Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters still make a 2018 exit for TMay the favourite but the

Comments

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

So we can officially blame remain from now on for things going wrong ,thanks scott for that.

If the commission says no, which given what they have said to date seems probable, what is May's plan? I can't see how she can survive her "agreement" being rejected.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AndyJS said:

Dad-of-two is so confident England will win the World Cup he's had THIS tattoo...

Dad-of-two Teddy Allen is so convinced England will win football's biggest tournament he’s had a special tattoo of captain Harry Kane inked on his thigh - with the words ‘World Cup winners’.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/dad-two-confident-england-win-1766416

Reminds me of the London woman who bet £100k on Remain winning the EU referendum.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/william-hill-says-londoner-lumped-100000-on-eu-referendum-2016-5
    At least she is still prime minister.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,532

Scott_P said:

The malcontents are melting away. Theresa reigns supreme!

Yup.

Without cabinet cover and the intellectual heavyweights of (checks notes) Davis and Johnson, the Ultras are a busted flush.
    Love it how most of the remain camp who have slaughtered May for months now think she's wonderful.

It's a delicious watch.
    One might reasonably observe, after endless stuff from the Brexiteers about having been 'beaten by a bus', that they appear to have been seen off by one of the weakest Prime Ministers in living memory...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

Yup.

Without cabinet cover and the intellectual heavyweights of (checks notes) Davis and Johnson, the Ultras are a busted flush.
    Love it how most of the remain camp who have slaughtered May for months now think she's wonderful.

It's a delicious watch.
    One might reasonably observe, after endless stuff from the Brexiteers about having been 'beaten by a bus', that they appear to have been seen off by one of the weakest Prime Ministers in living memory...
    She's just made more enemies on the backbenches, this is where she will be seen off.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,223
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

ttps://twitter.com/elashton/status/1016695573590704128

This is the Iranian woman in jail in Iran. Short of some kind words from our ambassador in Tehran we really can’t do much else.
    In jail in Iran for allegedly breaching Iranian law in Iran. We may have serious reservations about the fairness of the process, the quality of the evidence against her and the savagery of the sentences for things that most countries would not even regard as a crime but other than making representations it is not clear what we can do about it.

We have split with our closest ally over Iran, resisted further sanctions and sought to uphold the Nuclear agreement that Trump wants to walk away from. If none of that is moving what seems to be a politically driven process I fear that we are out of moves.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Scott_P said:

Yup.

It's a delicious watch.
    You might have noticed I've said May's been doing a brilliant job of testing Brexit to destruction and giving the Brexiteers enough rope to hand themselves from the beginning. It seems to have been largely correct.
  • Options
    glw said:

So we can officially blame remain from now on for things going wrong ,thanks scott for that.

If the commission says no, which given what they have said to date seems probable, what is May's plan? I can't see how she can survive her "agreement" being rejected.
    That bloody useless remain May government ;-)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

Yup.

It's a delicious watch.
    She's just made more enemies on the backbenches, this is where she will be seen off.
    Quite likely.
    But before she signs a deal with Barnier ?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    glw said:

'80% agreed', according to Barnier, about an hour ago.
    Though there is the question of what the 20% might mean.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

FPT

GIN1138 said:

So, brains trust - as of today, is the consensus that Theresa May will be replaced in office before or after Brexit?

Before.
    So how will she be replaced before March 2019 when she will win any VNOC and then that keeps her in place for at least a further year

The Brexiteers do not have the numbers which has been generally agreed within the media today
    She'll win a VONC but this idea she could carry on with a majority of 1 is for the birds.

If her majority comes in under 100 her position will be untenable, IMO.
    The next election is probably now lost for the Tories whoever is leading them. The only question is how bad the defeat will be.

Suffice to say is they are stupid enough to allow Theresa May to face the electorate a second time they will deserve the oblivion that will surely face them.
    That will not happen with Corbyn as Labour Leader and Cable as Lib Dem leader. A Blair type figure needs to emerge for that to happen
    Even after 2017 there seems to be so much complacency about Corbyn.

All the Corbyn scares were barely enough in 2017 but the Tories will be vastly more unpopular with their voters than they were in 2017 whenever they dare front up to face the electorate.

And that's without the probable added complication of a Farage comeback. Things are going to get very, very serious for the Conservatives.
    Dave won a majority when UKIP polled nearly 13%.

Mrs May didn't win a majority when UKIP polled less than 2%.

A good Tory leader knows how to win a majority with UKIP polling highly.
    Dave 2015 votes 11,334,226
    May 2017 votes 13,636,684

Dave 2015 Scottish seats 1
    May 2017 Scottish seats 13
    She lost seats to Corbyn. And the idea that she was responsible for the success in Scotland is risible.
    Dave 2015 36.9%
    May 2017 42.4%
    Dave 2017 330 seats.
    May 2017 317

Lucky Ruth won those extra seats in Scotland wasn't it
    Also lucky that Corbyn won only 4 more seats than Gordon did in 2010, isn't it?
    More pertinently he won 30 more than Ed.
    Yes, that's why Corbyn is presently PM, isn't it? Oh, wait....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited July 2018
    Scott_P said:
    TM has proved to be a remainer in leave clothing. I'm beginning to think her plan was to sabotage brexit all along, it wouldn't surprise me if Cameron had asked her to remain neutral and out of site during the referendum campaign, just incase leave won, as a back up plan to prevent us ever truly leaving the EU. Brexit never stood a chance with a remainer at the helm.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

glw said:

That bloody useless remain May government ;-)
    It's quite simple, May's MO has been to refuse to make a decision and hence in order to force her to do so, each side had to try to shout the loudest. Intra-cabinet that worked and hence the indulgence of the Leavers as they are of course all loudmouthed gobshites.

Thing is, the looming deadline, together with the realisation that the structure and harmony of the United Kingdom was at stake ended up being the loudest voice of all.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    If you think this is good leadership you know nothing about how to lead. It's not a 'good move' because this will all come back to bite her so hard on the arse she won't be able to sit for a year.

A good move would have been having the balls successfully to steer the country to that for which it voted, not fidgeting and dithering and then acting as a Maybot.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

glw said:

probably - FOM, Goods and Services Common Rule Book, Preferential rights to EU citizens, Continuing payments to EU, BINO
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    TM has proved to be a remainer in leave clothing. I'm beginning to think her plan was to sabotage brexit all along, it wouldn't surprise me if Cameron had asked her to remain neutral and out of site during the referendum campaign, just incase leave won, as a back up plan to prevent us ever truly leaving the EU. Brexit never stood a chance with a remainer at the helm.
    Or having given the Brexiteers two years to get their act together, has had enough of their incompetence and is putting some grown-ups in charge at last.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

Yup.

It's a delicious watch.
    Indeed.

Hilarious that remainers are in a mood to crow when May's stock has slumped. It's not a question of whether she is toppled, but when.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    Or having given the Brexiteers two years to get their act together, has had enough of their incompetence and is putting some grown-ups in charge at last.
    She has blocked them at every turn, and probably cocked up GE 2017 on purpose as well
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That depends. When it breaks, she will own it. Personally. She also gives the leavers a way out - she will be seen to have forced them out and stopped them from adopting their harder position - so they will be able to say that it's not THEIR Brexit. I suspect most Leave voters will accept that view.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    If you think this is good leadership you know nothing about how to lead. It's not a 'good move' because this will all come back to bite her so hard on the arse she won't be able to sit for a year.

A good move would have been having the balls successfully to steer the country to that for which it voted, not fidgeting and dithering and then acting as a Maybot.
    And did it vote for a hard border in Ireland or friction in goods trade? If not, anything beyond the basic parameters of May’s deal is not what people voted for.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

rpjs said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    She has blocked them at every turn, and probably cocked up GE 2017 on purpose as well
    She should never have agreed to NI backstop, or offered 39 billion without conditions, and what happened to no deal is better than a bad deal, she is the saboteur
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

glw said:

She gives in on freedom of movement to the EU then she and the remain Tory government can fcuk right off.

The message will hit home in Midlands/north parts of the country where this matters that your vote has been betrayed.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    That depends. When it breaks, she will own it. Personally. She also gives the leavers a way out - she will be seen to have forced them out and stopped them from adopting their harder position - so they will be able to say that it's not THEIR Brexit. I suspect most Leave voters will accept that view.
    Remain now own the chequers plan, they have kicked out leave, the blame will fall rightly on TM
  • Options
    rpjs said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    Absolutely. If she had won a large majority last year we would be heading towards a hard Brexit.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

rpjs said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    She should never have agreed to NI backstop, or offered 39 billion without conditions, and what happened to no deal is better than a bad deal, she is the saboteur
    LOL.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I am reminded of the quote...be nice to people on the way up, as you will meet them on the way down.

The stuff like the taxi comments, they have a nasty habit of biting one on the arse.
  • Options
    Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo is set to be confirmed as a Juventus player, possibly in a matter of hours.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rpjs said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    Absolutely. If she had won a large majority last year we would be heading towards a hard Brexit.
    I doubt it would have changed her fundamental calculations much. She'd still have manoeuvred the hard Brexiteers into a game of chicken where they would have got run over by the EU and by reality.
  • Options
    I love how for PB Brexiteers TMay is simultaneously the most incompetent Prime Minister in history and a machiavellian operator beyond compare!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

glw said:

She gives in on freedom of movement to the EU then she and the remain Tory government can fcuk right off....
    Has she not said that she won't do so ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

glw said:

She gives in on freedom of movement to the EU then she and the remain Tory government can fcuk right off....
    SHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Don't tell the Leavers. They think she has.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

I love how for PB Brexiteers TMay is simultaneously the most incompetent Prime Minister in history and a machiavellian operator beyond compare!

TSE called her a poundshop gordon brown.

May = Poundland
    Davis & boris = PoundWorld
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

rpjs said:

May = Poundland
    As they've now gone, wouldn't the 99p Store be more apt for Davis and Boris?
  • Options

rpjs said:

May = Poundland
    Poundworld just went bust.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

rpjs said:

May = Poundland
    Gordon Brown is so far the best PM of the 21st century, by a country mile. That is how much shit we are in.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

rpjs said:

May = Poundland
    Poundworld just went bust.
    Huh?

*Googles*

Crikey.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    To listen to our more deluded Leaver posters, you would have thought that Theresa May had indulged in a night of the long knives, rather than been the recent subject of a concerted set of resignations.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Ishmael_Z said:

rpjs said:

May = Poundland
    Gordon Brown is so far the best PM of the 21st century, by a country mile. That is how much shit we are in.
    The only one to lose an election?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:
    A man who thinks the President can't be convicted of any crimes.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    rpjs said:

I’m not sure WilliamGlenn is a “PB Brexiteer” myself...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Scott_P said:
    Very silly response to ally themselves with a group of 50 or so MPs who have no ability at all to deliver any kind of Brexit. I'd have hoped Bradley might have learnt from his JC 'libel' experience to be more measured.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

glw said:

She has said lots of things she won't do - and then done them! Her red lines aren't every fixed.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

rpjs said:

May = Poundland
    You have bought in toTSE's fallacy of thinking that how you get the gig is what matters, not what you actually do once you've got it.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

sign of the times

India supplants France as worlds 6th largest economy. We're next to drop.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/economie/le-scan-eco/dessous-chiffres/2018/07/10/29006-20180710ARTFIG00210-pib-la-france-recule-a-la-7eme-place-de-l-economie-mondiale-derriere-l-inde.php

Europe is increasingly irrelevant
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,195
    Scott_P said:
    May will have total control of the party at this rate.

• Options
    I'm guessing this is part of the 'regular resignations' of 'top' Tory MPs in the government to wear May down. Good to see they are continuing with the big guns :)
  • Options
    rpjs said:

it's the mirror image of how Remainers are all super smart with whizzo degrees but were outwitted by a bus
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,195
    I suppose the Brexiteers on TwatsApp think that a steady drip drip of resignations for the last two weeks of the summer session will make May change her mind.

They need to recall Ken's view of May.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

I am reminded of the quote...be nice to people on the way up, as you will meet them on the way down.

The stuff like the taxi comments, they have a nasty habit of biting one on the arse.

Without putting too fine a point on it, Theresa May is 62 in October and suffers from Type 1 diabetes. I dare say there won't be a "way down" for her as this will be her last job in politics before retirement. This is pure speculation on my part although I suspect the odds are with my forecast being proved right.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,816

FWIW, Kantar have Con 40%, Lab 38%, Lib Dem 9%, polling from 5th to 9th July.
  • Options

I suppose the Brexiteers on TwatsApp think that a steady drip drip of resignations for the last two weeks of the summer session will make May change her mind.

I think she has the strategy laid out perfectly. She's not just aiming to survive, but to expunge the hard Brexit wing from the party altogether.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    rpjs said:

She is the most incompetent PM in history who has failed in everything she set out to achieve while allowing the real Machiavellians (the EU Commission/Barnier and UK Civil Service/Sir Humphrey/Robbins) to achieve what they want.
  • Options

sign of the times

http://www.lefigaro.fr/economie/le-scan-eco/dessous-chiffres/2018/07/10/29006-20180710ARTFIG00210-pib-la-france-recule-a-la-7eme-place-de-l-economie-mondiale-derriere-l-inde.php

India's population is about 20 times the size of France's so it doesn't mean very much.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Lewes is LibDem target #10 and a reasonably likely gain. Caulfield pinning her flag to a hard Brexit seems... brave?
  • Options
    I don't think the Manx missile has it anymore.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942

Scott_P said:
    May will have total control of the party at this rate.

What's left of it...
  • Options

This should help Mrs May.

Donald Trump today heaped praise on Cabinet quitter Boris Johnson as he said the UK was in political “turmoil”.

In a humiliating intervention for Theresa May, the US President said the former Foreign Secretary - who quit the Government with a blast at her Brexit plans - was “a great friend of mine”.

And he said it would be up to the British people whether or not Mrs May remains in power.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/boris-johnson/news/96726/watch-donald-trump-heaps

Whoever would believe that Boris Johnson is great friends with a sexual predator who hangs out with white supremacists?

According to Max Hastings, his advice to Boris Johnson was "hold on to your willy." He didn't follow it.
  • Options

rpjs said:

it's the mirror image of how Remainers are all super smart with whizzo degrees but were outwitted by a bus
    This always strikes me as an odd meme.

It was the Leavers who were outwitted by the bus.

They were foolish enough to believe it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    A pair of complete nonentities, of whom no-one has ever heard, quietly depart.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

sign of the times

India's population is about 20 times the size of France's so it doesn't mean very much.
    have to differ with you on this one, it's a re-run of China though admittedly at a slower pace. Any forward projection I have seen says any European country will be lucky to be in the worlds top 10 economies by 2050.

And with size and growth comes the will to do things their own way. You could argue the Asian summits will soon speak for more people and more wealth than the G7
  • Options
    Anazina said:

This point has been made repeatedly.

Brexiteers on PB haven't worked it out yet, although it seems BoZo has (belatedly)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What's the oops?

May at Chequers flip flopped on control so why should she still be supported?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

rpjs said:

May = Poundland
    As Nick Berry forecast way back in 1986, it seems that Every Loser Wins in the postmodern political era.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

rpjs said:

May = Poundland
    Not the only one to fail to win an election though.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    edited July 2018

I think she has the strategy laid out perfectly. She's not just aiming to survive, but to expunge the hard Brexit wing from the party altogether.
    Hard to do unless Mogg, Cash, Wiggin, Davies, Chope, Paterson, Fox et al can all be deselected!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    Remain now own the chequers plan, they have kicked out leave, the blame will fall rightly on TM
    You can smell the desperation from here. I thought Brexit was meant to be great? Everyone seems to be running from it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Anazina said:

This point has been made repeatedly.

Brexiteers on PB haven't worked it out yet, although it seems BoZo has (belatedly)
    In which case, apologies for my lack of original thought. I'm glad, though, that others have recognised what a dumb meme it is!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Anazina said:

rpjs said:

nobody from Leave is complaining about the bus, it's remainers who despair about it most and constantly revel in their own stupidity

I mean you were beaten by Nigel Farage and David Davis, that's at a level where some of you couldn't spell EU let alone explain it.
  • Options
    Maria Caulfield is the Vice-Chair of the Irish in Britain Parliamentary group and she's resigned over the Irish backstop.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

sign of the times

A bizarre post. By such token, sliding down the global GDP league is just fine, provided those who have surpassed you have greater populations. I look forward to your sanguinity when the Democratic Republic of Congo overtakes the UK.
  • Options

Maria Caulfield is the Vice-Chair of the Irish in Britain Parliamentary group and she's resigned over the Irish backstop.

https://twitter.com/DFosterEvans/status/1016715048075563008
  • Options
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915

She's of Irish parentage.
  • Options

Hard to do unless Mogg, Cash, Wiggin, Davies, Chope, Paterson, Fox et al can all be deselected!
    If she goes for a second referendum which is won in a landslide by Remain, the hardcore sovereignists will either have to fall in line or leave.
  • Options

Anazina said:

rpjs said:

nobody from Leave is complaining about the bus, it's remainers who despair about it most and constantly revel in their own stupidity

I mean you were beaten by Nigel Farage and David Davis, that's at a level where some of you couldn't spell EU let alone explain it.
    I didn't bring up the bus – you did. I merely pointed out that it was Leavers who were foolish enough to believe it, not Remainers. It really is quite simple to understand.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    Who has kicked out whom? Leavers cried off, nobody kicked them out. They resigned. The clue is in the fact that they tabled resignation letters of their own volition. Nobody sacked them.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    One assumes that Stewart Jackson was not allowed to stay in position because he was unable to offer the necessary assurances of loyalty.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    edited July 2018
    Freggles said:

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    You can smell the desperation from here. I thought Brexit was meant to be great? Everyone seems to be running from it.
    Yes it seems a bit unwise to remove a Brexiter from a Brexit-related dept. Let them shovel the Brex-shit ... but do take care not to get it on the Remainers.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

sign of the times

A bizarre post. By such token, sliding down the global GDP league is just fine, provided those who have surpassed you have greater populations. I look forward to your sanguinity when the Democratic Republic of Congo overtakes the UK.
    If country A has 60m people and a GDP $2.4 trn, and country B has a population of 1.2 bn, and a GDP of $2.5 trn, which do you think is the more successful?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

Anorak said:

This should help Mrs May.

Donald Trump today heaped praise on Cabinet quitter Boris Johnson as he said the UK was in political “turmoil”.

In a humiliating intervention for Theresa May, the US President said the former Foreign Secretary - who quit the Government with a blast at her Brexit plans - was “a great friend of mine”.

And he said it would be up to the British people whether or not Mrs May remains in power.
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/boris-johnson/news/96726/watch-donald-trump-heaps

I think being slagged off by Trump should be embraced as an honour, not a humiliation. This helps Tessie more than the Blond Blagger.
    I'm wondering if Boris will attempt to reinvent himself as the British Trump. His appeal to the metropolitan liberal constituency has gone for ever. To salvage his career maybe becoming a hard-right easy-sell populist is an option.
    Absolutely, Boris will do whatever he needs to get the job he was. To be Tory candidate for Mayor and win the London Mayoralty that obviously meant appealing to a lot of wealthy liberals.

To become Tory leader and UK PM though it is Brexit backing lower middle and skilled working class voters in the provinces he needs to appeal to, a process he started by joining the Leave campaign in the EU referendum.

Trump too went from a backer of the Clintons in the 1990s to beating the Clintons in 2016 on a populist right ticket
  • Options

One assumes that Stewart Jackson was not allowed to stay in position because he was unable to offer the necessary assurances of loyalty.

Or any contribution of any measurable value?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    Ben Bradley gained Labour Mansfield on a poor night for the Tories in 2017. Caulfield ousted Norman Baker in Lewes and is a grounded former nurse quite popular in her constituency. I trust you are a non Tory otherwise your factionalism doesn't make good reading
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

sign of the times

I would be delighted if the Democratic Republic of Congo overtakes the UK so long as it is because of the Congo developing to our standards rather than the other way around.

I have no desire to wish perpetual poverty on the rest of the world to artificially inflate us up the rankings. Do you?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited July 2018
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

sign of the times

No it was correct. Most people would rather live in Luxembourg, Switzerland or Singapore than India or China or Brazil even though the latter has a larger gdp as the former has far higher GDP per capita and a higher standard of living.

The fact India is increasing the GDP for its vast population of over a billion is to be welcomed as it reduces the poverty there not bemoaned. The oddity us why France with a population of 60 million was ever ahead of India with a population almost 20 times larger
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

sign of the times

If country A has 60m people and a GDP $2.4 trn, and country B has a population of 1.2 bn, and a GDP of $2.5 trn, which do you think is the more successful?
    Yes I know, but this is not a league of GDP per capita (which is an entirely separate scale). The fact that India has surpassed France remains important and interesting despite the large differential in their population.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

sign of the times

I would be delighted if the Democratic Republic of Congo overtakes the UK so long as it is because of the Congo developing to our standards rather than the other way around.

I have no desire to wish perpetual poverty on the rest of the world to artificially inflate us up the rankings. Do you?
    Even if the Congo developed to the level of say, Nigeria, that would be a huge blessing for its population.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

sign of the times

No it was correct. Most people would rather live in Luxembourg, Switzerland or Singapore than India or China or Brazil even though the latter has a larger gdp as the former has far higher GDP per capita and a higher standard of living
    Oh crikey. The fact that France has been surpassed by India is still important. But you know what, have it. I can't be bothered to argue with you after the fiasco of the west London Tories. Life is just way, way, way too short.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

sign of the times

Even if the Congo developed to the level of say, Nigeria, that would be a huge blessing for its population.
    Absolutely.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

rpjs said:

I didn't bring up the bus – you did. I merely pointed out that it was Leavers who were foolish enough to believe it, not Remainers. It really is quite simple to understand.
    I voted Leave and didnt believe a single word of the bus. I also didn't believe Osborne's impending doom scenario.

The bus is simply indicative of sour grape losers who have blamed the inadequacies of their own campaign intermittently on

- everyones a racist
    - Vladimir Putin
    - Leave cheated
    - the bus
    - rain in London

they just cant accept the ran a crap campaign selling a defective product to an electorate they didn't understand.

run the campaign again and you'll still lose since you have learned nothing from the experience.

• Options
    Norm said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    Ben Bradley gained Labour Mansfield on a poor night for the Tories in 2017. Caulfield ousted Norman Baker in Lewes and is a grounded former nurse quite popular in her constituency. I trust you are a non Tory otherwise your factionalism doesn't make good reading

Don't read it then. It's entirely voluntary.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

rpjs said:

I voted Leave and didnt believe a single word of the bus. I also didn't believe Osborne's impending doom scenario.

The bus is simply indicative of sour grape losers who have blamed the inadequacies of their own campaign intermittently on

- everyones a racist
    - Vladimir Putin
    - Leave cheated
    - the bus
    - rain in London

they just cant accept the ran a crap campaign selling a defective product to an electorate they didn't understand.

run the campaign again and you'll still lose since you have learned nothing from the experience.
    Unlike you, I assume that the voters have learnt something from the experience of the last two years. Despite the massive chip on your shoulder, there's an implicit contempt for ordinary people that runs through many of your posts.
This discussion has been closed.