

I do despair at the level of debate....old Fat head was banging on about chlorinated chicken as the reason why we can't Brexit / do a deal with America.

There are lots of reasons why there are lots of complications, but this nonsense on chlorinated chicken is just bollocks. When he was called on it, that we already have products that are chlorinated, but he said but the public are resistant to it....well you massive muppet, the public simply won't buy it will they.

We coat our kids in chlorine everytime they go swimming. Not sure why it's any worse for chicken?
    I believe the claim is that they have to be chlorinated because the quality of meat / animal welfare standards aren't as high as in the EU.

I believe in the power of the market, if people don't want object to eating it, it will have to be clearly labelled where it comes from and so people can simply just not buy it.
    Only if it is allowed to be labelled, the US wants it not to be.

Brexite era leaving the sinking ship, but May likely to survive methinks.
    Lets say that actually occurred, and British meat is labelled with the red tractor...and then the public who care about it, buy red tractor labelled meat (as many people already do for that exact reason).

My point was, in the grand scheme of things, where FTA are massively complex and huge amounts of negotiations, Boulton banging on about chlorinated chicken as an absolute killer reason why it couldn't possibly do a FTA with US or anywhere else is just nonsense.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

dixiedean said:

or

It's always about the Tory party with some on here,I am beginning to think this party should die off.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    So it all turns now on how opportunistic Corbyn will be.

He has it in his hands, with not impossible turns of events, to form the next government but will he betray his long-held principles?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

May needs to show her inner Corbyn :>

Quite so. If Corbyn can see off over half the PLP, May can shrug off Boris.
    Corbyn is (1) in opposition; (2) in a party where power ultimately relies on membership support, not MP support.

May is not.
  • Options
    An adult needs to phone Brussels and mutually agree that A50 clock is suspended.

Perhaps the Queen could have a quiet word?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Lol, you wish. If anything we're marching to no deal brexit by the minute. The clock is still running and the crew are abandoning ship because the captain has spotted an iceberg and changed direction to aim directly for it.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The interesting question is whether Govey in his new guise as party loyalist can stand against Theresa. If he does I fear nightmare scenario. He wins

Tory members now consider Gove Judas, he has near zero chance of replacing May
  • Options
    She looks quite relaxed. Monkey off her back?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Just got back from a weekend away with no internet connection. Did I miss anything?
  • Options
    MPs openly laughing at May in Commons now.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    We do not deserve such men of principle.

https://twitter.com/ZacGoldsmith/status/1016326867350097920
  • Options
    Roger said:

Great statement by Chuka. My guess is a General election followed by the re-run of the referendum. Followed by Remain with a large majority. Someone just asked if Boris wasn't taking a principled stance!!!!!!!!

It's the way he tells 'em....

You wish, polls are virtually identical on Brexit to where they were pre referendum and 2/3 of Westminster constituencies voted Leave
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    somebody had to type that for Jess Philips, some of those words have more than two syllables
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Just got back from a weekend away with no internet connection. Did I miss anything?

Just the usual from this government.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

You missed our in-depth analysis of Love Island last night, other than that, not much else.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. 565, yeah, Hamilton and Wolff are very sore losers and made unseemly comments after the British Grand Prix.
  • Options
    This is all my fault.

I told Mike I was taking a break from PB during July and I didn't expect much to happen until October.

#NeverTakingAHolidayAgain
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Scott_P said:
    He can hardly complain since he wasn't at a conference the UK was hosting with him as host - 'Where's Boris'?
    Bone idle, irresponsible, self-serving.

Has there ever been a worse Foreign Secretary in the modern era?

What an absolute lumpen chump Boris is.

I feel genuinely sorry for Theresa having to deal with these dickheads.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Good!
  • Options
    Wishful thinking. How does she 'dump' something she got the cabinet to agree to?

According to David Davis 'by two to three to one'?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2018
    No one will blame Theresa for this. It is just ambition run wild Boris and co make Major's bastards look civilised. After learning the rules from David I can't see May being turfed out. Much more likely Boris and co sink without trace.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922
    The UK government is a better one for not having Boris Johnson in it.
  • Options
    She must have some pre-agreement with Barnier.

This is too confident.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803

dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

No it is not
    The Brexiteers are representing 17.4m people who WON the referendum.
  • Options

Is that a spoof account?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

No it is not
    And want the Norway model.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    "Melanie Phillips
    ‏Verified account @MelanieLatest

I’ve said it before: draft Farage. Sack May, give Farage a peerage, make him party leader and PM – at least until UK really does properly leave the EU.
    Too fanciful? Desperate times need desperate measures; public faith in democratic process now in danger"
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

This is too confident.

we're heading for soft brexit
  • Options

Is he serious?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    Bone idle, irresponsible, self-serving.

Has there ever been a worse Foreign Secretary in the modern era?
    None springs to mind. Ma Beckett may not have been inspiring but was a 'safe pair of hands' and Miliband may not have been as clever as he thought he was (India) - but none come remotely close - heck - even Fox would be an improvement.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

No it is not
    No they are not. Few voted to lose their jobs. You are getting carried away. Hard Brexit is over
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922
    TOPPING said:

So it all turns now on how opportunistic Corbyn will be.

He has it in his hands, with not impossible turns of events, to form the next government but will he betray his long-held principles?

Corbyn needs mass deselections first.

• Options
    Do all the PB Brexiters now see how NI is driving substantially all our proposed EU settlement?
  • Options

The UK government is a better one for not having Boris Johnson in it.

It is like a breath of fresh air
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yougov has Mogg beating all comers amongst Tory members, Davidson, Hunt, Gove, Javid, Williamson, Boris, Mourdaunt, Mogg beats them all.

If he wants it and could get to the membership Mogg will be the Tory Corbyn it now seems

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/07/09/leave-voting-conservative-party-members-are-starti/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    TOPPING said:

This is too confident.

Hopefully that is the case.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Is he serious?
    If you're Zac Goldsmith, presumably pretty much anyone you know seems principled by comparison to yourself.
  • Options

This is all my fault.

I told Mike I was taking a break from PB during July and I didn't expect much to happen until October.

#NeverTakingAHolidayAgain

nothing much is happening

a few twats are prancing about Westminster, but the real action is on Love Island and the Football
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    At 6:32am I noted :

"Question for the day : What is larger - The number of Italian governments that have held the UK's accession treaty or the hours left before Boris resigns from the Cabinet ?"

So Boris wins that one. Hopefully his own win for many years to come .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    HYUFD said:

Yougov has Mogg beating all comers amongst Tory members, Davidson, Hunt, Gove, Javid, Williamson, Boris, Mourdaunt, Mogg beats them all.

If he wants it and could get to the membership Mogg will be the Tory Corbyn it now seems

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/07/09/leave-voting-conservative-party-members-are-starti/

I wouldn't trust the polls in a scenario where JRM has a small dovted following and the others will build their constituencies accordingly
  • Options
    TM needs credit for her confident manner at the Dispatch Box. When has any PM been under such pressure
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Four more out.

That's boys in Thailand, not Tory cabinet resignations.
  • Options
    Nobody in the chamber is listening properly to this. Their heads are spinning.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Do all the PB Brexiters now see how NI is driving substantially all our proposed EU settlement?

No

its just a big red herring.
  • Options
    Runners up are Javid and Davidson who beat all opponents bar the Moggster

• Options
    O/T

Russian fans to support England after pro-Ukraine utterance by Croatian player.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/09/russian-fans-back-england-croatian-stars-glory-ukraine-chant/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Johnson has gone

Gone? Loopy? Was that before or after his resignation
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Do these resigning minsters, these dim witted MPs, actually understand the real-life consequences of there being no effective arrangement? Is it anything more than a game to them? I hope that their precious virginal sovereignty tastes like ashes.
  • Options

TM needs credit for her confident manner at the Dispatch Box. When has any PM been under such pressure

Churchill at various stages during WWII?

John Major shortly after the IRA tried to murder him?
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

I fear it rather underlines the Maybot tag... unexcitable with good news, unemotional amid turmoil.

She needs to find some fight PDQ if she's thinking of hanging around.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

No it is not
    No they are not. Few voted to lose their jobs. You are getting carried away. Hard Brexit is over
    Wrong, we valued our sovereignty and independence and freedom, and we were prepared to accept the short to medium term hit on our economy , for the long term gains brexit would eventually bring once we have managed to unshackle ourselves from the EU prison and make ourselves competitive in the world again
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

This is too confident.

Well ironically if May survives today then in a sense like the old saying that "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" [not true] today's resignations will put the EU on alert not to keep demanding more. Had Davis etc rolled over this weekend then Barnier would likely have continued demanding more and more, at least someone has finally stood up and said enough is enough.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    TOPPING said:

This is too confident.

If that's true and no further changes are made, then it's a fairly good deal. I'd be on board for it. Just hope I don't get shipped out to work in Luxembourg or Tallinn with a few, err, dozen others!
  • Options
    Boris beats Hunt, Williamson and Mourdaunt but loses to Davidson, Mogg, Javid and Gove (but remember this was taken before he resigned and Gove stayed in the Cabinet)
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited July 2018
    GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

No it is not
    That was a awful statement from big G.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

No

Nope.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

No it is not
    Wrong, we valued our sovereignty and independence and freedom, and we were prepared to accept the short to medium term hit on our economy , for the long term gains brexit would eventually bring once we have managed to unshackle ourselves from the EU prison and make ourselves competitive in the world again
    Dream on
  • Options
    May is getting laughed at
  • Options
    Boris may actually have called this right. When EU rejects May's third way Chequers garbage, his No Deal might actually look like a viable alternative, at least to many backbenchers.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

TOPPING said:

No

It really isn't.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    She keeps saying "agreed by the Cabinet". Given this morning's resignations she has a different definition of "agreed" to most people...
  • Options
    I see it's still us as customs agents.
  • Options

Most captains as they go down with the ship
  • Options
    She is getting laughed at a lot.
  • Options

Thatcher shortly after the IRA tried to murder her? [Albeit at Conference not the Dispatch Box]
This discussion has been closed.