Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PaddyPower clearly doesn’t understand the CON leadership rules

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,831

Nigelb said:

https://twitter.com/mattchorley/status/1016353004650487808?s=21
    This poll is saying that Boris is seen as more unsuited to be PM than Corbyn....

Who the eff are those 6% ?
    3 million adults.
    About 6% of people believe in vampires.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    Most of LK's tweets are just her making stuff up. Anything that begins with the words Whispers, Hearing, Understand or Told are just her imagining stuff.
    I think she's pretty good. I think when she leads that way she's been told something but doesn't trust the source - so an MP!

This is a very weird set of events, and the path out of it heavily disguised if it's there at all. Personally I feel DD was always the wrong man to have such an important post, and I have no sympathy for his nonsense. Boris though is a slightly wiser man (no big hurdle).

I rather like Rees-Mogg, but I've no idea at all what he's thinking in all of this. I'm beginning to think he isn't thinking.

A minimal delivery of Brexit so that we can revisit any and all parts of it we choose to, and at any time of our choosing is a substantial thing. That minimal delivery, with a couple of cherries on top, is (as far as I can see) what May was planning.

So, rubbish!

The "non-rubbish" government-in-waiting is of course far, far worse.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

"The first big psychological study of Brexit voters has found that people who voted Leave in the 2016 UK referendum share many personality traits with Trump supporters in the US, and supporters of far-right political parties in Europe. In particular, they were far more likely to have an “authoritarian” personality.

Around a third of people in western societies have authoritarian personalities. This personality type is partly determined by genes, and features a strong desire for order, obedience, conformity, and cohesion within the “in-group” with which the person identifies. Authoritarian personality was the best predictor of support for Donald Trump in the 2016 US election."
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2173681-how-your-personality-predicts-your-attitudes-towards-brexit/?utm_campaign=RSS|NSNS&utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=RSS&utm_content=news&campaign_id=RSS|NSNS-news

My dad voted Brexit, his personality is exactly like that (although even he doesn’t like Trump, mind).
    I'd suggest this simply means more older people voted for Brexit

when you hit your fifties you've seen most things a couple of times and are more sure of what you do and don't like. Having less time ahead of you, you also dislike wasting it on stuff you don't agree with.

Is that authoritarian or simply experience ?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

I hope whichever leaver becomes PM (and I reckon it will be a leaver) gets the same shitty 'loyalty' they've shown May. It's all they deserve; some of them have helped bring down three Conservative PMs over Europe.

The disloyal cannot expect loyalty.

And where does this all end up? A Corbyn government ...

Disloyalty?

Theresa May was threatening her Cabinet with humiliation in order to force them to agree to her deal on Friday...

I said it wouldn't end well for her.
    As I said in the last reply, that was hardly the start of it, was it? Though it may be the end.

A leaver PM is going to have awful troubles within the party - and they'll deserve it, too. I'm quite looking forward to it. Major, Cameron and May all damaged or brought down by the same group of people within the party.
    And probably will not be able to rely on votes from across the floor as May has.
    Precisely. As our great and much-lamented former Chancellor wisely said, the golden rule of politics is that you have to be able to count. Where on earth are the ultras going to find 320+ votes in the Commons for a Brexit harder than that Theressa May is aiming for?
    The Ultras don't need a H of C vote.

Just drop out of the EU without a deal other than WTO terms.
    Then they'll be swinging from the lampposts within three days of the supermarkets running out of food.
    This I simply don't understand. Why would the supermarkets run out of food? Would the EU farmers be any less keen to sell to us? If not, then the only impediment to food reaching our supermarkets would be impediments the British government, not the EU, puts in the way. I.e. it would be in the power of HMG to prevent your scenario.

Or am I missing something? Please explain.
    Traffic jams at Dover and Calais as customs struggle to deal with the admin.
    As I said, something within the power of the UK authorities to prevent.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

https://twitter.com/mattchorley/status/1016353004650487808?s=21
    This poll is saying that Boris is seen as more unsuited to be PM than Corbyn....

Who the eff are those 6% ?
    3 million adults.
    About 6% of people believe in vampires.
    I'd stake against, but fangs for that.

(Real conclusion: Around 6% of people answering surveys really don't want to)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    MTimT said:

Traffic jams at Dover and Calais as customs struggle to deal with the admin.

As I said, something within the power of the UK authorities to prevent.

The lorries do round trips, you know.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    kle4 said:

So, Johnson has quit as expected then. Good. The only hope for the Tories is they don't pussyfoot around anymore and actually have the knock down internal fight they so sorely need. If there is an election this year they are screwed, but at least if they have a fight and see if one side can win without the other side flouncing off then they may have a few years to try to recover from the rank incompetence of the past year.

As no current poll gives Labour a majority the Tories are certainly not 'screwed' if they rally their vote and motivate their base
This discussion has been closed.