Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PaddyPower clearly doesn’t understand the CON leadership rules

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,639

Sean_F said:

Priti Patel is the new Foreign Secretary.

There was a time when releasing false information which might affect betting was a red card offence.

There's nothing on any of the news / social media sites?
    May has just said she'll be making an announcement shortly as she's been in the house for most of the afternoon.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Anorak said:

brendan16 said:

I do despair at the level of debate....old Fat head was banging on about chlorinated chicken as the reason why we can't Brexit / do a deal with America.

There are lots of reasons why there are lots of complications, but this nonsense on chlorinated chicken is just bollocks. When he was called on it, that we already have products that are chlorinated, but he said but the public are resistant to it....well you massive muppet, the public simply won't buy it will they.

We coat our kids in chlorine everytime they go swimming. Not sure why it's any worse for chicken?
    NEWSFLASH: Man hospitalised after drinking four pints of shampoo. "I don't understand. I wash the kids with this every night."
    We drink chlorine every single day.

https://www.water.org.uk/consumers/water-and-health/faqs#chlorine
    For crying out loud. It doesn't mean we should wash chicken in it. We should be moving towards less food processing, not more. Well reared free-range chicken doesn't need chlorine on it. The reason they chlorinate chicken is because it is utter shite.
    Not so much husbandry as slaughterhouse practice. There is a lot of faecal contamination because of the rate of slaughter lines in the USA. Coordination is to kill off surface contamination, so that microbiological tests are passed. It does not deal with deeper contamination.

One of the good things about May's proposal is that the EU will continue to regulate our food standards.
    Although (as Nick I am sure will confirm) British animal welfare standards are higher than in the EU
    No problem with UK ones being higher, the objection is allowing in lower standards US chicken.
    we allow lower standards in from Poland, Italy the Netherlandswhy arbitrarily pick on the yanks
    Because theirs are lower still.

based on what evidence ?

you don't have millions of yanks dying from food poisoning any more than you do millions of Europeans . When you go to the states are you saying you don't eat ?

or should we stop eating UK food if Sweden proves to have higher standards ?
    Obesity?

Everything always bigger in the USA.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    AndyJS said:

Former Swedish PM:

"Carl Bildt
    ‏Verified account @carlbildt

Tragic to see how the UK is lost in the post-referendum chaos. This used to be a nation providing leadership to the world. Now it can’t even provide leadership to itself."

But David Cameron said that Ed Miliband would bring a ‘coalition of chaos’ and only he offered competence....
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Sean_F said:

Where is John McEnroe to call out: "You cannot be serious"
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114

The Ultras don't need a H of C vote.

Just drop out of the EU without a deal other than WTO terms.

'A deal other than WTO terms' doesn't exist. This is the point I keep repeating. There's a massive confusion between leaving with literally no deal - which is unthinkable, since the economy and much else besides would just stop - and agreeing a deal whereby we have an orderly transition to WTO terms. But the latter still requires a deal with the EU.
    £40 billion - or a discount thereto - should still get that.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I think Fox will leap ship next. Much as he's disliked by many here that is probably fatal for May.

The one resignation that would kill off May now would be Javid.....
    Yes, one question that would kill her off is asking her to confirm whether or not EU citizens will get special treatment wrt to immigration. If she gives out a non-answer or confirms that they will I think Javid walks and brings the shitshow down with him.
    I thought Javid has already said EU citizens will get special treatment if not automatic entry with a job.
    No, he wants them to have the same terms as everyone else, the PM supposedly gave her word on Friday, but that has been rowed back since. I expect that is why he is keeping very quiet at the moment.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

I hope whichever leaver becomes PM (and I reckon it will be a leaver) gets the same shitty 'loyalty' they've shown May. It's all they deserve; some of them have helped bring down three Conservative PMs over Europe.

The disloyal cannot expect loyalty.

And where does this all end up? A Corbyn government ...

Disloyalty?

Theresa May was threatening her Cabinet with humiliation in order to force them to agree to her deal on Friday...

I said it wouldn't end well for her.
    As I said in the last reply, that was hardly the start of it, was it? Though it may be the end.

A leaver PM is going to have awful troubles within the party - and they'll deserve it, too. I'm quite looking forward to it. Major, Cameron and May all damaged or brought down by the same group of people within the party.
    And probably will not be able to rely on votes from across the floor as May has.
    Precisely. As our great and much-lamented former Chancellor wisely said, the golden rule of politics is that you have to be able to count. Where on earth are the ultras going to find 320+ votes in the Commons for a Brexit harder than that Theressa May is aiming for?

Then they'll be swinging from the lampposts within three days of the supermarkets running out of food.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited July 2018
    I think Theresa will win but her majority will be so small that her position will be untenable.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

'A deal other than WTO terms' doesn't exist. This is the point I keep repeating. There's a massive confusion between leaving with literally no deal - which is unthinkable, since the economy and much else besides would just stop - and agreeing a deal whereby we have an orderly transition to WTO terms. But the latter still requires a deal with the EU.
    .. which the HoC has to approve.

Do keep up!
  • Options
    Meanwhile Putin and Trump are going to have a good laugh at what they have done.
  • Options
    It would be a first if a minister resigns by posting a twitter message whilst sitting on the front bench.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

Pulpstar said:

I think Fox will leap ship next. Much as he's disliked by many here that is probably fatal for May.

Agree. From watching the exchanges - and tenor - from the Conservative side, I now believe May will win the no confidence vote with a sufficient majority to continue. But Javid quitting would be the end.
    He's also been suspiciously quiet other than to voice his support of Davis and Boris. I think he knows he's about to get stitched up on EU citizen rights because May can't be trusted to keep her word. If Gove were smart he'd be talking to Javid right now about bringing May down with a double resignation just before the first editions. They both broadly favour the deal and could retain almost all of it as a ticket with a remainer/leaver in 10/11.

It's what I would be thinking in Gove's place anyway, it gets him into a key role in the government, he backs the winner and he gets to shape Brexit as he wants it.
    That looks very astute.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Anorak said:

brendan16 said:

I do despair at the level of debate....old Fat head was banging on about chlorinated chicken as the reason why we can't Brexit / do a deal with America.

There are lots of reasons why there are lots of complications, but this nonsense on chlorinated chicken is just bollocks. When he was called on it, that we already have products that are chlorinated, but he said but the public are resistant to it....well you massive muppet, the public simply won't buy it will they.

We coat our kids in chlorine everytime they go swimming. Not sure why it's any worse for chicken?
    NEWSFLASH: Man hospitalised after drinking four pints of shampoo. "I don't understand. I wash the kids with this every night."
    We drink chlorine every single day.

https://www.water.org.uk/consumers/water-and-health/faqs#chlorine
    For crying out loud. It doesn't mean we should wash chicken in it. We should be moving towards less food processing, not more. Well reared free-range chicken doesn't need chlorine on it. The reason they chlorinate chicken is because it is utter shite.
    Not so much husbandry as slaughterhouse practice. There is a lot of faecal contamination because of the rate of slaughter lines in the USA. Coordination is to kill off surface contamination, so that microbiological tests are passed. It does not deal with deeper contamination.

One of the good things about May's proposal is that the EU will continue to regulate our food standards.
    Although (as Nick I am sure will confirm) British animal welfare standards are higher than in the EU
    No problem with UK ones being higher, the objection is allowing in lower standards US chicken.
    we allow lower standards in from Poland, Italy the Netherlandswhy arbitrarily pick on the yanks
    Because theirs are lower still.

based on what evidence ?

you don't have millions of yanks dying from food poisoning any more than you do millions of Europeans . When you go to the states are you saying you don't eat ?

or should we stop eating UK food if Sweden proves to have higher standards ?
    Obesity?

Everything always bigger in the USA.
    I thought us and the paddies have now supersized to US standards with much of Europe waddling fast to overtake us.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Did anyone get on that 10/1 on Boris resigning today? Great money for anyone brave enough. Surely TM needs a confidence vote now, or her authority is shot beyond belief?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,284
    Foxy said:

If May wins a leadership challenge, then she gets year. If she loses, does the new leader also get a year, or are they in peril from day one?

If she loses we have a full campaign for a new leader with two candidates eventually being put to the membership. This could take all summer
  • Options
    Foxy said:

If May wins a leadership challenge, then she gets year. If she loses, does the new leader also get a year, or are they in peril from day one?

No, if she wins she will dig in until 2022. I don't see how she can be unseated before then if she gets party backing.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, one question that would kill her off is asking her to confirm whether or not EU citizens will get special treatment wrt to immigration. If she gives out a non-answer or confirms that they will I think Javid walks and brings the shitshow down with him.
    I thought Javid has already said EU citizens will get special treatment if not automatic entry with a job.
    No, he wants them to have the same terms as everyone else, the PM supposedly gave her word on Friday, but that has been rowed back since. I expect that is why he is keeping very quiet at the moment.
    Don't put your hopes on Javid, he showed his principles were for sale when the referendum came
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Her U-Turn when Boris becomes PM is going to be a sight to behold.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    tpfkar said:

Did anyone get on that 10/1 on Boris resigning today? Great money for anyone brave enough. Surely TM needs a confidence vote now, or her authority is shot beyond belief?

I got 7/1 (on anyone going), which was good news for me. The bad news was the Paddy limited me to half a Pret sandwich.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    tpfkar said:

Paddy allowed me £1.25 on #someone else' going at 7s.
  • Options

Do keep up!
    Food stops, lack of medicine stops the NHS, foreign holidays stop. Name me an MP that would want to be attached to that?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

There was a time when releasing false information which might affect betting was a red card offence.

There's nothing on any of the news / social media sites?
    It's on Politicalbetting.com

So it must be true.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think Theresa will win but the result majority will be so small that her position will be untenable.

How do you know her majority. Out of 316 I would expect her to get over 200
  • Options
    surby said:

Meanwhile Putin and Trump are going to have a good laugh at what they have done.

yes Germany is in even more of a mess than we are.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    I expect we're can look forward to assorted headbangers on the news bulletins night after night ramping up No Deal...
  • Options

Do keep up!
    Food stops, lack of medicine stops the NHS, foreign holidays stop. Name me an MP that would want to be attached to that?
    Leo Varadkar ?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Foxy said:

If she loses we have a full campaign for a new leader with two candidates eventually being put to the membership. This could take all summer
    Why? Given the urgency, why can't they say that it's a week to whittle down candidates to 2 via a series of MP votes, then a 2 week window for postal member ballots to be returned. All done in 3 weeks and hardly abuse of process. If you're away for the full 2 weeks, nominate a proxy adddress while the MPs are voting, job done. No time for hustings & campaigns, but surely enough to get a fair vote done.

P.S. Can I say how much I've appreciated and respected your posts over recent weeks - a very insightful picture of a journey I think many people have been on.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Clear what 34% - largely Labour voters - want....
  • Options

Do keep up!
    Leo Varadkar ?
    He's a TD.
  • Options

surby said:

Germany is not facing its economy collapsing in less than nine months time.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Foxy said:

And what of the country as the Conservatives navel-gaze for months on end ?!?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited July 2018
    Confident May will win, the resignations no real impact. Boris has been exposed for what he is since Gove knifed him and his stock has fallen even lower. DD's card was marked after he called that by-election back in 2008.

Would take further resignations by people whose stocks are rising for someone to take May to one side and say it's over, you're done.
  • Options

Do keep up!
    That's precisely my point. Even if the ultras manage to find someone sufficiently out with the fairies to contemplate No Deal, and manage to persuade Tory MPs into putting this candidate in the running, and manage to persuade the party as a whole to commit suicide by voting for him or her, that still doesn't alter the fact that there will have to be a deal with the EU, that parliament will have to approve it, and that the numbers don't add up for the ultras.
  • Options
    Looking at these tweets, posted variously in this thread,

https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1016270527378452482

https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/1016324334493880320

https://twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/1016339769905897472

i think we can see a theme developing: that the rest of the world is no longer taking the UK seriously as a leading nation.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

No, if she wins she will dig in until 2022. I don't see how she can be unseated before then if she gets party backing.
    Possibly, but if opinion polls and election results show the Tories holding firm as the 2022 becomes closer, why shouldn’t she?

If the party supports slump, she’ll go or be ousted. But now is not the time.
  • Options

I expect we're can look forward to assorted headbangers on the news bulletins night after night ramping up No Deal...

As long as they are watching in Brussels......
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,062
    Alistair said:

Boris becoming PM would *almost* be a price worth paying to see that.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    rpjs said:

surby said:

Why not, if No Deal is terrible for us it is also terrible for Germany
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Do keep up!
    Leo Varadkar ?
    He's a TD.
    Is that an abbreviation ?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I think Theresa will win but the result majority will be so small that her position will be untenable.

How do you know her majority. Out of 316 I would expect her to get over 200
    Because a lot of "neutral's" will think this could be their one and only chance to get rid of her before 2022.

If she wins big she's there to the next election... And surely even Big G wouldn't trust Theresa May with another general election campaign? :D
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Alistair said:

I see her statement took a long time to put together
    https://twitter.com/davieclegg/status/1016310302881796097
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. rpjs, you could also find three foreigners who think we're right to leave, or no deal is the best way to go.

A trio of tweets does not prove much.

Not to mention, the current situation is very much in flux. Assessing it now would be like trying to write a race review halfway in.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    rpjs said:

twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1016270527378452482

twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/1016324334493880320

twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/1016339769905897472

i think we can see a theme developing: that the rest of the world is no longer taking the UK seriously as a leading nation.

I guess that's what being in the EU too long does to you.

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

I hope whichever leaver becomes PM (and I reckon it will be a leaver) gets the same shitty 'loyalty' they've shown May. It's all they deserve; some of them have helped bring down three Conservative PMs over Europe.

Disloyalty?

Theresa May was threatening her Cabinet with humiliation in order to force them to agree to her deal on Friday...

As I said in the last reply, that was hardly the start of it, was it? Though it may be the end.

A leaver PM is going to have awful troubles within the party - and they'll deserve it, too. I'm quite looking forward to it. Major, Cameron and May all damaged or brought down by the same group of people within the party.
    And probably will not be able to rely on votes from across the floor as May has.
    Precisely. As our great and much-lamented former Chancellor wisely said, the golden rule of politics is that you have to be able to count. Where on earth are the ultras going to find 320+ votes in the Commons for a Brexit harder than that Theressa May is aiming for?

Then they'll be swinging from the lampposts within three days of the supermarkets running out of food.
    This I simply don't understand. Why would the supermarkets run out of food? Would the EU farmers be any less keen to sell to us? If not, then the only impediment to food reaching our supermarkets would be impediments the British government, not the EU, puts in the way. I.e. it would be in the power of HMG to prevent your scenario.

Or am I missing something? Please explain.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    maaarsh said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't put your hopes on Javid, he showed his principles were for sale when the referendum came
    Depends if he believes the hype that he is on pole to replace May.....
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Scott_P said:
    Most of LK's tweets are just her making stuff up. Anything that begins with the words Whispers, Hearing, Understand or Told are just her imagining stuff.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Foxy said:

Why? Given the urgency, why can't they say that it's a week to whittle down candidates to 2 via a series of MP votes, then a 2 week window for postal member ballots to be returned. All done in 3 weeks and hardly abuse of process. If you're away for the full 2 weeks, nominate a proxy adddress while the MPs are voting, job done. No time for hustings & campaigns, but surely enough to get a fair vote done.

P.S. Can I say how much I've appreciated and respected your posts over recent weeks - a very insightful picture of a journey I think many people have been on.
    Thank you for your kind words. I am very annoyed with the Brexiteers and especially Boris with his FO to Airbus and that tipped me over and to back a soft Brexit .

As far as a leadership contest is concerned I would expect televised hustings before the submission to the members but maybe it could be condensed
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    rpjs said:

https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1016270527378452482

https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/1016324334493880320

https://twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/1016339769905897472

no different than when we fell out of the EMS

then when they needed people to pay bills and troops to fight suddenly it all changed
  • Options
    JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Possibly, but if opinion polls and election results show the Tories holding firm as the 2022 becomes closer, why shouldn’t she?

Just like the polls held up before 2017. She's a complete loser of a campaigner. Worse than Brown. I think the plotters will make it very clear that this will be the one and only chance to dump her before 2022. We all know that she will cling to power at whatever the cost of she wins this time.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Disloyalty?

Much as I know you're a hardcore leaver and so would wish it to be so, I think you're right.

Actually I could probably live with Theresa's deal if that was the end point - But her starting position is basically at the point where I'd say no more.

I know she'll give even more to the EU from here.
    May - It's in the national interest, it's in the national interest, it's in the national interest, ..........
  • Options

It is her duty to hang in there - just for now!
  • Options
    rpjs said:

surby said:

you clearly aren't following the german press

little englander
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    surby said:

It is her duty to hang in there - just for now!
    20.5% of Labour voters think she should hang on, 55.8% of Tory voters.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Question - with Her Majesty's Government tearing itself apart and potentially removing the PM in the next day or two, what advise do you give the President if you are a senior White House staffer about whether to come on Thursday?

Go to Scotland. Play golf. Go home.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    edited July 2018
    rcs1000 said:

That's not the reason.

The price for a UK-US FTA is unfettered access to the UK for US agricultural products. Because UK meat requires significantly higher levels of animal welfare than the US, its cost of production is much, much higher. British farmers cannot both produce under current standards, and compete with US produce.

We can lower animal welfare standards to allow UK farmers to compete, or we can choose not to have an FTA with the US. What we cannot do is have a situation where we hobble our farmers and drive them out of business.

Is there not any way around this at all? Wouldn't the benefit of trading with the US outweigh fixing this problem?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Disloyalty?

This I simply don't understand. Why would the supermarkets run out of food? Would the EU farmers be any less keen to sell to us? If not, then the only impediment to food reaching our supermarkets would be impediments the British government, not the EU, puts in the way. I.e. it would be in the power of HMG to prevent your scenario.

Traffic jams at Dover and Calais as customs struggle to deal with the admin.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MTimT said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Disloyalty?

The EU U-boats...

(for the avoidance of doubt, this is a joke)
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    JackW said:

Foxy said:

Jack a man of your experience and sagacity should know by now that the country is not the Tories' priority. What they are really interested in is their own internal psychodrama and the country is just collateral damage. As the former foreign secretary didn't say, their attitude over the past few years has been "f*ck the country." And they are continuing in that vein.
  • Options

Nope:

Stay until next election:
    Con: 56
    Lab: 20
    LibD: 30

Resign immediately:
    Con: 9
    Lab: 39
    LibD: 15

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/MoS-final-tables.pdf

• Options
    MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Just like the polls held up before 2017. She's a complete loser of a campaigner. Worse than Brown. I think the plotters will make it very clear that this will be the one and only chance to dump her before 2022. We all know that she will cling to power at whatever the cost of she wins this time.
    This basically sums up Theresa May in election mode :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDMSJig_SHs
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    MTimT said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Disloyalty?

It's the y2k bug stupid. It's just been renamed.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Question - with Her Majesty's Government tearing itself apart and potentially removing the PM in the next day or two, what advise do you give the President if you are a senior White House staffer about whether to come on Thursday?

Go to Scotland. Play golf. Go home.
    No. Go to Scotland. Play Golf. Go to NATO meeting.
  • Options
    So the White paper will not be the same as the Chequers draft.

Will it swing to Remain or Leave?
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    image.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

An International crisis averted only at the expense of time and treasure...
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    https://twitter.com/mattchorley/status/1016353004650487808?s=21
    This poll is saying that Boris is seen as more unsuited to be PM than Corbyn....
  • Options
    Charles said:

MTimT said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Disloyalty?

The EU U-boats...

(for the avoidance of doubt, this is a joke)
    I don't think the German navy can leave port these days, can it? It's broken.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Xenon said:

rcs1000 said:

That's not the reason.

The price for a UK-US FTA is unfettered access to the UK for US agricultural products. Because UK meat requires significantly higher levels of animal welfare than the US, its cost of production is much, much higher. British farmers cannot both produce under current standards, and compete with US produce.

We can lower animal welfare standards to allow UK farmers to compete, or we can choose not to have an FTA with the US. What we cannot do is have a situation where we hobble our farmers and drive them out of business.

Is there not any way around this at all? Wouldn't the benefit of trading with the US outweigh fixing this problem?
    Well, it would alienate two groups of Conservative voters: rural voters who are dependent on agriculture, and those in places like Richmond-upon-Thames who care deeply about animal welfare. The biggest winners would be the urban poor, who probably wouldn't vote Conservative in thanks.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,713
    "The first big psychological study of Brexit voters has found that people who voted Leave in the 2016 UK referendum share many personality traits with Trump supporters in the US, and supporters of far-right political parties in Europe. In particular, they were far more likely to have an “authoritarian” personality.

Around a third of people in western societies have authoritarian personalities. This personality type is partly determined by genes, and features a strong desire for order, obedience, conformity, and cohesion within the “in-group” with which the person identifies. Authoritarian personality was the best predictor of support for Donald Trump in the 2016 US election."
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2173681-how-your-personality-predicts-your-attitudes-towards-brexit/?utm_campaign=RSS|NSNS&utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=RSS&utm_content=news&campaign_id=RSS|NSNS-news
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

What is the point in this type of polling. Unless you poll only Tory party supporters it makes no sense
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    Who gives a toss what Howard Dean thinks?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,570

Nigelb said:

What an evening to be going to the Cambridge Shakespeare Festival and to have run out of mobile data on my phone ...

(I'm too cheap to buy some more.)

Comedy of Errors ?
    That would be apt. But no, a Midsummer Night Dream. Or, in May's case, a Midsummer's nightmare ...
    Still, it is a far superior play.

And this is fairly apt:
    "If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction...."
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited July 2018

This poll is saying that Boris is seen as more unsuited to be PM than Corbyn....

Not surprised at all.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

No one. He's a hasbeen and the US has an orange gorilla in charge.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,570

Who the eff are those 6% ?
  • Options

It's the Conservative members who vote for their leader - not the general public.
  • Options

"The first big psychological study of Brexit voters has found that people who voted Leave in the 2016 UK referendum share many personality traits with Trump supporters in the US, and supporters of far-right political parties in Europe. In particular, they were far more likely to have an “authoritarian” personality.

Around a third of people in western societies have authoritarian personalities. This personality type is partly determined by genes, and features a strong desire for order, obedience, conformity, and cohesion within the “in-group” with which the person identifies. Authoritarian personality was the best predictor of support for Donald Trump in the 2016 US election."
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2173681-how-your-personality-predicts-your-attitudes-towards-brexit/?utm_campaign=RSS|NSNS&utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=RSS&utm_content=news&campaign_id=RSS|NSNS-news

My dad voted Brexit, his personality is exactly like that (although even he doesn’t like Trump, mind).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

time and treasure wasted, 'cos it's back!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

Foxy said:

Jack a man of your experience and sagacity should know by now that the country is not the Tories' priority. What they are really interested in is their own internal psychodrama and the country is just collateral damage. As the former foreign secretary didn't say, their attitude over the past few years has been "f*ck the country." And they are continuing in that vein.
    I always start from the position of wishing a new administration well and initially allowing them the benefit of the doubt as they wrestle with the complex nature of governing a modern liberal democracy.

We are well past allowing this shower a fair wind. The government is a mess and the Prime Minister has failed the nation. That said we are also treated to a Labour party completely unfit for office "led" by a man who would be out of his depth as Chairman of a small parish council.

The situation is dire and so are the political leaders.
  • Options
    What has May got to offer her party now? She has called an election, fucked up the Manifesto, fucked up the majority, thereby fucking up her authority to deliver Brexit, given the negotiating centre ground to the EU, undermined those she has tasked with delivering Brexit....and if she isn't prised out, will try to stay on and lead the Party into an election that could be much sooner than anyone expects?

Why, if you are a Tory MP, would it not be worth taking the risk of putting someone new at the helm?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    kjohnw said:

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

OMG. Just heard Boris has gone. It's all out war now!

The government is collapsing.
    No it is not
    You must admit it is giving a reasonable impression of so doing.
    A cull of the Brexiteers is needed
    The Brexiteers are representing 17.4m people who WON the referendum.
    No they are not. Few voted to lose their jobs. You are getting carried away. Hard Brexit is over
    Wrong, we valued our sovereignty and independence and freedom, and we were prepared to accept the short to medium term hit on our economy , for the long term gains brexit would eventually bring once we have managed to unshackle ourselves from the EU prison and make ourselves competitive in the world again
    Wrong. We were promised “exactly the same benefits”, remember?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

time and treasure wasted, 'cos it's back!
    Y2K had the potential to wreck the entire world. Brexit wrecks only the UK.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Fireplace salesmen......
  • Options

My dad voted Brexit, his personality is exactly like that (although even he doesn’t like Trump, mind).
    The article is behind a paywall. Whose research is cited? Is it Kahan, or someone else?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,397

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Nigelb said:

3 million adults.
  • Options

What has May got to offer her party now? She has called an election, fucked up the Manifesto, fucked up the majority, thereby fucking up her authority to deliver Brexit, given the negotiating centre ground to the EU, undermined those she has tasked with delivering Brexit....and if she isn't prised out, will try to stay on and lead the Party into an election that could be much sooner than anyone expects?

Why, if you are a Tory MP, would it not be worth taking the risk of putting someone new at the helm?

She offers them an insatiable thirst to drink from the poisoned chalice. No-one else has the grim determination to take the blows and still deliver performances like she did today in parliament.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Xenon said:

No one. He's a hasbeen and the US has an orange gorilla in charge.

He's not a 'has been'. He's a 'never been'.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    So, Johnson has quit as expected then. Good. The only hope for the Tories is they don't pussyfoot around anymore and actually have the knock down internal fight they so sorely need. If there is an election this year they are screwed, but at least if they have a fight and see if one side can win without the other side flouncing off then they may have a few years to try to recover from the rank incompetence of the past year.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    MTimT said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Disloyalty?

I'm not sure but I can think of three factors that might hold up incoming goods:

1. Goods leaving the EU have to go through export clearance, so the hold up might be at Calais.

2. The same lorries take the imports as the exports so any hold ups on goods entering the EU will knock on to imports to the UK.

3. The UK is obliged under WTO most favoured nation rules to apply the same import controls as on imports from.any country it isn't in a customs union with.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Gavin Williamson’s family and friends!

It's the Conservative members who vote for their leader - not the general public.
    Yes, but it matters how any new PM is seen by the public especially if they are the leader they will be going into the next election with.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

AndyJS said:

Former Swedish PM:

"Carl Bildt
    ‏Verified account @carlbildt

Tragic to see how the UK is lost in the post-referendum chaos. This used to be a nation providing leadership to the world. Now it can’t even provide leadership to itself."

But David Cameron said that Ed Miliband would bring a ‘coalition of chaos’ and only he offered competence....
    Had he won the referendum it was a fair assumption
This discussion has been closed.