Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A better ‘ole

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    edited July 2018

Is there any significance to the immobility of Michael Gove?

When I was predicting resignations on Friday I did suggest that any circling of the wagons would either put him out completely or bring him in to the centre, the latter of which seemed the more likely. I half expected him to get DexEU after Sunday.

My guess is that despite his performance at the weekend May doesn't fully trust him and is waiting to see which way he jumps.
  • Options
    dellertronicdellertronic Posts: 133
    17.4 Million people vote UKIP and do an SNP 2015 on England and Wales. The 650 turkeys voting for Xmas.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited July 2018
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Oh look another Remainer...

Theresa continues to take the piss.
    So what? Why should a balance of Remainers and Leavers be the method for picking good Cabinet members? That hasn't worked, and it is time to forget who was on what side as being the only thing that matters. And to pick an outcome to go for. If that is hard or if that is soft. Then we can all see if the other side can accept that. If they cannot, so be it.
    Because Leave won the referendum (something that seems to be entirely forgotten by the political class) and this cabinet is supposed to following the instruction they were given in that referendum.

It has always been an absurdity that not only do we have a civil service enacting the referendum result when they don't believe in it, we also have had a Cabinet and Prime Minister enacting that instruction when they don't believe in it.

There is pretty much nobody speaking up for the 17.4 in government while the Prime Minister and the civil service conspires to sell us down the river.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

He's uncertain whether to micturate inside or outside the tent.*

*Thank you L.B.J.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited July 2018
    Well to be fair to May if most of the prominent Brexiteers resign she cannot help but have Remainers in her key posts.

No doubt though that May's Cabinet with the departure of Davis and Boris and of course Patel last year is now dominated by former Remainers, especially in the Great Offices of State, who are more likely to back her Brexit Fudge than hard Brexiteers
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2018
    AndyJS said:

Well she’s done it. Forced in a way, but she has to go down fighting or keep swimming now. Goodness knows we’ve got an interesting few months coming up.

We've had an interesting four years, since the start of the Scottish referendum campaign.
    One does sometimes wonder how we kept ourselves entertained just a few years ago. What was the big political excitement of 2013, for example?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    geoffw said:

Factionalism now rules. We now have:

Official Conservatives – Theresa M, Philip H
    Real Conservatives – Jacob R-M, Sajid J, Lynn T
    Continuity Conservatives – Ken C, Anna S, Dominic G
    Provisional Conservatives – Peter B, William C

other denominations doubtless will emerge.

All this to sow confusion and doubt in the minds of the dastardly Euro elite.

Plus Agent Corbyn
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    I don’t rule out a VoNC, but I feel May would surely win. There is no (non-doolally) alternative.

Having said that, what is Boris going to do now that he’s outside the tent? Surely he hasn’t given up his ambitions?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,462
    edited July 2018
    I’m starting to wonder if... whisper it.. we get a second referendum. But it is purely deal vs no deal (ie no withdrawal of Article 50).

I can’t see any downsides tactically for TMay. Claims to respect the result of the first referendum but throws the decision to the people - check. Remainers likely to vote for soft Brexit if they get a choice between that and crashing out - check. Neutralises the meaningful vote juggernaut - check. Provides an excuse for pursuing a soft Brexit policy (I.e the public agree with me) - check.

Only question is whether she can get it through Parliament, but if the Brexiteers don’t vote for something that gives the OPTION of an ultra hard Brexit, can they moan really?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

Well she’s done it. Forced in a way, but she has to go down fighting or keep swimming now. Goodness knows we’ve got an interesting few months coming up.

We've had an interesting four years, since the start of the Scottish referendum campaign.
    One does wonder how we kept ourselves entertained just a few years ago. What was the big political excitement of 2013, for example?
    Every day there was a 10pm YouGov to give Pbers a talking point.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677

tlg86 said:

Some people really have lost their marbles - which I guess was the point of last Friday.

THIS ISN'T THE FUCKING DEAL.

Indeed. As Boris points out in his letter, this is just May's opening offer, the actual deal may be much worse.

May has played this to perfection.
    I think you may be in for a disappointment.....
  • Options

17.4 Million people vote UKIP and do an SNP 2015 on England and Wales. The 650 turkeys voting for Xmas.

Well it won't be quite that dramatic but we could be looking at an SLAB type wipeout of Con across England whenever they dare face the electorate.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    AndyJS said:

It's sad to think that politics will be boring again one day.
  • Options

Yes, Mrs May can't stand him and Govey cannot stop plotting. Hard to do plotting from DEFRA.
    He is Wormtongue
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Better hope there isn't another resignation.
    I would expect Liam Fox to resign in the morning, arguing that the Chequers plan would prevent him from signing new trade deals, because of the common rule book.
    If Liam Fox read pb he'd have known that on Friday.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

tlg86 said:

Some people really have lost their marbles - which I guess was the point of last Friday.

Indeed. As Boris points out in his letter, this is just May's opening offer, the actual deal may be much worse.

In what way could the EU proposal be better for the Uk than May's opening offer?

Any suggestions?

Surely it can only get better - for the EU, and worse for the UK, unless we go for WTO.

WTO deal better than a bad deal?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I’m starting to wonder if... whisper it.. we get a second referendum. But it is purely deal vs no deal (ie no withdrawal of Article 50).

I can’t see any downsides tactically for TMay. Claims to respect the result of the first referendum but throws the decision to the people - check. Remainers likely to vote for soft Brexit if they get a choice between that and crashing out - check. Neutralises the meaningful vote juggernaut - check. Provides an excuse for pursuing a soft Brexit policy (I.e the public agree with me) - check.

Only question is whether she can get it through Parliament, but if the Brexiteers don’t vote for something that gives the OPTION of an ultra hard Brexit, can they moan really?

There is no majority in Parliament for any kind of second referendum.

Even if there was it would take months to get all the legislation in place, work out what the question should be, deal with the inevitable legal challenges etc...

Then there would have to be at least a three month campaign. And what if the voters went for Hard Brexit... Just because they can?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Essexit said:

AndyJS said:

It's sad to think that politics will be boring again one day.
    :lol:
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    edited July 2018

tlg86 said:

She might be a pretty ropey PM, but I think she might make a formidable brigade player. She can certainly finesse a very weak hand, and has shown a good ability to count.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    And now for Toppo and any other fans I may have today's Tesco Strawberry score is a six:

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Fife
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Kent

With nothing else among the fruit and veg worth talking about.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

I can see two major downsides:

1) people are sick of politics, sick of Brexit, and sick of the EU. Another referendum would disillusion them further.

2) that being so, No Deal would in all likelihood win.

That is why I have consistently opposed a second referendum, and why I think Remainers who believe it would help us to stay need therapy.
  • Options
    Transparency can be a good thing. Not always of course.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

It's possible, but I'm not sure even that scenario gets it through parliament. The one side would think May would only propose it thinking she would win.
  • Options
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

One does wonder how we kept ourselves entertained just a few years ago. What was the big political excitement of 2013, for example?
    Every day there was a 10pm YouGov to give Pbers a talking point.
    "Tick tock, losers."

EICIPM
  • Options
    FT front page - not really sure this is a 'blow' - the government has lost one minister who evidently was not on top of his brief and another who should have been fired many months ago as totally unfit for high office.

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1016423042359156737

I suspect the ripples will close swiftly over the heads of Messers Davis & Johnson
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

ydoethur said:

Hunt is on the record as saying that the people need to be able to vote on the terms of Brexit. A second referendum should be odds on now.

Hunt probably still believes in remaining. I don't know why he 'changed his mind'.
    That referendum which had a majority for Leave may have had something to do with it.
    Its funny how some seem to have difficulty with the concept.....they would appear to be Remain first, democrat second.
    Oh dear, Miss Vance! Mr Cameron`s Referendum seems on present form to have been seriously contaminated by undue influence from Russia, via stooges in the DUP and some of the self-proclaimed leaders of the Leave campaign. Perhaps that influences people`s views on what democracy ought to mean.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

There is no majority in Parliament for any kind of second referendum.

Even if there was it would take months to get all the legislation in place, work out what the question should be, deal with the inevitable legal challenges etc...

Then there would have to be at least a three month campaign. And what if the voters went for Hard Brexit... Just because they can?
    Then although it’s not in the national interest, the Tories can claim to have consulted the people on the sort of Brexit they wanted. You are absolutely right that’s the risk, but I’m not sure I trust the Conservative party at the moment to take any kind of sensible position if they can make a play for internal party unity. Cynical but true.

I take your point on timescales though. They’d have to push it through Parliament quickly. Unless they can somehow persuade the EU to grant an extension but god knows if that would be possible.
  • Options

FT front page - not really sure this is a 'blow' - the government has lost one minister who evidently was not on top of his brief and another who should have been fired many months ago as totally unfit for high office.

Which is which?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1016423042359156737

I suspect the ripples will close swiftly over the heads of Messers Davis & Johnson

History will tell us. Potentially, May has played a blinder and lost two massive thorns.

Then again, she could be gone by Friday.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Cabinet ministers go yet that dolt Hammond is still in place.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Well it won't be quite that dramatic but we could be looking at an SLAB type wipeout of Con across England whenever they dare face the electorate.
    By the next general election Mogg may well be Tory leader going on the current membership polls so I would not worry yourself too much.

Though if May stays or we are still in the transition period by the next general election Farage will certainly come back as UKIP leader and fancy his chances
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

She might be a pretty ropey PM, but I think she might make a formidable brigade player. She can certainly finesse a very weak hand, and has shown a good ability to count.
    Good observation - she invited Poker players to a Bridge game.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    CD13 said:

Mr Freggles,

"Not this again.

Most Labour voters voted Remain. What everyone else in their constituency did makes no difference."

Not this again. My constituency in NW England. Referendum 58% Leave. GE 2OI7 Labour 26,000 Cons 6,000, Ukip 6,000, Others bits and bobs. labour majority 20,000

Who voted Leave?

GIN1138 said:

Complete and utter nonsense. The average voter will ascribe far less importance to Brexit than the obsessiveness it gets on here. As ever, crime, schools n’hospitals and the economy will be far more important.
  • Options

Is this is a joke? It's an unmitigated and almighty mess.

Theresa May's position now hangs by the faintest whisper of a gossamer thread.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    They’re still arguing over which to steer the ship towards
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The cabinet is stronger than it was 24hrs ago.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

ydoethur said:

Hunt is on the record as saying that the people need to be able to vote on the terms of Brexit. A second referendum should be odds on now.

Hunt probably still believes in remaining. I don't know why he 'changed his mind'.
    That referendum which had a majority for Leave may have had something to do with it.
    Its funny how some seem to have difficulty with the concept.....they would appear to be Remain first, democrat second.
    Oh dear, Miss Vance! Mr Cameron`s Referendum seems on present form to have been seriously contaminated by undue influence from Russia, via stooges in the DUP and some of the self-proclaimed leaders of the Leave campaign. Perhaps that influences people`s views on what democracy ought to mean.
    And one side (Remain) significantly outspending the other (Leave) -even without the government propaganda

I presume thats what you were referring to?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    ydoethur said:

I can see two major downsides:

1) people are sick of politics, sick of Brexit, and sick of the EU. Another referendum would disillusion them further.

2) that being so, No Deal would in all likelihood win.

That is why I have consistently opposed a second referendum, and why I think Remainers who believe it would help us to stay need therapy.
    You’re traumatised by Cameron’s disaster and you’re convinced Selmayr is plotting for No Deal. I think you should try giving May some credit and wait and see what she does.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, back with the tribunes of the ordinary folk:

https://twitter.com/Arron_banks/status/1016396021172236291
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It’s considerably wetter.
  • Options
    Handymandy1980Handymandy1980 Posts: 29
    edited July 2018

I don’t rule out a VoNC, but I feel May would surely win. There is no (non-doolally) alternative.

I'm not so sure that's true. Rather like the election of Pope, the one who goes into the conclave as Pope leaves as Cardinal. So with the Tories. There are some very capable ministers below the media floozy level who could come to the fore, rather in the way that David Cameron did.

The distinctly unfortunate aspect is that we're in the middle of Brexit negotiations.

So, suppose a sensible moderate, but appealing to Brexiteers, candidate was to offer a 12 month delay on Brexit ... in order to bash out the best deal for Britain first?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Johnson etc claim to speak for the 17.4 million, but people voted for Brexit for many, many different reasons. The idea that leaving the EU would enable us to persue free trade deals was very much a minority, elite view. It hasn´t gathered momentum.

• Options

PClipp said:

ydoethur said:

And one side (Remain) significantly outspending the other (Leave) -even without the government propaganda

Wonder what the ad spend of the Russian machine was (or was equivalent to?). I don’t really buy this Remain outspent Leave nonsense.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

What are they doing in Bermuda?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    But, Some dangerous people are now angry, isolated and outside the tent pissing in.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Jonathan said:

But it still has no chance of getting its Brexit deal through Parliament.

Nothing has changed.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

But, Some dangerous people are now angry, isolated and outside the tent pissing in.

The tent was flooding with piss - whichever ones ended up outside would be an improvement on that, especially as everyone was intent on pretending the stench wasn't bothering them.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

CD13 said:

Mr Freggles,

"Not this again.

Most Labour voters voted Remain. What everyone else in their constituency did makes no difference."

Not this again. My constituency in NW England. Referendum 58% Leave. GE 2OI7 Labour 26,000 Cons 6,000, Ukip 6,000, Others bits and bobs. labour majority 20,000

Who voted Leave?

GIN1138 said:

Complete and utter nonsense. The average voter will ascribe far less importance to Brexit than the obsessiveness it gets on here. As ever, crime, schools n’hospitals and the economy will be far more important.
    Your underestimating the anger of the average Con/Leave voter about what's going on.

This is beyond staying or leaving the EU per se now. This is about politicians and governments respecting and enacting what the voters tell them to do.
  • Options

Fishing I think. Well, that's the public facing view.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Good observation - she invited Poker players to a Bridge game.
    Whether its deliberate or not, doing this less than a year out from exit day and daring the party to start an insurrection is tactically probably the best way she could play it. It could all come unstuck of course but if it was intentional it’s strategically smart.

But given TMays previous record when it comes to strategy (ie rather useless), I’m tempted to believe it’s not been deliberate.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    GIN1138 said:

This is beyond staying or leaving the EU per se now. This is about politicians and governments respecting and enacting what the voters tell them to do.

I think the damage is already done. I can't conceive of any outcome where the electorate will think "they did such a good job with Brexit they deserve another term".
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

CD13 said:

Mr Freggles,

"Not this again.

Who voted Leave?

GIN1138 said:

Your underestimating the anger of the average Con/Leaver voter about what's going on.

And people are pretending the voters were clearer than they were. There are some things the government would be advised cannot be fudged to keep voters happy, perhaps even part of the deal, but there has been bollocks from day one about things being clear about what must happen from the vote, usually from people pushing a specific agenda which it is far from clear is as supported as specific parts of it might be.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Fishing I think. Well, that's the public facing view.
    https://youtu.be/hn6Rds4kbFE
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

PClipp said:

ydoethur said:

Wonder what the ad spend of the Russian machine was (or was equivalent to?). I don’t really buy this Remain outspent Leave nonsense.
    What ad spend? It was just some Twitter bots that were so apparently influential that the generation that spends its time on Twitter voted about 70 per cent remain and no one seemed to be aware of them until some time after remain - and Clinton - lost!

Lots of factors boosted the leave vote - Russian Twitter bots were probably rather marginal.

• Options

PClipp said:

ydoethur said:

The Electoral Commission said so.....

https://tinyurl.com/yc5e2pfa
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109

I thought their shorts were on 23/06/16.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

No it isn't. It's a weak cabinet because it has lost a vital part of the party and country.

It will fall.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Jonathan said:

Nothing has changed.
    That’s irrelevant if May is planning a referendum on the deal versus Remain. She just has to be able to sell the idea that the principles of her deal are the truest to the 2016 mandate within the constraints of what is deliverable, and then turn it over to the people.
  • Options

I'm not so sure that's true. Rather like the election of Pope, the one who goes into the conclave as Pope leaves as Cardinal. So with the Tories. There are some very capable ministers below the media floozy level who could come to the fore, rather in the way that David Cameron did.

The distinctly unfortunate aspect is that we're in the middle of Brexit negotiations.

So, suppose a sensible moderate, but appealing to Brexiteers, candidate was to offer a 12 month delay on Brexit ... in order to bash out the best deal for Britain first?
    ALL who would have to get past the Tory membership in the final round and all the evidence is Tory members will vote for a hard Brexiteer if they get the chance with the possible exception of Javid who pressed May hard on ensuring no preferential treatment for EU migrants in immigration rules
  • Options
    Peter Bone clip from the Commons devastating on BBC news, talks of Tory activists 'refusing to go out and campaign for the party for the first time'
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Wasn't Theresa's Lancaster House speech pretty much the policy ALL Brexiteers rallied behind?

It's been downhill all the way ever since but if she'd stuck to what she said in her Lancaster House speech Brexiteers would be happy...
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

tlg86 said:

Or much better - if you are interested in the good of the country.
  • Options

Is this is a joke? It's an unmitigated and almighty mess.

Theresa May's position now hangs by the faintest whisper of a gossamer thread.
    No - it’s just a positive spin. Yours is the opposite.

• Options

You’re traumatised by Cameron’s disaster and you’re convinced Selmayr is plotting for No Deal. I think you should try giving May some credit and wait and see what she does.

No, I'm intelligent, careful and I speak to people who disagree with me. Moreover, in the last year I've spent a lot of time (time I haven't got a lot of) studying Selmayr and I have been shocked by what I found. Suffice it to say that the very dubious way he has risen up the political ladder is only the tip of the iceberg (sorry) and that a man who posts on neo-Nazi forums downplaying the extent of his grandfather's involvement in civilian massacres in Yugoslavia is not a man who should be holding high political office in a supra-national organisation, even if he hadn't been appointed illegally.

The simple fact is that the EU is deeply (often justly) unpopular in this country and it is most unlikely after the last two years that it would get a majority to change the course we've set ourselves on for good or ill. At the same time, the EU does not work in good faith and it is determined not to give us any sort of deal that might lead others to follow our example. That means in practice vassalage or No Deal. The first can't be delivered in London beyond what we've seen today. Indeed, this is barely deliverable. So if the EU reject it (as seems likely) we're going out with no deal.

You've made a number of comments about my psychological state - frequently very unpleasant and even defamatory ones. With respect, it would seem to me that you are the one who is traumatised. You seem to be in utter denial about the simple political mathematics of the situation. Whether that is because you are, for whatever reason, convinced that the EU is an unadulterated good and cannot understand why everyone else can't see that, or whether you were just shocked to be on the losing side, I don't know. But your comments include a claim, for example, that this will lead us to join the euro, or Schengen. Neither is even remotely possible. They seem to be the mere reflexes of someone with an inability to accept defeat.

Can I urge you as strongly as possible to get past this? You clearly aren't stupid and you often make comments worth reading. Anything on Brexit and you're off like a puppy that scents biscuits. I think you would be happier to let go and realise that we have to make the best of it. And the best isn't federalism, which is now dead. It's about salvaging what economic links we can. It's easier for those of us who always thought federalism was a stupid idea and wanted the EU to develop into an economic rather than political organisation. But like it or loathe it, it's an idea that's just been firmly forced on us, and that, not your dream of a reversal, is what May is trying to do and what a second referendum would kill off.
  • Options
    Most Tory activists are increasingly of the view they would prefer 'never' rather than a BINO deal and are ready for hard Brexit
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Peter Bone clip from the Commons devastating on BBC news, talks of Tory activists 'refusing to go out and campaign for the party for the first time'

Tory activists refusing to go out and campaign is the least of your worries... Actually getting Tory voters to the polling stations to vote for you will be the real problem...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Hancock to Health

He struggled as a blood donor, it's hard to imagine him doing any better heading the department.
    Arf!

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    Jeremy Hunt the John Major de nos jours?
  • Options
    LordOfReasonLordOfReason Posts: 457
    edited July 2018
    William_H said:

May clearly isn't going via VoNC, but surely she needs to have a majority in parliament prepared to vote for her version of Brexit for her position to be tenable?

May could get 300 private even public pledges but about a fifth of that in the VoNC secret ballot.

It’s not Brexit that is bringing her down this week, but when it comes to VoNC voting will be on the Mays personality, her politics, her record as PM across the whole piece, with already many blots on copy book. Support teams she builds around herself are so rubbish, with weird ideas what strong leadership looks like and how to score policy wins.

What triumphs in VoNC is the pull of a fresh voice, with a clean slate, without baggage of fudge, uturns, windrush. Regardless of factions or personalities, the voting will want that change.

That VONC is coming sooner or sooner still :)
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2018
    HYUFD said:

ALL who would have to get past the Tory membership in the final round and all the evidence is Tory members will vote for a hard Brexiteer if they get the chance with the possible exception of Javid who pressed May hard on ensuring no preferential treatment for EU migrants in immigration rules
    What exactly is the position on the FOM policy now - is the migration framework what Javid and Leadsome think it is or is it a bit more vague as May suggested in her interview with the BBC at the weekend and be FOM in all but name with preferential treatment for EU nationals. Notwithstanding the 3.5 million already here who have to be granted their settled status.

I think it's quite likely that the EU will push for full FOM - and I expect May will most likely cave on that too to get a deal.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Jonathan said:

Nothing has changed.
    It still has no chance of getting its Brexit deal through Brussels.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

What exactly is the position on the FOM policy now
    It is whatever the EU tells Theresa May it's going to be...
  • Options
    edited July 2018

No, Jeremy Hunt is the man who is trounced by Mogg and Gove and Javid and beaten by Boris too in both the Yougov and ConHome Tory members Tory Leadership polls. He should stick to being Douglas Hurd and focus on the day job.

Javid though maybe John Major to Boris' Heseltine, Mogg's Tebbit and May's Thatcher with Corbyn as Kinnock
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Me? Are you kidding? Hey, I was with you all the time! That was beautiful! Did you see the way the Leavers fell into our trap? Ha ha!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Tory activists refusing to go out and campaign is the least of your worries... Actually getting Tory voters to the polling stations to vote for you will be the real problem...
    Would be nice to see some polls ,see if the Tories are losing leave voters ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I think rather it’s the Johnson leadership dream that is dying.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Chortle. Wasn’t he bitching earlier that May leaked the news before he had a chance to? He obviously spent too much time in make-up.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Which is why Mogg is the current favourite of Tory members to succeed May
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Major didn't go to Oxford...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Would be nice to see some polls ,see if the Tories are losing leave voters ?
    Can't see why they wouldn't be... What possible reason would a leave voting Tory have for voting for Theresa May?
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

What exactly is the position on the FOM policy now - is the migration framework what Javid and Leadsome think it is or is it a bit more vague as May suggested in her interview with the BBC at the weekend and be FOM in all but name with preferential treatment for EU nationals. Notwithstanding the 3.5 million already here who have to be granted their settled status.

I think it's quite likely that the EU will push for full FOM - and I expect May will most likely cave on that too to get a deal.
    If she does indeed cave in on that Javid will walk and her leadership will finally be over this time
  • Options
    Yikes.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Vote May and Spreadsheet Phil ? Meh why bother - unispiring wet establishment mush. Waste of shoe leather to go to the polling station.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    HYUFD said:

No, Jeremy Hunt is the man who is trounced by Mogg and Gove and Javid and beaten by Boris too in both the Yougov and ConHome Tory members Tory Leadership polls. He should stick to being Douglas Hurd and focus on the day job.

Javid though maybe John Major to Boris' Heseltine, Mogg's Tebbit and May's Thatcher with Corbyn as Kinnock
    Er, but what about the polls in 3 or 6 or 12 months time? A few months ago, Javid could have been sacked (and apparently very nearly was) and would have disappeared without trace. Now he's the front-runner. You don't seem to get this statement of the stunningly obvious.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Is that why he hung around Carlton Gardens for so long? Waiting for a photo-shoot?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Major didn't go to Oxford...
    Nor did Javid who like Major comes from a working class background unlike posh boy Hunt
  • Options

Hancock to Health

He struggled as a blood donor, it's hard to imagine him doing any better heading the department.
    Post of the Year. :lol:
  • Options
    JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Er, but what about the polls in 3 or 6 or 12 months time? A few months ago, Javid could have been sacked (and apparently very nearly was) and would have disappeared without trace. Now he's the front-runner. You don't seem to get this statement of the stunningly obvious.
    Indeed, polls aren't static.

I remember when he used to say DD was almost certain to replace Mrs May.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Nigelb said:

I think rather it’s the Johnson leadership dream that is dying.

His dream was that Brexit would make him PM.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

Vote May and Spreadsheet Phil ? Meh why bother - unispiring wet establishment mush. Waste of shoe leather to go to the polling station.
    :D
  • Options

Yikes.

[Gallic shrug] Unfortunatement, je ne comprends pas le français!
This discussion has been closed.