Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW EMERGENCY PB / POLLING MATTERS PODCAST: Bye Bye Boris and

1235»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Didn't I answer? If the EU accepts Chequers (big if), then Chequers.

If the EU accepts Chequers (and I agree it's a big if), I think Parliament will fall in line. Enough people see it as a first step. There will be die hards on both sides that think it gives away too much or too little, but there will be majority cross party support IMO.
    Agree.

And @williamglenn I don't dispute that all things being equal there is an argument for a second referndum. However, things are most decidedly not equal and I just find it very difficult to get my head around there being a second referendum. I am not 100% sure I want one or it would do any good. The nation has told the government to seek a new settlement with the EU and the government seems to be trying to do that. It is of course a choice between bad options, but I don't see how this can be changed.

As someone once said, wisely: now is not the time for logic.
    It depends how opinion shifts over the next few weeks. If there is a genuine backlash against Chequers then I agree it could be dangerous, but if not then it could be cathartic and give us a chance to avoid the interminable debate that would follow if the Chequers settlement were imposed on us.
    I'm going to keep saying this until it penetrates your block head, no conservative government would ever put remain back on a ballot paper, it would mean the end of our party for at least a generation, possibly forever. You may be wedded to the EU, the party is not and has never been.
    The party is wedded to power. Giving Corbyn the opportunity to bring down the government over Brexit is not in its short term interests, and imposing a controversial settlement without a specific mandate is not in its long term interests.

The danger for the Conservatives comes from *not* putting Remain back on a ballot paper.
    Right now that would be the danger for the party. There would be a riot
    Timing is everything. We need to see where things stand in October when the anger has subsided.
    Why would it subside if the EU start making conditions. For the EU it is this deal or no deal (sadly)
    At this stage May just needs to get the political declaration agreed for the withdrawal agreement. She's proposing a framework that the EU can offer (an Association Agreement) and a set of trade offs that seem balanced. I think the EU will play ball.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

I
    Agree.

As someone once said, wisely: now is not the time for logic.
    It depends how opinion shifts over the next few weeks. If there is a genuine backlash against Chequers then I agree it could be dangerous, but if not then it could be cathartic and give us a chance to avoid the interminable debate that would follow if the Chequers settlement were imposed on us.
    I'm going to keep saying this until it penetrates your block head, no conservative government would ever put remain back on a ballot paper, it would mean the end of our party for at least a generation, possibly forever. You may be wedded to the EU, the party is not and has never been.
    Really? The Tory party has never been wedded to the EU? The Tory party has until very recently always been pro-the EU. It is the UKIP tendency within it which has turned a party which understood the value of engagement with Europe into one which apparently sees the EU as an enemy.

It is possible to be sceptical, even highly sceptical, of the EU's structures, political direction and bureaucracy while still recognising that, overall, the positives for Europe as a whole and for Britain, outweigh the negatives. The Tory party used to understand that. It was why one of the best achievements of the EU - the Single Market - was to a very significant extent the brainchild of Britain, a Britain run by a Tory government that would never have had senior politicians saying "Fuck business". It was Labour (see its 1983 manifesto) which was stupid over Europe. Corbyn may still be stuck in 1983 as far as the EU is concerned but the Tory party is now behaving utterly stupidly over the EU - and is doing so in a manner which is detrimental to itself but, more importantly, utterly detrimental to the country's interests.

That is not - and has not - been the M.O. of the Tory party in most of my lifetime. Still, every so often parties are taken over by their militant tendency. We saw this over Maastricht. We are seeing it now. Tories need to grow up and behave like adults.

If the facts change - and lots of facts in the world have changed since 23 June 2016 - sensible people reconsider and some may even change their mind.
    A very large majority of Conservative voters now favour leaving the EU, not just the awkward squad.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

Roger said:

The next poll on Brexit should be interesting. Even the residents of Hartlepool must now realise that there's a little more to it than putting a cross on a piece of paper and all foreigners will disappear

they put a cross on a piece of paper, elected Perter Mandelson and then all the foreigners started to appear. Theyre going for doubles or quits
    Except all the foreigners didn't start to appear in Hartlepool. 3% non-uk born according to Office of Nat Stats.
    That's a lot if you previously had 0.1%. The big Trump gains also seem to be in place that went from basically not having any foreigners, to having a noticeable number.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Fenster said:

I never thought I'd say this, but Theresa seems to have come out of the last few days as a woman reborn. Her government seems refreshed, she relaxed yet emboldened, the nation as one. (DD and Boris meanwhile just feel like so much dead wood, to be hacked away and merrily chucked in the skip.)

And it will be lovely for her MPs to knock on voters' doors explaining the greatness of her Brexit deal when the leading Brexiteers in her government have resigned due to betrayal.

I suppose the EU was always destined to tear the Tories apart. Great opportunity for Corbyn now.
    It's vital now that Theresa spins her EU deal as an unmitigated triumph. That shouldn't be too difficult - the EU will be helpful with that, and the Cabinet should be able to speak with a single, enthusiastic voice now that the moaning minnies have slouched off. Thereafter if Boris or DD criticise it'll just sound like sour grapes - from a pair of losers who weren't up to the task themselves.
    She's had a lot of help on that front so far.

Chuka Ummuna, Ken Clarke, Polly McKenzie, Vince Cable and Andrew Adonis have been vocal in their support.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    stodge said:

Scott_P said:
    What's the "Hmmmm" for ?

Sky Sports Racing is the re-brand of At The Races that will launch next year. Ascot was shown on ATR until Racing UK poached the media rights three or four years ago.

None of this affects the ITV Racing Contract so the arrangement basically will be:

Sky if you want detailed racing coverage
    ITV if you want racing with fashion, frippery and royals.

Currently ATR isn't part of the Sky Sports package so you don't need an extra subscription if you have the basic package.

Will Sky Sports Racing be part of the Sky Sports package?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Don't worry. The Fireplace Salesman is checking his junk folder for the PESCO application form.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Really? The Tory party has never been wedded to the EU? The Tory party has until very recently always been pro-the EU. It is the UKIP tendency within it which has turned a party which understood the value of engagement with Europe into one which apparently sees the EU as an enemy.

It is possible to be sceptical, even highly sceptical, of the EU's structures, political direction and bureaucracy while still recognising that, overall, the positives for Europe as a whole and for Britain, outweigh the negatives. The Tory party used to understand that. It was why one of the best achievements of the EU - the Single Market - was to a very significant extent the brainchild of Britain, a Britain run by a Tory government that would never have had senior politicians saying "Fuck business". It was Labour (see its 1983 manifesto) which was stupid over Europe. Corbyn may still be stuck in 1983 as far as the EU is concerned but the Tory party is now behaving utterly stupidly over the EU - and is doing so in a manner which is detrimental to itself but, more importantly, utterly detrimental to the country's interests.

That is not - and has not - been the M.O. of the Tory party in most of my lifetime. Still, every so often parties are taken over by their militant tendency. We saw this over Maastricht. We are seeing it now. Tories need to grow up and behave like adults.

If the facts change - and lots of facts in the world have changed since 23 June 2016 - sensible people reconsider and some may even change their mind.

A very large majority of Conservative voters now favour leaving the EU, not just the awkward squad.
    Members also, I think MPs as well, by a small margin. Today's awkward squad in the party is the 20 or so Remain-ultras who want to subvert democracy and keep us in the EU.

Also, as for treating the EU as if it were an enemy, I think when one is in a negotiation one needs to have that mindset because the opposing party will. Unfortunately this kind of negotiation will always be a zero sum game, the EU has always tried to ensure that.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Reality being that China is a nation that companies are investing in and have been for decades?

Not sure what that has to do with Brexit.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Sean_F said:

We need to wait for the impact of Brexit becoming a defined thing rather than an abstract aspiration to be absorbed before drawing conclusions. Those Brexit supporters will divide three ways: people who accept the settlement, people who think it's not worth it, and people who reject the settlement and think another way is possible.

At the moment the government's job is to convince people that TINA.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815

Fenster said:

I never thought I'd say this, but Theresa seems to have come out of the last few days as a woman reborn. Her government seems refreshed, she relaxed yet emboldened, the nation as one. (DD and Boris meanwhile just feel like so much dead wood, to be hacked away and merrily chucked in the skip.)

And it will be lovely for her MPs to knock on voters' doors explaining the greatness of her Brexit deal when the leading Brexiteers in her government have resigned due to betrayal.

I suppose the EU was always destined to tear the Tories apart. Great opportunity for Corbyn now.
    It's vital now that Theresa spins her EU deal as an unmitigated triumph.
    LOL!

Nobody believes a word the woman says any more.

Like literally she could say the sky is blue and everyone would think, liar!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,288

Scott_P said:
    Reality being that China is a nation that companies are investing in and have been for decades?

Of course it is not Brexit related just as Airbus are building some planes in China for their market
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

Scott_P said:

Yeah, but China is part of the Single Market, obviously.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Fenster said:

LOL!

Just a respectful correction. Nobody is untrue. Just the Brexiteers believe that
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Fenster said:

Fenster said:

It's vital now that Theresa spins her EU deal as an unmitigated triumph. That shouldn't be too difficult - the EU will be helpful with that, and the Cabinet should be able to speak with a single, enthusiastic voice now that the moaning minnies have slouched off. Thereafter if Boris or DD criticise it'll just sound like sour grapes - from a pair of losers who weren't up to the task themselves.
    She's had a lot of help on that front so far.

Chuka Ummuna, Ken Clarke, Polly McKenzie, Vince Cable and Andrew Adonis have been vocal in their support.
    I'm sure her party members and voters will just love the fact that fanatical remainers like Adonis and Cable think Theresa May has come up with a "good" deal... Can't see that leading to a collapse in the Tories polling position. No sir...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2018
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/The_ChrisShaw/status/1016606656933834753

But that is how selling your products in China works...you have to have a joint venture there with a local firm or face barrier to entry / import taxes that make you at best uncompetitive at worst locked out of their market.

Brexit or no Brexit, you basically can't sell your cars in China unless you do that.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    Scott_P said:
    Please tell me that idiot didn't say that. Would be right up there with the Chequers taxi comments. Very stupid to provoke the US when the EU is so weak.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Please tell me that idiot didn't say that. Would be right up there with the Chequers taxi comments. Very stupid to provoke the US when the EU is so weak.
    Unfortunately they have an unrealistic opinion of their strength, and not just on this
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Urquhart, the Chinese must be very grateful to us. Just think how poor they'd be if we hadn't voted to leave the EU.

Ahem.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

Will Sky Sports Racing be part of the Sky Sports package?

Apparently not, Philip. It will be available on the same terms as now though whether it will move channels or not I don't know.

The one area where Racing UK has stolen a march is HD and that might be an issue if you have to pay extra to get HD coverage.

The new Ascot contract doesn't start until March 2019 so the bulk of the coming winter's coverage will still be on RUK.

Racing UK will be sad to lose Ascot but this was highly likely once they grabbed the Irish coverage. Sky Sports Racing will be ATR minus Irish racing and Chelmsford but plus Ascot, Chester and Bangor.

I also believe SSR (as I shall call them) have got exclusive rights for the Arc de Triomphe, Breeders Cup and Melbourne Cup from next year so it's a life in quality terms albeit the loss of Irish racing will leave the SSR winter coverage looking a little bleak - mainly All Weather tracks.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Scott_P said:
    There are more American soldiers based in Europe than Germany has in its entire army.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

GIN1138 said:

Fenster said:

LOL!

Just a respectful correction. Nobody is untrue. Just the Brexiteers believe that

I think it's a lot more than that.

Remember the election she said she'd never call and then called?

The woman is as slippery as an eel.

I'm actually shocked as I really brought into the "what you see is what you get" persona she started off with as PM. In fact she's turned out to probably be a more deceitful PM than even Blair was and that's saying something...
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

Mr. Urquhart, the Chinese must be very grateful to us. Just think how poor they'd be if we hadn't voted to leave the EU.

Ahem.

So are we saying that the electric mini will no longer be built at Cowley?
  • Options
    currystar said:

Ahem.

No.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    currystar said:

Ahem.

No...in order to get access to the Chinese market, you basically have to form a joint venture with a Chinese company (and make your products there).

However, it is well known that even when they do that, the Western companies produce an inferior model for the Chinese market.
  • Options
    currystar said:

Ahem.

No, that will be one built specifically for the Chinese market. It would be happening with or without Brexit because of the way China has it's tariffs set up.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Indeed but not all Conservative voters are leavers and nor are all leavers Conservatives.

There are REMAIN Conservatives who presumably view any Conservative Government as preferable to the alternative (understandably) and there are LEAVE voters outside the Conservative camp who wouldn't trust the Conservatives to run a bath let alone conduct a complex series of negotiations with the EU.

Will there be a sense of betrayal and anger stemming from that and how will that manifest itself electorally? I don't know - it's possible the Conservatives will get a kicking in the 2019 locals. As they are defending in excess of 5,000 seats won on the high tide of the 2015 GE victory, I'd argue losses are likely if not inevitable.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

currystar said:

Ahem.

No...in order to get access to the Chinese market, you basically have to form a joint venture with a Chinese company (and make your products there).

However, it is well known that even when they do that, the Western companies produce an inferior model for the Chinese market.
    So what was the point of that nonsense about Brexit causing Mini production to move to China
  • Options
    currystar said:

currystar said:

Ahem.

So what was the point of that nonsense about Brexit causing Mini production to move to China
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    currystar said:

currystar said:

Ahem.

It is just an ill informed tweet.

Some people see every single decision in the whole world as something to do with Brexit, when it just isn't.

Companies are desperate to get into the Chinese market, especially car companies as the middle class is growing in size and wealth. But import tariffs on foreign cars can make a car sometimes 4x as expensive, so the only real way of selling to the mass market is via joint venture.

However the model produced in China will be quite different to the Western one, so much so that the rich in China will often still buy the non-Chinese version.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Trump may be trying to suggest that European NATO states need to buy more American equipment.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,414
    Jeremy Hunt looking even more impressive

https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/1016633836686532608
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Fenster said:

Scott_P said:
    There are more American soldiers based in Europe than Germany has in its entire army.
    The US armed forces cost their citizens an absolute fortune but they could probably take on Europe, China and Russia's forces combined and win (Or draw if nukes are involved I s'pose)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    dr_spyn said:

Trump may be trying to suggest that European NATO states need to buy more American equipment.

Yeah like the US buying all those Airbus tankers. ;)
  • Options

Jeremy Hunt looking even more impressive

https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/1016633836686532608

Home is a tougher brief than foreign. Foreign is really difficult to screw up as it mostly just involves gladhanding other foreign leaders. Home probably the toughest department of all.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    MaxPB said:

Members also, I think MPs as well, by a small margin. Today's awkward squad in the party is the 20 or so Remain-ultras who want to subvert democracy and keep us in the EU.

Also, as for treating the EU as if it were an enemy, I think when one is in a negotiation one needs to have that mindset because the opposing party will. Unfortunately this kind of negotiation will always be a zero sum game, the EU has always tried to ensure that.

It's not even a zero sum game. It is turning into a negative sum game because rather than engage in rational negotiation the EU elites are giving the impression of being quite willing to work towards an outcome that damages EU states so long as it damages the UK as well. Above all, a Brexit that works for the UK must for them be avoided, at whatever cost.

The EU are aided in that by a supine UK government which has failed to call Barnier's bluff at every tum, as exemplified by David Davis's frustration at his inability to get clearance to make substantive preparations for a no deal Brexit. Did we learn nothing from the corner that Greece were backed into in their debt crisis, in the absence of a Plan B? The UK's attitude suggests that the EU elites may be able to get away with it, as a result of which the pressure on EU elites from EU states and business to change their stance is so far quite limited.

Had the UK walked away from negotiations by now in response to the unreasonableness of the terms offered, it would paradoxically make a mutually beneficial negotiated solution more likely. The EU elite would be under immense pressure from the government of member states to moderate unreasonable terms rather than deal with the loss of free access to a key market where the balance of trade in goods is hugely in their favour (and accounts for almost all of the UK's balance of payments deficit). As it stands, it looks like the final negotiated "deal" could well fail to gain parliamentary clearance even if no further UK concessions are made.
  • Options
    Away from our "little local difficulties" some positive news from Africa:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44771292

Perhaps we should invite President Abiy Ahmed to sort out A50 ? Also interesting to see where Eritrea goes in the next decade.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So, brains trust - as of today, is the consensus that Theresa May will be replaced in office before or after Brexit?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Scott_P said:
    more drivel

vehcle manufacturers set up production facilities all over globe.

JLR already have facilities in China and India

stick to dry humping Boris, at least youre in a territory you understand
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,923
    Chameleon said:

Who edits this rag? Trump doesn’t bow to the queen - he’s a fellow head of state!

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/1016445458988916740?s=21

That's where you'e wrong. A HoS that has been in place for longer takes seniority over one that hasn't been in place for so long. Currently our dear Queen is technically the most senior person in the world, as she's the longest reigning head of state.
    It is all a load of bollox, she is an old granny and he is a headbanger, both crap and spew like everyone else.
  • Options

So, brains trust - as of today, is the consensus that Theresa May will be replaced in office before or after Brexit?

Before.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Before, I think. I guess it depends on what has to be sorted before March next year. If they can keep up the illusion that the Chequers deal is the final deal until after March, then she might be able to hang on.
  • Options
    Mr. Phil, it'd be fascinating to learn if May's cocktail of prevarication and capitulation is due to duplicity or incompetence.

Mr. Meeks, I think she'll survive until after the deal is signed. Imagine you're an ambitious Conservative. If you take over now, you still need to sort the deal (or no deal, or we remain). You have every chance to be damaged and taken out rapidly.

They'll still want May to take the bullet. That changes if the price of the deal for the Conservatives exceeds the benefit of supporting May. If they sign up to the Worst Deal Ever, that sinks their hopes.

As an aside, what do you make of May's proposal?
  • Options
    So France v Belgium tonight.

Who goes through?
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, also, Prime Ministers often take a lead on foreign affairs now.

Foreign Secretary has a lot of prestige but far fewer pitfalls (or even difficult duties, it seems) than other big gigs.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Before.
    So how will she be replaced before March 2019 when she will win any VNOC and then that keeps her in place for at least a further year

The Brexiteers do not have the numbers which has been generally agreed within the media today
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

We’ll have a much clearer idea in a week or so, when we can see if there’s any more resignations as well as the initial EU reaction to the White Paper. If it looks like there’s a deal to be done on the Chequers terms then the PM is safe, if the EU say no chance or half the cabinet resign then she’s toast. Probably 50/50 at the moment.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Who goes through?

I really hope Belgium

an England France final would be nightmare as Brooke Juniors girlfriend is francaise and with us for the weekend
  • Options

Who goes through?

Cannot look past France but this is a world cup like no other
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,923

Yesterday was utter chaos and it seems today that it is possible to paint a new picture on the politics of all this.

The cabinet is now much more centrist and better for the loss of David Davis (who I do like) and Boris (who I do not) as Davis who seems to have given up on the process long ago, with only 4 hours of meetings with Barnier this year (just think about that for a moment), had run out of interest and Boris who yet again insulting Foreign leaders yesterday, told Airbus to FO, ducked out of a vote on Heathrow, and generally acted as unreliable self-centred colleague and friend.

Last night TM received an excellent reception at the 1922 committee meeting with lots of banging of desks and a clear display of support. A VONC did not materialise despite all the huffing and puffing and I do not expect one, at least, until the Autumn as it must be clear to the saner Brexiteers (JRM) that TM would receive a substantial endorsement by her MP’s and that would end any challenge for a year at the least.

Boris is the party’s Corbyn, loved by the membership, despised by most of the conservative MP’s. In the event TM stands down (unlikely) or eventually loses a challenge Boris is clear favourite to win a membership ballot (I agree with Hyfrud on this) but there would be huge moves by MP’s to keep him off the ballot.

Personally I do not want him anywhere near the leadership and my team at present would be Sajid Javid with Michael Gove as COE.

I believe after these tumultuous days the conservatives will receive a polling hit but it is not clear that Labour will receive a boost. Anything could happen but I am sure that a hard Brexit has become much more likely (I genuinely hope not) and remain is no longer an option.

I see that immigration is becoming much more palatable and that must have to do with the daily reports of the NHS loosing staff because of the Brexit uncertainty and the fact we need 100,000 more NHS workers now. That could in time play more to immigration becoming less of an issue, but only as long as it can be seen to be controlled.

And finally I have often been accused of being TM cheer leader and in truth I have admired her determination and steel under enormous pressure but I also accept she is a hopeless communicator. I do hope she stays in place for Brexit as I do believe that at this time it is in the National interest but am equalled prepared to throw my hat in the ring for Sajid Javid. However, we do need a new leader before the next election and preferable one to unite the party, not one who would split it (Boris)

G if pipsqueak Javid and backstabber Gove are the best of the Tories, God help the UK
  • Options

Mr. Phil, it'd be fascinating to learn if May's cocktail of prevarication and capitulation is due to duplicity or incompetence.

Mr. Meeks, I think she'll survive until after the deal is signed. Imagine you're an ambitious Conservative. If you take over now, you still need to sort the deal (or no deal, or we remain). You have every chance to be damaged and taken out rapidly.

They'll still want May to take the bullet. That changes if the price of the deal for the Conservatives exceeds the benefit of supporting May. If they sign up to the Worst Deal Ever, that sinks their hopes.

As an aside, what do you make of May's proposal?

I did a thread header on the proposals last night which sets out my views. They aren't wonderful but they are proposals, which is more than any of her critics have so far managed to produce.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Yesterday was utter chaos and it seems today that it is possible to paint a new picture on the politics of all this.

The cabinet is now much more centrist and better for the loss of David Davis (who I do like) and Boris (who I do not) as Davis who seems to have given up on the process long ago, with only 4 hours of meetings with Barnier this year (just think about that for a moment), had run out of interest and Boris who yet again insulting Foreign leaders yesterday, told Airbus to FO, ducked out of a vote on Heathrow, and generally acted as unreliable self-centred colleague and friend.

Last night TM received an excellent reception at the 1922 committee meeting with lots of banging of desks and a clear display of support. A VONC did not materialise despite all the huffing and puffing and I do not expect one, at least, until the Autumn as it must be clear to the saner Brexiteers (JRM) that TM would receive a substantial endorsement by her MP’s and that would end any challenge for a year at the least.

Boris is the party’s Corbyn, loved by the membership, despised by most of the conservative MP’s. In the event TM stands down (unlikely) or eventually loses a challenge Boris is clear favourite to win a membership ballot (I agree with Hyfrud on this) but there would be huge moves by MP’s to keep him off the ballot.

Personally I do not want him anywhere near the leadership and my team at present would be Sajid Javid with Michael Gove as COE.

I believe after these tumultuous days the conservatives will receive a polling hit but it is not clear that Labour will receive a boost. Anything could happen but I am sure that a hard Brexit has become much more likely (I genuinely hope not) and remain is no longer an option.

I see that immigration is becoming much more palatable and that must have to do with the daily reports of the NHS loosing staff because of the Brexit uncertainty and the fact we need 100,000 more NHS workers now. That could in time play more to immigration becoming less of an issue, but only as long as it can be seen to be controlled.

And finally I have often been accused of being TM cheer leader and in truth I have admired her determination and steel under enormous pressure but I also accept she is a hopeless communicator. I do hope she stays in place for Brexit as I do believe that at this time it is in the National interest but am equalled prepared to throw my hat in the ring for Sajid Javid. However, we do need a new leader before the next election and preferable one to unite the party, not one who would split it (Boris)

G if pipsqueak Javid and backstabber Gove are the best of the Tories, God help the UK
    Morning Malc - thanks for your comments and I hope you are well and enjoying the weather. Was in Gods own Country two weeks ago and return in 10 days for another week.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've got a little on Belgium to win the tournament at 12. But I had many other bets, all of which have failed (excepting Croatia to win the tournament at 36, which is still possible, for now).

I think France are favourites but a Belgian victory is well within the realms of possibility.

At the moment, I'm unsure how to proceed betting-wise. I'm wondering about letting the bet stand, and if Belgium win backing England for the tournament.

Knotty.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

We’ll have a much clearer idea in a week or so, when we can see if there’s any more resignations as well as the initial EU reaction to the White Paper. If it looks like there’s a deal to be done on the Chequers terms then the PM is safe, if the EU say no chance or half the cabinet resign then she’s toast. Probably 50/50 at the moment.
    If the EU were stupid enough to say no chance she will walk away. Politically she would have no choice
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,582

After, if we're talking about the official date next year.

Though whether I qualify as brains...
  • Options
    The new rolling quarterly GDP estimates don't paint an inspiring picture:

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1016600773260709888
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    glw said:

dr_spyn said:

Yeah like the US buying all those Airbus tankers. ;)
    Northrop Grumman was the prime on the KC-45 and they would have all been built in Alabama. It had about the same level of European content as the KC-46 which won the KC-X competition - not much. The biggest difference was the British fuelling system. Boeing just had a better legal and lobbying game.
  • Options
    New Thread.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Gove is easily the perkiest person at that table. You almost might think he was delighted to see Boris go, or maybe it was something he ate for breakfast.
  • Options
    Before - the EU says the four freedoms are indivisible, but freedom of goods is demanded for Northern Ireland. That demands freedom of goods for the whole of the UK (Or else the DUP will bring the Gov't down as otherwise would create an Irish sea border). The EU has said the NI situation can't be the case for the rest of the UK whilst demanding indivisible four freedoms on the island of Ireland.
    Freedom of movement of people is actually the easiest on to solve wrt an NI situation as every NI person is eligible for an Irish passport which guarantees them FoM.
    I simply can't see how the northern irish situation is solvable, let alone solved given the apparent resolve the EU have for their indivisibility of freedoms and insistence that there is absolubtely no new divisions on the island.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076

What daily reports of the NHS losing staff ?

Can you provide some evidence of these 'daily reports' because I'm jut googled it and saw nothing.

Meanwhile according to the ONS employment in the NHS is at its highest level ever.

Page 4.1 in the spreadsheet available here:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/datasets/summaryoflabourmarketstatistics
This discussion has been closed.